JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 848Likes

post #2551 of 3085 Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I got my 520c today and it is so much better in every way than the anemic Polk S35 it replaced--and that's without even having it positioned correctly yet! (It doesn't fit in my current entertainment center so I just pulled it out of the box, sat it on the box down near the floor, switched the wire out of my Polk and into the 520c and fired up a few movies I'm very familiar with). Every single movie was an improvement, so I yanked that Polk out of my setup so f'ing quickly it didn't know what hit it. Even with the 520c positioned lower than where it should be (it's a good foot below my TV screen) it doesn't sound disconnected from the picture at all. The Polk--even though I had it directly below my TV--often felt disconnected from the image.

I'm also pleased to report the 520c isn't *quite* as ugly IRL as it is in pictures. When I first saw it online I said to myself, "There's no way I'm having that fugly thing in my setup" but then the reviews and people insisting it matches the 530s despite the difference in driver size convinced me to at least give it a try. Glad I did! I'm very happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
are you talking about the 530s?

im getting a couple pairs on monday. plan to take grills off and run audyssey. but they have horn covers?
all my speakers i take grills off. i think they sound better that way.
All the Studio 5 series. 590’s, 580’s, 520c, 530’s....have grills but like any you can remove them. Then also in the box are optional horn covers/protectors if you want to run them naked. They recommend you install them if you remove the grill. The speakers looks marvelous in this config. Port plugs too but to me those are worthless.
post #2553 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
I got my 520c today and it is so much better in every way than the anemic Polk S35 it replaced--and that's without even having it positioned correctly yet! (It doesn't fit in my current entertainment center so I just pulled it out of the box, sat it on the box down near the floor, switched the wire out of my Polk and into the 520c and fired up a few movies I'm very familiar with). Every single movie was an improvement, so I yanked that Polk out of my setup so f'ing quickly it didn't know what hit it. Even with the 520c positioned lower than where it should be (it's a good foot below my TV screen) it doesn't sound disconnected from the picture at all. The Polk--even though I had it directly below my TV--often felt disconnected from the image.

I'm also pleased to report the 520c isn't *quite* as ugly IRL as it is in pictures. When I first saw it online I said to myself, "There's no way I'm having that fugly thing in my setup" but then the reviews and people insisting it matches the 530s despite the difference in driver size convinced me to at least give it a try. Glad I did! I'm very happy with it.
Bi-radial horns provide beautiful clarity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
All the Studio 5 series. 590’s, 580’s, 520c, 530’s....have grills but like any you can remove them. Then also in the box are optional horn covers/protectors if you want to run them naked. They recommend you install them if you remove the grill. The speakers looks marvelous in this config. Port plugs too but to me those are worthless.

The horn moldings are not optional once you remove the grills. I wouldn’t even call them horn covers. They are part of the geometry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2555 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I did not see any horn covers in my 590 box. Did they miss shipping them? Can you show me how they look?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #2556 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question: Do you guys bi-wire your JBLs? Should I bother? Would I even be able to using only a Harman Kardon AVR1700 as my amp? (These are my first speakers that support bi-wiring so I'm new to the whole notion).

Thanks
post #2557 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Got my 530 speakers yesterday. Holy cow! I already owned five of the 590 towers, which I had in a 5.1 arrangement and loved. These 530 bookshelf speakers, used as surrounds, actually almost seem to sound BETTER with my 590 tower fronts than when I play matching 590 surrounds! That doesn't seem possible. But my son said the same thing without my even asking.

Note, however, that I had the 530's on stands pulled out from the wall. I'll bet the sound quality would be impacted negatively if I had them on or very near the walls. I keep my 590 towers closer to the walls because my wife would shoot me if I had those behemoths away from the walls all the time, and I don't want to move them all the time.

I use Audyssey XT32 on my Denon x3400h, and I use the Audyssey app to limit correction to just frequencies under 200 Hz. I have not rerun Audyssey since swapping 530 for the 590 surrounds. Luckily, the app saves each time you run Audyssey, so I can go back to my current room correction if it sounds worse when I rerun with the 530's in place. (No reason it should, but Audyssey can sometimes do weird things.)
JosephTonyStark likes this.
post #2558 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I did not see any horn covers in my 590 box. Did they miss shipping them? Can you show me how they look?

It looks like a triangular black plastic piece. You know how the top part of the grill covers the bottom section of the horn? That plastic piece takes its place, just to "fill out" the rest of the horn, if that makes sense.
post #2559 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Question: Do you guys bi-wire your JBLs? Should I bother? Would I even be able to using only a Harman Kardon AVR1700 as my amp? (These are my first speakers that support bi-wiring so I'm new to the whole notion).

Thanks
I tried it. Didn't notice any difference.
papatoony2 likes this.
post #2560 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
The horn moldings are not optional once you remove the grills. I wouldn’t even call them horn covers. They are part of the geometry.

That’s what I meant. And so sorry, if you read the manual, JBL refers to them as horn covers. So take that up with JBL.
Feisty today eh? I had invasive surgery yesterday, in a lot of pain, and mostly immobilized and I am in a better mood than you. JBL also refers to them as grilles. Top of the morning to ya.
post #2561 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
That’s what I meant. And so sorry, if you read the manual, JBL refers to them as horn covers. So take that up with JBL.
Feisty today eh? I had invasive surgery yesterday, in a lot of pain, and mostly immobilized and I am in a better mood than you. JBL also refers to them as grilles. Top of the morning to ya.
Reading back over the post you quoted, I don't think bommai intended a feisty tone with his post. He's always come off as a nice guy, at least in all the posts of his I've read.
post #2562 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtuary View Post
It looks like a triangular black plastic piece. You know how the top part of the grill covers the bottom section of the horn? That plastic piece takes its place, just to "fill out" the rest of the horn, if that makes sense.
I haven't really started using them yet. Are they inside the brown packages?

post #2563 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
any recommendation for short speaker stand? im using a 530 as a center, off the floor

im looking at something cheap like this

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16250

Last edited by mariogonzalezzz; 06-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #2564 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4618 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:

Thanks
Bi-wiring and bi-amping aren't really worth the added effort and expense. I wouldn't worry about it.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #2565 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your surgery. I did not mean to sound the way I did. I apologize. Just wanted to tell people it is not an optional piece if you are removing the grill.

I also had a traumatic 4 front tooth extraction done a month ago. Was in a lot of pain for 2 weeks. I totally understand. Nothing compared to your invasive surgery though.

post #2566 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I love my JBL 530s and really want to get the 590s at this sale price but I dont think those giants are going to work well in my small apartment. I've been going back and forth on this... Decisions decisions.
post #2567 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Sorry to hear about your surgery. I did not mean to sound the way I did. I apologize. Just wanted to tell people it is not an optional piece if you are removing the grill.
I understand but you are taking everything quite literal. Think of it this way.....The horn covers are an optional accessory. There is no requirement that you remove the grills. We’re splitting hairs so this is pointless.
post #2568 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 255
My 530s arrived today... I've read the reviews and seen the comments but had zero expectations since I already love my Revel M16s... I'm blindsided by how good these are. I hooked them up and flipped on the FM radio just to get some noise - 'Dream Weaver' just happened to be on and while this isn't a song I listen to often the bass riff in the chorus immediately popped out as something I've never heard before. So smooth and sitting slightly under the surface but still crystal clear.

Been running them through songs in 2-channel ever since and in my space my ears find them even a bit clearer and more detailed, even possibly a touch more forward, than my Revels. This is no way a knock on the M16s, which at this point I do think sound a bit 'bigger', but more a comment on just how outstanding I'm finding the 530s to be. One of my go-tos for imaging and clarity is Stonesour's live acoustic cover of Wicked Game and man, it's just fantastic. Small cymbal details I've never noticed, Corey Taylor just smack in the center... fantastic.

Lots more listening to do and I'm sure I'll find some nitpicks but as someone who picked these up with no expectations whatsoever I'm very, very impressed.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2569 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I haven't really started using them yet. Are they inside the brown packages?

Yep!
post #2570 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Avila View Post
I love my JBL 530s and really want to get the 590s at this sale price but I dont think those giants are going to work well in my small apartment. I've been going back and forth on this... Decisions decisions.
I'm shocked how good the 530's are. Do you have a sub with them? If so, you might not notice any difference vs the 590s. Or, like me, you might find the 530's to be better, especially in a small room.
post #2571 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4618 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Avila View Post
It depends on whether or not you plan to move anytime soon and can better accommodate the 590’s stature. You, obviously, won’t be able to turn the 590’s to 11 and get the most out of them where you are currently.

The Series 5 centers are their Achilles heel and it would take quite a bit to lay another 590 on its side as a center that can really do them justice, especially since the center speaker is still the most important speaker element in a home theater system.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-08-2019 at 04:50 PM.
post #2572 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
My 530s arrived today... I've read the reviews and seen the comments but had zero expectations since I already love my Revel M16s... I'm blindsided by how good these are. I hooked them up and flipped on the FM radio just to get some noise - 'Dream Weaver' just happened to be on and while this isn't a song I listen to often the bass riff in the chorus immediately popped out as something I've never heard before. So smooth and sitting slightly under the surface but still crystal clear.

Been running them through songs in 2-channel ever since and in my space my ears find them even a bit clearer and more detailed, even possibly a touch more forward, than my Revels. This is no way a knock on the M16s, which at this point I do think sound a bit 'bigger', but more a comment on just how outstanding I'm finding the 530s to be. One of my go-tos for imaging and clarity is Stonesour's live acoustic cover of Wicked Game and man, it's just fantastic. Small cymbal details I've never noticed, Corey Taylor just smack in the center... fantastic.

Lots more listening to do and I'm sure I'll find some nitpicks but as someone who picked these up with no expectations whatsoever I'm very, very impressed.
Your experience echos mine when comparing to more expensive speakers. The kicker is mine sounded even better to my ears after I played them over a period of a week or two. I used to think speaker break in was a myth, but I swear they improved.
KSpan and Lp85253 like this.
post #2573 of 3085 Old 06-08-2019, 05:07 PM

why dont they sell the 570s for people who think the 590s and 580s are too big for their room
papatoony2 likes this.
post #2574 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Finally I got JBL studio 530 I wanted to buy a long time ago, but after listening to the 530s for hours, I was a little disappointed

Here is my thought about 530s compared with Infinity reference 162.

Bass

Although 530s have 5.25 inches woofer, 530's bass is a little deeper and lower than 162s. but 530's bass is never too much.

Mid

i felt 530's mid is somewhat thin and veiled

Treble

530's high is very clear, but I feel like too bright and a little fatiguing to my ear.

I guess 530s seem to be more suitable for home theater than music.

For music, I think 162s are somewhat better than 530s because of 162's very detailed high (not fatiguing) and fuller, clear mid (to my taste)
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2575 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 54
My two pairs of 530s arrived yesterday! One pair will replace two 520c on back surround duty and my 7.2.4 setup can be complete now! Three 590s as the front, four 530s for surround. 2nd pair will be in my study for stereo music.

I did notice JBL change the packaging of 530s from cube to rectangular which is about 30% smaller.
I guess the old packaging is too much so JBL changed it and I think it's a sign that 530s is going to stay.

Now I need to sell the 520c.
Lp85253 likes this.

Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7700+5000
LCR JBL 590, Surround 530, Surround Back 520c, Atmos Arena B15
IB SBA setup with 4x18" IB3-V2 & NX3000D
Epson 5040ub, 133" 16:9 Milliskin
FS: Brand new never open JBL Studio 580 speaker pair
post #2576 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeans View Post
Finally I got JBL studio 530 I wanted to buy a long time ago, but after listening to the 530s for hours, I was a little disappointed

Here is my thought about 530s compared with Infinity reference 162.

Bass

Although 530s have 5.25 inches woofer, 530's bass is a little deeper and lower than 162s. but 530's bass is never too much.

Mid

i felt 530's mid is somewhat thin and veiled

Treble

530's high is very clear, but I feel like too bright and a little fatiguing to my ear.

I guess 530s seem to be more suitable for home theater than music.

For music, I think 162s are somewhat better than 530s because of 162's very detailed high (not fatiguing) and fuller, clear mid (to my taste)

I wonder if a week of break in will change your mind. Mine will be delivered tomorrow. The reason I ordered was because I already have three 590s for LCR. My living room small system has the Kef Q100s for the LCR. I love the Kef sound as well and when I tested the Kef in the theater room, they gave the 590s a run for their money at lower volumes. They just could not go louder because of their size.

While many people here love the studio 5, I agree that Kef and Infinity might be more agreeable for some. I am actually torn between the two. I was almost ready to sell my 590s and getting the Kef Q900s when they were on sale about 18 months ago but since I could not sell my 590s I kept them but since they grew to love them more. Speakers and our relationship to them are emotional and not just scientific

Lp85253 likes this.
post #2577 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 02:13 PM

can you lay a 530 on its side to use as center channel. im sure the tweeter isnt designed to be used that way
post #2578 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a 590 on its side and it sounds fine to me!

post #2579 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Studio 6 Series

Looks like The Studio 5 is out the door; in with the Studio 6

https://jp.jbl.com/on/demandware.sta...et_English.pdf

FYI Studio 5's have not been available in Japan fore a few months now; and some models of the Sudio 6 are already at retail here even thought they were announced for summer
zieglj01 likes this.
post #2580 of 3085 Old 06-09-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
Looks like The Studio 5 is out the door; in with the Studio 6

https://jp.jbl.com/on/demandware.sta...et_English.pdf

FYI Studio 5's have not been available in Japan fore a few months now; and some models of the Sudio 6 are already at retail here even thought they were announced for summer

Wow I did not see that coming!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page