Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1197 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10131Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #35881 of 39438 Old 09-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Very close @raynist It's @lukeamdman and his amp testing thread is right here at DB: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...plifier-tests/
Thanks Beast!
theblackangus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35882 of 39438 Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I really wanted to go and I still may. See what happens. I just wish just once one of these shows were in NY Ctiy or even Florida. I could get 5 thousand flights to Florida for nothing.
I don't know how big it will be but there is a show in NYC in November.

https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2016
Snowmanick is offline  
post #35883 of 39438 Old 09-23-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Note that the QSC PL380 long term does 980 watts @ 2 ohms, 1050 w @ 4 ohms, and 1100 w @ 8 ohms. This is consistent with an amp that is current limited - usually by the power supply. It takes a lot more current at low impedance for long term output. Bridging, which is done with most Class D amps, increases the voltage for more long term power at high impedance at the expense of having less long term power available for lower impedance.

Regarding the time, I thought they were self explanatory. All the amps tested show a time frame for short and medium term power. The final column is how much power they produce between the medium term power and thermal overload. Brian Oppeguard (SpeakerPower) helps explain it here:



Edit: Per Tommy with Digital Amp Company, the Cherry Ultra Monoblocks I own are rated at 400 watts @ 8 ohm, 750 watts at 4 ohm, but only 250 watts at 2 ohm. This is because they are current limited by design.
Interesting info Michael, I am anxious to see how the Motu with a 16Hz HP filter affects the ability to run the 215RT's up to and beyond reference without having woofer distress. I've been watching some movies at my usual -7 to -10db ref levels with no negative impact (in fact, it sounds great) but I can really hear/feel the speakers trying to play the ULF's without an HP filter. I'll be crossing the LCR's at 120Hz and the Motu will mix the LFE into the LCR's output.

Playing those frequencies is not my goal so I welcome more head room in general at the expense of anything below 16hz.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.

Last edited by RMK!; 09-23-2016 at 08:33 AM.
RMK! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35884 of 39438 Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
I don't know how big it will be but there is a show in NYC in November.

https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2016
Yeah there are shows, but not like the big ones like CES or Cedia etc..I would love to goto Cedia in NYC for a weekend. NYC is a blast if you have the time. Anything you want is right there! I just hate $17 dollar Bacaradi and Cokes! Thanks for the link though.

Not that it indeed applies to this thread, but I just test drove a 2016 Lincoln MKX as we are ordering one and the Revel Stereo is excellent and the vehicle is not to shabby either. I was very impressed with it. While I was sitting fooling with all the controls I was wondering when is Jeff going to get in touch with Lincoln and add a full 14.2 JTR set up??

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-23-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #35885 of 39438 Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,124
Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Price drop on the 215's I'm selling. I'm getting new carpet in my house including the basement so I've completely cleared the HT room. Since it feels like I'm "starting over" I'm really wanting to have speakers that can fit behind the screen. I'll probably sell the 212 too so I can have a matching 3 LCR.

Check link below to the sale thread on the classifieds if interested.
carp is online now  
post #35886 of 39438 Old 09-24-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

You also need to add a High Pass Filter at 20 Hz and a Shelf Filter on the inputs at 20 Hz and 6 dB. This will extend the High Pass Filter to around 15-16 Hz. Here you can see with and without the Shelf Filter.


Question DD,
You said the motu can high pass down to 12.5hz.
Why apply the high pass at 20hz, then use a shelf to bump it to 16hz vs just using the high pass at 16?
Is it in order to run the bass hot at 20hz ish or something else?
Thanks!
theblackangus is offline  
post #35887 of 39438 Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Jeff,

Could you do a custom 210RT with a center horn? For laying flat for a center channel application.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #35888 of 39438 Old 09-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm about to start building my above-garage home theater (29x22). I'm planning on JTR all around, except for atmos in the ceiling. Two questions...

1) I'll be using the standard DD + GG. Can I mount the 8HT-LP's directly to the DD or should I put a layer of OSB in the spots where I'll be mounting the speakers?

2) Any recommendations for Atmos ceiling speakers other than Volts (I'm not a DIY guy)? The JBL 226C looks like a fairly efficient, compression driver speaker for ceiling mount. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
obleo is offline  
post #35889 of 39438 Old 09-24-2016, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,336
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by obleo View Post
I'm about to start building my above-garage home theater (29x22). I'm planning on JTR all around, except for atmos in the ceiling. Two questions...

1) I'll be using the standard DD + GG. Can I mount the 8HT-LP's directly to the DD or should I put a layer of OSB in the spots where I'll be mounting the speakers?

2) Any recommendations for Atmos ceiling speakers other than Volts (I'm not a DIY guy)? The JBL 226C looks like a fairly efficient, compression driver speaker for ceiling mount. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Aside from more JTRs, DIYSG also has Concentric 8s, which require much less assembly.
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/alpha-k...centric-8.html

I think JTR may have some kind of discount when you buy enough speakers, so that might make JTRs for Atmos a bit easier to swallow.

I do think sticking with high efficiency coaxes for Atmos speakers is a good direction.
rhed likes this.
rcohen is offline  
post #35890 of 39438 Old 09-25-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by obleo View Post
I'm about to start building my above-garage home theater (29x22). I'm planning on JTR all around, except for atmos in the ceiling. Two questions...

1) I'll be using the standard DD + GG. Can I mount the 8HT-LP's directly to the DD or should I put a layer of OSB in the spots where I'll be mounting the speakers?

2) Any recommendations for Atmos ceiling speakers other than Volts (I'm not a DIY guy)? The JBL 226C looks like a fairly efficient, compression driver speaker for ceiling mount. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Those slanted 8-lp might be an option. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to use for Atmos as well. It may be these or a custom S8 in ceiling mount that I've discussed with Jeff.
rhed and HTPCat like this.
7channelfreak is offline  
post #35891 of 39438 Old 09-25-2016, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ (South Jersey)
Posts: 4,368
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
Those slanted 8-lp might be an option. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to use for Atmos as well. It may be these or a custom S8 in ceiling mount that I've discussed with Jeff.
Same thing here. I am thinking of changing my 7.2 to a 7.4.2. My plan is, I am going to leave my heights in place. I don't think my heights sound that well as surrounds, I would prefer them to be at ear level. So my plan is to leave the heights in place and turn them over to Atmos heights and then get 4 new single 8's and put two on the side at ear level and then two up front for front heights. My Atmos speakers will not be over head and I will loose my rear speakers, but IMO the rear speakers are two close to my seats and don't feel I get the proper sound anyway. Or I could just go to a 9.2.2 and leave the rear heights and add the sides at ear level and front heights for 9 channels and leave the current side heights as my Atmos overheads. Personally I think the 7.4.2 would give me the best sound for what I have to work with.

I will also add that I picked up Now you see me 2 and I have to say that it was one of the best sound tracks I ever heard. The surround work was incredible, I imagine the Atmos was even better.
rhed likes this.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 09-25-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #35892 of 39438 Old 09-26-2016, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,076
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Same thing here. I am thinking of changing my 7.2 to a 7.4.2. My plan is, I am going to leave my heights in place. I don't think my heights sound that well as surrounds, I would prefer them to be at ear level. So my plan is to leave the heights in place and turn them over to Atmos heights and then get 4 new single 8's and put two on the side at ear level and then two up front for front heights. My Atmos speakers will not be over head and I will loose my rear speakers, but IMO the rear speakers are two close to my seats and don't feel I get the proper sound anyway. Or I could just go to a 9.2.2 and leave the rear heights and add the sides at ear level and front heights for 9 channels and leave the current side heights as my Atmos overheads. Personally I think the 7.4.2 would give me the best sound for what I have to work with.

I will also add that I picked up Now you see me 2 and I have to say that it was one of the best sound tracks I ever heard. The surround work was incredible, I imagine the Atmos was even better.
"Now You See Me 2" Definitely a incredible sound track in ATMOS and overall fun.. Oh, and ATMOS track in The Conjuring 2? Um, good ATMOS track too. But, careful with this one if you need your beauty rest..LOL.. btw reef, you'd definitely should go 7.4.4.. its like no escaping a dome of terror, or action.. lol
rhed is offline  
post #35893 of 39438 Old 09-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
staaled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I finally got my new setup running.
Reference levels are such a breeze now. Totally effortless.

The Powersofts are graceful and very calm until Max hits the starter. Then ...just wow.

Very, very happy with the changes I have made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_154835_resized.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	1685193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_154842_resized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	1685201   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160926_154941_resized.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1685209  
RMK! and rhed like this.
staaled is offline  
post #35894 of 39438 Old 09-27-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Price drop on the 215's I'm selling. I'm getting new carpet in my house including the basement so I've completely cleared the HT room. Since it feels like I'm "starting over" I'm really wanting to have speakers that can fit behind the screen. I'll probably sell the 212 too so I can have a matching 3 LCR.

Check link below to the sale thread on the classifieds if interested.
This is funny, you want speakers that "fit behind your screen". Mine are behind the screen and I would love to have the wide mains placement you have for 2 channel listening.
I guess the grass is always greener. .

For those who like to switch out gear every couple of years these 215lb, 6' tall, zero WAF speakers are a measure twice, cut once type of purchase.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #35895 of 39438 Old 09-27-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Jeff,

Could you do a custom 210RT with a center horn? For laying flat for a center channel application.
Why not use the 210RM?

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #35896 of 39438 Old 09-29-2016, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
Finishing up the Noesis 210RT for Rocky Mountain Audiofest:
KevinH, dwaleke, staaled and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Jeff Permanian; 10-02-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #35897 of 39438 Old 09-29-2016, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Finishing up the Noesis 210RT for Rocky Mountain Audiofest:
Jeff, those are just sexy.

Congratulations on a great looking, and I'm sure sounding, speaker. I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing them at RMAF.
Jeff Permanian and Peterc613 like this.
Snowmanick is offline  
post #35898 of 39438 Old 09-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Finishing up the Noesis 210RT for Rocky Mountain Audiofest:
That does look really good.
theblackangus is offline  
post #35899 of 39438 Old 10-01-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,373
Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 2014
Who is going to Rocky Mountain Audiofest this year?
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #35900 of 39438 Old 10-01-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Snowmanick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,283
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Who is going to Rocky Mountain Audiofest this year?
I will be there for Saturday and Sunday. Looking forward to hearing those 210RT's of yours!
Jeff Permanian likes this.
Snowmanick is offline  
post #35901 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 05:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi, guys

I've been reading this thread for about a year, now. Thank you so much for all the feedback that you guys do.

Has anyone compared JTR's to Martin Logan's, and B&W 802 D3; 803 D3?

I listened, yesterday, to ML's Renaissance ESL 15A ($25k / pair). I used NIN's The Fragile; Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals, and The Matrix Soundtrack CDs for music. NIN sounds good on any speakers, practically. First time listening to ML speakers. They have a lot of detail emitting from the panel, but, I tend to feel that it's bright. They are directional, so, toed in to the sweet spot, the details are in your face, but if you walk out to the right or left...the curtain drops. Get in the sweet spot, again, and the curtain is lifted.

I listened to the B&W's 802 D3, with a Devialet 200W/channel amp, a few months back, and I felt that they were bright, too. (I'm sensitive to high frequencies). Also, I remember listening to details in a NIN song, in a way I've never heard before, using TIDAL. I also listened to In Extremo, and I didn't like how it sounded. I also remember walking into the room, while the speakers were playing really low volume, some other music, and the thought that came to mind was: "elevator music".

I might do a side by side comparison in the near future of ML's Renaissance ESL 15A and B&W 802 D3 at a Magnolia store. Don't know if I'll be able to use the same amps on both. ML's had Arcam amps/pre-amps, and B&W 802 D3 will have McIntosh 600W monos + pre-amp.

Anyways, just wondering how a pair of JTR's 215RT sound compared to these $ 25K-30K /pair speakers.

It's a shame it's not easier to demo JTR's.

Also, are 15 amperes wall outlets, enough to make a pair of JTR's 215RT shine? I won't be able to do 20 amperes outlets on my current place.

Thanks.

wc_av is offline  
post #35902 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I meant 800 D3 not 803 D3. Sorry.

(no edit button?!...wow)
wc_av is offline  
post #35903 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Well, can't send PM due to post count

Will also post first post above in new thread, just in case?

Fell free to post in any of those threads. Thanks.
wc_av is offline  
post #35904 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_av View Post
Hi, guys

I've been reading this thread for about a year, now. Thank you so much for all the feedback that you guys do.

Has anyone compared JTR's to Martin Logan's, and B&W 802 D3; 803 D3?

I listened, yesterday, to ML's Renaissance ESL 15A ($25k / pair). I used NIN's The Fragile; Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals, and The Matrix Soundtrack CDs for music. NIN sounds good on any speakers, practically. First time listening to ML speakers. They have a lot of detail emitting from the panel, but, I tend to feel that it's bright. They are directional, so, toed in to the sweet spot, the details are in your face, but if you walk out to the right or left...the curtain drops. Get in the sweet spot, again, and the curtain is lifted.

I listened to the B&W's 802 D3, with a Devialet 200W/channel amp, a few months back, and I felt that they were bright, too. (I'm sensitive to high frequencies). Also, I remember listening to details in a NIN song, in a way I've never heard before, using TIDAL. I also listened to In Extremo, and I didn't like how it sounded. I also remember walking into the room, while the speakers were playing really low volume, some other music, and the thought that came to mind was: "elevator music".

I might do a side by side comparison in the near future of ML's Renaissance ESL 15A and B&W 802 D3 at a Magnolia store. Don't know if I'll be able to use the same amps on both. ML's had Arcam amps/pre-amps, and B&W 802 D3 will have McIntosh 600W monos + pre-amp.

Anyways, just wondering how a pair of JTR's 215RT sound compared to these $ 25K-30K /pair speakers.

It's a shame it's not easier to demo JTR's.

Thanks.

Ill speak to this since I demoed all of them too, however with the caveat of the fact that I like the high end of the 800 series.

The 215's provide nearly all of the detail with way more low end and dynamics of either.
The high end is less edgy so you will most likely enjoy the 215 sound.
Sure the 800's and the ML's do certain things a bit better but the 215's are also much cheaper and cover about 98% (or more) of the capabilities of either other speakers.
The dynamics they provide are second to none, they stay clean to louder than you can listen. (You need to go to at least the 30k Magico's to get the dynamics of a JTR).
Also when properly setup the 215's really need no subs. (However no-one will look down on you for going crazy and getting a few orbit shifters =)
JTR's, like many high end speakers, also benefit from moar power and a clean amp.
The JTR's are very efficient so a 15a service usually does fine unless you have a huge room AND play at stupid loud levels. (Mid sized room and stupid loud ... no problem other than damaged hearing.)

I was on a similar search and found the JTR's were the best combination of great music and great theater that I could find for less than 10k.
Where are you at? There are people nearly everywhere that are good to have you over for a demo of their 215's. (Or 210's which are about 90% of the 215's, minus the very low end)
theblackangus is offline  
post #35905 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Ill speak to this since I demoed all of them too, however with the caveat of the fact that I like the high end of the 800 series.

The 215's provide nearly all of the detail with way more low end and dynamics of either.
The high end is less edgy so you will most likely enjoy the 215 sound.
Sure the 800's and the ML's do certain things a bit better but the 215's are also much cheaper and cover about 98% (or more) of the capabilities of either other speakers.
The dynamics they provide are second to none, they stay clean to louder than you can listen. (You need to go to at least the 30k Magico's to get the dynamics of a JTR).
Also when properly setup the 215's really need no subs. (However no-one will look down on you for going crazy and getting a few orbit shifters =)
JTR's, like many high end speakers, also benefit from moar power and a clean amp.
The JTR's are very efficient so a 15a service usually does fine unless you have a huge room AND play at stupid loud levels. (Mid sized room and stupid loud ... no problem other than damaged hearing.)

I was on a similar search and found the JTR's were the best combination of great music and great theater that I could find for less than 10k.
Where are you at? There are people nearly everywhere that are good to have you over for a demo of their 215's. (Or 210's which are about 90% of the 215's, minus the very low end)
Thanks, theblackangus. I'm in Miami, FL. Room is 40% 19' long / 60% 17' long /// 10.5' wide, and 100" high (that's a 6 foot person with an arm extended all the way up.)

Oh, and I won't listen at stupid levels. Purchase will be for music first. Have been listening to movies through TV speakers, so the difference in HT can only get better.

Thanks, again for your feedback!~
wc_av is offline  
post #35906 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
theblackangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_av View Post
Thanks, theblackangus. I'm in Miami, FL. Room is 40% 19' long / 60% 17' long /// 10.5' wide, and 100" high (that's a 6 foot person with an arm extended all the way up.)

Oh, and I won't listen at stupid levels. Purchase will be for music first. Have been listening to movies through TV speakers, so the difference in HT can only get better.

Thanks, again for your feedback!~
That's about the size of my room so you would be fine if you went this route.

Hopefully someone near by will speak up and have you over to listen.
Since you are looking at big buck speakers I would recommend getting to Axpona in Chicago or the Colorado audio show that is happening very soon (next weekend?)
Jeff always is there as well as everyone who is anyone in speakers and equipment.
This helped me sort what I wanted pretty quickly.
theblackangus is offline  
post #35907 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dlbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 778
wc_av - I do know there are some JTR speakers in Orlando...so a 3 hour drive to check them out...nice and close. @Vince32387 came up to one of my GTG's because he was in the same boat as you. He heard them and now has a full set of JTR's...I think he went with the 215's. Let me know if you need help getting in touch with him.
theblackangus likes this.
dlbeck is offline  
post #35908 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
That's about the size of my room so you would be fine if you went this route.

Hopefully someone near by will speak up and have you over to listen.
Since you are looking at big buck speakers I would recommend getting to Axpona in Chicago or the Colorado audio show that is happening very soon (next weekend?)
Jeff always is there as well as everyone who is anyone in speakers and equipment.
This helped me sort what I wanted pretty quickly.
Yeah, I don't think I want to fly next weekend

One thing I was thinking is, if I have to fly...wait until NIN goes on tour again, and choose a city where a JTR (215RT preferably) owner is close by , since I'll probably be waiting for the Oppo 205 to come out.
theblackangus likes this.
wc_av is offline  
post #35909 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
wc_av - I do know there are some JTR speakers in Orlando...so a 3 hour drive to check them out...nice and close. @Vince32387 came up to one of my GTG's because he was in the same boat as you. He heard them and now has a full set of JTR's...I think he went with the 215's. Let me know if you need help getting in touch with him.
Well, no rush, but if it comes to having to go to Orlando, ...I could wait until my bro makes one of his trips to Orlando, and I could asking to tag along (I'm not much of a driver myself ATM), and that could be convenient. Thanks
wc_av is offline  
post #35910 of 39438 Old 10-02-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Good take by theblackangus and suggestion by dlbeck. I had similar experiences in the ownership and demoing of speakers. I think the main thing about the JTR's is that they produce a very detailed sound with a frequency response that is flat across the audible frequencies but they can be EQ'd to sound any way you like. If this is rolling off the high frequencies to address perceived brightness, or bumping up the bass for that fat sound you can truly have it your way. But doing this isn't at the expense of dynamics that create the jump out of your chair at the sound of a gun shot, or the kick drum that you feel in your chest. Of course many speakers do that to a degree, but these are designed to allow the effectsto be much more impactfull with a net effect that's like like going to 11 ... if you know what I mean.

So yes, they are very detailed and can be used for music as most of us do, but they started as HT speakers that allow you to rival or exceed the dynamics and aural immersion that can be experienced at the very best commercial theaters in the world.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off