Onix Electronics & Speakers thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 410
* Updated: 7/18/10 *

Updates:
7/18/10 - Updates sales people/areas - link
Sorry, we didn't do a very good job of updating that info, largely because we were sort of waiting to see what happened with what states went where.

If Mike would be so kind as to update the dealer info in post #3, Pennsylvania and Maryland are now part of my territory, (East Street Audio) Alabama and Florida have moved from Blue Shift Audio's territory to that of a new dealer, Engulf Audio, and Louisiana is now part of Phenomenhan AV's territory. The remaining states that used to be served by Calliope Home audio are in limbo, so any dealer can help people in those areas.

------------------------------------------
*Post #1 under construction*

Based on recent events and post (link) I thought it would be a good idea to start an Onix thread.

I like, many others, were first introduced to Onix as a name through the association with av123.
I met Mr. Pu at the Onix suite in the Venetian at CES 2009 and really liked the sound and style of the electronics and speakers.
av123 and Onix are no longer associated (see post #2).
The av123/Onix connection is only of historical significance now.
There are many Onix dealers now and I'm sure they would appreciate the breakaway from av123.
I have no financial association with Onix.

Per Hugh Nguyen's site:
"During the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) 2009, we were approached by Sound Art of China (SAC) to be their Onix North American distributor."

Index
- Onix & av123 are not the same (post #2)
- Onix Products
--- Speakers
--- Amplifiers
--- CD Players
- Onix N. American Dealers -- see post #3 below
- Onix origins/timeline - https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post18282013
- AVS Onix threads
--- Official Onix DAC25 Thread
--- Onix xcd99 thread
--- "Calling on all Onix Reference speaker owners" thread
- Other Onix threads/forums
--- Tweak City Audio (TCA) - "The Official Onix & Melody Thread"- link
--- TCAOnix/Melody thread with a lot of info: http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2619

Note: There are many other companies that have names similar to Onix
Official name: Onix of England
(I've also seen -- Onix Electronics Co, Ltd from England)

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

av123 and Onix are no longer associated

av123 forum (1-11-09 post #1)
AVS Link(3-7-10 in av123 thread)

Here are some of the old posts (and links) I dug up on...

Onix =/ (does not equal) av123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI
It's an interesting thread title since Onix is no longer owned/sold by av123.

There are threads at av123 and TCA discussing this.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil
um...what do you mean no longer sold by them? isn't the entire ROCKET line made with the "ONIX" name on them?

Quote:
Some links:

Most useful -- LINK - av123 thread I started with responses from MLS, etc.
forums -dot- av123 -dot- com/showthread.php?t=40343
replace -dot- with a "."

HTS thread (I started)

TCA general thread on av123 forum

New av123 forum site link - LINK
---------------------------------
MLS response (1-11-09) in first link thread above (post #38):
(bold added)
forums -dot- av123 -dot- com/showpost.php?p=722759&postcount=38
replace -dot- with a "."

"Good Afternoon...

Very basic reply for now - and perhaps later a more detailed one...

ONIX belongs to Mr. Pu - I am however 50% owner of this brand in America. Mr. Pu came to me some time back as he told me he wanted to sell his brand to a famous Chinese Company (yes, I know who it is - but I'm not saying as I promised I would not)... I told Pu he should do it - and forget about my ownership in the brand here... He should GO FOR IT...

ONIX is Mr. Pu's brand

Rocket is the property of av123 (always has been - always will be)...

Strata is the property of av123 - but we allowed SAC to build a special version with a second tweeter for their markets...

UL/UF - av123

I also completely agreed that we would not sell ONIX electronics this year... With the x-series electronics we are now in that market - and our focus will continue to be on x... We will also have our own CD Players this year - as well as our NMT (Network Media Tank)... We were owed some replacements and such - and that has been taken care of. There are a few pieces of business still open - but these will be closed off soon...

My best always to Pu and this brand...

The rest I'll leave for another time...

Best...

mls"

and

"Rocket boxes no longer have the ONIX logo - and they haven't had this for many months...

Best...

mls"

and

"Rocket II belong solely to av123 as do LS as noted above...

x-series is of course the property of av123...

RSL II is owned by 4 guys (I'm one of them)... [IMG]http://forums.**********/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Best...

mls"

and from me...

"In response to a post (now deleted?) commenting/asking about Onix England.

This is what is on the Onix catalog...

Onix England
Onix Electronics Co, Ltd from England"

Does that help.

-- Mike

PS - EDIT to delete broken (by AVS) links.
See link above and follow thread. post #38 is first MLS comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey9hound
No,
The links are broken.

Quote:
Argh.
I tried to delete and add ways to access links.
I did "cut and paste" some of the more pertinent stuff in case people didn't want to follow the thread and all the links.

Here is the main start of comments:
forums -dot- av123 -dot- com/showpost.php?p=722759&postcount=38
replace -dot- with a "."

Hopefully that now helps.
I do think this is of potential interest to people.

Mike

"To be clear and as far as I know, Onix is Mr. Pu's and Rockets is av123's.
There is NO Onix Rockets. "

From Tim Evans (wooferus @ AVS) 3-6-10:
Link

"And to take that a step further, just for the record, the rockets, the mini's, and everything X-series are AV123 owned designs and not Onix, despite the fact that the labels for a while said Onix. The reference series speakers, onix branded electronics, cables, and various onix branded accessories were and still are owned by Onix.

A lot of people have been confused primarily because AV123 called the rockets Onix Rockets for a while, but there are also a few who have x-series stuff that says Onix on the back. "

================
*EDIT*
FYI...av123 links may be down during the av123 site re-creation...

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #3 of 74 Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

From woofersus @ Tweak City Audio (TCA) Onix/Melody thread :

Personnel list:

Hugh Nguyen
North American Distributor: Onix and Melody
www.angelcityaudio.com
[email protected]

Summit Audio Video
Dealer for: California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Hawaii.
Owner: John Casler
www.summitaudiovideo.com
[email protected]

Skiing Ninja
Dealer for: Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, North Dakota, Nevada, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.
Owner: "A Ninja" / Sean Parque
www.skiingninja.com
[email protected]

Motor City Custom Audio
Dealer for: Canada. Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Iowa, and Michigan.
Owner: Kevin Taylor
[email protected]

Calliope Home Audio *NO LONGER*
Dealer for: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware.
Owner: Michael Bishop
www.CalliopeHomeAudio.com
[email protected]

Blue Shift Audio
Dealer for: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
Owner: Derek Wayland
www.blueshiftaudio.com
[email protected]

East Street Audio
Dealer for: West Virginia, Ohio, and Kentucky
*ADD: Pennsylvania, Maryland*
Owner: Tim Evans
www.EastStreetAudio.com
[email protected]

PhenomeNhan Audio Video
Dealer for: Texas, Louisiana
Owner: Nhan Hoang
www.phenomenhanav.com
[email protected]

Engulf Audio
Dealer for: Alabama, Florida
Owner: Robert Meeks
[email protected]

=============================================
EDIT: 7-18-10 (changes made)
- Sorry, we didn't do a very good job of updating that info, largely because we were sort of waiting to see what happened with what states went where.

If Mike would be so kind as to update the dealer info in post #3:
- Pennsylvania and Maryland are now part of my territory, (East Street Audio)
- Alabama and Florida have moved from Blue Shift Audio's territory to that of a new dealer, Engulf Audio,
- and Louisiana is now part of Phenomenhan AV's territory.
- The remaining states that used to be served by Calliope Home audio are in limbo, so any dealer can help people in those areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

From woofersus @ Tweak City Audio (TCA) Onix/Melody thread:

Onix Product Line

Speakers:
Monitor 1
Music 1
Concerto
Bravo
ERT Supertweeter

Amplifiers:
XIA-160
RA-125
A-65
A-55

CD Players:
XCD-50
SACD-15
CD-15
CD-10

DAC's:
DAC-25

Stands:
25" Stand in Satin Black or Piano Black, top platform sized for Bravo or Monitor 1

Cables:
Power Cables - Thunder II OFC, Statement OCC, Statement II OCC, Reference Silver
Interconnects - Blue OFC, Master OFC, Grand Master OFC
Speaker Cables - SP200 OFC, Master II OFC, Statement OCC, Reference Silver

post #5 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I bought a pr. of PBEM Reference 3s from a chap in Lost Wages, had them shipped to The Skiing Ninja for his Master xover with platinum cap upgrade, plus No-Rez treatment of the boxes. They've been playing in my office for a week at low volume - 7x24 - for break-in of the overs.

This morning I pulled them out to my main listening area, they sound 'freakin' amazing. First Miles Davis 'Kinda Blue', then Steely Dan 'Aja', now Beethoven's 5th symphony. It's a thing of beauty to listen to.

Yet on searching online at the various ONIX resellers, no one seems to be carrying the Reference 3.

That would be a shame if this speaker fell by the way-side.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #6 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcarroll View Post

So I bought a pr. of PBEM Reference 3s from a chap in Lost Wages, had them shipped to The Skiing Ninja for his Master xover with platinum cap upgrade, plus No-Rez treatment of the boxes. They've been playing in my office for a week at low volume - 7x24 - for break-in of the overs.

This morning I pulled them out to my main listening area, they sound 'freakin' amazing. First Miles Davis 'Kinda Blue', then Steely Dan 'Aja', now Beethoven's 5th symphony. It's a thing of beauty to listen to.

Yet on searching online at the various ONIX resellers, no one seems to be carrying the Reference 3.

That would be a shame if this speaker fell by the way-side.

The Reference line has been Quasi-discontinued (in limbo) for a while, but Hugh is considering bringing the Ref 2's and Ref 3's back and has been working on a new center channel to replace the Ref 100. Ultimately the fate of the Ref 3's will depend on the level of interest. They're definitely a very nice speaker. (Ref 2's were under-rated too IMHO) If anybody has strong feelings about keeping either of those two speakers alive, please say so!

The new center channel will likely be introduced either way, as it can be used as an L/C/R. It uses the same drivers as the Ref 3 minus the supertweeter.

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
post #7 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 PM

For those who don’t know the Onix background, from my understanding Adam Worsfold and Tony Brady started Onix Electronics in England back in 1986 above a shoe shop in Brighton Sussex England after working for Thorn EMI. While it was Worsfold and Brady who did the electronics, Thierry Comte of Triangle and Atohm fame did the design work on the Reference series speakers to expand the product line. And in fact if you look at the Reference speaker crossovers of today it states "DESIGNED IN FRANCE" with an Atohm designation, which also makes sense since they utilize Atohm drivers.

Worsfold and Brady ended up liquidating the company in England and it was sold to a Chinese company in 1991, I believe even at that time it was to Mr. Pu. Onix then built and sold both electronics and speakers in Asia.

There have been a group of people like myself who have been very happy with the Reference speakers. And they received good past and present reviews; the one that really sold me on the Reference 3s was Kris Deering’s review, and which later the Secrets team voted them one of their ‘best of the year’ back in 2004.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-11-2004.html

I know Mr. Deering has moved on to other speakers in the last few years, but I held out for Dannie Richie’s crossover design that Skiing Ninja markets, which has made them even better.

Jack
post #8 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys View Post

For those who don't know the Onix background, from my understanding Adam Worsfold and Tony Brady started Onix Electronics in England back in 1986 above a shoe shop in Brighton Sussex England after working for Thorn EMI. While it was Worsfold and Brady who did the electronics, Thierry Comte of Triangle and Atohm fame did the design work on the Reference series speakers to expand the product line. And in fact if you look at the Reference speaker crossovers of today it states "DESIGNED IN FRANCE" with an Atohm designation, which also makes sense since they utilize Atohm drivers.

Worsfold and Brady ended up liquidating the company in England and it was sold to a Chinese company in 1991, I believe even at that time it was to Mr. Pu. Onix then built and sold both electronics and speakers in Asia.

There have been a group of people like myself who have been very happy with the Reference speakers. And they received good past and present reviews; the one that really sold me on the Reference 3s was Kris Deering's review, and which later the Secrets team voted them one of their best of the year' back in 2004.

I know Mr. Deering has moved on to other speakers in the last few years, but I held out for Dannie Richie's crossover design that Skiing Ninja markets, which has made them even better.

Cool.
Can some Onix people confirm this history timeline?

Mike

post #9 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Jack.
Quote:

For those who don't know the Onix background, from my understanding Adam Worsfold and Tony Brady started Onix Electronics in England back in 1986 above a shoe shop in Brighton Sussex England after working for Thorn EMI. While it was Worsfold and Brady who did the electronics, Thierry Comte of Triangle and Atohm fame did the design work on the Reference series speakers to expand the product line. And in fact if you look at the Reference speaker crossovers of today it states "DESIGNED IN FRANCE" with an Atohm designation, which also makes sense since they utilize Atohm drivers.

There have been a group of people like myself who have been very happy with the Reference speakers. And they received good past and present reviews; the one that really sold me on the Reference 3s was Kris Deering's review, and which later the Secrets team voted them one of their best of the year' back in 2004.

I know Mr. Deering has moved on to other speakers in the last few years, but I held out for Dannie Richie's crossover design that Skiing Ninja markets, which has made them even better.

Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
post #10 of 74 Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM

That sounds about right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Cool.

Mike

Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
post #11 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Cool.

Mike

Sigh .... Yea of little faith.

My memory gets kind of faded, but not from a few months ago .....

Jack
post #12 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM

This is a weird thread.
post #13 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkramer View Post

This is a weird thread.

Ya, but I like it. The ONIX folks have to start somewhere to seperate themselves from a failed 'partnership'.

Thanks for the history Jack, I have my original xovers on a shelf, I'll have to look at them for the verbiage you mentioned.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #14 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM

It took me a while to find what I had gathered when I was starting to write up a review about the speakers over at Skiing Ninja. Some of the above data is a little off. I'm lucky to remember my wife's name.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=94818

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=73622

http://www.hifi-forumi.com/forum/vie...17009&start=15

Jack
post #15 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tweak City Audio (TCA) Onix/Melody thread with a lot of info:
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2619

post #16 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Sigh .... Yea of little faith.

My memory gets kind of faded, but not from a few months ago .....

Sorry, I should have asked for confirmation/clarification/expansion.

Mike

post #17 of 74 Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Post #3 (link) has updated personnel list.

Mike

post #18 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Added:

Engulf Audio
Dealer for: Alabama
Owner: Robert Meeks
[email protected]

Under dealers in post #3.

Mike

post #19 of 74 Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks Mike. Robert happens to have posted some very interesting pictures on his site. Might be interesting to some Onix owners...

http://horen.lifeme.net/angel-city-a...a-t182.htm#893

Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA
post #20 of 74 Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM

Onix is a registered trade mark in the UK that was registered by Adam Worsfold ( myself ) in 1986 and completed in the UK in 1989 . Onix was a company formed and operated in Brighton UK.

The company was 100% under my ownership until July 1991 when I sold it to Micheal O Brien ( Rogers/Swisstone )

Tony Brady was the principle electronics designer along with my self as the person that put production and final cosmetic design on all of the ONIX products . We both had a say on how the product was designed as we had both been through a very comprehensive apprenticeship with Thorn EMI and worked side by side for many years . Tonys talent as a designer was a major reason that Onix became what it did.

Neither of us had a partnership agreement and so at no stage was it ended and neither of us parted on bad terms . We remained friends

Due to breach of contract on the part of Micheal O Brien after the sale of ONIX by myself to him, an extensive litigation ensued that finally passed judgment on my side . It was concluded late in 1999 . During this legal process O Brien sold the assets of the company to a Chinese company/person without title as it had gone into liquidation in 1995 , this was done to avoid the ensuing debts from my successful awards of losses.
This aspect remains a very questionable area with regards to title of the designs and in particular ownership of the name .

IN fact the name ONIX in class 9 was never sold by me as it was registered in my name and DID NOT belong to the company . Its use may be considered part of an illegal assignment . ( Consult a trade mark agent to find out what that means )

I am still proud of what ONIX ( UK ) made and personally will help any of our original customers as can be seen from the many forums that have ONIX questions posted on them.

Any products produced today that are not made by me or tony using the name ONIX are at best only a name on the front of a unit . A name does not reflect what Tony Brady or Adam Worsfold considered Ideals , the products must have our original DNA to be considered what ONIX was.

In 1991 when I and Tony Brady moved on, it declined as is documented in many forums on the net. I am not aware that any of the original distributors or dealers still sell Onix today

I hope this clears up the grey areas of what ONIX is and who owned/owns it and the time-lines of the ORIGINAL company .

I for one do not consider many of the products that have since worn the name worthy of doing so, but as they say life moves on.

Email me if with any questions you may have I will be glad to help

Regards

Adam Worsfold

aw @onixdna.com
post #21 of 74 Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsw View Post

Onix is a registered trade mark in the UK that was registered by Adam Worsfold ( myself ) in 1986 and completed in the UK in 1989 . Onix was a company formed and operated in Brighton UK.

The company was 100% under my ownership until July 1991 when I sold it to Micheal O Brien ( Rogers/Swisstone )

Tony Brady was the principle electronics designer along with my self as the person that put production and final cosmetic design on all of the ONIX products . We both had a say on how the product was designed as we had both been through a very comprehensive apprenticeship with Thorn EMI and worked side by side for many years . Tonys talent as a designer was a major reason that Onix became what it did.

Neither of us had a partnership agreement and so at no stage was it ended and neither of us parted on bad terms . We remained friends

Due to breach of contract on the part of Micheal O Brien after the sale of ONIX by myself to him, an extensive litigation ensued that finally passed judgment on my side . It was concluded late in 1999 . During this legal process O Brien sold the assets of the company to a Chinese company/person without title as it had gone into liquidation in 1995 , this was done to avoid the ensuing debts from my successful awards of losses.
This aspect remains a very questionable area with regards to title of the designs and in particular ownership of the name .

IN fact the name ONIX in class 9 was never sold by me as it was registered in my name and DID NOT belong to the company . Its use may be considered part of an illegal assignment . ( Consult a trade mark agent to find out what that means )

I am still proud of what ONIX ( UK ) made and personally will help any of our original customers as can be seen from the many forums that have ONIX questions posted on them.

Any products produced today that are not made by me or tony using the name ONIX are at best only a name on the front of a unit . A name does not reflect what Tony Brady or Adam Worsfold considered Ideals , the products must have our original DNA to be considered what ONIX was.

In 1991 when I and Tony Brady moved on, it declined as is documented in many forums on the net. I am not aware that any of the original distributors or dealers still sell Onix today

I hope this clears up the grey areas of what ONIX is and who owned/owns it and the time-lines of the ORIGINAL company .

I for one do not consider many of the products that have since worn the name worthy of doing so, but as they say life moves on.

Regards

Adam Worsfold

aw @onixdna.com

Interesting history of the brand. Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Kind of a low blow, though, don't you think? The Reference 1 has been given a few very positive reviews, and I haven't heard anything negative about their current speakers.
post #22 of 74 Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM

I forwarded this info to the current owner of Onix (be it the company's name or the brand's name).

They in turn will choose to post here or elsewhere, it is totally up to them.

Thanks,

Quote:

Regards

Adam Worsfold

aw @onixdna.com

Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
post #23 of 74 Old 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM

I welcome any communication regarding ONIX from the period that I owned the company ,I welcome the current promoters of the company to contact me and welcome any questions they may have regarding that period.

My comment on the quality of its current range is not intended as a dig/or degrade of their products just that if the original ideals are not running through the designers or owners veins, they cannot be present in the products they produce .I can confirm those ideals were not handed to a new generation, and in fact ended when Tony Brady and myself left , so surely by definition original values are gone. It must then become just a name and not a company ethic that made that name .

I have no hostility to anyone either promoting or supporting any product, but I do not like and openly confess to disliking the use of our reputation in any of the promotional material that is used either on the net or in the press, without our knowledge or consent . Even if it is a practice that takes place in many areas of promotion, I for one am alive and well to defend its incorrect use.

ONIX is a trade mark registered by Adam Worsfold ( myself ) , ONIX UK was the company that made that trade mark a recognized international name, Adam Worsfold and Tony Brady designed the products that put that name on the map, when those individuals left the original company, they took with them the reason the name became known. This does not imply that others cannot make good products, but it does clarify that the Chinese company do not have any commonality with the original name that gained the reputation. Likewise it does not mean their products are bad .

Many people make great HI FI but to live off what others created by using their names and reputations in the promotional material or on the net when they are no longer involved is both deceiving and wrong .

My point is companies should stand on their own reputation for the products they make no matter where they are based, and should be proud to do so, they should be proud to make the best product they can, they should not live off other peoples reputation that no longer give input to the products and in fact in this case have not done so for 20 years . It is fine to use an established history of success for any company if the original values are handed down and original people have moved on and values maintained , but not if the people that made that success have not handed its ethic down and in essence someone has just obtained a name with an historic reputation .With so many companies being sold to the far east this sale of past people involvement is happening far too often these days, and as such I for one think it should not. The buyer is all to often being hoodwinked into buying and old reputation made by good people that is in reality no longer genuinely worthy.

People make any company, buying a name does not assure good products, neither does it mean any new products are inherently bad , but the people that make any name what it becomes, build in a soul that is always lost when only a name is moved on and not the ideals that were created along with that name.

Regards

Adam Worsfold

E mail
aw @onixdna.com
post #24 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:

I welcome any communication regarding ONIX from the period that I owned the company ,I welcome the current promoters of the company to contact me and welcome any questions they may have regarding that period.

It's always interesting to hear about the history of a company. At what point (year) was the agreement you had with Michael breached? Also, why did you sell the company and what sort of volume were you doing in terms of dollars or pounds at your zenith?

Quote:

My comment on the quality of its current range is not intended as a dig/or degrade of their products just that if the original ideals are not running through the designers or owners veins, they cannot be present in the products they produce .I can confirm those ideals were not handed to a new generation, and in fact ended when Tony Brady and myself left , so surely by definition original values are gone. It must then become just a name and not a company ethic that made that name .

Well, it sure sounds like a dig to me, Adam. Whatever your ideals might've been, according to you, you cashed out to M. O'brien. an accountant. His venture then failed but whether it failed because the products weren't made as robustly, a perception, and not totally unwarranted, of cheap Chinese junk, changing market demands, or whatever would take a rigorous and dispassionate post mortem I think.

Quote:

I have no hostility to anyone either promoting or supporting any product, but I do not like and openly confess to disliking the use of our reputation in any of the promotional material that is used either on the net or in the press, without our knowledge or consent . Even if it is a practice that takes place in many areas of promotion, I for one am alive and well to defend its incorrect use.

Matter of factual correction are always welcome and help to provide an accurate historical record. However, I never got the impression that your reputation was being used in any promotional material as a way of lending gravitas to the present incarnation of ONIX. It's nice to have trophies but success at one time only lasts for so long and if it's not met with continued success you just wind up being just another person at the pub telling stories of how you won a trophy playing football back in the day.

Quote:

ONIX is a trade mark registered by Adam Worsfold ( myself ) , ONIX UK was the company that made that trade mark a recognized international name, Adam Worsfold and Tony Brady designed the products that put that name on the map, when those individuals left the original company, they took with them the reason the name became known. This does not imply that others cannot make good products, but it does clarify that the Chinese company do not have any commonality with the original name that gained the reputation. Likewise it does not mean their products are bad .

You're right, but it does plant doubt about current ventures and suggests that the old guard was unique in a positive way. What you're really saying is that the Chinese ONIX is junk without using those exact words.

Trademarks need to be renewed every 10 years and a fee paid. So, are you saying that after the company (minus assets) passed back into your receivership that you once again registered the trademark or did it just expire?

Quote:

Many people make great HI FI but to live off what others created by using their names and reputations in the promotional material or on the net when they are no longer involved is both deceiving and wrong .

Everything I've read about the current ONIX has never suggested that they're living off whatever reputation you had during your brief run with the company. It's just historical stuff. Filler. It seems to me that you're elevating matters to a level that just isn't there. Now, it's nice to hear you chime in, but really that was 20 years ago.

Quote:

My point is companies should stand on their own reputation for the products they make no matter where they are based, and should be proud to do so, they should be proud to make the best product they can, they should not live off other peoples reputation that no longer give input to the products and in fact in this case have not done so for 20 years . It is fine to use an established history of success for any company if the original values are handed down and original people have moved on and values maintained , but not if the people that made that success have not handed its ethic down and in essence someone has just obtained a name with an historic reputation .With so many companies being sold to the far east this sale of past people involvement is happening far too often these days, and as such I for one think it should not. The buyer is all to often being hoodwinked into buying and old reputation made by good people that is in reality no longer genuinely worthy.

Adam, you weren't around very long - 5 years - and then you sold the business. No one is living off your reputation. With all due respect, it sounds more as if you are. If anything, the present ONIX has looked to distance itself and improve upon what happened after you sold it. They further are faced with the somewhat difficult but not insurmountable task of getting it through people's heads that the past business association with AV123/Mark Schifter ought not taint their current and future offerings.

Quote:

People make any company, buying a name does not assure good products, neither does it mean any new products are inherently bad , but the people that make any name what it becomes, build in a soul that is always lost when only a name is moved on and not the ideals that were created along with that name.

Adam, does that mean you sold your soul in 1991? Look, your present concern is noted, but the internet's been around for a few years. Why weren't you posting about this sometime after you won your lawsuit? Why now almost 15 years later?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #25 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 04:11 AM

I welcome the comments posted above and for reasons of open forum cannot discuss the intricate details of what occurred in the sale of ONIX, or the facts of trade mark assignment, but suffice to say renewal can be paid by anyone but ownership never changes hands .

I will however if you wish to know, pass the details you have requested on in a private E mail with the assurance they remain private. The points you raise are valid but they are also much deeper than a forum is intended for.

It must also be noted that in the context of my posts they really apply to the EU and in particular the UK and I note that most of the people that have posted on this thread have been from the USA in this vein ONIX was very small in its penetration in the early days and it may well be that the perception of what it is in the USA has been created since I moved on, either way I have had a successful career outside of ONIX and would not change a thing since then, all of posts have been in reply to what people have requested and no malice is intended .

If I can be of further help please e mail me .

Regards

Adam
post #26 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:

I welcome the comments posted above and for reasons of open forum cannot discuss the intricate details of what occurred in the sale of ONIX, or the facts of trade mark assignment, but suffice to say renewal can be paid by anyone but ownership never changes hands .

It changes hands if when you sold the company you also sold the trademark (BTW, just what is the trademark?). Also, consider the following.

In Blinxx UK Ltd v Blinkbox Entertainment Ltd (2010), the former sought to prevent the latter from trademark infringement. They lost in court because they'd been aware for a couple of years of possible infringement but did nothing about it. When they finally did, it was too late.

In the matter of the hotel, The Carlyle, which is US based, the trademark was revoked in the UK because of non-use. So, in your case, if you did indeed have a trademark in the UK after the matter with O'Brien was settled, it may be worthless for a number of reasons. If the present incarnation of ONIX is infringing on it in your opinion, then just seek legal redress. As it stands now, you're suggesting you've been wronged in some way but from all I've read maybe you're just wishing you hadn't sold the company to an accountant and are feeling some remorse.

Quote:

I will however if you wish to know, pass the details you have requested on in a private E mail with the assurance they remain private. The points you raise are valid but they are also much deeper than a forum is intended for.

It must also be noted that in the context of my posts they really apply to the EU and in particular the UK and I note that most of the people that have posted on this thread have been from the USA in this vein ONIX was very small in its penetration in the early days and it may well be that the perception of what it is in the USA has been created since I moved on, either way I have had a successful career outside of ONIX and would not change a thing since then, all of posts have been in reply to what people have requested and no malice is intended .

If I can be of further help please e mail me .

Regards

Adam

Sure I'd like to hear more and will abide for your wish to not have the contents revealed publicly on open forum.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #27 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Company and TM law in the UK is clearly very different to the law in the USA and each case must be taken on its own merits . Your case points do not apply in this case as the trade mark has been used, so no matter who owns it the mark is still a trade mark . Ownership is a different matter, it has no relevence to who uses the mark . Enforcement is entirely down to the owner of the mark to highlight to authorities its use ,if its use is not opposed no actions will be enforced and in fact no actions will be taken .

I do not regret selling the company but a sale contact is a two way street and any breach has consequences . I have judgement and that is why I can post as my original post states

ONIX FACTS

Details as to why will passed privatly, but once again I do not have a single regret as to the course my history has taken me, I do not regret selling ONIX it was the right thing to do and was 100% my choice but... a breach of contract ! ... well thats different no one likes that.

Regards

Adam
post #28 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 PM

Adam,

You said there seemed to be a breach of 'something' between you and such Michael O Brien then why don't you ask Michael to come here to tell us his side of the story?

Better yet, it would be beneficial for everybody to learn more about the history of Onix if you can start a new thread to highlight such event.

This particular thread was started by someone who is a fan of Onix with its current products and so it seems a little peculiar that you chose to remain silent for the last several years when Onix was distributed by av123 and yet suddenly appeared now and stated your side of the story.

Furthermore, I am sure you know which Chinese company owns Onix so please, by all means, contact them and resolve your issue once and for all. Life is too short.

Thanks,
Quote:

Company and TM law in the UK is clearly very different to the law in the USA and each case must be taken on its own merits . Your case points do not apply in this case as the trade mark has been used, so no matter who owns it the mark is still a trade mark . Ownership is a different matter, it has no relevence to who uses the mark . Enforcement is entirely down to the owner of the mark to highlight to authorities its use ,if its use is not opposed no actions will be enforced and in fact no actions will be taken .

I do not regret selling the company but a sale contact is a two way street and any breach has consequences . I have judgement and that is why I can post as my original post states

ONIX FACTS

Details as to why will passed privatly, but once again I do not have a single regret as to the course my history has taken me, I do not regret selling ONIX it was the right thing to do and was 100% my choice but... a breach of contract ! ... well thats different no one likes that.

Regards

Adam

Hugh
Angel City Audio
Melody US Distributor
post #29 of 74 Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 PM

I have no knowledge of Mr Pu or Sound arts but I would welcome a chat . I am sure that M O Brien will not put his head up he sure as hell wont want to see me, suffice to say I welcome any questions that you may have on this matter in an E mail .

My life has been busy and only now did I discover what is going on with ONIX and as such I am making certain points known .

In this vein I can assure all concerned I have no intention of seeking redress from anyone, causing any trouble to anyone that is involved now, or harming anyone's business.

Lets be fair the forums and their existence was not really around until the last few years, so the ability to raise awareness was not there likewise to discover things that may be going on with regards to any product or market place did not exist a few years ago.

The US market was unknown to me and I thank everyone on this forum for the help in raising my awareness to what is going on in the US, with regards to the current ONIX. Life is exactly as you say too short to dwell on the past things always move on .

Regards

Adam
post #30 of 74 Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Forums have been around for a decade or so and before that there were Bulletin Boards. If the US market was unkown to you, that's kind of a European tunnel vision on somebody's part. It sure wasn't unknown to a lot of European companies. Hell, I've got a Transcriptor turntable so some of you folks, including the Japanese managed to find us

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page