official danley sound labs thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #61 of 450 Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I really can't go in depth on the sound of these speakers until I can get them in a well treated room and actually spend some time setting them up. But last night a buddy came over to help me inbox the 100Bs. We just had them setting on the floor with some toe in.

They are in a word amazing! Dynamics were limitless, mid bass and bass were better than my LS9s (one of my big holdups of selling them). Everything just seems so coherent.

Will post some pics of the 100Bs today. They are big, bigger than I thought that'd be from the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 450 Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
First of all contrats on your new speakers - I'm sure that you'll have many years of personal satisfaction. To me most speakers look larger in life than what I expected. The SH-50's for example are a 28" square so I know how big they SHOULD look. That's why I was so surprised as to how big they looked when I first saw them in the Danley demo room. The same thing happened when my Cat12's were first setup - they looked massive.
Dbuudo07 likes this.

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #63 of 450 Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

I really can't go in depth on the sound of these speakers until I can get them in a well treated room and actually spend some time setting them up. But last night a buddy came over to help me inbox the 100Bs. We just had them setting on the floor with some toe in.

They are in a word amazing! Dynamics were limitless, mid bass and bass were better than my LS9s (one of my big holdups of selling them). Everything just seems so coherent.

Will post some pics of the 100Bs today. They are big, bigger than I thought that'd be from the pictures.
I hate you. How much? A lot. A whole lot.tongue.gif

Television: Vizio E70iA3
Processor: Emotiva MC700
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 2200 LR Sub: Danley DTS-10Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 450 Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Congrats on the system Mcallister. I knew you would like it! I will definitely miss that system but it simply would not work in my main house and the theater building is being turned into a rental property. The SH-100B is one of the unsung Danley heroes in my mind. Exceptionally coherent and dynamic and able to fit into so many different setups. Wait until you get a load of the midbass dynamics on that thing on a soundtrack! Having been out of the CE biz for a while now, I don't know what Danley's current offerings are, but I do know that after 30 years of designing Home theater systems all over the world, the quest finally came to an end for me with Danley. Will I end up getting another Danley setup? Probably. Won't take long for the bug to hit hard again...after all, there is a room in the house and it has no system...
Dbuudo07 likes this.
post #65 of 450 Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Liked: 10
finally....someone who owns the SH-100B's (now mysteriously referred to on the Danley website as SM-100B) i can imagine how difficult it can be be, but would you please attempt to provide a more comprehensive description of your experience with these?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post

I'm joining the Danley club. I'm buying funfalwarriors danley system listed in the classifieds. They should arrive Friday, unfortunately I just sold my house and am waiting to move and build a dedicated theater room which will house the Danleys,

The system will consist of all Active speakers, 3 SH100B for LCR, 4 SH100 for surrounds, 3 custom seaton subs, and 2 Danley DTS10s.

I'm coming from 3 GR Research LS9 line arrays for LCR and N3S for surrounds and am really looking forward to comparing the Danleys.

Will post pics when they arrive and initial impressions in a not so friendly room setup until my theater room is finished.
post #66 of 450 Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got into my new house and have the 100Bs in a temporary setup while I build in a dedicated, isolated theater room.

Because all the speakers are active I have lots of stuff to do to be able to run the whole system luckily my brother in law is a handy man. I'm sure he hates me right now.

I will still get a little further in depth after some more listening. Ill repeat what I mentioned before these speakers reproduce everything that was recorded phenomenally. Each track can be clearly distinguished, hearing different guitar overdubs, effects, vocal harmonies and more is just absurdly well done. Very very revealing of the source.

Right now I'm just running straight from the XLR outputs of an Oppo BDP-95 to the 100B inputs. I really wish I wouldn't have sold my wyred 4 sound STP-SE so I could see what that can do.

I have some pics ill try to post.

Also real quick scenario of the room. Opened up on the left side where ill be building the dedicated room. Wall behind the front stage is completely filled with GIK 244 panels and tri trap in the corner.

On the right side wall I have 7 242s to try and soak up reflections to mimic the open side of the room.

Behind the listening position are 1 GIK monster trap, 5 242s and tri traps.

post #67 of 450 Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5771 Post(s)
Liked: 5625
Well i just got my new SM60F's installed and measured out last night. Man, these things are incredible. Here is few graphs of their response. I have never seen anything so flat out of the box, but audyssey does a great job cleaning it up to pretty much the most perfect I have heard thus far in my short HT career!!!!!

Re-diculous
ZeGhostbear likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #68 of 450 Old 07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Holy crap that's flatter than a 12 year old anorexic!

post #69 of 450 Old 07-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13411 Post(s)
Liked: 11053
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Well i just got my new SM60F's installed and measured out last night. Man, these things are incredible. Here is few graphs of their response. I have never seen anything so flat out of the box, but audyssey does a great job cleaning it up to pretty much the most perfect I have heard thus far in my short HT career!!!!!

Re-diculous

Beast, I did not know that you were getting these. I have looked at them for a long time. All of the older stuff was too big and by the time they started making the newer stuff, i had already switched to a scope AT screen, so now the new, smaller speakers are too big for my room. Does not keep me from looking and contemplating them. smile.gif
post #70 of 450 Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
looks good!

What subs are you crossing them to?
post #71 of 450 Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Liked: 11
I've known Danley for quite some time in the pro audio world for subs particularly. Seems they've revamped their HT speakers to be more reasonably sized. Any one here using their subs? They had some really amazing subs when I heard them at their trade show listening booth a few years ago.
post #72 of 450 Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Re-diculous

Congrats on your purchase. I've heard these gems in Danley's demo room last year and I'm looking forward to your comments once you have your SM60F's dialled in.

-- Bill --

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #73 of 450 Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusproper View Post

finally....someone who owns the SH-100B's (now mysteriously referred to on the Danley website as SM-100B)***

Not that mysterious. I don't know if the old cabinets were all wood or if the horn part was always plastic, but it seems that "SH" means "Synergy (wood) Horn" and "SM" means "Synergy Molded-horn" in DSL nomenclature.

Quote:

Re-diculous

Impressive. Danley's reconceptualization of the concentric driver in the SM series is conceptually elegant and it looks like the performance is just as spectacular as the design. (Do you use Audyssey Pro? I ask because I don't see the typical Audyssey crappy speakers compensation midrange notch in your graphs.)

There are basically only two speakers left in the world that I really want to hear: the Danley SM's and Keele's CBT. Your graphs make me really want to take a day off and drive up to Gainsville to hear them.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #74 of 450 Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklights View Post

I've known Danley for quite some time in the pro audio world for subs particularly. Seems they've revamped their HT speakers to be more reasonably sized. Any one here using their subs? They had some really amazing subs when I heard them at their trade show listening booth a few years ago.
I have a DTS-10, and it is the most amazing sub I've ever heard. It was flexing the walls of my old place so much that I had to keep fixing hairline cracks in the sheetrock.
Franklights likes this.

post #75 of 450 Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Beast, I did not know that you were getting these. I have looked at them for a long time. All of the older stuff was too big and by the time they started making the newer stuff, i had already switched to a scope AT screen, so now the new, smaller speakers are too big for my room. Does not keep me from looking and contemplating them. smile.gif

I didn't know I was getting them either until I realized there was a basically new pair selling on the classifieds biggrin.gif Got on em real quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

looks good!

8 Stereo Integrity 18's in sealed boxes. unfortunately right now, there are only 4 in, but the bass is still prodigious!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Not that mysterious. I don't know if the old cabinets were all wood or if the horn part was always plastic, but it seems that "SH" means "Synergy (wood) Horn" and "SM" means "Synergy Molded-horn" in DSL nomenclature.
Impressive. Danley's reconceptualization of the concentric driver in the SM series is conceptually elegant and it looks like the performance is just as spectacular as the design. (Do you use Audyssey Pro? I ask because I don't see the typical Audyssey crappy speakers compensation midrange notch in your graphs.)

There are basically only two speakers left in the world that I really want to hear: the Danley SM's and Keele's CBT. Your graphs make me really want to take a day off and drive up to Gainsville to hear them.

I have spoken with the guys at Danley and mentioned I would like to take a day trip down there in the very near future. Perhaps we can schedule it up for the same time. I only have audyssey xt32 atm, but with three different sets of speakers being tested, and I have yet to see that midrange notch, however my room is extensively treated, so that helps a lot.

Bill,

Man these things are incredible so far, but I have a lot more to listen to before I can give a full review. So far that have impressed me beyond belief. I can't imagine what improvements the sh50's could have over these, but I trust your ears about as much as I do mine so I believe you that they are an improvement.

post #76 of 450 Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Bill,

Man these things are incredible so far, but I have a lot more to listen to before I can give a full review. So far that have impressed me beyond belief. I can't imagine what improvements the sh50's could have over these, but I trust your ears about as much as I do mine so I believe you that they are an improvement.

Take your time and throw everything (music & movies) that you have at them. I suspect that the longer that you own them, the more you will appreciate their sound signature and elegance. The SH50's are VERY similar but a little more refined, IMO. Both speakers also produce an OUTSTANDING soundstage, again IMO. Of course the downside of the SH50's is their additional cost, size, and weight.

I'm reasonably confident that you will be keeping these for a while. biggrin.gif

-- Bill --

Cheers!
-- Bill --
post #77 of 450 Old 07-14-2013, 06:25 PM

agreed for sure smile.gif I listened at some pretty high levels last night and they just took everything I threw at them...

post #78 of 450 Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM

So even though I have updated my avatar pic to the new setup, here it is for the thread too biggrin.gif

ellisr63 likes this.

post #79 of 450 Old 08-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That looks great, Beast!

I have similar subwoofer enclosures with approx. the same placement and envisioned that how Danley's would look in my setup.
post #80 of 450 Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:

So even though I have updated my avatar pic to the new setup, here it is for the thread too biggrin.gif

That looks like a nice setup Beast, how come you didn't go with three Danley's across the front?
post #81 of 450 Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinculum View Post

That looks great, Beast!

I have similar subwoofer enclosures with approx. the same placement and envisioned that how Danley's would look in my setup.

Well, now you know!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

That looks like a nice setup Beast, how come you didn't go with three Danley's across the front?

Um, dude was only selling two. Haha!!! I feel like these will only be around long enough for me to sell off the other stuff I have laying around and buy a full LCR of the SH50's. That right there is the end game for me man. Without a doubt. If not, I will have a third for the center

post #82 of 450 Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM

I shot a video of some Danley speakers at an old theater that has been turned into a dance club. Thought you might like to hear some of their new subs. They only go down to 35hz but they do it with authority. I shot this with a stereo mic on my camera so you could sort of experience what was happening in the room. Two SH96HO's and two BC415's fed by DSL rack mount processor and four new DSL 12k amps. Please comment.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUTaos5EsY
post #83 of 450 Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM

post #84 of 450 Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Um, dude was only selling two. Haha!!! I feel like these will only be around long enough for me to sell off the other stuff I have laying around and buy a full LCR of the SH50's. That right there is the end game for me man. Without a doubt. If not, I will have a third for the center

I've also got a set of L/C/R SM60F, and it was a toss-up between the SEOS AE TD15 at the time. How do you compare them to the SEOS / AE setup? Should I be happy I went with the Danleys?

I still haven't gotten any room treatments in, but I just now finally got my (8) IXL18.4 IB installed a few months ago. Sounds great, but I'm hoping I'll see some improvements with corner traps, 1st reflection, and front wall room treatments.

Did you ever listen to your SM60F with the acoustic panels not set up? Notice any significant difference?

Congrats on your system. I'll bet it sounds fantastic.
post #85 of 450 Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonL View Post

looks good!

Hey Wilson I finally got my subs installed -- would you like to come over some time and have a listen? drop me a PM...
post #86 of 450 Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjones View Post

I've also got a set of L/C/R SM60F, and it was a toss-up between the SEOS AE TD15 at the time. How do you compare them to the SEOS / AE setup? Should I be happy I went with the Danleys?

I still haven't gotten any room treatments in, but I just now finally got my (8) IXL18.4 IB installed a few months ago. Sounds great, but I'm hoping I'll see some improvements with corner traps, 1st reflection, and front wall room treatments.

Did you ever listen to your SM60F with the acoustic panels not set up? Notice any significant difference?

Man, you should see a huge improvement tackling the reflections of the mains. There was a significant difference in my system after handling them, especially with the impulse response. I just finished up doing some measurements last night after installing some additional insulation and replacing some of the drop ceiling panels with the ATS acoustic panels and the difference there was even more pronounced. Here are my latest graphs with full room treatments. I almost don't even need audyssey anymore which is something I would LOVE to get to.

Here is no Audyssey, left right and both at the same time

Here is with audyssey and the overlay of the no audyssey of both speakers from the above graph

post #87 of 450 Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacjones View Post

The SEOS are really nice no doubt, but they can't compare to the Danley's, they're in a whole other league.

post #88 of 450 Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Man, you should see a huge improvement tackling the reflections of the mains. There was a significant difference in my system after handling them, especially with the impulse response. I just finished up doing some measurements last night after installing some additional insulation and replacing some of the drop ceiling panels with the ATS acoustic panels and the difference there was even more pronounced. Here are my latest graphs with full room treatments. I almost don't even need audyssey anymore which is something I would LOVE to get to.
[/IMG]

Well I ran over to the HVAC supplier and picked up a 10-pack of Knauf 3# ecose panels yesterday, and temporarily set up a few last night and did notice an improvement. I covered an 8'x8' area on each sidewall with five panels per side. They are stood directly on the wall (not spaced a couple inches off the wall) so I will likely see additional improvements when they are permanently installed on 2" offset brackets. I didn't really think I'd see much of an improvement with sidewall treatments as the speakers were set up with coverage patterns to eliminate first reflection points, but it did improve things. I had quite a bit of slap echo which was greatly reduced.

I think I'll notice an even bigger difference if I treat the front wall of my oddly configured room. My room's main problem is that it is wider than it is long, but the rear wall has two very large "window" type openings and a large doorway in the rear wall opening to a highly reflective room behind the listening area. I was hoping the large openings (more than 50% of the rear wall is open) would trick the speakers into thinking the room was longer than it was wide. But it wouldn't solve the problem of the listening area being too "upfront". I think most of my reflection issues are coming off the rear wall(s) at different times, and then reflecting again off the front wall. Unfortunately the area behind the theater is going to be very difficult to treat -- lots of cabinetry, bare walls, doors, and hardwood floors/stairs going down to the main floor. I think I'm going to have to fully treat what is treatable on the actual rear wall of the theater as well to minimize rear reflections coming in out of time alignment with the two different rear walls in play.

Overall I'm still not happy with the way they are set up in-room. For theater it sounds great -- very dynamic and immersive -- but for music only certain types of music are enjoyable. Pink Floyd Money with saxophone is almost painful to the ears when the saxophone starts up. Maybe I'm just getting old and my ears are more sensitive to certain frequencies, but I used to really like that song. In fact I remember pretty much all classic rock sounding better on my large infinity 15" 3.5 way SM150 towers in my dorm room in college. I wish I had a better room layout, but I just don't. I'm hoping with enough room treatments and a proper audyssey XT32 recalibration with the room treatments in place and using the boom mic I just picked up I'll be able to listen to some of my old favorites again. If that doesn't do it, I'll just have to be content with having a dedicated theater, and pick up a nice pair of monitors and a rhythmik servo sub for listening to music in my office. I will say though that the Danley's smoke the Klipsch RF-83's and RC-64 I had in the theater before for both music and HT. No contest.

I was really hoping the coverage pattern of these speakers would overcome the shortcomings of the room layout, and in some ways they have, but just not for all types of music, for my ears. I realize much of this post might be more appropriate in a room acoustics thread, but I thought some prospective Danley owners might like to see some of the difficulties I've had with a difficult room. When I get some time I'll get some current pictures of the room and some measurements taken before and after room treatments and audyssey calibration, and post them here.

Thanks for your input -- it definitely stirred me to find my way over to the HVAC supply store and start treating the room!
post #89 of 450 Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Another issue you may be running into is what audyssey does to your response. You will notice on my graphs that the pre-audyssey response has a nice gradual decrease all the way down the FR spectrum. Most people naturally prefer this type of sound and many HT speakers are designed to reflect this.Tom and Ivan will even admit that at the moment all their designs are spec'd for large venue type applications and don't have the inherent slope found in HT designs. I think Tom even mentioned designing something around this concept in the near future but I don't know if that is still on the table. Back to my setup and graphs, I really enjoy the sound for music the best with Audyssey completely off at this point. I am also planning on copying over the EQ audyssey got last and manually bringing down the top end to about where it was beforehand. I have found in many cases that audyssey can easily make the sound be a little harsh in the top end, but my graphs certainly reflect exactly why smile.gif

post #90 of 450 Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got everything setup in a temporary room while building a dedicated theater room. I have an ear to ear grin each time I think about these speakers! I've owned a decent amount of quality speakers and heard many as well. I've owned infinity intermezzos, rocket rs1000s, Salk ht-3s, and GR Research LS9s. I can honestly say these are what I've been looking for, my dream speaker so to speak. I honestly don't see myself ever needing to upgrade, if if that bug comes the first thing that ill want to demo will be active SH50s or SH60s.

Listened the NIN Downward Spiral DVD-A this past weekend just to give a friend a demo of them and sat down for the whole album, amazing all the new details, effects, and subtleties I heard in the recording. Movies are also absolutely fantastic. Effortless, limitless dynamics, and can reveal what was intended in the recording.

One thing I really enjoy about them is they don't make bad recording sound as bad as what the salks or especially the LS9s did, yet they make good or great recordings sound better. So far I can't hear one thing they don't do well. Just amazed with these speakers. Im surprised that more people looking for new speakers even for just 2 channel audio don't consider Danleys. More hi end audio stores should really start carrying the line, in the custom finishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , D H Labs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page