Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 308 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4419Likes

post #9211 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 4379
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Due to space restrictions I dont have room to add another sub.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
There's no reason to add another sub....the one you have will produce bass much better than 5" woofers in tiny speakers can hope to....for music or anything else. The pro audio, high sensitivity driver in your JTR sub is literally the perfect sub for music. It works for home theater due to the large cab and port tune down below 20 Hz. The benefit of such a low port tune is that it will have *zero* impact on musical sound quality for 40Hz+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9212 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
There's no reason to add another sub....the one you have will produce bass much better than 5" woofers in tiny speakers can hope to....for music or anything else. The pro audio, high sensitivity driver in your JTR sub is literally the perfect sub for music. It works for home theater due to the large cab and port tune down below 20 Hz. The benefit of such a low port tune is that it will have *zero* impact on musical sound quality for 40Hz+.
The way I have my subwoofer setup is in the rear corner of my room behind my couches. I get some additional gain I believe since it's close to the wall.

I always had this thought that a tower that goes down to the 20hz to 30 hz range may have a quicker and tighter bass response with music.

I'm certainly open to try this with my current setup. I have Kef Q100 as my smaller bookshelf speakers and my current towers are Kef reference model ones. They both dont provide enough bottom end and maybe only tried them with my JTR a handful of times. What is you're recommend on setting the crossover for music?

I will have to do this manually for my music setup as I have separates for power and preamp duties for music. My Home theater setup I go through the my denon x4200 Audysey setup for crossover and room correction. I have the sub do everything below 80Hz.

What do you recommend for music? Anything below 40hz to have the sub bass kick in?

I believe the bookshelves bottom out at 49Hz and the towers specs are below.

55Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB at 2m on reference axis
Sensitivity: 89dB at 1m/2.83V (anechoic conditions)
Maximum output: 110dB on programme peaks under 

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #9213 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked: 4379
Quote:
The way I have my subwoofer setup is in the rear corner of my room behind my couches. I get some additional gain I believe since it's close to the wall.

I always had this thought that a tower that goes down to the 20hz to 30 hz range may have a quicker and tighter bass response with music.

I'm certainly open to try this with my current setup. I have Kef Q100 as my smaller bookshelf speakers and my current towers are Kef reference model ones. They both dont provide enough bottom end and maybe only tried them with my JTR a handful of times. What is you're recommend on setting the crossover for music?

I will have to do this manually for my music setup as I have separates for power and preamp duties for music. My Home theater setup I go through the my denon x4200 Audysey setup for crossover and room correction. I have the sub do everything below 80Hz.

What do you recommend for music? Anything below 40hz to have the sub bass kick in?

I believe the bookshelves bottom out at 49Hz and the towers specs are below.

55Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB at 2m on reference axis
Sensitivity: 89dB at 1m/2.83V (anechoic conditions)
Maximum output: 110dB on programme peaks under 

I would try crossing at 80 Hz. Most people cannot localize 80 Hz and below. It will be important to eq the subs response in order to achieve the best sound quality as low bass will typically have a terribly non uniform response blow 2-300 Hz, whether from speakers or subs. I am fortunate to be able to place dual subs in my living room. I can cross them at 100-110 if desired and all sound seems to come from my speakers.

The quicker and tighter response from small woofers is a long held mystical audiophile myth that just won't die. If small were better, drummers would use 5" kick drums. They are big for a reason, and better because of it. Your JTR with its very light weight, high motor strength 18" driver will barely have to move at all to produce the bass that small woofers ill suited for low bass reproduction have to flop around wildly to attempt to create. Small speakers trying to produce 80Hz and below is a huge compromise in sound quality driven by audiophiles who think using subs are bad. We'd all be much better off if more companies designed small speakers optimally i.e. without the disadvantage of trying to produce a lot of bass with tiny woofers and small boxes. Take any speaker that is engineered to try and play down to 30 Hz. Engineer it instead with drivers designed to be crossed at 80 Hz to a quality sub or subs, and it will be a better, more capable speaker. The high excursion needed to try to produce a lot of low bass from a tiny woofer results in lower sensitivity and more moving mass. Let it excel with 80Hz+ frequencies, let the more capable product(subwoofer) handle bass below that point.

However, this is difficult to do because companies would lose huge market share if they built a *great* speaker that plays solid to 80 Hz, because a cheap Polk speaker that claims 60 Hz extension would be favored.
Soulburner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9214 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
This was the posting I was referring to when asking the question.

This is your chance to get a wonderful pair of speakers that are now no longer being produced!

Are these speakers no longer being made to order?

You can still get the BMR's from Jim Salk, although he had to up the price to pay the rent. http://salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors And a full kit version will be available fairly soon.
Lp85253, BluesDaddy56 and overg like this.
post #9215 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
You can still get the BMR's from Jim Salk, although he had to up the price to pay the rent. http://salksound.com/model.php?model=BMR+Monitors And a full kit version will be available fairly soon.
Thank you for the response.

With this new pricing structure they may have priced me out as the prior pricing was stretching the budget for me. As with most things it is what it is.

I was comparing this BMRs to the Ascend Sierra 2 EX.

Lp85253 likes this.

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT

Last edited by s2000; 09-20-2019 at 01:54 AM.
post #9216 of 9365 Old 09-19-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Thank you for the response.

With this new pricing structure they may have priced me out as the prior pricing was stretching the budget for me. As with most things it is what it is.

I was comparing this BRM to the Ascend Sierra 2 EX.

From all I have read about them, both of these speakers are very similar. I believe that I had read that the Sierras may have a little more midbass whereas the BMRs dig a little lower. I do have a pair of BmRs (and love them!) but have never heard the Ascends....although I would certainly love to compare them both.
post #9217 of 9365 Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't suppose you are considering a kit (or at least crossover) for the Philharmonic 3?
BuddTX likes this.
post #9218 of 9365 Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
I don't suppose you are considering a kit (or at least crossover) for the Philharmonic 3?
You got that one right. No Phil 3 kit. It would just be too expensive and complicated to put together. However, if anyone wants the crossover schematic and cabinet plans, I'll send them in return for a small donation to my orchestra. You're on your own, however. It would be a task suitable only for a skilled wood worker who also had a working knowledge of passive electronic circuits.
post #9219 of 9365 Old 09-27-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
And the quote an old Monty python line..."and now for something completely different"....

I heard my first Philharmonic speaker about 10 years ago...my brother in Oregon had purchased a like new used set of Phil Slims Towers and had them set up with a 2.0 system for music and HT. At the time, I owned a SLS audio 5.1 system, so of course, his system impressed me. Dennis you must have sold them to someone in the Northwest, as my brother bought them used, local.

When I joined this forum, I always appreciate the time and effort Dennis put into explaining his designs, giving his thoughts on theory, etc. Also, on a few occassion and at personal expense, Dennis would conduct test to provide data/context to some idea/myths that were out there. I remember participating in a thread about the Cambridge Audio Aeros, which use a BMR driver as a tweeter, and also had this strange myth that the BMR driver took weeks to break in. At his own expense, Dennis bought and tested the hypothesis that the BMR driver took many hours to break in and provided data to suggest that these "differences" were NOT likely to be audible...I assume, and Dennis can jump in here if he wants, this was were Dennis got the idea that the BMR might make a good midrange driver. He provided data to suggested it had limitations as a tweeter. I have always been intrigued by the BMR as it was released as a stand alone driver in the CA Minz speaker...

And now for something completely different- I have always loved ribbon tweeters...from the cheap partial ribbon in my SLS audio speakers, to the real RAAL in my brother's Phil Slims, the ribbon tweeters I have heard just give a clear, detailed and non fatiguing high end that is spectacular (long thread on RAALs not being ALL THAT notwithstanding!)

So, when I heard that there was a new design that had three elements:
1. Made by Dennis Murphy
2. Included a creative use of a BMR driver
3. Included a RAAL tweeter
Well, Dennis didn't have to ask me twice if I wanted to purchase his beta design and well, I have enjoyed them now for about 5 years. I won't even tell you Phil-BMR owners what I paid for them...we all know Dennis is generous, but I don't want to make anyone cry!

PS- Dennis, I am glad your web site is still up. I still enjoy looking and reading about your designs!
BuddTX, Mudslide, Lp85253 and 3 others like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #9220 of 9365 Old 09-27-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
And the quote an old Monty python line..."and now for something completely different"....

I heard my first Philharmonic speaker about 10 years ago...my brother in Oregon had purchased a like new used set of Phil Slims Towers and had them set up with a 2.0 system for music and HT. At the time, I owned a SLS audio 5.1 system, so of course, his system impressed me. Dennis you must have sold them to someone in the Northwest, as my brother bought them used, local.

When I joined this forum, I always appreciate the time and effort Dennis put into explaining his designs, giving his thoughts on theory, etc. Also, on a few occassion and at personal expense, Dennis would conduct test to provide data/context to some idea/myths that were out there. I remember participating in a thread about the Cambridge Audio Aeros, which use a BMR driver as a tweeter, and also had this strange myth that the BMR driver took weeks to break in. At his own expense, Dennis bought and tested the hypothesis that the BMR driver took many hours to break in and provided data to suggest that these "differences" were NOT likely to be audible...I assume, and Dennis can jump in here if he wants, this was were Dennis got the idea that the BMR might make a good midrange driver. He provided data to suggested it had limitations as a tweeter. I have always been intrigued by the BMR as it was released as a stand alone driver in the CA Minz speaker...

And now for something completely different- I have always loved ribbon tweeters...from the cheap partial ribbon in my SLS audio speakers, to the real RAAL in my brother's Phil Slims, the ribbon tweeters I have heard just give a clear, detailed and non fatiguing high end that is spectacular (long thread on RAALs not being ALL THAT notwithstanding!)

1. Made by Dennis Murphy
Well, Dennis didn't have to ask me twice if I wanted to purchase his beta design and well, I have enjoyed them now for about 5 years. I won't even tell you Phil-BMR owners what I paid for them...we all know Dennis is generous, but I don't want to make anyone cry!

PS- Dennis, I am glad your web site is still up. I still enjoy looking and reading about your designs!
i guess you probably already know , but Dennis is working on my emotiva b1's soon.. i am very exited to get to hear amt tweeters with a Phil audio crossover ..
outofprint and BluesDaddy56 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #9221 of 9365 Old 09-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I heard my first Philharmonic speaker about 10 years ago...my brother in Oregon had purchased a like new used set of Phil Slims Towers and had them set up with a 2.0 system for music and HT. At the time, I owned a SLS audio 5.1 system, so of course, his system impressed me. Dennis you must have sold them to someone in the Northwest, as my brother bought them used, local

Thanks for the nice words and I'm glad those Slims found an appreciative home. Since I've only been in business 7 years and didn't introduce the Slims for some time, it was probably more like 5-6 years since you heard them. And that may have been the original ones with the more expensive RAAL 70-10 tweet and the 7" Revelator woofer. I dropped that design when the OEM RAAL 64-10 came out, and I switched to a smaller Seas woofer to get the cost and footprint more slim.
Mudslide and Lp85253 like this.
post #9222 of 9365 Old 09-27-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:

1. Made by Dennis Murphy

Time passes fast when you get to our age, eh Eli?! When we had Dennis out here (in coastal Oregon) in 2010, he was still pretty much known as the Salk design guy. That's when I fell in love with his designs, the RAAL, and all things Dennis. I think Philharmonic Audio was but a twinkle in his eye at that time. That I own Phil2s at all, is because of the genius and generosity of Mr. Murphy.

With regards to that fore mentioned RAAL thread...I think we can agree that we are not stooges, but are lovers, of the fabulous delivery of the RAAL tweeters. At the risk of being judgemental, I suggest that that thread has enlivened ... uh ... the nonsensical part of our hobby.

Lastly, where does your brother live...and why didn't I see these Slims for sale in MY backyard?!

Cheers.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #9223 of 9365 Old 09-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Whew! Just caught up after about two weeks away from this. Life, work, family emergencies... just pile it on!

Very exciting news, Dennis!!! A BMR Kit would be amazing and I hope you can finish pulling it together. Will they offer singles, too, for those that want to do a Center? Yes, I still have and use mine!!!

I just wanna add, with the exception of those few distractions while Dennis was out of commission, I have thoroughly enjoyed participating in this thread! Few are the people that can bring together so many different folk in celebration of of one thing: Good Sound!

Even though my goals of building my first speaker kit and my first Subwoofer had to be put on hold for a moment, I never would have even started thinking I could without the inspiration from Dennis and some of the other people I've gotten to share with Here and at the other site! Thank you!

Here's to hoping I can get the AA+ modification and another new pair in the works soon!

Cheers and thank you, to Dennis and everyone else!!!

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #9224 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
BMR kit

Dennis
Scan Speak and RAAL are based in Europe. I live in the UK so I would be better buying these drivers over here to avoid hefty import charges. I hope there will be an option to do that -?
Where is the BMR driver manufactured?
post #9225 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Wishing you the best Dennis!

I just wanted to say that I'd love a kit option, but would also be interested in purchasing plans and sourcing the parts myself. Not sure if that was an option you were considering.

Thanks for all you do, and hopefully you can find a way to stay in the game as much as makes you happy while keeping healthy!

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #9226 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked: 2104
Quote:
Thanks for the nice words and I'm glad those Slims found an appreciative home. Since I've only been in business 7 years and didn't introduce the Slims for some time, it was probably more like 5-6 years since you heard them. And that may have been the original ones with the more expensive RAAL 70-10 tweet and the 7" Revelator woofer. I dropped that design when the OEM RAAL 64-10 came out, and I switched to a smaller Seas woofer to get the cost and footprint more slim.
Yes, my brother reminded me that the slims were more recent than my 2010 visit to the NW...I was also out there in 2014, so maybe that is when I saw/heard them! And yes, he says his are the 70-10 RAAL...like I said, he bought them local from someone in the NW, second hand but almost brand new!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #9227 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 09:09 AM
M S

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
Wishing you the best Dennis!

I just wanted to say that I'd love a kit option, but would also be interested in purchasing plans and sourcing the parts myself. Not sure if that was an option you were considering.

Thanks for all you do, and hopefully you can find a way to stay in the game as much as makes you happy while keeping healthy!
I doubt that you could source the parts cheaper than a package kit price from a single vendor, unless you have other reasons to source them yourself...

Marvin
post #9228 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M S View Post
I doubt that you could source the parts cheaper than a package kit price from a single vendor, unless you have other reasons to source them yourself...

Marvin
completely agreed, but was thinking that a plans only offering might be less work on Dennis...

Anything to get access to such a great speaker at the least load on Dennis!

Though plans only could create a ton of questions vs. a kit...
Lp85253 likes this.

[email protected]
post #9229 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 10:28 AM
M S

I share your desire to keep Dennis from overload (again)...we want him to continue to enjoy speaker building. However, the kits will remove Dennis from the production load, and hopefully some tech support load as well since the vendor should be able to answer some questions, too. Below is Dennis' reply to an earlier post:
"I won't really be involved in the production or marketing of the kits. The suppliers will set the pricing, and perform all of the fulfillment. I will have to sign off on the price quotes because I want to make sure the kits will be affordable to a fairly wide
clientele. My only role will be to answer questions help troubleshoot any problems."
jcr159 and Lp85253 like this.
post #9230 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I share your desire to keep Dennis from overload (again)...we want him to continue to enjoy speaker building. However, the kits will remove Dennis from the production load, and hopefully some tech support load as well since the vendor should be able to answer some questions, too. Below is Dennis' reply to an earlier post:
"I won't really be involved in the production or marketing of the kits. The suppliers will set the pricing, and perform all of the fulfillment. I will have to sign off on the price quotes because I want to make sure the kits will be affordable to a fairly wide
clientele. My only role will be to answer questions help troubleshoot any problems."
Sounds like I'm in! Do we know more yet? Who will carry the kits? When they might be available? I didn't catch that earlier in this thread...

[email protected]
post #9231 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
Sounds like I'm in! Do we know more yet? Who will carry the kits? When they might be available? I didn't catch that earlier in this thread...
I've been working with Meniscus on the BMR and AA monitor kits, but I can't seem to reach any closure with them. I'll give them another call today. I definitely have lined up a source for Baltic Birch finished cabinets and flat packs.
BuddTX, jcr159, lewdogg and 3 others like this.
post #9232 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 01:42 PM
M S

Quote:
I've been working with Meniscus on the BMR and AA monitor kits, but I can't seem to reach any closure with them. I'll give them another call today. I definitely have lined up a source for Baltic Birch finished cabinets and flat packs.
Wish I had known you were working with Meniscus...I would have asked Mark about it at the Meniscus get together a couple weeks ago! Maybe light a fire under him
post #9233 of 9365 Old 09-30-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Wish I had known you were working with Meniscus...I would have asked Mark about it at the Meniscus get together a couple weeks ago! Maybe light a fire under him
Not to worry. I just got off the phone with Mark--he said he had been preoccupied with some kind of get-together. Anyhow, we've firmed things up, and the kit should be up shortly. The tentative price for the parts only kit with cabinet plans and schematics will be a few pennies short of $900/pr. Mark charges $2.50 per component to wire the crossovers, which would bring that cost to $75,pr. I haven't got a price for flat packs yet, but a pair of Baltic Birch cabinets with bass wood corners, finished and stained would be something like $400/pr (don't hold me to that). So the most complete kit for non-wood workers and non-soldering types would be around $900 + $75 + $400, or a little under $1,400. That's close to what I originally charged for the assembled speakers. That price was possible because (1) I'm an idiot, and (2) the black cabinets cost me about half as much as the domestically built kit cabinets. Mark promised to give me a price for the AA kit shortly.
BuddTX, brian6751, jcr159 and 11 others like this.
post #9234 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dennis
Did you see my post at 9224?
Thanks
Ian
post #9235 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Not to worry. I just got off the phone with Mark--he said he had been preoccupied with some kind of get-together. Anyhow, we've firmed things up, and the kit should be up shortly. The tentative price for the parts only kit with cabinet plans and schematics will be a few pennies short of $900/pr. Mark charges $2.50 per component to wire the crossovers, which would bring that cost to $75,pr. I haven't got a price for flat packs yet, but a pair of Baltic Birch cabinets with bass wood corners, finished and stained would be something like $400/pr (don't hold me to that). So the most complete kit for non-wood workers and non-soldering types would be around $900 + $75 + $400, or a little under $1,400. That's close to what I originally charged for the assembled speakers. That price was possible because (1) I'm an idiot, and (2) the black cabinets cost me about half as much as the domestically built kit cabinets. Mark promised to give me a price for the AA kit shortly.
Dennis,
You mentioned the AA kit as an idea above... have you guys determined yet if it will be the "+" version with the Morels?
Thx,
R
Lp85253 likes this.

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #9236 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
Dennis,
You mentioned the AA kit as an idea above... have you guys determined yet if it will be the "+" version with the Morels?
Thx,
R
My original thought was to just offer the regular AA. The Morel version would be considerably more expensive, and the Parts Express cabinets are a little low rent to fly in that market segment. I'll have to see what price Meniscus needs for the entry-level kit before I rule out a + version.
Lp85253 and Ryanosaur like this.
post #9237 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
My original thought was to just offer the regular AA. The Morel version would be considerably more expensive, and the Parts Express cabinets are a little low rent to fly in that market segment. I'll have to see what price Meniscus needs for the entry-level kit before I rule out a + version.
But some of us like to see how much better we can make "low rent" stuff perform, given the option.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #9238 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Get your Baltic Birch guy to design a flat-plack for an AA+. That way people could make them as basic or fancy as they wanted. That'd probably be one of the best sellers too.

I'm personally not a fan of the PE cabs, so I understand the hesitation with that.
post #9239 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Aren't the PE cabinets no longer available? I've been trying to source them without luck.
post #9240 of 9365 Old 10-01-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
Aren't the PE cabinets no longer available? I've been trying to source them without luck.
They're alive and kicking at https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-pair--300-645
Lp85253 and Ryanosaur like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page