JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 769Likes

post #2641 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4427 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
For a while I was using 580's/520c up front and 270's for rears and surrounds. You can mix and match with the Studio 2 line and it sounded great to me. The 580's would be killer for surrounds and rears but overkill if you have sub(s). If you want wall mount, Studio 210's. Bookshelf, 230's. Main thing with HT is to have matching LCR. Surrounds and rears you can mix and match at least imo. I only bought the 530's because of the killer price. I need to demo some more to see if it's an upgrade or downgrade compared to the 270's.

The closer the fronts and surrounds are in terms of tonality, the better. Especially when you're dealing with immersive surround. You get a much more coherent and seamless bubble of sound.

The JBL Control line of in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, the 328c without transformer especially work quite well if you don't want on-wall, bookshelf, or towers for the sides and rear.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
The closer the fronts and surrounds are in terms of tonality, the better. Especially when you're dealing with immersive surround. You get a much more coherent and seamless bubble of sound.

The JBL Control line of in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, the 328c without transformer especially work quite well if you don't want on-wall, bookshelf, or towers for the sides and rear.
Dan - the 580s as surrounds paired with my 590s in the front may be too big for my room. Are you sure I cannot just pick up one of those in wall speakers that JBL has?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
post #2643 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
I'm not even turning the 530s up that high before they annoy me, as they're being used in a bedroom. I tried cranking up the volume to see if I could get the tweeters to run away from the bass like Z said they would and I couldn't really find that point (it got so loud I just gave up...it's obviously at a volume way louder than I'd ever need the speakers to be at).

Anyway, I thought the solution for me was to turn the treble down a few notches but then I found that I have to turn it back up when I watch movies so that the dialogue is more audible. It's too much fussing with levels for me. I wish there was a way to turn the treble down only in the R & L speakers but keep it up in the center where it's needed and doesn't annoy me. I just unhooked the 530s and swapped my old R & L speakers back in. I'm keeping the 520c though. The 530s seemed to add more problems to my setup than they solved whereas the 520c is a net gain so it's staying. Funny because I almost didn't even order the 520c.
Firstly any speaker right out of the box is not going to sound its best. Both my experiment speakers, the Klipsch RP600M and the JBL 530s sounded like crap right out of the box. Some positioning adjustments and about 12 hours of break in time, they start to sound much better. They will continue to sound better for awhile during each session, so have patience.

If the harshness continues after 30 hours, it's most likely your amplification and signal chain. Transparent speakers tend to expose (stop masking) weaknesses in the chain, that harshness is probably coming from the combination of your DAC and amp. I'm running them with a high end R2R DAC and tube integrated amp, and after 10 hours of run in, there is no harshness at all, only very fast and airy treble. It's not as fast, sharp and sparkling as the Klipsch RP-600m I've tried, but it's more tonally correct and better instrument separation.

It's also very possible that your room acoustics and speaker positioning is nullifying the bass, therefore making a set of bass shy bookshelves even more top heavy.
papatoony2 likes this.

Last edited by divertiti; 06-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Does anyone have any experience or know any literature regarding the sound quality difference between grill on vs. grill off for this series? Did a quick search and no answers. Thanks.
post #2645 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Dan - the 580s as surrounds paired with my 590s in the front may be too big for my room. Are you sure I cannot just pick up one of those in wall speakers that JBL has?

If you are speaking of the JBL Control 328C in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, then yes they would work great and are similar in price to the 580's on sale. This is what ack_bk uses too. The 328C's are the installation version of JBL's professional 8" coaxial cinema surrounds and have plenty of output capability and sound very similar. They throw a very wide sound field, which is perfect for Dolby Atmos.

https://www.markertek.com/product/jb...saAhjfEALw_wcB

You either need the additional MTC-300BB8 backer boxes from JBL or build your own MDF backer boxes with an internal volume of .71 cubic feet and some cotton acoustic batting material lining the interior. It might be easier to just buy them pre-built.

https://www.markertek.com/product/jb...s-8-in-drivers

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-12-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #2646 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
Pictures

They are also on the Japan JBL consumer site
Thank you for sharing this, however I am SO very glad I have Studio 5's...the 6's have a very uninspired design. I'm sure they will fit in with a lot of room decor as the 5's are either loathed or loved for their aesthetics, but short of their JBL emblem stamped on the grille (if they even come with one), I wouldn't be able to differentiate those from several other brands. The 5's are almost immediately recognizable, which I love.

Got my 530's up yesterday as heights, but still fiddling around with wire concealment. There's one pair up front and another pair in back. My AVR isn't Auro 3D compatible, but I'd be very interested in trying their demo disc anyway. I still have to wall-mount the TV, then I have a 3rd 590 that will lay underneath it as the center.

TommyDeVito and skypop like this.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
335 UHD and counting...
post #2647 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaurhead View Post
Thank you for sharing this, however I am SO very glad I have Studio 5's...the 6's have a very uninspired design. I'm sure they will fit in with a lot of room decor as the 5's are either loathed or loved for their aesthetics, but short of their JBL emblem stamped on the grille (if they even come with one), I wouldn't be able to differentiate those from several other brands. The 5's are almost immediately recognizable, which I love.

Got my 530's up yesterday as heights, but still fiddling around with wire concealment. There's one pair up front and another pair in back. My AVR isn't Auro 3D compatible, but I'd be very interested in trying their demo disc anyway. I still have to wall-mount the TV, then I have a 3rd 590 that will lay underneath it as the center.

Spoiler!

Which wall mounts are you using for the 530's?

Also, if you get a chance to rearrange some things in your room, I would spread out the left and right speakers as they're so awfully close together for proper stereo separation.

Auro3D isn't worth it. There's very, very little content.

post #2648 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
The 530s are the only ones I own and I've only had them a short while but they're much more striking and elegant in person than I thought they'd be. Their aesthetic actually matches quite well with my Emotiva C2 center, an observation first made by my wife.
post #2649 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Which wall mounts are you using for the 530's?

Also, if you get a chance to rearrange some things in your room, I would spread out the left and right speakers as they're so awfully close together for proper stereo separation.

Auro3D isn't worth it. There's very, very little content.
Attached a pic. Bought them here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GUITK24 and put one screw into the bottom of each speaker to keep them anchored to the mount since I have them all tilted forward slightly.

The L/R towers are pretty much stuck there for now. I have two PSA subs - an S3000 and S3600 - one on either side of the towers. Along the left wall is a sofa, along the right wall is the AV closet and then the movie rack, and then in the rear corners of the room are two doors - one leads out of the room and the other goes to a closet that is still in use daily. So, the subs can't move from where they're at, which means the towers can't go anywhere.

I have them toed in slightly which is giving me a great phantom center effect for movies, and that's all I'm really concerned with. We don't listen to 2ch music hardly, if ever. Once the TV is mounted, I will run Audyssey and I'm sure it will all sound fine enough for my amateur ears
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2579176  

335 UHD and counting...
post #2650 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
My dream in-ceiling speaker for my Studio 5 HT....
Dan Hitchman likes this.

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
post #2651 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3069 Post(s)
Liked: 3689
Quote:
Originally Posted by divertiti View Post
If the harshness continues after 30 hours, it's most likely your amplification and signal chain.
Compression drivers don't break in. I personally don't subscribe to speaker "break-in" but if I would concur that a driver's suspension could loosen up during playback. I don't think that process is audible but there are people firmly rooted in both camps. However, compression drivers don't have any suspension to "break-in" so the point is mute. The compression driver has a fixed diaphragm. If one hears harshness alleviated from a compression driver, it is the undoubtedly the ears breaking in not the driver. Not trying to be combative, but some people just don't like compression drivers vs soft /hard dome tweeters. No harm, no foul. I am a compression driver fan, but they do have a distinct sound. The only compression driver speaker that didn't sound like a "compression driver" that I have heard is the JBL M2. The rest have "that sound". I like "that sound" but some people just dont like it or learn to like it over time.
JosephTonyStark likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 06-12-2019 at 09:19 PM.
post #2652 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Sorry to say this, but it's time to upgrade your receiver.
Do you know of any receivers that don't heat up the room they're in? If not, I'm gonna ride this HK out! I didn't know when I bought it that it ran cool, it was just kind of an added perk that I didn't know I wanted or needed but now that I've had it I don't want to go back to owning a hot receiver. Also it sounds beautiful so I put up with its quirks and shortcomings. When the PS5 comes out I'll likely be forced to upgrade though because this thing can't do 4K.
post #2653 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Do you know of any receivers that don't heat up the room they're in? If not, I'm gonna ride this HK out! I didn't know when I bought it that it ran cool, it was just kind of an added perk that I didn't know I wanted or needed but now that I've had it I don't want to go back to owning a hot receiver. Also it sounds beautiful so I put up with its quirks and shortcomings. When the PS5 comes out I'll likely be forced to upgrade though because this thing can't do 4K.

The Denon 6500 seems to be getting great reviews. Wait a little bit for the price to come down a smidgen.
papatoony2 likes this.

post #2654 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Any pioneer class D receiver, but then again my Denon 4300h doesn't get hot at all. Then again it depends on the size of your room and what temperature you consider hot.

This ones Class D and looks to be on sale.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...saAi3aEALw_wcB
papatoony2 likes this.
post #2655 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post
Any pioneer class D receiver, but then again my Denon 4300h doesn't get hot at all. Then again it depends on the size of your room and what temperature you consider hot.

This ones Class D and looks to be on sale.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...saAi3aEALw_wcB

I, personally, would never consider a receiver that didn't have a full range of pre-amp outputs. If I wanted to add an external power amp to relieve some of the "pressure" on the built-in section, I wouldn't be able to.

post #2656 of 2796 Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I think I might just give the SP8II a shot for the rear and surrounds and the SP8CII a shot for the 4 Atmos speakers. They seem to get good ratings and for $320 shipped for all 8 speakers do I really have anything to lose?
TommyDeVito likes this.
post #2657 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1456
Quote:
If you are speaking of the JBL Control 328C in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, then yes they would work great and are similar in price to the 580's on sale. This is what ack_bk uses too. The 328C's are the installation version of JBL's professional 8" coaxial cinema surrounds and have plenty of output capability and sound very similar. They throw a very wide sound field, which is perfect for Dolby Atmos.

https://www.markertek.com/product/jb...saAhjfEALw_wcB

You either need the additional MTC-300BB8 backer boxes from JBL or build your own MDF backer boxes with an internal volume of .71 cubic feet and some cotton acoustic batting material lining the interior. It might be easier to just buy them pre-built.

https://www.markertek.com/product/jb...s-8-in-drivers
Dan is giving you some great advice, I am using these speakers in my setup (I built backer boxes out of MDF). They really work great and have excellent imaging and dispersion which is what you want with Atmos or surround channels.. I am also using some RSL inceiling speakers and those seem to play just fine with the JBL 590's . I think the Controls are a better fit, but these speakers are pretty big and bulky and the RSL's are much narrower and easy to install.

I bought my JBL Controls off Ebay (brand new) and the price was very resonable.
post #2658 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Compression drivers don't break in. I personally don't subscribe to speaker "break-in" but if I would concur that a driver's suspension could loosen up during playback. I don't think that process is audible but there are people firmly rooted in both camps. However, compression drivers don't have any suspension to "break-in" so the point is mute. The compression driver has a fixed diaphragm. If one hears harshness alleviated from a compression driver, it is the undoubtedly the ears breaking in not the driver. Not trying to be combative, but some people just don't like compression drivers vs soft /hard dome tweeters. No harm, no foul. I am a compression driver fan, but they do have a distinct sound. The only compression driver speaker that didn't sound like a "compression driver" that I have heard is the JBL M2. The rest have "that sound". I like "that sound" but some people just dont like it or learn to like it over time.
There are a lot of other things other than surrounds that would break-in. Even on the compression driver, the diaphragm will adapt to use. More importantly the crossover components such as capacitors will break-in, stabilize and settle to their final operating states. Of course there is the woofers that would break in and change the balance of the sound top to bottom. Many users have experienced this break-in, and JBL themselves told me on the phone that there is a break-in period (probably not as long as what other people claim).

I don't doubt there is an element of ears breaking in, but people have put a broken in set of speakers and another brand new set side by side and they sound different.
post #2659 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 23
i dont know man but after a couple days with my 530s they are sounding better and better.
should have ordered 2 more pairs.
thinking about getting the 580s on sale now
Lp85253 likes this.

Last edited by mariogonzalezzz; 06-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #2660 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
i dont know man but after a week with my 530s they are sounding better and better.
should have ordered 2 more pairs.
thinking about getting the 580s on sale now
When were your 530's delivered? Your classifieds listing was posted as being NIB and available 6/11. Not trying to bust your b*lls, just genuinely curious.

335 UHD and counting...
post #2661 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
When were your 530's delivered? Your classifieds listing was posted as being NIB and available 6/11. Not trying to bust your b*lls, just genuinely curious.
i thought i deleted that listing. dont see it do you have a link?

i bought 2 pairs 530s and received them on the 11th. strangely feels like ive had them for a week
i planned on selling one pair but changed my mind after hearing them for a couple days.
now im contemplating getting the 580s and replacing current living room speakers and wait for the 520c to go on sale again for $150. which i also received a few days ago. using it with one pair 530s in bedroom.
VERY happy with this studio 5 series especially at these prices. i dont see myself upgrading again
zieglj01 and Lp85253 like this.

Last edited by mariogonzalezzz; 06-13-2019 at 07:24 PM.
post #2662 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ran the idea of buying the 580s as rears by the wife and was immediately shot down.

scottiemon likes this.
post #2663 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Ran the idea of buying the 580s as rears by the wife and was immediately shot down.

Had I asked if I could get the 530s, the same thing would have happened. I went the ask for forgiveness approach
JosephTonyStark likes this.

My humble little 3.1 system:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers and a 520C center
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #2664 of 2796 Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
i thought i deleted that listing. dont see it do you have a link?

i bought 2 pairs 530s and received them on the 11th. strangely feels like ive had them for a week
i planned on selling one pair but changed my mind after hearing them for a couple days.
now im contemplating getting the 580s and replacing current living room speakers and wait for the 520c to go on sale again for $150. which i also received a few days ago. using it with one pair 530s in bedroom.
VERY happy with this studio 5 series especially at these prices. i dont see myself upgrading again
I surf the classifieds often looking for more things I can't afford The thread is deleted, I saw it a couple days ago. It's amazing how fast time flies when you're having fun - I truly mean that! I've only had mine up a couple of days as well - the presence they give to movies and video games as heights is amazing.

335 UHD and counting...

Last edited by Jaurhead; 06-13-2019 at 11:55 PM.
post #2665 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I still don’t know why some spouses interfere. I don’t interfere with her stuff and she does not interfere in my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
genesplitter likes this.
post #2666 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I still don’t know why some spouses interfere. I don’t interfere with her stuff and she does not interfere in my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's the way it should be. If you let your wife control you, or you control her then your not really a match and your forcing the connection and shouldn't really be married anyways. Marriage is supposed to work all by its self and if someone in that marriage is a control freak then your not really meant for each other. (Unless this is some kind of fetish of yours then your a match made in heaven LOL)

I've been with my wife for 13 years, we shared money the entire time and we never once control each other purchases and we never will, even car purchases. I always support what ever she wants and she does the same with me., Marriage is a mutual agreement, not one sided.
tinman143 likes this.
post #2667 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM

I think it depends on where we are talking about installing big, bulky speakers. When it comes to the main living room? Yeah my wife is gonna have a say and does the decorating. In my dedicated theater room she told me it was my room to do what I want.

When I first told her I was planning on painting the ceiling and about half the walls flat black she thought I was nuts. But she told me it was my room. After I finished the room she absolutely loved it and enjoys the room as much as I do.

But if I told her I was going to paint the living room with a flat black paint? Pretty sure I would be sleeping on the couch for a long time.
post #2668 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have been looking at getting some in ceiling speakers for atmos to go with my 590 setup and saw jbl put the sp8cII on sale for 80 bucks a pair. Would these be a good match for atmos speakers with the studio 5 series? Or should I get the studio 2 8IC speaker. I was looking at the rsl in ceiling speakers as well since they get great reviews.
post #2669 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctripp2448 View Post
I have been looking at getting some in ceiling speakers for atmos to go with my 590 setup and saw jbl put the sp8cII on sale for 80 bucks a pair. Would these be a good match for atmos speakers with the studio 5 series? Or should I get the studio 2 8IC speaker. I was looking at the rsl in ceiling speakers as well since they get great reviews.
All of those will work for Atmos. The advantage of the RSL's are the angled woofer/tweeter. But I believe all offer good sound dispersion which is important for Atmos. If you can make them work look into the JBL Control 226/227 speakers as they use a compression driver (like the Studio 5 series) and have very wide dispersion. They cost more and are a little bigger/bulkier but are a great option. Ebay might save you some money
ctripp2448 likes this.
post #2670 of 2796 Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
All of those will work for Atmos. The advantage of the RSL's are the angled woofer/tweeter. But I believe all offer good sound dispersion which is important for Atmos. If you can make them work look into the JBL Control 226/227 speakers as they use a compression driver (like the Studio 5 series) and have very wide dispersion. They cost more and are a little bigger/bulkier but are a great option. Ebay might save you some money
I will check those out. Thank you very much for the recommendation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page