Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 291 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4091Likes

post #8701 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
And thanks to you Mark. It's really gratifying to know that buyers are picking up on the BMR's traits. As you note, they don't sound like most conventional speakers, and I wasn't sure everyone would appreciate the arguably less forward sound of the BMR's. But so far so good. Thanks again for your post.
In my limited experience in the world of speakers detail has always come along with that forwardness. While I don’t know how true that holds generally, the BMRs are unique to me in that they deliver so much detail without that forwardness. I do need to listen to some more aggressive music at some point to see how much I lime that on the BMRs. Like drbisset, I can see where someone who prefers a forward sound might not like these, although at the same time another part of me screams, why WOULDN’T they?!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Interesting that you are liking them more than the KEF sound.

What do you have driving them?
Nothing special. Just a Yamaha TSR-7810. It was a stretch just to get these speakers, so I don’t See myself purchasing a dedicated amp anytime in the near future.

In all fairness to my KEFs, the BMRs cost 3-4 times as much. I have never heard the more comparably priced R series, or even ls50s. Of the two sets I own, the q100s are a little bit too forward, while the q150s are a little too laid back (at least in the mids). The BMRs feel very well balanced overall. Maybe the highs could be considered laid back, but being that they don’t lose any detail, it works very well for my ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
In my limited experience in the world of speakers detail has always come along with that forwardness. While I don’t know how true that holds generally, the BMRs are unique to me in that they deliver so much detail without that forwardness. I do need to listen to some more aggressive music at some point to see how much I lime that on the BMRs. Like drbisset, I can see where someone who prefers a forward sound might not like these, although at the same time another part of me screams, why WOULDN’T they?!”

Nothing special. Just a Yamaha TSR-7810. It was a stretch just to get these speakers, so I don’t See myself purchasing a dedicated amp anytime in the near future.

In all fairness to my KEFs, the BMRs cost 3-4 times as much. I have never heard the more comparably priced R series, or even ls50s. Of the two sets I own, the q100s are a little bit too forward, while the q150s are a little too laid back (at least in the mids). The BMRs feel very well balanced overall. Maybe the highs could be considered laid back, but being that they don’t lose any detail, it works very well for my ears.
i'm finding that with the right speakers even my entry level yamaha avr sounds pretty great.. i'm of that " need a good amp" thought to be a sales pitch that some of us fall for , my guess is that if/ when you get a "great" amp you will hear a difference and it might be worth the upgrade depending on your financial state.. but good speakers make a LOT more difference in all perceivable changes and that amp differences , while noticeable just aren't a priority to those not chasing their money down the rabbit hole...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 05-17-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #8703 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i'm finding that with the right speakers even my entry level yamaha avr sounds pretty great.. i'm of that " need a good amp" thought to be a sales pitch that some of us fall for , my guess is that if/ when you get a "great" amp you will hear a difference and it might be worth the upgrade depending on your financial state.. but good speakers make a LOT more difference in all perceivable changes and that amp differences , while noticeable just aren't a priority to those not chasing their money down the rabbit hole...
I'm in the school that too much emphasis is put on the electronics. There is a point of diminishing returns. Any coloration to a clean audio signal is a distortion that should not be tolerated. That said, you don't need a $5K AVR or AVP or External AMP. If you shop smart, and buy in at the level where the electronics do what they are meant to (provide clean power at low distortion level, deliver a clean signal to the speakers) then all you really need to do is find the right pair of speakers for your Ears and your Room.
Yes, I do use amps. I do not think they contribute to the sound. They do allow me to flirt with reference level dynamic peaks... something I don't think my AVR would allow unassisted, especially with all channels driven.
It is nice knowing that when the Death Star blows up, my rig will not!

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8704 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
I'm in the school that too much emphasis is put on the electronics. There is a point of diminishing returns. Any coloration to a clean audio signal is a distortion that should not be tolerated. That said, you don't need a $5K AVR or AVP or External AMP. If you shop smart, and buy in at the level where the electronics do what they are meant to (provide clean power at low distortion level, deliver a clean signal to the speakers) then all you really need to do is find the right pair of speakers for your Ears and your Room.
Yes, I do use amps. I do not think they contribute to the sound. They do allow me to flirt with reference level dynamic peaks... something I don't think my AVR would allow unassisted, especially with all channels driven.
It is nice knowing that when the Death Star blows up, my rig will not!
well stated and agreed...
PhilharmonicDennis likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #8705 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I agree with what's been posted. Spend the money on amp power where you really need it and where it's cheaper--the subs.
Lp85253 likes this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #8706 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
I agree with what's been posted. Spend the money on amp power where you really need it and where it's cheaper--the subs.

Can definitely attest to this!

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #8707 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
I'd suggest also that, while listening in mono may better reveal an individual speaker's characteristics, no one actually listens to just one speaker so it is NOT a good way to gauge whether you prefer one pair of speakers to another.
In their testing they found that testing in mono revealed the same preferences as testing in stereo, so they just test in mono now to save time. They didn't test with a BMR, but they've tested plenty of speaker designs.

So while stereo is of course better, it doesn't seem to change people's ultimate preference towards or away from most speakers. Remember, the scope was preference testing of various speaker traits, not a complete speaker review.
duc135, Madmax67 and duckymomo like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8708 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think what will be very interesting is to evaluate the speakers after a few months and see how your thoughts evolve from your first impressions.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #8709 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Now to the sound...... At first I didn't know what to think. They certainly are a lot different than my KEFs (both q100s and q150s). I had to take some time for my ears to start adjusting to them. If I had one word to describe them it would be enveloping.

Yes Mark. Enveloping is a great description. Congrats on finally getting up and running. They just get better and better, and I've got lots of old CDs to go through because I'm finding sounds I've never heard before. Last night I pulled out the Dimeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia Friday Night in San Francisco CD from 1980 and WOW. It's not the greatest recording in the world but they make up for it because they were 3 of the greatest guitarists in the world and the BMRs made me feel on the front row. And like you said, not a harsh note in the whole blazing performance.

David
Lp85253, D33vious and Brian Boro like this.
post #8710 of 9101 Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

KEF has always made fine speakers across a very broad range of prices and at least in my memory have always been described as having a forward mid-range sound. My first speakers were KEF floor standers in the 70's, then replaced by RDM2 monitors about 18 years ago. Both had really nice mid-range sound, which always made vocals their strong suit. But at both ends of the frequency spectrum they were noticeably restricted, especially the monitors. Even as very popular as the LS50 is today it's known to need subwoofer support and said by many to be voiced with an emphasis on its beautiful mid-range. Possibly if you go up KEF's price range far enough you'll eventually get to a level where their sound begins to surpass the BMRs, but I have no idea what that level would be. From what others say probably at twice the price. Jumping from their R series to the Reference series would involve price multiples much greater than 2!.
ahblaza likes this.
post #8711 of 9101 Old 05-18-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Dennis,

so what's the story behind the Selah Audio BMR center channel?

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.ph...msg1743242#new
post #8712 of 9101 Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Dennis,

I have no idea. There's no explanation on his site, he's never contacted me, and no client has discussed this with me. I think it's buyer beware time. The BMR driver is very tricky to work with, and the results can be substandard unless you really know the secrets.
post #8713 of 9101 Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
Dennis,

I asked Rick to design a center for me to match my BMRs when it became clear I would not be able to get a third one from Dennis to use as a center. Decided to go with a WTMW design, though it uses two SB Acoustic woofers instead of the Scanspeak.

It's been mentioned a few times on this thread.
charmerci likes this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #8714 of 9101 Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
I asked Rick to design a center for me to match my BMRs when it became clear I would not be able to get a third one from Dennis to use as a center. Decided to go with a WTMW design, though it uses two SB Acoustic woofers instead of the Scanspeak.

It's been mentioned a few times on this thread.
OK--good luck.
ahblaza likes this.
post #8715 of 9101 Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
And we're up and running! Although I received my BMR's a week ago, the electronics to drive them didn't arrive until this week . . . while I was out of state at a conference. But I got home last night at 4:00 a.m., and I was up first thing this morning putting my system together.

Said system is a new Parasound ZPre3 preamp (their half-rack size offering), an Onkyo cd player I originally got a year ago to listen to headphones, a very old Parasound HCA 1200 ii amp (one of the old John Curl THX certified designs with a mighty 205 wpc). And now, a pair of Philharmonic Audio BMR Philharmonitors.

I've been listening to some of my favorite cd's all day. Either the BMR's or the Parasound Amp needed some time to get warmed up. The 32 hz test note included on Dennis' test cd (which is fantastic, btw) caused an alarming rattle out of the right speaker when I first tried it out. But after a few hours of listening, I tried it again and everything was smooth as butter. As advertised, these speakers put on a very real, very usable, 32 hz sound. I don't know if the original rattle was the fault of the speaker (the amp has not been used for 15 years, so it might have been working out some stiffness itself), but wherever the problem was, it fixed itself in short order.

To get my general first-day impression out of the way, these speakers sound beautiful. "Flat" does not sound like either a compliment, nor an adjective for sound. But these speakers *sound* flat, and that's a very huge compliment and a completely appropriate adjective for the sound of these speakers. As many others have mentioned before me, when you first start listening to these, it almost sounds like they're missing a "punch" compared to other speakers. But as you settle in and get used to them, you realize the punch isn't missing . . . it's just exactly where the artist intended it to be, instead of where most speakers tell you it should be. It's actually exciting to focus in on various parts of the spectrum and realize just how smooth and accurate they all sound.

I kicked things off with Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. It's been my favorite album for almost 30 years, and I thought it be a perfect starting point. Not only am I familiar with every tiny nuance, but it's a very dynamic and haunting album, full of silence, some great guitar work from Gilmore, a couple of great sax solo's, and Roger Waters at his most haunting. The latter, in particular, sounded amazing through the BMR's. Waters just wails at various parts of the album, and he had my hair standing on end through Dennis' speakers.

I've been swapping out cd's the rest of the day. So far, the only thing that hasn't sounded good were cd's with lousy production. It's a well-known "fault" of good speakers that crappy-sources sound crappy on them. That's what happens when your speakers are transparent . . . crap going into them will sound like crap going out. But outside of lousy cd production, everything has sounded great. Hell, even the crap sounded like great crap.

So far, I think I'm most impressed with the speaker's namesake, the BMR driver itself. Yes, the Raals are amazing . . . Norah Jones sounds heavenly through them. But the way these BMR's handle complex mid-range passages and vocals is just something else. "Clarity" is a description I usually think of belonging to the highs, not the mids. These mids unbelievably clear. Mids are truly the middle-child of the sound spectrum . . . they don't jump at you like a great high, or pound you like a great low. If BMR's are a middle child, they're the Abraham Lincoln of their driver family. I totally understand why Dennis designed this speaker around them. Wow.

What else can I say? Oh, I can perhaps be the first person to not be blown away by the physical size of these speakers. If anything, they were slightly smaller than I expected. That's neither here nor there, but after reading so many initial impressions saying how huge these things were, I thought I'd at least mention it. But although they're not HUGE, they are heavy, and feel incredibly solid when you pick them up. The piano black finish is gorgeous, and I was very impressed with the quality of the binding posts. I got a pair of Pangea 400 24 inch stands for them, filled with cat litter, and they seem to be a good fit. It would take an act of deliberate malice or negligent drunkeness to dislodge them. I've got a couple of cats, so I was a little worried (they can act both malicious and drunk), but between the weight of the speakers and weight of the stands, I think I'm safe.

So let me now officially add my voice to those who've thanked Dennis for putting out such an amazing speaker. I'm really glad they're going to live on at Salk, and I'm honored to get my hands on one of the last pairs made under the Philharmonic name. Dennis is a great speaker designer and a great guy, and he's created quite a legacy for himself with these speakers.

Last edited by overg; 05-19-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #8716 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 AM

Considering I'm only 5 mos into my Dennis Murphy Fan Boy Syndrome...
...I'm glad to hear your guys first impressions! So similar to mine, its scary cool! At least now I know I'm not loony!

@dbissett and @D33vious : you guys mentioned KEF earlier, and this is an interesting thing for me. My first audio audition was with the Q950 and the R900. Maybe, the R900 was bigger in overall sound than the BMR, but that midrange of KEF was a killer for me. Even the 950s sounded nice, but definitely not on par with the BMRs. We have the honor of experiencing a speaker that even today, at Jim's price, can stand up to towers that cost not just twice what we paid Dennis, but even towers at $4K/pr and maybe higher.
An interesting conversation, over at that other site, about a B&W 602 owner experiencing lameness from her speakers is just another example of how amazing the BMRs can be. I've witnessed so many people buy into B&W after an in-store audition only to get them home and be disappointed. One guy even complained in disbelief about a comment regarding the known disappointments of B&W's 600 series (and even the 700s)... that their R&D budget alone probably outstripped the overall revenue of the top several independent driver manufacturers and that it was not possible for a boutique direct speaker designer to outstrip the likes of B&W.
Ha!

This is why I want to learn the DIY path. That one man could put together something like the BMR Monitor (yes, Dennis, I know it wasn't just you, but still). Its truly a testament to the possibilities of "if" rather than marketing and profit driven mediocrity.

Again, my joy for others now experiencing what I did about 5mos ago. My Gratitude to you, Dennis, for giving us all this gift.

Cheers!
R Swerdlow and overg like this.

Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
post #8717 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
...I'm glad to hear your guys first impressions! So similar to mine, its scary cool!
In another 7 months, if you pass muster with the Eligibility Committee, we can introduce you to the Secret Handshake .
Ryanosaur likes this.
post #8718 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Swerdlow View Post
In another 7 months, if you pass muster with the Eligibility Committee, we can introduce you to the Secret Handshake .
Crap I should have kept up with my dues
Ryanosaur likes this.
post #8719 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
https://imgur.com/RZGux6J

https://imgur.com/a/cc0m06M

Here's a couple of pictures of my BMRs in action. If anything, they're shinier in person. Bad news is they're fingerprint magnets. Good news is they're extremely easy to wipe off.

Also, if anyone ever wants to turn their room into a giant music hall, try out Roger Waters' Amused to Death on some BMRs. It was produced in QSound, which uses slick algorithms to play some pretty amazing spatial tricks with sound. With a properly set up system, it will literally make you look sideways at times, as the sound will be be coming from next to you, instead of from in front of you. It can also create a gigantic and deep sound-stage with the right speakers. BMRs definitely fit the bill.

Last edited by overg; 05-19-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #8720 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 2018
Yes, I am not sure if I got the first BMR or not, Dennis sold it to me as his beta model B stock (Not to rub it in, but I got my BMR for 1100 shipped!)...does that make me president? Or should I say King...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8721 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Yes, I am not sure if I got the first BMR or not, Dennis sold it to me as his beta model B stock (Not to rub it in, but I got my BMR for 1100 shipped!)...does that make me president? Or should I say King...
Founding Member.

Even though I ended up going a different direction due to the timing, if the BMR is ever offered in a kit, I would like to build a pair some day to compare.

post #8722 of 9101 Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I think you were da first. But you'll have to go through a lot of primaries before you're president.
Mudslide, ahblaza, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.
post #8723 of 9101 Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you were da first. But you'll have to go through a lot of primaries before you're president.
Wait till the big Oil pac money starts coming in...
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #8724 of 9101 Old 05-20-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Btw, since I am famous and a historical figure now... , well...my interest in the phil-BMR was born out of discussion Dennis and I had, mostly on line on AVS threads, about the use of the BMR driver as a tweeter. Dennis had tested the tweeter of the CA Aero, in part because of claims that the BMR tweeter took 50 plus hours to break in...and he found the speaker to have some very nice qualities, but fell short of being consistent in the highs. I assume it was these tests that led him to think that the BMR could be a really good midrange driver...
Lp85253 and overg like this.

post #8725 of 9101 Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM

@PhilharmonicDennis
Hi Dennis!
Hope your re-entry has been going well!
With my delivery date coming up soon, I am hoping you can give me some advice, tips, and tricks for setting up the Phil3s, please.

(Also, per my email, hope we can talk soon about my DIY aspirations!)

Thanks!

Best,
R
Lp85253 likes this.

post #8726 of 9101 Old 05-20-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I think what will be very interesting is to evaluate the speakers after a few months and see how your thoughts evolve from your first impressions.
I will try to remember to do this. Feel free to remind me if you think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbissett View Post
KEF has always made fine speakers across a very broad range of prices and at least in my memory have always been described as having a forward mid-range sound. My first speakers were KEF floor standers in the 70's, then replaced by RDM2 monitors about 18 years ago. Both had really nice mid-range sound, which always made vocals their strong suit. But at both ends of the frequency spectrum they were noticeably restricted, especially the monitors. Even as very popular as the LS50 is today it's known to need subwoofer support and said by many to be voiced with an emphasis on its beautiful mid-range. Possibly if you go up KEF's price range far enough you'll eventually get to a level where their sound begins to surpass the BMRs, but I have no idea what that level would be. From what others say probably at twice the price. Jumping from their R series to the Reference series would involve price multiples much greater than 2!.
Make no mistake I very much enjoy the KEFs I have, and I am sure they only get better as you move up lines. I had certainly considered the R series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
And we're up and running! Although I received my BMR's a week ago, the electronics to drive them didn't arrive until this week . . . while I was out of state at a conference. But I got home last night at 4:00 a.m., and I was up first thing this morning putting my system together.

To get my general first-day impression out of the way, these speakers sound beautiful. "Flat" does not sound like either a compliment, nor an adjective for sound. But these speakers *sound* flat, and that's a very huge compliment and a completely appropriate adjective for the sound of these speakers. As many others have mentioned before me, when you first start listening to these, it almost sounds like they're missing a "punch" compared to other speakers. But as you settle in and get used to them, you realize the punch isn't missing . . . it's just exactly where the artist intended it to be, instead of where most speakers tell you it should be. It's actually exciting to focus in on various parts of the spectrum and realize just how smooth and accurate they all sound.

So far, I think I'm most impressed with the speaker's namesake, the BMR driver itself. Yes, the Raals are amazing . . . Norah Jones sounds heavenly through them. But the way these BMR's handle complex mid-range passages and vocals is just something else. "Clarity" is a description I usually think of belonging to the highs, not the mids. These mids unbelievably clear. Mids are truly the middle-child of the sound spectrum . . . they don't jump at you like a great high, or pound you like a great low. If BMR's are a middle child, they're the Abraham Lincoln of their driver family. I totally understand why Dennis designed this speaker around them. Wow.
Congrats on actually being able to use them!! I definitely would agree with the sentiment on them being flat. It does sound a bit weird at first, as I have read in other posts that many other speakers often have a midbass bloom, and these do not. There have been some rock songs I have listened to that do feel a bit lacking in the bass....meaning they don't add that chest thump that you may want. While the BMRs definitely hit the low notes, sometimes their bass can feel a little lacking because that bass is not emphasized. Many times when you hear a speaker has good bass, that bass is emphasized. In the BMRs, you sometimes forget about it because it blends so well that it almost disappears. The ability to separate all the different instruments and make them all so clear is quite remarkable!

Quote:
...I'm glad to hear your guys first impressions! So similar to mine, its scary cool! At least now I know I'm not loony!

@dbissett and @D33vious : you guys mentioned KEF earlier, and this is an interesting thing for me. My first audio audition was with the Q950 and the R900. Maybe, the R900 was bigger in overall sound than the BMR, but that midrange of KEF was a killer for me. Even the 950s sounded nice, but definitely not on par with the BMRs. We have the honor of experiencing a speaker that even today, at Jim's price, can stand up to towers that cost not just twice what we paid Dennis, but even towers at $4K/pr and maybe higher.
An interesting conversation, over at that other site, about a B&W 602 owner experiencing lameness from her speakers is just another example of how amazing the BMRs can be. I've witnessed so many people buy into B&W after an in-store audition only to get them home and be disappointed. One guy even complained in disbelief about a comment regarding the known disappointments of B&W's 600 series (and even the 700s)... that their R&D budget alone probably outstripped the overall revenue of the top several independent driver manufacturers and that it was not possible for a boutique direct speaker designer to outstrip the likes of B&W.
Ha!
As I said above, I still very much like my KEFs, although the midrange in the 2 sets is probably the biggest differentiating factor between them, with one being forward and the other laid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
https://imgur.com/RZGux6J

https://imgur.com/a/cc0m06M

Here's a couple of pictures of my BMRs in action. If anything, they're shinier in person. Bad news is they're fingerprint magnets. Good news is they're extremely easy to wipe off.

Also, if anyone ever wants to turn their room into a giant music hall, try out Roger Waters' Amused to Death on some BMRs. It was produced in QSound, which uses slick algorithms to play some pretty amazing spatial tricks with sound. With a properly set up system, it will literally make you look sideways at times, as the sound will be be coming from next to you, instead of from in front of you. It can also create a gigantic and deep sound-stage with the right speakers. BMRs definitely fit the bill.
I tried some of that album and even if the album itself wasn't actually my cup of tea, those sound tricks are quite amazing. Some of those voices literally sounded like they were coming from my surround speakers!!
overg likes this.
post #8727 of 9101 Old 05-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Updating everyone on the GFM campaign. Thanks to all the thoughtful members of the audio community, we raised $1,360 for Dennis, almost doubling the amount raised a week ago. The money should go to good use towards Dennis' medical expenses.

I want to thank everyone for all their donations and support!

Kevin
post #8728 of 9101 Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg View Post
Updating everyone on the GFM campaign. Thanks to all the thoughtful members of the audio community, we raised $1,360 for Dennis, almost doubling the amount raised a week ago. The money should go to good use towards Dennis' medical expenses.

I want to thank everyone for all their donations and support!

Kevin
And let me add my sincere thanks to everyone who contributed, and to Kevin for taking the initiative to organize this. And I'm sure Sibley Hospital thanks you as well. It's very gratifying to witness this show of support. Cheers, Dennis
gi02sl, brian6751, ahblaza and 4 others like this.
post #8729 of 9101 Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And let me add my sincere thanks to everyone who contributed, and to Kevin for taking the initiative to organize this. And I'm sure Sibley Hospital thanks you as well. It's very gratifying to witness this show of support. Cheers, Dennis
Dennis, many thanks to you for the speakers you were practically giving away, for being willing to go to bat for your customers, for sharing your knowledge in an unselfish fashion, for being a beta tester for new ideas (BMR midrange, for instance) and for being one of the good guys in what can be a shady industry!

I won't try to speak for anyone else, but the amount I donate to the cause is minimal, but I hope it helps and I can afford to make that donation (won't cut into my grand kids college savings account). I probable still owe you about 1000 dollars for what those Phil-BMR are worth!
jima4a and Lp85253 like this.

post #8730 of 9101 Old 05-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
OK--good luck.
Thanks. I've no concerns whatsoever (well, other than with my cabinet finishing abilities ;-)).

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page