dcm kx-12 upgrade? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i currently have a pair of dcm kx-12's and was thinking of replacing them w something like the energy c-100 bookshelfs or maybe infinity primus series and a sub. would this be an upgrade or more of a lateral move?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I'm not going to be able to answer your question, but I'm interested. I just acquired a pair of used DCM KX-12 Series 2 a couple days ago and have been listening to them and trying to calibrate my system to them. They're interesting speakers. I paid $39 for my pair, so if that gives a fair estimate of their worth, I guess you would be stepping up. But the original MSRP was $600, so who knows?

There are 77 user reviews at audioreview with little agreement among users. I think they sound good, but have noticed some boominess and occasional hollowness of voices. I think I've fixed the boominess by turning the 40Hz band of my receiver's equalizer to -6db.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

$40 lol, i think they are definately worth that price. i paid $150 almost ten years ago. i have always thought these speakers sounded incredible but i have no experience with high end audio gear. i guess im just curious as to whether or not im missing out by not ugrading to a quality 2.1 system.

i wasnt surprised when this thread didnt get any replies, not many people out there with giant dcm set ups. thanks for the relply and for hopefully reviving the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Although I have not specifically heard the Energy C-100 or Infinity Primus line, just going by the ~$125 price, I would say keep the DCM's. I think you will have get into the $300+ range to find worthy candidates to replace them. Of course, you should go out to some shops and just listen, those guys don't bite I went from DCM KX10's to Monitor Audio RS6's but they are in the ~$900 range.

Still have a DCM KX10 / Sansui QRX 6001 combo hooked up in my garage. They sound suprisingly good. The neighbors sure know when I'm working on a project out there or washing the car.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdark1 View Post

i currently have a pair of dcm kx-12's and was thinking of replacing them w something like the energy c-100 bookshelfs or maybe infinity primus series and a sub. would this be an upgrade or more of a lateral move?

I had KX-12's before I gave them to a friend a few months ago. I feel that what you are considering would be a lateral move. The DCM's are definitely a bass heavy party speaker, but they actually don't sound bad at all. The Infinity Primus would probably have better stereo imaging and clearer, more defined highs, but not so much that you need to swap out speakers. Also, with the KX's, you don't need to fool around with integrating a sub if you were to go with bookshelf speakers. Both Primus and the KX's have a bright high end, IMO, so you would not be drastically changing sound.

Unless you don't like the looks of the DCM's, or you don't like the big, bulky form factor, I'd say stay where you are and audition some speakers a bit higher up on the chain to truly hear a meaningful difference.

I like Ice Cream!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I use Axiom M3s with a sub in my living room system, and I think they are a definite step up from the KX-12s. The factory second price is $298 shipped.

Greg Lee
post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.

if i wanted to keep these speakers and integrate them w a center and 2 surrounds how could i go about finding a center that would be close to being matched? any suggestions for a center and surrounds? also could i just set my reciever to send the full bandwidth to the dcms and use the cross over on the center and surrounds. in effect using my dcms as my sub?
post #8 of 10 Old 05-02-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

well, nevermind on the speaker suggestions, i just found the matching center on ebay for cheap.

anyone have any idea how it would sound if i used my towers as my subs?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdark1 View Post

anyone have any idea how it would sound if i used my towers as my subs?

To answer your earlier question first, yes, you should be able to set your receiver to send bass from all channels to the L and R speakers. (No definitive answer is possible, since you haven't said what receiver you have.)

I have run the kx-12s as "large" without a sub and the other channels (center, LS, RS, BLS, RLS) as "small", and also run them this way with a sub. As one would expect, they're pretty good without a sub, but better with one. An advantage of running them with a sub is (oddly enough) that it's easier to reduce the bass, because you can designate the kx-12s as "small", set the crossover to whatever you want (as permitted by your receiver), then control the bass by setting its level at your receiver, setting its level with the sub's volume control, or even turning down the sub's crossover control.

Greg Lee
post #10 of 10 Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I've created an Official DCM KX speakers and subwoofers discussion thread and I encourage everyone who owns, uses, is knowledgeable about, and/or has questions about DCM KX speakers and/or subwoofers to use and subscribe to that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page