Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 290 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4092Likes

post #8671 of 9103 Old 05-14-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_skoobie View Post
For the rest of you mugs, get over to the Gofundme page and help defray some of Dennis' costs. I don't have enough posts to post links, can someone repost please?

Of course.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/med-expen...-dennis-murphy

It’s too bad they don’t accept PayPal.

Dennis, if there is an email I can PayPal, please do let me know. You’ve been really helpful to me and I’m not even an owner of one of your fine speakers!

Edit: Link fixed!

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)

Last edited by Russdawg1; 05-14-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8672 of 9103 Old 05-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Is Elihawk the closest BMR owner to me? Southeast Nebraska.

When my Buchardts get here in June, I would love to compare the two.
If you wanna make a further drive to the Denver area I will have a pair soon, and there is another member on here in the area as well. Before I had the chance to purchase mine I was working on finding a time to listen to his BMRs. That's quite a bit further for you though.
Soulburner likes this.
post #8673 of 9103 Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

But I believe it has expired. Sadly I never got to put some in as they don’t accept PayPal.
Thanks Russ! It is still there, though I had to use the search ("Dennis Murphy"). Up over $1k now, but I know we can push it higher!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8674 of 9103 Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Russ! It is still there, though I had to use the search ("Dennis Murphy"). Up over $1k now, but I know we can push it higher!

Ah I see. Link fixed. I’m going to see if I can find a way to donate.

post #8675 of 9103 Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Indeed, it's still open for donations...

https://www.gofundme.com/med-expense...-dennis-murphy

Thanks, dr_skoobie for pushing it!
Elihawk and gbus like this.
post #8676 of 9103 Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Is Elihawk the closest BMR owner to me? Southeast Nebraska.

When my Buchardts get here in June, I would love to compare the two.
yes, you are a full 5 hour hike from me...maybe someone in Des Moines has a pair? That would get you a little closer...however, if you can find a way to get them to Iowa City, I would be happy to host them for a comparison listen!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver

Last edited by Elihawk; 05-15-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #8677 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 03:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
yes, you are a full 5 hour hike from me...maybe someone in Des Moines has a pair? That would get you a little closer...however, if you can find a way to get them to Iowa City, I would be happy to host them for a comparison listen!
I know the BMRs have received tons of applause, both private and professional, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I received a pair yesterday and was able to do a lot of listening last night. Like almost all others I found them extraordinary. In preparation for their audition I had also ordered a pair of Focal Aria 206s and Revel M106s for comparison, both of which are top notch speakers and sounded good (all my interest is music first, movies second). Compared to the older KEFs I am coming from, I thought the Focals were a bit weak in the vocal range and bested by the Revels overall, but with these the vocals could be a bit too harsh at times in spite of the brand's neutrality. Both are in boxes this morning. By comparison, the BMRs just sounded brilliant. Others have said this before, but they do nothing wrong. The sound quality, smoothness and authenticity of the music you hear from them are outstanding. Dennis sent me a frequency test chart which showed this pair's flat response, which, when translated into sound, results in a really uncanny balance throughout the instrumental range of whatever recording they're playing. This was noticeable in a way that the other speakers failed to achieve. In track after track (generally jazz and pop stuff over the past 25 years) as the number builds from first sounds to the point where all the different musical parts and vocals have come online, each part blends into the whole until you've got the entire musical ensemble working together no doubt as it was intended to do. All the parts sound good (yes the vocals are outstanding), and that blend continues throughout the track. So nothing hits you as too loud or punchy, or not loud enough. It's really remarkable to hear that perfect of a reproduction of all the mixing that went into the production in the first place. Anyway, that's my take. The tight bass others have talked about is the other thing that's good. I turned my sub's high pass down to 60 Hz per recommendation from Bluesdaddy, turned the gain down pretty low, and the BMRs bass is really solid. (Again, I'm not talking metal rock or Avengers at full blast necessarily.) So, another thank you to Dennis here. To my ears you've really produced some art with these speakers.

David
post #8678 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbissett View Post
I know the BMRs have received tons of applause, both private and professional, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I received a pair yesterday and was able to do a lot of listening last night. Like almost all others I found them extraordinary. In preparation for their audition I had also ordered a pair of Focal Aria 206s and Revel M106s for comparison, both of which are top notch speakers and sounded good (all my interest is music first, movies second). Compared to the older KEFs I am coming from, I thought the Focals were a bit weak in the vocal range and bested by the Revels overall, but with these the vocals could be a bit too harsh at times in spite of the brand's neutrality. Both are in boxes this morning. By comparison, the BMRs just sounded brilliant. Others have said this before, but they do nothing wrong. The sound quality, smoothness and authenticity of the music you hear from them are outstanding. Dennis sent me a frequency test chart which showed this pair's flat response, which, when translated into sound, results in a really uncanny balance throughout the instrumental range of whatever recording they're playing. This was noticeable in a way that the other speakers failed to achieve. In track after track (generally jazz and pop stuff over the past 25 years) as the number builds from first sounds to the point where all the different musical parts and vocals have come online, each part blends into the whole until you've got the entire musical ensemble working together no doubt as it was intended to do. All the parts sound good (yes the vocals are outstanding), and that blend continues throughout the track. So nothing hits you as too loud or punchy, or not loud enough. It's really remarkable to hear that perfect of a reproduction of all the mixing that went into the production in the first place. Anyway, that's my take. The tight bass others have talked about is the other thing that's good. I turned my sub's high pass down to 60 Hz per recommendation from Bluesdaddy, turned the gain down pretty low, and the BMRs bass is really solid. (Again, I'm not talking metal rock or Avengers at full blast necessarily.) So, another thank you to Dennis here. To my ears you've really produced some art with these speakers.

David
Welcome to the club! We will remain a pretty small group of folks who had the pleasure of hearing/owning a Dennis Murphy speaker!
jomartz likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8679 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
The tight bass others have talked about is the other thing that's good. I turned my sub's high pass down to 60 Hz per recommendation from Bluesdaddy, turned the gain down pretty low, and the BMRs bass is really solid. (Again, I'm not talking metal rock or Avengers at full blast necessarily.) So, another thank you to Dennis here. To my ears you've really produced some art with these speakers.

David
For two channel music, I still have my crossover set at 60hz. For multi-channel, whether music or HT, I run at 80hz. It wound up sounding marginally better to me. Everyone room is different and, fortunately, it's not hard to switch back and forth.
Ryanosaur likes this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8680 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:

David
Thanks for sharing. My pair are due in by the end of day today, so I’m hoping to get at least some listening in this evening. Soexciting!
l0nestar8 and Ryanosaur like this.
post #8681 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

David
Welcome to the club! Always love hearing other peoples experiences with the BMR. It turns out: some things are NOT too good to be true! My experience was in comparing the BMRs to tower speakers at twice the cost of my purchase price (Monitor Audio Silver 500, Martin Logan Motion 60XT), and above (KEF R900). (Others, too) Same results. Dennis' speaker design is extraordinary.

Always grateful, every time I power the rig up...

Thank you Dennis!!!

Cheers,
R

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #8682 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
For two channel music, I still have my crossover set at 60hz. For multi-channel, whether music or HT, I run at 80hz. It wound up sounding marginally better to me. Everyone room is different and, fortunately, it's not hard to switch back and forth.
Similar experience here: I tried 60 and 80 with the BMRs and my X-13s... 60 sounds good in 2-channel, but I still found better clarity in the full range sound when crossing at 80. Bass was punchier, highs were more clean and crisp.

Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
post #8683 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
I know the BMRs have received tons of applause, both private and professional, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I received a pair yesterday and was able to do a lot of listening last night. Like almost all others I found them extraordinary.

David
Thanks for the feedback David. I'm always happy to hear the BMR's have met expectations. I should mention that David's installation required that the BMR's be run horizontally with the tweeter rotated 45 degrees. That's not optimal because the horizontal off-axis response won't be as smooth. But the on-axis and near on-axis response didn't suffer, as was evident in the plots I sent David. This just reinforces my opinion that peaks and dips in the off-axis response aren't nearly as audible as many, including Floyd Toole, maintain. It's the early arrival sound that is most important in determining a speaker's character. It does help, however, for the horizontal dispersion to be as broad as possible, since that contributes to the sense of air and ambiance even if some of that reflected sound isn't as smooth as the more on-axis response.
ahblaza, Lp85253, jomartz and 1 others like this.
post #8684 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I should mention that David's installation required that the BMR's be run horizontally with the tweeter rotated 45 degrees. .

Not to be picky but the tweeters were rotated 90 degrees. When I read your post Dennis I chuckled immediately at the thought of some reader struggling with an image of the speakers standing on their corner at a 45 degree tilt.
post #8685 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not to be picky but the tweeters were rotated 90 degrees. When I read your post Dennis I chuckled immediately at the thought of some reader struggling with an image of the speakers standing on their corner at a 45 degree tilt.

I would love to see a speaker positioned like that. Or even designed like that

post #8686 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Oooops. Better rotate those suckers another 45 degrees.
post #8687 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
This just reinforces my opinion that peaks and dips in the off-axis response aren't nearly as audible as many, including Floyd Toole, maintain. It's the early arrival sound that is most important in determining a speaker's character.
I find that interesting, and it reinforces my opinion that we tend to be picky about some things in theory that tend not to be as big of an issue in practice--kind of like floor and ceiling bounce.
ahblaza, Lp85253 and Ryanosaur like this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #8688 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
I find that interesting, and it reinforces my opinion that we tend to be picky about some things in theory that tend not to be as big of an issue in practice--kind of like floor and ceiling bounce.
This is very true: has been proven multiple times. The sexiest charts and graphs don't always sound the best when it comes to room corrections and all of that stuff... but more to the point, how much diffraction distortion does a TV (for example) create? How audible is it? I can see the cheese on my right wall when I look at my right speaker chart... but it sounds fine. Dickason talks about diffraction a lot in terms of driver placement on the baffle. Some of his models clearly show significant distortion in SPL and Polar plots. Not to put words in his book, but he hints that it can be worse in-room...
That said, a discussion with some cats on that other site yielded a similar result in terms of warnings about distortions from misplaced speakers and the like... but after pages of discussion... it also came to, :well maybe it's not even audible."
FWIW One study I recall being cited involved recordings over headphones that involved simulated linear distortion. The end result was that the researchers determined somewhere around 4dB of impact to the signal SPL is where the distortion begins to be audible, with (iirc) 6dB being identified as distorted almost all of the time.
Vergiliusm likes this.

post #8689 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
This is very true: has been proven multiple times. The sexiest charts and graphs don't always sound the best when it comes to room corrections and all of that stuff... but more to the point, how much diffraction distortion does a TV (for example) create? How audible is it? I can see the cheese on my right wall when I look at my right speaker chart... but it sounds fine. Dickason talks about diffraction a lot in terms of driver placement on the baffle. Some of his models clearly show significant distortion in SPL and Polar plots. Not to put words in his book, but he hints that it can be worse in-room...
That said, a discussion with some cats on that other site yielded a similar result in terms of warnings about distortions from misplaced speakers and the like... but after pages of discussion... it also came to, :well maybe it's not even audible."
FWIW One study I recall being cited involved recordings over headphones that involved simulated linear distortion. The end result was that the researchers determined somewhere around 4dB of impact to the signal SPL is where the distortion begins to be audible, with (iirc) 6dB being identified as distorted almost all of the time.
As I recall, Dennis has stated more than once that his speakers measure better with grills off, but that it probably doesn't make an audible difference. I've listened long term with the grills on and off the BMRs - depending on my mood, really. And I confess I don't know that I've ever "heard" a difference. They've been off a while, but mostly because I think drivers are "sexy" looking. But sometimes I think grills are, and when I do I'll put the grills back on.
Soulburner, ahblaza and Ryanosaur like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8690 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
As I recall, Dennis has stated more than once that his speakers measure better with grills off, but that it probably doesn't make an audible difference. I've listened long term with the grills on and off the BMRs - depending on my mood, really. And I confess I don't know that I've ever "heard" a difference. They've been off a while, but mostly because I think drivers are "sexy" looking. But sometimes I think grills are, and when I do I'll put the grills back on.
Agreed! Also a different thread at that other site. And again...it can be measured... but can it be heard?

Spot on!

By the way, @BluesDaddy56 , we might very well be the few people that can get excited about a piece of wood or MDF with holes cut in it! Excited to see where that leads! Cheers!!!
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

post #8691 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
Agreed! Also a different thread at that other site. And again...it can be measured... but can it be heard?

Spot on!

By the way, @BluesDaddy56 , we might very well be the few people that can get excited about a piece of wood or MDF with holes cut in it! Excited to see where that leads! Cheers!!!
While I've not done many DIY, my first speaker "system" was a DIY when I was 18 or so to match up a speaker my dad had from an old mono system with 15" woofer, 8" mid, and horn tweeter. I used a generic three way crossover from RatShack (this was '74 or so). Audio memory being what it is, I can't really say how it "sounded", but I'm sure it was **** compared to anything that came after, but I sure as hell was proud of it. Built the Ed Frias AR-DIYs in the early 2000s and a Adire Tempest sealed sub at the same time. Still have the last two (am probably going to update the AR-DIYs' crossover to the Dennis Murphy design - and MIGHT put a Rythmik 15" in the Adire cabinet). So, yeah, I'm no a huge DIYer (working for the state and having kids kept my monetary options low) but there's something about a baffle that's sexy to me!
Ryanosaur likes this.

post #8692 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Adire is back, as you may know. The Shiva was my first DIY sub, and then later the Tempest(which my buddy still has). I haven't seen the parameters on the Rythmiks, but for a budget driver its hard to beat the Ultimax, imo.
ahblaza likes this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #8693 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Phil 3 watch 2019:
Too eager to keep it to myself, especially with everybody talking about their BMRs coming!
They shipped today with the revised XOs installed!
8 glorious days, now.
Lp85253 and BluesDaddy56 like this.

post #8694 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 PM

Wanted to add my first impressions. My BMRs arrived in the morning, but sadly I had to wait until the evening to open them. First of all, these are packed well. Double boxed and plenty of padding inside the box. Once unboxed, my first thoughts were "holy cow these things are huge. Put my the BMRs next to my KEF q150s and they are almost double the size!! Wow...they are beasts! Not having their permanent office spot setup yet, I put them in the basement family room space on stands and was worried they were too much for the sanus stnad. They definitely could tip over much more easily.

Now to the sound...... At first I didn't know what to think. They certainly are a lot different than my KEFs (both q100s and q150s). I had to take some time for my ears to start adjusting to them. If I had one word to describe them it would be enveloping. I closed my eyes while listening and it was like a sweet fog slowly settled in around my and transported me to the room where the band was playing. This is what people mean when they say the speakers just disappear! Now I know. And all of the hype I've heard about the raal tweeter is certainly warranted to my ears. So many more subtle sounds in songs that I had never heard (at least in such detail) before. WOW! Everything was so much more three dimensional than anything I have heard before too. I could have sworn that some instruments or even voices were coming from the surround speakers. But they weren't. I was listening in pure direct, so it was only the two BMRs putting out all this detail.

I decided to throw in Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd, and the beginning of "Time" when all the clocks start ringing, with my eyes closed I still followed with my eyes where the sounds were coming from and there were so many more positions than I'd heard on other speakers. My eyes darted around as I heard each sound. It was mesmerizing. Throughout the album I continued to trace the sounds as they moved all around in front of me, and sometimes even behind or beside me.

Something else I noted, was with the detail of the raal, there were parts of songs where I knew the treble kicks in louder, and my ears would somewhat cringe in anticipation of something harsh, but it never was. Obviously my ears were trained for harshness from my old speakers. It took awhile for this to start subsiding. I probably still will for awhile, but its something I definitely noticed. Kind of a "why am I cringing when these aren't harsh at all?"

I haven't even talked about the mids or bass yet. They just all blend in so smoothly throughout. Although it isn't quite the strong bass I'm used to running with a sub, there certainly is plnty going on. Its not overpowering or muddy whatsoever. Its just there. You almost forget about it. The mids are also just so smooth. I'm running out of words and just wanna go back and do some more listening, so that's what I'm gonna go do. Let's just say that it was hard for me to get myself to spend that kind of money, but I am so glad I did. These are certainly special speakers, and I plan on keeping them a long long time.

Thanks Dennis!

-Mark
post #8695 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Wanted to add my first impressions.

Thanks Dennis!

-Mark
And thanks to you Mark. It's really gratifying to know that buyers are picking up on the BMR's traits. As you note, they don't sound like most conventional speakers, and I wasn't sure everyone would appreciate the arguably less forward sound of the BMR's. But so far so good. Thanks again for your post.
D33vious and Ryanosaur like this.
post #8696 of 9103 Old 05-16-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:
Now to the sound......
Interesting that you are liking them more than the KEF sound.

What do you have driving them?

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8697 of 9103 Old 05-17-2019, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback David. I'm always happy to hear the BMR's have met expectations. I should mention that David's installation required that the BMR's be run horizontally with the tweeter rotated 45 degrees. That's not optimal because the horizontal off-axis response won't be as smooth. But the on-axis and near on-axis response didn't suffer, as was evident in the plots I sent David. This just reinforces my opinion that peaks and dips in the off-axis response aren't nearly as audible as many, including Floyd Toole, maintain. It's the early arrival sound that is most important in determining a speaker's character. It does help, however, for the horizontal dispersion to be as broad as possible, since that contributes to the sense of air and ambiance even if some of that reflected sound isn't as smooth as the more on-axis response.
Dennis,
In Dr. Toole's book, in section 7.4.2, The Effect of Loudspeaker Directivity-Toole (1985), three speakers were evaluated by ten listeners. The speakers were evaluated for both sound quality and spaciousness. In the evaluation were the Rega 3, KEF 105.2 and Quad ESL 63. The results from the evaluation indicated what you stated above. All three speakers had reasonably flat on-axis responses, The Quad had a better off-axis response than either the Rega and KEF but had narrower dispersion. The Rega and the KEF were both preferred over the Quad, especially in mono with only one speaker. The Rega with the most compromised off-axis response (8" woofer and 1" dome) was the most preferred. What is interesting is how much the perceived differences were lessened in stereo than mono.

Cheers,

OldMovieNut
post #8698 of 9103 Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Something else I noted, was with the detail of the raal, there were parts of songs where I knew the treble kicks in louder, and my ears would somewhat cringe in anticipation of something harsh, but it never was. Obviously my ears were trained for harshness from my old speakers. It took awhile for this to start subsiding. I probably still will for awhile, but its something I definitely noticed. Kind of a "why am I cringing when these aren't harsh at all?"
I can totally relate to this in particular. This is a really great anecdote and is something I priortize when auditioning speakers.

The whole "wait for it...here comes the part with cringey/unbearable treble/sibilance..." and then relaxing when you know it should show up, but never does. You can hear all the detail, but it's never "piercing" or "whistles" (for lack of a better term.) That's a sign of a well-balanced design, imo.
Lp85253 and D33vious like this.

Speakers: M040 | M16 | LS50 | Reva-2| BM5 mk3 | X18 | X14
Sub: VTF-2 mk5
Amps: HK 3490 | TSR-7810

Last edited by l0nestar8; 05-17-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #8699 of 9103 Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMovieNut View Post
Dennis,
In Dr. Toole's book, in section 7.4.2, The Effect of Loudspeaker Directivity-Toole (1985), three speakers were evaluated by ten listeners. The speakers were evaluated for both sound quality and spaciousness. In the evaluation were the Rega 3, KEF 105.2 and Quad ESL 63. The results from the evaluation indicated what you stated above. All three speakers had reasonably flat on-axis responses, The Quad had a better off-axis response than either the Rega and KEF but had narrower dispersion. The Rega and the KEF were both preferred over the Quad, especially in mono with only one speaker. The Rega with the most compromised off-axis response (8" woofer and 1" dome) was the most preferred. What is interesting is how much the perceived differences were lessened in stereo than mono.

Cheers,

OldMovieNut
That is interesting. However, there are exceptions to the mono vs. stereo comparisons, and the BMR is one of them. You need to have a stereo pair running to appreciate their sound staging. If you just listen to one in mono, it can sound a little unfocused due to the broad radiation pattern.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #8700 of 9103 Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is interesting. However, there are exceptions to the mono vs. stereo comparisons, and the BMR is one of them. You need to have a stereo pair running to appreciate their sound staging. If you just listen to one in mono, it can sound a little unfocused due to the broad radiation pattern.
I'd suggest also that, while listening in mono may better reveal an individual speaker's characteristics, no one actually listens to just one speaker so it is NOT a good way to gauge whether you prefer one pair of speakers to another.
Steelhead57 and overg like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page