JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 818Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2731 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
The other reality is the 6 series speakers will likely integrate very well with the 5 series and with more bookshelf options, people may just choose to go that route.

And a fairly "beefy" on-wall surround this time too.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2732 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Eggtuary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Did you perform a new complete speaker calibration. Each time you switched speakers from the 530 to the 590?.
I did not. But I also limit Audyssey XT32 room correction to under 200 Hz. And with those 530s crossed over at 80Hz, there's not a ton of the frequency spectrum that would get EQ'ed by it. But your point is still valid: to properly compare, I need to do the same calibration on them. It might also be interesting to try allowing Audyssey to fully calibrate, rather than limiting to under 200 Hz, especially if I'm mixing speakers.
Eggtuary is online now  
post #2733 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Eggtuary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I am not following. Are you saying you used 590s as surrounds?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I know, it seems pretty crazy (and it's amazing that my wife allowed it.) I decided to give it a try after reading people here talking about the upgrade one gets from matching towers all the way around. Man, in 5.1 multichannel stereo mode, music is insanely good.
Eggtuary is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2734 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtuary View Post
I know, it seems pretty crazy (and it's amazing that my wife allowed it.) I decided to give it a try after reading people here talking about the upgrade one gets from matching towers all the way around. Man, in 5.1 multichannel stereo mode, music is insanely good.
Yes, both music and movies with matching towers all the way around. Are truly unbelievable and once you experience that you will be permanently jaw dropped.

When I listen to music or movies with matching towers in 7.2.4 I am just amazed at how good it sounds. Best bang for the buck I ever $pent.

IMHO for ME, towers are easier to position and reposition if you change your room layout. I think they [email protected]@k nice and blend well into the environment.
DekPM19 likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #2735 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post
This is true, and depending on the person they can decide to either mix the series or buy used if your the type of person who hates miss matching your audio (audiophiles tend to be this way). I wouldnt mine the studio 610's though, those look perfect to use as heights.







True, but this guy probably did what I did any everyone else and got $50 off two sets and if i was planning to sell the other set Id never sell for less than 600, and keep them as a computer setup because at $250 these 530s price was so good i felt like I stole them from JBL. If i can get a set of 610's I'll throw use my other set of 530s to my computer.


I’m kicking myself in the nuts for not buying a 2nd pair when I had the chance at this offer smh.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinman143 is online now  
post #2736 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What should I be setting my crossover to on 590s if I have a puny Klipsch R10SW sub, no center, and cheap Klipsch rear speakers? (trying to save for VTF-3 MK5). I feel like I'm hearing the sub pop at times or just provide really poor response and not sure if it's due to sending wrong frequencies, gain too high (12 o'clock), if the sub just sucks that bad, or other reasons.

The R10SW has a frequency range of 32hz to 120hz if I'm reading correctly.

Edit: I have tried just removing the sub entirely since the 590s go down to 35hz but they don't come close to the added deep sound that the sub provides, especially at lower volumes.

Last edited by Majicpanda; 06-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Majicpanda is offline  
post #2737 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
What should I be setting my crossover to on 590s if I have a puny Klipsch R10SW sub, no center, and cheap Klipsch rear speakers? (trying to save for VTF-3 MK5). I feel like I'm hearing the sub pop at times or just provide really poor response and not sure if it's due to sending wrong frequencies, gain too high (12 o'clock), if the sub just sucks that bad, or other reasons.

The R10SW has a frequency range of 32hz to 120hz if I'm reading correctly.

Edit: I have tried just removing the sub entirely since the 590s go down to 35hz but they don't come close to the added deep sound that the sub provides, especially at lower volumes.
I would target 60-80hz range. It just comes down to your sub. Maybe start at 60hz and go from there.
ack_bk is offline  
post #2738 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Eggtuary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
What should I be setting my crossover to on 590s if I have a puny Klipsch R10SW sub, no center, and cheap Klipsch rear speakers? (trying to save for VTF-3 MK5). I feel like I'm hearing the sub pop at times or just provide really poor response and not sure if it's due to sending wrong frequencies, gain too high (12 o'clock), if the sub just sucks that bad, or other reasons.

The R10SW has a frequency range of 32hz to 120hz if I'm reading correctly.

Edit: I have tried just removing the sub entirely since the 590s go down to 35hz but they don't come close to the added deep sound that the sub provides, especially at lower volumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I would target 60-80hz range. It just comes down to your sub. Maybe start at 60hz and go from there.
I have my 590 towers crossed at 60 Hz, as well. You should probably cross your cheap rear speakers at something higher, like 80 Hz or even 100 Hz, if your receiver will let you do different crossovers for different sets of speakers.


Glad to hear you're saving up for a better sub, as that may be the biggest limitation in your current system. I hear great things about that HSU, but have you thought about considering other companies' Black Friday sales? SVS often has good prices out of their outlet, some of which have no defects. Outlaw has some nice subs that go for competitive prices during sales. Both of mine are Outlaw Ultra-X12. They look like coffee tables, which was a real plus for WAF.
Eggtuary is online now  
post #2739 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Yes, both music and movies with matching towers all the way around. Are truly unbelievable and once you experience that you will be permanently jaw dropped.

When I listen to music or movies with matching towers in 7.2.4 I am just amazed at how good it sounds. Best bang for the buck I ever $pent.

IMHO for ME, towers are easier to position and reposition if you change your room layout. I think they [email protected]@k nice and blend well into the environment.
Totally agreed I use 590's in all 7 of my speaker positions, all crossed over at 60Hz. People love to say how its a waste, but those are usually people that have never heard full range speakers in all of the positions. If I ever change my speakers to another brand it would have to be full range in all positions.
Molon_Labe likes this.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #2740 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3208 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
Totally agreed I use 590's in all 7 of my speaker positions, all crossed over at 60Hz. People love to say how its a waste, but those are usually people that have never heard full range speakers in all of the positions. If I ever change my speakers to another brand it would have to be full range in all positions.
Agree 100%. The problem is that I can't afford 7 M2s when you factor in the divorce fees post my wife finding out or I would do it in a heartbeat The 708s are close for surrounds, but all matching is where it is at! I had all 590s in the room after I sold my 4722s and it is a stupendously good setup for movies. Well done buddy. If one has the space and funds, it is a no-brainer to have all matching for movies, gaming, and multi-channel music. I crossed all 7 of my 4722s (dual 15" drivers) at 80hz and cross my current M2s at 80hz. I am a firm believer if you have two or more capable subs, offload that content to the big boys regardless of the size of your towers. It goes against logic because we all feel we have to use the towers to their fullest capability. To cross at 80hz is to rob ourselves of performance and to blaspheme the tower speaker. My experience has show that if the subs are placed and dialed in correctly, the room response will typically be better with the subs handling all the 80hz and below vs towers and subs.
skypop likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 06-17-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #2741 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Agree 100%. The problem is that I can't afford 7 M2s when you factor in the divorce fees post my wife finding out or I would do it in a heartbeat The 708s are close for surrounds, but all matching is where it is at! I had all 590s in the room after I sold my 4722s and it is a stupendously good setup for movies. Well done buddy. If one has the space and funds, it is a no-brainer to have all matching for movies, gaming, and multi-channel music. I crossed all 7 of my 4722s (dual 15" drivers) at 80hz and cross my current M2s at 80hz. I am a firm believer if you have two or more capable subs, offload that content to the big boys regardless of the size of your towers. It goes against logic because we all feel we have to use the towers to their fullest capability. To cross at 80hz is to rob ourselves of performance and to blaspheme the tower speaker. My experience has show that if the subs are placed and dialed in correctly, the room response will typically be better with the subs handling all the 80hz and below vs towers and subs.
Lol,3 M2's across the front makes for some Major Sounds! I was thinking about going with the M2's but I have no where to put the amps so that they wouldn't be heard. I am thinking about 3 4367's for the front and keep the 590's I have in the surround positions.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #2742 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3208 Post(s)
Liked: 3853
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
Lol,3 M2's across the front makes for some Major Sounds! I was thinking about going with the M2's but I have no where to put the amps so that they wouldn't be heard. I am thinking about 3 4367's for the front and keep the 590's I have in the surround positions.
Get a BSS London and use your own amps. After getting the M2s, my speaker journey is officially over - they are that good (to my ears). The all matching 590s rocks for movies. If you are into 2 channel, the M2 is a game changer but if your mainly movies stick with the 590s or 4722s across the front and 590s as surrounds.
skypop likes this.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #2743 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You guys got some seriously stupid houses if you can put 7 590s in surround

I probably should have stuck with 580s and could have maybe gotten away with a 4.1 setup because the 590s are just grossly insane for my 16x16 living room.. oh well.
Majicpanda is offline  
post #2744 of 2984 Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
You guys got some seriously stupid houses if you can put 7 590s in surround

I probably should have stuck with 580s and could have maybe gotten away with a 4.1 setup because the 590s are just grossly insane for my 16x16 living room.. oh well.
My Theater Room/Basement is 20'X24' so no problem with 7 590's,plus I have 2 Epik Empires and 2 Behringers that sit right against the back of my seating. Very good sound but after all this is a hobby lol. My wife has the rest of the house to do as she pleases. Retiring in 2 years and by than my attic/2 Channel room will be done.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #2745 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 5,415
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I miss my basement in Lee’s Summit, MO (Near Kansas City). I moved to Melbourne, FL and we built a house that we could afford (actually went over) and all we got was a 15x20 media room that has our computer desk as well as our 7.2.4 (atmos added recently) home theater (with a 150” screen hung on the wall). While it is nice to have the room, it is cramped and I cannot have floor standers in the side surround or back. I am trying to put the 530s I bought recently on a wall mount for my surround backs. Haven’t done it yet. I have diysoundgroup’s volt 6 for side surrounds because they have to be above a window on one side and above a door on the other. At least I have 590s across the front (even though my center is placed sideways). I am content for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skypop and Lp85253 like this.
bommai is offline  
post #2746 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
marjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
530s are showing back in stock at full price with a 10/5 ship date. Trying to decide if I want these or maybe 580s for surrounds next time they are on sale to go with my 590s up front. Decisions.
Lp85253 likes this.
marjen is offline  
post #2747 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 AM
Member
 
WhiskeyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Joliet,IL
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
530s are showing back in stock at full price with a 10/5 ship date. Trying to decide if I want these or maybe 580s for surrounds next time they are on sale to go with my 590s up front. Decisions.
The 520's are on sale at Newegg again for $150 for the next week. I saw it in this mornings Newegg Flash. Seems to be the normal $349 on the regular site.

Jack

Pioneer Elite SC-95 / Audiosource 6.2 Tripath (Wide Amp) 9.2.2/11.2 system
JBL 590 (Front), / JBL 590 (Drivers & XO) Center in Klipsch RC-7 Cabinet
Klipsch RS-42 (Side & Rear), Klipsch RVX-42 (Wide), Klipsch RS-25 (Height)
(2) Klipsch RW-10D Subwoofers, Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos Enabled)
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD (Blu Ray/SACD/DVD-Audio
WhiskeyJ is offline  
post #2748 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I see the 520 pairs at $275 on Newegg.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by genaccmiller; 06-18-2019 at 05:54 AM.
genaccmiller is offline  
post #2749 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
530s are showing back in stock at full price with a 10/5 ship date. Trying to decide if I want these or maybe 580s for surrounds next time they are on sale to go with my 590s up front. Decisions.
I experimented quite a bit using 590's and 530's for surrounds and the conclusion I came to was that if you have good subs and cross over around 80hz the 530's sound excellent. Honestly there was not much different using the 530's for the front 3 main speakers vs 590's if you have good subs.

The next conclusion I came to was more is better when it comes to speakers and subs. I have 13 speakers now + 2 subs + buttshakers in my HT and would love to add another 2-4 height channels for Atmos/DTS:X down the road when processors can handle this better for the home. My room is not large but once you experience the immersive sound it is a game changer for a well done sound track and you can mix audio from a standard 5.1 or 7.1 track into Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D.

So if you don't have really good subs or perhaps some transducers save some money by getting 530's and put the budget towards other components. Subwoofers are critically important and now with things like BEQ available, they can be a game changer.
ack_bk is offline  
post #2750 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
marjen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I experimented quite a bit using 590's and 530's for surrounds and the conclusion I came to was that if you have good subs and cross over around 80hz the 530's sound excellent. Honestly there was not much different using the 530's for the front 3 main speakers vs 590's if you have good subs.

The next conclusion I came to was more is better when it comes to speakers and subs. I have 13 speakers now + 2 subs + buttshakers in my HT and would love to add another 2-4 height channels for Atmos/DTS:X down the road when processors can handle this better for the home. My room is not large but once you experience the immersive sound it is a game changer for a well done sound track and you can mix audio from a standard 5.1 or 7.1 track into Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D.

So if you don't have really good subs or perhaps some transducers save some money by getting 530's and put the budget towards other components. Subwoofers are critically important and now with things like BEQ available, they can be a game changer.
I actually found a pair of 530s on Ebay. HATED to buy them but they were cheaper than the normal price ($520 shipped) so at least I have 5. covered with 3 590 up front and 2 530 for surround duty. I am planning on 7.2.4 so I will need to track down another pair to complete the set. For subs I purchased a SVS PB12-NSD last Black Friday and hope to pick up another this Black Friday. That should cover the bass. Room is not too big, 13 ft 8 in x 17 ft.
marjen is offline  
post #2751 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
I experimented quite a bit using 590's and 530's for surrounds and the conclusion I came to was that if you have good subs and cross over around 80hz the 530's sound excellent. Honestly there was not much different using the 530's for the front 3 main speakers vs 590's if you have good subs.



The next conclusion I came to was more is better when it comes to speakers and subs. I have 13 speakers now + 2 subs + buttshakers in my HT and would love to add another 2-4 height channels for Atmos/DTS:X down the road when processors can handle this better for the home. My room is not large but once you experience the immersive sound it is a game changer for a well done sound track and you can mix audio from a standard 5.1 or 7.1 track into Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D.



So if you don't have really good subs or perhaps some transducers save some money by getting 530's and put the budget towards other components. Subwoofers are critically important and now with things like BEQ available, they can be a game changer.
I don't have place to put five 590s. I have three that I can put LCR. What surrounds can I buy that will match with the 590s but not be towers? The 530s I heard do not match well with 590s. In any case it's a moot point because they are not in stock. Would mixing up with bookshelves on other brands be ok? I am not wedded to JBL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
post #2752 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Agree 100%. The problem is that I can't afford 7 M2s when you factor in the divorce fees post my wife finding out or I would do it in a heartbeat The 708s are close for surrounds, but all matching is where it is at! I had all 590s in the room after I sold my 4722s and it is a stupendously good setup for movies. Well done buddy. If one has the space and funds, it is a no-brainer to have all matching for movies, gaming, and multi-channel music.
I think I would have to flip a coin. To decide wife or matching M2 $peakers all the way around

You already have 3 of the M2z. You only need 4 more

If you turn the master volume up a couple clicks. The magnificent cluster of M2z should remove any objectionable higher frequencies. That may lesson your listening enjoyment.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #2753 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I don't have place to put five 590s. I have three that I can put LCR. What surrounds can I buy that will match with the 590s but not be towers? The 530s I heard do not match well with 590s. In any case it's a moot point because they are not in stock. Would mixing up with bookshelves on other brands be ok? I am not wedded to JBL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Wait for the JBL Series-6 610 on-wall surround as I mentioned to you before. I would bet they would be a pretty close match to the 590's. Similar or same compression tweeter and the same woofer material.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #2754 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
genaccmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Wait for the JBL Series-6 610 on-wall surround as I mentioned to you before. I would bet they would be a pretty close match to the 590's. Similar or same compression tweeter and the same woofer material.
Dan - cost on newer models is going to be very high.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
genaccmiller is offline  
post #2755 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4467 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Dan - cost on newer models is going to be very high.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Not from what I'm seeing. Considering Japanese pricing for the Series-5 was pretty similar to the U.S., the Series-6 is still looking fairly reasonable with JBL's listed retail pricing in Japan. I would bet JBL could keep the prices down a bit because the cabinets are not so massive and more like a "normal" speaker line.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 06-18-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #2756 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I don't have place to put five 590s. I have three that I can put LCR. What surrounds can I buy that will match with the 590s but not be towers? The 530s I heard do not match well with 590s. In any case it's a moot point because they are not in stock. Would mixing up with bookshelves on other brands be ok? I am not wedded to JBL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
I am not sure who is saying you cannot use 590's and 530's together, but this is not my experience at all. Again with a good subwoofer (or two or three) and crossing over at 80hz the 530's give up very little to the 590's for home theater duties. I have done numerous A/B comparisons between the 530's and 590's and it is surprising at how good those 530's are when combined with good subwoofers.

If you can't make the 530's work at all or need in-ceiling options in this very thread there were numerous recommendations made. JBL has some pro audio speakers for in-ceiling/wall use that use compression drivers and have very good dispersion.

I cannot stress enough for Atmos duty dispersion is the key, especially if your ceilings are lower (8' or below). JBL, Kef, RSL, all have some really good Atmos options for in-ceiling. There are some big threads on Atmos and mixing and matching and I think at the the end of the day, I would rather have a speaker from another brand that meets the needs of my room more than trying to make something work just because it is JBL and uses the same drivers.

Ideally if you could have an all Studio 5 series setup, go with that. But not everyone can make large towers or bookshelves work for the various surround channels.
ack_bk is offline  
post #2757 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 11,349
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Not from what I'm seeing. Considering Japanese pricing for the Series-5 was pretty similar to the U.S., the Series-6 is still looking fairly reasonable with JBL's listed retail pricing in Japan. I would bet JBL could keep the prices down a bit because the cabinets are not so massive and more like a "normal" speaker line.
As I think about it, I wonder how much of that Studio 5 pricing was factoring in free shipping. My 590's came shipped on a pallet with a ton of shrink wrap and special delivery. That can't be cheap. So that's a really good point (on top of just the cost of the larger cabinet as you mention).

I would not expect to see the big 40-50% off type sales on the Studio 6 like we see in recent years on the Studio 5 anytime soon though.
ack_bk is offline  
post #2758 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
LNEWoLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 916
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
I don't have place to put five 590s. I have three that I can put LCR. What surrounds can I buy that will match with the 590s but not be towers? The 530s I heard do not match well with 590s. In any case it's a moot point because they are not in stock. Would mixing up with bookshelves on other brands be ok? I am not wedded to JBL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
You may consider going with four 580 for your surround and surround back positions. If your fortunate enough that they go on sale again for $329 each.

IMHO, for ME. Like I have expressed many times. Having matching tower speakers all the way around is something VERY special.

For ME, matching tower speakers are not something I would consider to replace in a couple years. A good set of speakers can easily go 20 plus years or more. IMHO, is worth the investment and enjoyment for how long they will last. If you can afford to do so. With my current speakers I will never replace them. They bring a HuGE to my face every day.

If you are unable to get the 580. Due to availability or cost. You might want to consider the 530 for the surround and surround backs. I highly recommend keeping within the JBL 5 series of speakers. To match your existing 590 towers.

Good luck in your decision.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A

Last edited by LNEWoLF; 06-18-2019 at 08:07 AM.
LNEWoLF is offline  
post #2759 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Okay so I've given up on using my 530s as my main L & R speakers (too many issues balancing them between different inputs + their treble makes my left eardrum literally spasm/twitch at higher volumes with certain songs). I don't want to completely get rid of them though, as they are much better than my other speakers when listening to music at low volume. So I'm wondering if there's a way for me to incorporate them into my current 5.1 system, like on a switch or something? I'd love to be able to switch them on when I want to listen to low volume music (I like listening to my music in 5.1, not stereo) and then switch over to my other L & R speakers when I want to listen at higher volume? So basically still use the same center, rears and subwoofer but switch between two different sets of L & R speakers?

Also is there any device out there that would allow independent bass/treble control for each individual speaker? My AVR only allows me to adjust bass/treble across the board to all five of my speakers...do other AVRs allow independent bass/treble control of each? Or is there any type of add-on device I could buy that would let me do that?
papatoony2 is offline  
post #2760 of 2984 Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Senior Member
 
JosephTonyStark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman143 View Post
I’m kicking myself in the nuts for not buying a 2nd pair when I had the chance at this offer smh.
...can you even say nuts on a family friendly forum like this??

Haha, reminds me of early on in the movie Uncle Buck..."Miles, stop staying 'balls'!......what else do you want me to call them??.....oh yeah, NUTS!"
tinman143 likes this.

TV: Samsung 65" UHD LED | Sources: PS4; Panasonic DMP-BT460; LG UB870; Dell 7010 SFF; Roku Ultra | AVP: Marantz AV8802A | Amps: Emotiva XPA-1L\100 (LR\C); Outlaw Audio 7125 | Front LR\C: JBL Studio 590\Studio 520C | Surrounds: JBL P520WS | Subs: PSA S1801 | Heights: JBL Pro Control CRV (2)
JosephTonyStark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off