Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9817Likes

post #39121 of 39207 Old 07-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
The Noesis 110HTs are really intended to be wall-hung or corner loaded to have extension to 73Hz. In this regard, they are perfect as surrounds or even Atmos speakers. If you can't put the 110HTs on a boundary, or use a higher crossover of 100~120Hz, you might be better off going with Single 8HTs...
I've got my 110HT about 6" - 8" off of a boundary wall and my Cap 1400 crossed over @ 80Hz. They sound fantastic at that crossover and I don't see the need to adjust it.

Anyone have recommendations for comparing the 8HT and the 110HT, music or movie wise, to accentuate any differences that might help others make a decision? I'll attempt a mini-shootout this week and have a few non-audio nerd friends listen as well.
chucky7 likes this.

Sony 75X940E JTR 110HT, Single 8HT, Captivator 1400 Denon X4200W Sony X800M2 ATV4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39122 of 39207 Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Rise & Grind

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
These are fairly large, typical for stage monitors.

I don't think they are lower profile than say the 110HT (8" deep), Single 8HT-LP (7" deep) or the Slanted 8HT-lp ( 3.3" ~ 8" deep)
Thanks very much for the info.
chucky7 likes this.

Trinnov Altitude 16, Magico A3, Magico ACC, Magico A1s, Dual Rythmik FV25HP
Amps- ATI AT523NC, AT524NC, AT528NC
Kaleidescape Terra Server/Strato, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV4k, XFinity X1
Sony VPL-VW5000, 136" 2.35:1 Stewart Studiotek 100 screen, Lumagen Pro 4242
post #39123 of 39207 Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Anyone have recommendations for comparing the 8HT and the 110HT, music or movie wise, to accentuate any differences that might help others make a decision? I'll attempt a mini-shootout this week and have a few non-audio nerd friends listen as well.

Again .. thanks so much for be willing to do that. For myself, I am mostly interested as a center channel so clarity of dialog is prime. My current center is way-too-warm compared to the Single 8HTs and so sounds chesty/muted by comparison.

And .. should I keep the Single 8HT as LR also interested if the 110 has the same tonal characteristics. For this, just switching white or pink noise between the two might be enough (no measurements required)... although I realize this could be room-dependent if the dispersion characteristics of the two are substantially different.

2-channel music is secondary though I'm interested in that. I can't imagine that the 110's won't be stellar, anyway.

One could say I should just by a Single 8HT and not even think about it .. but I'm holding myself open for future options of buying a 110 now ... and then very-maybe upgrading in future to 110s for LR and moving the 8HT to surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39124 of 39207 Old 07-15-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Quoted: 3494 Post(s)
Liked: 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
I've got my 110HT about 6" - 8" off of a boundary wall and my Cap 1400 crossed over @ 80Hz. They sound fantastic at that crossover and I don't see the need to adjust it.
If you had regular bookshelf speakers that extend down to say 60Hz, people might tell you to move your mains forward so that the faceplate of the 110HT is more in line with the front of your Cap 1400 for even better imaging.

I would say if you can't tell the difference, of if the FR is already pretty flat from 80~120Hz then you are set.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 07-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #39125 of 39207 Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Jimmy View Post
Parasound Halo A 31.
I have an A51 I use for LCR duty on my 212s.
I tried several amps with the 212s, and the A51 was my favorite of the ones that I tried.

Specifically:
1) The high end was slightly nicer sounding to me, even after EQ for identically measuring frequency response. Not sure what's up with that, but I like it.
2) Low SNR so that the very high sensitivity 212s don't hiss. This can be a problem with some amps on very high sensitivity speakers. More specifically, I can hear a very slight hiss if I stick my ears in the horns, but nothing at a few feet away.
3) No fans. When maximizing dynamic range (as you should with highly dynamic speakers like this) things get really magic if you focus on getting your room's noise floor as low as you possibly can.
4) Ample power to feed 212s.

I don't mean to suggest that it's better than anyone else's amp - just that I really like it with my 212s.
post #39126 of 39207 Old 07-16-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoctor View Post
What Center speakers would go with, let's say, the 210RT?

I have Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons and I must say, there is no listening fatigue and the Horizon Sierra Center is pretty decent (it too has RAAL ribbons. But I have been lusting at the JTR 210RT and didn't know if the Seirra Horizon Center would work.

My experience with horn tweeters in past (klipsch) caused ringing in my ears (i have nerve damage in right ear) but the RAAL do not. So I did not know if JTR 210RT would be similar.

Most of my listening is 80% movies, 20% music.
Unlike Klipsch, JTRs have a flat response and low distortion, so no need to worry about a stereotypical horn sound. I've heard the Sierra RAALs. They sound great and are pretty. I'd say that the JTR 3-ways have a somewhat similar character. The biggest differences are more output capability and more controlled directivity.

If you are after something very specific with treble response, you might consider an EQ system that lets you draw a target curve. Rooms will have much more variation in that department than the characteristic sound differences between JTRs and Sierra RAALs. You mainly get much more output capability and less sound bouncing off walls. The more narrow directivity is actually really nice for home theater, IMO, because you get much better dialog intelligibility at lower volume levels.
chucky7, tebling, dwaleke and 1 others like this.
post #39127 of 39207 Old 07-16-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
If you are after something very specific with treble response, you might consider an EQ system that lets you draw a target curve. Rooms will have much more variation in that department than the characteristic sound differences between JTRs and Sierra RAALs.

Couldn't agree with this more. Moving to a Dirac receiver from Audyssey made more positive difference in my room than upgrading my LCRs. My room is a particularly challenging one, so YMMV.
post #39128 of 39207 Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Unlike Klipsch, JTRs have a flat response and low distortion, so no need to worry about a stereotypical horn sound. I've heard the Sierra RAALs. They sound great and are pretty. I'd say that the JTR 3-ways have a somewhat similar character. The biggest differences are more output capability and more controlled directivity.

If you are after something very specific with treble response, you might consider an EQ system that lets you draw a target curve. Rooms will have much more variation in that department than the characteristic sound differences between JTRs and Sierra RAALs. You mainly get much more output capability and less sound bouncing off walls. The more narrow directivity is actually really nice for home theater, IMO, because you get much better dialog intelligibility at lower volume levels.
I will say that the Sierra RAAL towers are flat as hell. Smooth and silky but limited dynamics. The stereo imaging could be better. The Sierra have good mid-range, and I wonder how the JTR 210RT are in the mid-range?

Sierra RAAL Towers; everything else is going to be updated when HDMI 2.1 is reality. Everything!
post #39129 of 39207 Old 07-16-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoctor View Post
I will say that the Sierra RAAL towers are flat as hell. Smooth and silky but limited dynamics. The stereo imaging could be better. The Sierra have good mid-range, and I wonder how the JTR 210RT are in the mid-range?
I actually like the midrange better on the 3-way JTRs than the RAALs. It is among the best midranges I have ever heard - so lifelike and dynamic. There's a lot to like, but the midrange is REALLY special.

As far as silkiness goes, it depends a lot on the room and EQ. It's perhaps easier to get the silky sound out of the RAALs, and I haven't heard that in every JTR setup, but I definitely am getting it in mine (very similar to the RAALs) just with more dynamics and focus (less ambiance.) If you don't get that at the start, look into diffusion and EQ. Also, wide LR placement will widen the soundstage and contribute to more ambiance.

It sounds like you are after a very specific sound character. I second the recommendation of Dirac, in order to help hit that in your room. The main thing you kind of give up is a highly ambient sound. The JTRs are more focused. I think the focused sound is preferable for home theater, but that's a matter of taste. Dirac can't get any speaker to sound good, but if you start with a speaker with good frequency response, good off axis response, low distortion, and high output capability, it can do a lot.

As far as sound character goes, like I said, these differences will be swamped by room differences. It's fun to talk about the details, but not particularly useful, I'm afraid.

Imaging: Imaging in general is very dependent on the room and placement. My setup is nuts for imaging, since I have a symmetrical room and placement, so YMMV.
post #39130 of 39207 Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone looking for Slanted 8HTs?

From JTR Speakers FB:

4x Slanted 8HTs, priced too low to publicize.
giomania likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

Last edited by chucky7; 07-25-2019 at 09:31 AM.
post #39131 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamigym View Post
I looked on website but there is no info on these yet. From reading it looks like a few have been purchased. Can someone give me the specs on these? Is there a wall mount option on the rear of them? 2020 Noesis 110XM? Looks like there are two versions XT & XM? I'm interested I'm the XM spec?

TYIA Paul
Just got the info regarding the 2020 Noesis 110XM:

Same performance specs as 110HT,

95dB/1W (2.83V), full space, 101dB/1W (2.83v), half space,
73Hz~20kHz, half space (on a boundary) and 100Hz~20kHz, full space,
No keyhole brackets for wall mounting.

Dimensions 16" wide, 14" deep, 9.5" tall when sitting on the floor.

Hope this helps!

post #39132 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Anyone looking for Slanted 8HTs?

From JTR Speakers FB:

4x Slanted 8HTs, priced to low to publicize.
Thanks for the tip! Nabbed them,
chucky7 likes this.
post #39133 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontesea View Post
Thanks for the tip! Nabbed them,
Good job!

What are you running as your front stage?

I also considered the Single 8HTs before. Jeff told me these are very underrated.

post #39134 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
These are actually for the media room in a new house we're building. I'm in the mid-stages of upgrading my home theater speakers from some fairly vintage gear. Currently upfront I'm running Definitive Technology BP3000TLs and a C/L/R 3000 with dual Seaton F18 subs. The goal is to replace the Def Techs with JTR 210RTs and an 210RM. I'm challenged in my current set up as the speaker shelf in the AV stand fits the CLR 3000 with barely any room to spare. There's no way a 210RM or even a 228HT/R would fit inside. That said, I might try these as LCRs and if I can position them to sound OK, then I can put the Definitives up for sale and use the proceeds toward the 210s. When the new media room is completed in a year or so, these would eventually be the Atmos speakers.
chucky7 likes this.

Display - LG OLED77C8PUA
Processor – Marantz AV7005, Amps – Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, Emotiva A-700
Speakers LCR - Definitive Technology BP3000TL, C/L/R 3000, Surrounds - GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000, Atmos – GoldenEar Invisa MPX,
Bass - Seaton F18s, Crowson Shadow-8s
post #39135 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have never heard JTR Speakers I may have could off bought them over getting Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons and the horizon center With RAAL . I have had High End Klipsch and Power and sound 210 center and there 210 towers there are still in my house but not using them. I got to the point that they hurt my ears was told that they wear not like Klipsch speaker and they would be fine for me and after about 6 months they started hurting my ears .
I am sure that many don't have this problem, but i have seen many post that saying that ribbon tweeters are better for older folks that may have riming in the ear witch i have.

The Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons i can listen to all day. I would say that most speakers with out horns I would not have issues with.
I saw a post long ago saying that he runs from speakers with horns cant stand the way they sound.

The problem is horn speakers are great for filling a large room that is why so many seem to go to them i think. mine is 24 x 25 and that is why i went to trying horns to start. A lot of money wasted i guess.

Ascend, Salk audio both make good high end and low end speakers that not only sound good but look good also if that is a factor. I am sure you could find better and most have individual taste for there needs budget and the size of there room.
would be hard pressed to find better speakers for the price that ascend charges though Same with Salk Audio.
post #39136 of 39207 Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by telon175 View Post
I have never heard JTR Speakers I may have could off bought them over getting Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons and the horizon center With RAAL . I have had High End Klipsch and Power and sound 210 center and there 210 towers there are still in my house but not using them. I got to the point that they hurt my ears was told that they wear not like Klipsch speaker and they would be fine for me and after about 6 months they started hurting my ears .
I am sure that many don't have this problem, but i have seen many post that saying that ribbon tweeters are better for older folks that may have riming in the ear witch i have.

The Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons i can listen to all day. I would say that most speakers with out horns I would not have issues with.
I saw a post long ago saying that he runs from speakers with horns cant stand the way they sound.

The problem is horn speakers are great for filling a large room that is why so many seem to go to them i think. mine is 24 x 25 and that is why i went to trying horns to start. A lot of money wasted i guess.

Ascend, Salk audio both make good high end and low end speakers that not only sound good but look good also if that is a factor. I am sure you could find better and most have individual taste for there needs budget and the size of there room.
would be hard pressed to find better speakers for the price that ascend charges though Same with Salk Audio.
Horns and harshness is a myth. Just because some cheaper horn speakers sound harsh doesn't mean ones with high end components will. Many times someone can hear a horn $150 speaker with maybe a $15 compression driver and lump all into. It's one of the worst audio stereotypes ever along with $2,289 speaker cables provide better bass or 40k amps are 'silky smooth.'

Horn, wave guides do a few things but controlling the dispersion patter is one of the main duties. So a JBL M2 is like 120x60? Others are 90x60 and so on in many different configs. There are actually many soft dome tweeters that can fall badly on off axis specs after around 70 degrees. Perhaps someone else can chime in on directivity and other points. I will never leave a larger compression driver as long as I live!
post #39137 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This is a stereotype, not true. There are some spectacular horn speakers out there, like JTR and certain JBLs, and you are missing out if you haven't heard some great ones.

The pain/harshness is caused by peaky frequency response and/or distortion. Horns are a flexible tool. Some speakers use them to get the maximum SPL out of limited power and cheap components. You often find that in DJ speakers and speakers at bars and clubs. That often creates a peaky response. Great horn speakers use the horns for higher fidelity. Consistent off axis response, controlled directivity, and increased dynamics with reduced distortion. Doing this well is complex to design and requires expensive components and more complicated construction.

I have heard Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbons. They are beautiful, very nice sounding speakers, but they have limited dynamics and they lack a satisfying low end, unless you use them with subs. (I've never heard PSA speakers, so I can't comment on them.)

Anyway, you owe it to yourself to experience some great horn speakers sometime.

If you're sensitive to certain frequencies, I'd recommend getting a nice EQ system that gives you the flexibility to dial in the frequency response to suit your needs. The best approaches combine good EQ with measurements to help guide you to great results. Dirac does this very well, and I think that would help you get results you are happy with from any good speaker (including JTR.) Do avoid speakers with peaky response, like many Klipsh models. Alternately, check out the Audyssey app with newer Audyssey receiver models. Audyssey sounds more processed/less pure to me than Dirac, but I think this type of response control should be a priority for you.

Last edited by rcohen; 07-20-2019 at 06:49 AM.
post #39138 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
I agree, I actually often find sound coming out out of little one inch tweeters, far more piercing and fatiguing than out a well made decent sized horn design. Not to mention, singers and instruments often times sound shrunken in comparison. One thing about horns is that they can have 10 times the efficiency, so they just project the sound field with an ease of presentation, which also lends itself to being easy to listen to.
chucky7 likes this.
post #39139 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I agree, I actually often find sound coming out out of little one inch tweeters, far more piercing and fatiguing than out a well made decent sized horn design. Not to mention, singers and instruments often times sound shrunken in comparison. One thing about horns is that they can have 10 times the efficiency, so they just project the sound field with an ease of presentation, which also lends itself to being easy to listen to.
Yeah, dome tweeters often force a choice between rolled off high end or harsh distortion, and with limited dynamics that sound more speaker-like and less lifelike than what great horn speakers are capable of.

When someone says RAAL tweeters sound good, they're really saying a flat high frequency response without high levels of distortion sounds good. The JTR 3-way speakers have similarly flat high frequency response with LOWER distortion and much higher output capability.

From there, if you are picky (as I am), use room treatments and EQ to dial in what you want in your room.
chucky7 and Sweet Jimmy like this.
post #39140 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We could also bring the Diaphragm material used into the discussion. I won't claim to understand all of this but in my reading up on using the BEX4008 replacing the already good sounding Titanium diaphragms like used in the very cost effective 2453H-SL many use. Lots of factors involved but higher end CD's are a big deal in a speaker sounding harsh vs smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.29.10 PM.png
Views:	30
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	2592838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.29.59 PM.png
Views:	28
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	2592840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.30.08 PM.png
Views:	27
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	2592842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 1.30.16 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	2592844  
post #39141 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And the most overlooked factor always, the room. A excellent speaker in a bad setup acoustically will not sound very pleasing. Surely we have all seen the high end gear in a bare wall'd room
post #39142 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 05:11 PM

PSA speaker wear not a cheap type of horn tweeter i don't think they wear highly talked about for a long time a few years ago Now are they the same as quality as JTR i would say not. I am not putting down JTR speakers. I was talking about horn tweeters in general that i have heard. If i wanted to try JtR speakers my wife would be upset this is a room that we watch general TV listen to music in and even put the Christmas tree in. If i had a dedicated home theater room then i may want to at least give them a try. I have two 15 inch Rhythmic subs, so like when we listened to some music that had a lot of base in it you could relay tell the difference and sounded awesome it made my wife smile in fact. Hard to find a speaker that sounds good and looks good with out spending a fortune but these seem to do good.
I am sure if i spent more I could see a difference would the difference be worth the cost that is a personnel judgment from what i was told at a certain pint you don't see a big difference.

I am working on getting a Dirac live receiver, problem is i will need a laptop also I have never owned one just have the one i use from work. still waiting good affordable AVR with Dirac live that supports more than one sub with out using the 2X4 HD . All these high end AVR's like storm Audio are out of my league.
post #39143 of 39207 Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PSA speaker wear not a cheap type of horn tweeter i don't think they wear highly talked about for a long time a few years ago Now are they the same as quality as JTR i would say not. I am not putting down JTR speakers. I was talking about horn tweeters in general that i have heard. If i wanted to try JtR speakers my wife would be upset this is a room that we watch general TV listen to music in and even put the Christmas tree in. If i had a dedicated home theater room then i may want to at least give them a try. I have two 15 inch Rhythmic subs, so like when we listened to some music that had a lot of base in it you could relay tell the difference and sounded awesome it made my wife smile in fact. Hard to find a speaker that sounds good and looks good with out spending a fortune but these seem to do good.
I am sure if i spent more I could see a difference would the difference be worth the cost that is a personnel judgment from what i was told at a certain pint you don't see a big difference..
This is what the $1000 2020 Noesis 110HT looks like inside:

You can open up your PSA speakers and see for yourself...
rcohen, irishluck73 and llang269 like this.

post #39144 of 39207 Old 07-21-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
We could also bring the Diaphragm material used into the discussion. I won't claim to understand all of this but in my reading up on using the BEX4008 replacing the already good sounding Titanium diaphragms like used in the very cost effective 2453H-SL many use. Lots of factors involved but higher end CD's are a big deal in a speaker sounding harsh vs smooth.
Yes, Be tweeters, although expensive, are great for reducing distortion due to breakup. I believe the JTR coaxial compression drivers use titanium diaphragms, yet they still achieve very low distortion. They are actually very expensive parts. I guess there's more to distortion and price than the material. Perhaps Be wasn't needed due to the many differences in the design. Of course, someone is sure to say "I hate the sound of titanium diaphragms" without ever listening to them or looking at the distortion measurements.
post #39145 of 39207 Old 07-21-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am sure if i spent more I could see a difference would the difference be worth the cost that is a personnel judgment from what i was told at a certain pint you don't see a big difference.

I am working on getting a Dirac live receiver, problem is i will need a laptop also I have never owned one just have the one i use from work. still waiting good affordable AVR with Dirac live that supports more than one sub with out using the 2X4 HD . All these high end AVR's like storm Audio are out of my league.
Glad to hear you have subs. I think that would really help the Sierras get satisfying bass and tax them less in terms of output level. If output level is an issue, you could try increasing the crossover to 100-120hz.

It's hard to say whether JTRs would provide a worthwhile upgrade over the RAALs + subs. I think you are on the right track with prioritizing Dirac and considering JTRs for a dedicated theater. There's no reason to restrict JTRs to a dedicated theater other than aesthetics and cost. Certainly not fear of a harsh horn sound. As I said, that will have more to do with the room, since the sound of the JTR 3-way vs Sierra RAAL speakers are somewhat similar - below the differences between rooms.

Regarding the difference between PSA and JTR, I think they have been previously compared on AVS in shootouts and from individual user upgrades. As I recall, the PSAs have come out good, with the 3-way JTRs coming out much better. There is a substantial difference in price, though. The PSAs apparently perform above their weight class, but JTRs do use much more expensive components. It's not a very fair fight. I've never heard PSAs, though, so I can't personally contribute to that comparison.
jamiebosco likes this.
post #39146 of 39207 Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is what the $1000 2020 Noesis 110HT looks like inside:
You can open up your PSA speakers and see for yourself...
Found a PSA crossover and driver image online for comparison, although that 110HT crossover is small compared to many JTR speakers, especially the "reference" models.

Another interesting comparison is a Tekton crossover:
chucky7 and GIEGAR like this.

Last edited by rcohen; 07-21-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #39147 of 39207 Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see 4 capacitors, 3 cement resistors, 1 ferrite inductor, 1 air core inductor and a stamped frame woofer.

I see 6 capacitors, 4 cement resistors, 3 ferrite inductors, 4 air core inductors and a cast frame woofer from below...

Please correct me if I am wrong.
mcallister, irishluck73 and GIEGAR like this.

Last edited by chucky7; 07-22-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #39148 of 39207 Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 AM

I will find time to sale the PSA speakers or donate them them to Good will, they take up a lot of room.
post #39149 of 39207 Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some more JTR crossover porn a few pages back:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58136956

The crossovers in the 3-way models are quite a bit bigger and fancier, although I couldn't find any with a quick search.
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by rcohen; 07-22-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #39150 of 39207 Old 07-22-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, Be tweeters, although expensive, are great for reducing distortion due to breakup. I believe the JTR coaxial compression drivers use titanium diaphragms, yet they still achieve very low distortion. They are actually very expensive parts. I guess there's more to distortion and price than the material. Perhaps Be wasn't needed due to the many differences in the design. Of course, someone is sure to say "I hate the sound of titanium diaphragms" without ever listening to them or looking at the distortion measurements.
I think BE has widely been avoided over history due to it's immense cost. And now it's even more. I wasn't happy to discover the Materion BEX4008 had jumped from 525 a diaphragm when a few of members did builds around AVS few years ago to current 750. And I called, emailed spoke with Materion but they insist Speakerex is only place to buy and cited new tariff's as reason for cost increases. So for CDs that the cost of three 2452's plus three BEX4008 diaphragms, not cheap. Ti phragms def are really good and can be coated for more smoothness too. Not sure a BMS needs to cost what it does for Ti.
BufordTJustice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page