Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 224 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4329Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6691 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Took a couple pictures before the gtg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630101347_IMG_6629-01_1530374910295.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	2422280   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180630093333_IMG_6628-01_1530374949847.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	2422282  

amatuerholic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6692 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,373
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoseph View Post
It’s not too often that you see Dennis crack a joke, it makes it that much funnier.

Btw, are you in on the tour Geoff?
No sir; NorCal didn't make the BMR World Cup.

My wife would have KILLED me if those BMRs showed up here!

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #6693 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,373
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5wb View Post
My cat used a speaker on a stand as a launching pad with the obvious, expected results. Timber!
Exact reason I switched to towers the little buggers.
ad5wb likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6694 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad5wb View Post
My cat used a speaker on a stand as a launching pad with the obvious, expected results. Timber! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]
Exact reason I switched to towers the little buggers.
I just don't have pets 😅

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6695 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,875
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Exact reason I switched to towers the little buggers.
I put packing tape on top, face up.

He jumped up there ONCE...and never again.
Knucklehead90 and ad5wb like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #6696 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 12:21 PM
Member
 
dbissett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Fed Ex messed up and didn't get them to Vinton until a weekday. The participant did get a chance to hear them briefly and said he would get back to me and maybe post something next week. He's under no pressure or obligation to do that, of course.
After much gnashing of teeth, good bourbon and fantasies of redesigning our house/family room around the BMRs, I've finally had to admit that the current design of said environment just won't accommodate speakers the size of the BMRs, even for an audition. I will have to order one of your smaller products when the time comes. So please take my name off of the Houston area destinations, and I'll go listen to "Cry'in Time" one more time.
dbissett is offline  
post #6697 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbissett View Post
After much gnashing of teeth, good bourbon and fantasies of redesigning our house/family room around the BMRs, I've finally had to admit that the current design of said environment just won't accommodate speakers the size of the BMRs, even for an audition. I will have to order one of your smaller products when the time comes. So please take my name off of the Houston area destinations, and I'll go listen to "Cry'in Time" one more time.
OK David--I've struck your name. But there are still several participants in your area, so I hope you'll get a chance to hear them.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6698 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Member
 
counterpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mr. Murphy, I sent you a PM a week ago, and sent you an email a week before that, but have not heard back. I probably fell through the cracks with all that is going on. I just wanted to let you know I decided to go with the BMRs (in the standard configuration) but will wait for the new rectangular cabinets. Is there any chance you will one day offer a veneer? I have no problem paying more for a Salk cabinet but the added 2 inches in height bothers me for my situation. If not then I'll happily settle for piano black. It's not a deal breaker, just a preference.

Thank you.

HT: Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-151FD, Yamaha RX-A860, Custom HTPC, Emotiva XPA-5, Sony BDP-S6500, [Rocket RS850 Sig, RSC200, RS250 MKII], MFW-15, HSU VTF-15H MK2
Computer Desk: [Emotiva XDA-2, XPA-200, X-Ref 12, Ultra Sub 10], [Polk Monitor40, PSW505]
Other: Swan Diva 6.1, Sony MDR-1A, Emotiva Big Ego Not Yet Unboxed: Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 monoblock pair
Just Arrived: Oppo UDP-205 Coming Soon: Philharmonic BMR
counterpoint is offline  
post #6699 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Member
 
Copperhorse73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy

What a fun time I just had at the home of @amatuerholic for the Charlotte BMR listening party. 3 guys , 3 distinctively different tastes in music. I’ve had these speakers on my radar for a while so I was glad to be invited to the Charlotte listening session. We certainly ran the whole gamut of music styles. Even Neil’s favorite Justin Bieber song .

Amazing is a good way to describe them. Perfect? Of course not. But for the money I can’t see how you’d do any better. As Neil said in an earlier post the bass is surprisingly good. If you are listening to music, a sub will only get in the way.

While these will never replace my 1099s in my home theater, they would be at the very top of my list for a dedicated music setup. I’m all about bang for the buck and these speakers deliver that in spades.

As soon as I can convince the better half that I need a second rig for music, Dennis will be getting a call.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Copperhorse73 is offline  
post #6700 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Houston Metro
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I put packing tape on top, face up.

He jumped up there ONCE...and never again.
Great idea!
Just have make sure the PETA folks don't come to listen to your system. LOL!
ad5wb is offline  
post #6701 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhorse73 View Post
We certainly ran the whole gamut of music styles. Even Neil’s favorite Justin Bieber song .
To be clear, it was actually a will.i.am song, featuring Justin Bieber. #thatPOWER is a great track for testing your speakers' base prowess

When my wife couldn't guess who the performing artist was, I gave her the hint "annoying Canadian kid"

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6702 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I was the 3rd @amatuerholic . Just arrived back home with the BMR's. Very gracious of the host having a couple of strangers in his house and of course Dennis for arranging all of this. Even though they aren't super efficient, I was really amazed on how these performed on movies (clips of Tron Legacy). For home theater volumes a sub would be welcome, but for people with smaller spaces or don't listen close to reference level, these do the job just fine. I'll post more after I hook them up and put them through their paces.
gajCA likes this.
Spidacat is online now  
post #6703 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpoint View Post
Mr. Murphy, I sent you a PM a week ago, and sent you an email a week before that, but have not heard back. I probably fell through the cracks with all that is going on. I just wanted to let you know I decided to go with the BMRs (in the standard configuration) but will wait for the new rectangular cabinets. Is there any chance you will one day offer a veneer? I have no problem paying more for a Salk cabinet but the added 2 inches in height bothers me for my situation. If not then I'll happily settle for piano black. It's not a deal breaker, just a preference.

Thank you.
Sorry I've had so much trouble getting back to you. I don't get alerts for PM's and those often go unread. I must have put off you email to handle some crisis or other, and then forgot about it. I'll put you down as good for the rectangular black cabinets. I'll have to see how the sales of the black ones go before I can think about doing a veneered version. The minimum order is 100 pieces, so it's a big commitment.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6704 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
charmerci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,314
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
....have pets 😅
Is that you just cussing at the end?
charmerci is offline  
post #6705 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Is that you just cussing at the end? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Haha, no, just one of those laughing smilies.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6706 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
I was the 3rd @amatuerholic . Just arrived back home with the BMR's. Very gracious of the host having a couple of strangers in his house and of course Dennis for arranging all of this. Even though they aren't super efficient, I was really amazed on how these performed on movies (clips of Tron Legacy). For home theater volumes a sub would be welcome, but for people with smaller spaces or don't listen close to reference level, these do the job just fine. I'll post more after I hook them up and put them through their paces.
Be sure and write me at [email protected] so we can arrange for a pickup on Monday--they're off to Atlanta.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6707 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Where in the “greater Los Angeles area” will these speakers be? And when?
callas01 is offline  
post #6708 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Spidacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Be sure and write me at [email protected] so we can arrange for a pickup on Monday--they're off to Atlanta.

You have mail!
Spidacat is online now  
post #6709 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Where in the “greater Los Angeles area” will these speakers be? And when?
San Die
Ground zero is Reseda. I can't really say when--they have stops in Atlanta, Fla, Texas, and Vegas before they head to San Diego and then Reseda.

Last edited by Dennis Murphy; 06-30-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6710 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
San Die
Ground zero is Reseda. I can't really say when--they have stops in Atlanta, Fla, and Texas before they head to San Diego and then Reseda.
Wow.... have a need to send these a little east of the coast to the Inland Empire? I’d volunteer! In good traffic that’s quite a drive either direction.
callas01 is offline  
post #6711 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Soulburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 4,875
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhorse73 View Post
If you are listening to music, a sub will only get in the way.
Well, a well-integrated, quality sub can only add to the experience. A poor one, or a good one poorly integrated/calibrated, will certainly get in the way.

I believe everything people say about these speakers, but you can't optimize room response and eliminate bass modes with any pair of speakers in a room. The only time a pair of speakers will be flat to 30Hz will be when room dimensions are measured in several dozens of feet, which isn't commonly found in most of our homes.

Hope this doesn't come across as raining on anyone's parade. It's just physics the physics of it, which I find fascinating.
homecinemaquest likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Soulburner is online now  
post #6712 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
Wow.... have a need to send these a little east of the coast to the Inland Empire? I’d volunteer! In good traffic that’s quite a drive either direction.
Well, according to Mapquest Riverside is 1.5 hours from Reseda. I take it you're East of Riverside. Still, I can't really afford to ship them such short distances unless there were other people near you who were interested.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6713 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
It was fun to get together with the two gents today. We listened to some tunes, and they humored me by keeping volume levels closer to what I'm accustomed to. Funny how the three of us differed greatly in musical taste, but could still appreciate the quality of the speakers.

As I said before, lows are really impressive, and mids and highs are very good. These speakers will reveal flaws in recordings, so make sure what you're listening to is up to snuff!

Again, I would not hesitate to recommend these speakers for people of any budget. They compared especially well to anything in the $2k and under price bracket.

We used 18" stands and had the tweeters at a perfect height for my living room setup.
gajCA likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6714 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
you can't optimize room response and eliminate bass modes with any pair of speakers in a room.
I agree, and I'm sure you recognized his sentiment as "these produce excellent bass" 🙂 It surprised me as the bass extension has traditionally been the focus instead of the quality/tightness of it.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6715 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I agree, and I'm sure you recognized his sentiment as "these produce excellent bass" 🙂 It surprised me as the bass extension has traditionally been the focus instead of the quality/tightness of it.

so far youre focused on the bass.


what about the raal tweeter? i thought that would get more attention/praise.
NewtoAVBob is offline  
post #6716 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoAVBob View Post
you and the others keep mentioning the bass, but dont say much about the raal tweeter. I would have thought it would get more praise and attention since its the best tweeter available from all ive read. at least for music.
I think the RAAL has been talked about so much in previous posts/reviews, which is why I wanted to highlight the bass.

It's a very revealing speaker. Not tipped-up or fatiguing in any way, but it certainly doesn't hide any flaws in the recordings. For example, some sibilance that I failed to notice in previous listening session became apparent when listening through the BMRs. When going back to my speakers, I could hear it, but it was less obvious.

Good or bad is subjective in this case, but again, definitely something to expect and anticipate so you choose only higher quality samples to demo. That, or you could go the other way and intentionally listen to poorly-recorded music to see how [in]tolerant they are.

Interestingly enough, Copperhorse73 found them to be very smooth (coming from horns), and I found them to be ever the slightest more revealing than the Scansonic ribbon tweeters.
gajCA likes this.

amatuerholic is offline  
post #6717 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoAVBob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I agree, and I'm sure you recognized his sentiment as "these produce excellent bass" 🙂 It surprised me as the bass extension has traditionally been the focus instead of the quality/tightness of it.

so far youre focused on the bass.


what about the raal tweeter? i thought that would get more attention/praise.

Actually I would want people to talk about mids. How good the RAALs are is well known and BMRs are famous for their bass prowess ...
Elessar29 is offline  
post #6718 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, according to Mapquest Riverside is 1.5 hours from Reseda. I take it you're East of Riverside. Still, I can't really afford to ship them such short distances unless there were other people near you who were interested.
Totally understand but as they say in CA, traffic! That 75 miles is typically 2.5 hrs.... I’m in Moreno Valley which is basically still Riverside. Typical drive to LAX is about 2 hrs, Reseda or Malibu is typically a 2.5 hr drive.

Even a group in Orange County would be awesome! That’s about 30-40 mins away with typical traffic.

Where in San Diego are they getting together? Carlsbad, San Marcos isn’t too bad. Chula Vista or Southern SD starts to become a drive once again.
callas01 is offline  
post #6719 of 9285 Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dennis Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
I think the RAAL has been talked about so much in previous posts/reviews, which is why I wanted to highlight the bass.

It's a very revealing speaker. Not tipped-up or fatiguing in any way, but it certainly doesn't hide any flaws in the recordings. For example, some sibilance that I failed to notice in previous listening session became apparent when listening through the BMRs. When going back to my speakers, I could hear it, but it was less obvious.

Good or bad is subjective in this case, but again, definitely something to expect and anticipate so you choose only higher quality samples to demo. That, or you could go the other way and intentionally listen to poorly-recorded music to see how [in]tolerant they are.

Interestingly enough, Copperhorse73 found them to be very smooth (coming from horns), and I found them to be ever the slightest more revealing than the Scansonic ribbon tweeters.
It's difficult to ascribe what you're hearing to inherent differences between tweeters. I tried to find measurements for the Scansonic 2.5's, but came up short. I included measurements for the Road Trip BMR's in one of the shipping boxes. They were taken slightly off axis to the inside to replicate the first arrival sound you would hear from the listening position with the BMR's pointing straight ahead. The response directly on axis (or what you would hear with the speakers toed in and pointing directly at you) isn't quite as smooth due to diffraction effects caused by the centrally positioned in-line drivers. I'm assuming you listened with the speakers pointing straight ahead, which is the recommended position. I haven't heard the Scansonic ribbon, but I've heard great things about it. Still, the basic voicing of the tweeter may have more impact on your listening impressions than differences in the inherent qualities of the tweeter. In any event, I appreciate your comments about the bass quantity and quality. I had nothing to do with that--it's strictly due to the performance capabilities of the Scan Speak 8545-01 woofer and to the modeling Paul Kittinger did for me.
Dennis Murphy is offline  
post #6720 of 9285 Old 07-01-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
amatuerholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
It's difficult to ascribe what you're hearing to inherent differences between tweeters. I tried to find measurements for the Scansonic 2.5's, but came up short. I included measurements for the Road Trip BMR's in one of the shipping boxes. They were taken slightly off axis to the inside to replicate the first arrival sound you would hear from the listening position with the BMR's pointing straight ahead. The response directly on axis (or what you would hear with the speakers toed in and pointing directly at you) isn't quite as smooth due to diffraction effects caused by the centrally positioned in-line drivers. I'm assuming you listened with the speakers pointing straight ahead, which is the recommended position. I haven't heard the Scansonic ribbon, but I've heard great things about it. Still, the basic voicing of the tweeter may have more impact on your listening impressions than differences in the inherent qualities of the tweeter. In any event, I appreciate your comments about the bass quantity and quality. I had nothing to do with that--it's strictly due to the performance capabilities of the Scan Speak 8545-01 woofer and to the modeling Paul Kittinger did for me.
I definitely think voicing is a part of it. The Scansonics are designed to be listened to directly on-axis from what I understand. And again, my comments here are not a criticism, just a reflection of preference. These were frankly amazing speakers, and that's without factoring in the price.

Regarding toe-in, I would lose the center image when they were pointed straight forward from the walls (angle wise). I toed them in about 3-5* (definitely not pointed towards the main listening position), stopping as soon as the center image "snapped" into place.

If this gives you a baseline reference for my preferences, I borrowed some Dynaudio Focus 160s for a weekend and found the tweeters to be fatiguing; I also listened to B&W 802d speakers and felt the same way. The BMRs had the same level of detail, but my ears never felt achy, even after 4 straight hours of listening. Both the Scansonic and BMRs were much more detailed than the Dynaudio Focus 140s I had on hand to compare.
ahblaza likes this.


Last edited by amatuerholic; 07-01-2018 at 06:29 AM.
amatuerholic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off