GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 823Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 5487 Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Sandy. Assuming the budget was flexible enough, and assuming I've already (mentally) committed to the SS50's for my front three, how about another leap up to the Triton 7's and a SuperCenter X? I'm still on the fence between staying with towers and a conventional center channel, and going satellites for the front three - I've never done a system with all satellites before, but those SuperSat's are very appealing. Decisions, decisions...
After listening to everything i could, I ended up going with (4) Sat3's (L, R, SR, SL) and a Sat50c as my center. Great speakers. Sounds great and look great on my wall as well. My room is 15'x10' and has a full opening to the kitchen so something small and sounds great was the key decision. Initially wanted to go in wall but due to some stud issues, that wasn't feasible.

Philm63, i don't know your room dimensions but the above would make an excellent setup. Make sure to go with the 50c/60c as the center. Looks great under the TV and sounds great too!
ChicagoChris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 5487 Old 12-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Philm63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plain City, OH
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
After listening to everything i could, I ended up going with (4) Sat3's (L, R, SR, SL) and a Sat50c as my center. Great speakers. Sounds great and look great on my wall as well. My room is 15'x10' and has a full opening to the kitchen so something small and sounds great was the key decision. Initially wanted to go in wall but due to some stud issues, that wasn't feasible.

Philm63, i don't know your room dimensions but the above would make an excellent setup. Make sure to go with the 50c/60c as the center. Looks great under the TV and sounds great too!
@ChicagoChris - Did you use the stands for your front SS3's, or did you wall mount, or...?

My living room is around 14' deep by 20' wide with openings on one side to a foyer and the front doors, and on half of the back wall it is open to a dining room - 20' ceilings with catwalks, sloped ceiling on one side - room dimensions are a mess! My set-up is on the long wall so I sit about 6' from my speakers - sounds like maybe the satellites would be a good choice.
Philm63 is offline  
post #2853 of 5487 Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
@ChicagoChris - Did you use the stands for your front SS3's, or did you wall mount, or...?

My living room is around 14' deep by 20' wide with openings on one side to a foyer and the front doors, and on half of the back wall it is open to a dining room - 20' ceilings with catwalks, sloped ceiling on one side - room dimensions are a mess! My set-up is on the long wall so I sit about 6' from my speakers - sounds like maybe the satellites would be a good choice.
From what you describe, your room is 2240 cubic feet. Maybe more with all the openings?

If your budget allows, towers will imo be more suitable. That is a lot of space to fill with sound (openings)
Depending on what you choose and the space you have, a pair of subs would be ideal to give your room the best bass balance. For example Triton 2's with their built in sub. Triton 7's with say 2 FF4 subs.

The Aon's will imo also give you more of a tower like sound with more capability, but also needing a sub(s) set up.

Hope this helps....SD
sonic debauchery is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2854 of 5487 Old 01-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Member
 
Philm63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plain City, OH
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
From what you describe, your room is 2240 cubic feet. Maybe more with all the openings?

If your budget allows, towers will imo be more suitable. That is a lot of space to fill with sound (openings)
Depending on what you choose and the space you have, a pair of subs would be ideal to give your room the best bass balance. For example Triton 2's with their built in sub. Triton 7's with say 2 FF4 subs.

The Aon's will imo also give you more of a tower like sound with more capability, but also needing a sub(s) set up.

Hope this helps....SD
I think it may be a bit more with all the openings - did a few more accurate measurements this morning - somewhere north of 4000 cu ft. Just got back from auditioning the GEs - they started with the Triton 1's - wow! Too rich for my blood at this time, so I asked to hear the Triton 7's and the SS50's. Typical home theater store with sound rooms and all that - I was really surprised how thin the SS50's sounded when compared to the Triton 7 towers, quite a difference. The highs on the SS50's were real clean but as I'm starting to hear from others who also know about my room specs, they will not be loud enough for my room, and they were just lacking in the lower end I was expecting to hear, so I'll have to look elsewhere, and the Triton 7's sounded fantastic! I may just go with those for now, and the SuperCenter X.
Philm63 is offline  
post #2855 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Roopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
Are you running the ones as LARGE ans SW yes?

If so, then turn off all Audyssey settings and calibrate with SPL only. I did this and the sound is way better with Audyssey off on all sources. (I run Triton 2's)
Hi sonicdebauchery,

Is it just Audyessy, or is it all types of room correction (ARC, etc)?

Setup last HT in early 1998 with a Yamaha DSP-A3090, Polk Audio RT-20P's tower fronts with powered subs, CS-350 centre and M-5 surrounds. Changed amp to a Denon 3802 in 2001 and stayed with that til Dec 2013, when I sold everything (and moved a number of time zones / continents )

I have just picked up a pair of T3's and am currently driving them 2 channel only with the old Yamaha DSP-A3090 HT amp. Will be looking at adding the centre and surrounds in the next couple of months. Am in the market for a new HT unit. Open to a receiver or even a pre/pro setup.

Have been looking at Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Anthem, Arcam and Emotiva (pre and amps). Just got an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2 for Christmas. Dying to use it, but also investigating possibility to sell it and get an XPA-5 or XPA-7 (if I go the pre/pro route)

Have always had Denon's, but not happy with the deterioration in build and component quality that D&M Holdings has allowed over the years.

Request for inputs from all my seniors here.

Thanks
A very confused Roopster
incidentflux likes this.
Roopster is offline  
post #2856 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm63 View Post
I think it may be a bit more with all the openings - did a few more accurate measurements this morning - somewhere north of 4000 cu ft. Just got back from auditioning the GEs - they started with the Triton 1's - wow! Too rich for my blood at this time, so I asked to hear the Triton 7's and the SS50's. Typical home theater store with sound rooms and all that - I was really surprised how thin the SS50's sounded when compared to the Triton 7 towers, quite a difference. The highs on the SS50's were real clean but as I'm starting to hear from others who also know about my room specs, they will not be loud enough for my room, and they were just lacking in the lower end I was expecting to hear, so I'll have to look elsewhere, and the Triton 7's sounded fantastic! I may just go with those for now, and the SuperCenter X.
Are you also considering a subwoofer, whether it be GE or someone else?

With 4000 cubic feet your going to need some powerful gear. The 7's and a SCXL will be a better match. The way it was described to me was that the SCXL is essentially a Triton 7 center speaker given its reputation.

I went from a SS50 center to the SCXL and all i can say is WOW, worth every penny!
hydrotex likes this.

Last edited by sonic debauchery; 01-03-2015 at 02:52 AM. Reason: addition
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2857 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 AM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopster View Post
Hi sonicdebauchery,

Is it just Audyessy, or is it all types of room correction (ARC, etc)?

Setup last HT in early 1998 with a Yamaha DSP-A3090, Polk Audio RT-20P's tower fronts with powered subs, CS-350 centre and M-5 surrounds. Changed amp to a Denon 3802 in 2001 and stayed with that til Dec 2013, when I sold everything (and moved a number of time zones / continents )

I have just picked up a pair of T3's and am currently driving them 2 channel only with the old Yamaha DSP-A3090 HT amp. Will be looking at adding the centre and surrounds in the next couple of months. Am in the market for a new HT unit. Open to a receiver or even a pre/pro setup.

Have been looking at Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Anthem, Arcam and Emotiva (pre and amps). Just got an Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2 for Christmas. Dying to use it, but also investigating possibility to sell it and get an XPA-5 or XPA-7 (if I go the pre/pro route)

Have always had Denon's, but not happy with the deterioration in build and component quality that D&M Holdings has allowed over the years.

Request for inputs from all my seniors here.

Thanks
A very confused Roopster
Is it all room corrections? i can only answer to what i have experience with....Denon, Pioneer and Onkyo.
MCAAC is the worst of the 3, Audyssey XT on the Denon 3808 and Xt 32 on my Onkyo 818.

I noticed a big improvement with Audyssey XT32 when i first calibrated. I was happy with the sound.
I tried hooking my T2's up to LFE just to experiment. They sounded far too boomy.
Long story short, Sandy called me at home and helped me out. I took his advice and did what he said.
I then decided i like running the T2's with speaker wire only as recommended in the manual at full range/large. SW yes.

Audyssey, ARC etc do great work at fixing room response with distance and phase etc. Audyssy XT32 added lots of bass to the sub channel in comparison to XT.

A simple analog Radioshack SPL meter was one great purchase. Sandy recommended to me to shut all Audyssey settings off. I then calibrated with the SPL meter to 75 db, 85db on the subwoofer.

This was essentially tweaking a flat setting (Audyssey off) and the results were great. All of my speakers to my ears have better dynamics now. I have to turn up the volume more, but that is ok.

I agree with you on Denon as their build quality has gone to the pooper. I went with Onkyo as i felt their construction was better. I know people say they have issues, mine has been great.

If however, it fails, i am going to most likely move to Anthem. Reasons are sound quality, ARC i hear is incredible at room nulls and i don't use all the fancy surround settings that i have on my Onkyo.
Networking features that are lacking in the Anthem can be done with a bluray player.

Pre/Pro would be cool as well. Yamaha seems to have Aventage 3030 and MX-a 5000 combo for 5k if your thinking pre/pro with all the bells and whistles.
Roopster likes this.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2858 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ronin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

A simple analog Radioshack SPL meter was one great purchase. Sandy recommended to me to shut all Audyssey settings off. I then calibrated with the SPL meter to 75 db, 85db on the subwoofer.
Wow 85 on the SW sounds like a lot. I always thought alll speakers should be calibrated to the same level at around 75 with the sub possibly a little less. Obviously Sandy knows what he's talking about but did he give any reasons why 85?

I don't know if I can do movies without audessey since I'm in an apartment I use the dynamic volume to bring up vocals while keeping the loud parts under control, still I have to use low frequency containment to keep the bass pulled back. I don't use audessy for two channel music though and have calibrated it with and spl to 75db. I actually calibrated the gain dial on the ones this way. I unplugged one speaker and ran the test tone to calibrate to 75 then pugged the speaker back in but unplugged the speaker wires and ran the LFE test tone and turn the knob until around 77 db the dial ended up being at the almost 10 o'clock position. I did this for the other speaker as well and that one the dial ended up at the 11 o'clock position. I think the difference is due to the fact that that speaker sits right next to another open room so I think I lose some bass energy.

I have a question on toeing in and position. My speakers are about 9 feet apart and 10 feet from the listening position. I have toed in a little, not directly at the ears but aiming at the outsides of my shoulders. When I listen to music if I lean my upper body forward about 6 inches and up 2 inches the vocals change a bit. They get a little cleaner.
I know that a lot of things that effect sound but does this suggest that I should space the speaker out further or toe them out more? Maybe neither of those? Just trying to fine tune these

It would be awesome if Goldenear had a service where you can schedule someone from their company to come to your house to help you adjust
ronin22 is offline  
post #2859 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Member
 
OldZorki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Glad I found this thread, as on GoldenEar site I was not able to get answer.
I am planning HT in my new house and looking to get Triton 1s, SC-X and bunch of Invisa speakers for ceiling, surround, etc.
My concern is Triton "sock". You know, WAF and so on - big black towers are not necessary good match with any home decor.. ))
So I wonder if anyone experimented with painting or bleaching Triton cloth. White or another color will be nice ))).
Also how strong are those "cloth" covers and how tey withstand pet attacks? Does GE sell replacement in a case original sock is damaged?
OldZorki is offline  
post #2860 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Wow 85 on the SW sounds like a lot. I always thought alll speakers should be calibrated to the same level at around 75 with the sub possibly a little less. Obviously Sandy knows what he's talking about but did he give any reasons why 85?

I don't know if I can do movies without audessey since I'm in an apartment I use the dynamic volume to bring up vocals while keeping the loud parts under control, still I have to use low frequency containment to keep the bass pulled back. I don't use audessy for two channel music though and have calibrated it with and spl to 75db. I actually calibrated the gain dial on the ones this way. I unplugged one speaker and ran the test tone to calibrate to 75 then pugged the speaker back in but unplugged the speaker wires and ran the LFE test tone and turn the knob until around 77 db the dial ended up being at the almost 10 o'clock position. I did this for the other speaker as well and that one the dial ended up at the 11 o'clock position. I think the difference is due to the fact that that speaker sits right next to another open room so I think I lose some bass energy.

I have a question on toeing in and position. My speakers are about 9 feet apart and 10 feet from the listening position. I have toed in a little, not directly at the ears but aiming at the outsides of my shoulders. When I listen to music if I lean my upper body forward about 6 inches and up 2 inches the vocals change a bit. They get a little cleaner.
I know that a lot of things that effect sound but does this suggest that I should space the speaker out further or toe them out more? Maybe neither of those? Just trying to fine tune these

It would be awesome if Goldenear had a service where you can schedule someone from their company to come to your house to help you adjust
i turned the subwoofer up to 85 on my own. I have since lowered it to around 77-78 db as the pointer bounces between 75 and 80 now.

I think your right in that they should all be calibrated to the same level. My sub is behind my MLP and i like to shake the couch a bit, but keep the bass as clean as possible at the same time.

Your speakers sound like they are spaced properly and the way you calibrated was excellent. Audyssey is a must it seems in your case? Try it without and see if the neighbors come knocking?? to hear what the one's sounds like without manipulation.

An easy way to see if the position is right is to get some twine and see if there is an equilateral triangle formed from the MLP outward. Perhaps the toe-in is slightly too much and this is why when you move forward you are hearing cleaner vocals?? Also are the speakers close to a side wall? if so then you may need to bring them out from the side wall a bit. I am about 22 inches from my side wall and like that performance. I don't get a whole lot of re-enforcement from the side wall, which is what i like.

hope this helps SD
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2861 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
dscottj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Not sure how to get the sock completely off the speaker, but it would definitely involve disassembling the base at the very least. Painting seems ill-advised, since the paint might clog the cloth. Not sure about dye and/or bleach.

I've had my Triton 1s for about three months now, around very young cats who treat them like pylons at a boating race as they barrel around the room. No attacks yet.
dscottj is offline  
post #2862 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Member
 
OldZorki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Not sure how to get the sock completely off the speaker, but it would definitely involve disassembling the base at the very least. Painting seems ill-advised, since the paint might clog the cloth. Not sure about dye and/or bleach.

I've had my Triton 1s for about three months now, around very young cats who treat them like pylons at a boating race as they barrel around the room. No attacks yet.
YOu are correct about painting, I ment dye and bleach.
I wonder if GE would like an idea to make custom colored socks (for an extra fee of course). Never underestimate a WAF barrier...
OldZorki is offline  
post #2863 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Roopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
Is it all room corrections? i can only answer to what i have experience with....Denon, Pioneer and Onkyo.
MCAAC is the worst of the 3, Audyssey XT on the Denon 3808 and Xt 32 on my Onkyo 818.

I noticed a big improvement with Audyssey XT32 when i first calibrated. I was happy with the sound.
I tried hooking my T2's up to LFE just to experiment. They sounded far too boomy.
Long story short, Sandy called me at home and helped me out. I took his advice and did what he said.
I then decided i like running the T2's with speaker wire only as recommended in the manual at full range/large. SW yes.

Audyssey, ARC etc do great work at fixing room response with distance and phase etc. Audyssy XT32 added lots of bass to the sub channel in comparison to XT.

A simple analog Radioshack SPL meter was one great purchase. Sandy recommended to me to shut all Audyssey settings off. I then calibrated with the SPL meter to 75 db, 85db on the subwoofer.

This was essentially tweaking a flat setting (Audyssey off) and the results were great. All of my speakers to my ears have better dynamics now. I have to turn up the volume more, but that is ok.

I agree with you on Denon as their build quality has gone to the pooper. I went with Onkyo as i felt their construction was better. I know people say they have issues, mine has been great.

If however, it fails, i am going to most likely move to Anthem. Reasons are sound quality, ARC i hear is incredible at room nulls and i don't use all the fancy surround settings that i have on my Onkyo.
Networking features that are lacking in the Anthem can be done with a bluray player.

Pre/Pro would be cool as well. Yamaha seems to have Aventage 3030 and MX-a 5000 combo for 5k if your thinking pre/pro with all the bells and whistles.

Sonic debauchery,
Thanks for the inputs. I am going to look more at the Anthem MRX-710 or maybe a used D2V 3D if I can find one
Yamaha package sounds interesting. Will have to look into that combo.
Some networking features are important to me as have moved almost completely to all media on a NAS (since 2008), so do need the media player functionality maybe with a good external DAC. or look at the Oppo 103 / 105 players (Sold my old Oppo DV971H).
Do have my trusty old analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Works wonders.

Thanks again
A slightly less confused Roopster
Roopster is offline  
post #2864 of 5487 Old 01-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Incoming

Hi guys

Really excited here I pulled the trigger on supersat 60s for l/r/c
Supersat 3s for a rears and a forcefield 5 sub. Just waiting for them to ship...

It will be driven by an integra 40.5 and surrounding a nice 80 inch tv.
The room is fairly large and a sitting position of about 16 feet straight from center of the tv. The speakers will be placed wide but centered I believe about 8 feet apart. We made the decision on various factors:1. Form factor. They are on wall and offer a low profile. 2. When auditioning these against b&w and Martin Logan equivalent we thought there was a trick being played on us on how vastly superior a pair of supersat 50s sounded. 3. Price fit the budget spot on.

I'm excited and nervous on how they will sound in our family room.
It's such a large room. Currently I have some older klipsch rf-35 iis and I feel they are adequate. I am hoping to get superior clarity and cleaner sound with these guys and that forcefield 5 should add some awesome lower response.

Here are my questions..How do people feel about the flat keyhole mount option? Will the inability to toe in the speakers impact our setup? How hard is it to get a good snug fit?


Btw my guess for 2015. Maybe some revamping of supersat with maybe a dipole or something around atmos?

Something crazy would a step into electronics be too far away? Building goldenear amps? That's a long shot crazy man idea but would be interesting.
Icharis is offline  
post #2865 of 5487 Old 01-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
dscottj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I thought the keyhole thing was a bit of a pain, since it doesn't give as much "wiggle room" for mistakes as other mounting systems I've used over the years. That said, it's well-known around my house that I am not the handiest person in the world. Someone with more patience/skill likely will have no problem. Once I finally managed to get the distance & placement right, they fit plenty snug and look great.

Precisely because it's "just a keyhole mount," I would think it possible to either find or build brackets that would allow you to toe-in the speakers to whatever angle you like. I'm also of the opinion that toe-in is not as critical as it's made out to be, especially if you're mostly listening to multi-channel sources. But again, that's just my opinion.

As far as a 2015 prediction: Powered sound bars and upward-firing speakers engineered to fit on top of Trition towers. It's just a guess, though.
dscottj is offline  
post #2866 of 5487 Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 AM
Member
 
lungs414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Soundbar question

I am probably going with the soundbar. The room is approx. 20x18x10. The side walls are 2x3 construction, and I want inwall speakers. I did a little research and found Polk RC65i's that are shallow enough to fit. Any others that might fit?

Thanks
Rich
lungs414 is offline  
post #2867 of 5487 Old 01-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Member
 
godeacs94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cashville, TN
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for a little advice/assistance. Had to purchase a new AVR (Denon x5200) and now have the speaker upgrade bug after a relatively calm 7-8 years .

Currently have 7.1 system with Ascend Classic speakers all around, but surrounds are mounted high as was the trend several years ago.

Would like to upgrade to Atmos/3D sound setup and considering GE speakers. Have already auditioned the T2s, SCXL, and SS50s, loved the sound of the T2s!

Since i will have to move my surround positions anyway, I am torn as to whether I should go 5.1.4 or 7.1.4, roughly same price point either way.

5.1.4 with T2 fronts, SCXL, T3 surrounds, and 4 x Invisa 7000s (Atmos heights)
Or
7.1.4 with T2 fronts, SCXL, 4 x SS50 side and back, 4x Invisa 7000 (Atmos).

I have a HSU sub that I may keep around, but if I go with 5.1.4 option I probably won't need it.

Sandy used 5.1.4 in his Atmos reference, so kinda leaking that way.

Suggestions appreciated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
godeacs94 is offline  
post #2868 of 5487 Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
ronin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

An easy way to see if the position is right is to get some twine and see if there is an equilateral triangle formed from the MLP outward. Perhaps the toe-in is slightly too much and this is why when you move forward you are hearing cleaner vocals?? Also are the speakers close to a side wall? if so then you may need to bring them out from the side wall a bit. I am about 22 inches from my side wall and like that performance. I don't get a whole lot of re-enforcement from the side wall, which is what i like.

hope this helps SD
Yes I have read that they should be out from the walls a bit. Mine are about a foot and a half from the back wall and the left one is about 16 inches off the side wall at its closest point but the right one is only about 7 inches off the side wall which is actually a pillar that separates the two rooms. Unfortunately I can't move them that much more away from the sides do to room constraints but I'll have to play around with the toe in to see if that changes things.

I'll turn off the auddessy controls as you suggested to get an idea of what it sounds like. Thanks, appreciate it
ronin22 is offline  
post #2869 of 5487 Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Member
 
aaks38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Springfield, VA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone know how ge specs their speakers in the sense that the sat50/60 is supposed to have a 4.5" mid driver when I measure about 3.5 from the outermost part of the surround. Subsequently I'm noticing the bass performance of my sat 60c is pretty bad as my denon wants to crossover the center at 150 hz. Seems like ge's specs are misleading
aaks38 is offline  
post #2870 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ChicagoChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I thought the keyhole thing was a bit of a pain, since it doesn't give as much "wiggle room" for mistakes as other mounting systems I've used over the years. That said, it's well-known around my house that I am not the handiest person in the world. Someone with more patience/skill likely will have no problem. Once I finally managed to get the distance & placement right, they fit plenty snug and look great.

Precisely because it's "just a keyhole mount," I would think it possible to either find or build brackets that would allow you to toe-in the speakers to whatever angle you like. I'm also of the opinion that toe-in is not as critical as it's made out to be, especially if you're mostly listening to multi-channel sources. But again, that's just my opinion.

As far as a 2015 prediction: Powered sound bars and upward-firing speakers engineered to fit on top of Trition towers. It's just a guess, though.
They dont offer much if any wiggle room as they are keyholed. You really cant angle them at all. I have them flush on the wall and Auddesey calibrated and they sound very good. They key is to use the mount templates that they provide to make sure they are lined up correctly leveled etc.
ChicagoChris is offline  
post #2871 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Member
 
OldZorki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post

As far as a 2015 prediction: Powered sound bars and upward-firing speakers engineered to fit on top of Trition towers. It's just a guess, though.
And hopefully custom coloured "socks"
OldZorki is offline  
post #2872 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roopster View Post
Sonic debauchery,
Thanks for the inputs. I am going to look more at the Anthem MRX-710 or maybe a used D2V 3D if I can find one
Yamaha package sounds interesting. Will have to look into that combo.
Some networking features are important to me as have moved almost completely to all media on a NAS (since 2008), so do need the media player functionality maybe with a good external DAC. or look at the Oppo 103 / 105 players (Sold my old Oppo DV971H).
Do have my trusty old analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Works wonders.

Thanks again
A slightly less confused Roopster
Look at the MRX 510, only difference is 20 watts, for a whole lot more dough.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2873 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaks38 View Post
Anyone know how ge specs their speakers in the sense that the sat50/60 is supposed to have a 4.5" mid driver when I measure about 3.5 from the outermost part of the surround. Subsequently I'm noticing the bass performance of my sat 60c is pretty bad as my denon wants to crossover the center at 150 hz. Seems like ge's specs are misleading
Spec'd in chamber. Should crossover around 100hz.
Manual pg13.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2874 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Member
 
seantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like that article I found a few weeks ago was only partially right. There is a new super sub xxl but also a surprise announcement of a triton 5 judging by this link: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CES_201...2015/page4.htm

Seems like the triton 5 has 6" driver instead of the 5-1/4˝ that the triton 7 has and 4 bass radiators instead of only 2 like on 7. Also seems like the bass radiators seem round rather than the more squared off ones on the rest of the lineup. I can't wait to hear impressions from the people that are there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden_Ear_SuperSub_XXL.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	461033   Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldenEar_Triton_Five_Tower.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	461041  
bcms6 and sonic debauchery like this.
seantos is offline  
post #2875 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icharis View Post
Hi guys

Really excited here I pulled the trigger on supersat 60s for l/r/c
Supersat 3s for a rears and a forcefield 5 sub. Just waiting for them to ship...

It will be driven by an integra 40.5 and surrounding a nice 80 inch tv.
The room is fairly large and a sitting position of about 16 feet straight from center of the tv. The speakers will be placed wide but centered I believe about 8 feet apart. We made the decision on various factors:1. Form factor. They are on wall and offer a low profile. 2. When auditioning these against b&w and Martin Logan equivalent we thought there was a trick being played on us on how vastly superior a pair of supersat 50s sounded. 3. Price fit the budget spot on.

I'm excited and nervous on how they will sound in our family room.
It's such a large room. Currently I have some older klipsch rf-35 iis and I feel they are adequate. I am hoping to get superior clarity and cleaner sound with these guys and that forcefield 5 should add some awesome lower response.

Here are my questions..How do people feel about the flat keyhole mount option? Will the inability to toe in the speakers impact our setup? How hard is it to get a good snug fit?


Btw my guess for 2015. Maybe some revamping of supersat with maybe a dipole or something around atmos?

Something crazy would a step into electronics be too far away? Building goldenear amps? That's a long shot crazy man idea but would be interesting.
If they don't have to be flat against the wall there are aftermarket mounts that let you articulate the speakers.

As an example....http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Goldenear Amps would be market leaders if they are ever created??
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2876 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by godeacs94 View Post
Looking for a little advice/assistance. Had to purchase a new AVR (Denon x5200) and now have the speaker upgrade bug after a relatively calm 7-8 years .

Currently have 7.1 system with Ascend Classic speakers all around, but surrounds are mounted high as was the trend several years ago.

Would like to upgrade to Atmos/3D sound setup and considering GE speakers. Have already auditioned the T2s, SCXL, and SS50s, loved the sound of the T2s!

Since i will have to move my surround positions anyway, I am torn as to whether I should go 5.1.4 or 7.1.4, roughly same price point either way.

5.1.4 with T2 fronts, SCXL, T3 surrounds, and 4 x Invisa 7000s (Atmos heights)
Or
7.1.4 with T2 fronts, SCXL, 4 x SS50 side and back, 4x Invisa 7000 (Atmos).

I have a HSU sub that I may keep around, but if I go with 5.1.4 option I probably won't need it.

Sandy used 5.1.4 in his Atmos reference, so kinda leaking that way.

Suggestions appreciated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the 5.1.4 option with higher quality Triton Line and 4 Invisia 7000's is my vote.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #2877 of 5487 Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Member
 
godeacs94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cashville, TN
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
the 5.1.4 option with higher quality Triton Line and 4 Invisia 7000's is my vote.

Thanks, I am certainly leaning that way, may go ahead and throw the sides on there anyway, because hey, its only money, right?
godeacs94 is offline  
post #2878 of 5487 Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Pelly_NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Pelly_NV is offline  
post #2879 of 5487 Old 01-06-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Veda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Great now I just need to find out whether the Five is just a Seven with greater bass extension or if the mid and high are also different. Then we may just part with the 2 months old Seven...
Veda is offline  
post #2880 of 5487 Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
dscottj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I think it'll be more complicated than that. IMO, they've pulled apart a Triton One, and then applied the lessons they learned to make the Five better, within its limitations.

We don't have a price point yet, but I wonder what this will do for the Triton Three.
dscottj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off