Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 306 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4141Likes

post #9151 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I'm getting a new set of speaker stands for my BMRs. These do not have any padding on the top plate like my current ones do. What do people normally put on the top plate of stands to provide protection to the speaker? Regular furniture pads? Or something more like the pads you have been discussing in the last few posts?

Note....I do not want to use blu tak or anything to physically attach the speakers to the stands as I may move them around from time to time.
I used a simple, inexpensive monitor isolation pad from Amazon between my stands and BMRs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was concerned more about it possibly sliding, so I stuck a few of these type of pad on the stand top to prevent any sliding. The BMR does not slide on the foam pad. (I didn't buy that specific product though, just grabbed something from my local hardware store... same idea, though.)

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Isolateit does make a sorbothane product that is coated and not supposed to interact with wood finish. I was going to try them for my Phil 3 Uppers, when I found out that Jim went ahead and included the regular sorbothane feet. I talked to a guy with Isoalteit and he said this option is less grippy because of the coating. If you want to make certain something is going to stay in place, you have to decide between the possible damage the plasticizer may do to any finished surface you put them on. I was told that the adhesive backing is easily removable with little to no concern of damage from the adhesive (again from Isolateit).

I'll try to get a photo up of the sorbothane "imprint" on the top of my lower cabinet. Its not bad, and as Dennis and Jim pointed out, you'll only ever see it if you separate the cabinets for moving them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3345.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	2602402  

Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
post #9153 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
I used a simple, inexpensive monitor isolation pad from Amazon between my stands and BMRs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was concerned more about it possibly sliding, so I stuck a few of these type of pad on the stand top to prevent any sliding. The BMR does not slide on the foam pad. (I didn't buy that specific product though, just grabbed something from my local hardware store... same idea, though.)
I'm using a similar set of pads to set speakers on a cabinet in on office. Maybe I'll give those a try. I had just thought they might add some instability between the speaker and stand and make it easier to tip them over. But since I already have a set, I will give those a try. Thank you for the idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9154 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
I'm using a similar set of pads to set speakers on a cabinet in on office. Maybe I'll give those a try. I had just thought they might add some instability between the speaker and stand and make it easier to tip them over. But since I already have a set, I will give those a try. Thank you for the idea!
I'm using 36" VTI stands. Unless you drunk tackle them... I think you are safe.
Mudslide likes this.

post #9155 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 251
On a completely separate note from the previous post, I happened to look on craigslist the other day and see a used pair of AAMs. As much as I don't need anymore speakers, I just couldn't help myself. It was a reasonable deal, so now I have another set of speakers. I have been trying out different sets in my office. Originally I thought the BMRs were gonna be it, but they were just too good and are now in my main setup instead.
Brian Boro, jomartz and Ryanosaur like this.
post #9156 of 9159 Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2458 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
I've used these for years with excellent results with loudspeakers weighing 30-100 pounds, really keeps the speakers from moving or dancing on stands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

https://www.quietpcusa.com/Acousti-P...pack-P484.aspx
brian6751, Mudslide and drh3b like this.
post #9157 of 9159 Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
anyone using the aams on their desktop? need recommendation on isolation pads.

cant seem to find any at 9 wide and 11 deep unless i spend like 40 bucks or so

willing to spend 20 bucks at most
Yoga blocks from amazon

ahblaza likes this.
post #9158 of 9159 Old 08-14-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
I'm using the yoga blocks and have posted the links here before as a good way to get some foam without paying the high prices. They do decouple a bit, but I'm willing to try the sorbothane or silicone because I think they would do better.
post #9159 of 9159 Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy

Found a rare pair of BMRs for sale while doing my daily HiFi Shark perusing...for anyone interested.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...-speaker-pair/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stereo: Buchardt S400, Van Alstine Vision SET 400 & Transcendence 10RB, Schiit Bifrost.
Home Theater: Ascend Sierra 2 EX for LRC, Sierra Luna’s for rear, HTM-200s for front and top Atmos. Dual PSA 15S subs. Denon X6400 with Parasound HCA-1500A driving mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers