Official JTR speaker thread - Page 1327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11675Likes

post #39781 of 40406 Old 02-22-2020, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
I've been working on a new room for a while now, and I've finally got to the stage where there's some JTR content to look at. Have a look at the latest post in my build thread, where I've hung a monster pair of 110HT-SLs to the ceiling!

My arms are still sore...

I know the feeling. My shoulders were sore for a couple days.

My parents offered to drive down to help me hang them, but I *foolishly* turned down the offer. "They're only 30lbs, it should be easy".

My initials screws were slightly too close together, which left me holding those things out and above my body for significant time trying to get them to land on the screws.

Well worth the effort, though. I've been watching a movie every night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7790.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	855.2 KB
ID:	2688574  
chucky7, tebling, rhed and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39782 of 40406 Old 02-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
Well worth the effort, though. I've been watching a movie every night.
Glad I'm not the only one!

Love the look of those panels!

Last edited by tebling; 02-22-2020 at 07:06 PM.
post #39783 of 40406 Old 02-23-2020, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi .
I'm thinking about up grading from what I have to the 215RT JTR or the La Scala AL5, pretty close to the same cost.
My theater is 17x28, Bass traps in corners and absorption panels 25% up the walls. I have atmos set up and I have an anthem AVM60 and anthem amplifiers.
For sub-woofers I one S2 and two 118HT JTR's so bass will not be an issue.

I'm 59 years old just had my hearing checked and I have lost a lot of my high end frequency's and have tinnitus. This is one of the reasons to upgrade so I'm
okay if these choices are a little bright. I can't demo either one so I'm looking for some direction from someone who has heard both speakers. I listen to all types
of music and watch all types of movies. Probably 80% movies but when I do listen to music I want the clearest audiophile sound I can get. I never go over 95 db
so I'm not concerned how loud each speaker plays I just want the clearest cleanest sound between the two speakers. Also if someone has other suggestions under

$15,000.00 for LCR I would love to hear their opinion. Thanks for all your help.
mcallister and yosh7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39784 of 40406 Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM
J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 109
JTR 's are not bright and don't have the "horn" sound of a Klipsch . ( I haven't heard the La Scala AL5 though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadz41 View Post
Hi .
I'm thinking about up grading from what I have to the 215RT JTR or the La Scala AL5, pretty close to the same cost.
My theater is 17x28, Bass traps in corners and absorption panels 25% up the walls. I have atmos set up and I have an anthem AVM60 and anthem amplifiers.

I'm 59 years old just had my hearing checked and I have lost a lot of my high end frequency's and have tinnitus. This is one of the reasons to upgrade so I'm
okay if these choices are a little bright. I can't demo either one so I'm looking for some direction from someone who has heard both speakers. I listen to all types
of music and watch all types of movies. Probably 80% movies but when I do listen to music I want the clearest audiophile sound I can get. I never go over 95 db
so I'm not concerned how loud each speaker plays I just want the clearest cleanest sound between the two speakers. Also if someone has other suggestions under

$15,000.00 for LCR I would love to hear their opinion. Thanks for all your help.

Samsung 55 inch lcd Marantz sr5400
Parasound HCA 1500 Parasound HCA 1000
JTR OS LFU (2013)
JTR OS LFU (2016)
Paradigm studio 40's -fronts Paradigm CC Paradigm atoms -rear
post #39785 of 40406 Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadz41 View Post
Hi .

A few thoughts...

So sorry about the hearing. I too have terrible tinnitus and hearing loss. I wear phonak marvels and they help tremendously but the ringing is constant. I had Definitive BP7000 BI polar speakers. Very diffuse and lots of reflections. I too decided going with a direct dispersion super accurate speaker would really help with my condition. Went with the JTR 215 RT’s.

I can tell you that the JTR’s are not bright and sound much smoother than the definitives. The biggest difference is the accuracy and detail. Even with my awful hearing I hear details in music I have not heard even when my hearing was perfect. On top of that they have a VERY wide soundstage. Oh and just no fatigue. With my sensitive ears I had not listened to music as much for years. I am back to listing as often as I can. The Definitives were 91 dB sensitive but really required volume/power to sound their best. Even though the JTR’s can get ridiculously loud at 95db sensitivity, I find myself enjoying them much more than any previous speakers I have had in the room at much lower volume levels. Just a tremendously huge upgrade.

Another note. Prior to upgrading the speakers, I spent a ton of time making acoustical treatments for the room. Unwanted reflections and echo can sound 1000 times worse with our hearing issues. Can be all out confusing and just ruin music and movies without controlled sound. You want to cut down on unwanted reflections as much as possible. I designed my room acoustical treatments after listening to the Anthony Grimani (MSR acoustics) Home Theater Geeks YouTube videos. There are 2 and very worth the time investment. I have about 20-30% of my walls covered with 4” ecose absorption panels and about 20-30% with fiberglass 180 degree diffusion panels. This made a huge difference in controlling the sound in my room without making it sound dead. Oh, and I have 6-8” bass traps in corners and along the wall/floor junctions and some ceiling/wall junctions. I did not want to kill reflections, just control them. Makes a huge difference in overall surround directivity AND bass quality.

Good luck with your hearing and your upgrades!
chucky7 and pitchcut29 like this.
post #39786 of 40406 Old 02-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Arriving tomorrow. Finally!

After 5 weeks of waiting, looks like my new 5 channel setup will arrive tomorrow. Jeff was kind enough to tinker w/ my 212s before shipping, as he wanted to get the crossover sounding even better. So, the extra week was def. worth the wait.

Also, I had been using a wireless kit for my rear speakers for 4 years...terrible I know, but I rent a duplex and have wood floors, so its a pain. I bought a bunch of wire channels and a pvc cutter, and cut pieces to aroudn two door frames and along the base boards. Went through 100+ feet of speaker wire, but so worth it. I wanted to make this sound as perfect as possible - the kit was causing low white noise, as well as signal delay, so now was the time. I'll have : 212RTs, 210RM and 110HTs for the rears. Still running my Rythmik sub, which don't think I'll abandon anytime soon.

Will post pics once I get it up and running.....praying for no delays!
chucky7, tebling, labman1 and 2 others like this.

Speakers: JTR 212RTs - JTR 210RM - JTR 110HTs (x4)
Subwoofer: Dual Rythmik G25HPSE
Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
TV: LG 65 OLED
Bedroom: ML Ethos - ML Motion 30 - Samsung Q8 LED
post #39787 of 40406 Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
After 5 weeks of waiting, looks like my new 5 channel setup will arrive tomorrow. Jeff was kind enough to tinker w/ my 212s before shipping, as he wanted to get the crossover sounding even better. So, the extra week was def. worth the wait.

Also, I had been using a wireless kit for my rear speakers for 4 years...terrible I know, but I rent a duplex and have wood floors, so its a pain. I bought a bunch of wire channels and a pvc cutter, and cut pieces to aroudn two door frames and along the base boards. Went through 100+ feet of speaker wire, but so worth it. I wanted to make this sound as perfect as possible - the kit was causing low white noise, as well as signal delay, so now was the time. I'll have : 212RTs, 210RM and 110HTs for the rears. Still running my Rythmik sub, which don't think I'll abandon anytime soon.

Will post pics once I get it up and running.....praying for no delays!
Congratulations. I am in the same boat, have 210rts and a 210rm for center and 110ht for surrounds shipping next week can not wait to hear them! Like a kid on Christmas morning.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
muscles likes this.
post #39788 of 40406 Old 02-25-2020, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
The volt 8’s will be perfectly fine, they are just as efficient as the 210’s. I use volt 8’s with 215RT’s and 212HTR’s. They keep up fine up to reference and above.
Raynist broke weak and ordered the 110ht's today.

post #39789 of 40406 Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by labman1 View Post
Congratulations. I am in the same boat, have 210rts and a 210rm for center and 110ht for surrounds shipping next week can not wait to hear them! Like a kid on Christmas morning.

Just finished setting up that exact same 5.1 setup
post #39790 of 40406 Old 02-25-2020, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked: 5593
Quote:
Stop you guys...

I'm not known to be particularly strong...
iamsabit313 likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

Last edited by chucky7; 03-04-2020 at 06:35 AM.
post #39791 of 40406 Old 02-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

They're home!

So...this was exhausting. After waiting all day and getting them in the house I realize the binding posts are too fat for the spades I have on my StraightWire cables. So I pulled everything out and disconnected the front 3 cables - they have bananas on the other ends...so, push everything back line everything up, and fire it up...no sound from left speaker. I check everything, unplug and plug in 3x and can't figure it out. So then I had to head to the office and just sit there angrily for 4 hours...I came home and swapped speakers to find out the issue is the cable. Its def. working, it was on my Logans this morning. I think maybe the spade just wasn't connecting properly or the wire got loose, etc...Either way, finally hook up the front 3...and wow...just blown away. At -23 (lower than I used to listen), my room has more sound and detail and bass than ever before. I ran strictly 2 channel, and heard more bass than ever by far. I can't wait to calibrate this week and connect the rears. Pic below shows them in their new environment - I know the spacing isn't ideal, but hey, its still much better than it was w/ the Logans!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	827.4 KB
ID:	2690332  
giomania, chucky7, tebling and 6 others like this.

Audio Gear: Marantz 8805 - Krell Chorus 5200 + D-Sonic M3a-800S - BS Node 2i - Oppo 203
post #39792 of 40406 Old 02-26-2020, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I either woke up with a cleaver idea, or chances are, a dumb one.

The back story, I eventually want a dedicated HT room with JTRs.

I am currently adding a sub to my family room, and have it picked out and ready to buy, then came this crazy idea. I have been wanting a JTR speaker really bad. One that will eventually become one of the L/R in my HT room. But what am I going to do with just one speaker at the moment?

Is this super dumb or dumb enough to work? Get a JTR speaker and temporarily use it for sub duty while I save up for its eventual L/R mate? Is it technically possible (maybe with some sort of connector?) to even do this? I realize, even if possible, it won’t do what a sub will do, but since it is temporary and gives me one piece of a set up I have been really wanting, it might be worth it to me. Crazy, clever and do-able, or dumbest question ever asked here?
post #39793 of 40406 Old 02-26-2020, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
Just finished setting up that exact same 5.1 setup
Thoughts so far?
post #39794 of 40406 Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Watched A Star is Born last night and was blown away with how good the 110HT's sounded! Had it cranked up to -10 and the wife and I loved every minute of it!

Jeff makes magic happen in those "little" black boxes.
giomania, chucky7, tebling and 3 others like this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F; JTR 110HT, 8HT, Captivator 1400; JBL SP8CII (Atmos); Denon X4200W; Outlaw 2200; Sony X800M2; ATV4K
post #39795 of 40406 Old 02-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So...this was exhausting. After waiting all day and getting them in the house I realize the binding posts are too fat for the spades I have on my StraightWire cables. So I pulled everything out and disconnected the front 3 cables - they have bananas on the other ends...so, push everything back line everything up, and fire it up...no sound from left speaker. I check everything, unplug and plug in 3x and can't figure it out. So then I had to head to the office and just sit there angrily for 4 hours...I came home and swapped speakers to find out the issue is the cable. Its def. working, it was on my Logans this morning. I think maybe the spade just wasn't connecting properly or the wire got loose, etc...Either way, finally hook up the front 3...and wow...just blown away. At -23 (lower than I used to listen), my room has more sound and detail and bass than ever before. I ran strictly 2 channel, and heard more bass than ever by far. I can't wait to calibrate this week and connect the rears. Pic below shows them in their new environment - I know the spacing isn't ideal, but hey, its still much better than it was w/ the Logans!
Wanted to get some opinions on the thread - ran Audyssey 2x and each time, it put all 3 front speakers at -12 for levels. @muscles says I probably have a bad mic. I called Marantz and they're gonna ship me a new one - any other thoughts or ideas of what it could be? When I did a manual test, the numbers were different - I'm at work now, don't have the exact levels. But it wasn't -12. What else could possibly cause this? TIA.

However - they sound pretty unreal...they need to be tweaked a lot I'm sure, but already a ton of bass response and they go looouuuuuud
chucky7 likes this.

post #39796 of 40406 Old 02-27-2020, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I either woke up with a cleaver idea, or chances are, a dumb one.

The back story, I eventually want a dedicated HT room with JTRs.

I am currently adding a sub to my family room, and have it picked out and ready to buy, then came this crazy idea. I have been wanting a JTR speaker really bad. One that will eventually become one of the L/R in my HT room. But what am I going to do with just one speaker at the moment?

Is this super dumb or dumb enough to work? Get a JTR speaker and temporarily use it for sub duty while I save up for its eventual L/R mate? Is it technically possible (maybe with some sort of connector?) to even do this? I realize, even if possible, it won’t do what a sub will do, but since it is temporary and gives me one piece of a set up I have been really wanting, it might be worth it to me. Crazy, clever and do-able, or dumbest question ever asked here?
The only ones that you could do that with are one of the JTR 215 RT or RM’s as they can get down to the teens (RT for sure, RM room dependent) but you would need an amp to get the most out of them.
wnydel2 likes this.

Last edited by raynist; 02-27-2020 at 05:43 PM.
post #39797 of 40406 Old 02-27-2020, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I doubt you will be disappointed.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #39798 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess this is what ear ringing sounds like...

A Quiet Place: Now Hear This scene:

A Quite Place: Grain Bin scene:

Just great dynamics beautifully executed by the JTR Speakers.
wilfredent and richard12511 like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
post #39799 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Wanted to get some opinions on the thread - ran Audyssey 2x and each time, it put all 3 front speakers at -12 for levels. @muscles says I probably have a bad mic. I called Marantz and they're gonna ship me a new one - any other thoughts or ideas of what it could be? When I did a manual test, the numbers were different - I'm at work now, don't have the exact levels. But it wasn't -12. What else could possibly cause this? TIA.

However - they sound pretty unreal...they need to be tweaked a lot I'm sure, but already a ton of bass response and they go looouuuuuud
Ever figure this out? Are they just being powered by a receiver? If that’s the case and your new mic still only calibrates to -12 you may need to get an In-line attenuator of some type. The efficiency of the speakers may be causing issue.

post #39800 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
Ever figure this out? Are they just being powered by a receiver? If that’s the case and your new mic still only calibrates to -12 you may need to get an In-line attenuator of some type. The efficiency of the speakers may be causing issue.
^^^^^

@Ethos4Lyfe

I have a denon x4400 receiver and I only sit about 10 feet from my 212HTR’s in my living room and Audyssey set all 3 at -12 on my AVR. These speakers are just so efficient that Audyssey cannot set them low enough.

What you can do is let Audyssey do its thing and then measure the LCR with an spl meter. Find which speaker is the highest level and then set all of the other speakers to that level. Let’s say your right speaker measures at 77db. Set all other speakers to 77db. Now your reference level would actually be -2 on the receiver.
drh3b likes this.
post #39801 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
^^^^^

@Ethos4Lyfe

I have a denon x4400 receiver and I only sit about 10 feet from my 212HTR’s in my living room and Audyssey set all 3 at -12 on my AVR. These speakers are just so efficient that Audyssey cannot set them low enough.

What you can do is let Audyssey do its thing and then measure the LCR with an spl meter. Find which speaker is the highest level and then set all of the other speakers to that level. Let’s say your right speaker measures at 77db. Set all other speakers to 77db. Now your reference level would actually be -2 on the receiver.

Its weird because I have a Marantz SR-8012 and it sets my levels at like -4, -3.5, -5 LCR. I sit about 10 feet or so maybe a touch closer and I have a ton more power running to them. Weird why Audyssey is inconsistent? I always double check with an SPL meter at reference and adjust to my liking. I wonder why the discrepancy.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #39802 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Its weird because I have a Marantz SR-8012 and it sets my levels at like -4, -3.5, -5 LCR. I sit about 10 feet or so maybe a touch closer and I have a ton more power running to them. Weird why Audyssey is inconsistent? I always double check with an SPL meter at reference and adjust to my liking. I wonder why the discrepancy.

Greg
Do you have gain dials or switches on your amps?
mcallister likes this.
post #39803 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^^^^^

@Ethos4Lyfe

I'm using a Krell 5200 for power, which isn't adjustable. I guess its just the efficiency of them? I sit kinda close, but still they're just so efficient. Chucky was here for a while yesterday and we ended up leaving the L/R at -12 and bumping the center and surrounds a few dbs to match. Crazy, I really didn't expect it!
chucky7 likes this.

post #39804 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
Quote:
Do you have gain dials or switches on your amps?
Nope, just different binding posts for 2, 4 and 8ohm.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra (bedroom)
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #39805 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using a Krell 5200 for power, which isn't adjustable. I guess its just the efficiency of them? I sit kinda close, but still they're just so efficient. Chucky was here for a while yesterday and we ended up leaving the L/R at -12 and bumping the center and surrounds a few dbs to match. Crazy, I really didn't expect it!
You can still level match all speakers (mains/surrounds) to the loudest speaker and should be good to go. Just remember reference actually be higher than reference.
post #39806 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Nope, just different binding posts for 2, 4 and 8ohm.

Greg
I think different amps have different gain structures so you lucked out!
drh3b likes this.
post #39807 of 40406 Old 03-01-2020, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can still level match all speakers (mains/surrounds) to the loudest speaker and should be good to go. Just remember reference actually be higher than reference.
yeah, did it w/ Chucky last night - my mains are all good to go...dear god these are the best surrounds I've heard by far! Now my sub is a whole different issue
chucky7 and Jeff Permanian like this.

post #39808 of 40406 Old 03-02-2020, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
I noticed the foam plug in the horn. All was right with the world when I removed these protective gremlins.

I am coming from Definitive BP 7000’s. Underrated speakers that can handle 1000 watts and have a huge soundstage. Compared to the definitives - well there is just so much more detail and instrument separation.

I am noticing mid bass/bass in my chest that I have not felt before. .

Hi, I got a couple of 212RTs 3 months ago, that plug got me too, I actually removed it from one, but by the time I got the other one in place and cranked up for the first time, it slipped my mind [a really easy thing to do] and scared the hell out of me for a bit that one side sounded so off..

I also had the DefTec BP7000, a really good speaker, but yeah, they don't hold a candle to the JTRs. I tried to come up with a description of the sound of the JTRs and the best I could come up with was the sound is like etched, perfectly etched clarity that remained to as loud as I have gone so far, which was pretty effing loud. As far as imaging, I have this test track that has musicians making a rear/right stage entrance, marching off the stage and around the mics and then back to exit rear/left. And that's exactly what I heard, even the sound coming from behind me! Never had a pair of speakers that could do that before.

That chest feeling, my way of thinking, if you can feel your clothes vibrating on you, that's a lot of bass, if you feel your insides vibrating, that's a lot of deep bass. If your sub or speakers can't do that, you need a bigger boat, er, sub. I have had an SVS PB16Ultra since they came out and it has no problem shaking my guts when it's called for. I got a JTR Captivator 4000 with the 212s and it's substantially better [oops, pun] than the SVS. It's weird how background sounds like semi-trucks or other 'big' sound sources can be so faithfully reproduced that often I would have to go look outside to see if what I'm hearing is really in the source or if there's actually a huge semitruck grumbling away in my driveway. I don't think you could get that without a lot of subsonics getting well-reproduced by your sub or speaker.
post #39809 of 40406 Old 03-02-2020, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I went to Ethos4Lyfe's place to help him calibrate his HT. When I arrived, he did not have the HT110 surrounds hooked up. So we hooked them up and made a noted of the speaker levels from the last time he ran Audy. I also ran REW to confirm the speaker levels. They weren't all over the place.

Then we reran audyssey with my Denon Audy mic and got pretty much the same speaker levels. Then confirmed loudness with REW's SPL meter. It turned out his Audy mic is perfectly fine.

So we got the following:
---- Audy ----- REW SPL
FL: -12.0 dB --- 78 dB,
CC: -10.5 dB --- 75 dB,
FR: -12.0 dB --- 78 dB,
SL: -5.0 dB ---- 75 dB,
SR: -5.5 dB ---- 75 dB,
SW: -12.0 dB -- 83 dB,

We upped C, SL and SR by 3dB so the 5 channels are all calibrated to 78dB.

We left the sub untouched as Ethos lives in duplex so he can't really turn up the gain or sub level further. He will have to rerun Audy with the subs gain lower so that he can still turn it down further.

The 212RTs and 210RM sounded awesome (insert your description of them) with smooth midrange. The reference speakers did stand out with sweeter vocals than my 212HT LCRs. I was really surprised by how good the 110HTs were. The surrounds were a good 10ft behind the MLP (@ 5 and 7 o' clock) yet I heard vivid and crystal clear panning with precision. I am still using the Polk RTi3As from before as side surrounds @ 3 and 9 o'clock. Before hearing them, I thought using the 110HTs as surrounds was a little overkill. I watched a movie last night and the sound bubble seemed to cover only my 10 to 2 o'clock, rather than the full 360 degrees of seamless immersion I heard at Ethos's place. That was completely unexpected. Now I feel I NEED them to COMPLETE my HT. The 110HTs are just too good and are more than capable used as mains.
giomania, tebling, bulls and 2 others like this.

Last edited by chucky7; 03-02-2020 at 06:52 PM.
post #39810 of 40406 Old 03-02-2020, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Yeah, I went to Ethos4Lyfe's place to help him calibrate his HT. When I arrived, he did not have the HT110 surrounds hooked up. So we hooked them up and made a noted of the speaker levels from the last time he ran Audy. I also ran REW to confirm the speaker levels. They weren't all over the place.

Then we reran audyssey with my Denon Audy mic and got pretty much the same speaker levels. Then confirmed loudness with REW's SPL meter. It turned out his Audy mic is perfectly fine.

So we got the following
---- Audy ----- REW SPL
FL: -12.0 dB --- 78 dB,
CC: -10.5 dB --- 75 dB,
FR: -12.0 dB --- 78 dB,
SL: -5.0 dB ---- 75 dB,
SR: -5.5 dB ---- 75 dB,
SW: -12.0 dB -- 83 dB,

We upped C, SL and SR by 3dB so the 5 channels are all calibrated to 78dB.

We left the sub untouched as Ethos lives in duplex so he can't really turn up the gain or sub level further. He will have to rerun Audy with the subs gain lower so that he can still turn it down further.

The 212RTs and 210RM sounded awesome (insert your description of them) with smooth midrange. The reference speakers do stand out with sweeter vocals than my 212HT LCRs. I was really surprised how good the 110HTs are. The surrounds are a good 10ft behind the MLP (@ 5 and 7 o' clock) yet I heard vivid and crystal clear panning with precision. I am currently using the Polk RTi3As as side surrounds @ 3 and 9 o'clock. I thought the 110HTs were overkill used as surrounds. Now I feel I NEED them to COMPLETE my HT. The 110HTs are just too good and are more than capable as mains.
I too was very surprised at the levels/readings, kind of confusing after speaking with @muscles about how his are setup. But, my room is wonky, lots of reflections maybe. Who knows. Regardless, did my first movie last night - John Wick 3....breath taking. I have never heard sound like this. Since my duplex neighbors have a newborn, I decided to run the JTRs in full range halfway through the movie, w/ no sub. I wanted to hear what they were capable of, and was hoping I could maybe get some bass that wouldn't travel as far. Well....enter the shotgun scene at the end. Listening at -11 (MUCH louder that I normally do), it woke the baby in the back bedroom of the rear duplex. LOL I feel terrible, but I was just blown away. Also, need to look for a new place to live haha
chucky7, mcallister and muscles like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
215RT , 228ht , captivator , Jtr , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , noesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page