Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4204Likes

post #8221 of 9189 Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Bluesdaddy, keep us posted on your DIY journey and maybe some of us DIY wannabes will just on board and give our own projects a try!
I'll do my best.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 9189 Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 142
So, has anyone heard from Dennis? I would really like to know his status.
jomartz likes this.
post #8223 of 9189 Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 2058
Other than his post on the Audioholics web site, he has been silent. Perhaps part of his stress is even talking about speakers and having to give up something he loved doing. Here is to hoping he can make and design speakers for FUN in the near future...
jima4a, Lp85253 and jomartz like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8224 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Other than his post on the Audioholics web site, he has been silent. Perhaps part of his stress is even talking about speakers and having to give up something he loved doing. Here is to hoping he can make and design speakers for FUN in the near future...
Hi everyone I was just released from the hospital and am currently in an assisted living facility to ease my transition to normal life. I hope to be back in my house by the end of the month. I have a stash of piano black BMR's that I need to sell, and then I'll suspend operations. I may do some speaker reviews and publish the designs for my current line of speakers, and I'll continue to do design work for Jim Salk. But I'm out of the speaker biz. It's drained my financial and physical resources.
post #8225 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Hi everyone I was just released from the hospital and am currently in an assisted living facility to ease my transition to normal life. I hope to be back in my house by the end of the month. I have a stash of piano black BMR's that I need to sell, and then I'll suspend operations. I may do some speaker reviews and publish the designs for my current line of speakers, and I'll continue to do design work for Jim Salk. But I'm out of the speaker biz. It's drained my financial and physical resources.
Good to hear from you.

I hope you continue to progress into normalcy and enjoyment of things you love.

Chris
abd1, t1337Dude, Lp85253 and 2 others like this.
post #8226 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Glad that everything is looking better for you Dennis. As a relatively recent owner of a pair of BMR's, you have my thanks for all the hard work! Now I just need to find a matching center somehow!
post #8227 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmaster7 View Post
Glad that everything is looking better for you Dennis. As a relatively recent owner of a pair of BMR's, you have my thanks for all the hard work! Now I just need to find a matching center somehow!
Nothing easier--a single BMR with the tweeter rotated.
BuddTX, t1337Dude and Squirrel! like this.
post #8228 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Dennis, great to hear from you and that you are on the mend. Also looking forward to reading your reviews and seeing whatever designs you and Jim come up with. Hope you can relax and enjoy life!

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8229 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Nothing easier--a single BMR with the tweeter rotated.
Haha - at this point I think everyone who owns one will be holding onto them for dear life!
t1337Dude likes this.
post #8230 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
So glad to see you on the mend! And, taking a step back! I said you deserved a break... had hoped umbrella drinks on a sunny, white sand beach was the way, though.
I hope we get a chance to speak again, soon, Dennis.
And please, (I can't speak for anyone else), but as you have inspired me along the DIY path, I would gladly consider buying some gear if you have any drivers from b-stock/damaged speakers... assuming that would help you out! (Please PM me, or... you do have my email and phone after all... just reach out if you wish!)

BTW, Jim and I have my Phil 3s on path to completion. Maybe end of April or so...

Still excited every time I power the rig up, Dennis! (Which is to say, daily.)

My everlasting thanks and appreciation! B-M-Wow!

Best,
R
t1337Dude likes this.

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #8231 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I can't top Ryan's post, Dennis. It's pretty obvious that you have a LOT of people who care for your immensely. You are special to us and always will be. You've given an incredible amount of wisdom and fun to this hobby. Much success, please, in rehabbing your health and strength.

Lots of audio love to you, my friend.

RJ
jima4a, Lp85253, jomartz and 1 others like this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #8232 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
I can't top Ryan's post, Dennis. It's pretty obvious that you have a LOT of people who care for your immensely. You are special to us and always will be. You've given an incredible amount of wisdom and fun to this hobby. Much success, please, in rehabbing your health and strength.

Lots of audio love to you, my friend.

RJ
Ha! No one-up-manship here. Being a Chef is one of the most intimate relationships... I feed and nourish people, in their home! (Maybe folding and putting away their undies is a little more intamate, still.) Regardless, being a musician, too, I know that sound is a very intimate relationship: something that Dennis has given to us IN SPADES!
Rock on, Mudslide! <insert rock-horn emoji here>

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #8233 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
Ha! No one-up-manship here. Being a Chef is one of the most intimate relationships... I feed and nourish people, in their home! (Maybe folding and putting away their undies is a little more intamate, still.) Regardless, being a musician, too, I know that sound is a very intimate relationship: something that Dennis has given to us IN SPADES!
Rock on, Mudslide! <insert rock-horn emoji here>

Hahaa...I guess I wasn't very eloquent in my post. I of course meant that I could not express myself as well you did.

Hmmm...perhaps I should take up cooking.
Ryanosaur likes this.

MARGARITAS,
post #8234 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Dennis...welcome back and hopefully on the road to good health again! Your contribution to the speaker field will not soon be forgotten!
Lp85253 and Ryanosaur like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8235 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Dennis, Wonderful to hear that you are on the mend and will be able to return home soon. I'm sure you miss Ben and he misses you.

Still loving the bi-wired Slims with the wonderful Jim Salk cabinets. I was going to upgrade the speakers in the two channel system to Phil 3s but could not decide on the cabinet finish. Finally decided on either curly or quilted cheery In retrospect, my procrastination turned out to be a blessing because another order would have been additional stress for you. Tony and I have enjoyed listening to your speakers for years. When in San Francisco, I am hooked on the BMRs in Tony's kitchen. Since we got your speakers, neither of us has bothered to turn on our two channel systems. It's just not worth the extra effort.

So glad to hear you are recovering. If I did not live on the wrong coast, I would solder and install those 15 crossovers for you. Tony thought I was competent enough to upgrade my crossovers...then he reached into a drawer and gave me a couple of forceps and said " so you don't destroy anything". Still got those forceps!

Take care, enjoy life and music, as you know, classical music is healing.
Mudslide and Elihawk like this.
post #8236 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Glad to hear you're on the mend Dennis. I haven't been around this forum that long, but in my short time you certainly stand out as one of the most respected members here. I've certainly learned a lot from your posts here. You also created some damn fine speakers..... well I can't say I've heard any myself (although I really hope to and may have a chance to do so in the future), but there are way too many here that speak so highly of them to take their word for granted. When you're all settled back into normal life, just know you've certainly helped make sweet sounds to many a pair of ears, and created some damn fine speakers!

Best of luck to you!
Elihawk and overg like this.
post #8237 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
I hate to be that dark cloud, but what exactly happened to the Dennis Murphy AVS account?

I found it slightly suspicious for Dennis to return on a different account, but nonetheless am very grateful he has indeed returned.

Welcome back Dennis.
Lp85253 and fatbulkexpanse like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #8238 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I hate to be that dark cloud, but what exactly happened to the Dennis Murphy AVS account?

I found it slightly suspicious for Dennis to return on a different account, but nonetheless am very grateful he has indeed returned.

Welcome back Dennis.
i can't believe your getting as cynical as i am..interesting thought, can't say i didn't do a double take concerning the same thought..seems a bit odd

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8239 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1990 Post(s)
Liked: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

Welcome back Dennis.
He's not at home, so probably simply lost or forgot his password.
post #8240 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
i would tend to agree with that line of thinking...btw "welcome back"Dennis.. enjoy life... have some fun..
BufordTJustice and drh3b like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8241 of 9189 Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Just to add to the chorus, welcome back Dennis! I think it is obvious that you are highly regarded and we wish you the best going forward. Glad to hear you are going to keep your hands in the design field to continue to share your genius with this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #8242 of 9189 Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
yea, I cannot name the number of times that I have had to change my password and I have it written down...somewhere!

post #8243 of 9189 Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Glad to hear the positive news and that you're on the mend.

I suggest that we start contributing to a "Dennis fund". It's been years since I've gotten anything from Dennis so I've lost the email address to send any money to his paypal account. (So if anyone could let me know.) It's not much but I'm willing to send $40 to him and if just a number of us do it, it would help him a bit.

Charlie
Mudslide, jima4a, Lp85253 and 2 others like this.
post #8244 of 9189 Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Glad to hear the positive news and that you're on the mend.

I suggest that we start contributing to a "Dennis fund". It's been years since I've gotten anything from Dennis so I've lost the email address to send any money to his paypal account. (So if anyone could let me know.) It's not much but I'm willing to send $40 to him and if just a number of us do it, it would help him a bit.

Charlie

I'm for this, Charlie. 'Tis a really good idea. Let me check and see if my email address for him is still good. He may have a different one now given his circumstances. And knowing Dennis, he probably would suggest making donations to his favorite orchestra. (Not so fast, Mr. Murphy.)
jima4a, charmerci and jomartz like this.

MARGARITAS,
post #8245 of 9189 Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Dennis,

Good to see you post again. PJay and I can help you assemble the remaining speakers - just let one of us know.
ahblaza, gajCA, outofprint and 2 others like this.

Selah Audio

Thinking Inside the Box...
post #8246 of 9189 Old 04-12-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Dennis - I just want to add to the chorus of well wishes for your continued recovery and good health. I know you post on at least a couple of different forums, but I don't know if you "read your own press" beyond that. But just in case you don't, please be aware that you have a great reputation on numerous websites and forums, and that those who have dealt with you, bought from you, or even just heard of you are pretty much unanimous in praising your contributions to audio and in wishing you the best.
optoguy, ahblaza, jima4a and 1 others like this.
post #8247 of 9189 Old 04-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
Dennis - I just want to add to the chorus of well wishes for your continued recovery and good health. I know you post on at least a couple of different forums, but I don't know if you "read your own press" beyond that. But just in case you don't, please be aware that you have a great reputation on numerous websites and forums, and that those who have dealt with you, bought from you, or even just heard of you are pretty much unanimous in praising your contributions to audio and in wishing you the best.
Thanks to everyone for all the friendly words. It's very comforting. I'm very anxious to get back home and get things organized. Fortunately, the BMR's came with the crossovers assembled, installed, and wired for the drivers. They also have custom packaging. As for my different AVS account, I couldn't remember the password, and all of my attempts to change it failed. Something is definitely off with the AVS software. I tried chatting with an on-line technical dude, but that ended up with a request for credit card information. I appreciate the suggestion that people contribute to Philharmonic Audio, but I wouldn't feel right about that. Your kind words are good enough. Cheers, Dennis
post #8248 of 9189 Old 04-13-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 6126
Quote:
Cheers, Dennis
Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative!

The very best to you and yours moving forward.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8249 of 9189 Old 04-13-2019, 01:52 PM

I've received several nice personal messages, some with requests for BMR's. I can't reply until I've accumulated 15 posts, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could write me at my email address.
post #8250 of 9189 Old 04-13-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I've received several nice personal messages, some with requests for BMR's. I can't reply until I've accumulated 15 posts, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could write me at my email address.
I need 2 more posts before I can post my email address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers