Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9712Likes

post #36391 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
I'm using two dedicated 30amp lines with my crest cc5500 amps. What exactly is that in the pic with the 30A inputs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
That would be this
Lex is another company with products similar to Motion Labs.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36392 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
From the PSA thread post 4341 & 4342:

Can the same be said about the 228HT?
Carsandcigars mentioned that he won't be using an AT screen and has a builtin cabinet on the front wall so he will be forced to use a horizontal center channel speaker. I had several setups with a horizontal center (see pics V) and although I prefer using identical LCR's (including orientation), it sounded very good. I have every confidence that the 228 will do the CC duty beautifully regardless of orientation.

This:

Became this:

There were several (many ) iterations of the HT but suffice to say I have been very happy since going with high efficiency designs like JTR.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.

Last edited by RMK!; 12-27-2016 at 08:43 AM.
post #36393 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5320
That cinemonster can hang tho.... for realz.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36394 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
That cinemonster can hang tho.... for realz.
Yeah and it's the only commercial sub that makes the Orbit Shifter look beautiful by comparison.

post #36395 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5320
Quote:
Yeah and it's the only commercial sub that makes the Orbit Shifter look beautiful by comparison.
So very true. It's a biggun to say the least. I'd love to have one tho

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #36396 of 39130 Old 12-27-2016, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
From the PSA thread post 4341 & 4342:

Can the same be said about the 228HT?
If the center can't be close the the same height, you may want to seriously consider a phantom center.

In a symmetrical room, you should be able to achieve pretty much perfect imaging from center seats.
I much prefer that over a center at a very different height.

The main benefit of a center speaker is that you can anchor the center imaging for off-center seats or for asymmetrical rooms.
That said, 3 identical vertically oriented speakers is the best at everything, for setups that can accommodate it (mainly AT screen setups).
post #36397 of 39130 Old 12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
I've been in a hell of a lot of HT's where the center isn't centered with the mains without sounding bad at all.
It's it ideal? Probably not but just a generalization that if it's not centered you should consider phantom, it's very good advice.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #36398 of 39130 Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Thanks for the advice. I bumped into a Denon thread in AVForums where DTS:X & Neural are disabled when one doesn't have a center.
post #36399 of 39130 Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 1965
First two new Noesis 212HT left today.
post #36400 of 39130 Old 12-29-2016, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
The first of the new Noesis 228HT have shipped and the first of the new Noesis 212HT are about to ship.
I believe I'm counting myself among the lucky recipients of the first few new 2017 228HT. Very excited to finally pull the trigger on replacing my front 3 with the JTR's. I've had AV123 850/Bigfoot with some Ninja mods for the past 7+ years, but have been following JTR and this thread for easily the past 5 years anticipating my next move.

Unfortunately, at this point all I can attest to is the wonderful packaging and overall build quality (holy smokes, those are beefy binding posts!). I've had them nearly a week, but just finally got all 3 unboxed and a preliminary setup. Christmas decor is still dominating the living room, and I have one more custom stand coming for the center speaker so it will be some time before I have a real opportunity to give feedback of any value.
N8DOGG and Jeff Permanian like this.
post #36401 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I use several elan zpower power units that also have sequential power on/off for 8 outlets via a 12v trigger. They don't make them any longer but I was able to source 6 of them for about $80 each. They show up on eBay all of the time. There are several there right now for $50-$60.
This was a great recommendation Ray. I got one for $50 and installed the unit yesterday. It works great but be sure and get the User Guide (it's available online) as you will need the explanation of the dip switch settings to get it to work the way you want.

post #36402 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2210
Quote:
This was a great recommendation Ray. I got one for $50 and installed the unit yesterday. It works great but be sure and get the User Guide (it's available online) as you will need the explanation of the dip switch settings to get it to work the way you want.
Great! I think I have 8 of these now. Good tip about the manual. I just copy the settings each time I get one

Can't beat these for the price.

I think you still get the thump with a 6000DSP when powered off. They work great with my 3000DSP's, crest CC4000's and powersound audio Triax's.
post #36403 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hello everyone. Most, if not all of you, will not know me. Even though I've been on the forum for quite some time. I usually keep to myself and don't post much. lol. I'll try to make an effort to be more sociable.

Recently I acquired and have become the new owner of some fantastic JTR T12's (3) from laeriq and T8 (1) from raynist. My first at owning JTR speakers. At some point I hope to find another T8 of the same era or maybe a T12, again from the same era, and perhaps use the T8 as a center. I'm going to have to watch the financials a bit so I'm probably going to have to be patient on getting another great deal on either.

I currently only have 2 of the T12's set up in stereo. Heavy buggers BTW. At first, when I initially set them up, I was disappointed. The Deftech's I had before simply sounded better to me. Shocker right? heh. Well, after giving it some time I've come to realize that with the exception of the bottom end the T12's are simply magnificent. Don't get me wrong. The Deftech's held there own for the most part at lower volumes ( fuller sound since they dig a bit deeper ) but holly hell when you go to turn things up a bit. The T12's may not have the low end but obliterate in sound quality otherwise. After having them for a bit over a month now I've been finding myself enjoying listening to music again. I've been suffering from depression lately and to be honest haven't been enjoying much of anything because of it. But, having these and being able to hear with amazement more details in the music I used to love listening to and once again finding enjoyment in doing so has been a blessing. I sometimes find myself closing my eyes and just melting away. I now wish I had more comfortable furniture. I just have to say that I feel like I owe Mr Permanian my thanks for creating these wonderful speakers and to laeriq and raynist for having such good deals on them.

Now, having made you read all of that(Sorry) I'd like to pick your collective brains a bit. As much as I like things as they are, I know that my setup is not ideal. Far from it. If I like it this much, I'm almost scared to find out what things could really sound like given proper setup. But, like I mentioned earlier, I have to watch my financials. I do have some money that I can use but I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize it. In the JTR world its just a drop in the bucket. lol.

I am trying to decide what would benefit me the most. A: New subs to round out the sound? B: Acoustic treatments? C: Another T12(or 2 ) or T8 to finish the surround? D: A new receiver with better room EQ? Etc.

A) Subs cost a lot. Would love to take advantage of the special on the Cap 118HT, but I can only afford 1. And in my room I'd probably need at least 2. Could go 4 SVS SB12 on current sale or Maybe DYI ( FLEX 12? ) <-- would these even keep up with the JTR's?

B) Everything is situated in a living room/media room. I'd like to keep things aesthetically pleasing as possible and quite frankly I have no decorating sense. So not sure what to do here.

C) This will probably require a good deal of patience to find another great deal.

D) On this I'm not sure what to do. New receiver with better EQ capabilities or possibly separates and use Minidsp DDRC 88A

Details...I have no idea if you even need this info or if it will be...TMI lol.
ROOM...15x21x9 The T12's are on the(15 wall). Facing the T12's on the left side is a fireplace about 2ft out from front wall. On the right side about 2ft from front wall starts the opening into the dining room with french doors that I usually leave open at all times. Seating is a couch and 2 chairs. Layout is non uniform in that the left side of couch is actually 15/16 ft back in the center of room and the right side is about 9 ft from front wall. Imagine a big V. The front wall had 2 windows but I covered them up with 2 pieces(8ft sq) of celltex sheet insulation and painted them the same wall color and mounted a 100" SI Black Diamond. Left side has 2 windows, 1 in the corner on the other side of the fireplace and close to a T12. Further back on the opposite side of the fireplace is the front door and then the other window. Both windows have thick heavy curtains. I may take pictures once I do some cleaning. RECEIVER is a Denon 3313ci. Standard blueray, xbox, playstation, etc. I have no dedicated circuits for equipment and all outlets in living room are off one breaker.

I have at most....$1500-1600 I cant part with. I am 60 music 40 movies. leaning towards 80/20. If there is anything else you need to know ask. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Forgot to add.... the house is Peer and beem, the floor is wood with a sheet of carpet approximately 11'x15' centered in the room with furniture on top.

Let me add one more thing. If it comes down to it, and based on any feedback I receive, I am willing to sell my Epson 5030ube to try and get more money to use and go back to the Infocus 7210 I had previously if that's what it will take to get to where I need to be.

Dogs love me cuz I'm crazy sniffable

Last edited by appleseed; 12-30-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #36404 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleseed View Post
Hello everyone. Most, if not all of you, will not know me. Even though I've been on the forum for quite some time. I usually keep to myself and don't post much. lol. I'll try to make an effort to be more sociable.

Recently I acquired and have become the new owner of some fantastic JTR T12's (3) from laeriq and T8 (1) from raynist. My first at owning JTR speakers. At some point I hope to find another T8 of the same era or maybe a T12, again from the same era, and perhaps use the T8 as a center. I'm going to have to watch the financials a bit so I'm probably going to have to be patient on getting another great deal on either.

I currently only have 2 of the T12's set up in stereo. Heavy buggers BTW. At first, when I initially set them up, I was disappointed. The Deftech's I had before simply sounded better to me. Shocker right? heh. Well, after giving it some time I've come to realize that with the exception of the bottom end the T12's are simply magnificent. Don't get me wrong. The Deftech's held there own for the most part at lower volumes ( fuller sound since they dig a bit deeper ) but holly hell when you go to turn things up a bit. The T12's may not have the low end but obliterate in sound quality otherwise. After having them for a bit over a month now I've been finding myself enjoying listening to music again. I've been suffering from depression lately and to be honest haven't been enjoying much of anything because of it. But, having these and being able to hear with amazement more details in the music I used to love listening to and once again finding enjoyment in doing so has been a blessing. I sometimes find myself closing my eyes and just melting away. I now wish I had more comfortable furniture. I just have to say that I feel like I owe Mr Permanian my thanks for creating these wonderful speakers and to laeriq and raynist for having such good deals on them.

Now, having made you read all of that(Sorry) I'd like to pick your collective brains a bit. As much as I like things as they are, I know that my setup is not ideal. Far from it. If I like it this much, I'm almost scared to find out what things could really sound like given proper setup. But, like I mentioned earlier, I have to watch my financials. I do have some money that I can use but I'm trying to figure out the best way to utilize it. In the JTR world its just a drop in the bucket. lol.

I am trying to decide what would benefit me the most. A: New subs to round out the sound? B: Acoustic treatments? C: Another T12(or 2 ) or T8 to finish the surround? D: A new receiver with better room EQ? Etc.

A) Subs cost a lot. Would love to take advantage of the special on the Cap 118HT, but I can only afford 1. And in my room I'd probably need at least 2. Could go 4 SVS SB12 on current sale or Maybe DYI ( FLEX 12? ) <-- would these even keep up with the JTR's?

B) Everything is situated in a living room/media room. I'd like to keep things aesthetically pleasing as possible and quite frankly I have no decorating sense. So not sure what to do here.

C) This will probably require a good deal of patience to find another great deal.

D) On this I'm not sure what to do. New receiver with better EQ capabilities or possibly separates and use Minidsp DDRC 88A

ROOM...15x21x9 The T12's are on the(15 wall). Facing the T12's on the left side is a fireplace about 2ft out from front wall. On the right side about 2ft from front wall starts the opening into the dining room with french doors that I usually leave open at all times. Seating is a couch and 2 chairs. Layout is non uniform in that the left side of couch is actually 15/16 ft back in the center of room and the right side is about 9 ft from front wall. Imagine a big V. The front wall had 2 windows but I covered them up with 2 pieces(8ft sq) of celltex sheet insulation and painted them the same wall color and mounted a 100" SI Black Diamond. Left side has 2 windows, 1 in the corner on the other side of the fireplace and close to a T12. Further back on the opposite side of the fireplace is the front door and then the other window. Both windows have thick heavy curtains. I may take pictures once I do some cleaning. RECEIVER is a Denon 3313ci. Standard blueray, xbox, playstation, etc. I have no dedicated circuits for equipment and all outlets in living room are off one breaker.

I have at most....$1500-1600 I cant part with. I am 60 music 40 movies. leaning towards 80/20. If there is anything else you need to know ask. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Forgot to add.... the house is Peer and beem, the floor is wood with a sheet of carpet approximately 11'x15' centered in the room with furniture on top.

Let me add one more thing. If it comes down to it, and based on any feedback I receive, I am willing to sell my Epson 5030ube to try and get more money to use and go back to the Infocus 7210 I had previously if that's what it will take to get to where I need to be.
You need a sub first to really enjoy the t12s. I used to have def tech original bp2000 towers lcr and although they sounded good, when I replaced them with t12s and seaton sub the sound was miles better than def techs. I love all jtr subs, but if I could manage it I would get the 4000. However, the current price on the 118s is a super deal. Buy one now and another when you can. Next would be treatments, then find another t8.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #36405 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think what would improve your system the most is some room treatments and room correction. With a $1600 budget you could get several bass traps from GIK and still have enough for a MiniDSP NANO-DL:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/bass-traps/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-dl
post #36406 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
You need a sub first to really enjoy the t12s. I used to have def tech original bp2000 towers lcr and although they sounded good, when I replaced them with t12s and seaton sub the sound was miles better than def techs. I love all jtr subs, but if I could manage it I would get the 4000. However, the current price on the 118s is a super deal. Buy one now and another when you can. Next would be treatments, then find another t8.
My room I'm thinking is an acoustic nightmare. I've always had areas in the room that where an issue. Especially with bass. So I was thinking 2 or more subs might be better. Budget however dictates. lol

Quote:
I think what would improve your system the most is some room treatments and room correction. With a $1600 budget you could get several bass traps from GIK and still have enough for a MiniDSP NANO-DL:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/bass-traps/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/nanoavr-dl
The room treatments are on the table. Just wasn't sure how much it would influence the room. Considering that I presently have no subs, will the bass traps help the T12's sound fuller/ more full range so to speak?

BTW... amazing speakers...... any way to make them lighter??

post #36407 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My room I'm thinking is an acoustic nightmare. I've always had areas in the room that where an issue. Especially with bass. So I was thinking 2 or more subs might be better. Budget however dictates. lol

The room treatments are on the table. Just wasn't sure how much it would influence the room. Considering that I presently have no subs, will the bass traps help the T12's sound fuller/ more full range so to speak?

No Subs?!?! I didn't catch that. The Triple 12's definitely need subwoofers. You could get one Captivator 118HT now and another later on.
post #36408 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know it is tempting to go with something like svs subs, but you will be so much better off if you just go with a 118 now and one or more later. With my def techs I had a svs pb12/2 + which was certainly better than a lot of subs, but once I got the seaton sub I heard what I was missing. Next thing you know i am buying another and then jtr s1. I love the sound of the 18" driver used in the s1.
N8DOGG likes this.

HTPCat

Last edited by HTPCat; 12-30-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #36409 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
No Subs?!?! I didn't catch that. The Triple 12's definitely need subwoofers. You could get one Captivator 118HT now and another later on.
Yes, no subs. Up until now never felt I had a need for them. as long as I was sitting in the right spot. Blasphemy I know. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I know it is tempting to go with something like svs subs, but you will be so much better off if you just go with a 118 now and one or more later. With my def techs I had a svs pb12/2 + which was certainly better than a lot of subs, but once I got the seaton sub I heard what I was missing. Next thing you know i am buying another and then jtr s1. I love the sound of the 18" driver used in the s1.
I only thought of the SVS since I could get 4 and help with evening out the bass in the room. 2 in corners 1 in back and 1 near field was what I was thinking.
I really do want a 118 or maybe a Growler? If I just get 1 that leaves $600 to either save or use towards a better receiver to EQ the room and maybe another t8. Not enough to get carp's 88 and an amp. Anyone have a used good condition 4520ci for $300? And a T8 for the same Will have to put up a want ad soon.

Also a bit on room treatments. For those that use them in a living room setup like mine. Would those be of more benefit to me than EQ? TBO...I know I've got to make compromises in this room so I've not put much thought into using room treatments as I thought they were better served for dedicated theater rooms.

Last edited by appleseed; 12-30-2016 at 10:16 PM.
post #36410 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My suggestion is to get a sub + something to do some kind of EQ.
If you use your PC as your main source JRiver + REW + UMIK-1 + a $20 boom mic stand is cheap and a great place to start.
For more money, I'm a big fan of Dirac (still need a UMIK-1 + a $20 boom mic stand).
You also need a way to cross the sub, if you don't already have that covered with your receiver.

Acoustic panels are definitely worthwhile.
You can DIY, or these are hard to beat in terms of value:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/panels
post #36411 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, no subs. Up until now never felt I had a need for them. as long as I was sitting in the right spot. Blasphemy I know. lol
I only thought of the SVS since I could get 4 and help with evening out the bass in the room. 2 in corners 1 in back and 1 near field was what I was thinking.
I really do want a 118 or maybe a Growler? If I just get 1 that leaves $600 to either save or use towards a better receiver to EQ the room and maybe another t8. Not enough to get carp's 88 and an amp. Anyone have a used good condition 4520ci for $300? And a T8 for the same Will have to put up a want ad soon.

Also a bit on room treatments. For those that use them in a living room setup like mine. Would those be of more benefit to me than EQ? TBO...I know I've got to make compromises in this room so I've not put much thought into using room treatments as I thought they were better served for dedicated theater rooms.
It's not so much that no subs as blasphemy (as much as I love subs). The T12s are just designed to be used in combination with subs. That enables them to be uncompromising in other ways, so that's not a bad thing at all.

For a living room, a number of companies make acoustic panels that looks like canvas paintings.
https://www.google.com/search?source...0.0l6.3985j0j4

To help with acoustics, the ideal solution is a combination of acoustic panels and fancy EQ, like Dirac. In situations where that's not practical (aesthetics, room practicalities, budget), you can do what you can do. With a limited budget, I think I'd get a few panels (first reflection points and back wall) and use JRiver for EQ.

Last edited by rcohen; 12-30-2016 at 10:25 PM.
post #36412 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, no subs. Up until now never felt I had a need for them. Blasphemy I know. lol

My setup is in a den with right side open to kitchen and dining room. I have made many changes over the last 8 years. I added corner bass traps first and then just recently added several GIK broadband custom art panels. In between I have used audyssey xt, xt 32 and audyssry pro, then dirac with 2 88a and now arcam 550 with dirac. Every change has been an improvement, but dirac was a much bigger improvement than any other. The second biggest improvement were the bass traps and 3rd were the panels. This doesn't account for changes in the speakers or subs, currently jtr 212ht (originals) LCR & s8s for surrounds with seaton master/slave subs upfront and jtr s1 sub in back.

HTPCat
post #36413 of 39130 Old 12-30-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
My suggestion is to get a sub + something to do some kind of EQ.
If you use your PC as your main source JRiver + REW + UMIK-1 + a $20 boom mic stand is cheap and a great place to start.
For more money, I'm a big fan of Dirac (still need a UMIK-1 + a $20 boom mic stand).
You also need a way to cross the sub, if you don't already have that covered with your receiver.

Acoustic panels are definitely worthwhile.
You can DIY, or these are hard to beat in terms of value:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/panels
Quote:
It's not so much that no subs as blasphemy (as much as I love subs). The T12s are just designed to be used in combination with subs. That enables them to be uncompromising in other ways, so that's not a bad thing at all.

For a living room, a number of companies make acoustic panels that looks like canvas paintings.
https://www.google.com/search?source...0.0l6.3985j0j4

To help with acoustics, the ideal solution is a combination of acoustic panels and fancy EQ, like Dirac. In situations where that's not practical (aesthetics, room practicalities, budget), you can do what you can do. With a limited budget, I think I'd get a few panels (first reflection points and back wall) and use JRiver for EQ.
I do not currently use a PC for source. Thought about it, but never put it into practice as I figured it'd be overly complicated and I don't have a spare I can use for this purpose. Thanks for the links. looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
My setup is in a den with right side open to kitchen and dining room. I have made many changes over the last 8 years. I added corner bass traps first and then just recently added several GIK broadband custom art panels. In between I have used audyssey xt, xt 32 and audyssry pro, then dirac with 2 88a and now arcam 550 with dirac. Every change has been an improvement, but dirac was a much bigger improvement than any other. The second biggest improvement were the bass traps and 3rd were the panels. This doesn't account for changes in the speakers or subs, currently jtr 212ht (originals) LCR & s8s for surrounds with seaton master/slave subs upfront and jtr s1 sub in back.
Thanks for the input. looking like I should sell my projector, get a single 118, use my receiver as a preamp, get carps 88( if still around ), and I think there was a UPA 7 for under 6. Then use what's left to get some panels. Hmm Well, I still got to get a T8

post #36414 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Very informative/interesting post and that table is strikingly beautiful. You are into woodworking?

The color of the wood, yellowish on the table and "chocolaty" on the subwoofer, could be changed simply by using different stain colors? ie Customers could request Jeff to use different colors?

Yes I am into woodworking. A lot of the custom theaters we work on use custom cabinetry. Jeff's Captivator 118 is such a great value that I'm going to start suggesting that clients order one with custom veneer to match their woodwork. Actually anyone could do this, I have found Jeff to be very accommodating on matching custom finishes. In my own case, I sent him one of our QTR Teak kitchen doors and his custom cabinetry vendor matched both the grain, color and finish exactly. You can use a stain to change the color of any wood, but I like the beauty of natural wood in a clear varnish. That's why people spend so much money on exotic hardwood floors to get the color they want with a beautiful grain.

Below is are 32 samples of hardwood veneers available at my local supplier. The are posted in order from the least expensive to the most expensive. Each is priced for a 4' x 8' sheet of veneer only at 10ml. They are also available in 8' x 10' size for a little more. Jeff probably uses either one or two sheets in each sub he makes depending on the model and sheet size. Jeff's vendor may have access to all of these in stock at comparable prices. The final price will be higher because there is the added cost of laminating the veneer onto plywood and delivery to his cabinet maker. The first 26 range in price from $47 to $290. The last 8 are much more expensive, but I have included them to show everyone what's possible. For comparison, the QTR Teak and QTR Zebra Wood subwoofers Jeff has already shipped had veneers that cost $132 at my supplier.

https://www.glveneer.com

Other than QTR Teak my favorite mid priced wood is the QTR Anzem for about $20 more"

Of coarse my favorite wood is the figured premium KOA wood from Hawaii. But that would probably double the cost of the sub just for veneer!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 1 - Sapele PS.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1863985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 2 - African Mahogany.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1863993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 3 - Ebony Macassar QTR RCN.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1864001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 4 - Rosewood PS REN RCN EC.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1864009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 5 - Walnut QTR FIG.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1864017  

Name:	Veneer 6 - Jatoba PS.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1864025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 7 - Zebrawood QTR.jpg
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	1864033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 8 - Teak QTR.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1864041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 9 - Lacewood.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1864049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 10 - Satinwood Movinque DM.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1864057  

Name:	Veneer 11 - Cherry QTR FIF.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1864145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 12 - Anzem QTR.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	1864153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 13 - Padauk PS.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1864161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 14 - Padauk QTR.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1864169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 15 - Primavera QTR.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1864177  

Name:	Veneer 16 - African Walnut QTR.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1864185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 17 - Honduras Mahogany QTR.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1864193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 18 - Etimoe QTR.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1864201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 19 - Moabl Pommele.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1864209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 20 - Palado QTR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1864217  

Name:	Veneer 21 - Sapele QTR FIG.jpg
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1864225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 22 - Makore QTR FIG.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1864233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 23 - Rosewood Santos.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1864241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 24 - Eucalyptus Pomele.jpg
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1864249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 25 - Oriental Wood.jpg
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	1864257  

Name:	Veneer 26 - Mozambique QTR FIG.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1864265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 27 - Maple BURL.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1864273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 28 - Koa.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1864289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 29 - Rosewood Burl.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1864297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 30 - Maple BURL.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1864305  

Name:	Veneer 31 - Maple Birdseye ARCH.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1864313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Veneer 32 - KOA FIG PREM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1864321  
RMK! and beastaudio like this.

Last edited by Peterc613; 12-31-2016 at 04:40 AM.
post #36415 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, the Triple 12HT are designed to be used with subwoofers and sound much better with them.
post #36416 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, no subs. Up until now never felt I had a need for them. as long as I was sitting in the right spot.
Me too !!!

Jeff Permanian and BassMojo like this.

post #36417 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Me too !!!

I shall not be tempted. lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68308468.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1864833  
RMK! likes this.

post #36418 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Jtr speakers suck. (Clearly a joke) I mean I hit 123.5 sustained. 137 Max with a pair of 228ht and a pair of caps!!!

Lmao. Wife left house. Neighbors called cops. I had to leave room. I still can't hear. They're begging for more! I just can't bring myself to do it! Dear god. And it was a duo nylon string guitar track that registered those levels
Jeff Permanian likes this.
post #36419 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoked21 View Post
Jtr speakers suck. (Clearly a joke) I mean I hit 123.5 sustained. 137 Max with a pair of 228ht and a pair of caps!!!

Lmao. Wife left house. Neighbors called cops. I had to leave room. I still can't hear. They're begging for more! I just can't bring myself to do it! Dear god. And it was a duo nylon string guitar track that registered those levels
Be careful...use earplugs. With the cops, invite them in for a demo.
post #36420 of 39130 Old 12-31-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Btw. Any kc guys. Doug can take a standard ribeye. Smoke it for a few hours. Then grill it. And all of a sudden your wife will ask for a divorce and try to move out to get steak like that. He's insane ......
Quote:
Wife left house. Neighbors called cops. I had to leave room
Better check with Doug regarding your wife.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page