what speakers to get for $2.5k budget with Denon receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everybody,

Don't mean to just lazily ask for help, I did check out many threads here and to be honest, I am more overwhelmed by all the options than more knowledgeable.

So maybe (hopefully) you guys could help me out with your input regarding the latest speakers and what I should get.

First, some info about my setup:

- receiver: DenonAVR-4310CI
- room: 18 feet long, 9 feet high, almost 10 feet wide
- room redone into home theater, no obstructions in the listening path, there's just a couch in the back, furniture with projector behind the couch
- used for blu-ray/DVD/streaming (movie only, not music)
- looking for center, L/F towers and subwoofer - my side and back surrounds are fine, but if there's a set with side surrounds included (in case I don't by the speakers separately), then they would have to be wall mounted (not recessed, although back L can be on a stand)

Max to spend would be $2500 plus taxes.

I hope that's enough information, if not, just let me know.

At first I was looking at these recommendations:
http://www.hometheater.com/speaker-buyers-guide

and after coming here and reading through threads, I'm now a bit lost (so much to choose from).

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help!

JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
Some questions for you. Are you willing to look at used speakers? Have you had certain speakers in the past that you liked? Do you live near stereo stores so you can audition. At 2500 you have many options. You really need to go see what your ears like. It can be overwhelming but in the end you need to listen to the different speakers and see what you prefer. If it were me I would get a sub and main L R speakers and go phantom for the center. I like that sound better than having a center but I am in the minority with this idea.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Lot's of competition in this price range. If you can demo some Vandersteen 2CE's that run around $2000 I would put it on the list. If you can find a dealer that will allow you to demo at home that would be even better. Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2916 Post(s)
Liked: 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandenis View Post

Hey everybody,

Don't mean to just lazily ask for help, I did check out many threads here and to be honest, I am more overwhelmed by all the options than more knowledgeable.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the help!

JD

If you want to stay on the merry-go round, then just ask for
reccomendations on this forum. Time for you, to go out and
do some auditions.

post #5 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What's the main listening goal here? Do you want to accurately reproduce music? Do you want to get chest impact and visceral reproduction of movie soundtracks? Or do you want a speaker that does both fairly well?

It also sounds like you're wanting to get 4 speakers for the $2500, is that correct? Left, right, center plus a subwoofer?

Lots of choices in this range that are very good, but we should know your use and preferences first.

-Chad
post #6 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

@taam: used speakers can work, but I haven't had that many positive experiences with buying used equipment. I've stuck with my Cambridge Soundworks for 10 years, so I'm not biased to any specific brand. There are not that many stores around but enough to certainly go out there and audition a few, I will definitely do that.

@class A: at home would be great, I will check who offers that service and thanks for the recommendation.

@zieglj01: I'm not sure I understand your post. What about the merry-go round? Do you mean that asking for recs will lead to nothing and that I need to listen to speakers instead? I agree, but I'm just asking for recommendations so that I can get a picture of what people consider to be good ones, so I have a range of products as reference and know which brands to avoid (comparing to cables for instance where Monster cables are a waste of money). I will then try to listen to them to form my own, final, subjective judgment.

@thirdeye11: that's a good question. Naively, I would like the closest reproduction of theater sound. I work at Lucasfilm and our theater is fantastic here. Obviously no comparison to my budget, but I do like the movie experience of a nice bass while still maintaining a clear delivery of dialogue and the score. I won't use the speakers for just listening to music.
And yes, L/R/C + sub is ideal, since my side and back surrounds still work great. Technically they all still work great, except my sub died on me. But since the set is pretty old, I'm looking at upgrading the whole thing.

Thanks for the questions and feedback everybody!
post #7 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
For a theatrical sound, you might want to look at some Klipsch RF setups, they should be easy to demo where ever you live. I wouldn't buy Klipsch subwoofers though. For subwoofers, look to Elemental Designs, Hsu Research, Rythmik subs, Epik subwoofers, SVS, or Outlaw Audio. Chase Home Theater looks like they have some commercial cinema style speakers for home use too, you might look them up, and they also have terrific subwoofers as well. Hsu Research has some pretty decent speakers too, you might look into getting a 3.2 package from them.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
One option that I've happily chosen is the Canadian, direct from manufacturer company Axiom Audio (axiomaudio.com). Excellent SQ for less because there is no middleman.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

For a theatrical sound, you might want to look at some Klipsch RF setups, they should be easy to demo where ever you live. I wouldn't buy Klipsch subwoofers though. For subwoofers, look to Elemental Designs, Hsu Research, Rythmik subs, Epik subwoofers, SVS, or Outlaw Audio. Chase Home Theater looks like they have some commercial cinema style speakers for home use too, you might look them up, and they also have terrific subwoofers as well. Hsu Research has some pretty decent speakers too, you might look into getting a 3.2 package from them.

I second all the suggestions regarding a subwoofer above. It's right on the outside of your budget, but I'd recommend 3 of these for your L/C/R:

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/single-8ht/

These are built for theater sound, and I've been told they do very well with music too. They're built to play loud and have lots of dynamics just like movie soundtracks do. That being said, they're also not much to look at. If you want something that looks better, this may not be the best option. It should be one of your best options for output and impact though.

Cheers,
Chad
post #10 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2916 Post(s)
Liked: 2803
[QUOTE, jeandenis) I'm not sure I understand your post. What about the merry-go round? Do you mean that asking for recs will lead to nothing and that I need to listen to speakers instead? I agree, but I'm just asking for recommendations so that I can get a picture of what people consider to be good ones, so I have a range of products as reference and know which brands to avoid (comparing to cables for instance where Monster cables are a waste of money). I will then try to listen to them to form my own, final, subjective judgment.
[/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It was that you say, that you have already looked at magazines and
read thru the forums. You will get more reccomendations again, and it
can continue to over whelm you, with more added to the table. How
ever, why not - check on PSB and Focal, both strike a good balance
with movies and music. Most of us will agree that, you need to go to
the sub experts.

I can reccomend 8 more however, enough for now. Have fun, it is
an interesting adventure.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks a lot guys! Klipsch got recommended at work as well, but great to know about the sub. Thanks for sharing all that!
post #12 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I second all the suggestions regarding a subwoofer above. It's right on the outside of your budget, but I'd recommend 3 of these for your L/C/R:

http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/single-8ht/

These are built for theater sound, and I've been told they do very well with music too. They're built to play loud and have lots of dynamics just like movie soundtracks do. That being said, they're also not much to look at. If you want something that looks better, this may not be the best option. It should be one of your best options for output and impact though.

Cheers,
Chad

Those would be terrific speakers but buying them would leave no money for a subwoofer in his budget.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
If your looking at a HT setup rather than 2 main speakers check out Atlantic Technology they offer speaker packages including subs that will conform to the size of your room. They have been around for years and have an excellent reputation.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking at left and right, plus center and sub, not just L and R. Thanks again for the help guys!
post #15 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Quoted: 3595 Post(s)
Liked: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeandenis View Post

@taam: used speakers can work, but I haven't had that many positive experiences with buying used equipment. I've stuck with my Cambridge Soundworks for 10 years, so I'm not biased to any specific brand. There are not that many stores around but enough to certainly go out there and audition a few, I will definitely do that.

@class A: at home would be great, I will check who offers that service and thanks for the recommendation.

@zieglj01: I'm not sure I understand your post. What about the merry-go round? Do you mean that asking for recs will lead to nothing and that I need to listen to speakers instead? I agree, but I'm just asking for recommendations so that I can get a picture of what people consider to be good ones, so I have a range of products as reference and know which brands to avoid (comparing to cables for instance where Monster cables are a waste of money). I will then try to listen to them to form my own, final, subjective judgment.

@thirdeye11: that's a good question. Naively, I would like the closest reproduction of theater sound. I work at Lucasfilm and our theater is fantastic here. Obviously no comparison to my budget, but I do like the movie experience of a nice bass while still maintaining a clear delivery of dialogue and the score. I won't use the speakers for just listening to music.
And yes, L/R/C + sub is ideal, since my side and back surrounds still work great. Technically they all still work great, except my sub died on me. But since the set is pretty old, I'm looking at upgrading the whole thing.

Thanks for the questions and feedback everybody!

My recommendation is for CHT in your price range. Definitely theater sound, I think you'd be surprised once you listened.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-27-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Those would be terrific speakers but buying them would leave no money for a subwoofer in his budget.

Everyone knows that if the right option is presented, almost every budget is flexible

For movie dynamics, there are probably few better choices in the price range.

Cheers,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page