GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 818Likes

post #3301 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Does best buy sell Golden Ear speakers? I remember a couple of years ago I saw some in there, but their website has none?
No they have never sold at Best Buy.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Thank God, and hopefully it stays that way. I've come to really appreciate GoldenEar's business model. As tough as it can initially seem to track down a set of GE's, the company does an amazing job of looking out for their dealers.

To find your local guy, go here: http://www.goldenear.com/dealerlocator

If you have a tough time trying to determine which one to use like I did, since I was hundreds of miles from the either of the closest ones, just call GoldenEar, and they can lead you to the right guy. Sandy quickly got me in touch with the dealer, who was awesome and super helpful. Had my SuperCinema on my doorstep in just a few days.
post #3303 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Does best buy sell Golden Ear speakers? I remember a couple of years ago I saw some in there, but their website has none?
Quote:
You might have seen some Def Techs at Best Buy, some of which resemble GoldenEar in appearance.

System
Transducers: Revel Concerta2 F36 (3), M16 (4); Tannoy AMS 6DC (4); Rythmik F18 (2)
Front end: NAD T758 v3; Outlaw Model 7125
Sources: Panasonic UB820; Oppo BDP-103; Toshiba HD-A2
Projection: JVC DLA-RS440; Seymour CenterStage UF retractable 110" 2.35:1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3304 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Thank God, and hopefully it stays that way. I've come to really appreciate GoldenEar's business model. As tough as it can initially seem to track down a set of GE's, the company does an amazing job of looking out for their dealers.

To find your local guy, go here: http://www.goldenear.com/dealerlocator

If you have a tough time trying to determine which one to use like I did, since I was hundreds of miles from the either of the closest ones, just call GoldenEar, and they can lead you to the right guy. Sandy quickly got me in touch with the dealer, who was awesome and super helpful. Had my SuperCinema on my doorstep in just a few days.
There were only 2 dealers in my state according to GE's list I called one phone disconnected and they other would never pick up, I email GE about this and within a few hours they responded that the one had just closed the other was a custom installer.
The one that was the custom installer that never answered his phone promptly emailed me his personal contact info. So that shows that GE will stay on top of their dealers and they contacted him right then about a potential customer.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
post #3305 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Rust, do you also like the 5's better than your Studio 100's?
post #3306 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Actually, the Rogue amps are particularly good choices for the GoldenEars. Enjoy! Sandy
Any other recommendations Sandy? I just picked up the Triton 5s and XL center. Using a Rotel 5 channel 100 watt amp today. Been wanting to upgrade and would love a good match. The Rotel sounds great, just need more headroom.

Thanks.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
post #3307 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 673
I have been really contemplating what pair of speakers to get for my $3K budget, and was leaning heavily on the triton two's, but I have been reading a few posts of people saying the triton's have a "sweet spot" that you have to be in to get the full effect. I would be using them mainly for gaming and music, and they would be in a 2.0 (no separate sub) configuration. Is it true? Do the tritons require you to be sitting down in a certain "sweet spot" to fully enjoy them? I have an old pair of Energy C-7's and they do not really have a sweet spot. They sound good from all seating positions.
post #3308 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 157
IMO, this all comes from Stereo Review's technical specs section on the Triton 1s from about four months ago. They commented on how measurements indicated the tweeters had a measurable drop-off in the vertical plane. In other words, they sounded different if you stood up versus when you were sitting down. A closer reading revealed this is more about d'appolito arrays than it is about the tweeters themselves. There was a brief flurry of manic twitching when someone talked about tilting the back of the speaker up or down to point the tweeters' "sweet spot" in various directions.

My takeaway: I sit on my couch when I listen to music. I don't care if they sound different when I get up to get a beer. I'm getting a beer. As long as they sound fine when I sit back down it's all good. And if it's a vertical constraint, that means everyone else who's sitting down won't have a problem either.

To VERY broadly paraphrase a certain WWI ace: Find a dealer, sit down and listen. The rest is rubbish.
rustolemite likes this.
post #3309 of 5455 Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
To VERY broadly paraphrase a certain WWI ace: Find a dealer, sit down and listen. The rest is rubbish.

^^
That!

Raj
post #3310 of 5455 Old 06-18-2015, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Spoke to my dealer today going to pick up the SuperCenter XXL Saturday. Going to be a great match with my triton ones. Now I have to sell a speaker (SuperCenter XL) that I'm stil in love with. I guess I have have Goldenear problems
htpcforever likes this.
post #3311 of 5455 Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Spoke to my dealer today going to pick up the SuperCenter XXL Saturday. Going to be a great match with my triton ones. Now I have to sell a speaker (SuperCenter XL) that I'm stil in love with. I guess I have have Goldenear problems ���������������� �
I have the XL that I got with my 5's, really want to hear if you feel there is a big enough difference in the two worth upgrading. For me its all about the volume and clarity of the voices on my center.

post #3312 of 5455 Old 06-19-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Rust, do you also like the 5's better than your Studio 100's?
Hey sorry took so long to respond.
As for the 100's vs 5's, my XL center has much cleaner sound and the voices are not muffled like on the CC690.
As for 100's the one thing they do have over my 5's is the amount of volume they can handle, the 5's can't go quite as loud but the quality is much better and think most of it is due to the tweeter.
Most of my music listening on the 100's was in Plixx Music setting which made it 5.1, the 2 channel sound of the 100's was loud just not that clear/clean. With the 5's I noticed the first time
I played music that I would be using only 2 channel from now on. The sound that comes out of those tweeters is to me what makes the GE's speakers so good and.
I have noticed in the weeks I have had them that they have naturally gotten louder, guess that comes from the "breaking in" time.
At first I was a little disappointed that the 5's weren't as loud as the 100's, I listen to alot of EDM and like it LOUD, but after listening to them I have decided that they quality of the sound is worth
maybe not being able to play as loud.

post #3313 of 5455 Old 06-19-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I far prefer my Triton 7s over the Paradigm Millenia 200s I had, much cleaner sound from the Tritons.
rustolemite likes this.
post #3314 of 5455 Old 06-19-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey sorry took so long to respond.
As for the 100's vs 5's, my XL center has much cleaner sound and the voices are not muffled like on the CC690.
As for 100's the one thing they do have over my 5's is the amount of volume they can handle, the 5's can't go quite as loud but the quality is much better and think most of it is due to the tweeter.
Most of my music listening on the 100's was in Plixx Music setting which made it 5.1, the 2 channel sound of the 100's was loud just not that clear/clean. With the 5's I noticed the first time
I played music that I would be using only 2 channel from now on. The sound that comes out of those tweeters is to me what makes the GE's speakers so good and.
I have noticed in the weeks I have had them that they have naturally gotten louder, guess that comes from the "breaking in" time.
At first I was a little disappointed that the 5's weren't as loud as the 100's, I listen to alot of EDM and like it LOUD, but after listening to them I have decided that they quality of the sound is worth
maybe not being able to play as loud.

Thanks for the update with your opinions. Obviously the Studio 100's are far larger (with greater internal volume) and also lots of drivers......I do know I like the sound of the GE tweeters though!
post #3315 of 5455 Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Spoke to my dealer today going to pick up the SuperCenter XXL Saturday. Going to be a great match with my triton ones. Now I have to sell a speaker (SuperCenter XL) that I'm stil in love with. I guess I have have Goldenear problems ���������������� �
I am not worried about your old speaker at all. What you should be worried about is connecting and calibrating the new XXL Center and giving your full report.......sheesh !!
rustolemite and Ediddy like this.
post #3316 of 5455 Old 06-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Looking for new speakers

Hey guys,

I have a dedicated home theater which is 24x12. I have a 130" screen and 4 svs subwoofers.

I am in the market for new speakers. I am looking to make a 7.4 setup for now and planning to make it 13.4.6 when avr will support it in the future.

I would like to get the supercenter xxl. But i dont know what other speakers to add. Any suggestions?

It is only used for movies.
keikihula likes this.

PT-AE8000 |130" fixed frame
Marantz SR-5007
Klipsch RF-62 II
Klipsch RC-62 II
Klipsch RB-61 II. | Klipsch RS-52 II
Dual SVS PB-2000
post #3317 of 5455 Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Sandy,

First and foremost, thanks for creating these wonderful speakers and making it much affordable than most of the Hi-end speakers. I am a big fan of Goldenear Technologies. I have a dedicated home theatre room of length 19 feet x breadth 14 feet x height 9 feet. I have been researching a lot for the past 2 years for the best 11.2 speaker set up with both Auro 3d and Dolby Atmos capability. I am planning to built gradually starting with a 5.1 set up. Kindly let me know what would be the best possible 11.2 set up, which could be the best for my room from Goldenear. I don't mind the price, but want the best set up possible. I would definitely want the Triton ones for the fronts. Thanks once again. Appreciate it.

Best Regards,

John
post #3318 of 5455 Old 06-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Dear Sandy,

First and foremost, thanks for creating these wonderful speakers and making it much affordable than most of the Hi-end speakers. I am a big fan of Goldenear Technologies. I have a dedicated home theatre room of length 19 feet x breadth 14 feet x height 9 feet. I have been researching a lot for the past 2 years for the best 11.2 speaker set up with both Auro 3d and Dolby Atmos capability. I am planning to built gradually starting with a 5.1 set up. Kindly let me know what would be the best possible 11.2 set up, which could be the best for my room from Goldenear. I don't mind the price, but want the best set up possible. I would definitely want the Triton ones for the fronts. Thanks once again. Appreciate it.

Best Regards,

John
You should also check out the GE forums.

post #3319 of 5455 Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the sub pre out from my AVR going to an SVS powered sub PC25-31+, and from there (pass through connections) to a splitter and on to my Triton Twos.
Sometimes, I only want the Tritons and not the SVS, so I have the SVS plug hooked up to an X10 module which I turn on off.
My Q is - that when I shut the SVS off, I hear a really loud and scary HUMMMMM coming from the Tritons for a second or two.
Is this a problem or damaging to the Tritons?
post #3320 of 5455 Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Suggestions for your system

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrabi1983 View Post
Dear Sandy,

Best Regards,

John
Hi, First, thank you for the kind words. In terms of your question, building an 11.2 set-up around the Triton Ones, here is my suggestion: Obviously, SuperCenter XXL. In terms of rear and side surrounds, it would depend some on the particulars of your room and installation. If you wanted to go in-wall, the Invisa MPX, mounted vertically are excellent. If you didn't want in-wall, anything from SuperSat 3s to Triton Twos. In general, having more extended response in the side and rear surrounds is somewhat useful but not essential. The reason for Triton Twos for rear surrounds (as we used in our Atmos system at CEDIA last year) is not so much for the extended range on the surround channels, as for running a 4 way split of the LFE signal going into all 4 Tritons (with the Tritons still run as large). This gives you, in effect, 4 LFE subwoofers, and is quite spectacular. Additional subs? Up to you. The bass from the Tritons is terrific. Triton Ones plus Twos are amazing. Bur bass is like horsepower, is 500 enough in your supercar, or do you want 750? If you want additional subs, i recommend our new SuperSub XXLs, coming later this summer. In terms of Atmos height speakers, absolutely Invisa 7000s. If you go to our website, under support, you will find an Atmos section. Please let me know if you have other questions. All the Best, Sandy
heartlink likes this.
post #3321 of 5455 Old 06-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Bad Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgott42 View Post
I have the sub pre out from my AVR going to an SVS powered sub PC25-31+, and from there (pass through connections) to a splitter and on to my Triton Twos.
Sometimes, I only want the Tritons and not the SVS, so I have the SVS plug hooked up to an X10 module which I turn on off.
My Q is - that when I shut the SVS off, I hear a really loud and scary HUMMMMM coming from the Tritons for a second or two.
Is this a problem or damaging to the Tritons?
Hi, I'm not quite sure why you have the Tritons hooked up like this, nor exactly what is happening, but if turning off the the SVS subs caused a really loud and scary hummmm, I would say how you have them hooked up is not a good idea. Also, it is possible that the X10 module is causing the hum. If you want to use LFE in to both the SVS and the Tritons, I would run a 3 way RCA split out of your LFE out and into the LFE in on the Tritons and sub. Also, you didn't go into the rest of your processor settings. Tritons should be set as large, full range. Woofer level on the back of the Tritons set for proper level with 2 channel music, no double bass,super bass, bass plus and if you have Audyssey, no dynamic or bass expansion. All the Best, Sandy
post #3322 of 5455 Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Just unboxed the Supercenter XXL. Very impressive speaker substantially bigger than the SuperCenter XL. I didn't get to run it through its paces because I was so full from Father's Day dinner. Very good first impression and I will have more detail to soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1434936355913.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	788826   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1434936411824.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	788834   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1434936506560.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	788842  
Steve609 and deafenears like this.
post #3323 of 5455 Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any reason to anticipate new surround speaker options that might be a better match for the T1's (similar to the new XXL Center being a better match for the T1's)?

I assume that di-pole or bi-pole options are not likely (as Atmos seems to be driving manufacturers towards direct radiating surrounds).

Also, random question... Any concern with having T1's plus an XXL Sub all on a single Circuit? (And should they plugged into the wall directly or through surge protector or power conditioner.)
post #3324 of 5455 Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I had bi-pole speakers with my previous iteration of the rig, and I have to say I was never very impressed with them. The SuperSat 3's I have now create a very convincing rear image, even though their placement isn't optimal (on the ceiling, about a foot behind MLP). IMO, sound engineers assume rear speakers are much less capable (even in theaters) and mix accordingly. But again, just my opinion.
post #3325 of 5455 Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Hi, First, thank you for the kind words. In terms of your question, building an 11.2 set-up around the Triton Ones, here is my suggestion: Obviously, SuperCenter XXL. In terms of rear and side surrounds, it would depend some on the particulars of your room and installation. If you wanted to go in-wall, the Invisa MPX, mounted vertically are excellent. If you didn't want in-wall, anything from SuperSat 3s to Triton Twos. In general, having more extended response in the side and rear surrounds is somewhat useful but not essential. The reason for Triton Twos for rear surrounds (as we used in our Atmos system at CEDIA last year) is not so much for the extended range on the surround channels, as for running a 4 way split of the LFE signal going into all 4 Tritons (with the Tritons still run as large). This gives you, in effect, 4 LFE subwoofers, and is quite spectacular. Additional subs? Up to you. The bass from the Tritons is terrific. Triton Ones plus Twos are amazing. Bur bass is like horsepower, is 500 enough in your supercar, or do you want 750? If you want additional subs, i recommend our new SuperSub XXLs, coming later this summer. In terms of Atmos height speakers, absolutely Invisa 7000s. If you go to our website, under support, you will find an Atmos section. Please let me know if you have other questions. All the Best, Sandy
Dear Sandy,

Thanks for your quick reply. Appreciate it.

Best Regards,

John
post #3326 of 5455 Old 06-23-2015, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Sandy,

I really appreciate you participating here with us. I am building a new second home that has a very open floor plan with 10' ceilings. There are no back or side walls for the surround speakers, only the ceiling. I'm also an old head that enjoys two channel music listening occasionally. I'm trying to noodle thru what the best setup might be for my room. I read the Atmos System write up on your site and was wondering if there was a speaker choice and setup you would recommend for an Atmos experience with only the ceiling as an option for surround speakers. I'm thinking of using Triton 1's and an XXL SuperCenter as the 3 up front. Thank you for any insight you can provide.
post #3327 of 5455 Old 06-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Question

Quote:
Hi Sandy,

I do have a few related questions to keep you busy Thanks a bunch in advance for your time.

1) If you went all-out in the front with Triton One L/Rs and SuperCenter XXL, but needed a higher performance on-wall option for the 4 side/back surrounds (and floor-standers weren't an option), would you go with the Aon bookshelves over the SuperSat 3s (are the Aon's even wall-mountable)?

2) If so, would you still choose the Invisa MPX over the Aons if both in-wall or on-wall were available options?

3) Would you subscribe to this alternative "high wall-mount" option for Atmos if also concerned about also having a "universal" placement that also works well for Auro-3D (and upcoming DTS-X)?

http://screencast.com/t/58xw9pN2u7ee (from http://www.svsound.com/Welcome/t/intro-to-atmos)

If so, would you go with Aons, SuperSat 3s, or SuperSat 50s for the 4x height speakers?

4) Is there a difference with the HVFR tweeter position in the SuperSat C (center) versions (almost like driver array and/or concentric driver position)? In other words, if I wanted to use SuperSats for my height speakers, mounted horizontally using the "high wall-mount" option above, would I need to make sure I get the C versions to avoid potential sound combing issues? Or, is the difference strictly practical (stand placement) and/or aesthetics (grill logo position)?

Thanks again!

post #3328 of 5455 Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I've just gotten my new theater up and running, with 3 pairs of Triton 1s and SupercenterXXL, with 4 HTR7000s in ceiling. While I won't have my new processor that has ATMOS, etc, until later this year, the sound is incredible. Along with my pair of JL Audio F113 subs, the Triton 1's integrated subs give me smooth and powerful bass coverage in the entire room. I still have more tuning to go, and plan to put up a few pictures soon.

Lee
heartlink and tomrowe125 like this.

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2 overhead speakers), OPPO 203D (4K, Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Sony XBR-75Z9D monitor.
post #3329 of 5455 Old 06-27-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I've just gotten my new theater up and running, with 3 pairs of Triton 1s and SupercenterXXL, with 4 HTR7000s in ceiling. While I won't have my new processor that has ATMOS, etc, until later this year, the sound is incredible. Along with my pair of JL Audio F113 subs, the Triton 1's integrated subs give me smooth and powerful bass coverage in the entire room. I still have more tuning to go, and plan to put up a few pictures soon.

Lee
Hi,

3 pairs of Triton 1's? Wow - just freaking wow!! I say this most respectfully but is that not overkill in the extreme? I only ask that as someone with somewhat limited experience, I have read that the duties of surround channels whilst important, are nowhere near as demanding as that of the main L/C?R speakers as they only act for the effects channels so will the Triton 1's you use for these duties ever reach even close to what they capable of? From a performance point of view, would not any of the Aon's for example achieve pretty much the same as T1's our what they are being tasked to do?

Just trying to learn & understand things better - please post pics soon as I am intrigued as to what your set up looks like - it must be amazing!!

Bazzy!
post #3330 of 5455 Old 06-27-2015, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post

Lee
Wow, you've really got the low end covered with that setup. What processor are you intending to add?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page