Liked: 10
Starting my budget home theater. Picked up the following

Polk Monitor 60s (series 2)
Polk CS 2 (series 2)
Polk Monitor 30s (series 1)
BIC V-1220 subwoofer

Driven by an Onkyo 608

My question is
Are the Series 2 just a cosmetic difference? or they a different speaker?
I found the series 2 on salew with just a small increase in price from the series 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 343
The only difference is cosmetic. Thats what has been said at Club Polk their company forum.

As for the sub I mght want to try for the Bic F12 ($182) it will sound better
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
As stated its cosmetic only. Polk discontinued their Monitor series in late 09 and replaced them with the TSI series. Newegg and other vendors continued to sell the limited amount of stock of the original Monitors until it was close to gone. As a result of either Newegg requesting, or Newegg selling enough of them, Polk decided to create the Monitor Series II. Newegg is the only vendor selling them as most vendors started stocking the TSi line when the original monitors were discontinued.

As such the sound is the same, the look is slightly different. Both the TSi and Monitor II series are about the same as well.

So if you can find the original ones, buy them as they will be the best value. If you have to pair them with a Series II model they will timbre match.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the F12 really that much better than the 1220? I was under the impression they were pretty much the same, except the 1220 was downfiring, which I prefer
post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If the specs are "pretty much the same" then get the one with the features you prefer.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
They are not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post
If the specs are "pretty much the same" then get the one with the features you prefer.
I had a chance to test them side by side. Monitor 70 series II & monitor 30 Serries II vs Monitor 60 & monitor 40. The difference is more than just subtle. To my ear, monitor 60 and monitor 40's were superior to Series II setup. Clean, unpainted sound. Series II appeared to have more depth because I used PSW505 with them vs Monitor 10 for the monitor 60 and 40. To be completely sure, I called my daughter to let her hear the difference. Same song, same volume. The receiver for series II speakers was sc-81. For original series, receiver was vsx47 - the 64lb beast. Started with series 1, 10 seconds. Switched to series II. My daughter said after 3-4 seconds that series II is better. I expected that. I let her listen full 10 seconds. I then switched back to series 1. The reaction was: "Oh my god! No! These are way better." In every test, I used the same song segment and the volume on both receivers was the same (perceived, not by number on the display.)

So, my somewhat trained ear and my daughter's untrained ear hear significant difference between these two speakers. Compared to original, series II are muddy; they paint the sound a lot. Series I are as clean as it can get for speakers of their price range.In terms of what you get for what you pay, series II is not even close in value to series I.

I gifted my series I setup to my friend because I wanted him to have something better since I check private adds regularly and I thought I can find the same setup for me. No luck so far for the last two years, at least not for the price I am willing to pay. My friend moved and can no longer use them. I am getting them back and my series II crap goes out and series I is moving back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page