Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 312 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4391Likes

post #9331 of 9341 Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Let's do a Massdrop on BMR speaker kits.
I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds dangerous. I'll let you know when I get everything sorted out and posted on Meniscus and my web site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 9341 Old 11-09-2019, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds dangerous. I'll let you know when I get everything sorted out and posted on Meniscus and my web site.
Oh it can be dangerous to your wallet!
https://drop.com/

Vendors/manufactures, etc will offer a low price or a special version of one of their products, but the catch is that it is only offered for a short time (like ebay) and they have to get "xx" number of orders otherwise the deal is off, and buyers know that they will have to wait until the product is manufactured.

So lets say you are a speaker builder/manufacturer/vendor. You have your "Lirpa 1 Four way" Bookshelf speaker that normally sells for 1000 dollars. You offer it for 700.00, but the catch is, that you will only follow thru and produce the speaker if you get a minimum of 300 (or whatever you decide) orders. You don't start production until the "bid" is completed, and the minimum order has been met. Buyers know in advance that the product may not ship for "xx" days/weeks/months etc. after the bid has ended and minimum order is met.

Another variation is, that you offer a custom, limited edition of the
"Lirpa 1 Four way" Bookshelf speaker, made with Amazon Rain-forest Petrified Wood, 4 gauge internal solid gold cabling, and unobtanium crossover components. Of course, made by Virgin Nymphs at midnight, only on Prime Numbered days of the month, and blessed by the audio gods, and the ghosts of Paul Klipch, Christian Doppler, James "B" Bullough Lansing (JBL), Ray Dolby (not Thomas!), Henry Kloss, and Dr. Amar Bose, at the next Vernal equinox, Zulu Time. Of course, all components are built in Zero Gravity conditions, in a pure vacuum, so as to not oxidize any components (the nymphs don't need Oxygen!). This great deal will only cost you 400 dollars more than the standard Lipra 1 made with MDF by the gals down at the bowling alley. Again, you will send the Nymphs back to Middle Earth, unless you get 300 orders.

I think there are options like, as the orders go up, the price per each goes down, so if the minimum order is 300 units, and you will sell it for 700.00, if you get 500 units, the price drops to 600.00. (Of course just making the quanity and discounts up, the actual numbers are set by the vendor.
drh3b likes this.

Last edited by BuddTX; 11-09-2019 at 07:47 AM.
post #9333 of 9341 Old 11-09-2019, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
Oh it can be dangerous to your wallet!
https://drop.com/

Vendors/manufactures, etc will offer a low price or a special version of one of their products, but the catch is that it is only offered for a short time (like ebay) and they have to get "xx" number of orders otherwise the deal is off, and buyers know that they will have to wait until the product is manufactured.

So lets say you are a speaker builder/manufacturer/vendor. You have your "Lirpa 1 Four way" Bookshelf speaker that normally sells for 1000 dollars. You offer it for 700.00, but the catch is, that you will only follow thru and produce the speaker if you get a minimum of 300 (or whatever you decide) orders. You don't start production until the "bid" is completed, and the minimum order has been met. Buyers know in advance that the product may not ship for "xx" days/weeks/months etc. after the bid has ended and minimum order is met.

Another variation is, that you offer a custom, limited edition of the
"Lirpa 1 Four way" Bookshelf speaker, made with Amazon Rain-forest Petrified Wood, 4 gauge internal solid gold cabling, and unobtanium crossover components. Of course, made by Virgin Nymphs at midnight, only on Prime Numbered days of the month, and blessed by the audio gods, and the ghosts of Paul Klipch, Christian Doppler, and Dr. Amar Bose, at the next Vernal equinox. Of course, all components are built in Zero Gravity conditions, in a pure vacuum, so as to not oxidize any components (the nymphs don't need Oxygen!). This great deal will only cost you 400 dollars more than the standard Lipra 1 made with MDF by the gals down at the bowling alley. Again, you will send the Nymphs back to Middle Earth, unless you get 300 orders.

I think there are options like, as the orders go up, the price per each goes down, so if the minimum order is 300 units, and you will sell it for 700.00, if you get 500 units, the price drops to 600.00. (Of course just making the quanity and discounts up, the actual numbers are set by the vendor.
Thanks for the explanation and suggestions for materials I might want to use in future BMR's. That doesn't sound like anything I would want to get involved in. When the full kit is ready for regular orders at the list price, I'll run it up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9334 of 9341 Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Good news. Thanks to the tip from Steve Dodds, I've lined up flat packs and finished cabinets for the BMR. I have to iron out final details for the finished cabinets, but they'll be Baltic Birch and stained and finished to customer preference. The flat packs will also be birch, and go for $300/pair. The wait time for finished cabinets will be a month or less. I'll post full details when I know pricing for the cabinets.
Does that mean I get a pair as a spotters fee?

post #9335 of 9341 Old 11-10-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
Does that mean I get a pair as a spotters fee?

Well, I'll see that you get a pair for cost, which shouldn't be too much higher than the retail price.
post #9336 of 9341 Old 11-11-2019, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Well, I'll see that you get a pair for cost, which shouldn't be too much higher than the retail price.
post #9337 of 9341 Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Knowing Dennis, cost might even be MORE than the retail price!! lol
BuddTX likes this.
post #9338 of 9341 Old 11-11-2019, 05:20 PM
M S

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonicdennis View Post
well, i'll see that you get a pair for cost, which shouldn't be too much higher than the retail price.
:d:d:d
post #9339 of 9341 Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
OK--so how about this option. Parts Express has flat packs for a small tower speaker with an internal volume of a little over 1 cu ft, and the right width for the BMR--8". If my friend would agree to cut the baffles along with an attached small chamber for the midrange, most anyone could glue everything together. Finishing the raw mdf would be an issue, but perhaps some of you could offer approaches to that. A pair of the flat packs would cost something like $150 and you would probably need short stands to get the tweeter at the right level (or tilt them back). Here are the flat pack specs:

Denovo Audio Knock-Down MDF 1.16 cu. ft. Tower Speaker Cabinet
CNC knock-down cabinets make it easy for the beginner to end up with amazing finished results without all of the time and effort necessary to perfect your woodworking skills, perfect for DIYers without expensive tools or access to a woodshop.
Specifications: • Panel thickness: 3/4" • Panel material: Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) • Finished cabinet volume: 1.16 cubic feet • External dimensions: 34" H x 8" W x 11" D • Internal dimensions: 32-1/2" H x 6-1/2" W x 9-1/2" D • Made in the U.S.A. • Sold individually.
Late on the reply, but I actually like the idea of a small tower better than a tall bookshelf. The tall bookshelf makes setting up in a living room quite awkward when WAF is a concern.

Martin Logan Motion 40 mains
HSU ULS-15 MK2 and SVS PC-2000
NAD T757 with AM200 audio card
post #9340 of 9341 Old 11-15-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked: 2101
Dennis, I am glad to hear that the Phil-BMR will live on...it was/is a great speaker that can produce great sound without a over the top price. With partial DIY or finished versions available, people can pick this speaker up at a good price.
Lp85253 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #9341 of 9341 Old 11-15-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I listen to my New Philharmonitors every day as part of my computer setup(most of my time spent there) and I'm just so satisfied with them. I'm grateful I discovered Dennis. I realize now how little he was charging over the parts cost. I recommend everyone who can DIY to give the phil bmr a try
Lp85253 and overg like this.

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, XTZ 3x12 Subwoofer, Denon DN-700AVP Processor, Mivera Iceedge 1200AS2 Class D amp, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, Intel Nuc HTPC
Bedroom setup: Philharmonic Audio New Philharmonitors, Folsom 7297 Amp, Oppo Sonica Dac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page