SVS SV16-46CS, come to me baby. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-21-2001, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got some back pay from work, combined with my savings in my HT budget, I have enough to buy a new sub. Just ordered it today, and now I'm in my can't wait mode.
I am going to use either my mains amp, or monitor amp from my PA system to power it, both Mackie FR series amps, M.1200 and M.2600, probably the mains amp (2600), because we use the monitor amp to practice with. Either one will will power it. Until our season is done (either first week in October or 3rd week), I will use the 100 watt amp I am using now on my current sub. Then that will become my rear amp for 7.1 (after I save for more speakers).
Thanks for listening, I just wanted to tell someone. I'll post again after I receive it.

------------------
Help, I've fallen and can't reach my remote.
Paul

Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-21-2001, 02:34 PM

Congrats!!

------------------
-- CUE

-- CUE
post #3 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

I received the sub today, hooked it up, set it up, but only listened to a couple of things on it. Still need some fine tuning. Maybe tonight I will watch a movie, I've got some I have been saving for when I got this. I did notice one thing while setting up the limiter, this sub can get really loud without distortion, I think surprises in movies will have a much greater impact, more jump outta your seat impact. Oh yea, I asked my wife if she could hear it in the living room. She said yes, and she could feel it in the chair too. Cool!
Look out weekend, her I come.

------------------
Paul

Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lucky you =). I ordered my Ultra and s1000 today. The bad thing is I am heading out of the coutry on Sunday until next Monday. I wont be able to play with it when it comes. Its killing me.

Chris
post #5 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 03:17 PM

Chris,

from all reports that I have heard about the SVS Ultra you can probably have a friend turn it on and play it for you while you are out of country and you will probably still hear it (-3db of course https://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif )

Miles

ps congrats on the addition one smoking sub!

------------------

My System Config
post #6 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Miles, I nearly bought the Velodyne HGS-18. I just recently learned about the Ultra, and given the glowing reviews the other subs have received, I decided to take the plunge. I dont think I made a wrong decision. I plan on ordering a second in the next month or so =). Its nice I am finally getting my HT together. I have the lt150, now the subs, soon the Swan Diva's and I will be almost all set.

Chris
post #7 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 06:05 PM

Chris,

sounds like it is coming together nicely... I was just drooling over a used amp in the classifieds here but no money :sad

good luck

Miles

------------------

My System Config
post #8 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Paul,

I'm using an F1200 with mu CS Ultra. Its been sitting in boxes in for a few weeks now, but I'm planning to hook things up this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Kelly
post #9 of 13 Old 08-24-2001, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, when i get it to the level of yours I will be happy =). I got the s1000 to power the ultra, but when I get a second I think I will get a Crown K2. I know what you mean though this hobby gets expensive =(.

Chris
post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2001, 06:39 AM

Mane,

Unless you have multiple circuits, I would rethink using a pro-amp for your sub. A pro amp can deliver the goods...but at the expense of high current draw. I was looking at a Crest Amp rated at 435 watts into 4 ohms for my SVS 16-46...but then saw the max draw is 15 amps! Even 1/3 rated power draw was like 6 amps. If you only have 1 15 or even 20 amp circuit for your system, I doubt you want 1 amp using 1/3 to all of your available power. Pro amps are great if you have pro level power avaialble!

On the other hand, many high power consumer amps have large caps that store more energy. For instance, the B&K Ref 4420 i'm using has a Max draw of 6.8 amps, but can deliver 75 due its stored power reserve.

------------------
my toys at www.sdiver.org
post #11 of 13 Old 08-26-2001, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

15 amps! Are you kidding? That sounds like either a short in the amp or its really an arc welding station.

The Mackie F series is much more friedly. You can take a look at the specs:
http://www.mackie.com/Products/FR_Se...ifications.asp

Looks like we'll be hard pressed to do more than 1A using it bridged.

Kelly
post #12 of 13 Old 08-27-2001, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't think pro amps necessarily draw more current than consumer amps. It's really a question about the efficiency of the amp, and there certainly exist efficient pro amps.

The aforementioned Crown K2 is a Class D power amplifier and is very efficient. It's idle power dissipation is 90 watts.

That Crest amp, also, doesn't appear to be a power hog. Any 435 watt into 4 ohms amp requires a minimum 6 amps at 1/3 rated output just by virtue of P = I^2*R.

Steven

------------------
Steven

Steven
post #13 of 13 Old 08-27-2001, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I am running on an existing circuit. By the time I install my Mackie amp, I will have a new circuit just for the HT stuff. Maybe 2.
I seem to have gotten a nice balance going this weekend with the SVS. I watched 3 movies, and have been able to turn down the bass shakers quite a bit. The bass is in the room now, instead of the chair. The SVS is so much more effiecent than the my old sub, I'm not pushing it as hard, and the limiter is way up from the old sub. I was listening to some background music while working on another project, and the bass was just there, not to pronounced, but deeper than it has been in the past. The system seems more balanced than before. The sub is still in a temp spot, maybe I'll have more story later, gotta go for now...

------------------
Paul

Lest we forget 9/11/01
My System
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page