JBL Studio Series 5 - The Magic Guaranteed - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 818Likes

post #2911 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by genaccmiller View Post
Any experience with how long JBL takes to ship stuff out. Placed order on Monday and it's Wednesday.
When I placed my order for the 530s they said they were on backorder for another month, but to my surprise I got a shipping confirmation 2-3 days later and they arrived at my doorstep two days after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Any experience with how long JBL takes to ship stuff out. Placed order on Monday and it's Wednesday.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Depends on what you ordered. I bought a pair of the 590's, they ship via freight on a pallet. I took about a week give or take to get a shipping notice.
post #2913 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Depends on what you ordered. I bought a pair of the 590's, they ship via freight on a pallet. I took about a week give or take to get a shipping notice.
I ordered the 590s last time and it took the same time. But this time I ordered 580s on July 8 and ups ground is supposed to ship it. It says expected delivery July 12 but is inaccurate since it's not shipped yet. I am just afraid they don't cancel the order given the incredibly good price I got for them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatoony2 View Post
When I placed my order for the 530s they said they were on backorder for another month, but to my surprise I got a shipping confirmation 2-3 days later and they arrived at my doorstep two days after that.
I am just worried due to the incredibly good price I paid for them that they don't have second thoughts and cancel it.

post #2915 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
I ordered the 590s last time and it took the same time. But this time I ordered 580s on July 8 and ups ground is supposed to ship it. It says expected delivery July 12 but is inaccurate since it's not shipped yet. I am just afraid they don't cancel the order given the incredibly good price I got for them.

I wouldn't worry, they have been running crazy %50 sales for about the last year and a half on the 5 series. I assume they are trying to burn though back stock to make room for the new 6 Series that's coming out.
post #2916 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2917 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
It's supposed to let the 530/520c do their thing and just send any audio frequencies that are below my set 100hz crossover down to the sub, no?
No. A crossover is designed to cut output frequencies below the crossover point to your speakers and frequencies higher to your subwoofer. This is simplistic it is actually a rolloff centered around the crossover point. your mains will still see signals down to 40hz or so but at greatly reduced volume.

Turning the sub off should cut all bass output. Turning the crossover off will feed full-range to your speakers. This is normal. Most receivers with room correction will set this up automatically via a microphone, setting sub levels for you. Most people will then raise sub level by 3-5 Db after this process to compensate for a perceived lack of bass. (this is more to do with playback at lower than reference requiring perceptively more base)

Last edited by Purple X; 07-10-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #2918 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I just made an odd discovery today with my 530s/520c (that I've been troubleshooting for over a month now because I'm determined to get these things to work for me the way they seem to work for everyone else). I complained before about the 530s being almost all treble & causing my ears to literally twitch/spasm even at moderate listening volume. Well today for the first time I tried listening to them naked, without my sub on. I have no idea why or how, but suddenly they sound AMAZING and produce balanced midrange and impressively deep bass of their own which was not the case not before. Twice I had to double check to make sure I'd actually turned my sub off. I've listened to them all day long today--and LOUD--with zero fatigue, zero eardrum issues and no reaching for the volume down button (which I was constantly doing before). It's literally like I'm listening to a completely different pair of speakers--the speakers everyone's been talking about on here all this time! But I still cannot figure out why simply having my subwoofer turned on would strip the mids and bass out of the 530s??? I had the crossover set at 100hz (which I also played with both higher and lower and never noticed any audible difference either way).

So now I'm just trying to figure out how I can add a sub back in and not lose the midrange and bass from these speakers for whatever reason? I'm 95% happy with them without the sub, but they could use just a little bit more low end for movies and a few deeper-hitting songs. I'm keeping them no matter what because I can now see their full potential, but I'd really love to solve this puzzle and get them up to 100%.

dude, many of us advised you to just buy a new avr several pages ago. your avr is like 7 or so years old? correct? it could be defective by now.

i am sure the avr is the problem. or it could be the sub cable, or the sub itself. disconnect the cable from the avr, make sure the sub is on, rub the end of the cable with your finger, does the sub make sound?
post #2919 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
dude, many of us advised you to just buy a new avr several pages ago. your avr is like 7 or so years old? correct? it could be defective by now.

i am sure the avr is the problem. or it could be the sub cable, or the sub itself. disconnect the cable from the avr, make sure the sub is on, rub the end of the cable with your finger, does the sub make sound?
I realize that, but the AVR works perfectly with my other speakers so I have a hard time believing it just suddenly becomes defective when I switch those out with the JBLs (and then becomes un-defective again once I switch them back). I'm going to troubleshoot before I just go blow a bunch of money on a new receiver that may or may not correct the issue(s) I'm having. At this point I actually hope it is something wrong with the AVR because that would mean my issues are correctable, but buying a new AVR will be my absolute last resort after all else has failed. It seems like every time I try and solve one problem, I create two more.

And yes, the sub makes sound when I rub my finger over the cable.
post #2920 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered two 580s. The second one shows shipped and first one shows processing. Is it normal for Harman to do this where the later order shows shipped?

post #2921 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I realize that, but the AVR works perfectly with my other speakers so I have a hard time believing it just suddenly becomes defective when I switch those out with the JBLs (and then becomes un-defective again once I switch them back). I'm going to troubleshoot before I just go blow a bunch of money on a new receiver that may or may not correct the issue(s) I'm having. At this point I actually hope it is something wrong with the AVR because that would mean my issues are correctable, but buying a new AVR will be my absolute last resort after all else has failed. It seems like every time I try and solve one problem, I create two more.

And yes, the sub makes sound when I rub my finger over the cable.
Why don't you get one from Best buy and test out. If you find it is the avr, keep it. If not then return and then talk to JBL about returning your speakers because they are defective. It can be one or the other.

papatoony2 likes this.
post #2922 of 2985 Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
id be happy to buy your jbl 530s at sale price you paid, $300 plus tax.

I may be dumb but I'm not that dumb
post #2923 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My set up - three 590s in the front. Two 580s in the back
Subwoofer - may not need it given the speakers above
Receiver - Denon 4400h

Will the receiver above be able to power the speakers or is it too much of a load on the receiver? Did I buy the wrong receiver for this set up? What alternatives are there to ensure receiver is not damaged? If getting an amp is the solution, then what is the purpose of the receiver?

Any inputs?

post #2924 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Any inputs?

It will be perfectly fine. External amps would be helpful if you plan on cranking them super loud and in that case the receiver becomes a processor feeding signal to the amps, but otherwise you are good to go.
post #2925 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
It will be perfectly fine. External amps would be helpful if you plan on cranking them super loud and in that case the receiver becomes a processor feeding signal to the amps, but otherwise you are good to go.
Do I need a subwoofer and if I add one is the denon still sufficient?

post #2926 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Do I need a subwoofer and if I add one is the denon still sufficient?

Subwoofers have their own amp. It will not put any extra load on your receiver. You will be using a rca connector coax cable to connect the sub woofer pre out to the subwoofer. You need to calibrate using audyssey. I have the 590s for LCR and two 560p subwoofers. I have the denon 4300. I was running the denon with my setup until I added atmos speakers. Now I run the denon but use my older beefier nad receiver as a power amp for the main 5 channels while the surround back and 4 atmos are powered by denon. I have a fan from AC Infinity sitting on my denon to cool it as it gets hot.

I would recommend one or two subs for movies because the jbls need help for that. But for music you should be ok.

Positioning and calibration are important. Make sure you leave room on the sides and back of the big speakers. Earlier in this thread I have attached a photo of my setup for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #2927 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
Subwoofers have their own amp. It will not put any extra load on your receiver. You will be using a rca connector coax cable to connect the sub woofer pre out to the subwoofer. You need to calibrate using audyssey. I have the 590s for LCR and two 560p subwoofers. I have the denon 4300. I was running the denon with my setup until I added atmos speakers. Now I run the denon but use my older beefier nad receiver as a power amp for the main 5 channels while the surround back and 4 atmos are powered by denon. I have a fan from AC Infinity sitting on my denon to cool it as it gets hot.

I would recommend one or two subs for movies because the jbls need help for that. But for music you should be ok.

Positioning and calibration are important. Make sure you leave room on the sides and back of the big speakers. Earlier in this thread I have attached a photo of my setup for reference.

If subs have their own amp, would I need to add an amp for my set up or will I be ok with the Denon 4400h? I have the infinity fans too with thermal controller so that they switch on or off when temp reaches 94 degrees.

post #2928 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
If subs have their own amp, would I need to add an amp for my set up or will I be ok with the Denon 4400h? I have the infinity fans too with thermal controller so that they switch on or off when temp reaches 94 degrees.

That depends entirely on your usage. If you have a huge room and/or run the speakers full-range and want to really crank the volume then yeah, some extra power would probably be helpful. That said, the Denon is rated at 125W into 8 ohms so you'd need a 250W/channel amp to get even 3 db more of headroom. As I said before you will most likely be perfectly fine with only the 4400 since the 580s and 590s are relatively efficient.
post #2929 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 04:49 PM

i normally leave grills off speakers because i think they sound very slightly better and i think they look better, but not on these.

since the grill doesnt cover the tweeter portion im assuming it wont make a difference.
post #2930 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
i normally leave grills off speakers because i think they sound very slightly better and i think they look better, but not on these.

since the grill doesnt cover the tweeter portion im assuming it wont make a difference.

There is a bottom part of the horn that needs to be installed if you remove the grill.

post #2931 of 2985 Old 07-11-2019, 11:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
@papatoony2 is your sub's gain set to anything higher than zero on your receiver? If yes, increase the volume on the sub so that the receiver's gain in as close to zero as you can get. It could be that your sub is robbing the speakers before things get amplified. I'm just guessing.

Woot on the return of the 530's! There was no way I was gonna pay $900 for a used pair. Now I will wait for a sale.

So I've had LRC 580's for 7 months and have had them all over the room and at a bunch of different heights off the floor-3",6",12",16",24". Once I got a measurement mic and REW going I could see what I was doing. I was EQ'ing the speaker at the cost of the detail from the horn. From what I read (and I am a newb to audio), our ears are most sensitive to 2000-5000hz. This is all in the horn. So moving it away is dumb, I now eq down the horn and have it directly at ear level and things are very detailed and very spacious. I was getting too much from the horn as-is. I measured the speakers with REW and a calibrated mic. The measurements came out super flat so maybe I don't like flat high frequencies in my room? I do like that the speaker gives me the chance to roll it off to where I want. The harman curve of rolling things off at 2500hz is all I am doing.

tldr- if you find drums too bright, EQ down the highs for your room. No matter what, we hear the speaker + the room. It took me some time to figure that out.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...n-Target-Curve
post #2932 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 3887
Quote:
Your tweeter days are over. Welcome to JBL you are a compression driver owner now
skypop and smithsabom like this.

AVP - Trinnov Alt16
Speakers - (3) JBL M2 L/C/R, (4) JBL 708 Surrounds, (4) JBL 705 Heights
Subs - (2) Deep Sea Sound 24" & (2) Dual Stereo Integrity 18" *DIY*
Video - Sony 55es
Screen - Seymour 127" A/T 16:9
post #2933 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Both my 580s have been shipped. Sweet deal for two at $520.

post #2934 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
So I just got a pair of 290s because of an amazing deal but now I see the 580s are selling for $660/pair. The 290s are my surrounds and sound great paired with my 590s, but I'm considering selling the 290s locally and picking up a pair.. got 2 days, any opinions on if there would be any difference at all? They're just surrounds.

My only issue is what kind of difference in sounds am I getting when panning when they have different drivers?
290 - 25mm (1") CMMD® Lite high frequency dome
580/590 - 1" (25mm) compression driver with neodymium magnet and one-piece Teonex diaphragm on a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial horn, magnetically shielded

Last edited by Majicpanda; 07-12-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #2935 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I totally agree! These are by far the best $500 I spent on speakers. I wow'd them so much I unloaded my B&W 685s and 684s. I now own a pair of the 530s along w/ the 520 and soon the 570s or if I get very excited I may snag the 580s

i thought they didnt sell the 570s anymore?
i read somewhere the engineer who designed this series preferred them over the 580s and 590s
post #2936 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
So I just got a pair of 290s because of an amazing deal but now I see the 580s are selling for $660/pair. The 290s are my surrounds and sound great paired with my 590s, but I'm considering selling the 290s locally and picking up a pair.. got 2 days, any opinions on if there would be any difference at all? They're just surrounds.

My only issue is what kind of difference in sounds am I getting when panning when they have different drivers?

290 - 25mm (1") CMMD Lite high frequency dome

580/590 - 1" (25mm) compression driver with neodymium magnet and one-piece Teonex diaphragm on a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial horn, magnetically shielded
My 580 pair came to $520 with tax and shipped. Sweet deal.

post #2937 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
My 580 pair came to $520 with tax and shipped. Sweet deal.

The only deals I see right now are $330/ea and that would still require me to be able to sell my 290s to make up the cost. I'm really more concerned about the high end frequency differences and if's worth the hassle to try and sell my 290s.
post #2938 of 2985 Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majicpanda View Post
The only deals I see right now are $330/ea and that would still require me to be able to sell my 290s to make up the cost. I'm really more concerned about the high end frequency differences and if's worth the hassle to try and sell my 290s.
Need to be a bit creative to lower the price. I called them for additional coupons. Snagged two 20 pct off and one 10 pct off coupon. In addition when you register online you get a $10 off the purchase price. So here is how it broke down.

First 580
Price $330
20pct discount $66
$10 off additional
Total - $254
With tax - $271

Second 580
Price $330
20 pct discount $66
10 pct discount $26
Total - $240
With tax - $254