Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11605Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #39451 of 40374 Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 5780
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I will try that in a week or so. I am going to try to get used to their sound in this config so I can really make an informed decision on what I like better.



I am using the 600watt monoblocks for the 212HTR's. Lots of power for these babies. I have a ton of experimentation to do, especially with toe in and distance.



Greg
Your neighbors are going to love you even more! Lol
So awesome, enjoy dude!
muscles likes this.
subacabra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39452 of 40374 Old 10-18-2019, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Your neighbors are going to love you even more! Lol
So awesome, enjoy dude!
One thing I can't figure out is they don't seem to have as much bass as my Martin Logans. They might not be broken in fully, that could also be it. I just toed them in more and they really sound good now. Music is going to take some time to dial in just right for me, I am very picky. So far, for the money, these would be hard to beat. For movies, they are damn near untouchable for the price.

Greg
chucky7 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #39453 of 40374 Old 10-18-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
One thing I can't figure out is they don't seem to have as much bass as my Martin Logans. They might not be broken in fully, that could also be it. I just toed them in more and they really sound good now. Music is going to take some time to dial in just right for me, I am very picky. So far, for the money, these would be hard to beat. For movies, they are damn near untouchable for the price.

Greg
Did you use Audyssey for the Martin Logins also? Audyssey nueters the bass in my 215RT’s in 2 channel with no subs. When listening that way I turn Audyssey off and use Dirac on my Mac mini - can tailor the curve much more to my liking.
tebling and BassMojo like this.
raynist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #39454 of 40374 Old 10-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Did you use Audyssey for the Martin Logins also? Audyssey nueters the bass in my 215RT’s in 2 channel with no subs. When listening that way I turn Audyssey off and use Dirac on my Mac mini - can tailor the curve much more to my liking.
I don't listen to music with my Marantz. I use the McIntosh C2600 Pre, it has a HT bypass so I can still use the amps on the AVR. I toed them in more and they came to life more. I should just shut up until I test a bunch of things. I will say they are much easier to get sounding decent than other speakers. Out of the box you can be jamming with these pretty fast. Took me weeks to get the Logans where I wanted them.

Greg
chucky7 and BassMojo like this.

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #39455 of 40374 Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Did you use Audyssey for the Martin Logins also? Audyssey nueters the bass in my 215RT’s in 2 channel with no subs. When listening that way I turn Audyssey off and use Dirac on my Mac mini - can tailor the curve much more to my liking.


I also listen to music with ARC (Anthem) turned off as it seems to collapse that huge sweet JTR soundstage. Maybe see how you like music without room correction. YMMV.

Any cinema watching requires room correction in my house.
BassMojo is offline  
post #39456 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I also listen to music with ARC (Anthem) turned off as it seems to collapse that huge sweet JTR soundstage. Maybe see how you like music without room correction. YMMV.

Any cinema watching requires room correction in my house.
I do prefer no room correction to Audyssey for 2 ch no subs, but prefer Dirac over both for 2 ch listening.

Same as you I always use room correction for movies.
tebling and BassMojo like this.
raynist is offline  
post #39457 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,375
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I do prefer no room correction to Audyssey for 2 ch no subs, but prefer Dirac over both for 2 ch listening.



Same as you I always use room correction for movies.


I never thought of this. I’ll try turning off Aud for music.
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #39458 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
I moved the speakers to the outside as some of you suggested. I have been listening to music for the last 3 hours straight. These speakers have no damn limits, they will go as loud as you can take....and then some. These are the incredible hulk of speakers.

Movies will have to wait until tonight, neighbors are too noisy to run Audessey.

I pushed about 300watts continuous (mac meters) during a song called five more hours and it was awe inspiring. It was club level loud, but clear as day. It's been a while since something has made me giggle when there is no one around...these things are like a really fast car, when you floor it you have to giggle.

Also, these have the biggest damn soundstage I have ever auditioned in this room. It sounds like my center is on when listening to 2 channel (center isnt hooked up through my Mac before you think its a mode).

So far these speakers have exceeded my expectations, I am impressed JTR.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2629504  
chucky7, srw1000, shivaji and 15 others like this.

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #39459 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 5780
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I moved the speakers to the outside as some of you suggested. I have been listening to music for the last 3 hours straight. These speakers have no damn limits, they will go as loud as you can take....and then some. These are the incredible hulk of speakers.



Movies will have to wait until tonight, neighbors are too noisy to run Audessey.



I pushed about 300watts continuous (mac meters) during a song called five more hours and it was awe inspiring. It was club level loud, but clear as day. It's been a while since something has made me giggle when there is no one around...these things are like a really fast car, when you floor it you have to giggle.



Also, these have the biggest damn soundstage I have ever auditioned in this room. It sounds like my center is on when listening to 2 channel (center isnt hooked up through my Mac before you think its a mode).



So far these speakers have exceeded my expectations, I am impressed JTR.



Greg
That looks even better! Maybe some YouTube videos when time permits?
ScottieBoysName and muscles like this.
subacabra is offline  
post #39460 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I moved the speakers to the outside as some of you suggested. I have been listening to music for the last 3 hours straight. These speakers have no damn limits, they will go as loud as you can take....and then some. These are the incredible hulk of speakers.

Movies will have to wait until tonight, neighbors are too noisy to run Audessey.

I pushed about 300watts continuous (mac meters) during a song called five more hours and it was awe inspiring. It was club level loud, but clear as day. It's been a while since something has made me giggle when there is no one around...these things are like a really fast car, when you floor it you have to giggle.

Also, these have the biggest damn soundstage I have ever auditioned in this room. It sounds like my center is on when listening to 2 channel (center isnt hooked up through my Mac before you think its a mode).

So far these speakers have exceeded my expectations, I am impressed JTR.

Greg
That looks great!

300w? That is like 125-128db - better watch your hearing!
raynist is offline  
post #39461 of 40374 Old 10-19-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
That looks great!

300w? That is like 125-128db - better watch your hearing!
Yeah, I had to take a break and go to In n Out and just chill in silence for a while. John Wick 2 tunnel scene was like 2x as loud or more as my Martin Logans. Buddy came over tonight and was totally blown away. He was like "gunshots...are as loud, as well...gunshots!"

Having a good time with these JTR's for sure. Going to put the ML's online tomorrow for sale, these are too much fun to get rid of.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #39462 of 40374 Old 10-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Member
 
umjs78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi,

I'm looking for new lcr to upgrade my revel performa f206 (yes 206 not 208) and c205 (there's no c206, c205 is matching center for f206)
Im pretty much leaning toward jtr but just want to hear anyone who from revel to jtr.
How's speaker character compare to revel?
Is it really an upgrade from f206,c205 to (3) 228ht (2 way) / (3) 212ht (2 way) or should I go 210rt, 210rm?
My room size is 17(w)x32(d)x7.5(h)
mlp is 13' from center of front wall.
rear speaker is about 4' behind of mlp and rest of back area is empty. (there was game tv set up but they are gone now)

Thank you,
umjs78 is offline  
post #39463 of 40374 Old 10-23-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 5,157
Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3924 Post(s)
Liked: 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjs78 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for new lcr to upgrade my revel performa f206 (yes 206 not 208) and c205 (there's no c206, c205 is matching center for f206)
Im pretty much leaning toward jtr but just want to hear anyone who from revel to jtr.
How's speaker character compare to revel?
Is it really an upgrade from f206,c205 to (3) 228ht (2 way) / (3) 212ht (2 way) or should I go 210rt, 210rm?
My room size is 17(w)x32(d)x7.5(h)
mlp is 13' from center of front wall.
rear speaker is about 4' behind of mlp and rest of back area is empty. (there was game tv set up but they are gone now)

Thank you,
I think the surest way for you to find out is to listen to both of them in your room. JTR Speakers has the standard 30 day home trial. You are on the hook for the shipping both ways.

Now, I have not heard the Revel Performa F206s, or that many speakers for that matter. I do know this: CGS (cost of goods sold) for brand speakers is usually at less than 30%. I opened up my 212HT and found ~$1000 worth of compression driver and woofers. There are high end resisters/capacitors/inductors on the crossover network. I looked one up and it costs $76. Basically it would have cost me around the same just to buy all the parts. This means that a 'B&W' 212HT would have been priced at 2 to 3 times higher.

Then high end speakers are priced at how much the brand believes the consumers are willing to pay for the sound.

If you watch those videos of high end audio factory tour, you will notice that so much is focused on how labor intensive the speaker cabinets are. In going with JTR speakers, you are not paying for the fancy cabinetry with furniture grade finish that may not contribute to the sound quality. When you close your eyes, that's exactly what you get from these JTR Speakers - nothing but ultra low distortion, superb imaging, and wide soundstage at any listening volume.

Just my two cents.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

Last edited by chucky7; 10-23-2019 at 07:53 AM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #39464 of 40374 Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,805
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjs78 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for new lcr to upgrade my revel performa f206 (yes 206 not 208) and c205 (there's no c206, c205 is matching center for f206)
Im pretty much leaning toward jtr but just want to hear anyone who from revel to jtr.
How's speaker character compare to revel?
Is it really an upgrade from f206,c205 to (3) 228ht (2 way) / (3) 212ht (2 way) or should I go 210rt, 210rm?
My room size is 17(w)x32(d)x7.5(h)
mlp is 13' from center of front wall.
rear speaker is about 4' behind of mlp and rest of back area is empty. (there was game tv set up but they are gone now)

Thank you,
Chucky makes excellent points as usual, but I will add that the type of sound you will get from your current setup and what you'll get with a JTR speaker will be vastly different. The Revel's are amazing speakers and very well designed, but they incorporate a completely different style of design. With the Revels, you have a dome tweeter which will spray HF energy all over the room and create a much more "ambient" sound to the overall presentation. The JTR lineup on the other hand is like a razor blade. Precision, pinpoint presentation, with barely any room interaction when set up properly. Massive dynamics and clarity at any sane (and even insane to many) level. It most certainly would behoove you to try both out in a familiar setting before you decide to pull the trigger however. FWIW I am a huge fan of revel... and of JTR obviously, but if it were up to me I'd leave the Revels to stereo/music listening and let the JTR's handle movies, so your overall content will also depend largely on the decision you are trying to make.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #39465 of 40374 Old 10-23-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
With the Revels, you have a dome tweeter which will spray HF energy all over the room and create a much more "ambient" sound to the overall presentation. The JTR lineup on the other hand is like a razor blade. Precision, pinpoint presentation, with barely any room interaction when set up properly. Massive dynamics and clarity at any sane (and even insane to many) level.
I've read this description several times and I always come away with the same question. Does this then mean that the JTR's (or other similarly designed speakers) will have less of a soundstage than speakers with a dome tweeter? Are the JTR's "head in a vise" for optimal imaging, or do they still provide a broad soundstage for music and movies? I owned M&K S150THX speakers back in the day, which were great, but you had to sit in the sweet spot to get the full "effect" of what they could do. Are JTR's similar?
bambam is offline  
post #39466 of 40374 Old 10-23-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,805
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
I've read this description several times and I always come away with the same question. Does this then mean that the JTR's (or other similarly designed speakers) will have less of a soundstage than speakers with a dome tweeter? Are the JTR's "head in a vise" for optimal imaging, or do they still provide a broad soundstage for music and movies? I owned M&K S150THX speakers back in the day, which were great, but you had to sit in the sweet spot to get the full "effect" of what they could do. Are JTR's similar?
It depends on your objectives, but no, they don't require your head in a vice. This can be accomplished with certain amounts of toe-in but can also be alleviated by toeing in past the listening position to accomplish a very wide soundstage, perhaps even wider than a dome tweeter can do. What the JTR's DONT do is interact with the room as much, so you don't have as ambient of a sound....whether you prefer this ambiance is entirely up to you and your own personal preferences, but it doesn;t necessarily translate to the actual "Soundstage" unless you position the speakers specifically to accomplish such a thing.
bambam likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #39467 of 40374 Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,419
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by umjs78 View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for new lcr to upgrade my revel performa f206 (yes 206 not 208) and c205 (there's no c206, c205 is matching center for f206)
Im pretty much leaning toward jtr but just want to hear anyone who from revel to jtr.
How's speaker character compare to revel?
Is it really an upgrade from f206,c205 to (3) 228ht (2 way) / (3) 212ht (2 way) or should I go 210rt, 210rm?
My room size is 17(w)x32(d)x7.5(h)
mlp is 13' from center of front wall.
rear speaker is about 4' behind of mlp and rest of back area is empty. (there was game tv set up but they are gone now)

Thank you,
RMK! did.

I hope he drops in to share his thoughts but in case he doesn't, here's a post from a couple of years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acommonsoul View Post
a question for everyone that owns the 212s or 228s....how is the soundstage and imaging of these speakers? I was originally considering the Focal Electra series for my HT, but i stumbled across JTR in my search for a quality subwoofer, which has led me to considering the JTRs for all my speakers. I worry about the sound quality, soundstage and imaging, due to the fact that I cannot demo them anywhere first. Any advice would help.
Back in the day, I wanted a mini IMAX Theater at home and had worked my way up the audiophile speaker chain demoing everything (including Focal) before ending up with Revel Ultima II Studio and Voice along with Quad JL Audio Fathom subs. That's $30K alone for the front stage and subs. They sounded very good (actually excellent) at normal movie listening levels but if I wanted things to get a bit livelier, the Revels would get harsh and the JL's would start making odd sounds.

With that kind of investment I expected more as I had read so many reviews that talked about limitless dynamics and yet it seemed far to easy to find the limits in my moderate sized room (3600cf). Then a local to me AVS Forum member who had a similar setup and issues with very nice Aerial Acoustics speakers contacted me. He had just purchased the early 2009 JTR Triple 12's for LCR (approx $1200/ea) and he said "you have to hear these speakers". I paid him a visit and he demoed the T12's using both music and movies and I was stunned at the sound quality and dynamics capabilities of these "inexpensive speakers". Granted they were ugly (I prefer industrial looking ) but they were going into a dedicated room and I was more about performance than looks so I bought 3 of them. After installing them and living with them for a week I sold the Revels and never looked back.

Since then, I added JTR surrounds and subs plus upgraded the JTR LCR's twice each time getting slightly better sound quality without giving up the amazing dynamic capability. I have run these speakers at insane levels for demos and the occasional I want concert level sound days but mostly I listen to music and watch movies well below reference levels. The sound quality is as good as any system I have heard and the dialog intelligibility which is so crucial with movies is second to none. I'm sure there are other products that can do this but I have found exactly what I was looking for in a loudspeaker and have no reason to want to change. These speakers allowed me to achieve IMAX (or better) level audio at home. YMMV

BTW, my apologies to those who have heard this story before, at least it get a little shorter in the telling each time ...
GIEGAR is offline  
post #39468 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,694
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
RMK! did.

I hope he drops in to share his thoughts but in case he doesn't, here's a post from a couple of years ago:
Well, neither my speakers (now have 215RT's) nor thoughts have changed in last few years. Thanks to Jeff, I was finally cured of my quixotic quest for IMAX at home and have redirected the energy and resources to golf.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #39469 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,805
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Well, neither my speakers (now have 215RT's) nor thoughts have changed in last few years. Thanks to Jeff, I was finally cured of my quixotic quest for IMAX at home and have redirected the energy and resources to golf.
So how is that going for you buddy? I have my big annual golf trip coming up next weekend and just had my HC revised down to a 2 for the first time in history. Needless to say I need it to revise back up a shade or I'm gonna get zero help here in 7 days... Hope you are hitting em straight It's funny how people vacate from the threads for the most part once they get to their ultimate happy place. I know I have certainly scaled back, but still enjoy the reads so I stick around

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #39470 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So how is that going for you buddy? I have my big annual golf trip coming up next weekend and just had my HC revised down to a 2 for the first time in history. Needless to say I need it to revise back up a shade or I'm gonna get zero help here in 7 days... Hope you are hitting em straight It's funny how people vacate from the threads for the most part once they get to their ultimate happy place. I know I have certainly scaled back, but still enjoy the reads so I stick around
I wish I could just buy a swing like you can with audio gear.

Where’s the big trip to B??
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #39471 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,805
Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5809 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
I wish I could just buy a swing like you can with audio gear.

Where’s the big trip to B??
Haha, yea that'd be nice wouldn't it? Headed down to dirty Myrtle, the southeastern golfing mecca.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #39472 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
edoggrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 1,579
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Haha, yea that'd be nice wouldn't it? Headed down to dirty Myrtle, the southeastern golfing mecca.
Very nice dude! Have a good time & hit’em good.
edoggrc51 is offline  
post #39473 of 40374 Old 10-24-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,694
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
So how is that going for you buddy? I have my big annual golf trip coming up next weekend and just had my HC revised down to a 2 for the first time in history. Needless to say I need it to revise back up a shade or I'm gonna get zero help here in 7 days... Hope you are hitting em straight It's funny how people vacate from the threads for the most part once they get to their ultimate happy place. I know I have certainly scaled back, but still enjoy the reads so I stick around
Good to hear from you my friend. 2 index ... yikes you really are a beast. I'm old and have had to move up a tee box to help keep the index in the 5-7 range. Despite playing a lot more, the body just won't do what it used to.

As for AV, I got tired of the trolling and found myself pissed off to many times (my snarky comments didn't help ). In any case I decided it's not worth the aggravation so I only visit occasionally. Been trying to arrange a 215 demo for someone hence my most current activity.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #39474 of 40374 Old 10-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Thinking of joining the JTR family

Hey guys!

Sorry this is so long winded. Many of you have prob seen me post about HT speakers - I was running a full ML system, with ESL speakers (Ethos) as main LR. After 2 years, I decided I wanted something new. The problem was (is), I have their huge center, and didn't want to have to switch my entire front stage. I was going to blind buy JTR or PSA a few months back, but got an absolute steal on some Impression 11A's. I'm a sucker, and I love the sound of ELSs.

The problem...I'm 90% HT usage - big action movies and gaming. I've been realizing that even though these speakers have powered woofers, they aren't ideal for HT usage. I currently use a Rythmik G25 sub, so I have enough thump. I'm in a living room w/ a few openings, but the main issue is that I live in a duplex w/ shared walls - the neighbors feel the bass, but don't really hear the volume of speakers.

Long story short, I've been considering switching to JTR and going w/ 212 for LR and figuring out the center. My buddy @muscles did the same thing recently, and his reviews have been insane. For him its been a huge difference, but frankly, we listen/game at much different levels haha

I normally don't listen much louder than -20 MV, but that's also because I'm usually running the Rythmik. If I turned that off, I'm sure I could/would go louder. SO - at my listening levels, would I notice a big upgrade going to JTR? When I finally move, I am hoping these would be endgame speakers, so I dont mind doing it sooner rather than later. I'm guessing the biggest difference is when I would hit reference (or close to it), but at like -20 or so, would the difference even be noticeable? Logan ESLs are so open and clear, but from everything I've read, JTR can go much louder, with no distortion. Would love all your input, I have been lurking on this forum for months. Had I not gotten such a deal on the 11A, I likely would have bought these months ago and been less frustrated. If only Greg hadn't gotten his earlier! (I'm going to demo them Friday)

Oh, Using Marantz 8805 + Krell as pre/pro and power combo. TIA
chucky7 likes this.
Ethos4Lyfe is online now  
post #39475 of 40374 Old 10-26-2019, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
I'm going to demo them Friday


Buckle your seat belt, you’re in for an amazing ride.
muscles likes this.
BassMojo is offline  
post #39476 of 40374 Old 10-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Buckle your seat belt, you’re in for an amazing ride.
haha! that's what i keep hearing...so, for 90% HT usage (action movies/games), will I notice a difference at normal/moderate listening levels? with my shared walls, i never go too loud but could just turn down the rythmik and crank MV. im just curious if it will be significant below reference. thanks!

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
Ethos4Lyfe is online now  
post #39477 of 40374 Old 10-27-2019, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
haha! that's what i keep hearing...so, for 90% HT usage (action movies/games), will I notice a difference at normal/moderate listening levels? with my shared walls, i never go too loud but could just turn down the rythmik and crank MV. im just curious if it will be significant below reference. thanks!
Absolutely! The details and dynamics are most likely like nothing you have ever heard. The JTRs sound amazing at low to moderate levels and can be pushed to ear-bleeding levels if wanted without distortion or break up. I listen to my set up mostly at low to moderate volumes to preserve my hearing and if I push it too much, it makes my kids cry. LOL.
BassMojo is offline  
post #39478 of 40374 Old 10-27-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 579
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Absolutely! The details and dynamics are most likely like nothing you have ever heard. The JTRs sound amazing at low to moderate levels and can be pushed to ear-bleeding levels if wanted without distortion or break up. I listen to my set up mostly at low to moderate volumes to preserve my hearing and if I push it too much, it makes my kids cry. LOL.
Perfect, exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I watched Dark Phoenix at -20 last night, which isn't super loud..with some content, I'm totally happy at that level. But this had nothing. Very weak sounding. made me crave more!
BassMojo likes this.

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
Ethos4Lyfe is online now  
post #39479 of 40374 Old 10-28-2019, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 1558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
Perfect, exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I watched Dark Phoenix at -20 last night, which isn't super loud..with some content, I'm totally happy at that level. But this had nothing. Very weak sounding. made me crave more!

I have broken them in now for that past week or 2. I have listened to them at all volumes. I still have to get the toe in absolutely perfect, its really good right now though.



I have found a weakness in the JTR 212RT, it doesn't play piano, piano/jazz that well. The way it recreates piano doesn't sound any where near as good as the Martin Logans. That being said it makes up ground on Heavy Metal, Rap, EDM, Rock, etc. Played some of the new Call Of Duty Modern Warfare on it, and to say it made the game way more immersive is an understatement. Gun shots have a slap to them that you can now feel all over the room. I found myself just holding the trigger down so I could hear the gun fire.



These speakers are probably one of the least expensive upgrades I have done that have definitely yielded the highest fun factor. I would have been just as happy if I had spent double on them.



Greg

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #39480 of 40374 Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: CSRA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi everyone, I'm new to the JTR world so go easy on me. I'm in the planning process for a new home theater at a new house I'm having built. I want to talk speakers. JTR is very new to me, I've only started reading up on them as of a few days ago. I originally had about $4,500 allocated for my front LCR speakers. Now I've come across the JTR line up and am very intrigued by what I see. I'm considering getting 2x 210RT for L & R and getting a third for my center channel as my budget allows.

My room is 26'x21'x9' and is a walk-out basement. I am planning to do a "proper" build with clips/hat channels to decouple the room. The front speakers will be placed behind an AT screen along with the subs; I have already pre-ordered 2x PSA V3612 subs. The system will be used for 95% movie watching.

If anyone could speak to the different models JTR offers and what might work best in my setup I'd greatly appreciate it since I have no experience with them. Also could someone tell me what the differences are between their 3-way vs 2-way speakers? I'm not familiar with this.

Lastly, what surrounds do you recommend to go with the 210RT's? I see they have the 110HT coming out soon but at 1k a piece that hurts the wallet. I plan on doing a 7.2.4 setup as far as surrounds go.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by David Wong; 10-28-2019 at 07:12 AM.
David Wong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off