Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4346Likes

post #5281 of 9293 Old 12-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 50
YES my silver binding posts have arrived at casa de murphy! My speakers will ship out next week.
Heh a lot of trouble for something which probably has no effect on sound. I feel like I was on the quest for the silver binding posts like Matt Berry on snuff box trying to buy silver cowboy boots. I sold myself on these because my binding posts will not be soldered like some peasants forcing audio through tin and lead, they will be set screwed with direct copper to silver contact! (I know this is nonsense)

hernanu likes this.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp

Last edited by uncola; 12-21-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 9293 Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncola View Post
YES my silver binding posts have arrived at casa de murphy! My speakers will ship out next week.
Heh a lot of trouble for something which probably has no effect on sound. I feel like I was on the quest for the silver binding posts like Matt Berry on snuff box trying to buy silver cowboy boots. I sold myself on these because my binding posts will not be soldered like some peasants forcing audio through tin and lead, they will be set screwed with direct copper to silver contact! (I know this is nonsense)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdWI5OksQNI
Well, they look kind of cool anyhow. Happy Holidays Everyone! I'm off to Arizona, where it's about 15 degrees cooler than in Washington, D.C.
t1337Dude and ien2 like this.
post #5283 of 9293 Old 12-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Do the BMR or philharmonitors come with rubber feet?
I was thinking of getting these to prevent scratching if I have to move them, are they suitable? or should I spring for sorbothane?
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Stick-Noi...33MRG4CPSSYJFA

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem...33MRG4CPSSYJFA

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Odyssey Kismet Monoblocks, Soekris Dac, Hattor active preamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5284 of 9293 Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do the BMR or philharmonitors come with rubber feet?
I was thinking of getting these to prevent scratching if I have to move them, are they suitable? or should I spring for sorbothane?
http://www.amazon.com/Self-Stick-Noi...33MRG4CPSSYJFA

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hem...33MRG4CPSSYJFA
I've never tried those. I do use the 1" sorbothane feet for the Phil 3 top cabinet. They're more expensive, but they completely block vibrations from the bass cabinet from reaching the upper cabinets. Magic. They would probably work on stands, although I would have to charge for them (a little under $20 for a set of 8).
post #5285 of 9293 Old 12-22-2015, 05:42 PM

could you use the price difference for the binding posts? If not, $20 sounds very reasonable

post #5286 of 9293 Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
could you use the price difference for the binding posts? If not, $20 sounds very reasonable
I don't have your order facts with me in Arizona, but I'll certainly credit you for any overpayment for the binding posts we ended up with.
post #5287 of 9293 Old 12-26-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good evening and Merry Christmas Dennis, I was researching new L+R+C speakers after many years and realized that you have your own company now. I am very happy to come across it. I am eager to give it a try and wanted to reach out to you with some questions:

Here is a thread about my current setup: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post40038554

Which speaker may be a good fit for my situation: Philharmonitor or BMR? Given that it is a fairly large room, do you think the speakers can reach 70dB volume in that size? I tend to listen at fairly quiet levels and never see myself listening over 70dB.

Speakers will be driven by Emotiva Monoblocks with [email protected] The placement will be very close to wall, so they need to be front ported or sealed.

Also what is the main difference between your speakers vs Salk's comparable speakers?

Thank you!
post #5288 of 9293 Old 12-26-2015, 11:53 PM

hi KeyurM I think dennis is on a trip til sunday but I think if you're getting a custom cabinet with front port, you should go with the bigger BMR since you get more bang for your buck with more physical size to show off the pretty custom wood veneer. Not sure he even offers a custom cabinet option for the new philharmonitor. You can see the custom cabinet he made for the BMR for someone in these posts
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post38431105
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post38439353
t1337Dude and KeyurM like this.

post #5289 of 9293 Old 12-27-2015, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Is there a preferred center channel that mates well with the affordable accuracy monitors version 2, in keeping with the moniker "affordable accuracy"? TIA
post #5290 of 9293 Old 12-27-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyurM View Post
Good evening and Merry Christmas Dennis, I was researching new L+R+C speakers after many years and realized that you have your own company now. I am very happy to come across it. I am eager to give it a try and wanted to reach out to you with some questions:

Here is a thread about my current setup: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post40038554

Which speaker may be a good fit for my situation: Philharmonitor or BMR? Given that it is a fairly large room, do you think the speakers can reach 70dB volume in that size? I tend to listen at fairly quiet levels and never see myself listening over 70dB.

Speakers will be driven by Emotiva Monoblocks with [email protected] The placement will be very close to wall, so they need to be front ported or sealed.

Also what is the main difference between your speakers vs Salk's comparable speakers?

Thank you!
I'm back from frigid Arizona, and am working on my tan line here in balmy Washington D.C. I think either the new monitors or the BMR could fill the room, particularly with a sub in the mix. And you have plenty of power. The parameters for the Scan Revelator woofer in the new monitor indicate that it might work sealed if you're crossing to a sub at 80 Hz. I'll try that on a pair I have up and running to make sure there's enough information getting through down there. That would allow you to get the prefabricated cabinets, which are considerably cheaper ($1,150/pr) than a pair of Salk custom cabinets with front ports ($1,450), and they would be ready much sooner. But your significant other would have to be happy with cherry or maple veneer. I think the curved sides are quite attractive, but I can also get those in conventional rectangular configuration. There really aren't any comparable Salk speakers in this price range. You would have to go up to the Silk monitor, which is over twice the price of a custom Salk Philharmonitor or BMR. I haven't compared them side by side with either of my speakers. They would probably be closer in character with the new monitors than the BMR's. As for the relative merits of the new monitor and the BMR, the deeper bass of the BMR would be a waste with a sub. The highs are identical. The sound staging will be a little wider and deeper with the BMR, which is just the result of basic physics. The midrange driver in the BMR has broader dispersion than the top range of the woofer used in the new monitor. The cost of that is size--the BMR's are big to house all of those drivers, and that would call for another chat with the significant other.
KeyurM likes this.
post #5291 of 9293 Old 12-27-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob62 View Post
Is there a preferred center channel that mates well with the affordable accuracy monitors version 2, in keeping with the moniker "affordable accuracy"? TIA
Yup--I'm still offering my mod of the Pioneer C22 MTM center, which matches the new monitor's voicing closely and has the same finish. I've had to raise the price to $120 because my wholesale cost for the stock unit went up. But I think that's still affordable. You can also just turn the new monitor on its side. A single unit would be $100.
post #5292 of 9293 Old 12-28-2015, 04:23 PM
jlx

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
are there any graphs yet for the new monitor in both the sealed PE and the ported Salk cabinets?? I am particularly curious as to what the low end extension is for the ported version

partially insane
post #5293 of 9293 Old 12-28-2015, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
are there any graphs yet for the new monitor in both the sealed PE and the ported Salk cabinets?? I am particularly curious as to what the low end extension is for the ported version
One point to correct first. Both the PE and Salk cabinets are ported in their usual configuration. And both could be sealed if that's preferable. I have Paul Kittinger's modeling for the ported response, and I'll try to get that up this week. And I'll also try and make a near-field measurement of the woofer in a sealed cabinet tonight.
post #5294 of 9293 Old 12-28-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I ran a near field measurement of the new monitor with the cabinet sealed. The cabinet tunes to 60 Hz, which is pretty good for a 5.5" woofer. The minus 3dB point is around 65 Hz, and it's about 7 dB down at 50 Hz. In the ported version, the -3dB point is about 45 Hz, with some useful output at 40 Hz.
KeyurM likes this.
post #5295 of 9293 Old 12-29-2015, 03:57 AM
jlx

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
what are the dimensions of the front ported Salk version?

partially insane
post #5296 of 9293 Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
what are the dimensions of the front ported Salk version?
The same--he uses a slotted port that will fit on the regular baffle.
post #5297 of 9293 Old 12-29-2015, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi Dennis, are you in charge of the philharmonics site? i sent a email a couple days ago to no reply but anyways, im new to the speaker world and had a couple questions if you could answer. i was planning on running the AAM2 off a T-Amp like the Topping TP22 atleast for the time-being which is rated at 30wpc do you think thats enough for a smaller room? another question is how far should the monitors come out from the wall for optimal sound? im also in south carolina and was wondering what the shipping would be. thanks alot. -jon
post #5298 of 9293 Old 12-29-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr33nL34f View Post
Hi Dennis, are you in charge of the philharmonics site? i sent a email a couple days ago to no reply but anyways, im new to the speaker world and had a couple questions if you could answer. i was planning on running the AAM2 off a T-Amp like the Topping TP22 atleast for the time-being which is rated at 30wpc do you think thats enough for a smaller room? another question is how far should the monitors come out from the wall for optimal sound? im also in south carolina and was wondering what the shipping would be. thanks alot. -jon
Hi Jon I'm not seeing an e-mail from you. Could you please send me a short message at the [email protected] e-mail and I'll get back to you on these questions. Thanks
post #5299 of 9293 Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Hi Jon I'm not seeing an e-mail from you. Could you please send me a short message at the [email protected] e-mail and I'll get back to you on these questions. Thanks
sent another one.
post #5300 of 9293 Old 01-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking

Quote:
I ran a near field measurement of the new monitor with the cabinet sealed. The cabinet tunes to 60 Hz, which is pretty good for a 5.5" woofer. The minus 3dB point is around 65 Hz, and it's about 7 dB down at 50 Hz. In the ported version, the -3dB point is about 45 Hz, with some useful output at 40 Hz.
Thank you for running the sealed measurements Dennis. Looks like I can place sealed Philharmonitors against the wall and and cross over to the sub at 80 Hz.

Do you have gloss black cabinets coming in anytime soon?
post #5301 of 9293 Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyurM View Post
Thank you for running the sealed measurements Dennis. Looks like I can place sealed Philharmonitors against the wall and and cross over to the sub at 80 Hz.

Do you have gloss black cabinets coming in anytime soon?
I can get them within 2 days, curved or straight-sided
post #5302 of 9293 Old 01-03-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've posted details on the new Philharmonitor on my site: http://philharmonicaudio.com/New%20Philharmonitor.html

I forgot to mention on the new page that a sealed version for use with subs or as a surround is available for $50 less.
post #5303 of 9293 Old 01-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 62
This is a great news, Dennis, I assume that the sealed version's crossover adjusted to compensate for no-port?
Also is the square version of the enclosure available only through Salk?
Are dimensions of the square enclosure similar to curved one?

Quote:
I've posted details on the new Philharmonitor on my site: http://philharmonicaudio.com/New%20Philharmonitor.html

I forgot to mention on the new page that a sealed version for use with subs or as a surround is available for $50 less.
post #5304 of 9293 Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
This is a great news, Dennis, I assume that the sealed version's crossover adjusted to compensate for no-port?
Also is the square version of the enclosure available only through Salk?
Are dimensions of the square enclosure similar to curved one?
Crossover changes really aren't needed--it' s just a question of how extended the bass is. And in any event, the sealed version would be used with a sub, so there will be plenty of bass, and to a degree that I could not anticipate and compensate for with crossover changes. There are still straight-sided versions of the prefabricated cabinets available.
post #5305 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 02:49 AM

My New Philharmonitors arrived and are awesome. Too soon to really talk about sound(only listened to three songs) but Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Session definitely has a wider soundstage with more natural female vocals. Curved enclosures with cherry veneer and my silver binding posts look excellent. I hope these are the last speakers I ever buy

Here's some unboxing photos and close ups
http://imgur.com/a/nZvL5

charmerci and Gmash like this.

post #5306 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
nice looking speakers, uncola! I predict you will really like that ribbon tweeter AND the bass from those!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5307 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Those look like the same speaker posts as on the Sierra-1 & 2.
post #5308 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY View Post
Those look like the same speaker posts as on the Sierra-1 & 2.
They're very similar, but the posts on the Sierra 2 I had here didn't have the red and black double gaskets up against the back of the cabinet. And, of course, that makes all the difference.
smurraybhm and BufordTJustice like this.
post #5309 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 820
And postseason same as my Polk LSiM 703s except mine are dual. Cabinet looks similar also.. Ha-ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #5310 of 9293 Old 01-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
They're very similar, but the posts on the Sierra 2 I had here didn't have the red and black double gaskets up against the back of the cabinet. And, of course, that makes all the difference.
Oh, no doubt. I bet you could hear better bass definition, imaging and more detailed highs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page