Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 289 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4086Likes

post #8641 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yes Dennis, the rave reviews from Curt and Jim on the vifa tone on the finalist gave me the curiosity to try the 4 inch version NE 123. I noticed an immediate improvement over the tang band without crossover adjustment. I do have the crossover adjustment in an email from Curt but just have not taken the time to implement it.

After I made this decision to try NE123, Jim and Curt came
Out with the Statement II that sure enough utilize the NE 123 in place of the Tang Bang. The tang bangs are a synthetic cone so I’m sure you understand it’s weaknesses more than I do based on come material. Above my knowledge. But my ears are the final judge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 PM

By the way Dennis, the speakers are very beautiful and that piano black is a mirror. The grill is really nice. How did you do that with the magnets and the grills? Thanks
post #8643 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADIY View Post
By the way Dennis, the speakers are very beautiful and that piano black is a mirror. The grill is really nice. How did you do that with the magnets and the grills? Thanks

I had nothing to do with the cabinets or grills--they were all the work of Bennic's cabinet factory, which is no doubt subject to a 25% tariff now. They just countersunk magnets in the front baffle before applying the finish. The TB mid on the Statement is titanium, not a synthetic compound. I've had very good luck with it. I'm surprised the Vifa is an improvement. I'm not sure what would account for that. I wish I could be there for the comparo. It should be interesting. The midrange should be quite similar, with the extremely wide dispersion of the BMR mid mimicking the open-back mid of the Statement.
ahblaza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8644 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Dennis, since you are a crossover wizard, How much difference would it make to remove that notch filter?
post #8645 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Yes Dennis I fully support the tariffs and am willing to pay 25 percent more until China stops taking advantage of us. They only respect power and consequences and seems we can’t take any short term pain for long term gain. If it was me it would be 100 percent to get it over with sooner.

Anyway the vifa is an improvement Over the tang bangs to my ear and obviously Curt and Jim thought so when they reissued the Statement II with the tang bangs replaced. MYbe you can ask Jim or Curt.
BuddTX, kokishin and Mudslide like this.
post #8646 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Dennis, since you are a crossover wizard, How much difference would it make to remove that notch filter?
The TB's metal breakup mode is very high--around 14 kHz. So it's possible that the trap wouldn't do much since the Vifa's output would already be fairly far down in the higher frequencies. There must be other mods in the new crossover because the Vifa's response in the lower highs, upper midrange isn't nearly as smooth as the TB's.

Last edited by PhilharmonicDennis; 05-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #8647 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 12:55 PM

Dennis what would be typical hearing loss for someone 50? Have to noticed any changes on what you prefer or miss now? I’m sure I can’t hear above 13-14 k anyway. And I’m
Sure hearing changes also take place even if you can still hear a tone. Your experience and background with live music helps.
post #8648 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Yes I only received a recommendation to remove the notch I will double check the email tonight. I do know the full size statements vs Statement II have the crossover changes documented online at speakerdesignworks web site. Maybe you could check it out an analyze it.

There must hav even some reason in their minds on why to swap the mids for the updated design.
post #8649 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Dennis what would be typical hearing loss for someone 50? Have to noticed any changes on what you prefer or miss now? I’m sure I can’t hear above 13-14 k anyway. And I’m
Sure hearing changes also take place even if you can still hear a tone. Your experience and background with live music helps.
Well I'm way older than you and probably have a more severe hearing loss up high, but I can still hear the difference between the RAAL and a typical dome, or a competing ribbon for that matter. I suspect it's a pretty complex issue, and one for which I don't bring much to the table.
ahblaza likes this.
post #8650 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 PM

No worries. more than most, I’m sure.
post #8651 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I'll check with Mark at Meniscus to see if he has any interest in offering a BMR kit.
That'd be fantastic. I think the AA+ would be huge sellers as well.

Quote:
Sure--you're basically paying for his beautiful cabinets, and I don't know whether Mark could offer any suitable cabinets. So that may be a show stopper in any event.
On certain kits at Meniscus, cabinets are not offered (example: the Carmody Carrera kit). As long as it comes with good plans...that'd be all that's needed.
post #8652 of 9098 Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
That'd be fantastic. I think the AA+ would be huge sellers as well.

On certain kits at Meniscus, cabinets are not offered (example: the Carmody Carrera kit). As long as it comes with good plans...that'd be all that's needed.
Have you bought or heard any of the speaker kits at Meniscus? I searched and didn't find any threads, so I created one yesterday. Feel free to post any experiences there.

If Dennis' designs end up featured there, it would be good to mention in that thread - but do wait until we know for sure.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8653 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Have you bought or heard any of the speaker kits at Meniscus? I searched and didn't find any threads, so I created one yesterday. Feel free to post any experiences there.

If Dennis' designs end up featured there, it would be good to mention in that thread - but do wait until we know for sure.
I believe they already have a couple kits of Dennis Murphy designs. Go to their kit page and search "Dennish Murphy" and it will pull them up. I'd considered the ER18MTM ribbon as a center, but wasn't convinced laying it on its side would be advisable or that the Fountek would be the right match for the RAAL in the BMR.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8654 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1891 Post(s)
Liked: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
I believe they already have a couple kits of Dennis Murphy designs. Go to their kit page and search "Dennish Murphy" and it will pull them up. I'd considered the ER18MTM ribbon as a center, but wasn't convinced laying it on its side would be advisable or that the Fountek would be the right match for the RAAL in the BMR.
Someone, especially Dennis, can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Dennis was selling a center with the Fountek ribbon that he said was a good match for the RAAL...in fact, here is the link. Dennis can confirm this (that it would be a good match for the RAAL in the Phil-BMR)!
http://philharmonicaudio.com/PhilMTMCenter.html

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8655 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
I have three of the RAAL 70-10D ribbon tweeters in my 2 Phil 3's and one WMTW Center Channel, and 4 custom designed Philharmonitors, with the Fountek NeoCD3.0, and they play very nicely together. Dennis assured me that they would work well together, just FYI.

FYI, I originally wanted the RAAL tweeters in the Philharmonitors, but because of an "awesome mistake" when the cabinets were built, we ended up with a Satori Woofer, and a Fountek NeoCD3.0 tweeter, and I am very happy with the end results! So happy in fact, if I ever had the chance to sell my 4, custom, Satori-Fountek Philharmonitors, I would not.
post #8656 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Someone, especially Dennis, can correct me if I am wrong, but I think Dennis was selling a center with the Fountek ribbon that he said was a good match for the RAAL...in fact, here is the link. Dennis can confirm this (that it would be a good match for the RAAL in the Phil-BMR)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
I have three of the RAAL 70-10D ribbon tweeters in my 2 Phil 3's and one WMTW Center Channel, and 4 custom designed Philharmonitors, with the Fountek NeoCD3.0, and they play very nicely together. Dennis assured me that they would work well together, just FYI.

FYI, I originally wanted the RAAL tweeters in the Philharmonitors, but because of an "awesome mistake" when the cabinets were built, we ended up with a Satori Woofer, and a Fountek NeoCD3.0 tweeter, and I am very happy with the end results! So happy in fact, if I ever had the chance to sell my 4, custom, Satori-Fountek Philharmonitors, I would not.
Thanks. A happy mistake on my part, since the design I'm ending up with will use the same RAAL tweeter and BMR mid in a three way, WMTW, design that I think, ultimately, will wind up being superior - and at a lower cost than the kit from Meniscus.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8657 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. A happy mistake on my part, since the design I'm ending up with will use the same RAAL tweeter and BMR mid in a three way, WMTW, design that I think, ultimately, will wind up being superior - and at a lower cost than the kit from Meniscus.
Should be an incredible speaker!
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8658 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
The MTM is a good match for the BMR, but a single BMR on its side would work better, and it's about the same price. Of course, you would have to get that single BMR from Jim.
post #8659 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I’ve gotten a couple of random, mis-directed emails from Dennis in this past weekend. Thought I’d check in to see if his email got hacked, but guessing now that it’s just confusion with trying to fill orders/answer emails while he’s sidelined.

With regard to the last post about the center BMR on its side, I recently went that route (with a pair of front BMRs). After a lot of listening and dialing in my HT settings, I believe this option has been undersold. The transparency and sound quality across those three speakers has been an impressive upgrade for me.

I didn’t read back far enough in the thread to hear what happened to Dennis, but I hope you’re doing better. Made a small donation to the gofundme page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gbus likes this.
post #8660 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

I've built several pairs of the Overnight Sensations, but I've been wanting to tackle a more expensive kit so I can justify the time/materials on the cabinet.

I like that Meniscus will assemble the crossover for you for a slight extra charge. Well worth it on one that's more complicated (the Over. Sen. crossover is pretty simple so I do those myself).

Where did you start the thread?
post #8661 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
I’ve gotten a couple of random, mis-directed emails from Dennis in this past weekend. Thought I’d check in to see if his email got hacked, but guessing now that it’s just confusion with trying to fill orders/answer emails while he’s sidelined.

With regard to the last post about the center BMR on its side, I recently went that route (with a pair of front BMRs). After a lot of listening and dialing in my HT settings, I believe this option has been undersold. The transparency and sound quality across those three speakers has been an impressive upgrade for me.

I didn’t read back far enough in the thread to hear what happened to Dennis, but I hope you’re doing better. Made a small donation to the gofundme page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No hacked email. My hands are still kind of shaky from all the medications, and I probably added your email to the right one by mistake. I'm back at my house full time tomorrow. Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to the gofundme drive. I'm not sure I would have authorized it if I had noticed it was in the works, but to be honest the extra money will be a huge help and I am highly appreciative to Kevin (lewdogg) for having started it.
post #8662 of 9098 Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
Quote:

I've built several pairs of the Overnight Sensations, but I've been wanting to tackle a more expensive kit so I can justify the time/materials on the cabinet.

I like that Meniscus will assemble the crossover for you for a slight extra charge. Well worth it on one that's more complicated (the Over. Sen. crossover is pretty simple so I do those myself).

Where did you start the thread?
Here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...cus-audio.html
Ryanosaur likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8663 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The MTM is a good match for the BMR, but a single BMR on its side would work better, and it's about the same price. Of course, you would have to get that single BMR from Jim.
Dennis, again if I remember correctly, you would rotate the tweeter on a BMR used on its side, correct?

post #8664 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Dennis, again if I remember correctly, you would rotate the tweeter on a BMR used on its side, correct?
Right. Otherwise the horizontal dispersion would be a nightmare. With it rotated, the on-axis response is almost identical to the vertical version, and a suckout between the tweet and mid comes and goes as you move off axis. There's no cancellation between the woofer and mid off axis because the wave lengths are too long at the crossover point. So it's a better solution than an MTM, which develops a huge suckout between the woofers around 1700 Hz, and also a suckout between the woofers and tweeter at the crossover point.
post #8665 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Right. Otherwise the horizontal dispersion would be a nightmare. With it rotated, the on-axis response is almost identical to the vertical version, and a suckout between the tweet and mid comes and goes as you move off axis. There's no cancellation between the woofer and mid off axis because the wave lengths are too long at the crossover point. So it's a better solution than an MTM, which develops a huge suckout between the woofers around 1700 Hz, and also a suckout between the woofers and tweeter at the crossover point.
Hi Dennis, are you still selling the BMR 3 way monitors? please say yes!
post #8666 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by memofer View Post
Hi Dennis, are you still selling the BMR 3 way monitors? please say yes!
He is not due to some health issues.

Kind Mr. Salk has offered them but his cabinets are somewhat more costly so price has gone up.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR%20Monitors
post #8667 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Step 1 of my Selah Audio designed center channel speaker to match my BMRs. (Okay, just a small step.) Front baffle received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006_4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	2566810  
Ryanosaur likes this.

post #8668 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Step 1 of my Selah Audio designed center channel speaker to match my BMRs. (Okay, just a small step.) Front baffle received.

Ooh! Excited.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #8669 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
another vote

Just thought that I would chime in and say that I, too, would love to see Dennis' Philharmonic designs made available to the DIY community.

Don't know if that is possible for the BMR any longer, but a kit from Meniscus would be dynamite. Especially with a prefab baffle. I got to enjoy them on the roadshow and they are as advertised and then some.

Ditto the Affordable Accuracy monitors-- PE should ship Dennis' design as its standard offering for a few bucks more, but still a steal at the cost of the BR kit plus the upgrade parts. I'd pay for access to the plans, too!

The Phil 3s, that could be for the master builders .

Dennis, I can't tell you how happy I am to see you back and sharing your knowledge here and the Salk threads over at audiocircle.

For the rest of you mugs, get over to the Gofundme page and help defray some of Dennis' costs. I don't have enough posts to post links, can someone repost please?
BuddTX likes this.
post #8670 of 9098 Old 05-14-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is Elihawk the closest BMR owner to me? Southeast Nebraska.

When my Buchardts get here in June, I would love to compare the two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page