JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 849Likes

post #2671 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post
That's the way it should be. If you let your wife control you, or you control her then your not really a match and your forcing the connection and shouldn't really be married anyways. Marriage is supposed to work all by its self and if someone in that marriage is a control freak then your not really meant for each other. (Unless this is some kind of fetish of yours then your a match made in heaven LOL)

I've been with my wife for 13 years, we shared money the entire time and we never once control each other purchases and we never will, even car purchases. I always support what ever she wants and she does the same with me., Marriage is a mutual agreement, not one sided.
Yes get divorced due to speaker placement.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I think it depends on where we are talking about installing big, bulky speakers. When it comes to the main living room? Yeah my wife is gonna have a say and does the decorating. In my dedicated theater room she told me it was my room to do what I want.

When I first told her I was planning on painting the ceiling and about half the walls flat black she thought I was nuts. But she told me it was my room. After I finished the room she absolutely loved it and enjoys the room as much as I do.

But if I told her I was going to paint the living room with a flat black paint? Pretty sure I would be sleeping on the couch for a long time.
Yes I agree. Only issue is that the room is small and I would already have three 590s in the front. Adding another two 580s in the back would be very bulky isn't it?

post #2673 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Folks - has anyone done three 590s in the front and two 580s in the rear for a 15 by 13 feet room or is it an overkill?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Folks - has anyone done three 590s in the front and two 580s in the rear for a 15 by 13 feet room or is it an overkill?

Is it necessary? No. Will it work and sound great? Absolutely. If you have the money and space, go for it.
post #2675 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Is it necessary? No. Will it work and sound great? Absolutely. If you have the money and space, go for it.
Yes that's why I am asking. The space is constrained isn't it?

post #2676 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Yes that's why I am asking. The space is constrained isn't it?

That's not a huge room, no - thus my comment about it being 'unnecessary'. Only you can make the call on if you want to use your space in that manner vs, say, wall-mounted speakers or something similar.
post #2677 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Yes get divorced due to speaker placement.

That is not what I said. I was refering to the issue of controlling one another. If you or your spouse controls what you buy, who you hangout with, talk to, can be friends with, vote for, eat, ect... then your not meant for each other and someone is just settling and thinking the other will change over time (which is highly unlikely) and your actually better off as friends. Marriage is a partnership based on love, trust, and independence and without that your marriage will likely end up in divorce in the end if someone is settling. Early indicators of marital problems almost always expose its self if your sex life has dropped to once a month (or longer) then that's a red flag that the small issues (like controlling one other, or other dislikes) has taken its toll and started to eat away at the cstrong connection you once had in the beginning before someone gives up and moves on.
post #2678 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post
That is not what I said. I was refering to the issue of controlling one another. If you or your spouse controls what you buy, who you hangout with, talk to, can be friends with, vote for, eat, ect... then your not meant for each other and someone is just settling and thinking the other will change over time (which is highly unlikely) and your actually better off as friends. Marriage is a partnership based on love, trust, and independence and without that your marriage will likely end up in divorce in the end if someone is settling. Early indicators of marital problems almost always expose its self if your sex life has dropped to once a month (or longer) then that's a red flag that the small issues (like controlling one other, or other dislikes) has taken its toll and started to eat away at the cstrong connection you once had in the beginning before someone gives up and moves on.
This is an absolutely ridiculous post which I will not engage. You seem to be drawing too many inferences perhaps based on deficiencies you currently are having. Good luck with that.

Last edited by genaccmiller; 06-14-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #2679 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 3787 Post(s)
Liked: 3001
There are several good marriage counseling forums on the web where anyone looking for advice on that subject can find it. Meanwhile, back in the Speakers forum …
Eggtuary and scottiemon like this.
post #2680 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Okay so I spent the day trying to get reacquainted with the 530s after initially giving up on them because they were ever so slightly annoying my ears. I honestly missed their amazing clarity so I thought I'd give them a second chance. I moved them closer in (right beside my TV instead of a few feet off to each side), pointed them more forward and raised them up a few inches so that my ears are no longer aligned with the tweeters. And now suddenly they don't annoy me!

The only issue I'm having now is getting my subwoofer balanced with them. Music was initially too bass-heavy so I turned my sub down a bit and got it to where everything sounded great. Unfortunately (for reasons I cannot figure out) when I play PS4, the bass is too low. Explosions have no punch to them like they did before. Sure I could get down on my knees and adjust my sub back up to where it was initially, but then when I go back to listen to music it's too bass-heavy again. I can't seem to troubleshoot why this is. With my old speaker setup (using the same sub), I could just set my sub at approximately 50% and it was the perfect amount of bass across all inputs/sources. But suddenly I hook up the 530's and I have to choose between too bass-heavy music or gaming with not enough bass. I tried fiddling with the bass settings within my AVR but they don't seem to make much difference at all. If I can just get this ONE issue resolved I'm going to be happy as a pig in ***** with these JBLs.
post #2681 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
Okay so I spent the day trying to get reacquainted with the 530s after initially giving up on them because they were ever so slightly annoying my ears. I honestly missed their amazing clarity so I thought I'd give them a second chance. I moved them closer in (right beside my TV instead of a few feet off to each side), pointed them more forward and raised them up a few inches so that my ears are no longer aligned with the tweeters. And now suddenly they don't annoy me!

The only issue I'm having now is getting my subwoofer balanced with them. Music was initially too bass-heavy so I turned my sub down a bit and got it to where everything sounded great. Unfortunately (for reasons I cannot figure out) when I play PS4, the bass is too low. Explosions have no punch to them like they did before. Sure I could get down on my knees and adjust my sub back up to where it was initially, but then when I go back to listen to music it's too bass-heavy again. I can't seem to troubleshoot why this is. With my old speaker setup (using the same sub), I could just set my sub at approximately 50% and it was the perfect amount of bass across all inputs/sources. But suddenly I hook up the 530's and I have to choose between too bass-heavy music or gaming with not enough bass. I tried fiddling with the bass settings within my AVR but they don't seem to make much difference at all. If I can just get this ONE issue resolved I'm going to be happy as a pig in ***** with these JBLs.

you said previously your avr is an older version. i would just buy a denon with audyssey room correction. im sure your problem would be solved.
post #2682 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM

i called jbl today again. rep said the 530s would be back in stock in 2 or 3 months at $599
but i also did online chat and the rep said they were discontinued since 2011
maybe theyll be back at $300 price, who knows
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2683 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
i called jbl today again. rep said the 530s would be back in stock in 2 or 3 months at $599
but i also did online chat and the rep said they were discontinued since 2011
maybe theyll be back at $300 price, who knows
they *will* be back on sale again at some point soon.. i am confident enough to wager the sale price...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #2684 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
they *will* be back on sale again at some point soon.. i am confident enough to wager the sale price...

i wont bother waiting. have two new pair 530s and liking them so much im thinking about the 580s on sale.

i can get a pair for $572 shipped
since the 580s have same tweeter as the 530s they will sound the same except more bass in direct mode listening to music, correct?
for movies i cross speakers at 80 on my denon. am using 520c with 530s in my bedroom currently.
only a couple days left on the sale.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2685 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
i wont bother waiting. have two new pair 530s and liking them so much im thinking about the 580s on sale.

i can get a pair for $572 shipped
since the 580s have same tweeter as the 530s they will sound the same except more bass in direct mode listening to music, correct?
for movies i cross speakers at 80 on my denon. am using 520c with 530s in my bedroom currently.
only a couple days left on the sale.
I used to own a pair of the 580s. And I recently bought the 530's. Both sounded a lot like the 590s, which I've owned a couple of years now. I think you've described well the difference between the 530s and 580s. Cross them over at about 80 Hz with a good sub, and you'll not hear a ton of difference.

But, yes, in direct mode, there is more low bass as you move up from the 530 to the 580 to the 590.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #2686 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished setting up a 4.1 configuration with a Denon 4400h AvR, left and right JBL 590s, surround left and surround right Martin Logan 2 and a Martin Logan 2 sub. I just finished running audyssey as well. I am connected to Amazon prime and multi channel stereo mode on my receiver. Even at 60 volume, the sound is underwhelming. Music sounds good when played via Bluetooth. I need to check how music plays from the tv. What am I doing wrong?

post #2687 of 3086 Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just finished setting up a 4.1 configuration with a Denon 4400h AvR, left and right JBL 590s, surround left and surround right Martin Logan 2 and a Martin Logan 2 sub. I just finished running audyssey as well. I am connected to Amazon prime and multi channel stereo mode on my receiver. Even at 60 volume, the sound is underwhelming. Music sounds good when played via Bluetooth. I need to check how music plays from the tv. What am I doing wrong?

I think i may need to take back what I said. I played some Amazon music high quality music and the sound effects blew me away. Perhaps it's not configured correctly yet for normal tv from Amazon prime.

Lp85253 likes this.
post #2688 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Maybe try a different DAC?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...for-dacs.4814/

Denons all sit low on a list of tested devices-even the $5000 ones. Good for home theater, bad for music.

IMO the compression drivers give what they get.

I just hooked a cheap $100 DAC to my onkyo receiver and the sound is much clearer and the noise floor soo much better. The khadas tone board can be found on amazon. A phone, raspberry pi, laptop, whatever has usb can be hooked up to the tone board and it has analog rca out. I am using a pi 3 b+ and volumio hook via usb.

How far are you from the wall?

Last edited by jbl_lvr; 06-15-2019 at 06:07 AM.
post #2689 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Liked: 2702
Quote:
I think i may need to take back what I said. I played some Amazon music high quality music and the sound effects blew me away. Perhaps it's not configured correctly yet for normal tv from Amazon prime.

Underwhelming... how? Low amount of bass? Muddled highs? Etc.?

And how are your TV, receiver, and other sources hooked up? Cables, settings, etc.? Speaker/sub locations in the room? Pictures?

You need to be specific in your descriptions, so we can better assist. The Martin Logan 2 sub is definitely going to be an Achilles heel in the system.

Also, if your source is only streaming, you're not using really high quality audio in many instances anyway. It's lossy compressed and sometimes dynamically compressed as well. As I mentioned before, you need to get a UHD Blu-ray player and start using discs more, including discs for music.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-15-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #2690 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Underwhelming... how? Low amount of bass? Muddled highs? Etc.?

And how are your TV, receiver, and other sources hooked up? Cables, settings, etc.? Speaker/sub locations in the room? Pictures?

You need to be specific in your descriptions, so we can better assist. The Martin Logan 2 sub is definitely going to be an Achilles heel in the system.

Also, if your source is only streaming, you're not using really high quality audio in many instances anyway. It's lossy compressed and sometimes dynamically compressed as well. As I mentioned before, you need to get a UHD Blu-ray player and start using discs more, including discs for music.
Hi Dan - as I said music sounds good now that I played via Bluetooth and Amazon music. I have attached some pics. I don't have cable. I have just made a 4.1 connection.

Lp85253 likes this.
post #2691 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Hi Dan - as I said music sounds good now that I played via Bluetooth and Amazon music. I have attached some pics. I don't have cable. I have just made a 4.1 connection.

Front Left/Right should be set to SMALL.
Front Left/Right Cross-over at... probably... 60 Hz

Subwoofer Mode: LFE (not LFE+Main as that duplicates bass)

LPF for LFE: 120 Hz.

Turn off Dynamic Volume in the Audyssey settings.

Are you running an HDMI cable from the ARC HDMI output port on the TV to the ARC HDMI input on your Denon? Or are you using an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for streaming?

You're going to get much better surround and bass action once you replace and upgrade your surrounds and subwoofer.

I would consider getting a couple heavy duty center speaker stands or some other platform and use one of your 590's horizontally as a center for now in your temp setup. You have enough room between the left and right. If the stands are high enough, you won't have to worry about kids kicking it.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-15-2019 at 07:03 AM.
post #2692 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you running an HDMI cable from the ARC HDMI output port on the TV to the ARC HDMI input on your Denon? Or are you using an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for streaming?

You're going to get much better surround and bass action once you replace and upgrade your surrounds and subwoofer.
Hi Dan - I will tweak these settings as you mentioned. I have dynamic EQ on too. Should I turn that off? The connection from TV to receiver is ARC.

post #2693 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Hi Dan - I will tweak these settings as you mentioned. I have dynamic EQ on too. Should I turn that off? The connection from TV to receiver is ARC.

Dynamic EQ should be fine. Dynamic Volume tends to squash dynamics.

How is your current Blu-ray player set-up?

I also edited my above post.

post #2694 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dynamic EQ should be fine. Dynamic Volume tends to squash dynamics.

How is your current Blu-ray player set-up?

I also edited my above post.
Have not connected it yet. I just wanted to get the sound coming through yesterday. I am assuming since blueray is connected to tv and tv connects to avr I don't need to make any changes.

post #2695 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Have not connected it yet. I just wanted to get the sound coming through yesterday. I am assuming since blueray is connected to tv and tv connects to avr I don't need to make any changes.

Blu-ray to receiver. Receiver to TV. HDMI connections, of course.

HDMI Audio Bitstream

Secondary Audio Off (terminology depends on the player manufacturer - Sony calls it BD Audio Mix, which should be bitstream or Off).

Dynamic Range Control Off

PCM Down-conversion Off

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-15-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #2696 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would consider getting a couple heavy duty center speaker stands or some other platform and use one of your 590's horizontally as a center for now in your temp setup. You have enough room between the left and right. If the stands are high enough, you won't have to worry about kids kicking it.
I have added the Martin Logan 2 as a center too since the space does not accommodate the three 590s. I will cycle in the left or right 590 with the one more I have inside at regular intervals to ensure all are working. I am playing music on the multi channel stereo mode since I want to check that my Denon 4400h is able to send music to the back speakers. In the meanwhile I have a few questions.

1. The avr is fairly hot. Is that normal?
2. Are the attached settings ok? Is there any tweaking I need to do?
3. What is the reason for tweaking the dbs on each speaker in the attached. I ran audyssey and it had different dbs for the front left and front right and rear left and read right. I made the front left and right equal and rear left and right equal.

post #2697 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I have added the Martin Logan 2 as a center too since the space does not accommodate the three 590s. I will cycle in the left or right 590 with the one more I have inside at regular intervals to ensure all are working. I am playing music on the multi channel stereo mode since I want to check that my Denon 4400h is able to send music to the back speakers. In the meanwhile I have a few questions.

1. The avr is fairly hot. Is that normal?
2. Are the attached settings ok? Is there any tweaking I need to do?
3. What is the reason for tweaking the dbs on each speaker in the attached. I ran audyssey and it had different dbs for the front left and front right and rear left and read right. I made the front left and right equal and rear left and right equal.

It's looking better! I would definitely take a peek at the Audyssey thread for tips on the best ways to use the calibration microphone. It can be finicky and so users have come up with best practices for getting the most solid results from auto calibration.

Be sure to check the e-mails I sent after my texting software had trouble sending further correspondence.

post #2698 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's looking better! I would definitely take a peek at the Audyssey thread for tips on the best ways to use the calibration microphone. It can be finicky and so users have come up with best practices for getting the most solid results from auto calibration.

Be sure to check the e-mails I sent after my texting software had trouble sending further correspondence.
Sure. Will do.

post #2699 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Sure. Will do.

buy this for your denon heat problems.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-M...gateway&sr=8-6

i keep it at low and the denon is cool to the touch no matter how many hours i use it throughout the day.
post #2700 of 3086 Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
buy this for your denon heat problems.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-M...gateway&sr=8-6

i keep it at low and the denon is cool to the touch no matter how many hours i use it throughout the day.
Is it supposed to heat up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page