Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4329Likes

post #6541 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Really loving my new philharmonic AAM. Thanks to Dennis for offering great products and excellent customer service.

I'm enjoying these AAM so much that I got rid of my larger desk and bought a smaller desk so I can plop the AAM on some sand-filled stands. As expected, sound quality improved compared to just sitting on top of my desk raised by boxes. I can listen for hours and not get any fatigue from these. These sound very balanced with deep bass. No sibilance. Mids/highs are present, doesn't sound too forward or recessed to my ears. Many other speakers try to pump up the mid bass to make them sound bassier, can't stand that. I highly recommend these for those on a budget especially if going for 2.0 without a subwoofer. Usage: 95% music, 5% gaming.

I'm still playing with the speaker positioning, but these seem to sound better with the tweeters on the outside and minimal toe-in for my distance of 3-4 feet. Soundstage doesn't collapse as much this way. Approximately 6-inches for the rear port to the wall.

Setup:
  • 40" Samsung 4K TV MU7000 (nice contrast ratio, excellent as a monitor)
  • Pair of philharmonic AAM
  • koss ksc75 (headband mod, quarter mod) - do not like iem or full-size headphones because of comfort
  • Denon 1712 (90watt L/R 8ohm, 125watt L/R 6ohm)
  • PS4
  • Ryzen 1700x build (currently need new gpu badly especially for 4k gaming)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	2418480   Click image for larger version

Name:	061.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	2418508   Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	2418510  
gajCA and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by csgamer; 06-20-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
OK--Here's the tentative list of cities that BMR's will be visiting. They'll go South from Washington, D.C., then hit Texas, Nevada, California, and work back to the East Coast. We'll see how it goes--I might be able to provide a second pair for the East Coast, but not for several weeks.

1) Vinton, VA
2) Charlotte, NC
3) Fort Meyers, FLA
4) Houston, TX area
5) Cedar Park, TX
6) Las Vegas, NEV
7) San Diego, CA
8) Reseda - LA, CA
9) Cincinnati, OH
10) Allegan, Mich
11) Troy, NY
12) NYC area

I hope to get things started by the end of this week.
I can pick them up from Pearland, take them home and demo, then can deliver to Cedar Park if that’s a possibility to save some shipping.
kyzer soze likes this.
post #6543 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I can pick them up from Pearland, take them home and demo, then can deliver to Cedar Park if that’s a possibility to save some shipping.
That would be fine--write me when the BMR's are getting close to Texas and I'll give you the contact info if you don't already know who will have them in Cedar Park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Just bumping this again in case anyone in here is interested. I also have a pair of Affordable Accuracy Monitors.
I would love to be a part of something like that. Unfortunately with Jazzfest this week, I'm booked solid from tonight to Sunday afternoon.

Most of my weekends are booked, if I'm not mixing, I'm playing myself. My side hustle is turning into a full time job!

I'd host an event if there were ever enough interest in the area.
post #6545 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To whoever is in Allegan, I'd bring the beverage of your choice along with any speakers of mine you would like to hear

However I'm pretty light in the speaker game right now though. Only Legacy Studio HD's and KEF R300's. A couple of SVS 12" sealed subs (those will never leave!).

Last edited by jimwhit; 06-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.
post #6546 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthinker View Post
I'm interested. In NYC, and perhaps could even move it onwards to others in the area that might be interested without using FedEx if that's helpful.
Are you the "12) NYC area" recipient? I'm in Brooklyn and am in the market for new speakers. These are pretty much the only ones on my list I'm considering splurging over budget to get, but having never heard them I've been hesitant. I'd love to have a chance to listen to these.
post #6547 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am in the process of purchasing a set of BMRs from Dennis. There are some rear port spacing issues to work on, but I think it's too good of a speaker to pass on because of essentially what is 4" of space. My "new" (old, but miles better than current) turntable is currently being set up, next thing to do is buy a new amplifier section, and then the project will be complete!

For now, at least...

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
post #6548 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TCycleHum View Post
There are some rear port spacing issues to work on..
If you get the Salk cabinets, I'm pretty sure he can put slot ports on the front

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/...harmonitor_in/

post #6549 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
If you get the Salk cabinets, I'm pretty sure he can put slot ports on the front

He can do that, but it will add over 5 months to the build time and a good bit of money.
post #6550 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoNYC View Post
Are you the "12) NYC area" recipient? I'm in Brooklyn and am in the market for new speakers. These are pretty much the only ones on my list I'm considering splurging over budget to get, but having never heard them I've been hesitant. I'd love to have a chance to listen to these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overthinker View Post
I'm interested. In NYC, and perhaps could even move it onwards to others in the area that might be interested without using FedEx if that's helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I signed up also, in Vernon NJ, about 60-90 minutes out of NYC. I'm up for receiving/moving the speakers to others in the area instead of using FedEx.
post #6551 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekeman View Post
I signed up also, in Vernon NJ, about 60-90 minutes out of NYC. I'm up for receiving/moving the speakers to others in the area instead of using FedEx.
I have people in Sussex NH and Hoboken, but I'm not seeing Vernon. Did i confirm this with you?
post #6552 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He can do that, but it will add over 5 months to the build time and a good bit of money.
$1350 -> $1600 = $250 seems fairly reasonable to me. The 5+ month wait would be the hard part 🙂
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

post #6553 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
I have people in Sussex NH and Hoboken, but I'm not seeing Vernon. Did i confirm this with you?
Dennis, I'll bounce back the email you sent me, mailing address is Sussex, NJ, but physically we liver in Vernon NJ. Let me know if there was a misunderstanding on my part.
post #6554 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
$1350 -> $1600 = $250 seems fairly reasonable to me. The 5+ month wait would be the hard part 🙂
Yeah, the wait is the hard part, but the front port isn't entirely necessary either. It's more of those "it would be nice if..." things, but not a deal breaker if not. To be fair, most of the other speakers I was looking at or tested here didn't have a front port either. Still sounds ok in the room. Anyway, this project as a whole has been going since around November of last year (acquiring the turntable, tonearm, cartridge, amplifiers, speakers) so I kind of just want to put an end to it already. I actually just found the phono/power amps in stock locally and with a discount right after placing the order with Dennis. Speakers are the last piece of the puzzle.

I know it's not a custom or furniture finish, but I love the way the cherry cabinets look. Simple, yet elegant and timeless somehow. I'll take some pictures once everything is set sometime next month.

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
post #6555 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
OK--Here's the tentative list of cities that BMR's will be visiting. They'll go South from Washington, D.C., then hit Texas, Nevada, California, and work back to the East Coast. We'll see how it goes--I might be able to provide a second pair for the East Coast, but not for several weeks.

1) Vinton, VA
2) Charlotte, NC
3) Fort Meyers, FLA
4) Houston, TX area
5) Cedar Park, TX
6) Las Vegas, NEV
7) San Diego, CA
8) Reseda - LA, CA
9) Cincinnati, OH
10) Allegan, Mich
11) Troy, NY
12) NYC area

I hope to get things started by the end of this week.
Hey Dennis, I didn't see me on the list, did you get my email on June 16? I sent it to [email protected]. Email was titled "Phil BMR Tour"

Thanks!
post #6556 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It gets a little complicated. $1600 gets you a rear-ported Salk cabinet with a standard veneer, but not with a furniture grade finish. That's $200 extra. And the front port is part of the structure of the cabinet and adds a good bit of labor-that's another $100. So you're up to $1,900 for a standard veneer, perfectly smooth finish, front port.
post #6557 of 9286 Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I'm somewhat closeish, in Lincoln, NE. Okay so that's not that close, but I plan to upgrade this fall and after doing a lot of looking around, I'm convinced that I'd need to pay double the asking price of the BMRs to get anything much "better", so I may just pull the trigger sight unseen. Dennis has a very compelling lineup. I believe Elihawk is in Iowa so there are a few of us in this region.

Before I came to my senses - actually more like a few folk here slapped some sense into me - I was prepared to spend nearly twice as much for a pair of big name speakers that are, on a good day, maybe only as good as the BMR that arrived yesterday .

What I wanted in a set of speakers, and what I believe I got in these BMR, is faithful and detailed reproduction of the artist's and recording engineer's intent and the instruments of their art. I didn't want the music flavored by some juvenile marketing research that says I like my bass all jacked up.

Okay, that was a bit harsh but it's late and what I'm listening to and liking as I sit here at 01:30 is some Peter Gabriel on Radio Paradise in full, unbiased detail. All this is happening at about 2 meters and 45 dB by my highly accurate sound meter app.

Buy em. I don't know what you want in speakers but I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed. At worst you demo them for a week and ship them back to Dennis at your expense (not so much different than some on this thread are willing to do in support of the road trip). At best you love and keep them without the buyers remorse that comes from spending too much on something. In fact you can feel pretty damn good about your purchase and enjoy them all the more.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #6558 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It gets a little complicated. $1600 gets you a rear-ported Salk cabinet with a standard veneer, but not with a furniture grade finish. That's $200 extra. And the front port is part of the structure of the cabinet and adds a good bit of labor-that's another $100. So you're up to $1,900 for a standard veneer, perfectly smooth finish, front port.
Ah, I thought you could get away with $1600 and have a front port. That was the other thing, I'm not in the market to buy at this exact moment, but the standard veneer vs "furniture grade finish" (fgf) seems somewhat nebulous to me. Is the fgf just a laquer-type coating on the standard veneer? If that's the case, one picture of a veneer and another of that same veneer but with fgf would be insightful as to whether or not the extra $200 is worthwhile (on top of the original $250 to get to the Salk cabinets)

post #6559 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Has the Cincinnati person made themselves known? I'm in columbus and would love to hear these!
post #6560 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Whoever’s getting them in Charlotte, I would love to come for a listen. I’ll be happy to supply beverages. If interested please PM me.

post #6561 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Since I already own the Phil-BMR and have sent my thoughts many times on this thread and others...I have no pony in this "phil_BMR-appolosa". However, I hope everyone recognizes how generous Dennis is for sending a 1300-1600 dollar speaker out to people, site unseen who have made no deposits, etc. I think at the very least, people should come to this thread and post a detailed review, because I can tell you the speakers can best be defined by "Detail" and hopefully, you will share your listening experience by inviting neighbors and other HT and music enthusiasts in your area. But, I don't want to tell anyone what to do, so just a suggestion.

Btw, what I found is these speakers are fantastic for HT and critical music listening...the difference between the PHIL-BMR and other budget speakers that I own (Def tech SM450, CA aero and EMPtek impression series) was HUGE for critical listening. When I put the Phil-BMR in my home theater, well the difference was still apparently, but in modern action movies, my EMPtek are still pretty damn good. So I use the Phil-BMR in a 2.0 critical music set up in my bedroom and almost every night, listen to a few songs as I unwind for bed. In this role, the Phil-BMR is about as good as you can get for the money!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #6562 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhorse73 View Post
Whoever’s getting them in Charlotte, I would love to come for a listen. I’ll be happy to supply beverages. If interested please PM me.

Me as well. I had already sent Dennis an email and he said it would be expensive to ship them short distances. I could either set up a visit if possible or pick them up and then ship them to the next person. Whatever make the most sense.
post #6563 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater1 View Post
Has the Cincinnati person made themselves known? I'm in columbus and would love to hear these!
I sent Dennis an email with my location so I assume I'm the Cincinnati person, I don't mind auditioning them for anyone close to me, just send a PM and we can figure out the details.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #6564 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those who would like to donate to the Washington Metropolitan Philharmonic:
https://www.wmpamusic.org/donate.html
kyzer soze likes this.

post #6565 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear--I'm only suggesting that participants in the BMR road trip consider a small donation. If you do make one, I would appreciate your mentioning Philharmonic Audio in the dedication box. It helps the orchestra to let other businesses know that we have support from, or related to, other businesses. Thanks, Dennis
jjackkrash likes this.
post #6566 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just to be clear--I'm only suggesting that participants in the BMR road trip consider a small donation.
And even then, we had to pull teeth before you tentatively suggested it!

post #6567 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
I was already planning to do this thank you for the link.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen

Last edited by kyzer soze; 06-21-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #6568 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Today I listened to the Philharmonic Audio BMR stand-mount 3-way speakers. This pair of speakers will be sent out tomorrow morning by FedEx for the BMR Road Trip.

When I learned that Dennis Murphy was going to do this, I wanted the chance to listen closely to them. I asked Dennis if I could get them for an afternoon, promising to write something about them. Dennis, who lives about 15 miles away, brought them over and stayed while we listened, comparing it with my own Salk Veracity ST speakers. Dennis has been to my house before, and likes how my family room sounds. He says it has no bass problems. He wanted to directly compare the bass output of the BMR to that of my Salk Veracity ST speakers in my family room.

So, today’s speakers were the Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors , and the Salk Veracity ST floor standing speakers. You can read their specs on the links.

I took some photos, one of the front and one of the rear of the BMR speakers. They are attached to this post.

First, the short version… I think the BMRs are, in a word, excellent. The Veracity STs, and the BMRs are quite similar sounding. I already own the Veracity STs, but I would be very happy to own the BMRs instead. Note that the BMRs sell for about one third the price of the Salks. I can’t imagine how Dennis produces these speakers at such a low cost.

It's important to point out that both speakers were designed by Dennis Murphy. If there is one thing I can say about his designs, it would be consistency. All his speakers, that I’ve heard, share a common sound. He "voices" them to have a neutral overall balance, with very widely dispersed sound, especially in the all-important midrange. All his speakers have a midrange sound that has great detail without sounding too detailed, as some speakers are known to do. (Too much detail has been described as an “etched” sound. It sounds attractive at first, but eventually becomes fatiguing, hard to listen to.) The BMR speaker excels at this sound quality.

Dennis pays great attention to how his speakers present an audio image, the so-called soundstage. This is directly related to how widely they disperse sound, especially in the midrange. All his speakers share this sound quality, this “voicing”. I own or have owned several of Dennis’s designs, a DIY design, the CAOW1, Salk SongTowers from 2007-16, when I replaced them with the Salk Veracity STs. I’ve also heard a number of his other designs over the years, DIY, Salk, or Philharmonic Audio. (It’s nice to live 15 miles away from him.) All his speakers share that common midrange clarity and openness, with the convincingly realistic soundstage. In that regard, the BMRs belong among the best of his work. I can confidently say that the BMR actually presents a more detailed and realistic sounding soundstage than my Veracity ST speakers do. They sound close, but I have to say the BMRs did this just a little better.

The bass and treble in Dennis’s designs extend as low or high as the design cost permits. In the extremes of the audio spectrum, more money buys more performance. But more importantly, the bass and treble blend into the midrange without peaks, dips, gaps, or noisy resonance. Again, the BMR speaker does very well at this. In deep bass, I would say the Veracity ST does out-perform the BMR, but not by much. A transmission line floor standing cabinet with two 6” woofers should produce deeper and better sounding bass than a single 7” woofer in a smaller bass reflex cabinet. And it does. Just to describe this in words makes the difference seem much bigger than it really is. I can’t think of another stand-mount speaker, at any price, that comes close to the BMR’s bass.

As far as the treble sound goes, there was no noticeable difference between these two speakers. They both sounded excellent.

Another well-received speaker, the KEF LS50 (a speaker I like) sells for a price similar to the BMR. I’ve now heard both, in the same room, but at different times. In my opinion the BMR is easily a class or two above the KEF.

It’s fair to point out that I’m a Dennis Murphy fanboy – that I’ve swallowed the Murphy Kool Aid. Guilty as charged . But I honestly wonder why everyone else doesn’t feel the same as I do. I hope those who get to hear these gems on the Road Tour also acquire a taste for the Kool Aid that I like so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMR front.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2418982   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMR rear.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2418984  
Nick V, BuddTX, Soulburner and 5 others like this.

Last edited by R Swerdlow; 06-26-2018 at 08:57 PM.
post #6569 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
On a different note, I've been thinking about ways to make it easier for people to hear my speakers, the BMR in particular. One possibility is a BMR road trip, where a pair gets sent around the country to people who are interested enough to take the time to repack them for the next recipient. I would send shipping labels and arrange for a Fed Ex pickup. Participants would be under no obligation to buy a pair or write a review. They would be B-stock, since a mint pair would probably end up B-Stock or C-Stock by the time I got them back. I would be interested in seeing whether there's a demand for something like this. If you think you might like to participate, you can either post or write me at [email protected] I just want to get a rough idea of whether there's enough interest to build a traveling pair.
I sent you an email, would love to participate if the list hasn't been finalized.
post #6570 of 9286 Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice post R Swerdlow!

On another note, Dennis, are there any differences between this pair and final production speakers that you typically sell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page