Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9863Likes

post #38701 of 39253 Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3525 Post(s)
Liked: 4503
I have been naughty this year... Therefore, I am getting my stuff a little late...

tebling, bulls, dwaleke and 4 others like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38702 of 39253 Old 12-28-2018, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does anyone have any good recommendations on a heavy duty ceiling mount I can use for one of the jTR slant 8’s as surround?

I’m looking for something that can be attached to a single ceiling joist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #38703 of 39253 Old 12-29-2018, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone know a place in Houston or near within a few hours drive that can offer a demo of JTR speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38704 of 39253 Old 12-30-2018, 07:58 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbyte View Post
Does anyone have any good recommendations on a heavy duty ceiling mount I can use for one of the jTR slant 8’s as surround?

I’m looking for something that can be attached to a single ceiling joist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about cutting a piece of plywood that would mount to the ceiling, and then install screws on the plywood for the keyed slots on the back of the speakers?

I used a similar process to mount my Audyssey DSX height speakers years ago.

Here are the screws I used; I don’t know where they came from, but have been in my collection of hardware for years:

Here is a picture of the (ugly) mounting solution for the Height speakers; it is 1/2” OSB, IIRC, and I had it left over from another project:

I hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #38705 of 39253 Old 12-30-2018, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
What about cutting a piece of plywood that would mount to the ceiling, and then install screws on the plywood for the keyed slots on the back of the speakers?

I used a similar process to mount my Audyssey DSX height speakers years ago.

Here are the screws I used; I don’t know where they came from, but have been in my collection of hardware for years:

Here is a picture of the (ugly) mounting solution for the Height speakers; it is 1/2” OSB, IIRC, and I had it left over from another project:

I hope this helps.

Mark

This is what I did, but I didn’t use those screws. I used Big Dog cabinet wall hugger screws. That way I can adjust the depth of the screw to snug up the speaker tight to the wall.
post #38706 of 39253 Old 12-30-2018, 09:06 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
This is what I did, but I didn’t use those screws. I used Big Dog cabinet wall hugger screws. That way I can adjust the depth of the screw to snug up the speaker tight to the wall.

Tried Googling those screws, but not sure exactly what you used, so can you provide more detail on the screw type / size?

post #38707 of 39253 Old 12-30-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Tried Googling those screws, but not sure exactly what you used, so can you provide more detail on the screw type / size?

Sorry! They are Walldogs. Or Wall Dogs. You can get them at Lowe’s in black.
post #38708 of 39253 Old 12-31-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know that many here have had JTR speakers and the ones that are much more expensive. This is the first time I have had speakers at this price point and I could barely contain my excitement...

At lunch break, I mustered up all the strength I have left (I was still trying to fake illness...) and removed 2 layers of shrink wrap... Jeff did an excellent job on packaging. These foam/insulation boards cradle the goodies. Jeff should give my employer's warehouse workers a lecture on the proper way to wrap a pallet.

The Cap 1400 shipping box I ordered from Jeff sits atop the JTR Neosis 212HT speakers and custom stands.

This was after I ripped away the foam boards... What the heck are those shiny things that stick out?

They are speaker terminals... the size of a soda can...

I had read on data-bass that the terminals are over-sized. I just didn't know how gigantic they are.

The JTR Neosis 212HT:

One of the 12" woofers - Yes, the same size as the woofer on SVS PB-2000...

The wooden horn with the 1.4" exit compression driver (B&C DE990TN)

At the tip of the horn, there is a thin mesh that looks like a white dot sticker in this picture.

The JTR Neosis 212HT nude:

The 12" woofer and the the horn loaded compression driver:

The mesh like material on the horn loaded compression driver:

This is what the compression driver looks like inside:

The 212HT's speaker terminals vs the typical ones (KEF Q100 shown here):

The 212HT on the matching custom speaker stand vs. what I was using for the mains: Jamo C103:

A little closer:

tebling, rhed, nb67 and 5 others like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

Last edited by chucky7; 12-31-2018 at 02:49 PM.
post #38709 of 39253 Old 12-31-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Alright... Everything is in place... It took me a while because the Neosis 212HT weighs 125 lbs each. I did listen to them for a couple of hours on Thursday night.

JTR full frontal!

I haven't had a chance to re-run Audyssey yet. For now, I am listening full range with Audyssey @ L/R bypass and mostly in 2 channel stereo. My usual MV is -8dB for movies, -13dB (critical listening) and -18dB and lower (casual listening) for music.

My impressions so far... TL;DR... @Jeff Permanian... I won't be sending these babies back!

Some background info:
My front stage comprised of the Polk Audio LSiM 703s and LSiM 706c. I also have the Jamo C103s which I use occasionally to spice it up. While these are nowhere near high end, they are all very capable flagship bookshelf/center speakers and present excellent bang for the buck. I sold the Polk speakers right after I placed an ordered for some JTRs. Therefore, I was using the Jamo C103s for L/R and a KEF Q100 as a make-shift center.

I am also very frugal and tend to put dollar sign on value. For subwoofers, it's easy with CEA2010 Max Burst numbers, not so for speakers. One Cap 4000ULF equals to 2 2400ULFs. I have read many people say certain speakers sound as good as the ones costing twice as much and so on but no one can explain how and why.

When I ordered the Neosis 212HTs, I was worried that I won't be able to appreciate them which are much more expensive and efficient than what I had before. Take Klipsch for example, people either love them or hate them, because of the horn. Jeff assured me that JTR speakers, just like the subs, have 30 day trial period. Deep down inside, I was still concerned because I had good speakers that I was happy with and never thought of upgrading from to begin with.

-----------------------------------

The music I have listened to so far:

Alex Clare - I Won't Let You Down
Boz Scaggs - Thanks To You
Evie Sands - While I Look at You
Andrea Bocelli and Katharine McPhee - The Prayer
Brand New Opry Vol.1 - Lowlands
Eagles - Hotel California from Hell Freezes over DVD
Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely from Black and White Night
Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do
Leo Rojas - Der Einsame Hirte
John Barry - Somewhere in Time (1998 Re-redording)

On Thursday, I couldn't fit everything on the pallet into my wagon so I left one of the custom speaker stands at work. Therefore, I unplugged the left channel when I started listening in stereo at MV of -18dB. First I listened to the Jamo 103, then in the middle of a song, switched over to the Neosis 212HT. Some of you might have the experience that someone had messed with the volume knob so when you started playing something it was so loud and you had to turn it down immediately. The 212HT's 101dB sensitivity made the music loud, but still crystal clear. I couldn't believe how clean it sounded, so I switched right back to Jamo 103. The Jamo 103 was much quieter, yet it was veiled and lacked definition. If the 212HT sounded this good in mono, I can't imagine listening in stereo! Therefore, I hooked up the right speaker and put it on a folding chair. As for the Jamo 103, I have not listened to it since I had all the 212HTs connected.

I am much more of a basshead than an audiophile. Immediately I noticed how potent the bass was from the 212HTs. Though on paper the 212HTs only dig down to 60Hz, they seem to hit deeper, harder and faster than the high 30Hz extension speakers they replaced. I even felt slight tremble from my recliner and some chest slam from the drums in Eagles - Hotel California from Hell Freezes over DVD and the rhythm in Ed Sheeran - Shape of You. The 212HTs shined so bright with rich male voices. When Andrea Bocelli started singing in the Prayer MV, I got goosebumps and uttered out "Holy S-H-I-T". I have watched this MV dozens of times because of how Katherine McPhee looked in it. Now I have another reason to watch it. Maybe I will just play Darth Vader's "I am your father" on repeat...

Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely in Black and White Night was just ear candy on the Neosis 212HTs. The instruments were also very clear and the sound stage was just tremendous! After getting the Cap 4000ULF, I have not listened to Brand New Opry Vol.1 - Lowlands because the MV does not have strong bass. Boy, the male vocals were just exquisite and the strings precise with great separation when each instrument entered the screen.

With my last ~87dB sensitivity speakers, I usually listen to music at MV of -18dB or so. I couldn't listen louder for extended period of time because it got fatiguing after a few songs. With the 212HTs, I was listening at -20dB (I had not re-run Audyssey yet, meaning I was at least 12dB louder!) and did not feel I needed to dial it down at all. Then I went to the backyard for a breather and realized that I was playing much louder than before. I almost freaked out because I didn't want to disturb the neighbors too much! When I got back inside, I noticed that the music did not appear that loud! Because the 212HTs could play loud with such low distortion, they still sounded pleasant.

Last weekend, I watched a movie (using the KEF Q100 as CC) and found the dialogues just weren't as pronounced as before with a real center and therefore, the movie experience suffered. I missed the rich fuller sound from my last center speaker! Though I have not watched a movie yet with the Neosis 212HTs, I am positive that they will take movie viewing to the next level.

Back to more music...
GJG, tebling, dwaleke and 6 others like this.

Last edited by chucky7; 02-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #38710 of 39253 Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Awesome system chucky7. I am loving my 215rt's in my dedicated room. Most would consider them too large for my room and some have until they hear them. They somehow manage to disappear! Adding subs just make them better and let the voicing, imaging and defines sound of the big horn just shine even more.

Building my end game system so upgraded subs will be next! 90% 2 channel 10% movies and works incredible as a phantom center channel! Enjoy!
chucky7 likes this.
post #38711 of 39253 Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat4 View Post
Awesome system chucky7. I am loving my 215rt's in my dedicated room. Most would consider them too large for my room and some have until they hear them. They somehow manage to disappear! Adding subs just make them better and let the voicing, imaging and defines sound of the big horn just shine even more.

Building my end game system so upgraded subs will be next! 90% 2 channel 10% movies and works incredible as a phantom center channel! Enjoy!
What are you using for surround speakers?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #38712 of 39253 Old 01-01-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
What are you using for surround speakers?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2, no surrounds at this time. That could change in the future but i am mostly a 2 channel music guy. This is a new to me house even though been here a year already but the room and 2 channel part of the equation is evolving slowly so will continue down that path... for now.
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #38713 of 39253 Old 01-04-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, I've been reading up on a new LCR setup for a planned home theater and recently was introduced to the possibility of JTRs. So speaking of surrounds, what are the thoughts on 212RTs for LCR behind an AT screen but mixed with non-JTR surrounds/atmos (I'm thinking my already-owned 4 KEF ci200RS for atmos; 2 ci9000 in wall for surrounds; and 2 iq10s for rears)? Subs would be either one 2400ULF or two Monolith 15s. Room is about 20 deep, 14 wide, 7.5 high. About 80% movies and 20% music. I would appreciate any thoughts.
post #38714 of 39253 Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTreehorn View Post
Hey guys, I've been reading up on a new LCR setup for a planned home theater and recently was introduced to the possibility of JTRs. So speaking of surrounds, what are the thoughts on 212RTs for LCR behind an AT screen but mixed with non-JTR surrounds/atmos (I'm thinking my already-owned 4 KEF ci200RS for atmos; 2 ci9000 in wall for surrounds; and 2 iq10s for rears)? Subs would be either one 2400ULF or two Monolith 15s. Room is about 20 deep, 14 wide, 7.5 high. About 80% movies and 20% music. I would appreciate any thoughts.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing fronts of one brand with surrounds and ATMOS of another brand. Not everyone is ready to spend $899 per for surrounds and ATMOS. I am also using Polk/Jamo/KEF bookshelf speakers that I have not sold as surrounds, and NHT outdoor speakers that I scored cheap as ATMOS.

Either the 2400 or the 2400ULF would be awesome in a room that size.
Mike_WI, Pradeep2 and MrTreehorn like this.

Last edited by chucky7; 01-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #38715 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Time for change:

We recently moved and I have gone from a large dedicated HT that had full acoustic treatment (ceiling and walls) to a medium sized room with no acoustic treatment. The new room is less than optimal with coffered ceilings, a fire place, no door and has cabinets (great for media storage) along 2 of the 4 walls. Since this isn't a dedicated theater room the wife wants to go with nicer looking speakers. With all that being said it looks like the time has come to separate from the JTR Triple 12s, on the plus side the room is smaller so it shouldn't be difficult to be as loud and dynamic as the previous dedicated HT room was.

Has anyone else moved away from JTRs and if so what did you wind up with and how happy were you?

Right now I am looking at the Klipsch RF7-IIIs in walnut or the SVS Ultra series. Leaning towards the Klipsch since they should be able to play cleanly and clearly like the JTRs.

tx
post #38716 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
Time for change:

We recently moved and I have gone from a large dedicated HT that had full acoustic treatment (ceiling and walls) to a medium sized room with no acoustic treatment. The new room is less than optimal with coffered ceilings, a fire place, no door and has cabinets (great for media storage) along 2 of the 4 walls. Since this isn't a dedicated theater room the wife wants to go with nicer looking speakers. With all that being said it looks like the time has come to separate from the JTR Triple 12s, on the plus side the room is smaller so it shouldn't be difficult to be as loud and dynamic as the previous dedicated HT room was.

Has anyone else moved away from JTRs and if so what did you wind up with and how happy were you?

Right now I am looking at the Klipsch RF7-IIIs in walnut or the SVS Ultra series. Leaning towards the Klipsch since they should be able to play cleanly and clearly like the JTRs.

tx
What about JTR 210RT’s in some veneer?

I think that is going to be a major downgrade.
post #38717 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I am hoping that the smaller room will offset the higher SPL capabilities of the JTR.

Unfortunately newer JTRs with veneer would be out of the budget.
post #38718 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
I am hoping that the smaller room will offset the higher SPL capabilities of the JTR.

Unfortunately newer JTRs with veneer would be out of the budget.
Gonna get a load of hate for this but this certain other company has these MTM-210's that are a bit lower priced and probably very good
post #38719 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Gonna get a load of hate for this but this certain other company has these MTM-210's that are a bit lower priced and probably very good
The PSA’s are very good too, but he wants something with a fancier finish.
post #38720 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
The PSA’s are very good too, but he wants something with a fancier finish.
Maybe give them a call as they have some subs with real wood, furniture grade veneer finishes so for a bit more may get better finish.
post #38721 of 39253 Old 01-07-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Maybe give them a call as they have some subs with real wood, furniture grade veneer finishes so for a bit more may get better finish.
It wouldn’t hurt to ask, but I know people have asked about different finishes for the PSA speakers on their speaker thread and were told it could not be done. You could probably get them unpainted from PSA and then take them somewhere to get veneered but not sure how much that costs.
cocrh likes this.

Last edited by raynist; 01-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #38722 of 39253 Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing fronts of one brand with surrounds and ATMOS of another brand. Not everyone is ready to spend $899 per for surrounds and ATMOS. I am also using Polk/Jamo/KEF bookshelf speakers that I have not sold as surrounds, and NHT outdoor speakers that I scored cheap as ATMOS.

Either the 2400 or the 2400ULF would be awesome in a room that size.
Aw man, trust me it makes a tons difference. I’ve been there, done that. Like I said before, it’s like these speakers are made to go together as a set. Like HT in a box. Hmm, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Maybe JP can put together a package of different setups. Lol.. Wishful thinking.. Btw, if you ever have a chance to listen to S8’s. You’ll change your mind on the cost of these speakers. It’s actually a hell of a deal for what they can put out and sound like. Single 8’s LCR, Slanted’s as surrounds with a pair of ported Caps will make one hellova system right there.
chucky7, tebling and BassMojo like this.
post #38723 of 39253 Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Time for change:

tx
I went from Klipsch to Triple 8's, and while the Triple 8's were an improvement in every way, I did not find a night and day difference in the sound signature. Long story short, I think you'd be ok with Klipsch reference especially if your room isn't too reflective.
That said, I would try setting up the JTR's in the new room on a "temporary" basis while you look for a replacement. Maybe you wife will get used to them over time, or maybe she could put some plants around them for camouflage?? I dunno.
post #38724 of 39253 Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
I went from Klipsch to Triple 8's, and while the Triple 8's were an improvement in every way, I did not find a night and day difference in the sound signature. Long story short, I think you'd be ok with Klipsch reference especially if your room isn't too reflective.
That said, I would try setting up the JTR's in the new room on a "temporary" basis while you look for a replacement. Maybe you wife will get used to them over time, or maybe she could put some plants around them for camouflage?? I dunno.

Thanks for comparison info. I am running them with the Behringer iNuke DSP amps so I am going to see if I can dial them in to the room.

She may bend but I am trying to compromise on the speakers while staying firm on the subs. I had a SVS PB12 Ultra/2 and 8 MFWs in sealed boxes in the old dedicated theater and want to keep the SVS and either 4 or 2 of the MFWs in the new room.
post #38725 of 39253 Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Thanks for comparison info. I am running them with the Behringer iNuke DSP amps so I am going to see if I can dial them in to the room.

She may bend but I am trying to compromise on the speakers while staying firm on the subs. I had a SVS PB12 Ultra/2 and 8 MFWs in sealed boxes in the old dedicated theater and want to keep the SVS and either 4 or 2 of the MFWs in the new room.

Well good luck. If you audition the Klipsch before you buy them, I'd suggest paying attention to the midrange, especially if you will use them for any music. From what I remember a lot of their speakers (including mine) tended to have a recessed midrange. But that was awhile ago and may not be as true anymore. EQ obviously could mitigate that to an extent.

Last edited by dpc716; 01-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #38726 of 39253 Old 01-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Yeah, going with 228HTs would be an option to go down in size. The 210RTs would be an option but would be pushing the WAF. The Klipsch definitely will cost less but I know I will give up dynamics.
post #38727 of 39253 Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Yeah, going with 228HTs would be an option to go down in size. The 210RTs would be an option but would be pushing the WAF. The Klipsch definitely will cost less but I know I will give up dynamics.
With a good veneer those 210's would cover the WAF factor for sure

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #38728 of 39253 Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
With a good veneer those 210's would cover the WAF factor for sure

Been a long time beast. Yeah it would be a positive on the visual WAF, but would be a negative on the $$ WAF.
post #38729 of 39253 Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5409
Quote:
Been a long time beast. Yeah it would be a positive on the visual WAF, but would be a negative on the $$ WAF.
Well there is that... Hope you are well bud.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #38730 of 39253 Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 113
hey guys,

I have been reading up on the 212RTs and I also read how the 210s are great speakers as well. My needs are strictly 2.0 stereo listening.

I currently have the Harbeth 30.1 speakers with a pair of Rythmik F15HP. While I love the Harbeths (the mids coming out of these speakers are exquisite) I feel like I'm missing the midbass. My room is pretty wide 17' but not too deep, about 12".

It is upstairs and the back of the wall opens up to a greater more open area (stairs that lead to the first floor)

The 212RTs I think would fit quite well but I keep reading about how the 215RTs are the best of the bunch. I think if I get the 215s I can sell the subs as they won't be needed.

I'm running the Anthem STR to power them up so I think I will have sufficient power.

215s are huge though and I'm not looking forward to carrying 215 pounds upstairs twice!!

So thoughts and comments regarding 212RT and the 215RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page