Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1301 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9702Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #39001 of 39124 Old 04-21-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,755
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not crazy, to seek incredible headroom IMO for a short fun demo. That setup would allow for such and match your mainspeakers well for tonality. One of the best cinema setups I ever heard (and loudest/most capable for mains) was a setup made of 212HT for fronts, and 228HT for surrounds. We made this temp setup at a g2g at @dlbeck s a few years back. Each speaker had a monoblock cherry amp on duty. IIRC @desertdome took the system up to +17.5 on the Gatling gun clip from Book of Eli. The surround field was absolutely incredible. The 228HT could put the coals to that clip on surround duty! No breakup at levels SPL levels that seemed to rival real life! It was an incredible combo IMO!


I need to check out that scene. What other scenes would you suggest?
ScottieBoysName is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39002 of 39124 Old 04-21-2019, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
tebling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 233
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The Slant 8 LPs went up on the ceiling today, making this battle station fully operational!








1st photo, top to bottom:

2x Slant 8 LP (top rear)
1x S2 (sub)
2x Single 8 LP (surround)
1x Silver Bengal (technical "assistance")
1x garage sale couch because JTR doesn't make furniture yet

2nd photo, top to bottom:

2x Single 8 LP (top front)
3x 212RT (LCR)

HT Impressions:

My JTR journey began over a year ago with 3x Single 8s for LCR, and I've been slowly building up to the current 5.1.4 system, which is about all the room will handle. The final jump today, from 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 made much more of a difference than I thought it would, and playing a few Atmos and DTS:X demos really drove that home. The dynamic response is off the charts, making impacts and the like incredibly visceral, and the S2 makes for some truly scary bass moments, especially when the dishes start rattling and the lights dim (the whole system is on one circuit at the moment!) Since I haven't listened to many Atmos movies yet, I'm not sure how representative these demos are - but from what I've heard so far I have no regrets spending the extra for JTR heights and surrounds. It's an investment that is paying off not just with modern content, but also catalog titles I never would have expected to sound so good. An example is Contact (1997), which we watched a couple days ago. It was the fourth (or fifth?) time I've seen it, and I remember the audio being good, but nothing prepared me for how incredible the 5.1 upmix sounded on this system. I can't wait to start going through the many Atmos discs I already own but have never fully experienced!

Also - I want to post my impressions of two channel material on the 212RTs, but I still feel like my ears are adjusting to them. As a preview, I think they're pretty incredible!
chucky7, shivaji, SOWK and 6 others like this.
tebling is offline  
post #39003 of 39124 Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,042
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
Official JTR speaker thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I need to check out that scene. What other scenes would you suggest?


My personal favorite Atmos movies so far are Bladerunner 2049 and Mad Maxx Fury Road.

I’d recommend some of the Dolby Atmos trailers from this site as well. (Conductor, Amaze, Horizon, Unfold, etc)
https://www.demo-world.eu

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 04-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Archaea is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39004 of 39124 Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
I am thinking of doing an Jtr setup with 212rt's for lcr and would be be crazy to use 228ht's for surrounds?
I've been in a couple of rooms with the 228HT's as surrounds and did a complete calibration for one of them. If you already have 228HT's and want to upgrade mains, then I would move the 228HT's to surrounds. The Slanted and Single 8's have a wider coverage pattern and the same horizontal and vertical off axis frequency response. This allows for more even sound at all the seats. I would use the 228HT's for rears before using them as side surrounds. I'm using 215RM's for rears in my own theater with Single 8HT-LP's for side surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not crazy, to seek incredible headroom IMO for a short fun demo. That setup would allow for such and match your mainspeakers well for tonality. One of the best cinema setups I ever heard (and loudest/most capable for mains) was a setup made of 212HT for fronts, and 228HT for surrounds. We made this temp setup at a g2g at @dlbeck s a few years back. Each speaker had a monoblock cherry amp on duty. IIRC @desertdome took the system up to +17.5 on the Gatling gun clip from Book of Eli. The surround field was absolutely incredible. The 228HT could put the coals to that clip on surround duty! No breakup at levels SPL levels that seemed to rival real life! It was an incredible combo IMO!
I upgraded those amps to the MEGAschino Cherry Monoblocks with 2X the voltage and 4X the current that they had before. I was using my upgraded amps at AXPONA this year for the mains.
chucky7 and llang269 like this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #39005 of 39124 Old 04-22-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked: 4156
Below is what AudiocRaver of AV Nirvana wrote about the JTR system at AXPONA:

My assessment: I watched the demo movie snippets several times through the weekend, and, as one might expect from such an ensemble of capability, the system rocked with impact, providing thunderous impact through the low and LFE frequencies with dialogue and music clarity galore. A “friends of JTR” showing of the movie Ready Player One was a real treat, a visual tour de force with a fun music soundtrack. Peaks near 130 dB were reached effortlessly, painlessly. Breathtaking.

I was very interested in hearing music on that system. A brief early listen - before audio calibration - was a little muddy from the strong lows, but the fully calibrated system - PEQ, not room correction - was completely free of that effect.

My Test Tracks:

Radiohead - Burn The Witch
- The strings are very present and tactile. Vocals are located well in front of the screen.

King Crimson - Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
- Vocals sound like from a center channel speaker, that clear.
- Cymbals are so clear, a beautiful sound.
- Imaging is superb.
- Belew’s guitar solo is in front of the screen.

Wailin Jennys - One voice
- A strong, full sound with no loss of vocal delicacy.
- The middle guitar always gets me with its sweet clarity.

Olivier Messiaen - Quartet For The End Of Time
- Good separation of instruments.
- Violin nice tone.

Tower Of Power - You Know It
- The horns and saxes are so much fun, they have IMPACT on this system.

Beethoven - 7th Symphony, second movement
- A very delicate beginning and a nice buildup.
- Clear L & R string sections on duet between violins.
- NO stridence.
- Full volume for the crescendo, very full, no loss of fidelity.

B-52’s - Revolution Earth
- Lots of detail, even details I swear I have not heard before, even having heard this song probably a couple of hundred times on various systems and headphones.
- GREAT imaging, GREAT sound stage.
- Delicate and strong and full and balanced and accurate and revealing and impact-crunchy when called for.

King Crimson - Level Five
- I love the cymbals and triggered percussion, all very clear and true.
- Loud doesn’t seem loud when it is so SMOOTH and CLEAN!
- Two guitars, strong imaging and separation, no loss of clarity when strong bass comes in.
- No ear fatigue.
- Diving bass line reveals no FR peaks, no mush.

Scott Davie - Lilacs
- The beautiful piano tone is faithfully preserved, all of its inner delicacy is there.

Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere Not Here in 5.1 Surround
- I preferred the front row for most of these tracks, but this surround mix sounded better in the 2nd row.
- It is so fascinating to hear mix details that I have missed before, very clear.
- Acoustic guitar has its own place in space, great tone.
- Bass and kick are strong and present but not tromping on other sounds, NO MUSH.

The JTR system with the superbly clean drive support of the wonderful Cherry amps are simply very difficult to compare to for their ability to handle anything you can throw at them. Gunshots and car crashes, violins and piano, screaming jets and rockets, screaming guitars, delicate female vocals, rock, classical, bluegrass, you name it. Symphony goers who complain that a two-channel system cannot deliver the full dynamic range of a symphony on stage in a grand concert hall, JTR is your speaker company. Come and get it!

========

Additional JTR experience number ONE:

An after-show arranged visit to the home of Jeff Permanian, JTR owner and designer, allowed us to hear the Noesis 215RT three-way reference tower with two 15-inch woofers and the same horn-loaded two-way coaxial compression driver that graces Jeff’s other designs. Horns with compression drivers have been around for a long time, but I have not thought of them as being capable of handling delicate music passages with the accuracy and cleanliness of a reference music system. Much has been learned about horns and compression drivers in recent years, and the JTR systems join a very short list of speakers I have encountered as being able to perform with that level of music-ready quality. I heard excellent imaging, a soundstage that completely freed itself from the speakers, and such clean deliver that one easily forgets that speakers are involved. The cymbal sounds on the King Crimson tracks and the piano and strings all revealed extremely low distortion. The Wailin Jenny vocals tugged at my heart with their delicacy.

Additional JTR experience number TWO:

A few days later I sat in front of a pair of Noesis 210RT speakers with two 10” drivers complementing the horn, set up in the listening room of fellow AV NIRVANA reviewer Dennis Young. Dennis will be first to tell you that the room presents challenges for many speakers. One of the big advantages of a properly designed horn-type speaker is its ability to minimize room effects. The Matte Black lacquer paint cabinets had their position dialed in by Dennis's experienced ear.

I did not expect this session to be my peak JTR experience of the week, but that is what it turned into. Boston’s More Than A Feeling was the first track I heard. I love a pair of speakers that makes you feel like you have been sonically transported into the control room of the studio peering through the glass at the creation of a historic and timeless piece of modern music like that track. The Boston sound was super-clean, super-clear, imaged with stunning clarity, a soundstage that filled the room free of the speakers, and a fun liveliness that had me exclaiming that “This is how music is supposed to sound!” Not just loud - it was - but CLEAN, SMOOTH loud, the best kind of loud, with no sonic roughness or shortcomings, with the dynamic capability to play an action movie at sustained home theater volume - movie theaters rarely come close with this kind of accuracy - and then play vocals like the Wailin Jennys, not a bit of nuance left out.

The 10-inch drivers had no trouble with LFE bass when we threw it at them as a test.

We watched the movie Hanna, at a fun volume that had me worrying that the neighbors might choose to involve the authorities. The Noesis 210RT speakers can do it all, like their bigger brothers in the JTR product line.

========

JTR speakers have been on my radar screen for several years since they first started showing up with 2-channel systems at audio shows. They no longer just show up. They have arrived.

Source: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/ax...rt.4422/page-2
shivaji, SOWK, tebling and 6 others like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #39006 of 39124 Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,446
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Below is what AudiocRaver of AV Nirvana wrote about the JTR system at AXPONA:

My assessment: I watched the demo movie snippets several times through the weekend, and, as one might expect from such an ensemble of capability, the system rocked with impact, providing thunderous impact through the low and LFE frequencies with dialogue and music clarity galore. A “friends of JTR” showing of the movie Ready Player One was a real treat, a visual tour de force with a fun music soundtrack. Peaks near 130 dB were reached effortlessly, painlessly. Breathtaking.

I was very interested in hearing music on that system. A brief early listen - before audio calibration - was a little muddy from the strong lows, but the fully calibrated system - PEQ, not room correction - was completely free of that effect.

My Test Tracks:

Radiohead - Burn The Witch
- The strings are very present and tactile. Vocals are located well in front of the screen.

King Crimson - Happy With What You Have To Be Happy With
- Vocals sound like from a center channel speaker, that clear.
- Cymbals are so clear, a beautiful sound.
- Imaging is superb.
- Belew’s guitar solo is in front of the screen.

Wailin Jennys - One voice
- A strong, full sound with no loss of vocal delicacy.
- The middle guitar always gets me with its sweet clarity.

Olivier Messiaen - Quartet For The End Of Time
- Good separation of instruments.
- Violin nice tone.

Tower Of Power - You Know It
- The horns and saxes are so much fun, they have IMPACT on this system.

Beethoven - 7th Symphony, second movement
- A very delicate beginning and a nice buildup.
- Clear L & R string sections on duet between violins.
- NO stridence.
- Full volume for the crescendo, very full, no loss of fidelity.

B-52’s - Revolution Earth
- Lots of detail, even details I swear I have not heard before, even having heard this song probably a couple of hundred times on various systems and headphones.
- GREAT imaging, GREAT sound stage.
- Delicate and strong and full and balanced and accurate and revealing and impact-crunchy when called for.

King Crimson - Level Five
- I love the cymbals and triggered percussion, all very clear and true.
- Loud doesn’t seem loud when it is so SMOOTH and CLEAN!
- Two guitars, strong imaging and separation, no loss of clarity when strong bass comes in.
- No ear fatigue.
- Diving bass line reveals no FR peaks, no mush.

Scott Davie - Lilacs
- The beautiful piano tone is faithfully preserved, all of its inner delicacy is there.

Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere Not Here in 5.1 Surround
- I preferred the front row for most of these tracks, but this surround mix sounded better in the 2nd row.
- It is so fascinating to hear mix details that I have missed before, very clear.
- Acoustic guitar has its own place in space, great tone.
- Bass and kick are strong and present but not tromping on other sounds, NO MUSH.

The JTR system with the superbly clean drive support of the wonderful Cherry amps are simply very difficult to compare to for their ability to handle anything you can throw at them. Gunshots and car crashes, violins and piano, screaming jets and rockets, screaming guitars, delicate female vocals, rock, classical, bluegrass, you name it. Symphony goers who complain that a two-channel system cannot deliver the full dynamic range of a symphony on stage in a grand concert hall, JTR is your speaker company. Come and get it!

========

Additional JTR experience number ONE:

An after-show arranged visit to the home of Jeff Permanian, JTR owner and designer, allowed us to hear the Noesis 215RT three-way reference tower with two 15-inch woofers and the same horn-loaded two-way coaxial compression driver that graces Jeff’s other designs. Horns with compression drivers have been around for a long time, but I have not thought of them as being capable of handling delicate music passages with the accuracy and cleanliness of a reference music system. Much has been learned about horns and compression drivers in recent years, and the JTR systems join a very short list of speakers I have encountered as being able to perform with that level of music-ready quality. I heard excellent imaging, a soundstage that completely freed itself from the speakers, and such clean deliver that one easily forgets that speakers are involved. The cymbal sounds on the King Crimson tracks and the piano and strings all revealed extremely low distortion. The Wailin Jenny vocals tugged at my heart with their delicacy.

Additional JTR experience number TWO:

A few days later I sat in front of a pair of Noesis 210RT speakers with two 10” drivers complementing the horn, set up in the listening room of fellow AV NIRVANA reviewer Dennis Young. Dennis will be first to tell you that the room presents challenges for many speakers. One of the big advantages of a properly designed horn-type speaker is its ability to minimize room effects. The Matte Black lacquer paint cabinets had their position dialed in by Dennis's experienced ear.

I did not expect this session to be my peak JTR experience of the week, but that is what it turned into. Boston’s More Than A Feeling was the first track I heard. I love a pair of speakers that makes you feel like you have been sonically transported into the control room of the studio peering through the glass at the creation of a historic and timeless piece of modern music like that track. The Boston sound was super-clean, super-clear, imaged with stunning clarity, a soundstage that filled the room free of the speakers, and a fun liveliness that had me exclaiming that “This is how music is supposed to sound!” Not just loud - it was - but CLEAN, SMOOTH loud, the best kind of loud, with no sonic roughness or shortcomings, with the dynamic capability to play an action movie at sustained home theater volume - movie theaters rarely come close with this kind of accuracy - and then play vocals like the Wailin Jennys, not a bit of nuance left out.

The 10-inch drivers had no trouble with LFE bass when we threw it at them as a test.

We watched the movie Hanna, at a fun volume that had me worrying that the neighbors might choose to involve the authorities. The Noesis 210RT speakers can do it all, like their bigger brothers in the JTR product line.

========

JTR speakers have been on my radar screen for several years since they first started showing up with 2-channel systems at audio shows. They no longer just show up. They have arrived.

Source: https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/ax...rt.4422/page-2
^^^

FYI for people. Check out the URL for excellent pictures:
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/ax...rt.4422/page-2

{Scroll down}
chucky7 likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is online now  
post #39007 of 39124 Old 04-23-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,402
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Wow, you even spell with an accent!
Didn't know you could do a Freudian slip via keyboard. Dat darn speaker ware at axpona was definitely expensive...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #39008 of 39124 Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
The Slanted and Single 8's have a wider coverage pattern and the same horizontal and vertical off axis frequency response. This allows for more even sound at all the seats. I would use the 228HT's for rears before using them as side surrounds. I'm using 215RM's for rears in my own theater with Single 8HT-LP's for side surrounds.
DD, i'm looking to do 6 channels of surround with 8ht-lps with a single row of seats. Would it be beneficial to angle the 8s towards the mlp, sort of forming a circle shape around the listener? Not sure how I would do it exactly, maybe an adjustable mount. Or doesn't really matter and just mount them flat on the wall?

Thanks!

(edited a mistake. I wrote 9 channels of surround. I meant LRC + 6 channels)

Last edited by Marsbound; 04-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Marsbound is offline  
post #39009 of 39124 Old 04-24-2019, 11:47 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO
Posts: 2,733
Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1542
I improved the signal from my HTPC from a rookie RCA/3.5mm connection to a cheap-o Peavy DAC to my Crown xti 4002 that powers my pair of 210rt, and am trying out the Qobuz Studio version. I'm not going to gush, but I heard some pretty sick 2ch setups this week at Axpona. I'd throw this song below to challenge most of the 100k+ rigs at the show and beg for a more natural sound from them. I walked for 2 days through 16(?) floors of rooms filled with stupid expensive gear... man, I have not found a pair I liked as much. Placing the artist in the room with acoustic music? Yep, bet your ass.

This song...
Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
carp likes this.
d_c is online now  
post #39010 of 39124 Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,786
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsbound View Post
DD, i'm looking to do 6 channels of surround with 8ht-lps with a single row of seats. Would it be beneficial to angle the 8s towards the mlp, sort of forming a circle shape around the listener? Not sure how I would do it exactly, maybe an adjustable mount. Or doesn't really matter and just mount them flat on the wall?

Thanks!

(edited a mistake. I wrote 9 channels of surround. I meant LRC + 6 channels)
Do you already have the speakers? I recommend Slanted 8HT-LP's for the all surrounds/overheads except the ones right over or beside the main listening position. This way they can be mounted so they angle toward the listening position. If using 8HT-LP's, you would want to angle them with some mounts.

The front wide in this drawing is also a Slanted 8HT-LP and positioned on the wall so it angles toward the main listening position.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slant 8s.png
Views:	320
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	2558610  
llang269 likes this.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
post #39011 of 39124 Old 04-27-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Do you already have the speakers? I recommend Slanted 8HT-LP's for the all surrounds/overheads except the ones right over or beside the main listening position. This way they can be mounted so they angle toward the listening position. If using 8HT-LP's, you would want to angle them with some mounts.

The front wide in this drawing is also a Slanted 8HT-LP and positioned on the wall so it angles toward the main listening position.

I'll dig into this. Thanks DD. I dont have the speakers yet. The room isn't even built yet!
Marsbound is offline  
post #39012 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
for anyone that's maybe heard both, is there a preferable setup between 210RTs and a Cap118 vs 210RMs and a Cap118? I'm between the RT and the RM and can't make up my mind. any insights would be appreciated
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #39013 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,253
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5267 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
for anyone that's maybe heard both, is there a preferable setup between 210RTs and a Cap118 vs 210RMs and a Cap118? I'm between the RT and the RM and can't make up my mind. any insights would be appreciated
Definitely the RTs (my favorite Noesis)! They have a full octave lower extension than the RMs. 38Hz vs 80Hz.
dwaleke, d_c and Naylorman32 like this.
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #39014 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
for anyone that's maybe heard both, is there a preferable setup between 210RTs and a Cap118 vs 210RMs and a Cap118? I'm between the RT and the RM and can't make up my mind. any insights would be appreciated
I haven’t heard both but the RT’s extend much lower and would be the better choice. The RM was made as a center channel.
Naylorman32 likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #39015 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
And with RM's you need stands so just buy the RT's then you have stands and can do full range 2 channel music and much lower extension.

Unless for other reasons you want all sealed cabs in your room like DD...
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #39016 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Member
 
savefarris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For those that have your 8HTs wall mounted, what mounts are you using?
savefarris is offline  
post #39017 of 39124 Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 869
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
And with RM's you need stands so just buy the RT's then you have stands and can do full range 2 channel music and much lower extension.

Unless for other reasons you want all sealed cabs in your room like DD...

appreciate the suggestions. I think my plan is to go with 210RT as my LR, 210 RM as my C, and 118's for subs.
Gorilla83 and jlpowell84 like this.
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #39018 of 39124 Old 04-29-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylorman32 View Post
I think my plan is to go with 210RT as my LR, 210 RM as my C, and 118's for subs.
Let's face it, speaker stands rated for 85lb are not that cheap.

Any time when the cost of a bookshelf (210RT) + a stand is too close to a tower, it's always better to go with the tower, even if you plan to use a subwoofer. You basically get the lower extension for free.
carp, shivaji, Mike_WI and 2 others like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 04-29-2019 at 05:59 AM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #39019 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Well my 215RT's are to ship in next couple days. It has been fun, the bass these have is something crazy!...As documented on databass.com... Most their life they lived powered by Golden Cherry Maraschino 400w mono blocks, also going up for sale, sounded great. I did put one of my sub amps, Crest PL7.5, to a pair when testing outside once. It was pretty nuts to feed them 2000w lol, and hear the BMS4593-HE not molested by the room, as well as the bass

My first real speakers years ago were JTR T8's, pleasure to own the 215s. JTR is a great company, Jeff is a great guy and man of his word, the craftsmanship is top notch. He has updated crossovers for these the new customer will benefit from, Ive tried to offer Jeff money for them multiple times but he refuses (was part of our old deal if you paid for updated crossovers FYI). Just few words for anyone coming along considering JTR
chucky7 and tebling like this.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #39020 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
I know several here have used Volts for surround and/or Atmos as cheap solutions. I admit Atmos is something I have not even started to personally research. Ive been eyeballing the NAD processors with Dirac and Atmos... Im wondering how low of extension level is okay for an Atmos speaker? I imagine a sealed Volt 6 doesn't extend too low, should one get at least the 8 for Atmos? Ive had the 10s as surrounds sealed and they crossed at 80 just fine.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #39021 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Hi, I'm considering a CAP 4000ULF-LP. My dedicated media room has an unused 15a circuit that I could use for the sub. Would a single 15a circuit provide enough power? Thanks for the help.
dinamigym is online now  
post #39022 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Maybe I'll call it The Overkill Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
Do you already have the speakers? I recommend Slanted 8HT-LP's for the all surrounds/overheads except the ones right over or beside the main listening position. This way they can be mounted so they angle toward the listening position. If using 8HT-LP's, you would want to angle them with some mounts. The front wide in this drawing is also a Slanted 8HT-LP and positioned on the wall so it angles toward the main listening position.
I'm basically planning to smash 9.2.4 into my small room with all or mostly JTR speakers. See attached pics. imagine the surround image to include a FWL and FWR. The room is 15'-5" wide by 16'-1" with 9' ceilings and features a single row. I know it's pretty square. I'll plan to treat it as necessary.

After reading what you were posted earlier, I can go with a combination of regular and slant 8s for the surrounds. it's really just the overheads and the front LRC I have questions about. It seems like many people choose to go with a different overhead than the JTR 8s. I'm sure price comes into play, but I also wasn't sure if they had the right dispersion characteristics for the Atmos spec. I'm also considering KEF offerings in a similar price range, or JBL Control 328c.

I'm assuming 2x capS1 with 2x Noesis 210RT and either a 210 rm or 228 HTR as center channel. I was originally thinking the 228 HTRs all the way across the front. I like the idea of having maching 8s all around the room. But mentally switched to 210RT for the lower extension. I know they're both capable of way more than enough SPL for the room. It's just a matter of mixing and matching for best quality. The room is dedicated to media, but will serve mixed purposes of movies, music, games, etc. I'm likely to bite the bullet and spend some $ on a Trinnov Altitude 16, or something a bit cheaper with most of the capabilities. I like the idea of having a bunch of American muscle in the speakers and amps + some serious tweaking power to tame everything. I'm considering Cherry and D-sonic amps at the moment.

Thanks for any suggestions or input!

edit: words are hardd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.x.4.png
Views:	32
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	2562850   Click image for larger version

Name:	theater room.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	2562852  
Marsbound is offline  
post #39023 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Hi, I'm considering a CAP 4000ULF-LP. My dedicated media room has an unused 15a circuit that I could use for the sub. Would a single 15a circuit provide enough power? Thanks for the help.
I have 2 S2’s on the same 15a circuit and those are 4k amps.

I also have 4 PowerSound Audio Triax’s on one 15A outlet. Each one of those amps are 4k watts also.

I think you should be fine unless you are running it at its limits for a while.
dinamigym likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #39024 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 03:30 PM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I have 2 S2’s on the same 15a circuit and those are 4k amps.



I also have 4 PowerSound Audio Triax’s on one 15A outlet. Each one of those amps are 4k watts also.



I think you should be fine unless you are running it at its limits for a while.


Thanks a ton!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
dinamigym is online now  
post #39025 of 39124 Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I have 2 S2’s on the same 15a circuit and those are 4k amps.

I also have 4 PowerSound Audio Triax’s on one 15A outlet. Each one of those amps are 4k watts also.

I think you should be fine unless you are running it at its limits for a while.
Ive also put some serious stress on a 15a circuit many times at few diff locations over the years and only popped circuit once.
dinamigym likes this.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #39026 of 39124 Old 05-06-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,445
Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3402 Post(s)
Liked: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
Hi, I'm considering a CAP 4000ULF-LP. My dedicated media room has an unused 15a circuit that I could use for the sub. Would a single 15a circuit provide enough power? Thanks for the help.
My family room is an addition off the kitchen. I believe the circuit is an extension from the kitchen. I have every HT equipment (AVR. Cap 4000ULF, TV) plugged into the same circuit. You will be fine.

A little bird told me that a new sofa table version of the Cap 4000ULF is available. You should check with Jeff if this would fit your room better.
dinamigym likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 05-06-2019 at 08:43 AM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #39027 of 39124 Old 05-06-2019, 06:03 AM
Rise & Grind
 
dinamigym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SW Burb of Chicago
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
A little bird told me that there is a variant of the Cap 4000ULF - ST: Sofa Table version available. You should check with Jeff if this would a better fit your room.
Thank you! I absolutely will.
chucky7 likes this.
dinamigym is online now  
post #39028 of 39124 Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Can anyone confirm when 215s ship these days does Jeff lay them down long ways on large pallet? I know in begging and when I received mine they were standing up.
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #39029 of 39124 Old 05-07-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Can anyone confirm when 215s ship these days does Jeff lay them down long ways on large pallet? I know in begging and when I received mine they were standing up.
Mine were standing up - if he laid them down they wouldn’t fit on one pallet.
dwaleke likes this.
raynist is offline  
post #39030 of 39124 Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Redding CA
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Mine were standing up - if he laid them down they wouldn’t fit on one pallet.
Right yea, Jeff just gave me a cut list for plywood, hard foam insulation to pack mine/sold for transit. My wife thinks part of the wording means speakers are laying down but I disagree. But made me think hence my asking

Edit: Just to confirm if anyone came later...It is to lay them down. Some shipping companies will not charge more if under 8ft and much safer to ship this way...

Last edited by jlpowell84; 05-08-2019 at 02:32 PM.
jlpowell84 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off