Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1296 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10191Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #38851 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,699
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Still can't believe the OS LFU, best sub ever made, is no longer... replaced by something i wouldn't even consider...
The OS LFU was not replaced.

I believe it was phased out due to the lack of sales.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38852 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
tebling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Old subwoofers never die - they just phase out.
giomania and DRC3 like this.
tebling is offline  
post #38853 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
Thanks.

It can be externally bridged so it is 8x120W. Is that enough overkill?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


I was mistaken about the bridging; it is 220 Watts, not 120 Watts. That said, Crestron says not to bridge more than four channels. If following their recommendation that means it could be 200W x 4 and 60W x 8 total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
giomania is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #38854 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I was mistaken about the bridging; it is 220 Watts, not 120 Watts. That said, Crestron says not to bridge more than four channels. If following their recommendation that means it could be 200W x 4 and 60W x 8 total.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
At 60w you are at a max spl of just under 113db.

If you listen at reference and are 10ft from the speakers that may or may not be enough.
raynist is offline  
post #38855 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 02:23 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
At 60w you are at a max spl of just under 113db.



If you listen at reference and are 10ft from the speakers that may or may not be enough.


I get what you are saying, but I only want to use the 60W channels for powering the overhead rear surround and overhead object speakers (single 8 / 8HT or slanted 8’s) crossed over at ~80-100 Hz.

For the seven floor speakers (212 HT), I have a Classe CAV180 (180 x 5), and am currently using that for Front L, C, R and Front Wides; this would not change. I would use the 200 x 2 of the Crestron amp for the surround speakers.

Given all this, do you still think that the 60 W channels are not sufficient for my use case? I typically listen about -10 dB from reference.

Thanks for your input.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
giomania is offline  
post #38856 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I get what you are saying, but I only want to use the 60W channels for powering the overhead rear surround and overhead object speakers (single 8 / 8HT or slanted 8’s) crossed over at ~80-100 Hz.

For the seven floor speakers (212 HT), I have a Classe CAV180 (180 x 5), and am currently using that for Front L, C, R and Front Wides; this would not change. I would use the 200 x 2 of the Crestron amp for the surround speakers.

Given all this, do you still think that the 60 W channels are not sufficient for my use case? I typically listen about -10 dB from reference.

Thanks for your input.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you listen at -10 you should have no problem at all
giomania likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #38857 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Senior Member
 
smbsocal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Statesville, NC
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Well placed my new JTR order today; 2 x 212RT, 212HTR and 4000ULF-LP. This will replace the 3xT12s and add to the sub count. Jeff should have them shipping out at the end of the month.


Going to put the T12s up for sale and if there isn't anyone local who wants them I am putting them back in the theater room in the old house. With the T12s the house will be on the market with a nice starter pack for the new owners.
chucky7, tebling, Phonzo07 and 2 others like this.
smbsocal is offline  
post #38858 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,125
Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
The OS LFU was not replaced.

I believe it was phased out due to the lack of sales.

Yep. Years ago - long before the 4000 came out - Jeff told me once that he sold around 5 or 6 OS's per year which really shocked me considering how good they are. I always thought they were such a great bang for the buck, especially since it takes a lot more work to build them. If I were him I'd be glad I don't have to mess with them anymore.
chucky7 likes this.
carp is offline  
post #38859 of 39463 Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,699
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yep. Years ago - long before the 4000 came out - Jeff told me once that he sold around 5 or 6 OS's per year which really shocked me considering how good they are. I always thought they were such a great bang for the buck, especially since it takes a lot more work to build them. If I were him I'd be glad I don't have to mess with them anymore.
In comparison, there are already 3 orders placed for the 4000ULF, as far as I have seen on avsforum... And we are only in February...
carp likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 02-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #38860 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I've long thought that a blind comparison between a OS LFU and a 4000 would be very interesting, especially for those that have never heard an OS and have a preconceived idea of what they sound/feel like by looking at a graph.

I'm not saying everyone would pick the OS, but I'm confident that some would (especially if the room had concrete floors) and all that haven't heard one would be impressed.
I am actually going to find a minidsp to tone down the bass below 20hz.
carp likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #38861 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
In comparison, there are already 3 order placed for the 4000ULF, as far as I have seen on avsforum... And we are only in February...
I guess GRAPHS rules nowadays... I have been on the projector forums and people are going on and on about black floor, contrast values, etc... but when i see 2 projectors side by side with very different numbers, they look basically the same to me...
coolgeek is offline  
post #38862 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Speaking of OS, anyone knows if there is an alternative to the OS (if you don't need to build one yourself?). I mean the same kind of output above 20hz
coolgeek is offline  
post #38863 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Speaking of OS, anyone knows if there is an alternative to the OS (if you don't need to build one yourself?). I mean the same kind of output above 20hz
The Orbit Shifter Pro is still available (targeted more towards music than HT, doesnt have the low extension of the OS LFU)

http://jtrspeakers.com/orbit-shifter-pro.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #38864 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
The Orbit Shifter Pro is still available (targeted more towards music than HT, doesnt have the low extension of the OS LFU)

http://jtrspeakers.com/orbit-shifter-pro.html

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
When I bought my OS LFU, Jeff actually told me to get the LFU instead of the pro. I think it's probably a sound quality issue. The OS LFU sounds really great! Like a Hi-Fi sub, but with gobs and gobs of output!
coolgeek is offline  
post #38865 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Yeah for HT use the deeper extension of the LFU is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 is offline  
post #38866 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,125
Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Speaking of OS, anyone knows if there is an alternative to the OS (if you don't need to build one yourself?). I mean the same kind of output above 20hz
Has Jeff said he won't make an OS if someone asked for it? I bet he would. Not that you need one.
carp is offline  
post #38867 of 39463 Old 02-09-2019, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 219
ive had both 228htr's and 212htr's, and am now trying to get back in the JTR family but am having a hard time deciding between going with 228 HTR's, 210RM's, or 228 HT's (the new ones). Does anyone have any insight as to the main difference in these if I care most about movie watching? I plan on pairing whatever I get with Cap 118's.

JTR Speakers, RSL Atmos, Kaleidescape, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Marantz Processor, Emotiva Amps, JVC RS540
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #38868 of 39463 Old 02-10-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Has Jeff said he won't make an OS if someone asked for it? I bet he would. Not that you need one.
No idea. It's not on offer at his website.

If I managed to sell my set of speakers, I'll get an upgrade to the LCR, but I'll still want to buy an OS back. I haven't seen anything out there that equates to an OS yet... Unless one wants to spend the money to get 2 of his new subs...
DRC3 likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #38869 of 39463 Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,125
Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3291
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
No idea. It's not on offer at his website.

If I managed to sell my set of speakers, I'll get an upgrade to the LCR, but I'll still want to buy an OS back. I haven't seen anything out there that equates to an OS yet... Unless one wants to spend the money to get 2 of his new subs...
I remember we were PM'ing about you getting new speakers but I didn't remember that you no longer had an OS?
carp is offline  
post #38870 of 39463 Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I remember we were PM'ing about you getting new speakers but I didn't remember that you no longer had an OS?
No, no.. i still have all my original speakers... I meant if i sell all of them as a package, then i'll need to get an OS back, no matter that I choose for LCR...!
carp likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #38871 of 39463 Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Are there any JTR owners in Montana? looking at upgrading my speakers to a set thatll keep me from the upgraditus for years to come.

long at either the 228s or 212s.
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #38872 of 39463 Old 02-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
markg35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Are there any JTR owners in Montana? looking at upgrading my speakers to a set thatll keep me from the upgraditus for years to come.

long at either the 228s or 212s.
I don't have JTR's but have heard great things about them.I can speak for upgraditus.

Get the 212s or better!
markg35 is offline  
post #38873 of 39463 Old 02-12-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
Are there any JTR owners in Montana? looking at upgrading my speakers to a set thatll keep me from the upgraditus for years to come.

long at either the 228s or 212s.
212 HTRs and you're good to go...
coolgeek is offline  
post #38874 of 39463 Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
I'm getting closer to having all the speakers and subs for my new theater. Yesterday I received my second Captivator S2 and two more Noesis 215RM's. The packaging is extremely well done. Here is where I'm at currently:

LCR - 3 ea Noesis 215RM
Wides/Side Surrounds - 4 ea Slant 8HT-LP
Rears - 2 ea Noesis 215RM
Subs - 2 ea Captivator S2

Still to come
Overheads - 6 ea JTR Pro 8's that I'll pick up in April

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	645.4 KB
ID:	2524820  

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #38875 of 39463 Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
...

Still to come
Overheads - 6 ea JTR Pro 8's that I'll pick up in April
What are these "Pro 8's" you speak of DD?
tebling likes this.
GIEGAR is offline  
post #38876 of 39463 Old 02-12-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
madhuski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,689
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Spoiler!

I just clicked on your build thread - nice looking theater coming along (and nice to see a Storm unit), but beautiful plot of land you have. My wife and I are jealous.....
madhuski is online now  
post #38877 of 39463 Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
What are these "Pro 8's" you speak of DD?
Jeff designed them up a few years ago as a lightweight pro version of the Single 8, but never put them on the website. The cabinet has a speaker mounting top hat for use with pole mounts. They also have handles and metal grills. I purchased two last year for a commercial customer and am getting the remaining 6 for my overhead speakers.
GIEGAR likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #38878 of 39463 Old 02-13-2019, 01:53 PM
QuadMersed in bass!
 
giomania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,882
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Jeff designed them up a few years ago as a lightweight pro version of the Single 8, but never put them on the website. The cabinet has a speaker mounting top hat for use with pole mounts. They also have handles and metal grills. I purchased two last year for a commercial customer and am getting the remaining 6 for my overhead speakers.


Picture?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
giomania is offline  
post #38879 of 39463 Old 02-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Does anyone have the specs they can share for the 2014-2015 (pre 2016) 215RTs (prior to woofer upgrade, inverted cap drivers)? I’m possibly looking at a pair of those and would like to see the specs and feature writeup for that model year?

Also, when Data-Bass did the testing on the 215, was that with the new driver?

Thx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FOHTech is offline  
post #38880 of 39463 Old 02-18-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,646
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2127 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Does anyone have the specs they can share for the 2014-2015 (pre 2016) 215RTs (prior to woofer upgrade, inverted cap drivers)? I’m possibly looking at a pair of those and would like to see the specs and feature writeup for that model year?

Also, when Data-Bass did the testing on the 215, was that with the new driver?

Thx


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The db test was with the new drivers. My 215RT’s were some of the first with the new drivers. I think Jeff said he got 1db better sensitivity out of them but not a major difference. I personally wasn’t a fan of the inverted driver look but if you get a good deal I would not worry about the driver difference, Likely not something you would notice.

BTW - someone has a trio of the 215RT’s in the classifieds for $6k or best offer!!
raynist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off