AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#25,761 ·
Are you sure? So when a SpeakerPower plate amp is used in a master/slave combo like what Seaton does along with Reaction Audio now offering it where is the passive (slave) unit getting the power from? Because the plate amp is powering both subs.
The Seaton and Reaction Audio amps do have power output with a master/slave. The JTR amps are a daisy chained signal connection. I've connected them before. ;)

#25,762 ·
#25,765 ·
Diesel 48 - here's a directivity graph of the 212 LP's. Not sure how different the vertical dispersion would be.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...onstruction/1498786-savoy-8.html#post24367397
Those look like T12 and Procella measurements, not 212 measurements (unless I missed them). I'd expect the 212s to be quite a bit better off axis than the T12s, thanks to the horn.

The vertical dispersion is probably similar to horizontal >400hz, but worse than horizontal

#25,766 ·
Nice buy! I don't know why I don't like that finish on the 212's because I liked it on my MA RX8's. But still if you are putting them behind a screen, the hell with it. You basically got a free speaker out of the deal so it is a win. I do think they look good with the grills though. I would also keep the 228's if you can financially, they are great speakers and for what you will get on a sale, you might as well just keep em for the living room. I kept my 212HT's for the living room, I was going to sell them and get something else, but I like them and really not much can replace them. The funny thing is my wife thinks they are hers now LOL.
They are hers. You just don't know it yet. :D

#25,768 · (Edited)
@dgage @Frohlich where's our play by play gentlemen? ;)
Sorry, we were knee deep into HT geekness and David had a limited window since he was gracious enough to drive 4 ours each way to come up here. I didn't realize how much of the 5 hours would be spent moving speakers around, connecting wires, checking all the settings,etc.. Only probably 20% of time was actually allowed for sitting and listening.

First things first, I want to thank Dgage for making the round trip. He just left about 30 minutes ago so he till has long drive ahead of him. He took a lot of time out of his schedule and was nice enough to bring his 212 LP and Coach's Seaton Cat 12s and his measuring equipment. He also was very knowledgeable, nice and all around good guy. Also, Coach, thank you so much for letting the Cats come out to play.

So the first thing I learned is that my response graph isn't that great. I have never measured my room before. We did an Audyssey XT 32 graph and a non XT 32 graph. I do have some room treatments (bass traps, absorption and diffusion). Sometimes ignorance is bliss and I truly love the sound of my system but if you were to just show me the response graph of my room I wouldn't say that it was a great looking graph. I had some dips and peaks that Audyssey XT 32 seemed to over compensate for them at certain frequencies.

On to the infamous mid bass difference between 212 HT and 212 LP, it definentely shows up on the graphs as the readings were almost mirror images above 120 HZ but under 120HZ the LP graph showed a several DB difference between the two. I think we would agree that this is what we would expect to have seen and we did.

The catalyst 12s I was very excited to hear as it is a speaker I have been interested in and is on my list of speakers I would consider for future purchase. It was a well built beautiful speaker that was extremely heavy for us to tote around....then again I am old. The challenge is that we could either run it flat (no Audyssey) or apply Audyssey but it would have been the setting for my JTR speakers. We were running short on time and didn't have time to run a new sweep for the Cats, so we just played them with no EQ.

I think there are two things I learned about the Cats 1)they sound very good but different from the JTR Noesis sound 2)in my mind I thought the Cats would pound in the mid-bass area but really it was just playing mid-bass the same as the 212 HT. I think you could more than likely EQ in additional midbass and to that extent you could probably EQ more midbass into the Cats than the 212s but leaving them alone they have the same midbass "impact" as the 212 HT. That is not what I would have expected...likely because I am ignorant as it only makes sense if you have a flat frequency response.

Please note we did not have time to do extensive evaluations and we were mainly comparing the 212
HT and Cats. The only real time we spent with the 212 LP was the frequency sweeps. We picked several clips we were familiar with and played them on both speakers. We also listened to a little bit of music. I think to truly evaluate any piece of equipment, you would need much more time and content. But at the end of the day it was about hanging out with a fellow AVS HT geek, eating Skyline chili and having a good time. Thanks again David!!!

BTW, Coach, David bet me $10 that a screw driver wouldn't fit into your Cat 12 compression driver and we confirmed that it does indeed fit. So the good news is I am $10 richer for winning the bet. The problem is that the screw driver got stuck in your speaker somewhere and we never saw it again. If you ever find it, do you mind mailing it back to me. Thanks so much!!!

#25,769 ·
Great write-up dude! It is always tough evaluating more than a pair of speakers in one sitting, heck it took us more than 12 hours to do 4 sets at Rilla's last g2g and we had pretty much everything setup to make it easy ahead of time.

IRT the Cats and their midbass/bass, they have a full range program that I am not sure if you guys tried out but it's a true treat, even for a bass head like myself. They really can dig deep with that program. Mark ran that last Jan. and I would have bet money on the s2's being on when I heard it for the first time. I even went up and they were moving a decent amount just from the displacement that the cats were throwing out.

Did you guys try and boost either the 212 or the 212LP to see if you could compensate for the difference and/or see what you could really get out of them on the bottom end?

I have more questions but need to read over your stuff again before I can toss them out there :)

#25,771 ·
Sorry, we were knee deep into HT geekness and David had a limited window since he was gracious enough to drive 4 ours each way to come up here. I didn't realize how much of the 5 hours would be spent moving speakers around, connecting wires, checking all the settings,etc.. Only probably 20% of time was actually allowed for sitting and listening.

First things first, I want to thank Dgage for making the round trip. He just left about 30 minutes ago so he till has long drive ahead of him. He took a lot of time out of his schedule and was nice enough to bring his 212 LP and Coach's Seaton Cat 12s and his measuring equipment. He also was very knowledgeable, nice and all around good guy. Also, Coach, thank you so much for letting the Cats come out to play.

So the first thing I learned is that my response graph isn't that great. I have never measured my room before. We did an Audyssey XT 32 graph and a non XT 32 graph. I do have some room treatments (bass traps, absorption and diffusion). Sometimes ignorance is bliss and I truly love the sound of my system but if you were to just show me the response graph of my room I wouldn't say that it was a great looking graph. I had some dips and peaks that Audyssey XT 32 seemed to over compensate for them at certain frequencies.

On to the infamous mid bass difference between 212 HT and 212 LP, it definentely shows up on the graphs as the readings were almost mirror images above 120 HZ but under 120HZ the LP graph showed a several DB difference between the two. I think we would agree that this is what we would expect to have seen and we did.

The catalyst 12s I was very excited to hear as it is a speaker I have been interested in and is on my list of speakers I would consider for future purchase. It was a well built beautiful speaker that was extremely heavy for us to tote around....then again I am old. The challenge is that we could either run it flat (no Audyssey) or apply Audyssey but it would have been the setting for my JTR speakers. We were running short on time and didn't have time to run a new sweep for the Cats, so we just played them with no EQ.

I think there are two things I learned about the Cats 1)they sound very good but different from the JTR Noesis sound 2)in my mind I thought the Cats would pound in the mid-bass area but really it was just playing mid-bass the same as the 212 HT. I think you could more than likely EQ in additional midbass and to that extent you could probably EQ more midbass into the Cats than the 212s but leaving them alone they have the same midbass "impact" as the 212 HT. That is not what I would have expected...likely because I am ignorant as it only makes sense if you have a flat frequency response.

Please note we did not have time to do extensive evaluations and we were mainly comparing the 212
HT and Cats. The only real time we spent with the 212 LP was the frequency sweeps. We picked several clips we were familiar with and played them on both speakers. We also listened to a little bit of music. I think to truly evaluate any piece of equipment, you would need much more time and content. But at the end of the day it was about hanging out with a fellow AVS HT geek, eating Skyline chili and having a good time. Thanks again David!!!

BTW, Coach, David bet me $10 that a screw driver wouldn't fit into your Cat 12 compression driver and we confirmed that it does indeed fit. So the good news is I am $10 richer for winning the bet. The problem is that the screw driver got stuck in your speaker somewhere and we never saw it again. If you ever find it, do you mind mailing it back to me. Thanks so much!!!
LOL on the screw driver.

Measurements?

#25,772 ·
Perhaps some of you are just spoiled :D "lack of midbass".
Never heard any JTR speaker so cannot comment.

But will 90 x 90 always be an improvement ?
No. For an HT speaker, you need the vertical coverage for the seated area. Anything greater, means stronger reflections to deal with. Now if you sit and stand in your theater, I sit, then increasing the vertical coverage from 60 degrees to 90 degrees would be an improvement.

#25,773 ·
Hey guys! I have spent the day listening to my new 228s (LCR). I obviously haven't had time to do a full review but I'll give u my initial impressions.

I've had a quiet a few items in the audio department in the last few years. Thanks to this web site and help/advice/ reviews/opinions from members i have been very happy with every purchase I made.

All I can say right off the bat is that this is the first purchase I have made that actually far exceeded my expectations. The 340s from ascend were awesome and I was impressed with them very much. They were everything I expected them to be. The fv15hps from rythmik were also amazing and everything I expected. Again with uxl Marty I made (which I don't believe I have fully dialed in and in exact phase with my fvs) great and everything I wanted it to be.

That is where the 228s are diffrent! Therese were the very first speakers I was just blown away by. They exceeded every expectation I had for them. The sound is Amazing.

When I first got involved with this hobby I had a certain undescibable sound sigtatur of my dream speakers. Let me tell you that I have found em. They absolutely are my favorite part of my system. They are great for music and for movies let me tell you I have never heard a speaker I like more. Simply amazing!

#25,774 ·
Hey guys! I have spent the day listening to my new 228s (LCR). I obviously haven't had time to do a full review but I'll give u my initial impressions.

I've had a quiet a few items in the audio department in the last few years. Thanks to this web site and help/advice/ reviews/opinions from members i have been very happy with every purchase I made.

All I can say right off the bat is that this is the first purchase I have made that actually far exceeded my expectations. The 340s from ascend were awesome and I was impressed with them very much. They were everything I expected them to be. The fv15hps from rythmik were also amazing and everything I expected. Again with uxl Marty I made (which I don't believe I have fully dialed in and in exact phase with my fvs) great and everything I wanted it to be.

That is where the 228s are diffrent! Therese were the very first speakers I was just blown away by. They exceeded every expectation I had for them. The sound is Amazing.

When I first got involved with this hobby I had a certain undescibable sound sigtatur of my dream speakers. Let me tell you that I have found em. They absolutely are my favorite part of my system. They are great for music and for movies let me tell you I have never heard a speaker I like more. Simply amazing!
Great to hear your excitement. Those things are just opening up too...Toe them in a bit more and just sit back in the mlp with your favorite album. It'll just get better :)

#25,775 ·
Can't wait to see what better is! Lol

All this amazing sound with only 100watts or so.

Its everything I've been wanting

#25,776 ·
Yes.. It's only signal. I have my 4 S2 's connected this way. Left LFE out daisy chain for 2. And right LFE out for the other 2.
So are you saying that you don't need a Y to run 2 S2's off of 1 sub output of a processor? You just run the sub out to 1 S2 and then connect the second S2 to the first?

#25,777 ·
So are you saying that you don't need a Y to run 2 S2's off of 1 sub output of a processor? You just run the sub out to 1 S2 and then connect the second S2 to the first?
Yes.. You can even daisy chain to a OS, Submersive, or a Triax. As many subs you want. That has the same Speaker Power plate amp. It's just sending out the the same lfe signal from the source.

#25,778 ·

I'm glad your enjoying those 228's. Now, one advice, "STAY AWAY FROM THIS THREAD!" And enjoy! :)

#25,779 ·
Just want to thank Frohlich again for hosting, being such a great host, and lunch. All the people I've met through AVS have been great and Frohlich more than held up that tradition.

So let me start by saying Frohlich has a gorgeous home and his basement and theater room are really, really nice. He calls himself anal and I'm sure many of us have those traits but his attention to detail is exceptional.

From an acoustical stand point, Frohlich's room is a mess. :D He has some bass traps in 3 corners and a nice diffuser/absorption piece on his wall that looks like a piece of art. But his room is open on the front left and rear left. And his side surrounds (Triple 8s!!!) are in front of his very nice theater seats. And the rear surrounds (also Triple 8s!!!) are too far to the corners and real close to the seats. Of course I would have never brought these things up if his room didn't sound as nice as it does. He wanted some feedback and I simply said I really like the sound of your room. I was surprised it sounded as good as it did with the less than optimal layout. The surround effects were very good for any placement, much less where his surrounds were located. I don't know how much of that had to do with him having big boy Triple 8s as surrounds but the effect was very nice. The end result of his room is one that most of us would be fortunate to have.

We started off just listening to his system with a few movie clips and some music. As I said, I really liked his system. Well balanced with a nice house curve to the bass and good surround effects. Listening to his system reminded me how much I like the upper end and midrange of the 212s...really nice. This was also my first time hearing the JTR S2s and I was quite impressed with them. Quite a bit of output from 4 18" subs and they sounded very nice.

So let's get to some measurements. First we have the infamous sealed vs ported 212 results. These are direct from my RME FireFace UC preamp to his Parasound Halo amp.

And here is the Cat included in the previous measurement.

And then we have an interesting one. I've mentioned that the 215 sounds a little different from the 212 and I'm not sure why. Is it the wooden horn, the larger horn, smooth vs texture, crossover, I don't know? But Frohlich has a custom 228 with a wooden horn and the 212 compression driver. The wooden horn is smaller than the 212 and 215 horn but we thought this would be an interesting measurement none the less. I didn't have time to listen to his center by itself to determine my thoughts on its sound. In normal listening it didn't call attention to itself, it just fit right in with the rest of the sound system.

And here is one Frohlich wanted. He mentioned he had never had his room measured so I tried to talk him out of it but he insisted seeing the results. So here is his system put back together with Audyssey vs with it turned off. These measurements include the S2s...look at that nice, deep, output.

Again, it was great meeting you Frohlich and thank you very much for being such a great host.

David

Attachments

#25,780 ·
Did you guys try and boost either the 212 or the 212LP to see if you could compensate for the difference and/or see what you could really get out of them on the bottom end?
No. We didn't have the time. Would have been interesting but either way you look at it, the sealed would be down on output compared to the ported.

But Archaea would be pleased to know I now have the Behringer UltraGraph Pro FBQ3102 equalizer he recommended. We just didn't have time to throw it in the signal chain.

Reactions: Archaea