GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 824Likes

post #5311 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 335
this pic shows my one.r's placements...for now anyway, still experimenting. sounds amazing. I came directly from a pair of Focal 836w's which I had for about 7 yrs. this pic also shows how the s3600i subs dominate visually...fortunately, they also dominate aurally. but you can't blame me for wondering how a pair of the large GE subs would look and perform in the same space...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	2534716  

at the zenith of his nadir...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
this pic shows my one.r's placements...for now anyway, still experimenting. sounds amazing. I came directly from a pair of Focal 836w's which I had for about 7 yrs. this pic also shows how the s3600i subs dominate visually...fortunately, they also dominate aurally. but you can't blame me for wondering how a pair of the large GE subs would look and perform in the same space...

Well they would certainly look a lot better... I listened to a SuperSub XL and they are incredibly good performers for their size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5313 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yeah...here's a different angle, but still
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	109
ID:	2534720  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5314 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Looking for placement options for the SuoerSub XXL and cannot find a schematic that shows the distance from one foot to the other (front to back) and how far the feet are from the edges? I know the sub measures 18 inches deep so I’m curious to know how far apart the feet are from one another, outer edge to outer edge? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #5315 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Looking for placement options for the SuoerSub XXL and cannot find a schematic that shows the distance from one foot to the other (front to back) and how far the feet are from the edges? I know the sub measures 18 inches deep so I’m curious to know how far apart the feet are from one another, outer edge to outer edge? Thanks in advance.

SS XXL is about 15 inches deep and a little more than 18.5 inches wide. The rubber feet are about a half inch in from the edges. They’re heavy duty rubber feet. Certainly no need for isolation feet from the likes of SVS.

post #5316 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post
SS XXL is about 15 inches deep and a little more than 18.5 inches wide. The rubber feet are about a half inch in from the edges. They’re heavy duty rubber feet. Certainly no need for isolation feet from the likes of SVS.

Thanks...Wish there was a drawing of the measurements on GE’s website or manual like JL Audio has.

Last edited by mbroadus; 03-05-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #5317 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:

I did not realize you had new Triton Towers, earlier. The addition of SS XXL’s could act as an additional two subs to the subs within the towers and you could tune all four subs with something like a minidsp. But if were in your shoes...

I’d move the s3600i’s to a different location in the room (perhaps the back of the room, about 25 percent from the corners, or on the sides of the room, or one towards the front side and another, the back side). I recall Mark Seaton writing he had a lot of success with one on the back wall opposite the front wall somewhere, but don’t quote me on that as it has been a while since I read that!).

I’d consult with Tom V about this and voice your concerns and what you’d like. Those towers surely have good output in the 20’s. What sort of crossover are you using, if at all? Does it differ with movies and music? Regardless, with that much output, solid room treatment may do wonders.

lefthandluke likes this.
post #5318 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks...GE specs indicated the sub is 18 inches deep but that may include the knobs, not just the box. Wish there was a drawing of the measurements on GE’s website or manual like JL Audio has.

This may be my misinterpreting what is meant by deep. Here’s a picture:

mbroadus likes this.
post #5319 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks...Wish there was a drawing of the measurements on GE’s website or manual like JL Audio has.

The website is spot on under the “specs” category. It’ll tell you the measurements needed. One thing that appealed to me about the sub was knowing it wasn’t going to stick out from the wall close to two feet. That’s why I knew 18 didn’t sound quite right. Here’s a link:

https://www.goldenear.com/products/s...series?gktab=2
mbroadus likes this.
post #5320 of 5488 Old 03-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I meant to ask you, what sort of processor are you using?
post #5321 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 03:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did not realize you had new Triton Towers, earlier. The addition of SS XXL’s could act as an additional two subs to the subs within the towers and you could tune all four subs with something like a minidsp. But if were in your shoes...

I’d move the s3600i’s to a different location in the room (perhaps the back of the room, about 25 percent from the corners, or on the sides of the room, or one towards the front side and another, the back side). I recall Mark Seaton writing he had a lot of success with one on the back wall opposite the front wall somewhere, but don’t quote me on that as it has been a while since I read that!).

I’d consult with Tom V about this and voice your concerns and what you’d like. Those towers surely have good output in the 20’s. What sort of crossover are you using, if at all? Does it differ with movies and music? Regardless, with that much output, solid room treatment may do wonders.

yes the one.r's have very nice bass extension...to the point that they are the first speaker I've owned that I run as "large" with no crossover. they offer a seamless presentation, integrated perfectly but it took a bit of room placement experimentation to nail it. still tweaking a little. I've owned deftech bp7001's with 10'' active and passive and I crossed those at 60hz. I've never been able to achieve this level of seamlessness with any speaker/sub combo I've owned...but the focal/psa setup was very, very good in its own right. I use a parasound p5 for 2 channel, home theater by-passed to a Marantz 8801 pre/pro for movies...which is the only time I now run the psa subs.

post #5322 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 AM

First, I must say that you probably have just about as good fronts and sub combo “on paper” I can imagine. It would be categorized as a dream system for me. If cost were no object, I’d probably pick that combo or the Seaton’s (and that’s just a toss up, and all theoretical based on reading a lot about all the equipment).

Second, even though it’ll be recommended sometimes to try subs relatively close to fronts for integration purposes, from a speculative standpoint (I.e., guessing!), I would not have those subs next to towers with that kind of power. No need to integrate for two channel, anyway. For HT, it would essentially be like having four subs all next to each other rather than having them spread out for smoother response, depending on how you set them up (and at the same time, I know folks have done it this way with HT setups and you may have done a lot more work figuring sub location than I know). And from an aesthetic standpoint, were you to move the subs to a different location, problem “might” be solved for you. What an interesting/fun problem to have. I don’t mean to dissuade you from the SSXXL, though. They are the right ratio of balance/output for me right now in my current room, and you could locate those at different areas of the room for four subs and uber smooth response as well.

I think Sandy generally recommends running the towers large with LFE channels going to them as well (which you probably already know—and I might be remembering him wrong). But your subs are uniquely massive, so they might be an exception to his rule (eg, I’m curious what it would be like to cross them at 30).

Third, check out GIK acoustics. They’ll give you a free room consult for acoustic treatments and they seem to have some of the better prices. With that much bass, traps may be calls for.

Have you tried putting the PSA’s in different locations of the room?

lefthandluke likes this.
post #5323 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This may be my misinterpreting what is meant by deep. Here’s a picture:

Thank you very much for the picture....that's even better. I was mistaken, I have 18 inches on my mind because that's the size of the area for the sub to fit into (18" deep x 20" wide). I really like the way the sub is designed so that there's not a large box protruding into my living room. Thanks again.

Last edited by mbroadus; 03-06-2019 at 06:54 AM.
post #5324 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much for the picture....that's even better. I was mistaken, I have 18 inches on my mind because that's the size of the area for the sub to fit into (18" deep x 20" wide). I really like the way the sub is designed so that there's not a large box protruding into my living room. Thanks again.
Completely agree--it's the extension from the wall that kept me from considering the others for now.
mbroadus likes this.
post #5325 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Second, even though it’ll be recommended sometimes to try subs relatively close to fronts for integration purposes, from a speculative standpoint (I.e., guessing!), I would not have those subs next to towers with that kind of power. No need to integrate for two channel, anyway. For HT, it would essentially be like having four subs all next to each other rather than having them spread out for smoother response, depending on how you set them up (and at the same time, I know folks have done it this way with HT setups and you may have done a lot more work figuring sub location than I know). And from an aesthetic standpoint, were you to move the subs to a different location, problem “might” be solved for you. What an interesting/fun problem to have. I don’t mean to dissuade you from the SSXXL, though. They are the right ratio of balance/output for me right now in my current room, and you could locate those at different areas of the room for four subs and uber smooth response as well.

I think Sandy generally recommends running the towers large with LFE channels going to them as well (which you probably already know—and I might be remembering him wrong). But your subs are uniquely massive, so they might be an exception to his rule (eg, I’m curious what it would be like to cross them at 30).

Third, check out GIK acoustics. They’ll give you a free room consult for acoustic treatments and they seem to have some of the better prices. With that much bass, traps may be calls for.

Have you tried putting the PSA’s in different locations of the room?

wise words brother...you are spot on. back in the day I had a sub (not these subs) in the front right corner and one in the left rear corner with great results. I later had identical subs (again, not these subs) opposing each other on the long side walls with decent results. many trials and tribulations with many sub combos. I eventually moved my gear and media to the rear and side walls...(the pic is of the rear wall), just no room for subs. the size of these psa subs limits the placement possibilities, but even in this position they are formidable. i use to run xt32 with the dual sub option with good results, but i read a post by Mark Seaton stating that when using subs fairly near each other on the same plane he recommends splitting one sub out and EQ them both as one sub. this works great. no doubt tho if i had a blank slate and placement was not an issue, i could do better yet. the placement options afforded by the size of the GE xxl subs, even tho not as potent individually as the psa's, might get close performance wise and not be as intrusive visually. does my thought process make any sense...?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	90
ID:	2535396  

Last edited by lefthandluke; 03-06-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #5326 of 5488 Old 03-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
wise words brother...you are spot on. back in the day I had a sub (not these subs) in the front right corner and one in the left rear corner with great results. I later had identical subs (again, not these subs) opposing each other on the long side walls with decent results. many trials and tribulations with many sub combos. I eventually moved my gear and media to the rear and side walls...(the pic is of the rear wall), just no room for subs. the size of these psa subs limits the placement possibilities, but even in this position they are formidable. i use to run xt32 with the dual sub option with good results, but i read a post by Mark Seaton stating that when using subs fairly near each other on the same plane he recommends splitting one sub out and EQ them both as one sub. this works great. no doubt tho if i had a blank slate and placement was not an issue, i could do better yet. the placement options afforded by the size of the GE xxl subs, even tho not as potent individually as the psa's, might get close performance wise and not be as intrusive visually. does my thought process make any sense...?

Ok, you're way ahead of me in thinking this through (and experienced in this area)! Sounds like the SSXL's may be the perfect match, because you really could spread them out, given the room constraints. And you're right in that the combination of the SSXXL's along with the subs in those towers will surely bring about some heavy-hitting bass/room interaction. I'll be super curious to find out what you end up doing. As far as EQing as one sub, that's what I understand is the way to go. Over on the minidsp 88 thread, there is a link to @AustinJerry 's way of integrating several subs prior to calibration, with the use of minidsp 2x4 (man I hope I'm remembering this right). A lot of those participants are majorly experienced in bringing about perfect bass. I write this as if you don't know this, or aren't familiar with some of those board members (please forgive me if you are--I'm just throwing that out, in case you're not familiar and are curious about exploring all possibilities with integration). One of the major participants wrote the guide to Audyssey that is circulated on the boards, here (they're all Dirac "converts" now). Pretty interesting stuff. With my Denon 4520, making use of "SubEq" does calibrate them as one sub, after they're time aligned (if I understand things, correctly). But from what I've been reading, Dirac is better (and, evidently, they're coming out with a bass module that will be added to their already excellent calibration software).
post #5327 of 5488 Old 03-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
during setup audyssey asks you to set your sub levels to 75db...when I do my sub gains are set at approx. 8 o'clock...I usually bump it to 9 o'clock which reads at 80-82db. audyssey sets the sub levels at -12...I then bump it to -7

So I tried this trick. I BARELY remember something like this mentioned on the Audyssey thread (which I has been years since I really dug into it). Let me just say... WOAH... I've never watched a movie (Venom) that was that intense (and balanced). I calibrated with the subs running a little hotter (just in the "red" on Audyssey at around 79-81 during SW matching). So then, after calibration, Audyssey cut off a ton of the volume level and I adjusted from there (at least 5db, but I think a little more). Super pleasing, floors shaking (though I don't care about the latter so much). I'll usually run the first 10 minutes of the movie Drive and the The Bourne Supremacy as my test run (good music, some decent special effects without getting too busy). I think I now know what the it means for a room to be "pressurized." Chest and ears sufficiently thumping with these Jessie's.
Simm and lefthandluke like this.
post #5328 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
So I tried this trick. I BARELY remember something like this mentioned on the Audyssey thread (which I has been years since I really dug into it). Let me just say... WOAH... I've never watched a movie (Venom) that was that intense (and balanced). I calibrated with the subs running a little hotter (just in the "red" on Audyssey at around 79-81 during SW matching). So then, after calibration, Audyssey cut off a ton of the volume level and I adjusted from there (at least 5db, but I think a little more). Super pleasing, floors shaking (though I don't care about the latter so much). I'll usually run the first 10 minutes of the movie Drive and the The Bourne Supremacy as my test run (good music, some decent special effects without getting too busy). I think I now know what the it means for a room to be "pressurized." Chest and ears sufficiently thumping with these Jessie's.
You can buy the audyssey app and customize the subwoofer curve. I bump up the 20hz to 35hz around 3db. Gives some extra bottom end plus Audyssey rolls off starting at 30Hz.
HTNUT1975 likes this.
post #5329 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
One way to diminish the visual impact of a large sub in ones field of vision, is to see if it will work near field, like in the corner beside the sitting position. perhaps, worth a try.
post #5330 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Supersat 3 as surrounds for Triton 2+ setup?

I'm in the midst of upgrading my home theater setup. I now have the Denon AVR X8500HSP and am awaiting delivery of a GoldenEar setup comprised of Triton 2+ and Supercenter XL for LCR, 4 Invisa 650s for Atmos, and 4 Supersat 3s for surrounds. There was no ability to demo the Supersat 3s in advance and I'm wondering if they will be a good enough match to the higher tier LCR. This is a midsize open living room configuration and I was going to use the HTR 7000s in the ceiling for the surrounds for a cleaner look but decided it would sound better (separation-wise) and be more cost effective as well to get listener level surrounds. However, this being the living room I didn't want the larger Aons nor the 50s. I could possibly do 4 more 650s in-wall but there are some constraints that would place the rears fairly wide (outside the mains) and the sides might be slightly forward of the listening position. My understanding is that the sides should be in line with the listener or behind but never in front. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

post #5331 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
One way to diminish the visual impact of a large sub in ones field of vision, is to see if it will work near field, like in the corner beside the sitting position. perhaps, worth a try.
yeah, nearfield was actually the first position I tried with the first 3600i...I had pretty nice results but the visual aspect was just as overwhelming if not more so...
shivaji likes this.

post #5332 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
very cool...sounds like those xxl's are doin a great job! oh, by the way...just what is a "Jessie"??

post #5333 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Placing SuperSubs Against a Wall

Quote:
Currently looking at the SuoerSub XXL and curious whether it can be placed against a wall? Curious because I was told by a JL Audio dealer that the SuperSubs cannot be placed near a wall and that the subs are not very good because of the 2 passive / 2 active design. In the pic below, I’ll be placing the XXL about 12-15 inches from right speaker underneath the window.

The sub will be located where the brown basket is currently and there will be drapes but they will be open most of the time unless we’re watching a movie during peak sunlight.

Hi, Absolutely the SuperSubs can be placed against the wall. Obviously, sorry to say, the dealer that you are speaking with has no idea what he is talking about. I am imagining that he is not fully acquainted with the SuperSubs and I don't know why he would say that they are not very good because they have 2 active and 2 passive drivers. Just FYI, the SuperSub X was honored by Absolute Sound as Subwoofer of the Year, both SuperSubs are Absolute Sound Editor's Choice and Anthony Cordesman, a Senior Reviewer at Absolute Sound, purchased a pair of SuperSub XXLs for his reference system to go with his 60K Magicos.
lefthandluke and HTNUT1975 like this.
post #5334 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Absolutely the SuperSubs can be placed against the wall. Obviously, sorry to say, the dealer that you are speaking with has no idea what he is talking about. I am imagining that he is not fully acquainted with the SuperSubs and I don't know why he would say that they are not very good because they have 2 active and 2 passive drivers. Just FYI, the SuperSub X was honored by Absolute Sound as Subwoofer of the Year, both SuperSubs are Absolute Sound Editor's Choice and Anthony Cordesman, a Senior Reviewer at Absolute Sound, purchased a pair of SuperSub XXLs for his reference system to go with his 60K Magicos.

Thanks for the reply and I agree with you. I told him about all the awards and he claims Golden Ear gets awards because of marketing and advertising. Anyway, I do plan on buying the xxl. I’ve had Golden Ear in the past and they are fantastic. Thanks Sandy!

post #5335 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
You can buy the audyssey app and customize the subwoofer curve. I bump up the 20hz to 35hz around 3db. Gives some extra bottom end plus Audyssey rolls off starting at 30Hz.

Unfortunately, my AVR was prior to the app being available. I'll next be getting something with Dirac so I can dive into it all. Still, though, it is quite amazing what a few tricks can do!
post #5336 of 5488 Old 03-11-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
very cool...sounds like those xxl's are doin a great job! oh, by the way...just what is a "Jessie"??

I've named them.

That's the highest form of compliment in my mind. ;-)
post #5337 of 5488 Old 03-28-2019, 03:35 AM

Location: Derby City, USA- a blue oasis in a sea of red-state insanity...
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has the Triton One been superceded by the Triton One.R, and discontinued? I'm no longer seeing the One listed on GoldenEar's website, though you can apparently still buy them on the store page
post #5338 of 5488 Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I would say the One.r will replace the T1.

MSRP is only $1,000 more for the pair.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #5339 of 5488 Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 527
As will the center channel.

Mike Miles
[email protected]