Anyone using Klipsch KL-6504 THX Speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
H everyone,

Have just (almost) joined the ranks of Klipsch speaker owners and needed some advice. After looking at all my options of getting speakers to Australia (and finding a company that will export without taking a third mortgage for shipping), I have finally decided that a high quality in-wall was the best deal for me.

I am building a theater room with 150 inch AT 2.35:1 screen, Rotel processor and 7 x 100 amp and HD-DVD and Blu-ray players. I finally purchased 3 x KL-6504 THX in wall speakers, kind of on reputation of the brand and specs than any reviews. Reason being is that I cannot find a review anywhere for these speakers.

If you have em, can you please post with your thoughts on performance and any hints for the best set-up. Ours is a new build so I can make mods to the stud frame if that will help. Room dimensions are 20 feet x 15 feet wide and 10 feet high ceilings.

I will be using the speakers for LCR duties and looking at 8 inch inwalls for rear (already have)

Look forward to any advice out there. Figured at $US394.00 each it was pretty good buying.

many thanks

Greg

Follow my thread here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I think you need bigger mains!! Do you have a false wall?

btw, there are some guys over in the DIY forum that live in Australia that might help you source speakers.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 24 Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 642
I agree with Penn...In a room that large if you sit 15' back these won't get very loud.. with an RMS of 100w and sensitivity of 92db they'll be straining to bust 100db and you can forget about reference levels...

the KL7800 would be a better match with larger drivers and a little higher wattage rating.. they are also Ultra2 certified (12' distance or more...THX doesn't describe what more means )which the other are not. If you can hold off for a short while the TCA Pro-10 (inwall will be avaliable) should be out soon and spec wise would be a much much better option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ouch...that doesn't sound good. Speakers are already on order and will be dispatched early next week. Maybe I can use them for surrounds and look at something else for front sound stage. Any idea of when the pro-10's will be available?

I may change my order from 3 to 2 speakers and look for another speaker for the fronts.

Cheers

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #5 of 24 Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingaling2004 View Post

Ouch...that doesn't sound good. Speakers are already on order and will be dispatched early next week. Maybe I can use them for surrounds and look at something else for front sound stage. Any idea of when the pro-10's will be available?

I may change my order from 3 to 2 speakers and look for another speaker for the fronts.

Cheers

Greg

Check out the forum at Tweak City Audio.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Agreed, get three of the KL650's for your front LCR if you want to stick with the same series. Use these inwalls for surround duty.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #7 of 24 Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Agreed, get three of the KL650's for your front LCR if you want to stick with the same series. Use these inwalls for surround duty.

The Klipsch KL7800 is the inwall version of the KL650 line and is THX Ultra 2 certified...if you really want Klipsch these would work fine.. still I would wait if you can for the Pro-10.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

The Klipsch KL7800 is the inwall version of the KL650 line and is THX Ultra 2 certified...if you really want Klipsch these would work fine.. still I would wait if you can for the Pro-10.

But they have much different capabilities.

Construction Thread
post #9 of 24 Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Tony,
Thanks very much to you and for all of the feedback. I read your thread and it looks great. From what I can see, you have the 650's on front duties. Would a 7 x 100W amp be enough to drive these to high enough levels? Happy overall with them sonically?

Thanks

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #10 of 24 Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Greg,

I started off using my Denon3300 to drive the KL650's. It sounded very nice, but when really pushed, the amps would clip. The KL650's have impedence dips that can be tough on an amplifier, and I witnessed them first hand. I changed over to an Emotiva XPA5 to power them (5x200w) and it was a major step forward in performance (when matched with these speakers).

If the 7x100w that you want to use is of a high quality and capable of low resistance then it will likely produce great results. However, these speakers do respond noticably when you improve amplification.

I couldn't be more pleased! If you research them, I don't think you'll find a single negative review or comment. And there's a reason for that.

The sonic signature of horns was noticably different than my older "conventional" speakers. Now that my ears have adjusted to prefer my speakers, most others sound soft or muffled to me.

I've heard inwalls on several occasions (including Klipsch Reference series) and they serve a different design goal than cabinet speakers. The primary purpose is placement in the wall. If that's important to you then it makes sense.

Anxious to hear what you end up doing.

Construction Thread
post #11 of 24 Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

G'Day Tony,

Have a slight problem...can't decide on speakers. I am driving them with a Rotel RMB-1077 7 x 100W Class D Bang and olufson Icepower amp. Specs for this amp suggest that it is a very clean and efficient signal and stable to 4 ohms. Specs at:

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...l_rmb_1077.htm

Now, I am trying to decide between the KL-650's and the Heresy III speakers x 3 for front soundstage. Wasn't really planning on spending $1500 on my rear channels, but I have done as from what you guys recommended, the KL-6504 in-walls are not going to cut the mustard for front sound stage.

I will be honest. I don't really understand reference levels and my predominant use for these speakers will be movies at (wife enforced) sound levels and listening to Blu-ray, DVD-Audio and SACD music. I do need to consider the shipping costs. The Heresy's are going to cost me $550 each x 3 plus shipping but they weigh 55 pounds each. The KL-650THX is 39 pounds, which means a difference of 16 pounds per speaker. I can purchase the 650_THX for $795 each, which is $250 per speaker more, but it may be a lesser margin by the time that shipping is taken into consideration and even less when duty is not paid on the 650's as I can order them singly.

So, there's the cost side of it, which is marginal really. The big question is the sound quality. I do like smooth music, so if the 650's have a harsh sound, would be more inclined to go for the Heresy's. The Heresy's are also dB more efficient, which I think may provide a little more volume.

A bit confused here, so if you could help me out, that would be great.

Really appreciate you taking the time. Sorry to ask s o many questions, but neither of these speakers are available for audition over here and I don't like wasting shop assistant time when I have no intention of buying these speakers in Australia (about 3 x the price). The RF83's sell for over 5k per pair, to give you an idea! We get shafted over here!

Thanks

Greg

PS one more stupid question...How can I get more wattage out of my amp. How do I achieve a 4 Ohm load if it is stable at that? Would it be a case of running two cables off each speaker terminal for the LCR (one for high freq and one for low freqs) and bi-wiring the speakers?

Follow my thread here
post #12 of 24 Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Greg, I hope you get some other helpful input besides my own. I'm no expert, just a guy giving an opinion. But....of that I do have!

Your current amp seems like it will do the job just fine. If you said your taste were for insanely high volume levels then you might want more amp, but I think you have what it takes to make most anyone satisfied.

I have not heard the Heresy's, but they are very well supported by enthusiasts. I can compare directly the KL650's (with proper subwoofer) to Khorns (with proper subwoofer) and they are very similar in performance. That leads me to believe that the KL's provide a bit more performance than the Heresy's? Strictly guessing.

When I first got my KL's I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed (but I had such high expectations). However, with the addition of room treatments, a proper amp and a proper subwoofer, I could not have asked for more! Last night I watched "Hitman: David Foster and Friends". I couldn't get the smile off my face for two hours!!! The KL's give you that "I can't believe what I'm hearing" sort of a feeling. Hear I am a year after buying them and they suprise me every time. They are AMAZING!

Your don't do anything for your amp to provide the 4 ohm load. It's part of the 'magic' that happens inside the boxes.

Construction Thread
post #13 of 24 Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Greg, I hope you get some other helpful input besides my own. I'm no expert, just a guy giving an opinion. But....of that I do have!

Your current amp seems like it will do the job just fine. If you said your taste were for insanely high volume levels then you might want more amp, but I think you have what it takes to make most anyone satisfied.

I have not heard the Heresy's, but they are very well supported by enthusiasts. I can compare directly the KL650's (with proper subwoofer) to Khorns (with proper subwoofer) and they are very similar in performance. That leads me to believe that the KL's provide a bit more performance than the Heresy's? Strictly guessing.

When I first got my KL's I have to admit that I was a bit underwhelmed (but I had such high expectations). However, with the addition of room treatments, a proper amp and a proper subwoofer, I could not have asked for more! Last night I watched "Hitman: David Foster and Friends". I couldn't get the smile off my face for two hours!!! The KL's give you that "I can't believe what I'm hearing" sort of a feeling. Hear I am a year after buying them and they suprise me every time. They are AMAZING!

Your don't do anything for your amp to provide the 4 ohm load. It's part of the 'magic' that happens inside the boxes.

Hi there Tony,
Thanks very much for your feedback. Freight prices were only a marginal difference between the Heresy's and the 650's despite the size and weight difference. So, it is really about cost. To give you an idea, it is going to cost me about $1100.00 Aussie each for the 650's and about $850 each for the Heresy 3's. I think that price wise, I would be leaning more toward the PRO-10's that have been recommended, but then again I want to do it right. I feel sure that the Pro-10's would be great, but then I just don't know how they compare on quality...I only want to do this once and upgrading is gonna be an expensive exercise. Would also like to keep all the speakers Klipsch, as I will be using the KL-6504's for surround and Center Back duty.

Sure is a pain not being able to audition anything over here.

I agree...I have Hitman on Blu-Ray and it is awesome. My next purchase will be Neil Diamond Hot August Night on Blu-Ray. Looks great and I am an (unashamed) Neil fan. Pretty sad at 39! Other fantastic musical Blu-Ray I have is K D Lang live in London, Foo Fighters, AC/DC live in Donnington and even Stevie Wonder live. Very good. Really enjoy Hit Man though...I bet St Elmo's fire sounds great at your place!

Will let you know how I go. Thanks again for your invaluable comments. It's just really gonna depend on whether I want to spend $1200 for the Pro-10 soundstage, $2400 for the Heresy or $3200 for the Klipsh 650 fronts. AAAARRRRGGGHHH!

Take care

Greg

Follow my thread here
post #14 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hear ya Greg. Good luck in your decision!

Construction Thread
post #15 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Tony
you are a bad man making me go out and buy the 650's. Atleast if my wife leaves me I will have some nice speakers to listen to. They are on backorder until mid April. I am sure that they will be worth the wait! Have a great day and thanks again. Greg.

Follow my thread here
post #16 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you can leave enough room behind your screen, I would check out JTR speakers. The T8's go for $999 plus shipping here in the USA. JTR just opened a dealership in Australia.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You will have no regrets with your order!

Construction Thread
post #18 of 24 Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 AM

Liked: 10
hi greg
i am also live in australia. i am looking for the klipsch as well. it is expensive here. where do you get your if you don't might. i want to buy them too.
ta
post #19 of 24 Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Trevor. I don't want to get in trouble for commercial stuff on these forums. Go to www.audiophileliquidator.net you will find a good range of klipsch equip on there at a great price. They don't sell internationally so go to priceusa.com.au. Nice lady called Carolina who is based in Vic and has a shipping agent in the USA that will onship for 5%. good deal I reckon. Best of luck. Greg.

Follow my thread here
post #20 of 24 Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM

Liked: 10
thank you Greg! much appreciated
trevor
post #21 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
An old thread I know but I have purchased the attached speaker recently, anyone have one and does it sound good for an in wall? Powering this with a emotiva xpa 5 channel amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A9935199-8E9C-4BE7-92E0-AF34BDC751F3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	2567888   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C066026-0905-4EE2-9C99-E6B79450E24C.png
Views:	11
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	2567890  

Yamaha Aventage 1060 receiver, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 power amp
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Klipsch Reference Series PRO 180RPW, PRO-6504-L-THX centre, R-5800-W surrounds
Niles CM7 in-wall height speakers, SVS PB2000 subwoofer
[B]Sony 65inch smart TV
post #22 of 24 Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezinghot View Post
An old thread I know but I have purchased the attached speaker recently, anyone have one and does it sound good for an in wall? Powering this with a emotiva xpa 5 channel amp.

I have Klipsch 6504's for my front 3 speakers and absolutely love them. I sit 15ish feet back and they give me plenty of sound. Keep in mind I'm using them for home theater. In one of the first few posts it mentions concerns of them not getting loud enough (over 100db's) but I'm not interested in hearing loss and can't imagine how loud some people listen to their movies/music. You listen to anything that loud for any length of time and you will definitely need louder speakers to keep up with your loss of hearing. It's all subjective of course. Your listening habits, what you have pushing it, how it's calibrated, your personal preferences in sound etc. all come into play. I can only anecdotally say I am very pleased with them.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmarket View Post
I have Klipsch 6504's for my front 3 speakers and absolutely love them. I sit 15ish feet back and they give me plenty of sound. Keep in mind I'm using them for home theater. In one of the first few posts it mentions concerns of them not getting loud enough (over 100db's) but I'm not interested in hearing loss and can't imagine how loud some people listen to their movies/music. You listen to anything that loud for any length of time and you will definitely need louder speakers to keep up with your loss of hearing. It's all subjective of course. Your listening habits, what you have pushing it, how it's calibrated, your personal preferences in sound etc. all come into play. I can only anecdotally say I am very pleased with them.
Thanks, I chose this speaker because I didn’t want to lose any dialogue quality and power by going to a smaller in wall and also wanted to have the same power if not more that the RP 450c that I sold, so now I think I have them all so just wanting on the centre speaker to be installed and I will fire them all up and calibrate them and see what they all sound like. All my speakers I use are in my signature.

Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
[B]Sony 65inch smart TV
post #24 of 24 Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 AM

The recessed wall has now be built which also house the centre speaker, should I put a port to the side or leave the enclosure sealed, which is best for this speaker?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E48E9CF7-8EAA-4483-8BBC-6F8A1120FC7B.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2569102   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBD09FAB-56C5-489C-BB60-CBEDAA8E8C09.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	2569104  

Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
[B]Sony 65inch smart TV

Last edited by freezinghot; 05-20-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page