GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 823Likes

post #2881 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
the 5.1.4 option with higher quality Triton Line and 4 Invisia 7000's is my vote.
With the introduction of the Triton 5, I can't help but wonder if you would get superior imaging than the Triton 3? The bass response looks to be 5 hz higher on the T5 which is not that noticeable.

Waiting to see what price is???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
With the introduction of the Triton 5, I can't help but wonder if you would get superior imaging than the Triton 3? The bass response looks to be 5 hz higher on the T5 which is not that noticeable.

Waiting to see what price is???
The Triton Five will cost $999 each and should be available in March.
post #2883 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Not sure I want to wait that long. It seems from what I have read here and elsewhere, the T3s are maybe the step-child of the line? Most prefer the T7 in reviews... I liked the threes when I auditioned, but didn't spend nearly as much time with them as the twos.

I still think the built in SW of the threes would help even out LF response in conjunction with the Twos as mains.

That said, cant wait to hear the fives, curious about the bigger midrange drivers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by godeacs94 View Post
Not sure I want to wait that long. It seems from what I have read here and elsewhere, the T3s are maybe the step-child of the line? Most prefer the T7 in reviews... I liked the threes when I auditioned, but didn't spend nearly as much time with them as the twos.

I still think the built in SW of the threes would help even out LF response in conjunction with the Twos as mains.

That said, cant wait to hear the fives, curious about the bigger midrange drivers, etc.
Given the new features borrowed from the Triton 1 and the improvements over the absolutely-loved Triton 7, I'd just keep that HSU sub and grab the Triton 5s over the 3's without a second thought.
post #2885 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Speaker Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Wow 85 on the SW sounds like a lot. I always thought alll speakers should be calibrated to the same level at around 75 with the sub possibly a little less. Obviously Sandy knows what he's talking about but did he give any reasons why 85?

I don't know if I can do movies without audessey since I'm in an apartment I use the dynamic volume to bring up vocals while keeping the loud parts under control, still I have to use low frequency containment to keep the bass pulled back. I don't use audessy for two channel music though and have calibrated it with and spl to 75db. I actually calibrated the gain dial on the ones this way. I unplugged one speaker and ran the test tone to calibrate to 75 then pugged the speaker back in but unplugged the speaker wires and ran the LFE test tone and turn the knob until around 77 db the dial ended up being at the almost 10 o'clock position. I did this for the other speaker as well and that one the dial ended up at the 11 o'clock position. I think the difference is due to the fact that that speaker sits right next to another open room so I think I lose some bass energy.

I have a question on toeing in and position. My speakers are about 9 feet apart and 10 feet from the listening position. I have toed in a little, not directly at the ears but aiming at the outsides of my shoulders. When I listen to music if I lean my upper body forward about 6 inches and up 2 inches the vocals change a bit. They get a little cleaner.
I know that a lot of things that effect sound but does this suggest that I should space the speaker out further or toe them out more? Maybe neither of those? Just trying to fine tune these

It would be awesome if Goldenear had a service where you can schedule someone from their company to come to your house to help you adjust
Hi, I like the speakers wide apart and toe'd in right at the ears. This is my personal like, but everyone has their own. In your case, I would move them a foot or two further apart and toe them in more, so you just can't see the surface of the inside cabinet wall. In terms of a service where GoldenEar sent someone in to help with setup, this would be logistically rather difficult. Theoretically, your dealer should be able to provide this service. All the Best, Sandy
post #2886 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Grille Socks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldZorki View Post
Glad I found this thread, as on GoldenEar site I was not able to get answer.
I am planning HT in my new house and looking to get Triton 1s, SC-X and bunch of Invisa speakers for ceiling, surround, etc.
My concern is Triton "sock". You know, WAF and so on - big black towers are not necessary good match with any home decor.. ))
So I wonder if anyone experimented with painting or bleaching Triton cloth. White or another color will be nice ))).
Also how strong are those "cloth" covers and how tey withstand pet attacks? Does GE sell replacement in a case original sock is damaged?
Hi, Surprisingly, the cats seem to ignore the grilles, at least in most cases. We chose black because in most cases, it is pretty neutral and goes with everything. We do sell replacement socks. If you are looking for another color, you would have to choose some acoustically appropriate cloth, and have a tailor sew them up, which can definitely be done. The issue with white, is when you put it on the black cabinet, since it is somewhat transparent, it ends up somewhat grey. Also, it gets dirty easily. All the Best, Sandy
post #2887 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Surprisingly, the cats seem to ignore the grilles, at least in most cases. We chose black because in most cases, it is pretty neutral and goes with everything. We do sell replacement socks. If you are looking for another color, you would have to choose some acoustically appropriate cloth, and have a tailor sew them up, which can definitely be done. The issue with white, is when you put it on the black cabinet, since it is somewhat transparent, it ends up somewhat grey. Also, it gets dirty easily. All the Best, Sandy
Thank you for a reply, availability of replacement socks is a great relief.
I wonder if someone ever try to bleach/die existing sock, as choosing cloth and tailor looks a bit complex, especially without blueprint of the sock.
I guess I will go with black (after convincing my spouse, who love our existing burgundy color Gershman Acoustics speakers) and hope that eventually GE will start selling colored replacement cloth.
post #2888 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post
Given the new features borrowed from the Triton 1 and the improvements over the absolutely-loved Triton 7, I'd just keep that HSU sub and grab the Triton 5s over the 3's without a second thought.
This is direction I really plan on taking...
As much as I wanted the Ones I just couldn't justify the cost, plus with my HSU didn't really think I need that much bass out of my Towers. I had decided to grab the Sevens and a Super Center XL.
Now after hearing about the Fives really excited to move in that direction.
sonic debauchery likes this.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
AUDIO: Yamaha CX-A5200 * Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2889 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
http://www.cepro.com/article/goldene..._supersub_xxl/

I would absolutely love to compare the Triton Five + SuperSub XXL to a set of Triton Ones. Would be interesting to see this new $4K combo battle the $5K flagship. Then again, I can't even imagine the combo of the Triton One + SuperSub XXL. LOL
post #2890 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I like the speakers wide apart and toe'd in right at the ears. This is my personal like, but everyone has their own. In your case, I would move them a foot or two further apart and toe them in more, so you just can't see the surface of the inside cabinet wall. In terms of a service where GoldenEar sent someone in to help with setup, this would be logistically rather difficult. Theoretically, your dealer should be able to provide this service. All the Best, Sandy

Thanks Sandy

Unfortunately I can't move them out that much as one of them is about 15 inches out and the other about 7 from the side walls. I'll have to play with the toe in a bit and see if that helps unless there is something else I can try? They sound fantastic and I'm really enjoying them just fine tuning.

Understood on the sending someone out and that's why we have great boards like this to come too and are lucky enough to have you pop in from time to time.
post #2891 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChris View Post
Thanks
post #2892 of 5487 Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 94
$500 (25%) difference only from the Seven... I assume most people with flock to the Five. More bass + newer tech...
post #2893 of 5487 Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
This is direction I really plan on taking...
As much as I wanted the Ones I just couldn't justify the cost, plus with my HSU didn't really think I need that much bass out of my Towers. I had decided to grab the Sevens and a Super Center XL.
Now after hearing about the Fives really excited to move in that direction.
So you are giving up on your pursuit of the Ones?
post #2894 of 5487 Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
So you are giving up on your pursuit of the Ones?
I was before I even heard about the Fives. As much as I wanted them I finally decided I just couldn't justify the cost. It would have been different if was coming from some HT in a box but I wasn't so I knew I want the GE sound again just on a smaller $.

VIDEO: Epson 5050UB * SeymourAV CenterStage XD 137.7" * Samsung UBD-M9500 * Nvidia Shield * HTPC * Xbox OneX * URC MX-990
SPEAKERS: PSA MTM-210T L/C/R * PSA MTM-110 (2) Surrounds * S2(4) Atmos * HSU VTF-3MK4
post #2895 of 5487 Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So I have an unboxing video but I cant put up a post because my count is too low... kind of stinks...
post #2896 of 5487 Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icharis View Post
So I have an unboxing video but I cant put up a post because my count is too low... kind of stinks...
youtube?

post #2897 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 AM

Just received new issue of Stereophile, with a glowing review of Triton 1. One interesting tidbit - according John Atkinson measurements due to 1176Hz suckout 10 degrees above the tweeter axis and advising that listeners better be within 5 degree window of tweeter axis (40 inches from the floor). At 12 feet from the speaker it accounts to approximately 30 to 50 inches from the floor. While perfect for coach listening, it may not be when you standing and playing air guitar . Wonder if Triton One owners experienced it or it is not very audible issue.
Comparing his measurements for Triton 2 looks like One is a bit more demanding of amp power, which is surprising.
Most of the measurements are outright spectacular. Good read.

Last edited by OldZorki; 01-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
post #2898 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
youtube?
its on youtube but it wont let me post the link on AVS

wellt his is post 3 so :-) so 2 more replies.
post #2899 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icharis View Post
its on youtube but it wont let me post the link on AVS

wellt his is post 3 so :-) so 2 more replies.
You can PM it...

post #2900 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Just received new issue of Stereophile, with a glowing review of Triton 1. One interesting tidbit - according John Atkinson measurements due to 1176Hz suckout 10 degrees above the tweeter axis and advising that listeners better be within 5 degree window of tweeter axis (40 inches from the floor). At 12 feet from the speaker it accounts to approximately 30 to 50 inches from the floor. While perfect for coach listening, it may not be when you standing and playing air guitar . Wonder if Triton One owners experienced it or it is not very audible issue.
Comparing his measurements for Triton 2 looks like One is a bit more demanding of amp power, which is surprising.
Most of the measurements are outright spectacular. Good read.
OldZorki,

We found the Triton 1's sound best in our room with them toed in so that you can just see the inside edge of the speaker, that way the speakers are directly pointed at the sweet spots listeners ears (left speaker pointed directly to the left ear... and so on). At first they seem to look like they were toed in to far, but with all our fiddling this makes them sing.

My air guitar has been in the shop for a few decades LOL, but IMHO there is only one true sweet spot with any high end stereo system.

Hope this helps,
Steve609
post #2901 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post
OldZorki,

We found the Triton 1's sound best in our room with them toed in so that you can just see the inside edge of the speaker, that way the speakers are directly pointed at the sweet spots listeners ears (left speaker pointed directly to the left ear... and so on). At first they seem to look like they were toed in to far, but with all our fiddling this makes them sing.

My air guitar has been in the shop for a few decades LOL, but IMHO there is only one true sweet spot with any high end stereo system.

Hope this helps,
Steve609
Steve, this is probably true to almost every speaker I own - but the question I have is a bit different - have anyone tried to change an twitter axis vertically, i.e. point speakers slightly up (so they lean a little back, for example via putting something under front feet ). Unless I misunderstood your explanation.
post #2902 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Steve, this is probably true to almost every speaker I own - but the question I have is a bit different - have anyone tried to change an twitter axis vertically, i.e. point speakers slightly up (so they lean a little back, for example via putting something under front feet ). Unless I misunderstood your explanation.
OldZorki,

As a matter of fact we put a quarter or two under the front spikes to see if there was an audible difference, and we found none.

Steve609

Last edited by Steve609; 01-10-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #2903 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I am in need of some opinions on amplification my atmos set-up I am doing. I have an existing 5.1 room with a family of dynaudio speakers driven by a parasound halo amp that work very well together with plenty of power and sound very nice.

I am adding two golden ear mpx sides and four htr 7000 in my ceiling to upgrade to a 7.1.4 room. I need to add a seven channel amp. Well really six but seven channel amps are more prevelant. I do not want to spend a fortune but want good clean power with plenty of headroom. I am thinking about an outlaw 7 channel that is 105 watts into 8 ohms or a marantz the is 150 into 8 ohms. The outlaw is a grnd and the marantz is a few hundred more. Are these amps appropriate in a medium sized room or are they overkill?? Any other suggestions?? I thought about a digital amp but know little about if they are sonically up to the task?

I look forward to a point in the right direction and opinions.

Last edited by Minge; 01-11-2015 at 05:35 AM.
post #2904 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It's funny you mention that because in the article from stereophile it does say that one of the adjustments Sandy made to the speakers during set up was to use the spikes at the back of the speaker and using the rubber feet on the front which would give a little tilt forward of the speaker but it doesn't state exactly why this was done. I'm guessing it was because maybe the main listening position was a little low in relation to the tweeter? Don't know though I'm thinking on giving it a try to see if I can notice any difference
post #2905 of 5487 Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It's funny you mention that because in the article from stereophile it does say that one of the adjustments Sandy made to the speakers during set up was to use the spikes at the back of the speaker and using the rubber feet on the front which would give a little tilt forward of the speaker but it doesn't state exactly why this was done. I'm guessing it was because maybe the main listening position was a little low in relation to the tweeter? Don't know though I'm thinking on giving it a try to see if I can notice any difference
ronin22,

We put two quarters under the rear spikes to see if there was an audible difference, and we found that adjustment made things better! Our sweet spot seat is 11.5 feet in front at a height of 37" to ear level.

Tomorrow, we'll try rubber in the front and spikes in the rear.

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve609
post #2906 of 5487 Old 01-11-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
ronin22,

We put two quarters under the rear spikes to see if there was an audible difference, and we found that adjustment made things better! Our sweet spot seat is 11.5 feet in front at a height of 37" to ear level.

Tomorrow, we'll try rubber in the front and spikes in the rear.

Thanks for the heads up!

Steve609
Interesting.
2 quarters are approximately 0.14 inch thick. Assuming base of Triton 1 12 inches (not a a full depth, but distance between feet), if you are 11.5 feet from a speaker, 2 quarters will lower tweeter axis by 1.4 inches at your seating position (from approx 40 to 38.5). Fascinating how sensitive our ears to such small change.
On my existing speakers I was ale to get audible effect only when tweeter axis at listening position was moved more then 5-7 inch. Actually, recalculated - 4

Last edited by OldZorki; 01-11-2015 at 02:05 AM.
post #2907 of 5487 Old 01-11-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Interesting.
2 quarters are approximately 0.14 inch thick. Assuming base of Triton 1 12 inches (not a a full depth, but distance between feet), if you are 11.5 feet from a speaker, 2 quarters will lower tweeter axis by 1.4 inches at your seating position (from approx 40 to 38.5). Fascinating how sensitive our ears to such small change.
On my existing speakers I was ale to get audible effect only when tweeter axis at listening position was moved more then 5-7 inch. Actually, recalculated - 4
This is what we found with our set up:

2 quarters (approximately .14 inches) under the rear spikes made things sound better, so we put the rubber inserts in the front and the spikes in the rear, making the rear of the speaker approximately 1" higher than the front and as my wife said "now that made a marked improvement".

Once again, Sandy was dead on.

Try it, you might like it!

Last edited by Steve609; 01-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.
post #2908 of 5487 Old 01-11-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
This is what we found with our set up:

2 quarters (approximately .14 inches) under the rear spikes made things sound better, so we put the rubber inserts in the front and the spikes in the rear, making the rear of the speaker approximately 1" higher than the front and as my wife said "now that made a marked improvement".

Once again, Sandy was dead on.

Try it, you might like it!
Wow cool.. Can you describe what improvements you heard?

I haven't had a chance to try this out but guessing I should hear a difference considering I'm 10 feet away from them but my ears are at 34 inches off the ground which is about 6 inches lower than the tweeters.
Just curious did you use the "dimes" under the spikes or spikes alone?
post #2909 of 5487 Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I haven't had a chance to try this out but guessing I should hear a difference considering I'm 10 feet away from them but my ears are at 34 inches off the ground which is about 6 inches lower than the tweeters.
We used the "dimes".
post #2910 of 5487 Old 01-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Better imaging, especially vocals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page