JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1029Likes

post #3391 of 3517 Old 04-13-2020, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
If you do swap out your receiver, you may want to look at using an outboard multichannel amp... or maybe just a 3-channel for the left/center/right. That will take some of the burden off the receiver's less capable internal amps.
Sorry, I forgot to ask about this. Can you help me understand this better? These may be noob questions so just bear with me. If I was going to go this route, how does that install work? I tried googling and had a hard time finding what you were talking about. Also, what exactly is the type of product I'm looking for? when I look at power amps I don't really think that's what you're talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3517 Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticjacket View Post
It presents itself from multiple sources. Music while watching a movie or TV show, bluetooth straight from my Iphone, from streaming using my Nvidia Shield on spotify, listening to vinyl records. (vista phono 2 preamp, so I've tried messing with the load and gain to optimize, but still some lingering distortion issues). as my post suggests, I've tried turning down the source input on each of these as well.

Thanks for the advice, all. I'll be trying to dig into this. Just praying it's not the speakers or that I haven't damaged them somehow.
Do you have any physical media like a music CD that you can play?.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #3393 of 3517 Old 04-14-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5033 Post(s)
Liked: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticjacket View Post
Sorry, I forgot to ask about this. Can you help me understand this better? These may be noob questions so just bear with me. If I was going to go this route, how does that install work? I tried googling and had a hard time finding what you were talking about. Also, what exactly is the type of product I'm looking for? when I look at power amps I don't really think that's what you're talking about.

You would need a receiver (preferably one that can handle at least 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive audio - they will also be able to downconvert to 5.1.4 layouts too - and the latest 4k HDMI ports) with RCA pre-amp outputs on the back for each speaker and subwoofer channel output. You then take shielded RCA audio cables and plug them into the RCA audio inputs on an external power amplifier.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3394 of 3517 Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
You would need a receiver (preferably one that can handle at least 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X immersive audio - they will also be able to downconvert to 5.1.4 layouts too - and the latest 4k HDMI ports) with RCA pre-amp outputs on the back for each speaker and subwoofer channel output. You then take shielded RCA audio cables and plug them into the RCA audio inputs on an external power amplifier.

http://outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html
I'd be curious to get your thoughts on how much amplifier is "worth it" to drive the Studio 590's. I have 5 of them, and may upgrade the 530s that are currently serving as my surround rear speakers. So I've been tempted to get a 7 channel amp. But with the 590's being able to handle up to 250 watts max at 6 ohm, should I get something that is rated 200 watts at 8 ohm? I know it's important to buy from one of the more honest amp makers like Outlaw, who publish their stats with all channels driven.

I'm currently using a pair of older Outlaw mono block amps for my front two, but everything else in my system is powered by a Denon X4500H. I've been intrigued by the Monoprice Monolith 7x200. Would I notice a significant upgrade in sound quality? I listen mostly to upmixed music through Auro 3D, so I get a LOT of the sound through the surround speakers.

Thanks!
post #3395 of 3517 Old 04-15-2020, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5033 Post(s)
Liked: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtuary View Post
I'd be curious to get your thoughts on how much amplifier is "worth it" to drive the Studio 590's. I have 5 of them, and may upgrade the 530s that are currently serving as my surround rear speakers. So I've been tempted to get a 7 channel amp. But with the 590's being able to handle up to 250 watts max at 6 ohm, should I get something that is rated 200 watts at 8 ohm? I know it's important to buy from one of the more honest amp makers like Outlaw, who publish their stats with all channels driven.

I'm currently using a pair of older Outlaw mono block amps for my front two, but everything else in my system is powered by a Denon X4500H. I've been intrigued by the Monoprice Monolith 7x200. Would I notice a significant upgrade in sound quality? I listen mostly to upmixed music through Auro 3D, so I get a LOT of the sound through the surround speakers.

Thanks!

Why not get another Outlaw 2200 for the center? You're under-powering the critical center speaker using the Denon. Since you listen to music using the Auromatic upmixing format, do you have overhead speakers as well? Get a somewhat lower powered multi-channel amp to handle the surrounds and the overheads along with the third monoblock to handle the fronts.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #3396 of 3517 Old 04-15-2020, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Why not get another Outlaw 2200 for the center? You're under-powering the critical center speaker using the Denon. Since you listen to music using the Auromatic upmixing format, do you have overhead speakers as well? Get a somewhat lower powered multi-channel amp to handle the surrounds and the overheads along with the third monoblock to handle the fronts.
This was my first thought too.
Allen
post #3397 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Bought two Studio 590 on the last sale about 6 weeks ago. Cost me $918 with free shipping. Best speaker purchase i have ever made. Not only do the sound incredible with bass for days, but they look awesome. You cant walk into my home theater and not see them.
josh6113 and Vg247 like this.
post #3398 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post
Bought two Studio 590 on the last sale about 6 weeks ago. Cost me $918 with free shipping. Best speaker purchase i have ever made. Not only do the sound incredible with bass for days, but they look awesome. You cant walk into my home theater and not see them.
Hi Brian, thanks for sharing your great experience. Looks like we are neighbors, I’m in Henderson..

Would you be able to share what amp or AVR setup you are using for your 590’s?

I received my set of 590’s around the same time as you and as I previously posted I am using a Denon X3500 to run them in a 3.1 setup: HSU CCB-8 as center speaker and Rythmik FV18 for the sub. - I can’t seem to get the nice bass from my Studio 590’s everyone is reporting , so I am wondering if it is something wrong with the speakers, or my expectations for the bass levels too high for them, or if they are just unpowered by my Denon. This is at reference listening levels nothing at max levels etc.

Anything insight is much appreciated.
post #3399 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vg247 View Post
Hi Brian, thanks for sharing your great experience. Looks like we are neighbors, I’m in Henderson..

I received my set of 590’s around the same time as you and as I previously posted I am using a Denon X3500 to run them in a 3.1 setup: HSU CCB-8 as center speaker and Rythmik FV18 for the sub. - I can’t seem to get the nice bass from my Studio 590’s everyone is reporting , so I am wondering if it is something wrong with the speakers, or my expectations for the bass levels too high for them, or if they are just unpowered by my Denon. This is at reference listening levels nothing at max levels etc.

Ha Henderson. My main customer is Xtreme Manufacturing, just off of Auto Show drive, so its almost like i live there. Anyway my system is focused on ATMOS (5.2.4) so i have an AVR. I have the Pioneer VSX-LX303 with Arena 130's for heights, Dennis murphy AA monitors for surrounds, his AA center, and a Rythmik LVX12. Im thinking you might have high expectations. I think my Rythmik kills, i cant imagine how insane your 18" is. Your system must look ridiculous! You have the the massive rythmik 18" flanked by 2 very large 590's......beautiful!
Vg247 likes this.
post #3400 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

If you are running them full range with your sub you could be canceling the bass out. You need to make sure you don’t have them crossing over if you are trying to run them full range. I have mine crossed over at 50 or 60 hz. With my svs sb16 taking care of the low end, then I have my surrounds crossed over at 80 hz which is two sets of 530. I am using a Denon 4300 to power them.

Allen
Vg247 likes this.
post #3401 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
anyone tried crossing the 530s at 60hz? im using them at 80 for movies.

rule of thumb is 80 i guess but these can go down to approx 45 i think.
i like their tight bass in stereo so would like to use it.
im using a hsu vtf2 mk5 sub. ive read the sub is not too great at mid bass.
post #3402 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecateLight View Post
anyone tried crossing the 530s at 60hz? im using them at 80 for movies.

rule of thumb is 80 i guess but these can go down to approx 45 i think.
i like their tight bass in stereo so would like to use it.
im using a hsu vtf2 mk5 sub. ive read the sub is not too great at mid bass.
There down 45hz 6 db down so not terribly useful.I cross mine at 100hz to my Polk psw108 sub.I also have analog EQ on my amp for bass and treble that I use so I can get more volume out of mine without taxing the woofer on the 530's.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #3403 of 3517 Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boro View Post

Quote:
Hi Brian, thanks for sharing your great experience. Looks like we are neighbors, I’m in Henderson.
Didn't expect to run across two guys with 590s here in town...that's awesome. Very intriguing to see the differences in setups built around these speakers!

I always feel like all these other people interested in decent audio are so far away, haha.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Vg247 likes this.

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
post #3404 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
If you are running them full range with your sub you could be canceling the bass out. You need to make sure you don’t have them crossing over if you are trying to run them full range. I have mine crossed over at 50 or 60 hz. With my svs sb16 taking care of the low end, then I have my surrounds crossed over at 80 hz which is two sets of 530. I am using a Denon 4300 to power them.

Allen
Thanks Allen, I do have them set to “small” speakers in the Denon speaker size setup menu, and also not running full range and also at 60Hz. I’m content with everything all else was just curious about the nice bass everyone was sharing that I don’t seem to observe on them.

I think my expectations are too high.

Thanks Brian and JosephTonyStark, along with everyone else here..very cool to know we are neighboring local audiophiles;-) in Vegas. Cheers!
post #3405 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Thanks Allen, I do have them set to “small” speakers in the Denon speaker size setup menu, and also not running full range and also at 60Hz. I’m content with everything all else was just curious about the nice bass everyone was sharing that I don’t seem to observe on them.

I think my expectations are too high.

Thanks Brian and JosephTonyStark, along with everyone else here..very cool to know we are neighboring local audiophiles;-) in Vegas. Cheers!
With that Rythmik and a 60 Hz crossover what kind of bass would you be expecting from the speakers? Have you tried things like increasing your sub trim, adjusting the crossover frequency (raising as high as 90 Hz, tweaking the sub distance in your setup, etc), doing the sub crawl to make sure your sub is ideally located, etc? Bass can be tricky and little changes can go a long way.
skypop likes this.
post #3406 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephTonyStark View Post
Didn't expect to run across two guys with 590s here in town...that's awesome. Very intriguing to see the differences in setups built around these speakers!

I always feel like all these other people interested in decent audio are so far away, haha.

Since there is virtually no commercial support for us speaker people here in Vegas it is amazing there are 3 of us willing to brave this audio wasteland. Im doing it....and loving it!
JosephTonyStark and Vg247 like this.
post #3407 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I find myself once again considering grabbing a pair of 590s to contrast with my Revel F35s. I really don't think the sound would be all that different but I can't help but love having such giant speakers for my main listening area.

Last edited by KSpan; 04-22-2020 at 12:42 PM.
post #3408 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 13 channel Atmos setup along with 2 subs. I had an external Emotiva amp powering just some of the surrounds but when I pushed the system hard I had two instances when my Denon 4400 went into protect mode. It did not happen all the time but during dynamic movies when I cranked it it happened twice.

I first went with some Crown pro amps to power the main 3 590's (I use a 590 as my center behind an AT screen). I had ground loop issues that I could not resolved and picked up an Emotiva XPA 3 to power the mains and I have had no issues since with dynamic movies at high volume. It is hard to really say if they sound better but they can definitely play louder with zero issues now.
Eggtuary likes this.

Last edited by ack_bk; 04-22-2020 at 01:46 PM.
post #3409 of 3517 Old 04-22-2020, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Thanks!
I first used my Pioneer SC-95 to drive five 590s and two 580s, and later upgraded to the Monolith 7. It seemed to me like they benefited from the extra power. It wasn't night and day, but it was noticeable. Of course, that was all based on notoriously unreliable audio memory, so take it with a grain of salt.

The Monoprice amp did have a hum to it, but their customer service department was great to work with, and they actually replaced it at no charge with a Monolith X7. I didn't even have to pay for shipping either way.

I thought it was a worthy upgrade, and wouldn't hesitate making a similar purchase in the future.

Scott
Eggtuary likes this.

post #3410 of 3517 Old 04-25-2020, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I have a 13 channel Atmos setup along with 2 subs. I had an external Emotiva amp powering just some of the surrounds but when I pushed the system hard I had two instances when my Denon 4400 went into protect mode. It did not happen all the time but during dynamic movies when I cranked it it happened twice.

I first went with some Crown pro amps to power the main 3 590's (I use a 590 as my center behind an AT screen). I had ground loop issues that I could not resolved and picked up an Emotiva XPA 3 to power the mains and I have had no issues since with dynamic movies at high volume. It is hard to really say if they sound better but they can definitely play louder with zero issues now.
Just curious how were you running 13 channels with 4400 as it is only 11 channel (9 amps).
I also run 4400 to control control an atmos setup of 9 channels (5.1.4) with 5 channels being 590s, 520C and 530s. Atmos height speaker are all sats.
Never had an issue with 4400 shutting down but since it used to get quite hot, added a couple of Infinity fans to pull heat out of 4400. They do an amazing job and 4400 stays cool to touch even after a 3 hour movie. I do not have to crank too high for movies, around -15db does the job. My setup is less taxing but again I am not using any addition external amps

5.1.4 Setup - Dedicated Media Room
Denon 4400
JBL590/520C/530/550P 5.1.x
MartinLogan MLT-2 x.x.4
Vivitek 2299 4K Projector
post #3411 of 3517 Old 04-25-2020, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by iafzal View Post
Just curious how were you running 13 channels with 4400 as it is only 11 channel (9 amps).
I also run 4400 to control control an atmos setup of 9 channels (5.1.4) with 5 channels being 590s, 520C and 530s. Atmos height speaker are all sats.
Never had an issue with 4400 shutting down but since it used to get quite hot, added a couple of Infinity fans to pull heat out of 4400. They do an amazing job and 4400 stays cool to touch even after a 3 hour movie. I do not have to crank too high for movies, around -15db does the job. My setup is less taxing but again I am not using any addition external amps

I have four columns in my theater room with surround speakers built into them. For the columns I am using a Minidsp 2x4 which will take in 2 channels and let you split out to four. Using an Emotiva A500 for the surrounds.

The Minidsp lets you add some time delay in order to dial in the surrounds, but to be honest I have not really needed it from my main seating position. You can also split to more channels using RCA splitters. Lots of ways to do it.
post #3412 of 3517 Old 04-25-2020, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
going to run a pair of 530s with a sony 2 channel amp for desktop use
does it matter if i choose 6 or 8 ohms on the amp
post #3413 of 3517 Old 04-25-2020, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
Probably not .. It won't hurt the amp either way..the sound might change a bit , but i doubt it ... The setting will probably reduce current on 6 ohm.. Its a cya regulatory thing..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #3414 of 3517 Old 04-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I've heard it more than once that that setting should be left to 8 Ohm....

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
post #3415 of 3517 Old 04-27-2020, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
There down 45hz 6 db down so not terribly useful.I cross mine at 100hz to my Polk psw108 sub.I also have analog EQ on my amp for bass and treble that I use so I can get more volume out of mine without taxing the woofer on the 530's.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
I crossover my 530's at 70Hz, and my 520C at 90Hz. Powering them is a Sony STR-ZA1000ES. It all depends on your System, your room, your ears. The best is what makes your ears happy.

UPDATE: With this quaranteen I've been testing. The best compromise for music / movies is 530's is 90Hz, my 520C is 100Hz.
Vg247 likes this.

Last edited by Paulo72; 05-06-2020 at 06:47 AM.
post #3416 of 3517 Old 05-06-2020, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 35
JBL has just marked down their Studio 590 speakers 40% off.
post #3417 of 3517 Old 05-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Longer term review: after months with 3 580's and two 530's, I am thoroughly impressed, hell, I am beyond impressed. The sale price of these bad boys totaled 1300 bucks and this was very, very worth it in my opinion. The fullness, clarity, sound stage, imagine, its all fantastic! I have heard plenty better speakers, custom cabinets weight 150 lbs with 800 dollar a pop mid woofers, almost as expensive tweeters and some amazing 42 dollar 8" woofers lol. But point is, yes, there is certainly better experiences to be had, but at the sale price of these bad boys and not having to go the DIY route, these blow me away. I am amazed at the center imagine of them once you get them very, very towed in. I can watch a 2.0 broadcast, say Rick and Morty, and I would be be lying if I didn't believe the center channel was on pumping voices into my room. There is without a doubt a difference listening to true 5.1 source, but it is fantastic imagine none the less.

With that said, I think it may be time to replace my receiver so I can pair it with an nvidia shield TV for trueHD source. Right now my chromecast is plugged directly into my TC and audio is passed back over ARC which can't support TrueHD, and my receiver doesn't support 4k HDR.... so I need a new receiver.

Any suggestions? Also, any idea if this is a bad time to be buying a receiver? Are there any new codex on the horizon I should be waiting for support to be released for and thus wait for that new hardware decoding capability? Or is this just not how this works/not worth waiting for?
scottiemon, josh6113 and Vg247 like this.
post #3418 of 3517 Old 05-31-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfoxgt View Post
Longer term review: after months with 3 580's and two 530's, I am thoroughly impressed, hell, I am beyond impressed. The sale price of these bad boys totaled 1300 bucks and this was very, very worth it in my opinion. The fullness, clarity, sound stage, imagine, its all fantastic! I have heard plenty better speakers, custom cabinets weight 150 lbs with 800 dollar a pop mid woofers, almost as expensive tweeters and some amazing 42 dollar 8" woofers lol. But point is, yes, there is certainly better experiences to be had, but at the sale price of these bad boys and not having to go the DIY route, these blow me away. I am amazed at the center imagine of them once you get them very, very towed in. I can watch a 2.0 broadcast, say Rick and Morty, and I would be be lying if I didn't believe the center channel was on pumping voices into my room. There is without a doubt a difference listening to true 5.1 source, but it is fantastic imagine none the less.

With that said, I think it may be time to replace my receiver so I can pair it with an nvidia shield TV for trueHD source. Right now my chromecast is plugged directly into my TC and audio is passed back over ARC which can't support TrueHD, and my receiver doesn't support 4k HDR.... so I need a new receiver.

Any suggestions? Also, any idea if this is a bad time to be buying a receiver? Are there any new codex on the horizon I should be waiting for support to be released for and thus wait for that new hardware decoding capability? Or is this just not how this works/not worth waiting for?
Not sure how many speakers total your setup is, and if this would be for music only or if you are looking for a home theater/music AVR - I suggest looking at the Denon X series or Marantz AVR’s, on the higher models the have exceptional built in amps and has the Audyssey XT32 auto speaker calibration tool to setup your speakers and dual/single subs etc. Given most prior year models have been sold by now, for current line up models; deals might not be readily found IMO however decent AVR’s can be had anywhere from $500-$1200 depending on the specs you desire.

I am running my studio 590 towers, a center channel speaker, and dual subs in a 3.2 setup for HT/Music use and my Denon x3500H has been awesome.
post #3419 of 3517 Old 05-31-2020, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Curious what your recommendations would be for in-ceiling speakers to pair with the Studio 5 towers. Leaning towards the Studio 2 8ic/6ic.

7.4.4 setup with Studio 590 LCR and 580 surrounds. It's easily an extra $600 going with 8ic's over the 6ic's. Main differences are higher sensitiviy (88db vs 86db), larger driver and slightly lower freq response, however they would be crossed over at 80-100hz. I remember reading here that the 8ic's would be a no-brainer if they ever went on sale beyond the typical 13% discount, but I've yet to see that happen.

Room will be approx 15W x 20L with 8' ceilings. I was originally going to go with 520c's as Atmos speakers like @Molon_Labe once did, but that was when I was considering an UST projector. Now going with a traditional throw, and the 520c's would literally block the projected image.

The Studio | Planning Stages - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3155530-studio-semi-dedicated-theater.html
9.4.4 - JVC X790R - JBL 590/530/227C - PSA S3000i + S3600i + T18HT^2
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Apple TV 4K
400+ UHD and counting...
post #3420 of 3517 Old 05-31-2020, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Not sure how many speakers total your setup is, and if this would be for music only or if you are looking for a home theater/music AVR - I suggest looking at the Denon X series or Marantz AVR’s, on the higher models the have exceptional built in amps and has the Audyssey XT32 auto speaker calibration tool to setup your speakers and dual/single subs etc. Given most prior year models have been sold by now, for current line up models; deals might not be readily found IMO however decent AVR’s can be had anywhere from $500-$1200 depending on the specs you desire.

I am running my studio 590 towers, a center channel speaker, and dual subs in a 3.2 setup for HT/Music use and my Denon x3500H has been awesome.
Sorry, yea I really didn't define this very well.

I have a 5.2 setup, 3x590's and 2 530's. I do certainly listen to music, but the main goal of this setup is home theater so TV/movies/ and honestly 80% youtube... But the reason to change is to be able to get full TrueHD lossless audio.

Currently I am in an apartment so no Atmos for me although I expect to have a house in the next 1-2 years and would expect to go atmos once I have a living room I can build out. With that said, I am a bit unsure if it makes the most sense to get a "fine" 5.2 receiver now for ~300 bucks, and once I actually am ready to build the Atmos setup, buy the additional speakers I need and a receiver that makes sense at that time. Not totally sure what makes the most sense.

To accomplish my short term goal, this would work, although I am not sure on the quality of AMP or DAC. The Denon AVR-S540BT is only 230 bucks on Amazon and checks the boxes I need a receiver to check as far as inputs, current 5.2 setup, and full 4k HDR and HDCP 2.2. My main question is the amp/dac quality.

Or, a AVR-X1600H looks somewhat compelling as well...

Last edited by goldfoxgt; 05-31-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page