GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 806Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3211 of 5410 Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steveting99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
you could wait to see if Dolby DTS X is implemented and then you can use an existing 9 or 11 channel set up...
DTS hasn't revealed much in terms of how it will implement it's latest technology with existing floor speakers and the additional height speakers required. As of today, there is no white paper for DTS:X. A lot of DTS effort has been in the marketing to drum up support for it's new sound object format, but very little on the technical details or setup requirements.

In other words it may take a year before DTS:X speaker configuration is ironed out. Compare that to Dolby were the full 24.1.10 speaker configuration has been laid out for immersive 3D sound and I remain skeptical that DTS can better this. At best, DTS will be equivalent to Dolby Atmos in terms of 3D sound - just as DTS-MA is equivalent to Dolby TrueHD in lossless movie soundtracks.

There is also the issue of content. Atmos soundtracks are available today, though the quantity and quality is lacking. Even if one doesn't get an Atmos soundtrack in the movie, there is Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) that will take advantage of the height channels with traditional 5.1/7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA lossless soundtracks.

How many DTS:X movies are available right now? One called EX MACHINA to be released in July 2015.

When will DTS release their 3D object sound up-mixer? Maybe end of the year. But you'll have to purchase a new pre/pro/receiver to try this out. That's an expensive option for a single (so far) content format.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 05-21-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo and correction on availability of DTS:X content.
steveting99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3212 of 5410 Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
DTS hasn't revealed much in terms of how it will implement it's latest technology with existing floor speakers and the additional height speakers required. As of today, there is no white paper for DTS:X. A lot of DTS effort has been in the marketing to drum up support for it's new sound object format, but very little on the technical details or setup requirements.

In other words it may take a year before DTS:X speaker configuration is ironed out. Compare that to Dolby were the full 24.1.10 speaker configuration has been laid out for immersive 3D sound and I remain skeptical that DTS can better this. At best, DTS will be equivalent to Dolby Atmos in terms of 3D sound - just as DTS-MA is equivalent to Dolby TrueHD in lossless movie soundtracks.

There is also the issue of content. Atmos soundtracks are available today, though the quantity and quality is lacking. Even if one doesn't get an Atmos soundtrack in the movie, there is Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) that will take advantage of the height channels with traditional 5.1/7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA lossless soundtracks.

How many DTS:X movies are available right now? One called EX MACHINA to be released in July 2015.

When will DTS release their 3D object sound up-mixer? Maybe end of the year. But you'll have to purchase a new pre/pro/receiver to try this out. That's an expensive option for a single (so far) content format.
Thanks for the info. I saw this http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300063437.html

Looks like implementation is happening with the new models. If DTS X is easy to integrate vs Atmos on the engineers part, then i think it is viable and could see transition quite easily when mixing.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #3213 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Been looking into GE, anyone else have the Fives? Would like to hear more comments if anyone can chime in...thanks in advance.
mechx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3214 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
SuperSub XXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post
Any new SuperSub XXL news? Summer is near...
Hi, We expect to have the SuperSub XXL in the stores in late August. This is a rather complex product, and we want to get it right. All the Best, Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #3215 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
SuperSat 3s for Dolby Atmos Height Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
What about SS3's mounted on a swivel holder. Could be attached to the ceiling and aimed at the MLP?
Hi, As suggested here, we have had several folks who have mounted SuperSat 3s on pivot mounts either on the ceiling or very high on the walls angled down, with excellent results. We feel that this gives much better results than bouncing sound off the ceiling. All the Best, Sandy
Bigham16 and sonic debauchery like this.
goldenear tech is offline  
post #3216 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
SuperCenter XXL is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
What's the latest on the new center channel rumors?
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #3217 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N3W813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
Wow, perfect timing. I was about to upgrade my SC50 to SuperXL. I think I'll go fro the XXL now and also upgrade my T2s to T1s.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
N3W813 is offline  
post #3218 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
Been looking into GE, anyone else have the Fives? Would like to hear more comments if anyone can chime in...thanks in advance.
Have them bought just another week till I get them.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3219 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
Well I have already ordered the XL to go with my order of the Fives, and can't see any reason to change I think my XL will be perfect for my Fives, and couldn't imagine paying that extra $500 for the 3 extra speakers included in the XXL.
Wish they would update their website more often, there is no mention of this new speaker anywhere on there.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3220 of 5410 Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Have them bought just another week till I get them.
Very nice, congrats! please be sure to post your impressions!
rustolemite likes this.
mechx is offline  
post #3221 of 5410 Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Well I have already ordered the XL to go with my order of the Fives, and can't see any reason to change I think my XL will be perfect for my Fives, and couldn't imagine paying that extra $500 for the 3 extra speakers included in the XXL.
Wish they would update their website more often, there is no mention of this new speaker anywhere on there.
Hi, The SuperCenter XL will certainly match well with your Triton Fives, which I trust that you are enjoying. There is BTW, a new review up on the Triton Five today: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...st-look-video/ Please realize that the XXL is more that just 3 extra drivers (actually 2 more drivers and an extra passive) . In reality, the XXL required a lot of development time to get everything working well together and sounding right.The larger cabinet is much more complex inside, with three separate chambers. Also, although you hardly see it, the mounting depth of the drivers varies in order to help get the phase response aligned. The crossover is also much more complex, being both balanced, with polypropylene capacitors, and with an extra section to roll off the top end of the low frequency drivers located on the outside edges of the cabinet differently that the two inner ones. And, of course, a lot of R&D went into making it all work properly, including developing a new version of the 5.25" driver that is used for low frequencies, with a different voice coil for optimized low frequency performance. Sometimes what looks to be relatively simple, is not simple at all. All the Best, Sandy
Montucky likes this.
goldenear tech is offline  
post #3222 of 5410 Old 05-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, The SuperCenter XL will certainly match well with your Triton Fives, which I trust that you are enjoying. There is BTW, a new review up on the Triton Five today: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...st-look-video/ Please realize that the XXL is more that just 3 extra drivers (actually 2 more drivers and an extra passive) . In reality, the XXL required a lot of development time to get everything working well together and sounding right.The larger cabinet is much more complex inside, with three separate chambers. Also, although you hardly see it, the mounting depth of the drivers varies in order to help get the phase response aligned. The crossover is also much more complex, being both balanced, with polypropylene capacitors, and with an extra section to roll off the top end of the low frequency drivers located on the outside edges of the cabinet differently that the two inner ones. And, of course, a lot of R&D went into making it all work properly, including developing a new version of the 5.25" driver that is used for low frequencies, with a different voice coil for optimized low frequency performance. Sometimes what looks to be relatively simple, is not simple at all. All the Best, Sandy
Sorry didn't mean to question the build or design quality of the speaker, just noting that I couldn't see the benefit in upgrading to the XXL for the extra price. Would like to have tried out the new XXL but for now I have what I can afford.
And after watching the review really can't wait to receive my 5's.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3223 of 5410 Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Ediddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks for the update the new center could make a great match with my Triton 1s.
Ediddy is offline  
post #3224 of 5410 Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Thanks for the update the new center could make a great match with my Triton 1s.
That's what I was thinking is this center was made for matching with the ones.
Ediddy likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3225 of 5410 Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bigham16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I have 4 Super Sat 3's on my ceiling on pivot mounts pointed at the MLP. They are awesome! I have also heard the Invisa 7000 in an Atoms room and I cannot tell a noticeable difference between the two speakers.

BUT if I could have made the Invisa 7000 work in my room, then I would have gone with them.

Thank you Sandy on the update about the new XXL center. Just sent an email to my dealer about ordering one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
What about SS3's mounted on a swivel holder. Could be attached to the ceiling and aimed at the MLP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, As suggested here, we have had several folks who have mounted SuperSat 3s on pivot mounts either on the ceiling or very high on the walls angled down, with excellent results. We feel that this gives much better results than bouncing sound off the ceiling. All the Best, Sandy

Last edited by Bigham16; 05-26-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Bigham16 is offline  
post #3226 of 5410 Old 05-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a pair of definitive 7002 TL in cherry, and a definitive cs 8080 hd center black), I need to go to a smaller setup, I would trade all 3 for a pair of 7's, they are in as new condition and are set up for audition and inspection in maryland 21220, thanks Rick cell 410 698 2154
panzer is offline  
post #3227 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bigham16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Hi Sandy,

Would you be willing to give us a sneak peak of the XXL Center Channel? Maybe a photo with the sock off?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
Bigham16 is offline  
post #3228 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captainbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama City, Panama
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
I have 4 Super Sat 3's on my ceiling on pivot mounts pointed at the MLP.
Which mounts did you use for the 3's?
captainbrent is offline  
post #3229 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bigham16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I used these, Def Tech ProMount 80

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-80

These are a little bigger if needed, Def Tech ProMount 90

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-90

You can find either one at Best Buy, Amazon, online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Which mounts did you use for the 3's?
Bigham16 is offline  
post #3230 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
captainbrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Panama City, Panama
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
I used these, Def Tech ProMount 80

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-80

These are a little bigger if needed, Def Tech ProMount 90

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-90

You can find either one at Best Buy, Amazon, online.
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Cheers
Bigham16 likes this.
captainbrent is offline  
post #3231 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
SuperCenter XXL Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Hi Sandy,

Would you be willing to give us a sneak peak of the XXL Center Channel? Maybe a photo with the sock off?

Thanks!
Here is a photo:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...740225&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldenEar XXL Stacked2.1286.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	740225  
rcos, Bigham16, slimDub13 and 3 others like this.
goldenear tech is offline  
post #3232 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bigham16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 800
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Wow! That thing is a beast. Thank you and can't wait for mine to come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Bigham16 is offline  
post #3233 of 5410 Old 05-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Member
 
rcos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Very nice, it looks huge. Do you have approximate dimensions I have held out getting a Center Channel waiting on this, to be honest my T1s do an admirable job w/o one.

Thank you,

I guess I will answer my own question

https://www.facebook.com/goldenear/p...type=1&theater

Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro - Parasound Halo Amps - GoldenEar: Triton One (main) Triton 7 (surrounds) Aon 3 (Rears)Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Furman Elite 20-PFI - Sony XBR-65X850C 4K (until my move)

Last edited by rcos; 05-29-2015 at 02:19 AM.
rcos is offline  
post #3234 of 5410 Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
The Murderousone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hey guys can anyone tell me how the triton 5's compare to the triton 1's? I have heard comments the the midrange was better on the new triton '5

Caleb Denison from digital trends said this comparing the two:

"But when it comes to midrange clarity and presence, and overall balance from top to bottom, the Triton Five take the crown. The larger 6-inch drivers at use here (the largest mid/woofers in use across the Triton lineup) add upper midbass punch, and cast a warm, rich glow that makes everything from the meatiness of an upright bass to the resonant thwack of a brush hitting a snare drum seem that much more realistic."


Can anyone comment on this?
The Murderousone is offline  
post #3235 of 5410 Old 05-31-2015, 01:07 PM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post
Hey guys can anyone tell me how the triton 5's compare to the triton 1's? I have heard comments the the midrange was better on the new triton '5

Caleb Denison from digital trends said this comparing the two:

"But when it comes to midrange clarity and presence, and overall balance from top to bottom, the Triton Five take the crown. The larger 6-inch drivers at use here (the largest mid/woofers in use across the Triton lineup) add upper midbass punch, and cast a warm, rich glow that makes everything from the meatiness of an upright bass to the resonant thwack of a brush hitting a snare drum seem that much more realistic."



Can anyone comment on this?
I'm wondering the same. Going to my local dealer this week to audition the fives, but I've never owned tritons, so I have nothing to compare to...

I'm actually surprised this thread isn't more active. Every online review, no matter what site, I read drools and says the sevens and fives are the best thing since sliced bread. It's almost too much, like marketing dollars are hard at work here. I hope I'm wrong...I really want these to be that good. If they are, I guess I likely will own a pair...
mechx is offline  
post #3236 of 5410 Old 05-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
I'm wondering the same. Going to my local dealer this week to audition the fives, but I've never owned tritons, so I have nothing to compare to...

I'm actually surprised this thread isn't more active. Every online review, no matter what site, I read drools and says the sevens and fives are the best thing since sliced bread. It's almost too much, like marketing dollars are hard at work here. I hope I'm wrong...I really want these to be that good. If they are, I guess I likely will own a pair...
Well my 2cents being that for one GE has been around a 1/10 of the time as other brands like Paradigm, B&W, Kplisch, Monitor, KEF and Polk/Definitive which he also founded.
They don't have the overall name recognition yet of these other brands that have been around so long, no online sales like most are switching too, no Best Buy presence and not nearly as many dealers.
Also I don't take the magazine or website reviews as the gospel on their quality, I use them as a starting point and move onto peoples actual experience who own the GE speakers. And if you read through the posts of those that actually own them you will find out they feel the speakers live up to and surpass all the "online reviews".
d_m1010 likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Marantz AV7704 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3237 of 5410 Old 05-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Makes sense...

I expect the triton owners are happy with their purchase, you sure don't see many used tritons come up for sale...guess that's a good thing.

Looking forward to your Fives review once you get them...
mechx is offline  
post #3238 of 5410 Old 06-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Well my 2cents being that for one GE has been around a 1/10 of the time as other brands like Paradigm, B&W, Kplisch, Monitor, KEF and Polk/Definitive which he also founded.
They don't have the overall name recognition yet of these other brands that have been around so long, no online sales like most are switching too, no Best Buy presence and not nearly as many dealers.
Also I don't take the magazine or website reviews as the gospel on their quality, I use them as a starting point and move onto peoples actual experience who own the GE speakers. And if you read through the posts of those that actually own them you will find out they feel the speakers live up to and surpass all the "online reviews".
Totally agree here. I take user reviews in the forums with as much weight as the magazines. I can say that after one month with my Triton Fives and XL center, I'm absolutely thrilled with them. I replaced 15 year old B&W CDM 7SEs with matching center. They are now in my family room upstairs. The GE Triton 5s beat them in every single way. The imaging is amazing, center imaging is spot on where you can localize instruments and voices. Run some high quality music through them and they simply will amaze you for the price. For two channel music, there is no need for a sub in my opinion. Full, deep and extended bass that is also incredibly smooth and well rounded.

The midrange is probably the best to me. I auditioned the 7s first, waiting for my dealer to get the 5s. Went back and listened to the 5s vs the 7s and the 2s. The 5s are the best by far to me in midrange. I didn't listen to the 1s as they weren't hooked up and quite frankly were way larger than I wanted/needed in my basement theater space. I do think the larger mid-bass driver is part of this. I've had a couple of friends over to hear them and they have both guessed the price to be more than double what they retail for.

The center XL matches perfectly with the 5s for me as well. An amazing center. Audyssey wants to cross the center over at 40hz. I've bumped that to 60hz to send the rest to my REL sub. The center throws a VERY wide soundstage for movies. For some reason, Audyssey thinks my mains should cross at 90hz. Wondering if that is because the 4-8" sub bass drivers are not powered and the burst tones are so quick that it doesn't show the true low level of the speaker? Regardless, with my REL sub I run them full range so the REL gets the full signal for two channel music. I have my REL crossed over at 26hz and it blends amazingly well. The REL will play up above that crossover setting and the 5s are rated to 26hz. The output at that frequency isn't as loud as it drops off but this setting works the best.

Look forward to other's reviews and thoughts. I'm thrilled with them.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3239 of 5410 Old 06-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Member
 
mechx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
Totally agree here. I take user reviews in the forums with as much weight as the magazines. I can say that after one month with my Triton Fives and XL center, I'm absolutely thrilled with them. I replaced 15 year old B&W CDM 7SEs with matching center. They are now in my family room upstairs. The GE Triton 5s beat them in every single way. The imaging is amazing, center imaging is spot on where you can localize instruments and voices. Run some high quality music through them and they simply will amaze you for the price. For two channel music, there is no need for a sub in my opinion. Full, deep and extended bass that is also incredibly smooth and well rounded.

The midrange is probably the best to me. I auditioned the 7s first, waiting for my dealer to get the 5s. Went back and listened to the 5s vs the 7s and the 2s. The 5s are the best by far to me in midrange. I didn't listen to the 1s as they weren't hooked up and quite frankly were way larger than I wanted/needed in my basement theater space. I do think the larger mid-bass driver is part of this. I've had a couple of friends over to hear them and they have both guessed the price to be more than double what they retail for.

The center XL matches perfectly with the 5s for me as well. An amazing center. Audyssey wants to cross the center over at 40hz. I've bumped that to 60hz to send the rest to my REL sub. The center throws a VERY wide soundstage for movies. For some reason, Audyssey thinks my mains should cross at 90hz. Wondering if that is because the 4-8" sub bass drivers are not powered and the burst tones are so quick that it doesn't show the true low level of the speaker? Regardless, with my REL sub I run them full range so the REL gets the full signal for two channel music. I have my REL crossed over at 26hz and it blends amazingly well. The REL will play up above that crossover setting and the 5s are rated to 26hz. The output at that frequency isn't as loud as it drops off but this setting works the best.

Look forward to other's reviews and thoughts. I'm thrilled with them.
Thanks for the feedback on the fives, glad you like them.
I'm curious, did you audition any other speakers other than Goldenears?
mechx is offline  
post #3240 of 5410 Old 06-01-2015, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Also I don't take the magazine or website reviews as the gospel on their quality, I use them as a starting point and move onto peoples actual experience who own the GE speakers. And if you read through the posts of those that actually own them you will find out they feel the speakers live up to and surpass all the "online reviews".
I totally agree. The Triton 1s are by far the best speakers I have ever heard and I am thrilled with them. For the first time in my life I am not seeking to upgrade. As a matter of fact, since I have decided to keep the 1s indefinately, I upgraded all of my ICs and speaker wire (contrary to the beliefs on this site so please don't destroy me. I like the look of them as audiophile jewellery) as my last and final upgrade. Everything in my system is where I want it and it sounds glorious. The Triton 1s are the hub of my system and I could not be happier with them.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
d_m1010 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off