Philharmonic Audio - Dennis Murphy - Page 317 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4729Likes

post #9481 of 9717 Old 02-15-2020, 11:40 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 342
For those who have never done a DIY kit before, I HIGHLY recommend that you pay the extra money and have Meniscus assemble the crossover. Also, the precut flat-packs are the way to go as well unless you are 100% sure that someone you know can duplicate the measurements or modify them so that the internal volume is identical. There's a decent amount of labor involved in a scratch-made cabinet and given that Dennis has a line on Baltic Birch flat packs, you'd be hard to beat those.

As well, 3/4" Baltic Birch is not cheap and is sometimes difficult to find.

But if you take your time and do it right, DIY can turn out pretty good. For instance, here's a Carmody Classix II that I just got done with. I gave them a "vintage 70's" look because I wanted them to look like they belonged with my vintage Marantz, plus it was a good match for the rest of my furniture. They are a dark gray painted front and Cherry/Mahogany stained Maple veneer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	classix3.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2685308  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9717 Old 02-15-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
For those who have never done a DIY kit before, I HIGHLY recommend that you pay the extra money and have Meniscus assemble the crossover. Also, the precut flat-packs are the way to go as well unless you are 100% sure that someone you know can duplicate the measurements or modify them so that the internal volume is identical. There's a decent amount of labor involved in a scratch-made cabinet and given that Dennis has a line on Baltic Birch flat packs, you'd be hard to beat those.

As well, 3/4" Baltic Birch is not cheap and is sometimes difficult to find.

But if you take your time and do it right, DIY can turn out pretty good. For instance, here's a Carmody Classix II that I just got done with. I gave them a "vintage 70's" look because I wanted them to look like they belonged with my vintage Marantz, plus it was a good match for the rest of my furniture. They are a dark gray painted front and Cherry/Mahogany stained Maple veneer.
very nice , i love that look
ahblaza and BluesDaddy56 like this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #9483 of 9717 Old 02-19-2020, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To follow up with my speaker problem, the driver is dead. Somehow the used amp that I purchased blew the speaker. So I have to take that apart and check the internal fuses. I never turned it on without a new fuse on the right channel, but it still fried that driver after blowing the fuse. Dennis is sending me a new driver and I'm getting the amp repaired if it's not the internal fuses. I should be back in the game soon.

I'm going to have to build another pair of these soon because they sound amazing!!!( Need them upstairs as well)

Thanks to everyone that helped and thanks to Dennis for being extremely fast to deal with the situation. If you've got the time to build these, just do it. I don't know how you could get better than how these speakers perform...or I don't want to know the price your have to pay to get better sound.
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9484 of 9717 Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummada View Post
To follow up with my speaker problem, the driver is dead. Somehow the used amp that I purchased blew the speaker. So I have to take that apart and check the internal fuses. I never turned it on without a new fuse on the right channel, but it still fried that driver after blowing the fuse. Dennis is sending me a new driver and I'm getting the amp repaired if it's not the internal fuses. I should be back in the game soon.

I'm going to have to build another pair of these soon because they sound amazing!!!( Need them upstairs as well)

Thanks to everyone that helped and thanks to Dennis for being extremely fast to deal with the situation. If you've got the time to build these, just do it. I don't know how you could get better than how these speakers perform...or I don't want to know the price your have to pay to get better sound.
Things would have gone even faster if Madisound hadn't sent you the wrong woofer. You should still get the right one this week. I've redone my web site to eliminate everything except the BMR page and links to the kit suppliers. You should feel free to email them about any questions or concerns you might have. I'm still hoping to get pics of the flat pack in a few days, and shots of the finished cabinets in a couple of weeks.
post #9485 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilharmonicDennis View Post
Things would have gone even faster if Madisound hadn't sent you the wrong woofer. You should still get the right one this week. I've redone my web site to eliminate everything except the BMR page and links to the kit suppliers. You should feel free to email them about any questions or concerns you might have. I'm still hoping to get pics of the flat pack in a few days, and shots of the finished cabinets in a couple of weeks.
Dennis, while I understand complete, I always enjoy visiting your web site and seeing it with a full compliment of speakers, even if you couldn't buy them. Seems like just before your "retirement" you had Phil3, BMR, mini Phil harmonitors and AAs? Maybe the Center for the BMR as well...
Brian Boro likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
post #9486 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Dennis, while I understand complete, I always enjoy visiting your web site and seeing it with a full compliment of speakers, even if you couldn't buy them. Seems like just before your "retirement" you had Phil3, BMR, mini Phil harmonitors and AAs? Maybe the Center for the BMR as well...
I'd like to see the old speakers up there because, for example, I have the New Philharmonitors so it would be nice to see the spec and the philosophy behind them as there is no literature about them anywhere. Suppose I (or others) decide to sell them, buyers would like to know too. (Like a link - Formerly Produced Models.)
BuddTX and Brian Boro like this.
post #9487 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
I will echo the above posters.

If it’s not too much trouble, I too really enjoyed the other pages on the website.

Thanks Dennis!
Brian Boro likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #9488 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 10:20 AM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post
I'd like to see the old speakers up there because, for example, I have the New Philharmonitors so it would be nice to see the spec and the philosophy behind them as there is no literature about them anywhere. Suppose I (or others) decide to sell them, buyers would like to know too. (Like a link - Formerly Produced Models.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

If it’s not too much trouble, I too really enjoyed the other pages on the website.

Thanks Dennis!

Try this: https://web.archive.org/web/20190201...onicaudio.com/

This is a 'snapshot' of Philharmonica Audio as of Feb. 1st 2019. Each link is clickable and shows the product page along with specs etc.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #9489 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

Thanks Dennis!
Points well taken. I'll get a link to the old pages posted on my site for people who are just curious or who might want to try and find a used pair for sale.
post #9490 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Points well taken. I'll get a link to the old pages posted on my site for people who are just curious or who might want to try and find a used pair for sale.
Done
post #9491 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Done

Dennis, thanks for doing that. Do you think you will ever have plans for the Philharmonic MTM Center and/or the new Philharmonitor available to build. I suspect that the BMR will sell nicely so there may be motivation for Meniscus Audio and Speaker Hardware to expand their offerings.
post #9492 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jish9 View Post
Dennis, thanks for doing that. Do you think you will ever have plans for the Philharmonic MTM Center and/or the new Philharmonitor available to build. I suspect that the BMR will sell nicely so there may be motivation for Meniscus Audio and Speaker Hardware to expand their offerings.
I'll have to see how it goes. Meniscus is still supposed to offer the AA monitor as a kit, but it would make more sense for Parts Express to offer it as an upgrade to the BR-1. I still can't figure out why they're not interested. Maybe a write-in campaign would work. Anyone want to sent off 1000 emails to the PE marketing team?
Lp85253 and Gyroscopics like this.
post #9493 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Dennis, is the link on the Philharmonic site? I couldn't find it.
post #9494 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_Z View Post
Dennis, is the link on the Philharmonic site? I couldn't find it.
Bottom of the first section, right above the section titled 'The BMR Philharmonitor'
post #9495 of 9717 Old 02-20-2020, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by D33vious View Post
Bottom of the first section, right above the section titled 'The BMR Philharmonitor'
Hidden in plain sight! I was looking for something a little less subtle, though it may be more obvious to non color blinded folks.
D33vious likes this.
post #9496 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2x woofers in BMR design

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy56 View Post
Here's a pic of the finished product.
Did Rick modify Dennis' original xover to add the second woofer, or create an entirely new xover? Any details available? Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to build a BMR floorstander variant with 2x woofers.
post #9497 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am also interested in a floor standing variant. Is there any information available on the cabinet dimensions for putting the BMR drivers into a floor stander? I love the look of the old Slims. I get nervous about separate stands and monitors when the 70 lb puppy is in a playful mood.
post #9498 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsleysboy View Post
I am also interested in a floor standing variant. Is there any information available on the cabinet dimensions for putting the BMR drivers into a floor stander? I love the look of the old Slims. I get nervous about separate stands and monitors when the 70 lb puppy is in a playful mood.

It's a DIY...you can do anything you want with the cabinet/stand. Put a divider into a floor-standing cabinet to maintain the proper internal volume, but it'll look like a floor standing speaker.
ahblaza likes this.
post #9499 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 11:40 AM

Sorry if I offended, _tk, I'm a noob and I wasn't very clear. I do realize that you can maintain the volume of the original on top of the rest of the tower. I meant I am curious as to whether the interior volume of the driver compartments of the slim were significantly different from that of the Phil BMR or if it is as you said, similar but essentially with a pretty stand already attached. I believe from what I read about the slims they were discontinued because their performance was nearly identical to the BMRs.

I am basically locked in on the BMR kit, but am trying to decide my best course of action regarding custom cabinets or those that will be available soon.
post #9500 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 98
My recollection is that the Slim Tower was discontinued because of its similarity to the Salk Songtower
post #9501 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsleysboy View Post
Sorry if I offended, _tk, I'm a noob and I wasn't very clear. I do realize that you can maintain the volume of the original on top of the rest of the tower. I meant I am curious as to whether the interior volume of the driver compartments of the slim were significantly different from that of the Phil BMR or if it is as you said, similar but essentially with a pretty stand already attached. I believe from what I read about the slims they were discontinued because their performance was nearly identical to the BMRs.

I am basically locked in on the BMR kit, but am trying to decide my best course of action regarding custom cabinets or those that will be available soon.
The Slims were a transmission line design and used the entire volume of the tower cabinet. They were discontinued because they were too similar to the the Salk Song 3's that I designed for Jim. I have my own design for a WMTMW BMR center channel, but it doesn't use the Scan woofers, nor does Rick's. The cabinet would be way too big. Mine uses the excellent Seas U16 6" woofer, and Rick's uses an SB Acoustics woofer. The only design I have for a multiple woofer BMR is a huge tower that would cost a fortune and is still experimental at this point.
BuddTX and Ryanosaur like this.
post #9502 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
The Slims were a transmission line design and used the entire volume of the tower cabinet. They were discontinued because they were too similar to the the Salk Song 3's that I designed for Jim. I have my own design for a WMTMW BMR center channel, but it doesn't use the Scan woofers, nor does Rick's. The cabinet would be way too big. Mine uses the excellent Seas U16 6" woofer, and Rick's uses an SB Acoustics woofer. The only design I have for a multiple woofer BMR is a huge tower that would cost a fortune and is still experimental at this point.
SSSSSOOOO want to see and hear this!

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #9503 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
SSSSSOOOO want to see and hear this!
See it you can. Hear it you can't, unless you live next door and have your windows open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar BMR+.png
Views:	217
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	2688154  
post #9504 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 03:46 PM

Thank you for the clarification. It was a while ago when I started my search and forgot what I had read.
post #9505 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
See it you can. Hear it you can't, unless you live next door and have your windows open.

Who exactly lives next door? And by chance do they rent out an air bnb room?
AverageJoseph, drh3b and Ryanosaur like this.

post #9506 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Nihao!

How much is a plane ticket again?

OK... Revelator woofers? Looks larger but I think 7" is where ScanSpeak stops doing that slice. And is the Raal a 70-10, or is it the 70-20?

7.2: Marantz SR6012, Outlaw Model 2200 (L/C/R/SL/SR)
Philharmonic Phil 3 (L//R), BMR (C), BMR (SL/SR), Mini-Phil (RL/RR), Outlaw X-13
Sony XBR49X900F, Sony UBPX700
post #9507 of 9717 Old 02-21-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaur View Post
Nihao!

How much is a plane ticket again?

OK... Revelator woofers? Looks larger but I think 7" is where ScanSpeak stops doing that slice. And is the Raal a 70-10, or is it the 70-20?

Those are 7" Revelators. This particular design requires a very complex low pass roll off for the woofer, and the Scan 8545 I use in the BMR monitor isn't smooth enough above the crossover point to achieve the desired slope geometry. The tweet is the 70-10. I prefer it to the 70-20 because of its broader dispersion and you have more options to tailor its high pass roll off. The 70-20 is designed to minimize the number of components needed to achieve a LR 4th order acoustic slope, but that's about all you can get with it. The 70-20 is mainly useful where a low crossover is required. I'll keep my neighbor anonymous, other than to say he'll be really pissed when it gets warm enough to open his windows.
post #9508 of 9717 Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Those are 7" Revelators. This particular design requires a very complex low pass roll off for the woofer, and the Scan 8545 I use in the BMR monitor isn't smooth enough above the crossover point to achieve the desired slope geometry. The tweet is the 70-10. I prefer it to the 70-20 because of its broader dispersion and you have more options to tailor its high pass roll off. The 70-20 is designed to minimize the number of components needed to achieve a LR 4th order acoustic slope, but that's about all you can get with it. The 70-20 is mainly useful where a low crossover is required. I'll keep my neighbor anonymous, other than to say he'll be really pissed when it gets warm enough to open his windows.

I guess now the question flips to do YOU have an air bnb room in your house Dennis?

post #9509 of 9717 Old 02-22-2020, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Is that going to be a Salk speaker?
post #9510 of 9717 Old 02-22-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 2232
Quote:
Sounds intriguing, Dennis! Keep us posted...
t1337Dude likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Integra AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech CA Aero 2, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Slimline AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Integra AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bmr philharmonitors , slim towers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page