Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 192 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4146Likes

post #5731 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoseph View Post
Dennis do you have any updates on the Quasi Affordable?
They sound intriguing.
I'm finishing a pair of the smaller sealed versions in a couple of days and then I'll take a good listen. I'm sure they'll be fine as surrounds, particularly since the dispersion is so wide. But I want to make sure they'll really provide sound worth the price as desktop monitors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5732 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
jlx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
could you post the dimensions and pictures of the Q A's ??

partially insane
post #5733 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1905 Post(s)
Liked: 2035
just how affordable is Quasi?

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5734 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
could you post the dimensions and pictures of the Q A's ??
The cabinets look just like the one pictured on my Philharmonitor page, only smaller. The tweeter is the same, and the woofer is aluminum with a phase plug. The dimensions of the small sealed version are: 12" H x (7.5" Front, 4.5" Back) W x 11" D.

How affordable is Quasi? Not terribly, I'm afraid. The sealed would have to run around $700/pr, and the larger ported around $750/pr.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 02-10-2017 at 07:35 PM.
post #5735 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
jlx

so it is the .25 cu ft cabinet then... Also you originally were going to use a Fountek neocd3 if I recall correctly.

partially insane
post #5736 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
so it is the .25 cu ft cabinet then... Also you originally were going to use a Fountek neocd3 if I recall correctly.
I don't recall considering the Fountek. I chose the woofer specifically for its ability to run smoothly enough to work with the RAAL tweeter. Yes, it's the .25 cut ft. And the larger ported uses the .38.
post #5737 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
I'm finishing a pair of the smaller sealed versions in a couple of days and then I'll take a good listen. I'm sure they'll be fine as surrounds, particularly since the dispersion is so wide. But I want to make sure they'll really provide sound worth the price as desktop monitors.
What was your opinion of the ported model?

Are there any other speakers at that price point with a Raal tweeter ?
post #5738 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What was your opinion of the ported model?

Are there any other speakers at that price point with a Raal tweeter ?
I liked the larger version, although there's no bass below 55 Hz. As to whether it has any RAAL neighbors in this price range, I know Ascend has been working on a smaller version of the Sierra 2, but the last time I checked I couldn't find any pricing on it. I doubt that it will be as low as $700, assuming Dave wants to keep the lights on at corporate headquarters.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 02-10-2017 at 07:34 PM.
post #5739 of 9163 Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM
jlx

The Ascend Luna, dimensions are 10.5 x 6 x 6 and I think somewhere around $1200. I'm on the preorder list

partially insane
post #5740 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A couple of days ago I've finished installing my new Philharmonic AAM's and Center Channel at home. My room is 12' x 14' but it's really far from acoustically perfect; it contains a library that fills the rear wall, my old desk as an entertainment center and two large bookshelves where I keep my car collection.

I had to play a bit with the front speaker's placement and receiver's configuration, but after lots of trial and error, I'm really happy with the awesome sound I now have. What amazes me the most is the clarity of sound these speakers produce, it is simply astonishing.

If Dennis Murphy is capable of doing this with so called 'cheap speakers' I can only imagine how wonderful his other more expensive speakers sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1956881  
ahblaza and gajCA like this.

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
post #5741 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 8800 Post(s)
Liked: 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
A couple of days ago I've finished installing my new Philharmonic AAM's and Center Channel at home. My room is 12' x 14' but it's really far from acoustically perfect; it contains a library that fills the rear wall, my old desk as an entertainment center and two large bookshelves where I keep my car collection.

I had to play a bit with the front speaker's placement and receiver's configuration, but after lots of trial and error, I'm really happy with the awesome sound I now have. What amazes me the most is the clarity of sound these speakers produce, it is simply astonishing.

If Dennis Murphy is capable of doing this with so called 'cheap speakers' I can only imagine how wonderful his other more expensive speakers sound.
Nice.

A library full of books filling the back wall is actually a very good thing!
ahblaza, jomartz and BluesDaddy56 like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5742 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post

Whether you consider 700/pr or 1600/pr cheap or expensive, you can do a little math and quickly determine that most of what you are paying for with Philharmonics speakers is material cost...there is not a 300% mark up. Dennis is pretty upfront with what drivers, cabinets and his own crossover designs. if you look up the cost of the drivers (PE, madison Sound Speaker store, etc) you quickly see the value in the speaker. You would NOT be able DIY much cheaper. Dennis must be dealing in stolen diamonds on the side!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #5743 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
You would NOT be able DIY much cheaper. Dennis must be dealing in stolen diamonds on the side!
The DIYers are brave folks.

Once you put your hands on it you pretty much own it!

Not a chance I'd personally go that route!

The fabric dome tweeter he puts in the AA Center is $25...and he changes/improves the crossover.

He sells the modified $100 speaker, (I'm sure he gets some minor discount), for $125 for crying out loud.

We'd have been just as happy if it were $129.

Dennis, ALL your prices should end in a 9 not a 5 or a 0...and by that I mean round UP not DOWN!
KramerTC and ahblaza like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5744 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The DIYers are brave folks.

Once you put your hands on it you pretty much own it!

Not a chance I'd personally go that route!

The fabric dome tweeter he puts in the AA Center is $25...and he changes/improves the crossover.

He sells the modified $100 speaker, (I'm sure he gets some minor discount), for $125 for crying out loud.

We'd have been just as happy if it were $129.

Dennis, ALL your prices should end in a 9 not a 5 or a 0...and by that I mean round UP not DOWN!
I think you mean $129.99. One reason I have to hold down my prices in the budget category is the crummy shipping rates I get from Fed Ex (and UPS is even more expensive). For example, a large majority of my orders comes from California. Fed Ex recently raised my West Coast shipping for one pair of AA's to $56. ,Even at $210/pr, if I actually charged people that much, the delivered price would be $266/pr, placing my product above most of the competition if ordered from Amazon using free 2-day Prime shipping. I've been capping shipping at $40, but when I implemented that my actual cost was $46. I'm going to have raise the cap even though it probably means I'll lose most of the West Coast sales.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #5745 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 08:12 PM

Dennis you referred to your Quasi Affordable Health Care Monitors prototype as desktops, if you were to market them would they not be suitable for a medium to large sized living room assuming a 10 to 15 ft listening position? (Assuming the use of a subwoofer)
post #5746 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dennis you referred to your Quasi Affordable Health Care Monitors prototype as desktops, if you were to market them would they not be suitable for a medium to large sized living room assuming a 10 to 15 ft listening position? (Assuming the use of a subwoofer)
They would work in that space with a sub. Without a sub, they become a bit of a niche item in a larger room. Most of the competition would go lower, as would the much cheaper Affordable Accuracy monitor. So it would come down to a matter of how much the RAAL tweeter meant to you.
post #5747 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
They would work in that space with a sub. Without a sub, they become a bit of a niche item in a larger room. Most of the competition would go lower, as would the much cheaper Affordable Accuracy monitor. So it would come down to a matter of how much the RAAL tweeter meant to you.
Risking being an "askhole" in your opinion are RAAL tweeters a significant improvement worth the money?
post #5748 of 9163 Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Risking being an "askhole" in your opinion are RAAL tweeters a significant improvement worth the money?
I think that depends on your listening habits. The RAAL,and other quality ribbons, don't sound like domes. Domes have more energy in the sssssssssssssss region. The RAAL's sound like someone stretched out the response of a dome, with a resulting gain in high-end air and a more natural sound on cymbals and triangles, and to a lesser extent upper strings. If your tastes cater to classical and jazz in live venues, then I think the RAAL is an improvement over a typical dome. For rock and studio-mixed vocals with simple instrumentation, you might actually prefer the more forward sound of a dome.
gajCA likes this.
post #5749 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just to elaborate on what Dennis is saying...I have the Phil-BMR...and the speaker and the RAAL is termedously accurate and crystal clear in the high end. For music, this speaker is spectacular, if you enjoy a neutral speaker with very clear highs! In my HT, I have EMPtek speakers, a very good speaker, but nothing like the Phils for musical detail! For music, the Phil crush the EMPs in terms of SQ and listening pleasure! However, when I tried out the Phils in my theater, well, the difference was much closer. Now, there was occassional affects that stood out with the Phils, but overall, the dome in my EMPS does very well for HT. Not so good for music, especially classical and jazz.
So I am usually careful to recommend the Phil/RAAL to people who have the budget and list music as a big reason for wanting speakers. If you want mostly HT, it hink a good dome will do well and can be a lot cheaper.
ahblaza and gajCA like this.

post #5750 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Just to elaborate on what Dennis is saying...I have the Phil-BMR...and the speaker and the RAAL is termedously accurate and crystal clear in the high end. For music, this speaker is spectacular, if you enjoy a neutral speaker with very clear highs!
How do you find the BMR for playing non-ideal music sources, like MP3 and streaming content? With my old Ascend 340s, I found that all that accuracy and detail could be quite unforgiving of poor sources...they excelled with well recorded CDs of course, but I am not so lucky as to have a library full of redbook CDs.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5751 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

of course, the RAAL will tell you every flaw in the recording, but I will take that everyday. Listening to some Mp3 right now, rock, Foo Fighter and they sound excellent. Earlier, I had a poorly recorded you tube video on and I had to stop watching, the audio was so bad! I will take a speaker that is accurate and you just quickly learn what are the bad recordings and avoid them when you can.
gajCA likes this.

post #5752 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I think you mean $129.99. One reason I have to hold down my prices in the budget category is the crummy shipping rates I get from Fed Ex (and UPS is even more expensive). For example, a large majority of my orders comes from California. Fed Ex recently raised my West Coast shipping for one pair of AA's to $56. ,Even at $210/pr, if I actually charged people that much, the delivered price would be $266/pr, placing my product above most of the competition if ordered from Amazon using free 2-day Prime shipping. I've been capping shipping at $40, but when I implemented that my actual cost was $46. I'm going to have raise the cap even though it probably means I'll lose most of the West Coast sales.
You are entirely correct; if it were me I'd simply raise the base price to be perfectly honest; I have to believe the vast majority of your customers are word of mouth and that even $229/pair before shipping the Affordable Accuracy monitors are still a tremendous value. RBH and Q Acoustics are $250 and $160/pair for 5" monitors BUT where they fall down is the expense of their centers.

I was a bit shocked when as a courtesy to an AVS member I sent them a set of Dayton Audio front threes I paid like $80 bucks for, (bought them on a whim to see how crap they would be and I was pleasantly surprised that at that price they were still better than a soundbar), and said I'd pay shipping as the speakers were not that heavy and "how much could it cost anyway."

It was from Santa Rosa CA to north Florida and I thing it was $70!

Worst of all the AVS member didn't follow through and post his impression of those super budget speakers as I'd requested as a courtesy for the expense.

Ah well, the experiment was still worth it and I'd rather he have them than have them sitting in my garage.

Had I known about your AA monitors at the time I might have gotten those instead of my 1/2 price LX16s.

But, bottom line, use 9.99 instead of 5.00!

We want you to stick around!

Geoff A. J., California
post #5753 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I think that depends on your listening habits. The RAAL,and other quality ribbons, don't sound like domes. Domes have more energy in the sssssssssssssss region. The RAAL's sound like someone stretched out the response of a dome, with a resulting gain in high-end air and a more natural sound on cymbals and triangles, and to a lesser extent upper strings. If your tastes cater to classical and jazz in live venues, then I think the RAAL is an improvement over a typical dome. For rock and studio-mixed vocals with simple instrumentation, you might actually prefer the more forward sound of a dome.
That's exactly what I found with the Folded Motion tweeter in my LX16s vs. the domes in the Q Acoustics I tested them against.

I definitely preferred the LX16 by a hair for detail in jazz, classical and acoustic music but the Q Acoustics just sounded clearly better on piano.

Marginal at best of course, to find it took hours of A/B instant switching at matched SPLs.

If I were replacing my Usher towers today it would be with one of your RAAL speakers likely the slim monitor as I have a smallish space for my HT, (12x15 or thereabouts with the front right sitting very close to a wood stove...which is actually now a wood stove lookalike powered by gas), and my cats used to knock the standmounters over that I had before the towers.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5754 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
How do you find the BMR for playing non-ideal music sources, like MP3 and streaming content?
I think that depends on your ears. I find bad or even mediocre recordings intolerable the louder I play them (RAAL/New Philharmonitor.) I guess that why they say to listen for yourself.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #5755 of 9163 Old 02-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
I have to say shipping does upset me. But knowing how hard you work to get great speakers to people at a ridiculously low price you are not going to lose me due to shipping. I just have to figure out what less than a year old speaker i want to throw out in order to buy another Philharmonic.
post #5756 of 9163 Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
I just got my pair of AA monitors yesterday to replace my JBL arena 180s. I also have the AA center which is outstanding. The AA monitors are a great looking speaker and quite heavy. First thing I noticed during setup is that although the new AAs have a sensitivity 3.5 db less than my JBLs my receiver only boosted them an additional 1db. Also the JBLs claimed FR had a bottom much lower than the AAs yet my receiver set the AAs as full range and the JBLs were not. So I put in the sample CD that comes with the speakers and immediately notice how now I have what seems to be one 12? wide wall of speakers. I already had this cd from my purchase of the center but I heard sounds I haven?t heard before. Next I put in AlDimeola Casino, boy what a change I can hear incredible detail in the bongos on ?Chasin? the Voodoo?. It is rather easy to tell which songs he uses steel strings as opposed to whatever other exotic strings he uses. When I listened to Jean Luc Ponte?s Cosmic Messenger, I could hear his hand moving up and down the fret board and it had a much more 3d like sound. Then I moved on to my many heavy metal CDs. The increase in detail was there too but what I felt stood out the most was the thump of the bass coming from everywhere. My receiver recommended I set my sub and crossover to 50hz so now not only was my sub?s location more ?hidden? but I was getting great bass from the AA monitors. That?s just my experience with music. I played some video games and that was better too. Next week I will drag these babies to my friend?s house to see how they compare with his nearly 10x as expensive definitive technology?s. He already thinks the AA center is better than his DT center. My only complaint is that with my AA center there was a sticker with Mr. Murphy?s signature and the date created and on these, alas no sticker. These are great sounding speakers that I would recommend to anyone looking for speakers no matter how much they are willing to spend. You will never regret it. Thanks Dennis!
So how did the audition go? Can you provide any more information about the modified center channel that you're enjoying? I might pull the trigger on this to replace the stock pioneer center
post #5757 of 9163 Old 02-14-2017, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I can attest to Raal being nice.
After years with my old setup I suffered from GAS after listening to QUAD 57/Rhythm subwoofer setup.
That setup has much better presence than my old speakers.
However the Quad doesn't have enough bass as full range, adding subwoofers helps but no integration.

After a long wait for Phil Slims order they arrived over the weekend ,
preliminary listening shows they satisfy my Quad urge.
abd1 likes this.
post #5758 of 9163 Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWer View Post
After years with my old setup I suffered from GAS after listening to QUAD 57/Rhythm subwoofer setup.
However the Quad doesn't have enough bass as full range, adding subwoofers helps but no integration.

Yeah, those are great looking speakers.

For music or for movies or both?

Will you be using the sub?

Just looked up the vintage Quad 57's frequency response; 50hz to 10khz.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...d/esl-57.shtml

Geoff A. J., California
post #5759 of 9163 Old 02-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWer View Post

Any images?
post #5760 of 9163 Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Yeah, those are great looking speakers.

For music or for movies or both?

Will you be using the sub?

Just looked up the vintage Quad 57's frequency response; 50hz to 10khz.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...d/esl-57.shtml
Well, it could do a bit better than 10 kHz. I worked with one of the 57's a few years back. Compared with other speakers from that era, it had a much more even response on axis, and the tweeter panel reached 20 kHz easily, albeit a bit erratically. The main problem is a very narrow sweet spot. If you stand up, the highs go away, not because of poor vertical dispersion but because the tweeter panel begins to cancel with the woofer panel. There is no fix for that. I tried to integrate a ribbon super tweeter thinking at first that would solve the lack of highs, but the problem area was much further down. However, if you were willing to sit down and keep still, the midrange was quite natural, and there were no irritating peaks or dips that plagued most of the competition. I have a frequency response for my sample, but I don't see any way to post images here.
klh007 and gajCA like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page