Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4086Likes

post #8071 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltexan8 View Post
Actually I don’t think you realize that he has already been involved with his own custom cabinets for 1800 a pair. So based on that fact, your assumption is not st all reasonable. Furthermore labor and operation may be more efficient in a larger well organized business with better processes and better divisions of labor. Otherwise business profits would decrease as business grow and that is the opposite of the real world. It’s csled operating leverage in finance. Now maybe Dennis was giving away free labor or discounted labor, but let’s not call that costs and overhead. Let’s keep definitions straight because words and definitions matter.
Well, as far as I know, Salk was just building the cabinets (likely at a friendly discount), with Dennis still hand-building the crossovers, assembling the speakers, along with packing and shipping. And Salk labor is USA small business labor by master craftsmen, not Chinese mass production assembly lines. Lastly, Salk is a profit-driven business, where Dennis was basically doing this as a hobby.

Last edited by Gmash; 03-17-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And if the lowest they can do this speaker is 2000 then maybe it’s best it never happens. Better to release it to DIY
That could be what happens, or Salk might build them only as custom orders like they do with some of Dennis' older designs. I get it, there is a lot of competition at the $2000+ price point, I'd look at the Buchardt S3000 or S4000 unless you're planning for a long wait either way.

Last edited by Gmash; 03-17-2019 at 12:55 AM.
post #8073 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 3379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
You ever meet the marketing department of the big dogs like Klipsch and Harman? I’d think twice before saying that everyone in the speaker business are very nice

But yes these ID folks are quite nice.
I can't speak for the marketing department of Klipsch, but their online customer service is very responsive. When I had a tweeter go bad, I opened a ticket at 4 am, had a response by 9am that morning. If you go back a few weeks on the Klipsch thread, you'll see similar customer service for someone who had an amp go bad on a 115SW. Klipsch, unlike Monoprice, is willing(and probably prefers for convenience and cost reasons) to let a customer install components themselves.

Also had excellent pre sale service from Enrico at Rythmik, haven't had to test their post sale service. Never heard anything but good things about Brian, as well.
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I can't speak for the marketing department of Klipsch, but their online customer service is very responsive. When I had a tweeter go bad, I opened a ticket at 4 am, had a response by 9am that morning. If you go back a few weeks on the Klipsch thread, you'll see similar customer service for someone who had an amp go bad on a 115SW. Klipsch, unlike Monoprice, is willing(and probably prefers for convenience and cost reasons) to let a customer install components themselves.

Also had excellent pre sale service from Enrico at Rythmik, haven't had to test their post sale service. Never heard anything but good things about Brian, as well.

Yeah, Monoprice seems to be a big anti-customer company, A4Less also, but they aren’t a speaker company.

But I was meaning to say that the marketing department of companies rip into the engineers that actually make the stuff to inflate the numbers, get it to perform insanely well under a certain price, etc. They are the real “dog” part of the company. I mean I’d guess it’s safe to say that it costs under $100 for that Klipsch R115SW to manufacture, imagine trying to make a powered sub for that price while also making it perform quite well. That’s pretty much marketing slapping the engineers around so they can spec it however they want so they can sell more

It’s killed or be killed in any industry right?
drh3b likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)

Last edited by Russdawg1; 03-17-2019 at 01:00 AM.
post #8075 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Well, as far as I know, Salk was just building the cabinets (likely at a friendly discount), with Dennis still hand-building the crossovers, assembling the speakers, along with packing and shipping. And Salk labor is USA small business labor by master craftsmen, not Chinese mass production assembly lines. Lastly, Salk is a profit-driven business, where Dennis was basically doing this as a hobby.
This.
For the most part, I think, you are very close.

Again, too much speculation. The next few weeks, I presume, will be very telling. I expect that for however many orders Jim has from Philharmonic, these will all be resolved very soon. Moreover, I expect that it's going to be at least another month before we find out the fate of the BMR and Phil-3 speakers. Perhaps in that time, Dennis will be back on his feet. *fingers crossed

I still hope that he has the energy to join us again, as friend and mentor and audio wizard. And maybe for some of us with the desire, we'll get to start inhaling those solder fumes Dennis chuckled about in his last post here.

Best to all!
R
Lp85253 likes this.

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #8076 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
I think it's safe to assume Salk will never sell a speaker with a prefab cabinet from China, plus he has major labor and overhead costs compared to a one man operation from home, so $2000 seems like the bare minimum for a Salk BMR if it ever happens.
I don't know that it is "safe" to assume this at all. It doesn't take a skilled cabinet maker to install components in a pre-fab box. I can't recall if Dennis was getting the crossovers pre-made or not (I think for the BMR he was, but I'm not searching back through the thread to confirm), so it's pretty much putting together a "kit". Salk's own speakers have multiple months lead time to get them out and there are people who look elsewhere rather than wait that long. Having a product (assuming a higher margin than what Dennis was working on) that he could get into people's hands quickly that give them a significant taste of the signature sound of his higher end products would not be a bad business move. Also, he could actually sell them as kits.

As I've said before, at this point all this is pretty idle speculation until Jim or Dennis announce plans moving forward. Not worth "assuming" much at all at this point.
Lp85253 and Ryanosaur like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8077 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Regarding a possible kit:

I think we would mostly all agree that the heart of getting the best sound out of loudspeaker (once the transducers and cabinet are chosen) is its crossover....reading through various forums and threads, you will see that Dennis not only designed his own crossovers but many for Salk and probably others as well. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that someone can just buy an off the shelf crossover and expect similar performance.

Regarding the BMR:

As we've read, not everyone loved the midrange transducer that Dennis chose...so who is to say that a modified (new and improved?) version might not be int he future...which would then probably require a name change

The real question:

Isn't the future of the BMR or any replacement driven by market interest and then ultimately demand...which is a function of many things including price...so, a few questions that might help...

It would be interesting for all of the posters to say whether they currently own a RAAL based speaker and which one....or if they have heard a RAAL based speaker and which one and what did they think of it....and would they buy a RAAL based speaker and what would they be willing to pay....that is the information that will help Salk, Selah and Ascend make decisions about RAAL based products going forward.

Looking forward to what people have to say...should be interesting and informative.
Ryanosaur likes this.
post #8078 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2013 View Post
Regarding a possible kit:
Isn't the future of the BMR or any replacement driven by market interest and then ultimately demand...which is a function of many things including price...so, a few questions that might help...

It would be interesting for all of the posters to say whether they currently own a RAAL based speaker and which one....or if they have heard a RAAL based speaker and which one and what did they think of it....and would they buy a RAAL based speaker and what would they be willing to pay....that is the information that will help Salk, Selah and Ascend make decisions about RAAL based products going forward.

Looking forward to what people have to say...should be interesting and informative.
I'll play.
I have 3 BMRs, currently LCR, and am in a holding patter on a pair of Phil-3s (which would replace L/R and move those to Surround detail.
I have no complaint on the BMR mid. It seems to do its job very well, especially for such a low cost component! My gosh, would an Accuton Mid, other than driving the cost significantly higher, be better? Or subbing in the BG Neo 8 like the Phil 3... though that is a huge driver and iirc wants to operate as a bipole on an open baffle or an open backed cabinet as Dennis and company put together for the Phil 3.
One of Dennis greatest strengths, perhaps overlooked to his XOs, was driver selection.
Regardless, I want to maintain my Raal tweeter collection. This too has given me nothing to complain about, rather rave. Both the BMR, and my limited experience while auditioning the Phil 3, left me in awe of how effortless the reproduction of sound was compared to other market offerings I had listened too (Kef, Monitor Audio, Martin Logan, B&W).
So yes, for me, right now, a Raal is a dealmaker! So much so, that if I build my own kit for a full range tower, I asked Rick about the possibility of swapping the tweeter to better match my rig .

That said, I've also seen it written that part of Dennis' skill in choosing drivers and designing the XOs was in making a dome tweeter and ribbon tweeter perform on equal footing. So who is to say if the cost of the Raal necessarily needs to be the determining factor when a beryllium dome may in fact be just as good when implemented properly. Or, if the Raal can't perform in a more highly powered system?

For me, the BMR as is, is magnificent.
Without a Raal, would it still be attractive? Perhaps. And maybe less expensive.

Without the namesake driver, would it still be attractive? Yes. and likely more expensive.

A big part of the BMR, to me, is the 7" Scan Speak and the bass response that the speaker has! More than anything else, that driver or something similar in this box and port tuning are what make this so desirable. Without that 34Hz extension, it would be, frankly, just another standmount speaker. As it is, it hangs with, and outperforms many towers!
ahblaza likes this.
post #8079 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
That could be what happens, or Salk might build them only as custom orders like they do with some of Dennis' older designs. I get it, there is a lot of competition at the $2000+ price point, I'd look at the Buchardt S3000 or S4000 unless you're planning for a long wait either way.
Those are very interesting! So, who's going to take the plunge on them?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8080 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
1800 for furniture grade. So his cabinets are already factored in at 1600. The diiiference is how much free or discounted labor was dennnis giving per speaker?

And yes Dennis had gotten the crossovers outsourced. I’m sorry, but after the cabinet and the crossover assembly, a speaker is very very easy to assemble. You wire it up, screw in the drivers and ship it.
I believe Dennis said he had the Affordable Accuracy crossovers built. He assembled the BMR crossovers himself.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8081 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 PM

Hmmm, looks like some tidying got done, here.

Considering @RN2013 's post #8078 earlier, and my reply #8079 , I thought it might be cool to attempt turning this into a learn-able moment. (Especially considering my own interest in the DIY experience.) (and considering the conversations about comparing and contrasting other speakers.)

Are there any speaker design backgrounds on this thread? Obviously @Rick Craig and David @Ascend if they have the time and inclination to chime in.

My question is about driver choices in the design process. Considering that this is one of Dennis' strong traits: the choosing of, and matching of, drivers; it seems natural to understand better the process. We can't all listen to 50 different drivers in the next month, unfortunately. (Mind, I'm not asking about the actual design process of determining Vb or Fb etc, but looking for insight on what drives driver choice in different situations.)

In larger brush-strokes, are there general thoughts or guidance about how different manufacturers drivers compare and contrast against each other, and against sub brands within their own line-ups of drivers. For example: ScanSpeak, Morel, Seas, SB Acoustics, Accuton, Etc; and within their own line-ups: Scan Speak Revelator vs Illuminator, Seas Excel vs Prestige, Etc.

Many of the brands I listed are shared in many of the speakers we have discussed, from Salk and Philharmonic, to Selah, and can be found in other ID brands as well. And since this pertains to our conversation, I wanted to not just jump ship and go to the DIY room and leave anybody here out, assuming the interest is here, that is.

Would love to hear any thoughts if there is some info to share!

Many Thanks!!!

Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
post #8082 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
I don't know that it is "safe" to assume this at all. It doesn't take a skilled cabinet maker to install components in a pre-fab box. I can't recall if Dennis was getting the crossovers pre-made or not (I think for the BMR he was, but I'm not searching back through the thread to confirm), so it's pretty much putting together a "kit". Salk's own speakers have multiple months lead time to get them out and there are people who look elsewhere rather than wait that long. Having a product (assuming a higher margin than what Dennis was working on) that he could get into people's hands quickly that give them a significant taste of the signature sound of his higher end products would not be a bad business move. Also, he could actually sell them as kits.

As I've said before, at this point all this is pretty idle speculation until Jim or Dennis announce plans moving forward. Not worth "assuming" much at all at this point.
Salk wouldn't put their name on a prefab Chinese cabinet, no way. They are master woodworkers who just happen to make speakers. Going that route just isn't in their DNA.
t1337Dude likes this.
post #8083 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 2012
At the time I bought my Phil_BMR, I price the drivers and components of a couple 2000-2500/pr competator speakers that used non priopriatory drivers...abit tricky, since the RAAL in the BMR is OEM, but you can see them for sale on EBAY freq (for $150-300 each). ANyway, when I added up all the cost (and of course, Phil Audio would get some volume discount, but Dennis has told us, not much), I found the PHil-BMR had a 165 dollar woofer, a 20 dollar BMR, a ~150 dollar RAAL tweeter and was in a cabinet that sold for 150 each...that is 500 dollars per speaker, for me to purchase, for a speaker selling for 1250/pr (80% material cost). And that doesn't including crossovers, bracing, etc...

And that Let just say the two other speakers I looked had and an estimate of about 40% materials cost...so a 2.5x mark up. The Phil-BMR was/is/and may be again a great value!
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8084 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
I always thought this was a forum for questions and impressions of Dennis Murphy's products. When did it become a place to fight, speculate and count other peoples money? I was part of the road show and auditioned the BMR's in my house. They sounded better than anything i have ever heard. I havent heard top of the line speakers but i have heard speakers well over $4000 a pair and the BMR's sounded better to me. Just think it is pretty crappy to bad mouth a person's product or SPECULATION of his product in a forum that for 270 pages has done just the opposite. It takes a particularly sad, angry, or morally bankrupt person to do it while the guy is in the hospital!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
I do apologize if I overstepped any boundaries here.
It would seem the paucity of news and answers is weighing heavily. I pulled out of that stream when I saw the direction it was heading. The speculation is pointless, as I said in a couple posts, and as @Brian Boro pointed out. We are here as a celebration of Dennis' work. That he's a great guy only makes it more difficult on us.
I get, and support the questioning of alternative speakers for those that have been hoping for BMRs. Moreover, I get the stir-crazy inspired confusion surrounding these circumstances. But!...

All we can be is patient while time sorts out the rest. Dennis' health and wellness is paramount in that!
In the meantime, lets focus on Dennis, Philharmonic, and learning to be better consumers of fine audio product!

(The compare and contrast discussions only help us to appreciate exactly how special the BMR is! And if anybody has to move in another direction, then it will hel them also choose the next best option for themselves, something I think we can all get behind!)

Cheers!
post #8085 of 9098 Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I like that smoked oak box on the s4000! I wonder how I can do that on my first DIY!

post #8086 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
Hmmm, looks like some tidying got done, here.

Considering @RN2013 's post #8078 earlier, and my reply #8079 , I thought it might be cool to attempt turning this into a learn-able moment. (Especially considering my own interest in the DIY experience.) (and considering the conversations about comparing and contrasting other speakers.)

Are there any speaker design backgrounds on this thread? Obviously @Rick Craig and David @Ascend if they have the time and inclination to chime in.

My question is about driver choices in the design process. Considering that this is one of Dennis' strong traits: the choosing of, and matching of, drivers; it seems natural to understand better the process. We can't all listen to 50 different drivers in the next month, unfortunately. (Mind, I'm not asking about the actual design process of determining Vb or Fb etc, but looking for insight on what drives driver choice in different situations.)

In larger brush-strokes, are there general thoughts or guidance about how different manufacturers drivers compare and contrast against each other, and against sub brands within their own line-ups of drivers. For example: ScanSpeak, Morel, Seas, SB Acoustics, Accuton, Etc; and within their own line-ups: Scan Speak Revelator vs Illuminator, Seas Excel vs Prestige, Etc.

Many of the brands I listed are shared in many of the speakers we have discussed, from Salk and Philharmonic, to Selah, and can be found in other ID brands as well. And since this pertains to our conversation, I wanted to not just jump ship and go to the DIY room and leave anybody here out, assuming the interest is here, that is.

Would love to hear any thoughts if there is some info to share!

Many Thanks!!!

Here is a very interesting interview with Jim Salk that talks about the design process and how some of their speakers make from concept to available for sale. My takeaway is that you better be very good at designing and building DIY loudspeakers that others rave about...and have a bunch of connections and a good business understanding....and have some deep pockets for startup before ever really having a realistic chance in the loudspeaker business.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/audiophile/...alk_sound_ama/
Ryanosaur likes this.
post #8087 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Salk wouldn't put their name on a prefab Chinese cabinet, no way. They are master woodworkers who just happen to make speakers. Going that route just isn't in their DNA.
Well, this is the type of speculation we just don't know unless you can read Jim Salk's mind. They wouldn't have to brand it as a "Salk" speaker to make it still available.
ahblaza likes this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8088 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 07:51 AM

RAAL Speaker Deal

.the BMRs are gone...at least for now....But...

Just saw this posting on Audio Circle....New these are $3600 speakers....being offered for $2500....so you buy them for...lets say $2600 delivered to your house....keep them for 2-3 years until its time to trade again....sell them for $2400 (after all, the current seller has incurred most of the depreciation).......real cost of ownership - $200....it doesn't get much better!!

the photo doesn't show grills...but since Salk does magnetic grills, I'm guessing these Song Towers have grills.

good luck....ps....these are not mine....I own Veracity STs

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=162335.0

post #8089 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Here is a very interesting interview with Jim Salk that talks about the design process and how some of their speakers make from concept to available for sale. My takeaway is that you better be very good at designing and building DIY loudspeakers that others rave about...and have a bunch of connections and a good business understanding....and have some deep pockets for startup before ever really having a realistic chance in the loudspeaker business.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/audiophile/...alk_sound_ama/
Ha! No, I'm not looking to start a speaker business.
*scratches chin
No, a wise friend once advised you don't start a speaker business if you want to make money.
I ask because I'm curious about learning how, we as lay people, can make educated guesses about SQ by better understanding the drivers being used in speakers we may consider buying/building, etc. Maybe I haven't looked in the right place yet and its just that simple.

Cheers!
Lp85253 likes this.

post #8090 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was thinking back to a thread that Dennis and I contributed to I think in 2014/5, which was when Dennis was considering the BMR as a midrange driver. He had received a pair of Cambridge Audio Aeros, as he was interested in two things: 1. How did the BMR do as a tweeter? B. Were the claims by CA and CA owners about the BMR taking 50-100 h to "break in true...

I remember our discussions at the time, and he felt the BMR had trouble with really high LFE and some inconsistencies across the high freq range...but I remember him saying that with the right woofer/tweeter, the BMR could be a really strong midrange driver, since it actually did the upper midrange really well. As aside, I bought a pair of CA aeros about 3/4 years ago from a friend, who had bought them and then his wife "didn't approve" of the purchase and I took them off his hand for 1/2 the really cheap that he paid. I use them for TV only and they are fine, but the high end doesn't distinguish itself! So at the time Dennis was testing them, I owned them as well.
Btw, Dennis measure the BMR/tweeter of one speaker out of the box (well, he said he broke it in for 15 min) and the other after playing about 50 h and found minor/not likely audible measurable differences in reproductions, so that tweeter had no real break in period, beyond maybe the first couple min.

Anyway, that might have been the birth of the BMR speaker, in concept. I know I own one of the first produced, as Dennis had made it, sent it to a third party for testing and listening and then ask me if I wanted to buy it as "b" stock! This one was one of the few made in tall Part expressed glossy black cabinets...he then went to a cabinet with a curved back for awhile, then maybe to the current offering.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8091 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Maybe 2500 wouldn’t surprise you, but it will kill the demand for 95 percent of those that wanted them. If they charge 2500 for the BMR when it was selling for 1350 then they can keep it.

The thing is that the $1,350 price was totally unrealistic. Given the stuff Dennis has gone through, I almost feel guilty having gotten the BMRs at that price. But anyway, because $1,350 is a ridiculous price for those speakers, it's completely unfair to use it as a baseline.

It's like if BMW accidentally sold a handful of cars for $5,000 instead of $50,000. Would it be fair afterwards to judge their cars based on the assumption that $5,000 was a realistic price? "Now they're charging $50,000 for a $5,000 car? They can keep it!"
Mudslide, jima4a and Lp85253 like this.

Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor | Rythmik F12G | Parasound Halo P6 | PS Audio Stellar M700 | Oppo BDP-103
post #8092 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbulkexpanse View Post
The thing is that the $1,350 price was totally unrealistic. Given the stuff Dennis has gone through, I almost feel guilty having gotten the BMRs at that price. But anyway, because $1,350 is a ridiculous price for those speakers, it's completely unfair to use it as a baseline.

It's like if BMW accidentally sold a handful of cars for $5,000 instead of $50,000. Would it be fair afterwards to judge their cars based on the assumption that $5,000 was a realistic price? "Now they're charging $50,000 for a $5,000 car? They can keep it!"

You get a like for this one good sir!
Lp85253 and D33vious like this.

post #8093 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbulkexpanse View Post

i think maybe a small donation to Dennis' favorite charity ( Baltimore philharmonic) would be a great gesture to ease your troubled mind.. just a thought
Mudslide and Ryanosaur like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8094 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i think maybe a small donation to Dennis' favorite charity ( Baltimore philharmonic) would be a great gesture to ease your troubled mind.. just a thought
That's actually a fantastic idea.
Lp85253 likes this.

Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor | Rythmik F12G | Parasound Halo P6 | PS Audio Stellar M700 | Oppo BDP-103
post #8095 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Apparently Russdawg thinks he was paying retail for the drivers and components. Like I said Dennis Murphy wasn’t economically foolish. There was some profit at 1350. Now the story is that Philharmonitor Audio couldn’t financially function. That actually insulting to mr Murphy. No logic suggest the issue was producing the high volume and the work load on one person working from a home based hobby business.
With all due respect to Dennis, I think he did misprice the BMRs (I won't go so far as to call him foolish). No one is insulting Dennis by saying that the BMRs were unrealistically underpriced. Dennis may very well agree.

We can argue all we want about this, and that's fine, but let's be careful not to take our speculations as anything more than that. Please don't judge any of the companies, whether it's Philharmonic or Salk or Selah or Ascend, based on the speculations of people (myself included) who don't have actual knowledge about what the real costs are behind the products.
overg likes this.

post #8096 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Really weird how my post was deleted while every one of the 22 posts criticizing the creator of the company we praise remain untouched. Note these 22 posts are the only posts by this guy who created his account about a week ago. He has only posted the many reasons he speculates why he won’t buy Dennis’s products. Way to go AVS mod. Read this fast I expect it to be taken down too
post #8097 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I own the BMRs and have heard the Sierra Towers with RAAL upgrade.

Suffice to say that if/when I decide to replace the BMRs, I will first look for speakers with an RAAL tweeter. I'd consider others as well, of course, but I'm firmly a fan of the RAAL tweeter and it will be a large factor in my decision making.

post #8098 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really weird how my post was deleted while every one of the 22 posts criticizing the creator of the company we praise remain untouched. Note these 22 posts are the only posts by this guy who created his account about a week ago. He has only posted the many reasons he speculates why he won’t buy Dennis’s products. Way to go AVS mod. Read this fast I expect it to be taken down too

Hahaha I’ll quote it so it stays up. I feel you man. Mine were left up

post #8099 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
There was a lot of cleanup... the way things were going... thought we would never make it past # 8088
Glad we can be on to better things!
Mudslide, ahblaza and BluesDaddy56 like this.

post #8100 of 9098 Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
yes, we get a few...I call it drive by posting (lots of Bose supporters like to make a post about how great Bose is, or about how poor "little Bose" gets so unfairly treated, etc). "Trash a post", argue with no logic, then bail...

I wouldn't dream of going on the Klipsch or Def Tech owner thread and tell those owners this or that product sucks, or is overpriced, etc...now if someone asked "Hey, if you were choosing between" then yes, I will give my opinion good or bad.

I got a AVS warning for having the nerve to call out a untrue claim being made in another owner thread and there is speculation that this same thread got Zorba banned...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page