Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 302 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4385Likes

post #9031 of 9338 Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Well, I blew that cash on the S400's + stands, so I'm out of the running
Do you have them yet? I'm dying to know how those sound. They look gorgeous, and it's awesome they provide a complete spinorama. From the spin, it looks like they have a little issue right at 2k, but otherwise they appear solid.

_____
Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Yamaha A-S500 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2/Emotiva S8
Living Room HT: Oppo BDP-83 > Denon X3400H > PSB Image 4T/8C/S50/Rythmik L22
Office: Schiit Modi 3 > NAD C740 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT
Bedroom: Onkyo TX-8050 > PSB Image 1B/SubSonic5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9338 Old 07-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Look what came today

So, I am just super-lucky. Dennis found one last pair of mini-phil cabinets (he says these are really, really the last pair, please don't ask) and he offered them to me, since I just missed out on the other last pair. They arrived today and I just got them set up and gave them a quick listen.

My first impression? Well, they sound quite a lot like my Sierra-2s, just with less bass. With a sub these would be just outstanding, particularly for the price. Now, since the ultimate plan is for the Minis to be sats in an HT setup with a sub, the lack of bass won't be an issue. These are just outstandingly neutral and balanced.

I've long been of the belief that Dennis and DaveF are of similar minds, and wow does that ever feel correct right now. I think the S2s are maybe a little bit punchier in the mids, but the overall tonal balance and great imaging make these two birds of a feather. I've not heard the Sierra Lunas, but my guess is that in a blind test they'd be really, really hard to tell apart from the Mini Phils. Of course, the Luna is about double the price, though it it is also quite a bit smaller and, well, I love the look of those bamboo cabinets. Still the cabinets on the Mini Phil are not bad at all, and I do rather like the sloped shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniPhil.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2587928  

_____
Study: Schiit Bifrost Multibit > Yamaha A-S500 > Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2/Emotiva S8
post #9033 of 9338 Old 07-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
So, I am just super-lucky. Dennis found one last pair of mini-phil cabinets (he says these are really, really the last pair, please don't ask) and he offered them to me, since I just missed out on the other last pair. They arrived today and I just got them set up and gave them a quick listen.

My first impression? Well, they sound quite a lot like my Sierra-2s, just with less bass. With a sub these would be just outstanding, particularly for the price. Now, since the ultimate plan is for the Minis to be sats in an HT setup with a sub, the lack of bass won't be an issue. These are just outstandingly neutral and balanced.

I've long been of the belief that Dennis and DaveF are of similar minds, and wow does that ever feel correct right now. I think the S2s are maybe a little bit punchier in the mids, but the overall tonal balance and great imaging make these two birds of a feather. I've not heard the Sierra Lunas, but my guess is that in a blind test they'd be really, really hard to tell apart from the Mini Phils. Of course, the Luna is about double the price, though it it is also quite a bit smaller and, well, I love the look of those bamboo cabinets. Still the cabinets on the Mini Phil are not bad at all, and I do rather like the sloped shape.
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear I won't have to send you return labels. I have compared the mini's with the Sierra 2, and the 2's definitely have more energy in the lower treble, upper midrange, due I would guess, to Dave's version of the 64-10 being able to cross lower. My preference between the two changed based on program material (ignoring the difference in bass reach). I've never heard them with subs, but they should be easy to integrate given the sealed alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9034 of 9338 Old 07-05-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
Do you have them yet? I'm dying to know how those sound. They look gorgeous, and it's awesome they provide a complete spinorama. From the spin, it looks like they have a little issue right at 2k, but otherwise they appear solid.
I have looked at a lot of measurements lately, and most of them have that "issue". In fact it seems hard to find a 2-way that doesn't. I'm not sure how audible it is. I haven't seen any reviewer comment about any issues they are hearing. I also wouldn't want to bias my thinking and go "looking for it" so I'd rather not know what that would sound like. We'll see! It will be another month or so.
BufordTJustice likes this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #9035 of 9338 Old 07-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
I have looked at a lot of measurements lately, and most of them have that "issue". In fact it seems hard to find a 2-way that doesn't. I'm not sure how audible it is. I haven't seen any reviewer comment about any issues they are hearing. I also wouldn't want to bias my thinking and go "looking for it" so I'd rather not know what that would sound like. We'll see! It will be another month or so.

I highly doubt you'll hear an issue. I bet, very strongly, that you'll be extremely happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #9036 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can anyone recommend a center speaker and surrounds that would pair nicely with BMR fronts? I am in the process of moving my BMR's from a dedicated 2.0 system into my family room and am looking to get a 5.1 setup. Will be running them with an Anthem MRX 710. And, to complicate things a bit, we have the TV over the fireplace and the center speaker will need to sit on the mantle, which is only 7 inches deep. Don't know if it is possible to get a decent center speaker that is that small.

I did find the Polk Audio Signature Series S35 Center and it is only 6.1 inches deep so that would work, but don't know if the Polk would be complimentary to the BMR's or if that even matters? The Polk S10's also look like they would make good rear speakers. Again, I am not sure if it matters what I pair with the BMR's for TV and movies but thought I would ask. When listening to music it will just be the BMR's and sub so I am not concerned about that.

Last edited by minatophase3; 07-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #9037 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear I won't have to send you return labels.
Definitely not.

Quote:
I have compared the mini's with the Sierra 2, and the 2's definitely have more energy in the lower treble, upper midrange,
I'm glad it's not just me hearing it that way.

Quote:
due I would guess, to Dave's version of the 64-10 being able to cross lower.
Yep, he's mating it with a much larger woofer, since of course the S2s are closer to full-range. Really, the S2s should be compared with the the "New Phil" not the Mini, but the S2 was the closest thing to the Mini in my experience. It's funny because I only upgraded my long-loved S1 NrTs to S2s a few weeks ago, so I went from zero RAALs to two sets in short order, so of course that was my basis for comparison.

Quote:
My preference between the two changed based on program material (ignoring the difference in bass reach).
That makes perfect sense.

Quote:
I've never heard them with subs, but they should be easy to integrate given the sealed alignment.
Not sure when exactly I'll get to this—at least a year, maybe more—but when I replace my main HT LCR (was hoping to do BMRs for this, but we'll see, might end up with Ascends or Salks, though the Salks might be the BMRs, etc...) the Minis will be the new surrounds. No worries whatsoever about integrating with a sub. Nor am I worried about how they'll integrate with either Ascend or Salk...

_____
post #9038 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I have looked at a lot of measurements lately, and most of them have that "issue". In fact it seems hard to find a 2-way that doesn't.
Yep. Crossovers are hard.

Quote:
I'm not sure how audible it is.
My guess is that it's not a big deal. Looking forward to your impressions.

_____
post #9039 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by minatophase3 View Post
Can anyone recommend a center speaker and surrounds that would pair nicely with BMR fronts? I am in the process of moving my BMR's from a dedicated 2.0 system into my family room and am looking to get a 5.1 setup. Will be running them with an Anthem MRX 710. And, to complicate things a bit, we have the TV over the fireplace and the center speaker will need to sit on the mantle, which is only 7 inches deep. Don't know if it is possible to get a decent center speaker that is that small.

I did find the Polk Audio Signature Series S35 Center and it is only 6.1 inches deep so that would work, but don't know if the Polk would be complimentary to the BMR's or if that even matters? The Polk S10's also look like they would make good rear speakers. Again, I am not sure if it matters what I pair with the BMR's for TV and movies but thought I would ask. When listening to music it will just be the BMR's and sub so I am not concerned about that.

Rick recently made a custom BMR Center over at Selah Audio for BluesDaddy. I’d pop over there and ask for the specs and if it doesn’t fit, I’m sure that he could produce another custom one to fit your needs.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #9040 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Rick recently made a custom BMR Center over at Selah Audio for BluesDaddy. I’d pop over there and ask for the specs and if it doesn’t fit, I’m sure that he could produce another custom one to fit your needs.
Thanks, will check that out. I also received an e-mail notification from someone that posted though I don't see it in the thread, they mentioned Martin Logans. I did a quick search and the Martin Logan 8i looks like it might work very nicely, dimensions are good, it is gloss black and has the ribbon type tweeter.
post #9041 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Thanks, will check that out. I also received an e-mail notification from someone that posted though I don't see it in the thread, they mentioned Martin Logans. I did a quick search and the Martin Logan 8i looks like it might work very nicely, dimensions are good, it is gloss black and has the ribbon type tweeter.

Rick's BMR center is 21" x 13" x 8.5" (W x D x H). It might be a bit too deep for you. But as russdawg1 pointed out, I'm pretty certain that Rick accepts special orders.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9042 of 9338 Old 07-06-2019, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

You might also check with Dave at Ascend. There is a new Luna duo coming soon and I am strongly considering it for my BMRs. Only 6 inches deep so should fit into your space nicely. From what Dave said at tha Ascend forums it packs “more midbass punch and improved dynamics compared to the Luna.” I also asked if he thought it would blend well with the BMRs and he said It would. Dimensions are in the link below:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...3&d=1549446338
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #9043 of 9338 Old 07-07-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
What's a good center channel to pair with the AA monitors? V1 version.
post #9044 of 9338 Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The one Rick did for me is 8.5" H x 21" W x 13" D.
BufordTJustice likes this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #9045 of 9338 Old 07-07-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
You might also check with Dave at Ascend. There is a new Luna duo coming soon and I am strongly considering it for my BMRs. Only 6 inches deep so should fit into your space nicely. From what Dave said at tha Ascend forums it packs “more midbass punch and improved dynamics compared to the Luna.” I also asked if he thought it would blend well with the BMRs and he said It would. Dimensions are in the link below:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...3&d=1549446338
That sounds very interesting, any idea when they are available? I clicked on the link but it said I needed to login so I didn’t see the dims.
post #9046 of 9338 Old 07-07-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That sounds very interesting, any idea when they are available? I clicked on the link but it said I needed to login so I didn’t see the dims.
On June 20th he said he was hoping 4-5 weeks, so hopefully around the beginning of August. I think it was dependent on some overseas shipments and when they get in. Your best bet would be to email Ascend directly. He also said the prices would likely go up after the first batch. I should probably start seriously thinking if I’m gonna jump soon too.

Btw..... Dims are 5.75” x 16.25” x 6” (H x W x D) according to that linked doc.
post #9047 of 9338 Old 07-07-2019, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Always give Rick from Selah Audio a shot. Great guy. Seems to be willing to work with whatever a customer might need and produces great stuff. Just ask him for your specific needs and he will let you know exactly what he can do.
post #9048 of 9338 Old 07-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
On June 20th he said he was hoping 4-5 weeks, so hopefully around the beginning of August. I think it was dependent on some overseas shipments and when they get in. Your best bet would be to email Ascend directly. He also said the prices would likely go up after the first batch. I should probably start seriously thinking if I’m gonna jump soon too.

Btw..... Dims are 5.75” x 16.25” x 6” (H x W x D) according to that linked doc.
Just had my name added to the list for the Luna Duo. Think they are still about 4-6 weeks out before they will ship.
D33vious likes this.
post #9049 of 9338 Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
Always give Rick from Selah Audio a shot. Great guy. Seems to be willing to work with whatever a customer might need and produces great stuff. Just ask him for your specific needs and he will let you know exactly what he can do.
I looked at his website and he has some great looking speakers, though I think they are out of my price range.
post #9050 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
I am surprised that @Zorba922 hasn't joined the discussion, maybe the latest member of the Phil-BMR club...

Okay, suggested center channels to match the Phil-BMR (and this list assumes you have restricts that would demand a horizontal speaker)....the AA Luna center, the Selah Audio Ceramica CC, for cheaper options, I know some have tried the Chane 2.4 (Zorba) and others the Emotiva center, with good results from the AMT ribbon.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #9051 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7236 Post(s)
Liked: 5552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I am surprised that @Zorba922 hasn't joined the discussion, maybe the latest member of the Phil-BMR club...

Okay, suggested center channels to match the Phil-BMR (and this list assumes you have restricts that would demand a horizontal speaker)....the AA Luna center, the Selah Audio Ceramica CC, for cheaper options, I know some have tried the Chane 2.4 (Zorba) and others the Emotiva center, with good results from the AMT ribbon.
Yep, both the Emotiva C1 and Chane A2.4 performed well with the BMR...but I suspect any reasonably neutral and clear center channel would as well.
audiofreak38, ahblaza and Lp85253 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #9052 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yep, both the Emotiva C1 and Chane A2.4 performed well with the BMR...but I suspect any reasonably neutral and clear center channel would as well.
Those both look like good options and much cheaper :-). Thanks!
Zorba922 and Lp85253 like this.
post #9053 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I just placed an order for a Chane 2.4 center, can't wait until it get here! Thanks for the reminder as I had looked at the Chane speakers and was going to buy them last year before I discovered the BMR's.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #9054 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
If the C1 uses the same drivers voicing as the B1, I would make sure you have return privileges. The B1 lacks sufficient baffle step compensation and lacks the midrange clarity of the BMR's.
ahblaza, Elihawk, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.
post #9055 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Someone who was looking for a BMR alternative and can't wait to see what happens with the DIY route needs to buy these - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164061.0. Originally posted at $1500, the seller has dropped down to $1100 and I am SORELY tempted just to try them given Rick's reputation (and my daughter still working on the cabinet for my center). Selah Audio Fedele in gloss black cabs. Scanspeak beryllium tweeter; SB Acoustics Satori Mid; SB Acoustics Rohacell Woofer.
Vergiliusm and Soulburner like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #9056 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A question for Dennis

Pardon my ignorance, but How much of a difference is there between a speaker enclosure made out of MDF vs one made out of plywood vs one made out of true wood (like cedar)? Is it worthy to take an MDF made enclosure and replicate it in wood, say for instance one of your AAMs?

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
post #9057 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
A question for Dennis

Pardon my ignorance, but How much of a difference is there between a speaker enclosure made out of MDF vs one made out of plywood vs one made out of true wood (like cedar)? Is it worthy to take an MDF made enclosure and replicate it in wood, say for instance one of your AAMs?
jomartz and Ryanosaur like this.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #9058 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Right now I am using my KEF q200c and it does well for movies/TV. I don't listen to as much music in 5.1 as I was because my office now has speakers. I know those are discontinued and never were cheap, but I got a pretty good deal on mine used. I'm still thinking about that Ascend Luna Duo, but not sure if I should be spending more....maybe if I sold some of all of these speakers hanging around these days.

Quote:
I just placed an order for a Chane 2.4 center, can't wait until it get here! Thanks for the reminder as I had looked at the Chane speakers and was going to buy them last year before I discovered the BMR's.
Did you change your mind on the Luna Duo?
post #9059 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Did you change your mind on the Luna Duo?
Yes I did. I have no doubt the Luna Duo will be a better speaker, but it also costs 3x as much as the Chane 2.4. And I think the Chane will be more than sufficient for my needs.
post #9060 of 9338 Old 07-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Thank you very much for the video. It more than answered the question about MDF vs Plywood, buy leaves open the one about wood.
Soulburner likes this.

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page