GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 824Likes

post #3931 of 5488 Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am stoked! Picked up a pair Triton 5's yesterday. I have only had a few hours to listen to them but they sound wonderful! I moved my Triton 7's to the bedroom in place of the Aon 3's. I am hearing positive differences in these new speakers. I will post my opinions of the comparison if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 5488 Old 04-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 173
What Tritons to use as rear channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarery View Post
I'm looking at swapping my surrounds out for a pair of GE Triton series and could use some advice.

My current 7.2.4 setup is :
Fronts - Triton One's
Center - Supercentre XXL
Surrounds - Polk RTi A9
Rear - Polk RTi A1
Height TF & TR - Polk OWM5 x 4
Subs A&B - Klipsch R-115SW x 2

Room is MultiUse, 6k cubic feet. 23.5 long x 14.5 wide open on one side to another slightly shorter room which is open again on side to a slightly shorter room.
Projector and 120" screen used 95% for movies and 5% for music.

Bass setup is Subs are one on front wall, and one placed nearfield behind couch. Triton Ones are currently setup with speaker wires only, no LFE, set to Large so they get all the redirected Bass from the remaining 9 small speakers.

The A9 Surrounds are quite large physically. So my first thought is to go to Triton 3+ as they are the smallest footprint. My other option is I can get a pair of Triton 2 (original) for about the same price.

I would then have the option of wiring up all 4 Tritons and the 2 external for subs, to reduce room modes and get better bass at more than just the main seat.
Optionally I leave the LFE to the two external, and let the 4 tritons share the redirected bass under the crossover. Would there be any difference in this case using the 2's over the 3's?

Which would best compliment the Triton One's? The new 3+ with crossovers matched to the ones but lesser powered bass, or the original 2's with better powered bass? How does sharing of the redirected bass work when the front two have 3 active drivers and the rear two have only single active drivers?
Hi, If you will be using the additional pair of speakers as rears, I would recommend the Triton Twos. While the new Three+ and Two+ have definitely been upgraded in terms of sonic signature, realistically this will be much more beneficial when they are used as front main speakers. However, the added bass impact of the Twos, over the Three+, will be of great benefit, when you use them as rears, run the Front and Rear Tritons as Large, sub Yes, and run a four way split out of the LFE on your receiver into the LFE in on all four Tritons. We ran this at CEDIA two years ago and the bass was EXTRAORDINARY!!! You will have 4 LFE subs in your room. Basically, set the bass level on the front Triton Ones as per two channel listening (probably 1 o'clock), the bass level on the Twos similarly, as if you were using them for two channel, and then the LFE level to taste. It is a little tricky to get it all balanced properly, but well worth the effort. You may find that you want the bass level on the back of the Triton Twos a little lower, as they will be getting the same LFE signal as the Ones, and can't be pushed quite as loud. All the Best, Sandy
Steve609 likes this.

Last edited by goldenear tech; 04-03-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: more info
post #3933 of 5488 Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Sonic Improvements from Two to Two+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokmm View Post
Thanks.

I was offered some discount on Triton2s, is there any sound difference from 2 to 2plus? I am planning to save some money going with 2s if there is no much difference in sound?

Any thoughts?
Hi, There is definitely a significant improvement in sound. As you read in the press release I posted in 3922, in response to your original inquiry, I go into it in some detail. But also read the review, with the link in 3921, to read what a reviewer has to say, not just my statements. The original Twos are great, the Two+ noticeably better. How significant the improvements will be for you, I can't say, but they are significant. Thanks, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 5488 Old 04-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, If you will be using the additional pair of speakers as rears, I would recommend the Triton Twos. While the new Three+ and Two+ have definitely been upgraded in terms of sonic signature, realistically this will be much more beneficial when they are used as front main speakers. However, the added bass impact of the Twos, over the Three+, will be of great benefit, when you use them as rears, run the Front and Rear Tritons as Large, sub Yes, and run a four way split out of the LFE on your receiver into the LFE in on all four Tritons. We ran this at CEDIA two years ago and the bass was EXTRAORDINARY!!! You will have 4 LFE subs in your room. Basically, set the bass level on the front Triton Ones as per two channel listening (probably 1 o'clock), the bass level on the Twos similarly, as if you were using them for two channel, and then the LFE level to taste. It is a little tricky to get it all balanced properly, but well worth the effort. You may find that you want the bass level on the back of the Triton Twos a little lower, as they will be getting the same LFE signal as the Ones, and can't be pushed quite as loud. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks for the reply.
MY thinking going forward may be a bit unorthodox. I agree with the 4 LFE channels to make bass sound great which is what I currently have with two external subs. What I don't have is 4 speakers in separate corners putting out the redirected bass, so this bass signal is still susceptible to poor room modes.

Currently 2 Tritons Ones up front. 2 External 15" subs in the back.

Im thinking I'd leave the Triton 1's and external 15" subs as the 4 LFE channels in the four corners. The external subs are behind the couch/MLP. This gives me fairly flat response under 200z.
The Polk I'm looking at replacing are the side surrounds just back of and out to the sides of the couch. If I replace these with either Triton 2's or 3+'s I have two options. All 6 setup as LFE, or the following.....

Leave the Triton 1's and external subs as the 4 LFE channel speakers. Then I would use the triton 1's up front and the new Triton Surrounds all set to large, so I get them sharing the redirected bass duties.

This way with both bass sound channels, the redirected bass from small and the LFE channel, each being supplied to 4 speakers to reduce room modes.

External subs getting LFE only
Triton One Fronts getting both LFE and Redirected Bass
Triton 3+ (or 2) getting redirected Bass

With regards to the Bass level on my triton 1's, when not using LFE I can run them at 12:00 and seems good, but once LFE goes to them, I have to have them at min in order to pass the audyssey setup of 75db and not sound boomy.
post #3935 of 5488 Old 04-03-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I don't believe that's correct, at least with Pioneer receivers at any rate. Speakers set to LARGE will get a full range signal. Bass management will only happen with speakers set to small.

Recordings with an LFE channel (i.e. movies) may be different. In fact GE testing has revealed some variation in behavior by manufacturer, which is why nowadays they recommend connecting their powered speakers by wire *and* LFE.

IMO you can't really make a blanket statement like this. Read the manual on your particular receiver to see what the various speaker size settings will actually do.
Quote:

As dscottj states above, (and i've recently learned) this is a false but common misunderstanding. As soon as any speakers are set to Large, only the LFE channels go to subs, and all speakers set to small have their bass frequencies below the crossover redirected to the large speakers. dscottj mentions it may be receiver specific but according to the Moderators on the GE forums, it is the Dolby spec that determines this, so any receiver conforming to Dolby will be this way, which I imagine would be all of them...
Think I didn't worded the response correctly. My understanding is your current setup is a 5.1 system and that that bass management is as shown in the picture below.

Are the fronts are set to 'LARGE' on the pre/pro/receiver and the center and the surrounds are set to 'SMALL'? In this arrangement, channels 1 & 2 (which represent the front L/R) will be a straight pass through on the full 20Hz to 20kHz frequency range from source to the speakers. While channels 3, 5 & 6 will have their frequencies below the crossover re-directed to the LFE channel (Channel 4) and summed up so that the total output to the sub(s) is a mono signal.

As Jarery is proficient with REW, a test can be carried out to verify the bass management setup in the pre/pro/receiver is as shown in the diagram by setting the front L/R to 'LARGE' and the rest of the speakers to 'SMALL' with the highest crossover frequency possible - say 250Hz. Set the Main Volume (MV) to a comfortable level and well above the noise floor within the room.

Play a test tone an octave below the crossover (120Hz or less) to the front Left channel (Channel 1). Only the front Left speaker should be reproducing this signal. The rest of the speakers and sub(s) should be silent.

Repeat the test with the surround left channel (Channel 5). Noise should be coming out of the sub channel only. The front Left speaker (actually all the speakers) should be silent.

Would like to know if the above test is valid way to confirm bass management setup?

Edit: In addition to the above mentioned tests, the LFE (0.1) channel signal test can be carried out. Using Channel 4 activates the LFE channel and a 120Hz test signal can be sent to the sub(s). Note that there is a +10dB boost in Channel 4. The only noise should be coming from the subs. The speakers (including the front L/R mains) should be silent.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 04-04-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: additional text
post #3936 of 5488 Old 04-05-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
I am stoked! Picked up a pair Triton 5's yesterday. I have only had a few hours to listen to them but they sound wonderful! I moved my Triton 7's to the bedroom in place of the Aon 3's. I am hearing positive differences in these new speakers. I will post my opinions of the comparison if anyone is interested.
I'm definitely curious!

Panasonic TX-P50VT60E owner
post #3937 of 5488 Old 04-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
As Jarery is proficient with REW, a test can be carried out to verify the bass management setup in the pre/pro/receiver is as shown in the diagram by setting the front L/R to 'LARGE' and the rest of the speakers to 'SMALL' with the highest crossover frequency possible - say 250Hz. Set the Main Volume (MV) to a comfortable level and well above the noise floor within the room.

Edit: In addition to the above mentioned tests, the LFE (0.1) channel signal test can be carried out. Using Channel 4 activates the LFE channel and a 120Hz test signal can be sent to the sub(s). Note that there is a +10dB boost in Channel 4. The only noise should be coming from the subs. The speakers (including the front L/R mains) should be silent.
I've done a bunch of testing prior, which led me to post questions on this and GoldenEars boards, and got answers from people who know a lot more about sound a and avr's and dolby than I ever will. And the answer is as I stated above. If any speaker is set to large, all redirected bass under the crossover goes to the large speakers only, and only LFE goes to the subs. Unless Bass+, double bass, or whatever each respective manufacture calls it is turned on. This is also all documented, albeit poorly, in my Denon AVR manual.
post #3938 of 5488 Old 04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
I've done a bunch of testing prior, which led me to post questions on this and GoldenEars boards, and got answers from people who know a lot more about sound a and avr's and dolby than I ever will. And the answer is as I stated above. If any speaker is set to large, all redirected bass under the crossover goes to the large speakers only, and only LFE goes to the subs. Unless Bass+, double bass, or whatever each respective manufacture calls it is turned on. This is also all documented, albeit poorly, in my Denon AVR manual.
Interesting that your tests with the Denon indicate that with the fronts set to 'LARGE' all re-directed bass goes to the front L/R rather than the sub.

I've got the Marantz SR-7009 (sister make to Denon and from the same parent holding company of D&M) with a 5.1.4 Atmos setup and can set the fronts to 'LARGE' while the surrounds to 'SMALL' under bass management. When time permits, will use REW to check how the bass management is implemented within the SR-7009 using the test patterns mentioned previously.

Another test project to carry out and will post back what the findings are.

Curious to verify what you're saying is correct or not.

Edit: I've always set bass management ON (i.e. all speakers set to 'SMALL' within the SR-7009 receiver) as the sound reproduction and surround bubble is more meaty and fuller sounding compared to when setting the front L/R to 'LARGE'. This includes engaging a +3dB boost at 80Hz, with a wide band filter PEQ filter in order to get that chest slam on the subs. But then again, I don't have the Triton 1s so could be missing out on something here.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 04-05-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: additional text
post #3939 of 5488 Old 04-06-2016, 06:11 AM

Red face

The Triton fives are definitely more refined sounding. This is mainly in the mid range, I notice how smooth and balanced male vocals are. The male vocals sound fuller, for example on the Triton 7's Al Stewart would sound a bit harsh or nasally but not he 5's it is very full and smooth. The imaging and soundstage are the biggest improvement though. The images are easier to pin point where they are coming from, the left to right is more defined. The sound stage is different too. It seems to be placed further back and is a bit wider with the 5's. I run dual subs so I cannot speak to the low end difference. I am loving these though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizkitBoy View Post
I'm definitely curious!

Last edited by itguy61; 04-06-2016 at 06:14 AM.
post #3940 of 5488 Old 04-09-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Ordered 2 GE FF5s

Super pumped folks...going in my 12x25 theatre room...I know 2 are overkill but I couldn't resist...running with an Anthem 1120...

Would love to hear from any one who is using an ff5 or two and what you think of their performance...

Thanks folks...

Last edited by asharma; 04-09-2016 at 02:11 PM.
post #3941 of 5488 Old 04-10-2016, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 70
After many years of sampling different loudspeakers and listening numerous times to GoldenEar I finally purchased a pair of Triton Ones a few days ago. All the glowing reviews from the professional reviewers are spot on correct. They are, well, WOW!!! The Triton One is exactly what I have been searching a long time for. They do it all exceptionally well....beautiful smooth pleasing non-tiring detailed highs, excellent midrange, and the bass oh that bass. Exceptionally well balanced loudspeakers.

They sounded great in the showroom but they actually sound even better in my living room.

I just hope my homeowners insurance covers foundation damage due to the T1's extraordinary deep bass.

I think these loudspeakers look fantastic. My girlfriend loves how they sound and look. She said they look modern and elegant.

Sandy and his team did an outstanding job creating these loudspeakers inside and out.

Last edited by Spleen; 04-11-2016 at 09:49 AM.
post #3942 of 5488 Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hello, if any Triton 3 owners could post some good quality pictures WITHOUT the sock on it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #3943 of 5488 Old 04-16-2016, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I just bought the Bee Gee's one night only in Blu-Ray and I must say through my Triton One's, Supercenter XXL and Triton Five as surrounds this concert sounded PHENOMENAL! Makes me second guess myself as to why I have them up for sale!

post #3944 of 5488 Old 04-16-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just bought the Bee Gee's one night only in Blu-Ray and I must say through my Triton One's, Supercenter XXL and Triton Five as surrounds this concert sounded PHENOMENAL! Makes me second guess myself as to why I have them up for sale!
You say in your link the Triton One is by far your favorite loudspeaker. Seems odd to sell your favorites. ??? What are you replacing them with?

Last edited by Spleen; 04-16-2016 at 10:58 PM.
post #3945 of 5488 Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
You say in your link the Triton One is by far your favorite loudspeaker. Seems odd to sell your favorites. ??? What are you replacing them with?
I am going to try some JTR 215RT with matching center. I love to try out new equipment as it keeps the hobby fresh for me. So far being in this hobby since 16yrs old (now 50) the Triton One's are, overall, my favorite speaker. They sound great with everything, are not too finicky for room placement.Don't have to be driven with expensive electronics to sound great (although if you do purchase better electronics your ears will be rewarded).LOVE the built in subs, are not fatiguing and will also really get up and boogie when you get in one of those moods where you want to let the horses run so to speak. What's not to love
Jeff Permanian likes this.

post #3946 of 5488 Old 04-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I am going to try some JTR 215RT with matching center. I love to try out new equipment as it keeps the hobby fresh for me. So far being in this hobby since 16yrs old (now 50) the Triton One's are, overall, my favorite speaker. They sound great with everything, are not too finicky for room placement.Don't have to be driven with expensive electronics to sound great (although if you do purchase better electronics your ears will be rewarded).LOVE the built in subs, are not fatiguing and will also really get up and boogie when you get in one of those moods where you want to let the horses run so to speak. What's not to love
Fun hobby. Enjoy!
I am thoroughly enjoying my new Triton Ones (and SuperCenter XL). I drive the T1 with a McIntosh MC7270 270 watt amp and it sounds awesome. I can listen to them all day and not suffer ear fatigue.
post #3947 of 5488 Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am planning to use SuperSat3s as ATMOs (Mouunt it on Ceiling), did any one used SS3s as ATMOs? How the sound quality?
post #3948 of 5488 Old 04-21-2016, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone have superstat 50s - opinions on them?
keikihula likes this.

"You’re KILLIN’ ME Smalls! "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #3949 of 5488 Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokmm View Post
I am planning to use SuperSat3s as ATMOs (Mouunt it on Ceiling), did any one used SS3s as ATMOs? How the sound quality?

You may want to consider GeT SS3C's for the heights as these are designed to be mounted horizontally.

Brad
post #3950 of 5488 Old 04-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks Brad..

Do you know what is the desired location hang them as front presence speakers?? I mean what is the distance from front main speakers??
post #3951 of 5488 Old 04-23-2016, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Can you please post your impressions between T7 and T5? Thanks!

[Home Theater] LINK
[Music Room] Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 40 Floorstanders | Receiver: Peachtree Audio Nova220SE
post #3952 of 5488 Old 04-25-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Love mine...needed a little break in time but after a few weeks, really amazing speakers!! Will post pic of my setup tonight.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #3953 of 5488 Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
Can you please post your impressions between T7 and T5? Thanks!
See my post several posts above.
post #3954 of 5488 Old 04-26-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Amazing speakers, love the ribbon tweeter.

sonic debauchery likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #3955 of 5488 Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
WHAT DO GOLDENEAR FANS WANT TO SEE NEXT FROM THEM?..........

I would like to see a passive triton series with near Triton one capability in the bass and mid bass region.
sunPin likes this.
post #3956 of 5488 Old 04-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'm not sure that's physically possible, at least in the form factor the Tritons use. Mid-bass and up, give the 5s a listen if you haven't already. I think the starting point of that line was "a completely passive Triton 1 for people who want to use separate subs." Not saying that's what it IS, but I think that may have been where they started.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #3957 of 5488 Old 04-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'd like to see the Five and Seven get the + treatment with the upgraded crossover and mid driver. That's the thing that's keeping me from selecting them over Concerta2 at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #3958 of 5488 Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I just sold my Triton Ones and XXL center and have been using my T5's for surround duty but since the others are sold I am using my T5's as mains and must say I am IMPRESSED! I just put my T5's up for sale today, makes me second guess my decision LOL!!

post #3959 of 5488 Old 05-01-2016, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
I just sold my Triton Ones and XXL center and have been using my T5's for surround duty but since the others are sold I am using my T5's as mains and must say I am IMPRESSED! I just put my T5's up for sale today, makes me second guess my decision LOL!!

How do the Fives compare with the Ones in terms of depth imaging? Are they able to trick your brain into thinking that things are actually close to you or far away from you?

The Two+ I demoed were able to do that, and wanted to know if the Five would be different because they don't have the + upgrades.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #3960 of 5488 Old 05-01-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 531
^^^^

Keep in mind part of the "+" upgrade is the DSP for the subs.

I THINK (not tested or validated) that T5 with the SUB XXL will give the T1 a run for its money pending room size.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page