Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4601Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 9543 Old 02-11-2020, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I've received a subsequent email from Leland and I'm not sure we're on the same page regarding the finished product. I'll talk to him tomorrow and try to get some clarity.
OK I think I've ironed things out. If you want to go the flat pack route, a baltic birch set with no imperfections will cost $169 for one pack. If you're planning on painting or veneering the cabinet, you can get a pack with some football patches for $149 each. In both cases, Leland will provide a front baffle with 3/4" round over for an additional $15 each. The flat packs will have butt joints (Leland says mitered edges cause too many fit problems for people without the proper clamps, etc). So that means there will be exposed ply on the edges. Some people like that look, others don't. But for the next two months or so, that will be the only option. However--Leland will be experimenting with a new routing process that will leave no exposed ply. If it works out, you will be able to get either the flat packs or an assembled cabinet with only birch veneer showing. That will definitely cost more, but I won't know just how much until Leland actually builds a cabinet and can see how much extra labor is involved. Leland will start accepting orders next week, and I'll get general info on the kit up on my web site over the next few days. You can see Leland's website here: https://www.speakerhardware.com/
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 AM
Senior Member
 
AtlantaAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Sorry if this was covered before, but why is Dennis not accepting new orders?

Sony ES600VW Projector, 110" motorized screen, Yamaha 2060 AVR, Parasound Halo Hint, KEF LS50s, Focal 926 Arias, PS Audio Power Plant, Velodyne 12" Sub-Woofers (2), PSB In Wall Surrounds (4), Music Hall 7 Turntable, Grado Gold, Apple TV, Sonos (6 Zones), , 55" Samsung Q6F, Klipsch Forte IIIs, 75"Sony 940E , Crown Li1500 power amp...330WPC @ 8 ohms
AtlantaAllen is offline  
post #9453 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,959
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaAllen View Post
Sorry if this was covered before, but why is Dennis not accepting new orders?

He has stopped making speakers for personal reasons and has kindly found a way to get his designs still available in other means (kits, etc) for those of us interested.
jcr159 and Lp85253 like this.
hernanu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9454 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
AtlantaAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
He has stopped making speakers for personal reasons and has kindly found a way to get his designs still available in other means (kits, etc) for those of us interested.

Thanks, but damn! Now that I'm in the market, Poof!
At least that ought to make the speakers of existing customers hold their value.
hernanu likes this.

Sony ES600VW Projector, 110" motorized screen, Yamaha 2060 AVR, Parasound Halo Hint, KEF LS50s, Focal 926 Arias, PS Audio Power Plant, Velodyne 12" Sub-Woofers (2), PSB In Wall Surrounds (4), Music Hall 7 Turntable, Grado Gold, Apple TV, Sonos (6 Zones), , 55" Samsung Q6F, Klipsch Forte IIIs, 75"Sony 940E , Crown Li1500 power amp...330WPC @ 8 ohms
AtlantaAllen is offline  
post #9455 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 02:46 PM
Member
 
s2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I am not very handy at all when it comes to Do it yourself projects.

Is there a guide or maybe YouTube video that could help here? I may need to reach out to my brother in law to help me with the kits possibly.

I would love a step by step direction if possible because I am interested in this speaker..the BMR specifically.

Does the kit include the Scan Speak 7 inch woofer, mid range and Raal tweeter?

Has anyone done one themselves and what was the avg cost to get it done?



Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
s2000 is online now  
post #9456 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
I am not very handy at all when it comes to Do it yourself projects.

Is there a guide or maybe YouTube video that could help here? I may need to reach out to my brother in law to help me with the kits possibly.

I would love a step by step direction if possible because I am interested in this speaker..the BMR specifically.

Does the kit include the Scan Speak 7 inch woofer, mid range and Raal tweeter?

Has anyone done one themselves and what was the avg cost to get it done?



Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Although I haven't seen it yet, the Meniscus parts kit does come with instructions, and you can get the crossover boards wired and ready to install. Plus, finished cabinets will be available in a few weeks. So it shouldn't prove too daunting a task. With all the bells and whistles, the kit will run about what I was charging for the piano black Chinese BMR's. Although i obviously would have liked to bring it in for less, that's not possible when so much American labor is involved in wiring the crossovers and building the flat packs and assembled cabinets. The kit includes all of the drivers I used, and you can order any grade crossover parts you want, so if you wish to use more pricey capacitors and resistors than I did, it's just between you and your credit card limit.
BuddTX, Mudslide, ahblaza and 4 others like this.

Last edited by PhilharmonicDennis; 02-12-2020 at 08:04 PM.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9457 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Although I haven't seen it yet, the Meniscus parts kit does come with instructions, and you can get the crossover boards wired and ready to install. Plus, finished cabinets will be available in a few weeks. So it shouldn't prove too daunting a task. With all the bells and whistles, the kit will run about what I was charging for the piano black Chinese BMR's. Although i obviously would have liked to bring it in for less, that's not possible when so much American labor is involved in wiring the crossovers and building the flat packs and assembled cabinets. The kit includes all of the drivers I used, and you can order any grade crossover parts you want, so if you wish to use more pricey capacitors and resistors that I did, it's just between you and your credit card limit.
i might even give it a try soon.. my mind tells me it's a tough task.. but my ears may overrule my brain..
mboy and Ryanosaur like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #9458 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i might even give it a try soon.. my mind tells me it's a tough task.. but my ears may overrule my brain..
If you got an A+ in high school shop and have the space and tools, you can probably handle the parts kit. If you got an A or maybe an A-, you might consider a flat pack. If, like me, all you accomplished in shop was driving the instructor to drink and tears, then you should still be able to put together a pair using pre-wired crossovers and the finished cabinets
hernanu, ahblaza, jcr159 and 4 others like this.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9459 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
If you got an A+ in high school shop and have the space and tools, you can probably handle the parts kit. If you got an A or maybe an A-, you might consider a flat pack. If, like me, all you accomplished in shop was driving the instructor to drink and tears, then you should still be able to put together a pair using pre-wired crossovers and the finished cabinets
i was thinking the last option would be do- able for me ... i have cerebral palsy, but my left side works ok (better than most)..soldering might not work for me(my grandma taught me about 50 years ago but i haven't done it since) but i could probably put the finished product together if epoxy or something similar is possible...
BuddTX, mboy and ahblaza like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Lp85253 is offline  
post #9460 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 PM
The Village Idiot
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 9,501
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I heard back from Leland--the dude I've contracted with to build the BMR flat packs and finished cabinets. He's in the last stage of moving his shop and is still backed up as a result, but at least he gave me pricing info and a description of the flat packs. Here's what he said. I've asked him for a pic of something similar to what he's describing.

Biscuit jointed, pocket screw assembly flat pack, butt joints. Ply edges exposed on the sides, the baffle covers the entire front of the cab.
$169 each for a clear exterior, $149 each for one with football patches. The clear exterior can be stained and varnished as is. The football patch model will need veneer or paint. It's getting hard for me to find clear panels.
I still haven't done the experimental no visible joints cab.

Maybe I missed this in an earlier post, is one flat pack for 2 speakers, or one? Thanks, Dennis.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #9461 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 4,135
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Maybe I missed this in an earlier post, is one flat pack for 2 speakers, or one? Thanks, Dennis.

I really believe that's per speaker.......$169
ahblaza is offline  
post #9462 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I really believe that's per speaker.......$169
Right.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9463 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 08:19 PM
The Village Idiot
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 9,501
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I really believe that's per speaker.......$169
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Right.

Thanks!
ahblaza likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #9464 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Jish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy

Dennis, would you please let us know when you have the info up on your website? Also, given that it’s a transmission line design, will there be detailed plans of what type of filler material to use where inside the cabinet during assembly?

Has anyone here used the BMRs for home theater duty? If so, did you need two speakers for the center channel or did one provide enough coverage? It seems as though it would be too small for say a 100” screen.
Jish9 is offline  
post #9465 of 9543 Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Dennis, would you please let us know when you have the info up on your website? Also, given that it’s a transmission line design, will there be detailed plans of what type of filler material to use where inside the cabinet during assembly?

Has anyone here used the BMRs for home theater duty? If so, did you need two speakers for the center channel or did one provide enough coverage? It seems as though it would be too small for say a 100” screen.
I'll try and get the details up by Friday, and I'll post when I do. The BMR is a conventional bass reflex design--no transmission line. That would be difficult to pull off in a stand mount, and the Scan woofer isn't particularly suited to a TL loading. I'm not sure what the size of the projection screen has to do with the number of center channels needed for adequate coverage. I should think you would only want one center channel to minimize interactions and anchor the sound in the center. If you're worried about dispersion, the BMR has wider dispersion than just about any speaker I know of other than omni-directional designs. The more relevant issue is dynamics. If you want to listen at reference levels without taxing your amplifiers, you would probably be better off with a high-sensitivity design like JTR's. Although the BMR's will play loud enough for most listeners, and louder than I would ever want to experience, they were designed for the highest possible accuracy in reproducing music. I've never promoted them as an HT speaker, and there are lots of speakers out there better suited for sheer volume.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9466 of 9543 Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
BluesDaddy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
<snip> Although the BMR's will play loud enough for most listeners, and louder than I would ever want to experience, they were designed for the highest possible accuracy in reproducing music. I've never promoted them as an HT speaker, and there are lots of speakers out there better suited for sheer volume.
However, I use them in a modest size room (little over 3000 cubic feet) and they work wonderfully. I don't know that I've ever pushed them to their limits.
ahblaza and Rgarc like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
BluesDaddy56 is offline  
post #9467 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 12:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Jish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
However, I use them in a modest size room (little over 3000 cubic feet) and they work wonderfully. I don't know that I've ever pushed them to their limits.


I have always found that speakers that performed well for music always seemed to sound better with cinema versus the harshness of those speakers designed strictly for movies. For example I’m currently running B&W 805s for my fronts and they were not really made for cinema yet sound wonderful. If I wanted pure SPL I would just build 1099’s from the DIY sound group. Quality of sound always trumps sheer volume in my book.
jdcrox likes this.
Jish9 is offline  
post #9468 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,212
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
I have a 120 inch screen and one center works well...I am not sure the scenario were duals centers would be better than a single center!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #9469 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,212
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
I have always found that speakers that performed well for music always seemed to sound better with cinema versus the harshness of those speakers designed strictly for movies. For example I’m currently running B&W 805s for my fronts and they were not really made for cinema yet sound wonderful. If I wanted pure SPL I would just build 1099’s from the DIY sound group. Quality of sound always trumps sheer volume in my book.
Yes, I have found this as well...some speakers with greater range of dynamics, will give you a lot of UMMPH for HT...but can sometimes be hard on the ears for music listening. A good musical speaker is always good for HT, just sometimes won't get as loud.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
Elihawk is online now  
post #9470 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
ahender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
Read about a dozen pages on the BMR Philharmonitor kit from Meniscus Audio. Has anyone built a pair of these? Are the kits items exactly the same as what was in the original?

Thanks...Alan
Are the Meniscus Audio BMR "kit" parts exactly the same as what was in the original?

Why are there four options for tweeter capacitors?

Thanks...Alan
ahender is online now  
post #9471 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 11:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dennis, so glad to see things have improved and you're back! I began my quest for speakers right after you stepped away from the business and have been searching regularly for a used pair but nobody wants to part with them. I was very excited to find the kit available now and am eagerly awaiting updates on the cabinets.

I am a total novice when it comes to building speakers, but if I wanted to make my own cabinets or have a friend make them are there plans available to make a cabinet to match when you were selling the completed speakers? I dont know how much a slightly different interior would affect the sound but want to be as close as possible to the originals.
tinsleysboy is offline  
post #9472 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
Are the Meniscus Audio BMR "kit" parts exactly the same as what was in the original?

Why are there four options for tweeter capacitors?

Thanks...Alan
I'm not sure what brand of capacitors in the base kit, but I'm pretty sure they are equivalent to the ones I used. I did upgrade the tweeter caps somewhat, but they still weren't very expensive. There were no options for tweeter upgrades for the Chinese version of the BMR's, since the cabinets came with the crossovers installed. One of the advantages of the kit is that you can choose just about any grade of capacitors you want for the tweeter circuit, since the uf values are quite low and even premium caps won't break the bank. If there is any sonic difference in poly caps, it would most likely show up in the tweeter circuit, and that's why Dave at Meniscus has offered so many options. Any of the caps will sound fine, but if you don't want to lose sleep wondering whether a more expensive cap brand would have sounded better, you can go as far upscale as you want to go.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9473 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
BluesDaddy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 832
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahender View Post
Are the Meniscus Audio BMR "kit" parts exactly the same as what was in the original?

Why are there four options for tweeter capacitors?

Thanks...Alan
So people who believe that capacitors with the same values and tolerances sound "different" (with more expensive being "better") have a way to spend their money.
ahblaza and Ryanosaur like this.

Display: Vizio P55-E1l Pre-pro: Marantz 7703; Amps: Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1, H/K AVR 520 (direct in to amps); Sources: Sony UBP-X700; X-box 1 S; Technics 1200 Mk II; Win10 PC for digital; Phono Preamp: Emotiva XPS-1; Speakers - LR: Philharmonic BMR LR; Center: Selah Audio BMR-CC; Surrounds: Wharfedale Reva-2; Rear Surrounds: Wharfedale Diamond 220; Atmos: TF - Monoprice Alpha 8; TR - BIC VI-38; Subwoofers: dual Rythmik L22s
BluesDaddy56 is offline  
post #9474 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsleysboy View Post
Dennis, so glad to see things have improved and you're back! I began my quest for speakers right after you stepped away from the business and have been searching regularly for a used pair but nobody wants to part with them. I was very excited to find the kit available now and am eagerly awaiting updates on the cabinets.

I am a total novice when it comes to building speakers, but if I wanted to make my own cabinets or have a friend make them are there plans available to make a cabinet to match when you were selling the completed speakers? I dont know how much a slightly different interior would affect the sound but want to be as close as possible to the originals.
You can check with Meniscus to see whether it's possible to just purchase the cabinet plans. The only internal construction feature that needs to be maintained (other than bracing of some kind) is the size of the little sub-enclosure for the midrange.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9475 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ahender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
I'm not sure what brand of capacitors in the base kit, but I'm pretty sure they are equivalent to the ones I used. I did upgrade the tweeter caps somewhat, but they still weren't very expensive. There were no options for tweeter upgrades for the Chinese version of the BMR's, since the cabinets came with the crossovers installed. One of the advantages of the kit is that you can choose just about any grade of capacitors you want for the tweeter circuit, since the uf values are quite low and even premium caps won't break the bank. If there is any sonic difference in poly caps, it would most likely show up in the tweeter circuit, and that's why Dave at Meniscus has offered so many options. Any of the caps will sound fine, but if you don't want to lose sleep wondering whether a more expensive cap brand would have sounded better, you can go as far upscale as you want to go.
Thank you.
ahender is online now  
post #9476 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ahender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
So people who believe that capacitors with the same values and tolerances sound "different" (with more expensive being "better") have a way to spend their money.
Tweeter specs are probably over my head! If I were investing in this kit, my only goal would be they sound as good as the original. I would never be able to verify this since I do not have the originals.
ahender is online now  
post #9477 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Member
 
Hummada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey Dennis, it looks like snanspeak is dead. I also can't get the spade connectors unhooked with out breaking them. Is there an easy way to disconnect them?
Hummada is offline  
post #9478 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummada View Post
Hey Dennis, it looks like snanspeak is dead. I also can't get the spade connectors unhooked with out breaking them. Is there an easy way to disconnect them?
Have you tried some type of pliers to pull them off? That's always been my last ditch go-to method. I'm sorry if I've asked you these questions before, but which model BMR do you have? The original ones with the Parts Express cherry or piano black ones (either curved or rectangular, or the rectangular Chinese piano black cabinets that I sold most recently? Where are you located? Thanks
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
post #9479 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 03:40 PM
Member
 
Hummada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I can try with some needle nose pliers. I have the rectangle piano black. I was probably one of the last to get a pair before you retired. Do you still have the same email?

I'm in 47150
Hummada is offline  
post #9480 of 9543 Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummada View Post
I can try with some needle nose pliers. I have the rectangle piano black. I was probably one of the last to get a pair before you retired. Do you still have the same email?

I'm in 47150
OK Now I know who you are. I'll email you.
Lp85253 likes this.
PhilharmonicDennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off