Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 311 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4419Likes

post #9301 of 9366 Old 10-31-2019, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
AAM Centers?

Wow, great to see the BMR's are up on Meniscus! They're a bit out of my price range at the moment, and I'm excited to hear that Dennis is in talks with Meniscus about the AAMs. Personally, I'd be interested in a parts-only AAM+ kit, but I'd be happy with anything Dennis puts together.

Dennis, I had the opportunity to make your modifications to the BS22s in the past and I love those speakers. I understand that this takes a non-trivial amount of work, so I understand if this isn't worth your time, but have you considered making plans for your AAM centers available? Presumably you swapped in a new tweeter and adjusted the crossover, similar to the BS22s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 9366 Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDavidson View Post
Wow, great to see the BMR's are up on Meniscus! They're a bit out of my price range at the moment, and I'm excited to hear that Dennis is in talks with Meniscus about the AAMs. Personally, I'd be interested in a parts-only AAM+ kit, but I'd be happy with anything Dennis puts together.

Dennis, I had the opportunity to make your modifications to the BS22s in the past and I love those speakers. I understand that this takes a non-trivial amount of work, so I understand if this isn't worth your time, but have you considered making plans for your AAM centers available? Presumably you swapped in a new tweeter and adjusted the crossover, similar to the BS22s?
Gald to hear you're still enjoying the BS22's. I have no problem posting the AA Center crossover, but the build documentation for installing it would take some time. I'm happy to do it, but it's just a matter of priorities. I still haven't decided on which AA moniotor will be offered as a kit--the regular one or the +. The problem, of course, is that the tweeters for the + would add about $100 to the cost of the kit.
BuddTX and Lp85253 like this.
post #9303 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 AM
M S

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Gald to hear you're still enjoying the BS22's. I have no problem posting the AA Center crossover, but the build documentation for installing it would take some time. I'm happy to do it, but it's just a matter of priorities. I still haven't decided on which AA moniotor will be offered as a kit--the regular one or the +. The problem, of course, is that the tweeters for the + would add about $100 to the cost of the kit.
So offer both versions?!.
Vergiliusm and BluesDaddy56 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9304 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 113
If by chance anyone has a pair of the sealed, mini-philharmonitors in black, I would be interested in them.

I need some surround speakers for a pair of Salks that Jim is building for me.
post #9305 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I haven't noticed potential price points for the AAM kits mentioned in this thread. My understanding is that Dennis had little to no markup when he sold them (with cabinets) at 200/290 (non-+, and + versions). Since those are the prices for finished speakers, it seems like a parts-only kit with the Morel tweeters would still be "reasonably" priced (at least, relative to my budget!). With the non-plus version, I imagine I'd be spending some time (unproductively) wondering how much of an upgraded the Morels would be, so I'd appreciate the Morel option.

Whether the plus is offered or not, I have a pile of inherited wood dying to be made into a cabinet!

Nick
Lp85253 likes this.
post #9306 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDavidson View Post

Great to see these on Meniscus as well!!!
post #9307 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Current retail component pricing for each of the AA+ monitor options is about $100 over what Dennis was charging. And that would not include the assembly. Dennis was gifting these to the recipients.

What would really be nice would be to have pcb boards for the crossovers available for each of the AA monitor options (including the original Pioneer based AA). The crossovers are a real pain in the a** to assemble from scratch, ask me how I know . I bet these could be reasonably offered for about $40 for the pair including shipping. The other components would be purchased from their respective suppliers by the builder. No "kit" needed.
post #9308 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Personally im after the New AAMs without the morel tweeter. That way all my surrounds for my ATMOS system would be the same. I just cant say enough great things about the new AAMS i have.
post #9309 of 9366 Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukieDog View Post
Current retail component pricing for each of the AA+ monitor options is about $100 over what Dennis was charging. And that would not include the assembly. Dennis was gifting these to the recipients.

What would really be nice would be to have pcb boards for the crossovers available for each of the AA monitor options (including the original Pioneer based AA). The crossovers are a real pain in the a** to assemble from scratch, ask me how I know . I bet these could be reasonably offered for about $40 for the pair including shipping. The other components would be purchased from their respective suppliers by the builder. No "kit" needed.
That's not a bad idea. But pcb's aren't in the cards. The minimum order would be too large, particularly if 3 different crossovers were involved. Meniscus is offering hard-wired crossovers for the BMR at what seems like a bargain basement price--there may be a typo on their site, but it seems like they're wiring up a pair for $40. That puppy has 17 components and is indeed a pain in the butt to build. If that figure is accurate, Meniscus could do the AA's for even less, although I don't know whether they would be willing to just offer the crossovers. I'll have to check.

Last edited by PhilharmonicDennis; 11-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #9310 of 9366 Old 11-02-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agree, on a $1300 speaker, the $40 assembly fee is a bargain and a no brainer. Particularly if a layout diagram isn't provided. Figuring out the best way to orient components and wire them up can take me a couple of hours. But I wonder if that includes the terminal blocks so no soldering is required? And another $10 for precut hook up wires with slips-on would be helpful, would only need a screwdriver to put the thing together.

There is a vendor on eBay selling pcb boards for Paul Carmody designs (Amiga, Classix, Speedster, etc), as well as the C-Note, for $18. This includes the boards and the terminal blocks. Has already sold some 150 units. Not clear if these are "authorized," but it is a USA seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...+PCBs&_sacat=0
post #9311 of 9366 Old 11-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
A couple of questions to Dennis:
I am the proud owner of a pair of AAM's and corresponding Center Channel. My questions are: Would recreating their enclosure with real wood make them sound better? Is it worth it?

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
post #9312 of 9366 Old 11-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Agree, on a $1300 speaker, the $40 assembly fee is a bargain and a no brainer. Particularly if a layout diagram isn't provided. Figuring out the best way to orient components and wire them up can take me a couple of hours. But I wonder if that includes the terminal blocks so no soldering is required? And another $10 for precut hook up wires with slips-on would be helpful, would only need a screwdriver to put the whole thing together.
The "full kit" is another $40, which includes a much of what you are looking for. Don't know if the built crossover has terminals or not, but for $975 you'd get the full kit and pre-built cover and only have to build the cabinet. The routing for the BMR mid will be tricky if done manually. I just wound up buying a baffle from Rick for my center.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
post #9313 of 9366 Old 11-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
A couple of questions to Dennis:
I am the proud owner of a pair of AAM's and corresponding Center Channel. My questions are: Would recreating their enclosure with real wood make them sound better? Is it worth it?

If you mean solid wood, no. Wood is very resonant, and contracts and expands with changing humidity. The stock cabinets are solid enough, although it would be nicer if the front baffle didn't have a ridge on the sides.
jomartz and Ryanosaur like this.
post #9314 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hey Dennis.

Any update on the flat packs?
post #9315 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 09:33 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Agree, on a $1300 speaker, the $40 assembly fee is a bargain and a no brainer. Particularly if a layout diagram isn't provided. Figuring out the best way to orient components and wire them up can take me a couple of hours. But I wonder if that includes the terminal blocks so no soldering is required? And another $10 for precut hook up wires with slips-on would be helpful, would only need a screwdriver to put the thing together.

There is a vendor on eBay selling pcb boards for Paul Carmody designs (Amiga, Classix, Speedster, etc), as well as the C-Note, for $18. This includes the boards and the terminal blocks. Has already sold some 150 units. Not clear if these are "authorized," but it is a USA seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odk...+PCBs&_sacat=0

I've bought several of these from that seller and they are very nicely done. Not sure if he posts here or not but I've seen him in other forums.
post #9316 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
Hey Dennis.

Any update on the flat packs?
Unfortunately, it appears that my builder's potential involvement in the BMR kit project is causing some, uh, domestic problems. I think the best I'm going to be able to do is routed baffles.
post #9317 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 02:00 PM

OK--so how about this option. Parts Express has flat packs for a small tower speaker with an internal volume of a little over 1 cu ft, and the right width for the BMR--8". If my friend would agree to cut the baffles along with an attached small chamber for the midrange, most anyone could glue everything together. Finishing the raw mdf would be an issue, but perhaps some of you could offer approaches to that. A pair of the flat packs would cost something like $150 and you would probably need short stands to get the tweeter at the right level (or tilt them back). Here are the flat pack specs:

Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 1.16 cu. ft. Tower Speaker Cabinet
CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills, perfect for DIYers without expensive tools or access to a woodshop.
Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished cabinet volume: 1.16 cubic feet • External dimensions: 34" H x 8" W x 11" D • Internal dimensions: 32-1/2" H x 6-1/2" W x 9-1/2" D • Made in the U.S.A. • Sold individually.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #9318 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Have you spoken to Leland at Speaker Hardware? He does packs for similarly clever kits.

The one for the Statements Monitor seems to be similar in size to the BMR, and hence adaptable.

https://www.speakerhardware.com/stat...-flat-pack.php

Last edited by Steve Dodds; 11-04-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #9319 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 02:24 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
OK--so how about this option. Parts Express has flat packs for a small tower speaker with an internal volume of a little over 1 cu ft, and the right width for the BMR--8". If my friend would agree to cut the baffles along with an attached small chamber for the midrange, most anyone could glue everything together. Finishing the raw mdf would be an issue, but perhaps some of you could offer approaches to that. A pair of the flat packs would cost something like $150 and you would probably need short stands to get the tweeter at the right level (or tilt them back). Here are the flat pack specs:

Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 1.16 cu. ft. Tower Speaker Cabinet
CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills, perfect for DIYers without expensive tools or access to a woodshop.
Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished cabinet volume: 1.16 cubic feet • External dimensions: 34" H x 8" W x 11" D • Internal dimensions: 32-1/2" H x 6-1/2" W x 9-1/2" D • Made in the U.S.A. • Sold individually.

Can you go straight to DIYSG and see if he'll custom make the MDF cabs for you? Those are his kits on PE, IIRC.

Yeah, I don't like MDF as well as I do baltic birch, but MDF can be painted or veneered. If not, the front baffles are indeed the most difficult part to cut. The rest of the box can easily be cut from a large sheet of MDF or baltic birch.

I don't think you're going to satisfy everyone though. DIY speakers are not exactly easy...even something like a small $100 C-Note kit from PE takes a little skill, space and know-how to get a nicely finished product.
post #9320 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Have you spoken to Leland at Speaker Hardware? He does packs for similarly clever kits.

The one for the Statements Monitor seems to be similar in size to the BMR, and hence adaptable.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I'll get in touch with him and also email speaker builders listed on Bill Fitzmaurice's page. BTW, I couldn't find a link to the Statement kit. Do you have one? Thanks again

Last edited by PhilharmonicDennis; 11-04-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #9321 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I'll get in touch with him and also email speaker builders listed on Bill Fitzmaurice's page. BTW, I couldn't a link to the Statement kit. Do you have one? Thanks again
Just this one:

There is also a guy who builds cabinets for Madisound kits:

http://www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html
post #9322 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Just this one:

There is also a guy who builds cabinets for Madisound kits:

http://www.taylorspeakers.com/html/custom__kits.html
Thanks The Statements monitor kit does look like it could be easily adaptable to the BMR monitor. if I write using their listed contact address, will I get Leland?
uncola and BluesDaddy56 like this.
post #9323 of 9366 Old 11-04-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd assume so. On their About Us page they actually invite designers such as yourself to contact them.

Given the level of interest here, it would seem that the BMR could be pretty popular for them.
BluesDaddy56 likes this.
post #9324 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Good news. Thanks to the tip from Steve Dodds, I've lined up flat packs and finished cabinets for the BMR. I have to iron out final details for the finished cabinets, but they'll be Baltic Birch and stained and finished to customer preference. The flat packs will also be birch, and go for $300/pair. The wait time for finished cabinets will be a month or less. I'll post full details when I know pricing for the cabinets.
post #9325 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
The wait time for finished cabinets will be a month or less.
That's what he says now...
post #9326 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
That's what he says now...
He seems to have a pretty good track record, and the finished cabinets will just be assembled from the flat pack. But we'll see.
post #9327 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
He seems to have a pretty good track record, and the finished cabinets will just be assembled from the flat pack. But we'll see.
I just mean I'm not sure if he knows what the demand will be.
post #9328 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I just mean I'm not sure if he knows what the demand will be.
Well, the demand could be from zippo to brisk. I have no idea how many people will want to assemble a kit.
post #9329 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let's do a Massdrop on BMR speaker kits.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)
post #9330 of 9366 Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Let's do a Massdrop on BMR speaker kits.
Good idea. I'm an avid Drop customer (formerly called Massdrop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page