The Official Procella Audio Speakers Owners thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 166Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #481 of 634 Old 01-16-2018, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
maikeldepotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebkarlbjork View Post
Hi, revive this thread. Want to check with you who have Procella what you drive for power amplifiers to these. I mainly think of P5 / P6v. I know that procella has its own power amplifier built-in DSP but they are well above my budget. My plan is to buy 3 x P5 and run these as L / C / R. I have a Storm Audio SSP 16 processor and therefore need amplifiers for the speakers but in price range below $ 600. Does anyone have a suggestion?

/Sebastian
Is that below $ 600 per channel?

A good idea and understanding lies at the base of every successful project.
maikeldepotter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 634 Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, SWE
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
Is that below $ 600 per channel?
No, either 2-channel $3-400 or multichannel around $600.
Sebkarlbjork is offline  
post #483 of 634 Old 01-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aareses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebkarlbjork View Post
Hi, revive this thread. Want to check with you who have Procella what you drive for power amplifiers to these. I mainly think of P5 / P6v. I know that procella has its own power amplifier built-in DSP but they are well above my budget. My plan is to buy 3 x P5 and run these as L / C / R. I have a Storm Audio SSP 16 processor and therefore need amplifiers for the speakers but in price range below $ 600. Does anyone have a suggestion?

/Sebastian
Hi Sebastian. I have all Procella Speakers for my new theater and went through the same thought process on amplifiers. I ended up going with those in my signature below. In my thread, there was a major conversation and much input from several users on different amps. Hope that helps!

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Aareses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #484 of 634 Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, SWE
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Hi Sebastian. I have all Procella Speakers for my new theater and went through the same thought process on amplifiers. I ended up going with those in my signature below. In my thread, there was a major conversation and much input from several users on different amps. Hope that helps!
Thanks Aareses, makes my search a lot easier. And for the 8 channel DCI 8 | 300 amp is really a reasonable price. About $ 400 per channel.

/Sebastian
Sebkarlbjork is offline  
post #485 of 634 Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebkarlbjork View Post
Hi, revive this thread. Want to check with you who have Procella what you drive for power amplifiers to these. I mainly think of P5 / P6v. I know that procella has its own power amplifier built-in DSP but they are well above my budget. My plan is to buy 3 x P5 and run these as L / C / R. I have a Storm Audio SSP 16 processor and therefore need amplifiers for the speakers but in price range below $ 600. Does anyone have a suggestion?

/Sebastian
I am using Parasound Halo A31 for LCR and this sounds very smooth and powerful with no fatigue (also no fan if you have to place it in your theater room), so completely silent, very minimal heat output. I am looking at potentially trying an ATI 6000 or 4000 series amplifier as well.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #486 of 634 Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
I have all Procella Speakers for my new theater and went through the same thought process on amplifiers. I ended up going with those in my signature below. In my thread, there was a major conversation and much input from several users on different amps. Hope that helps!
How are you turning on/off your amps with your control system? I am also looking to experiment with a Crown XTi1002 (integrated DSP). I own the Xilica XP4080 that I use for my 4 subs but I might try using for my speakers as well as I will be selling my Datasat soon so I will need some DSP control at specific frequency and Q Factor.

Did you consider the XTi1002 before you bought your Crown amps? Any thoughts that might help me?

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
farsider3000 is offline  
post #487 of 634 Old 02-05-2018, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Jameshtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikeldepotter View Post
Just arrived (P5,P5v, P12)

For 19.1 set-up see:
Where can I buy Procella speakers? I'm in Texas, USA

Last edited by Jameshtx; 02-05-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Jameshtx is offline  
post #488 of 634 Old 02-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aareses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebkarlbjork View Post
Thanks Aareses, makes my search a lot easier. And for the 8 channel DCI 8 | 300 amp is really a reasonable price. About $ 400 per channel.

/Sebastian
Yep! I had some really significant conversations with many knowledgeable people here on AVS. There are many really good products out there these days and you really can't go too wrong with any of them. However, for me, the best bang for the buck was the Crown DCI. You can look at the bottom of my post #788 on my build thread and open the attachment. I did a cost comparison for several models which were most highly recommended. I would have LOVED to get the Procella Amps, but they were out of my price range. The Crowns come in the JBL Synthesis system and for me they were the best for the money. There is big discussion about amps on the pages before and after post #788 as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post43721738

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
How are you turning on/off your amps with your control system? I am also looking to experiment with a Crown XTi1002 (integrated DSP). I own the Xilica XP4080 that I use for my 4 subs but I might try using for my speakers as well as I will be selling my Datasat soon so I will need some DSP control at specific frequency and Q Factor.

Did you consider the XTi1002 before you bought your Crown amps? Any thoughts that might help me?
The Crown amps I got had 12v triggers, which were easy to implement a power on/off with my Yamaha Processor. Unfortunately, the Xilica processors do not have that feature, so I just leave them on 24/7. Peter M, who is another huge Procella fan like me, does the same with his. I did consider a TON of amps and models, but the XTi1002 was not one of them.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Aareses is offline  
post #489 of 634 Old 02-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshtx View Post
Where can I buy Procella speakers? I'm in Texas, USA
Email Chuck Back on [email protected], he is our man in the Americas, based out of Venice, CA. Also see https://procella.audio/where-to-buy-procella-speakers/

Regards, Gerben Van Duyl
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
post #490 of 634 Old 02-18-2018, 11:45 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 65
NB: we are getting lots of questions and interest in the newly announced P8 In-Wall / In-Ceiling. These are the "Preliminary" measurements, they may change (but not very likely):

Ideal for Atmos overhead and Wide positions, as the built-in angle for the mid/hi frequencies alolow you to aim the sound direct at the listening area, from a otherwise flat mounting position. Just rotate the loudspeaker as required. The square grills (both black and white in the box) hide the different orientations of the speakers, so they all look the same

It uses the same proprietary and very strong Wing Clamp system as the P5iW.

Shipping: in a few months from now. Also see https://procella.audio/new-procella-p8iw/



TMcG, Aareses, gwthacker and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Gerben Van Duyl; 02-18-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
post #491 of 634 Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Aareses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 866
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben Van Duyl View Post
NB: we are getting lots of questions and interest in the newly announced P8 In-Wall / In-Ceiling.
VERY cool to see this happening, Gerben. I'm loving my Procella Speakers!
Gerben Van Duyl likes this.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Aareses is offline  
post #492 of 634 Old 03-12-2018, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Can Procella P8s be kept on a wooden stand behind a AT screen or do they have to be placed in baffle wall as most owners here have done?

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #493 of 634 Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Gerben Van Duyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Can Procella P8s be kept on a wooden stand behind a AT screen or do they have to be placed in baffle wall as most owners here have done?
Yes, they can be on a shelf/shelves behind the screen, just make sure it is a solid one, no rattles. Place the P8 against the wall, fill the rest of the wall behind the screen with 1.5" absorber material, preferably acoustic rated polyester or natural wool batts.

The acoustic centre of the loudspeaker (middle point between the centres of the Hi and Mid driver; in case of the P8: the bottom edge of the waveguide) should be at 5/8 of Image Height, not at 1/2 Image Height.

Remove all grills. Black tape over the logos. Nothing reflective behind the screen.
nonstopdoc1 and Uppsalaing like this.
Gerben Van Duyl is offline  
post #494 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Anyone here using non procella speakers for atmos or surround with a Procella LCR?

Will JBL Control 328c in ceiling speakers work for atmos with Procella P8 and P5 system?

Any other inexpensive recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #495 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Anyone here using non procella speakers for atmos or surround with a Procella LCR?

Will JBL Control 328c in ceiling speakers work for atmos with Procella P8 and P5 system?

Any other inexpensive recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Yes. I’m using Procella P28s for LCR and Triad Bronze/8 (angled speakers) for atmos. Only time I’ve noticed any tonal difference is the Atmos demo disc and one movie. All other atmos movies haven’t struck me as noticeable. Not sure about your JBLs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwthacker is offline  
post #496 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Yes. I’m using Procella P28s for LCR and Triad Bronze/8 (angled speakers) for atmos. Only time I’ve noticed any tonal difference is the Atmos demo disc and one movie. All other atmos movies haven’t struck me as noticeable. Not sure about your JBLs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. INCEILING BRONZE/8 SAT or INCEILING BRONZE/8 LCR?
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #497 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
dormie1360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Anyone here using non procella speakers for atmos or surround with a Procella LCR?

Will JBL Control 328c in ceiling speakers work for atmos with Procella P8 and P5 system?

Any other inexpensive recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have P8's up front with Triad Silvers for the surrounds and Triad Silver Sats in the ceiling. It was recommended (Dennis Erskine) to maintain the same drivers for the surrounds and ceiling. Many around here have not and seem happy with the results, however.

The fronts seem seamless with the rest of my speakers but I'm old and my hearing sucks. @gwthacker has been in my theater a few times and I'm sure he could give you some honest feed back. My feelings won't be hurt.

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3 2.35 159 in, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18, Triad Silvers Atmos 11.3.4

Last edited by dormie1360; 04-14-2018 at 07:41 PM.
dormie1360 is offline  
post #498 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Thanks. INCEILING BRONZE/8 SAT or INCEILING BRONZE/8 LCR?


Mine is the Bronze/LCR. I think @dormie1360 has the same Triads paired with his P8s. And yes he is old and his hearing sucks, but his theater sounds great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwthacker is offline  
post #499 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
Mine is the Bronze/LCR. I think @dormie1360 has the same Triads paired with his P8s. And yes he is old and his hearing sucks, but his theater sounds great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
I have P8's up front with Triad Silvers for the surrounds and Triad Silver Sats in the ceiling. It was recommended (Dennis Erskine) to maintain the same drivers for the surrounds and ceiling. Many around here have not and seem happy with the results, however.

The fronts seem seamless with the rest of my speakers but I'm old and my hearing sucks. @gwthacker has been in my theater a few times and I'm sure he could give you some honest feed back. My feelings won't be hurt.

Any specific reason you chose Triad over Procella P6 or P5?
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #500 of 634 Old 04-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
dormie1360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Any specific reason you chose Triad over Procella P6 or P5?
Money. The Triads were recommended based on my budget.
nonstopdoc1 likes this.

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3 2.35 159 in, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18, Triad Silvers Atmos 11.3.4
dormie1360 is offline  
post #501 of 634 Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
Money. The Triads were recommended based on my budget.


I know Erskine guys really like the triads too. Kblaws theater (HTOTM) is definitely not budget limited. He has procella p860s for lcr and triads for atmos. I believe p8s for surrounds.

Dormie’s theater is totally seamless IMO. You cant hear a difference with his Procella P8 LCRs and his Triad silver surrounds and bronze 8 ceiling. I have same speaker setup except p28s for lcr. I’m having redo done later this year and going to an 11.8 and will be adding P6s for front heights and wides, with additional pair of ceiling added. When Adam Pelz is done I’m predicting it will be seamless too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwthacker is offline  
post #502 of 634 Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
dormie1360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I have Silver Sats in the the ceiling, not Bronze.

Both George and I have a lot budgeted for room design/acoustics and calibration. IMO that has much to do with how the speakers "sound" with each other as anything else.

FWIW I am adding wides which will be P6v's. Adam feels wides should closely match the LCR's if possible.

Regards, John
Video: Digital Projection 330 HighLite HC, Stewart 1.3 2.35 159 in, Radiance Pro, Anamorphic Lens
Audio: Trinnov Altitude16, QSC iCore250, QSC DCA 1622 Amps
Speakers: Procella P8's, P6V's, P18, Triad Silvers Atmos 11.3.4
dormie1360 is offline  
post #503 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
JTR speakers have a huge following on this forum. Did anyone of you guys ever did A/B comparison with JTR Noesis?

Apart from recommendation from HT designers, what were the reasons you chose Procella over other (often cheaper) options like JTR or JBL?

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #504 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
JTR speakers have a huge following on this forum. Did anyone of you guys ever did A/B comparison with JTR Noesis?

Apart from recommendation from HT designers, what were the reasons you chose Procella over other (often cheaper) options like JTR or JBL?
I only bought speakers from Procella for a 5.1.2 system with P6 for LCR, P5 for surrounds and P5iw for Atmos. I bought my electronics separately.

Procella speakers were the only one's that would fit behind the screen in my theatre. I had considered M&K, but they don't have a dealer in my country for me to audition them. JTR don't have a dealership here and I didn't know about them. They'd also be too big for the screen and the shipping costs would be significant to import (thousands of $). I'm not going to spend that kind of money on speakers I have never heard.

Procella's dealer had a proper cinema with Atmos, fully treated room, etc... i.e. like the high end systems on AVS. It sounded great. JBL didn't have their smaller cinema line speakers available to order at the time (C220, etc... still too big), not to mentioned demo room (although we have all heard JBL in commercial cinemas) and they probably would require a bigger room to work properly for my uses. JBL is very cost effective from an SPL per dollar point of view, but if you start looking at their processing solutions for higher end stuff (synthesis, etc..) the costs advantage probably goes away.

QSC have fitted out some of the local premium commercial cinemas here, but I didn't want to buy a full system, just speakers. And I'm not sure they would have been suitable or had a price advantage anyway.

Also, with Procella I could get a full range of speakers, including in-ceiling atmos speakers. I'm not sure I could hang a pair of 36kg speakers from competing brands in my room as it was not purpose built, rather it was converted to cinema use.

I also considered and demoed other speaker systems usually found in homes, such as Bowers & Wilkins, KEF and such. Trounced easily by Procella. Not even close. Yes, it wasn't A/B, but I don't have that option as I could only rely on what dealers have available in their theatre rooms or demo rooms.

There are cheaper brands than Procella, but mostly cheaper for a reason . If you are based in the US, then you might have competitive options at a cost effective price point, but you will need room to fit large speakers.
nonstopdoc1 likes this.
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #505 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Horta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
JTR speakers have a huge following on this forum. Did anyone of you guys ever did A/B comparison with JTR Noesis?

Apart from recommendation from HT designers, what were the reasons you chose Procella over other (often cheaper) options like JTR or JBL?
I have Procella P6 up front and Triad for ATMOS and surrounds like many others. The main reason for the Procellas was their size, more specific the depth. They are very shallow and wide vs most other brands the speaker are deep. So I could get my AT screen closer to the wall and my father from my front rows eyes.

Hope this all made sense?
nonstopdoc1 and Uppsalaing like this.
Horta is offline  
post #506 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
I have Procella P6 up front and Triad for ATMOS and surrounds like many others. The main reason for the Procellas was their size, more specific the depth. They are very shallow and wide vs most other brands the speaker are deep. So I could get my AT screen closer to the wall and my father from my front rows eyes.

Hope this all made sense?
Thanks for your input. What Triad models are you using?
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #507 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post
I only bought speakers from Procella for a 5.1.2 system with P6 for LCR, P5 for surrounds and P5iw for Atmos. I bought my electronics separately.

Procella speakers were the only one's that would fit behind the screen in my theatre. I had considered M&K, but they don't have a dealer in my country for me to audition them. JTR don't have a dealership here and I didn't know about them. They'd also be too big for the screen and the shipping costs would be significant to import (thousands of $). I'm not going to spend that kind of money on speakers I have never heard.

Procella's dealer had a proper cinema with Atmos, fully treated room, etc... i.e. like the high end systems on AVS. It sounded great. JBL didn't have their smaller cinema line speakers available to order at the time (C220, etc... still too big), not to mentioned demo room (although we have all heard JBL in commercial cinemas) and they probably would require a bigger room to work properly for my uses. JBL is very cost effective from an SPL per dollar point of view, but if you start looking at their processing solutions for higher end stuff (synthesis, etc..) the costs advantage probably goes away.

QSC have fitted out some of the local premium commercial cinemas here, but I didn't want to buy a full system, just speakers. And I'm not sure they would have been suitable or had a price advantage anyway.

Also, with Procella I could get a full range of speakers, including in-ceiling atmos speakers. I'm not sure I could hang a pair of 36kg speakers from competing brands in my room as it was not purpose built, rather it was converted to cinema use.

I also considered and demoed other speaker systems usually found in homes, such as Bowers & Wilkins, KEF and such. Trounced easily by Procella. Not even close. Yes, it wasn't A/B, but I don't have that option as I could only rely on what dealers have available in their theatre rooms or demo rooms.

There are cheaper brands than Procella, but mostly cheaper for a reason . If you are based in the US, then you might have competitive options at a cost effective price point, but you will need room to fit large speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
I have Procella P6 up front and Triad for ATMOS and surrounds like many others. The main reason for the Procellas was their size, more specific the depth. They are very shallow and wide vs most other brands the speaker are deep. So I could get my AT screen closer to the wall and my father from my front rows eyes.

Hope this all made sense?
Thanks! How big is your room?
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #508 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Thanks! How big is your room?
My room is very small. 3.6 metre x 6.2 metre x (3 metre high). The speakers are overkill to be honest, but I might get a bigger room at some point so wanted to buy something that would work in that case as well.

The reason for getting Procella P6 for LCR was that I needed them to be not very deep, so they don't take up too much space behind the screen, as I am at the limit of my projector's throw distance for the size screen I want.

Equipment: Epson 9300W projector, Panasonic UB-424, AppleTV4K, Procella Audio Speakers...
Uppsalaing is offline  
post #509 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Horta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Thanks! How big is your room?
Well my room is on the smaller side also. 13' wide x 18' deep with 10' ceilings. two rows of seating 12' wide scope screen.

Its also a Dennis Erskine desgined room. I will be posting a build thread soon. 2 yr project, but finally all done.
Horta is offline  
post #510 of 634 Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,018
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
Well my room is on the smaller side also. 13' wide x 18' deep with 10' ceilings. two rows of seating 12' wide scope screen.

Its also a Dennis Erskine desgined room. I will be posting a build thread soon. 2 yr project, but finally all done.
Great! What Triad models are you using?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | Nord NC500 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Monolith 12" x4
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia 20 CC | Polk Surrounds | Rythmik FV15HP x2
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Procella P6

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off