Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 314 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4469Likes

post #9391 of 9406 Old 12-28-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed the 3's. They're a pretty specialized item given their complexity and negative 6 SAF score I don't think either Meniscus or Speaker Hardware would want to take this on unless the BMR proves to be a popular item. If it does, I'll discuss a Phil 3 kit with them. One thing for sure--It won't cost $3,700.
hi dennis,

i guess it just shows what an incredible value the phil 3's were, when a kit will cost more than the original completed speakers. my thoughts were that it would be relatively easy to at least put the kits out there, since all the design work has already been completed. even if $4k for a kit, i think these are great speakers, and should still be available, one way or another. of course, less expensive is always better!

best,

doug s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 9406 Old 12-28-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post
I am very fortunate to call myself a Phil 3 Owner, thank you Dennis!
I would add my gratitude to this, too! (Sorry, Dennis... Just can't stop appreciating!)
BuddTX, ahblaza and Lp85253 like this.

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #9393 of 9406 Old 12-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by saf-t scissors View Post
Could the center channel mod be as simple as adding the Vifa tweeter and a 3.9uF cap?
OK--I finally got (almost) enough information to model this, and although I'm not sure about the value of the tweeter parallel coil, as long as it's not higher than about .5 mH, you should be able to get acceptable results by removing and throwing away the old tweet, splicing in a 2 ohm resistor and a 3.9 uF cap to the wire leading to the positive terminal of the tweeter, and then attaching the end of that wire and the negative wire to the appropriate terminals of the new Vifa tweeter. The order of the resistor and cap doesn't matter, just so they're connected n line with each other. The highs won't be perfectly flat--they'll trend down about 4 dB before rising again, but the response should be good enough for the superior Vifa tweeter to improve the clarity of vocals. If you hate it, it's easy enough to undo unless you really did throw away the old tweeter.
jomartz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9394 of 9406 Old 12-31-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

OK--I finally got (almost) enough information to model this, and although I'm not sure about the value of the tweeter parallel coil, as long as it's not higher than about .5 mH, you should be able to get acceptable results by removing and throwing away the old tweet, splicing in a 2 ohm resistor and a 3.9 uF cap to the wire leading to the positive terminal of the tweeter, and then attaching the end of that wire and the negative wire to the appropriate terminals of the new Vifa tweeter. The order of the resistor and cap doesn't matter, just so they're connected n line with each other. The highs won't be perfectly flat--they'll trend down about 4 dB before rising again, but the response should be good enough for the superior Vifa tweeter to improve the clarity of vocals. If you hate it, it's easy enough to undo unless you really did throw away the old tweeter.
Thanks Dennis!

I got email notifications with both replies, so I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. I think I have about $65 in this speaker, so if I can get a reasonable improvement for $20 and 30 minutes of work, I'll take that over spending a lot more for something else.
ahblaza likes this.
post #9395 of 9406 Old 01-11-2020, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 39
With Neil Peart passing away this week, and my wife and daughter out, I decided to crank YYZ from Exit Stage Left on my BMR's.

Holy mother of god. Definitely a worthy tribute to one of rock's all time great drummers. Thank you again for these amazing speakers Dennis. I first listened to Rush over 30 years ago, but other than seeing them in concert back in the 90's, I've never heard them like this.
post #9396 of 9406 Old 01-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Success!

I swapped out the tweeter and added the cap and resistor in series on the + lead. Also pulled out the factory batting and installed some 1/2" acoustic foam while I had the speaker apart. Before, the highs sounded passable at lower volumes, but were muddy/hollow at reference. I haven't redone the calibration - I only pushed up the level on the center channel a bit - but already it's a big difference.

Thanks Dennis!
post #9397 of 9406 Old 01-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
With Neil Peart passing away this week, and my wife and daughter out, I decided to crank YYZ from Exit Stage Left on my BMR's.

Holy mother of god. Definitely a worthy tribute to one of rock's all time great drummers. Thank you again for these amazing speakers Dennis. I first listened to Rush over 30 years ago, but other than seeing them in concert back in the 90's, I've never heard them like this.
Always happy to hear from happy BMR owners. The owner of the shop that will be making cabinets and flat packs for the BMR kit just wrote saying he'll have pricing and details by the last week of this month. I sure hope it's good news.
Lp85253, Ryanosaur and HazeT like this.
post #9398 of 9406 Old 01-11-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf-t scissors View Post
Success!

I swapped out the tweeter and added the cap and resistor in series on the + lead. Also pulled out the factory batting and installed some 1/2" acoustic foam while I had the speaker apart. Before, the highs sounded passable at lower volumes, but were muddy/hollow at reference. I haven't redone the calibration - I only pushed up the level on the center channel a bit - but already it's a big difference.

Thanks Dennis!
The stock center is just another of many examples of what can go wrong with a tweeter wave guide. I tried redoing AJ's crossover using the original tweeter, and it still sounded muddy. I'm glad you were able to replace it fairly easily.
jomartz likes this.
post #9399 of 9406 Old 01-11-2020, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked: 1886
Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post

That had to be fun, i cranked up some rush last night as well.. And was listening to my emotiva b1's Dennis modded... They sounded pretty great..edit: thanks Dennis

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #9400 of 9406 Old 01-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
The stock center is just another of many examples of what can go wrong with a tweeter wave guide. I tried redoing AJ's crossover using the original tweeter, and it still sounded muddy. I'm glad you were able to replace it fairly easily.
Could you please share part name and/or number for us not versed in the field? I'me very interested in making my AA Center Channel sound a bit crispier and cleaner. Thanks!

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
post #9401 of 9406 Old 01-14-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomartz View Post
Could you please share part name and/or number for us not versed in the field? I'me very interested in making my AA Center Channel sound a bit crispier and cleaner. Thanks!
This is the tweeter: https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1040 Don't forget to add the 2 ohm resistor and 3.9 uf capacitor in line with the tweeter positive terminal.
jomartz likes this.
post #9402 of 9406 Old 01-14-2020, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
This is the tweeter: https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...eter--264-1040 Don't forget to add the 2 ohm resistor and 3.9 uf capacitor in line with the tweeter positive terminal.
Thanks a million! When finished I'll share my thoughts.

Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors as Main speakers
Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
NHT SuperZero 2.1 Mini Monitors as Surround Speakers (4)
Dayton Audio Sub-1000 10" Subwoofers (2)
Marantz SR5013 Receiver + Sony XBR65X750D 65" 4K TV + Mac Mini + Apple TV 4K + PS4
post #9403 of 9406 Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
Damn, you just reminded me that I have never heard Neal Peart on my BMRs...well, not live! I guess I have to correct that...
Soulburner, Lp85253 and jomartz like this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #9404 of 9406 Old 01-17-2020, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Took a step away from the forums for a while and now jumping back in. Just when I was looking to get the AA center and went to the site I found out about Dennis being ill. Hopefully he's well on his way to a full recovery.

What would be a good recommendation for a center, either DIY or off the shelf, that would be close to what Dennis offered?
post #9405 of 9406 Old 01-18-2020, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles202 View Post
Took a step away from the forums for a while and now jumping back in. Just when I was looking to get the AA center and went to the site I found out about Dennis being ill. Hopefully he's well on his way to a full recovery.

What would be a good recommendation for a center, either DIY or off the shelf, that would be close to what Dennis offered?
I believe Dennis said the DCM speakers measured well enough. Its neutrality would be a good fit with the AA's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-C...H/174020666999
post #9406 of 9406 Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Phil BMR in Atlanta?

Quote:
Always happy to hear from happy BMR owners. The owner of the shop that will be making cabinets and flat packs for the BMR kit just wrote saying he'll have pricing and details by the last week of this month. I sure hope it's good news.
Looking forward to info on the BMR flatpacks! As I've never actually heard them, are there any BMR owners in the Atlanta area who would be willing to let me come over for a listen? Would like to do a sanity check to see if it is worth building them. My main concern is about sufficient bass for a largish room. I've never heard a sub integration I really liked (for music at least), I feel the audio waveform should all come from the same plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page