Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1274 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9815Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #38191 of 39206 Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
Is their one jtr speaker that stands out for movies only. In the past I have seen people say that the 228 are good for movies but not as much for music that you would need to step up to the 212 speakers or higher. Now all of the speakers above the 228 may do movies and music better. For a speakers just for home theater which one would you pick.
Allen
I personally run a trio of 228HTRs up front and listen to a LOT of music with them (mostly at low to moderate volumes) along with a Cap 1400 for low end support. I decided to go with the HTR version due to significant music listening. They sound great and fit well into our multi-purpose living room acting as monitors. If I could accommodate towers (hopefully with our next house), I might check out a set of 212RTs as their efficiency is the highest of the offerings. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the JTR lineup as the compression drivers are crystal clear. A selection choice might be more room specific and Jeff would be a valuable resource for guidance.
BassMojo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38192 of 39206 Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,559
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
[quote=DRC3;55479276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Yeah- I don't think that may folks think of these when choosing Jeff's speakers. I have them on the stands he makes and they look very nice, like towers. I chose them to have a fully sealed setup which may provide some roll off advantages.

Your 215 RT's are very nice Ray....
Yeah - I love them and will likely keep them forever, but had I known the 215RM’s could go that low I would have got them, saved some cash and a lot of space! The 215RT’s are sooooo deep front to back.
theblackangus and DRC3 like this.
raynist is online now  
post #38193 of 39206 Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I personally run a trio of 228HTRs up front and listen to a LOT of music with them (mostly at low to moderate volumes) along with a Cap 1400 for low end support. I decided to go with the HTR version due to significant music listening. They sound great and fit well into our multi-purpose living room acting as monitors. If I could accommodate towers (hopefully with our next house), I might check out a set of 212RTs as their efficiency is the highest of the offerings. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the JTR lineup as the compression drivers are crystal clear. A selection choice might be more room specific and Jeff would be a valuable resource for guidance.
Thank you for the feed back, but it is funny because the 212rt is what stood out to me.
Allen
BassMojo likes this.
DekPM19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38194 of 39206 Old 01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Member
 
Alembicjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hey guys, I'm also seriously considering joining the JTR family for the front left and right speakers as well as for surround duties. The noesis 215rm looks especially attractive to me because of its driver array and sealed design. All of my subs are sealed so it seems like a good choice from an integration perspective. I also appreciate the many great comments/reviews regarding this particular speaker from DCR3, Raynist, and Beastaudio.

My Def. Tech speakers are very good speakers but they are bi-polar and that has presented some integration challenges for me. I really want to go in a different direction and get a bit more of that mid bass punch and have all forward firing sealed woofers staring me in the face.

Am I on the right track here? Any comments welcome.

As far as two surround JTR speakers would go, it seems to me that I would need at least a 228HT to keep up with the rest of the system. What do you guys think?

Jeff.

Subs: 10 x 18" LMS Ultra 5400 in 5 Funk Audio sealed custom cabinets; 5 x Sanway FP14000 amps.
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP7000SC Front; BPVX/P surrounds
Pre/Pro: Marantz 7703; Disc Player: OPPO UDP-203.
Front Amp: Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2; Surround Amp: XPA 7.
Display: Vizio P65-C1
Alembicjeff is offline  
post #38195 of 39206 Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post
Hey guys, I'm also seriously considering joining the JTR family for the front left and right speakers as well as for surround duties. The noesis 215rm looks especially attractive to me because of its driver array and sealed design. All of my subs are sealed so it seems like a good choice from an integration perspective. I also appreciate the many great comments/reviews regarding this particular speaker from DCR3, Raynist, and Beastaudio.

My Def. Tech speakers are very good speakers but they are bi-polar and that has presented some integration challenges for me. I really want to go in a different direction and get a bit more of that mid bass punch and have all forward firing sealed woofers staring me in the face.

Am I on the right track here? Any comments welcome.

As far as two surround JTR speakers would go, it seems to me that I would need at least a 228HT to keep up with the rest of the system. What do you guys think?

Jeff.

Jeff- I like your thought process and think you on the right track.

My theater theater consists of 3 215 RM's LCR and 4 single 8's and multiples of sealed Seaton SubMersives. I just bought an Atmos Marantz processor, so soon to move to overhead speakers. The 215's either RM or RT will be super dynamic (very loud with no distortion) and provide much more extension, with adequate power (very important). I am giving mine 1000 watts with Emotiva 3 XPA-1's for center stage and could use more for LFE....Music the XPA-1's provide all I need unless I want to go deaf.

The 228's are definitely nice, but if crossing over at 80-150hz for surrounds, they may be overkill, but that's what this hobby is all about, LOL. The single 8's are very healthy and can handle whatever I throw at them crossed over...I don't think we are missing anything. Others on the forum I think would agree...

Have fun bud, you will not be disappointed....
shivaji and Alembicjeff like this.
DRC3 is online now  
post #38196 of 39206 Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

My theater theater consists of 3 215 RM's LCR

multiples of sealed Seaton SubMersives.
What is your crossover point for the L/C/R with the Submersives?

Thanks
jjackkrash is offline  
post #38197 of 39206 Old 01-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Alembicjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Jeff- I like your thought process and think you on the right track.

My theater theater consists of 3 215 RM's LCR and 4 single 8's and multiples of sealed Seaton SubMersives. I just bought an Atmos Marantz processor, so soon to move to overhead speakers. The 215's either RM or RT will be super dynamic (very loud with no distortion) and provide much more extension, with adequate power (very important). I am giving mine 1000 watts with Emotiva 3 XPA-1's for center stage and could use more for LFE....Music the XPA-1's provide all I need unless I want to go deaf.

The 228's are definitely nice, but if crossing over at 80-150hz for surrounds, they may be overkill, but that's what this hobby is all about, LOL. The single 8's are very healthy and can handle whatever I throw at them crossed over...I don't think we are missing anything. Others on the forum I think would agree...

Have fun bud, you will not be disappointed....
For the single 8s, wouldn't you need to stand mount them and if so, what stand would you use?

Subs: 10 x 18" LMS Ultra 5400 in 5 Funk Audio sealed custom cabinets; 5 x Sanway FP14000 amps.
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP7000SC Front; BPVX/P surrounds
Pre/Pro: Marantz 7703; Disc Player: OPPO UDP-203.
Front Amp: Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2; Surround Amp: XPA 7.
Display: Vizio P65-C1
Alembicjeff is offline  
post #38198 of 39206 Old 01-12-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,017
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
What is your crossover point for the L/C/R with the Submersives?


Thanks
I cross at 60 to my two S2s. I measured to 20 with my three 215rm’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post
For the single 8s, wouldn't you need to stand mount them and if so, what stand would you use?
They have keys lots on back and mine (slanted) are mounted on the wall.
Alembicjeff and DRC3 like this.
7channelfreak is offline  
post #38199 of 39206 Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[QUOTE=jjackkrash;55486488]What is your crossover point for the L/C/R with the Submersives?

Thanks[/QUO

60 or 80hz...Or the 215's can be run independently in Large no xover configuration...just depends on the level of impact you want.
DRC3 is online now  
post #38200 of 39206 Old 01-13-2018, 06:33 AM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post
For the single 8s, wouldn't you need to stand mount them and if so, what stand would you use?
Like 7 Channel I wall mounted mine with the keyholes Jeff designed.
DRC3 is online now  
post #38201 of 39206 Old 01-13-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
[quote=DRC3;55488906]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
What is your crossover point for the L/C/R with the Submersives?

Thanks[/QUO

60 or 80hz...Or the 215's can be run independently in Large no xover configuration...just depends on the level of impact you want.
I am assuming the main power suck on these is when you run them large; I am wondering how much power you need when you have it crossed at 60 or 80 Hz. I suspect even at reference a 2-300 watt per channel amp would be sufficient when crossed over at 80 Hz. Or is your experience different?
jjackkrash is offline  
post #38202 of 39206 Old 01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[quote=jjackkrash;55489684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

I am assuming the main power suck on these is when you run them large; I am wondering how much power you need when you have it crossed at 60 or 80 Hz. I suspect even at reference a 2-300 watt per channel amp would be sufficient when crossed over at 80 Hz. Or is your experience different?
Running 215 RM's large can shut down the xpa-1's at ~85-90% reference on difficult LFE movie scenes...at 60/80 I rarely see them drive amps above 50%.
jjackkrash likes this.
DRC3 is online now  
post #38203 of 39206 Old 01-13-2018, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 899
[quote=DRC3;55492716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Running 215 RM's large can shut down the xpa-1's at ~85-90% reference on difficult LFE movie scenes...at 60/80 I rarely see them drive amps above 50%.
If you cross them over at 80hz, can the receiver power them without external amps?
coolgeek is offline  
post #38204 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[quote=coolgeek;55493508]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

If you cross them over at 80hz, can the receiver power them without external amps?

Sure you can, but I'd eventually want to go to big power to get everything out of them.
shivaji and coolgeek like this.
DRC3 is online now  
post #38205 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 10:07 AM
Member
 
casperslide2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I've been a JTR owner since 2014, 2 of the older 212LP a 228 a couple slanted 8s and an S2. I can't really imagine better sounding speakers. We had a baby, and the theater room didn't get used much, so I moved everything except the slanted 8s upstairs to the living room.

Well, the baby is getting old enough, and my wife told me I wasn't allowed to move the speakers back down to the theater, that we should just buy new ones.

I called Jeff Jan 1 and placed the first order of the year. 2 - 215RT, 1 - 215RM, 2 Slanted 8s, and 2 Single 8LP. I'll have a 7.1.2 setup that should be amazing. (The S2 is coming back to the theater, can't ever have enough bass right?)

I asked Jeff about driving the 215RT with my receiver and he advised against it. Suggesting either Emotiva or D-Sonic. I ordered the D-Sonic 1500w stereo amp to drive the RTs. Along with a bunch more room treatments from GIK.

Jeff also said there is a new 2018 crossover in the 215RT, so I'm looking forward to that.

I was given an estimated date of Jan 30th. I'm really looking forward to getting everything up and going.
DRC3 and BassMojo like this.
casperslide2004 is offline  
post #38206 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Member
 
Alembicjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[quote=DRC3;55492716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Running 215 RM's large can shut down the xpa-1's at ~85-90% reference on difficult LFE movie scenes...at 60/80 I rarely see them drive amps above 50%.
I'm guessing that my XPA 3 amps won't cut it with the 215 RM's, at least full range. For me, I would also want an amp that could exploit the full range of the speakers, even if I choose at a later date to cross them over at 40-80 hz.

The Sanways I have do have great power and I am completely satisfied with them for my subs, but I have read from several posters that I respect that they are not ideal for full range operation.

Any suggestions for full range amplification for the 215 RM's?

Jeff,

Subs: 10 x 18" LMS Ultra 5400 in 5 Funk Audio sealed custom cabinets; 5 x Sanway FP14000 amps.
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP7000SC Front; BPVX/P surrounds
Pre/Pro: Marantz 7703; Disc Player: OPPO UDP-203.
Front Amp: Emotiva XPA 2 Gen 2; Surround Amp: XPA 7.
Display: Vizio P65-C1
Alembicjeff is offline  
post #38207 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Member
 
casperslide2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
[quote=Alembicjeff;55495942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

I'm guessing that my XPA 3 amps won't cut it with the 215 RM's, at least full range. For me, I would also want an amp that could exploit the full range of the speakers, even if I choose at a later date to cross them over at 40-80 hz.

The Sanways I have do have great power and I am completely satisfied with them for my subs, but I have read from several posters that I respect that they are not ideal for full range operation.

Any suggestions for full range amplification for the 215 RM's?

Jeff,
Jeff suggested D-Sonic to me. I ordered the M3a-3000S which will do 1500W into 8ohms and 2100W into 4ohms. I don't think that will be lacking any power.
Alembicjeff and DRC3 like this.
casperslide2004 is offline  
post #38208 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,559
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
[quote=Alembicjeff;55495942]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

I'm guessing that my XPA 3 amps won't cut it with the 215 RM's, at least full range. For me, I would also want an amp that could exploit the full range of the speakers, even if I choose at a later date to cross them over at 40-80 hz.

The Sanways I have do have great power and I am completely satisfied with them for my subs, but I have read from several posters that I respect that they are not ideal for full range operation.

Any suggestions for full range amplification for the 215 RM's?

Jeff,
I use crest CC4000’s for mine. Can get them for under $700 online.
Alembicjeff and DRC3 like this.
raynist is online now  
post #38209 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,089
Mentioned: 675 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3521 Post(s)
Liked: 3229
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperslide2004 View Post
I've been a JTR owner since 2014, 2 of the older 212LP a 228 a couple slanted 8s and an S2. I can't really imagine better sounding speakers. We had a baby, and the theater room didn't get used much, so I moved everything except the slanted 8s upstairs to the living room.

Well, the baby is getting old enough, and my wife told me I wasn't allowed to move the speakers back down to the theater, that we should just buy new ones.

I called Jeff Jan 1 and placed the first order of the year. 2 - 215RT, 1 - 215RM, 2 Slanted 8s, and 2 Single 8LP. I'll have a 7.1.2 setup that should be amazing. (The S2 is coming back to the theater, can't ever have enough bass right?)

I asked Jeff about driving the 215RT with my receiver and he advised against it. Suggesting either Emotiva or D-Sonic. I ordered the D-Sonic 1500w stereo amp to drive the RTs. Along with a bunch more room treatments from GIK.

Jeff also said there is a new 2018 crossover in the 215RT, so I'm looking forward to that.

I was given an estimated date of Jan 30th. I'm really looking forward to getting everything up and going.
Not allowed to move them back so you have to buy more? Gotta love that!!
carp is offline  
post #38210 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 65
[quote=DRC3;55492716]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Running 215 RM's large can shut down the xpa-1's at ~85-90% reference on difficult LFE movie scenes...at 60/80 I rarely see them drive amps above 50%.
With your 215 rm do you have something under them to raise up the center of the speaker to ear height. Looks like the Center is 24” overall size is 48” so I am guessing 12 to 14 inch stand under them to put the center of the speaker at ear height 36 to 38”. Unless you have stage built up and I realize if you have two rows you may be at a different height. Mine would be on the floor that my chairs are on.
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #38211 of 39206 Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by casperslide2004 View Post
I've been a JTR owner since 2014, 2 of the older 212LP a 228 a couple slanted 8s and an S2. I can't really imagine better sounding speakers. We had a baby, and the theater room didn't get used much, so I moved everything except the slanted 8s upstairs to the living room.

Well, the baby is getting old enough, and my wife told me I wasn't allowed to move the speakers back down to the theater, that we should just buy new ones.

I called Jeff Jan 1 and placed the first order of the year. 2 - 215RT, 1 - 215RM, 2 Slanted 8s, and 2 Single 8LP. I'll have a 7.1.2 setup that should be amazing. (The S2 is coming back to the theater, can't ever have enough bass right?)

I asked Jeff about driving the 215RT with my receiver and he advised against it. Suggesting either Emotiva or D-Sonic. I ordered the D-Sonic 1500w stereo amp to drive the RTs. Along with a bunch more room treatments from GIK.

Jeff also said there is a new 2018 crossover in the 215RT, so I'm looking forward to that.

I was given an estimated date of Jan 30th. I'm really looking forward to getting everything up and going.
LOLz... your wife's an addict of JTR now.. she's like, 'Don't take my speakers,.. they are MINE... MINE'...
DekPM19 and femi like this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #38212 of 39206 Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[quote=DekPM19;55498390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

With your 215 rm do you have something under them to raise up the center of the speaker to ear height. Looks like the Center is 24” overall size is 48” so I am guessing 12 to 14 inch stand under them to put the center of the speaker at ear height 36 to 38”. Unless you have stage built up and I realize if you have two rows you may be at a different height. Mine would be on the floor that my chairs are on.
Allen
I originally hand built and duratex'd stands at 14"...I've since gone to Jeff's stands at 24".
DRC3 is online now  
post #38213 of 39206 Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
duplicate post
DRC3 is online now  
post #38214 of 39206 Old 01-15-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 899
[quote=DRC3;55494074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post


Sure you can, but I'd eventually want to go to big power to get everything out of them.
But what if you have powerful subs already (I have the Orbit Shifter), and you just want to cross them over at 80hz... can you bring out everything the speaker as above 80hz with just the receiver amp?

Has anyone tried these with just the receivers? is it lacking something?
coolgeek is offline  
post #38215 of 39206 Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 65
[quote=DRC3;55504352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

I originally hand built and duratex'd stands at 14"...I've since gone to Jeff's stands at 24".
Man 24” seems high to me that would put the center of the wave guide at 48”. Can you tell a difference between your stands and his?
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #38216 of 39206 Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,559
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 2251
[quote=DekPM19;55507274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

Man 24” seems high to me that would put the center of the wave guide at 48”. Can you tell a difference between your stands and his?
Allen
That is how high the CD is in the 215RT

Haven’t noticed any issues. I do sit back about 15ft
raynist is online now  
post #38217 of 39206 Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yea that is what I figured, thanks for the feed back.
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #38218 of 39206 Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[quote=coolgeek;55505334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

But what if you have powerful subs already (I have the Orbit Shifter), and you just want to cross them over at 80hz... can you bring out everything the speaker as above 80hz with just the receiver amp?

Has anyone tried these with just the receivers? is it lacking something?

Yup, the orbit shifter is one of the best on the market...congrats.

OK- there are some caveats to running these off of a receiver....Can you hook them up and use them crossed over at less than reference levels? Yes....but, given that they are 4 ohm (not many receivers are 4 ohm capable) you will not hit 110db at 20hz and will likely shut down your receiver or kill it trying, LOL. Crossing them over reduces the power needed, but trying to hit reference and above will put a strain on it. Power is not that expensive, so I'd go with external amplification...
DRC3 is online now  
post #38219 of 39206 Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
DRC3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 173
[quote=DekPM19;55507274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post

Man 24” seems high to me that would put the center of the wave guide at 48”. Can you tell a difference between your stands and his?
Allen
Absolutely no difference I can tell by ear and they have the exact same finish...
DRC3 is online now  
post #38220 of 39206 Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,389
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 899
[quote=DRC3;55510434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post


Yup, the orbit shifter is one of the best on the market...congrats.

OK- there are some caveats to running these off of a receiver....Can you hook them up and use them crossed over at less than reference levels? Yes....but, given that they are 4 ohm (not many receivers are 4 ohm capable) you will not hit 110db at 20hz and will likely shut down your receiver or kill it trying, LOL. Crossing them over reduces the power needed, but trying to hit reference and above will put a strain on it. Power is not that expensive, so I'd go with external amplification...
Actually nowadays many receivers can do 4 ohms no problems... my Onkyo does it... (powering my now Noesis 212s)... I wasn't talking about 20hz at reference though.. i understand that isn't ever going to happen with ANY receivers.. in fact, prob most of the amps you buy won't get you there either.... I was talking about what if i crossed them at 80hz... i know my 212s are easy to drive as they are about 10 dB more efficient than these... but i was wondering if I upgraded, can i just power them off the receiver crossed at 80hz...

It's not about how cheap the amps are.. i already have a 4 channel 2000 watts per channel amp... i rather just use my receiver for simplicity sake..
DRC3 likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off