Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10303Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #33331 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,588
Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5646 Post(s)
Liked: 5505
I'd love to see @bwaslo work on an atmos disc that we can sweep all channels. 5.1 does a decent job, but not having the ability to run those additional channels troubles me sometimes.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #33332 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Got around to doing the sub distance tweak last night. Started with REW after reading through AustinJerrey's excellent guide. Got the ASIO drivers all setup but could get no sound to go to my receiver using the ASIO drivers. I could play a blu ray rip just fine. Had to use the java drivers which is a pain because it would be nice to pick the channel I want to use instead of turning off each amp. Had all kinds of issues, the graphs looked like I had a 30db house curve. Spent at least an hour screwing around with it, threw some stuff, said the F and C words several dozen times and yelled at my daughter for no good reason. Said screw REW and loaded up omni mic. I was taking measurements is less than a minute after plugging in the mic. Had the sub distance tweak done in 15 minutes.

Pretty much done with REW except maybe to open up the graphs I save from omnimic as it seems REW lets you view them easier with more info.

I am wondering if my new umik from cross spectrum labs is bad. Not sure how it should such a ridiculous house curve when it is only set as 6-8 db. Omnimic showed the true house curve. I may need to contact cross spectrum about the mic.
REW also drives me nuts... I typically get messages that it cannot find my sound card at some point in the measurement session (after taking several measurement sweeps). Have to re boot the computer and start over. Wish I had went with omnimic from the start. Drives me nuts.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #33333 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
REW also drives me nuts... I typically get messages that it cannot find my sound card at some point in the measurement session (after taking several measurement sweeps). Have to re boot the computer and start over. Wish I had went with omnimic from the start. Drives me nuts.
i started to learn REW a little at the beginning of the year, i got really busy and was basically forced to put it aside for a while. i never learned how to use it but i remember it frustrating the hell out of me. is the dayton OmniMic measurement system any easier to use?
if it is i think i will just order that instead...

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #33334 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
i started to learn REW a little at the beginning of the year, i got really busy and was basically forced to put it aside for a while. i never learned how to use it but i remember it frustrating the hell out of me. is the dayton OmniMic measurement system any easier to use?
if it is i think i will just order that instead...
Yes, almost plug and play.

Can be measuring 10 minutes after it comes in the mail.
raynist is offline  
post #33335 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Yes, almost plug and play.

Can be measuring 10 minutes after it comes in the mail.
wow im ordering right now! lol

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33336 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
is this the correct one?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-790

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33337 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
okay that is out of stock, i assume this is correct?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-792

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33338 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
okay that is out of stock, i assume this is correct?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-792
That is it.

They give you a nice boom mic stand too.

You can download and read through the manual before you get it too.
raynist is offline  
post #33339 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Member
 
jaimectrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
okay that is out of stock, i assume this is correct?
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ystem--390-792
Yes that's the one. Comes with a free tripod and an extra disk with more tracks. Just set mine up and took a few measurements. Pretty easy.
jaimectrs is offline  
post #33340 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
cool just ordered it. should be here thurs

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33341 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 3,625
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
The multichannel disc looks nice. Pretty much everyone I know uses omnimic, except me.

______________________________________
Home Theater:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #33342 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
ya 300 bucks isn't cheap when you can get REW for free, I'm just not that tech savy and don't wanna deal with the headaches of REW.

the 300 for the omnimic isn't whats gonna hurt, I'm on the verge of buying 4 slanted 8s but the price tag hurts to look at I WANT THEM SOOO BAD THOUGH!!
rhed and countryWV like this.

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33343 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
ya 300 bucks isn't cheap when you can get REW for free, I'm just not that tech savy and don't wanna deal with the headaches of REW.

the 300 for the omnimic isn't whats gonna hurt, I'm on the verge of buying 4 slanted 8s but the price tag hurts to look at I WANT THEM SOOO BAD THOUGH!!
REW was very expensive for me. Other than buying the $100 mic, it also caused me to destroy a laptop out of frustration (2 years ago, was taking steroids for bronchitis and I am a maniac on those....). Could have bought Omnimic back then and saved more than a grand 😡
HTPCat likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #33344 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Does omnimic require the pc to be connected to the avr/processor? When i looked at the manual it seemed like you just connected the mic via usb and then played a track from cd inserted in your player which was then measured using the mic and software?

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is offline  
post #33345 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Member
 
Michael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know how the 212HTR or 228HTR would sound as compared to a speaker with a RAAL ribbon tweeter?

I've really been trying to fall in love with the RAAL tweeter speakers I got, but I keep feeling like they're somehow missing sparkle. I can hear drums and cymbals, but they don't... hit/shimmer/stand out, if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking about going JTR after all if they posses these qualities and are great for home theater.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Michael79 is offline  
post #33346 of 39538 Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,665
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2320
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Does omnimic require the pc to be connected to the avr/processor? When i looked at the manual it seemed like you just connected the mic via usb and then played a track from cd inserted in your player which was then measured using the mic and software?
It does not.

Omnimic runs in the PC/laptop and you play the test tones through your DVD/blu ray player.

You could output the DVD audio through your hdmi out if the computer but that didn't work well for me.
HTPCat likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #33347 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
ya 300 bucks isn't cheap when you can get REW for free, I'm just not that tech savy and don't wanna deal with the headaches of REW.

the 300 for the omnimic isn't whats gonna hurt, I'm on the verge of buying 4 slanted 8s but the price tag hurts to look at I WANT THEM SOOO BAD THOUGH!!
Lol.. Do it., slanted 8's? You won't be disappointed..
rhed is offline  
post #33348 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post
Does anyone know how the 212HTR or 228HTR would sound as compared to a speaker with a RAAL ribbon tweeter?

I've really been trying to fall in love with the RAAL tweeter speakers I got, but I keep feeling like they're somehow missing sparkle. I can hear drums and cymbals, but they don't... hit/shimmer/stand out, if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking about going JTR after all if they posses these qualities and are great for home theater.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hmmm could it be a room issue? When you are standing right up close to one of the ribbons does it still not have that sparkle/shimmer sound? What about if you boost the highs above 8-10 khz? I've heard a pair of Salks that have the RAAL ribbon and I loved how the top end sounded.
carp is online now  
post #33349 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael79 View Post
Does anyone know how the 212HTR or 228HTR would sound as compared to a speaker with a RAAL ribbon tweeter?

I've really been trying to fall in love with the RAAL tweeter speakers I got, but I keep feeling like they're somehow missing sparkle. I can hear drums and cymbals, but they don't... hit/shimmer/stand out, if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking about going JTR after all if they posses these qualities and are great for home theater.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Oh, also a few years ago we did a blind comparison between the 212 and a Salk speaker with a RAAL tweeter. There were around 15 people there and for music it was close to 50/50 with the JTR's having a slight advantage. Point being it's a personal preference thing, so really you have to hear the JTR's for yourself if possible.
carp is online now  
post #33350 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 12:58 AM
Member
 
nash23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
cool just ordered it. should be here thurs
I just ordered it too.

Will be good to experiment and get accurate measurements.
newc33 likes this.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
nash23 is offline  
post #33351 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Good morning guys. I have an older pair of T8-lp's that have the coaxial in the center and I need to move them to the top. Is there anything I'll need besides an allen wrench? Or anything in particular I should be mindful of when moving them?
cmryan821 is offline  
post #33352 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
countryWV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntington West Virginia
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 View Post
Good morning guys. I have an older pair of T8-lp's that have the coaxial in the center and I need to move them to the top. Is there anything I'll need besides an allen wrench? Or anything in particular I should be mindful of when moving them?
http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...17&postcount=2

1) Orient cabinet with drivers facing upward.
2) Remove the four socket head screws holding in the coaxial (eight for Triple 12).
3) Lift coaxial out, note wire colors (mid: orange +/green -, tweeter: blue+/white-)
4) Trace wires toward crossover
5) Remove eight socket head screws holding the woofer above crossover.
6) Lift woofer out, note colors (red+/black-)
7) Route woofer wires toward center cutout
8) Route coaxial wires toward top cutout
9) Connect coaxial wires, set driver into top cutout
10) Install four socket head screws that hold the coaxial (eight for Triple 12)
11) Connect woofer wires, set driver into center cutout
12) Install eight socket head screws that hold the woofer

Chris
countryWV is offline  
post #33353 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmryan821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,399
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.co...17&postcount=2

1) Orient cabinet with drivers facing upward.
2) Remove the four socket head screws holding in the coaxial (eight for Triple 12).
3) Lift coaxial out, note wire colors (mid: orange +/green -, tweeter: blue+/white-)
4) Trace wires toward crossover
5) Remove eight socket head screws holding the woofer above crossover.
6) Lift woofer out, note colors (red+/black-)
7) Route woofer wires toward center cutout
8) Route coaxial wires toward top cutout
9) Connect coaxial wires, set driver into top cutout
10) Install four socket head screws that hold the coaxial (eight for Triple 12)
11) Connect woofer wires, set driver into center cutout
12) Install eight socket head screws that hold the woofer
Thanks a bunch Chris. Didn't even occur to me that Jeff posted the instructions for this on his forum.
countryWV likes this.
cmryan821 is offline  
post #33354 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,692
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Does omnimic require the pc to be connected to the avr/processor? When i looked at the manual it seemed like you just connected the mic via usb and then played a track from cd inserted in your player which was then measured using the mic and software?
Yep, easy peasy. You can borrow mine and give it a test drive ...

BTW, I had Forum member Jtavan over for a demo on Monday. Very audio knowledgeable techie guy who is building a well thought out theater in his home in Silicon Valley. He is a music first person who appreciates the dynamic capabilities of a good coaxial/compression driver based speaker. I hope he liked what he heard and buys JTR LCR's as he is a discerning listener and his IB setup should be stellar and a nice compliment to a JTR front end. He went to Scotts (HTPCAT) after to demo his system and I'm looking forward to hearing his take on the speakers and setups.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.

Last edited by RMK!; 12-30-2015 at 08:40 AM.
RMK! is offline  
post #33355 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
newc33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: lasalle-peru illinois
Posts: 2,863
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
I just ordered it too.

Will be good to experiment and get accurate measurements.
Cool I'll look forward to your thoughts... I gotta say after toying with REW for a bit, plug and play seems easy.. Too easy........ Lol

1600 cubic foot sealed room! Samsung 8500 curved 4k
denon x4100
JTR noesis 228s rear surround
Quad PSA T18s!!!!!!
Funk audio 12.2 HP mains powered by/funk audio 6x500 watt amp
newc33 is offline  
post #33356 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Michael79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Oh, also a few years ago we did a blind comparison between the 212 and a Salk speaker with a RAAL tweeter. There were around 15 people there and for music it was close to 50/50 with the JTR's having a slight advantage. Point being it's a personal preference thing, so really you have to hear the JTR's for yourself if possible.
Thanks a lot, carp.
Michael79 is offline  
post #33357 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Member
 
nash23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
Cool I'll look forward to your thoughts... I gotta say after toying with REW for a bit, plug and play seems easy.. Too easy........ Lol
I cancelled my order. I will go for the minidsp with dirac.

I want room correction more than measurements.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Marantz 8802A | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Noesis 210RM (C) | JTR 210RT (LR) | JTR Single 8HT-LP (Surrounds) | JTR Single 8HT (Surround Backs) | Deftech Procinema 1000 (ATMOS) | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
nash23 is offline  
post #33358 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,781
Mentioned: 317 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
A few things about Omnimic:
  1. Omnimic is awesome!
  2. Set Smoothing to None in the Frequency Response window. You can always smooth saved measurements later.
  3. It is best NOT to leave the auto gain button checked during measurements, since the slider movement can interfere with ongoing measurements (quoted from manual).
  4. You can average measurements from different seats by hitting the space bar for each average or by clicking new average. Average measurements are only saved when using File > Save Avg FRD Curve.
  5. Neither the CD nor the DVD provide what is needed to measure the bass as you experience it during actual playback.
  6. You can use the Omnimic microphone with REW.
  7. You can use the Omnimic microphone with Audiolense and take measurements for free. This lets you take measurements of each speaker and sub sequentially all with one measurement session. You will get exact acoustic distances down to .01 millisecond.
  8. You can playback the CD or DVD in JRiver for advanced measurement routing. For example, using the Order Channels DSP lets you take a measurement of the front left speaker with track 6, move the left to center, take a measurement of the center speaker, move the left to right, take a measurement of the right speaker, etc.
  9. You can use Mix Channels in JRiver to combine the bass output from all speakers or mains/subs to see what happens during bass management.
  10. You can instantly create new channel measurements in JRiver by using Convert Format and rerouting the Omnimic sweeps to a different channel. This lets you create a separate sweep for each channel that can be played and measured sequentially.
  11. Set the SPL tab to "A" Curve if you want to compare your output levels to OSHA standards. The bottom right will even keep track of A Weighted sound exposure.
  12. Set the SPL tab to "C" Curve for level matching of speakers/subs.
  13. Switch between FFT and RTA on the SPL/Spectrum tab to understand how an FFT, like Spectrum Lab, is showing the data differently than a frequency response. The FFT displays the data at a 3 dB/octave slope vs the RTA.
  14. I've measured three Omnimic's with my SPL Calibrator and they differed by 4 dB. In other words, don't rely on the Omnimic to set your system to "Reference Level" and expect to compare to someone else unless you have calibrated the mic. The calibration is entered into Config > Adjust.
  15. Make sure you are using the latest version of software (currently 4.70). The older versions have bugs.
  16. When measured from the listening position, the Omnimic will start to rolloff around 5 kHz and can be down by 6 dB by 20 kHz. Please don't boost your treble based on this rolloff. The vertical vs horizontal position of the microphone doesn't make as much, if any, difference from the listening position in most rooms because you are measuring the reverberant field. The closer you are to the speaker, the more the difference in rolloff between horizontal and vertical orientation with horizontal orientation of the microphone having less rolloff.
  17. Omnimic will perform autoEQ and let one upload the file to a miniDSP.
  18. With video, resolution is down on the list of what makes a good picture. With audio for a home theater, I like to prioritize dialog intelligibility, smooth sound immersion, bass tactile feel, and dynamics. EQ, bass management, crossover slopes, level and distance settings plays a part in all of these, but a flat frequency response with Omnimic isn't the goal.
RMK! and HTPCat like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is online now  
post #33359 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,588
Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5646 Post(s)
Liked: 5505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
A few things about Omnimic:
  1. Omnimic is awesome!
  2. Set Smoothing to None in the Frequency Response window. You can always smooth saved measurements later.
  3. It is best NOT to leave the auto gain button checked during measurements, since the slider movement can interfere with ongoing measurements (quoted from manual).
  4. You can average measurements from different seats by hitting the space bar for each average or by clicking new average. Average measurements are only saved when using File > Save Avg FRD Curve.
  5. Neither the CD nor the DVD provide what is needed to measure the bass as you experience it during actual playback.
  6. You can use the Omnimic microphone with REW.
  7. You can use the Omnimic microphone with Audiolense and take measurements for free. This lets you take measurements of each speaker and sub sequentially all with one measurement session. You will get exact acoustic distances down to .01 millisecond.
  8. You can playback the CD or DVD in JRiver for advanced measurement routing. For example, using the Order Channels DSP lets you take a measurement of the front left speaker with track 6, move the left to center, take a measurement of the center speaker, move the left to right, take a measurement of the right speaker, etc.
  9. You can use Mix Channels in JRiver to combine the bass output from all speakers or mains/subs to see what happens during bass management.
  10. You can instantly create new channel measurements in JRiver by using Convert Format and rerouting the Omnimic sweeps to a different channel. This lets you create a separate sweep for each channel that can be played and measured sequentially.
  11. Set the SPL tab to "A" Curve if you want to compare your output levels to OSHA standards. The bottom right will even keep track of A Weighted sound exposure.
  12. Set the SPL tab to "C" Curve for level matching of speakers/subs.
  13. Switch between FFT and RTA on the SPL/Spectrum tab to understand how an FFT, like Spectrum Lab, is showing the data differently than a frequency response. The FFT displays the data at a 3 dB/octave slope vs the RTA.
  14. I've measured three Omnimic's with my SPL Calibrator and they differed by 4 dB. In other words, don't rely on the Omnimic to set your system to "Reference Level" and expect to compare to someone else unless you have calibrated the mic. The calibration is entered into Config > Adjust.
  15. Make sure you are using the latest version of software (currently 4.70). The older versions have bugs.
  16. When measured from the listening position, the Omnimic will start to rolloff around 5 kHz and can be down by 6 dB by 20 kHz. Please don't boost your treble based on this rolloff. The vertical vs horizontal position of the microphone doesn't make as much, if any, difference from the listening position in most rooms because you are measuring the reverberant field. The closer you are to the speaker, the more the difference in rolloff between horizontal and vertical orientation with horizontal orientation of the microphone having less rolloff.
  17. Omnimic will perform autoEQ and let one upload the file to a miniDSP.
  18. With video, resolution is down on the list of what makes a good picture. With audio for a home theater, I like to prioritize dialog intelligibility, smooth sound immersion, bass tactile feel, and dynamics. EQ, bass management, crossover slopes, level and distance settings plays a part in all of these, but a flat frequency response with Omnimic isn't the goal.

Great writeup, but slightly confused as to what you mean by #5 ? Also, once again making another excellent arguement for Jriver and audiolense with re-routing the the input sources to other channels. No need for a different disc anymore! Although that would still be quite nice.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #33360 of 39538 Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stoked21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas City (Lenexa)
Posts: 2,287
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash23 View Post
I cancelled my order. I will go for the minidsp with dirac.

I want room correction more than measurements.
I use a mac so omnimic wasn't really an option. So I spent about $200 to get necessary cables and Mac HDMI output adapter and a calibrated Umik to use all with REW. Haven't opened any of it in the several months I've owned them. I am debating buying a $200-400 Win machine just for the HT as it's needed for pj calibration as well...So Omnimic may become an option sometime next year and I regret buying all the crap for REW.

But honestly "why" is my most recent thought. I'm sure it's short-sighted, but my speakers are where they need to be within physical room constraints (little flexibility) and abiding relatively within dolby spec. Measurements won't really do anything but verify what's going on in the room. Sure it could help me realize there's a problem, but ignorance is bliss!!! If it sounds great to me now, why alert myself to a problem that will only make me dissatisfied/upset every time I'm in the HT!!! Nothing worse than using a scientific approach to prove there is a problem...a problem your ears didn't even hear in the first place! Sure it could help to locate areas that need treatment or allow for slight repositioning of subs and LCR...Provides me with the data needed to improve the SQ. There is value in that so I'm not completely writing off a measurement solution. I'm probably more apt to bribe a local omnimic user to troubleshoot with me for these minor tweaks and measurement verifications.

However, I guess I agree with your statement.....If Omnimic (or even REW) can show me there's a problem....It still CAN'T FIX it. Dirac would allow for correction. So while I likely will utilize some measurement SW in the future, I'm more apt to implement something that will provide THE CORRECTION too.... Now if only dirac could work with a 9.2.6 setup (short of buying two or three 88A at $1K each!!!)
nash23 likes this.
Stoked21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off