**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7259Likes

post #4141 of 4706 Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
So how are things coming along--any updates you can share?
A few: The new A1.5 along with the A2.4 are in production. The A1.5 was adjusted to become more of a main speaker in prep for a compact model A4.5 onwall, surround, and effects wedge, up next. Model A6.5 larger center is also about to sign off.

Beyond that you probably know lie another seven models in other lines - more to say after they appear. Some bass models are also prepping; same plan. Beyond that lie still other likely candidates - the last few years have been a busy period.

Thanks for your interest, V. There's a lot we'd like to accomplish...

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4706 Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind Kanna View Post
Hi Guys,

New Chane owner here! Just got 3 of the A2.4 and I'm very excited to set everything up. I needed some advice from you guys on my surround speakers and i'm debating between three models at the moment. This have to be on wall and mounted somehow so have to figure out the placement.
Thanks Arvind, and maybe this will bump your question a little. Chane users generally seem more practical and less compelled to comment on things they haven't used. It could take a little time but eventually you'll probably get a more reliable recommendation.

Lend a new Chane user a hand, folks!
BufordTJustice likes this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4143 of 4706 Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Hi Guys,
New Chane owner here! Just got 3 of the A2.4 and I'm very excited to set everything up. I needed some advice from you guys on my surround speakers and i'm debating between three models at the moment. This have to be on wall and mounted somehow so have to figure out the placement.
Arvind
Maybe look at the Elac on-wall as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4144 of 4706 Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to go with another brand other than the Chane for the surrounds at the moment. When i spoke with Jon he said that they're releasing a 4.4 model for onwall surround speakers in a few months so i figured i'd get something in the meantime and wait for those.

In terms of the choices:

1. JBL Studio 210 4'' surround speakers, refurbished are coming for $80 which seems like a great deal.

2. Second option is the Fluance SXBP2 Bipolar Surround Speakers

3. Third are the Polk OWM3, mainly because of the sleeker design and size, they seem to easier to mount etc.

I've been having a tough time deciding which ones to go with in terms of the sound and ones which match well with the A2.4s, currently leaning toward the Fluance. Any help would be really appreciated so please let me know what you guys think. If you guys have any other good recommendations around the same price range, please let me know.

My setup will be 5.1.2:
- A2.4 LCR
- Sony SSCSE Atmos speakers for upfiring (not sure if getting better ones bakes a big difference really, i thought these were good enough)
- Surrounds TBD as stated above
- HSU VTF-2 MK5 Sub
- Marantz SR-5012 Receiver

Thanks in advance for your help!

Arvind
I'm using JBL studio 210, and they are small and good, haven't tried others though.
post #4145 of 4706 Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have A1.4s L and R A2.4 center. should i go a6.5 center and buy a2.4 for L then move my a1.4s to side surrounds replacing my jbl studio 230s? im happy with my current setup just wondering if its worth the upgrade? whats approximate cost of the a6.5 going to be?
post #4146 of 4706 Old 04-05-2019, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 482
It depends on the size of the room and your listening habits, but the efficiency gain from the additional drivers are a nice bonus. I'd be interested in the specs of the A6.5, as well.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #4147 of 4706 Old 04-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't point to a formulation or study at this point that conclusively does explain it, but in one real example after another there's just something else, something important.

The speaker is a complex, inefficient transducer set and too variable and physical to easily analyze. What's left are incomplete, after-the-fact correlations (which are certainly not for nothing. Their original counterparts are the foundation of design).
Did you have that "a-ha" moment, that epiphany with the new L series? The correlations from the T&S parameters give a good glimpse into the behavior, but of course, they are a snapshot in time under a specific set of conditions, which I assume is what you were referring to. I've heard it said it illuminates a great deal, like it gets you 90% of the way there, but that other 10% is where the "magic" happens. A good designer/engineer has to translate the theoretical perfection of the math into the approximations of the real world.

I'm curious if you can share any insights from the design process for this new series. Like I've said many times, you squeezed out every last bit of potential for the budget with the A series, so what was it like having more to work with this time around?

post #4148 of 4706 Old 04-06-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
A few: The new A1.5 along with the A2.4 are in production. The A1.5 was adjusted to become more of a main speaker in prep for a compact model A4.5 onwall, surround, and effects wedge, up next. Model A6.5 larger center is also about to sign off.

Beyond that you probably know lie another seven models in other lines - more to say after they appear. Some bass models are also prepping; same plan. Beyond that lie still other likely candidates - the last few years have been a busy period.

Thanks for your interest, V. There's a lot we'd like to accomplish...
6.5 dimensions?

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #4149 of 4706 Old 04-06-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm curious if you can share any insights from the design process for this new series. Like I've said many times, you squeezed out every last bit of potential for the budget with the A series, so what was it like having more to work with this time around?
It was rewarding. There are a good half a dozen functions inherent to a final tune - even if only one or two of them have been popularized as 'science' - and any model involves basically all of them, intentional or not. Naturally you wonder if it's possible to take all of them to their theoretical limits together, but I doubt any combination of drivers and responses will ever be that perfect.

That's all I'll say, except that the more you have to work with the more you can mine. The A line isn't quite done evolving yet either...
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4150 of 4706 Old 04-06-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
6.5 dimensions?
Approximately 450mm wide, 295mm high, and 260mm deep.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4151 of 4706 Old 04-06-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Quote:
6.5 dimensions?
Approximately 450mm wide, 295mm high, and 260mm deep.
I thought it would be wider than the A2.4. didn't you mention a bigger model?

A2.4imensions: 180 x 500 x 300mm
post #4152 of 4706 Old 04-06-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorios View Post
I thought it would be wider than the A2.4. didn't you mention a bigger model?

A2.4 dimensions: 180 x 500 x 300mm

It's acoustically bigger above 80Hz: Twin 6.5" flank a single 5.25" mid and the planar tweeter above it. As a dedicated center it's much taller but is being kept compact in the other two dimensions. High-pass it at 80Hz or so.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4153 of 4706 Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's all I'll say, except that the more you have to work with the more you can mine. The A line isn't quite done evolving yet either...
Well that's good to hear. The A series is a great bang for the buck, and with your work on the L series, I'm glad the tried and true A's haven't fallen through the cracks. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I haven't had much time to spend online lately. In the L series there's going to be a large tower, but is there also going to be a larger bookshelf and a smaller tower? Can you fill in any more of the details such as the drivers, crossover points, design goals, etc...

I mentioned previously that I needed to replace my old projector before I started thinking about upgrading any speakers. Well, that box has been checked off now, so I'm ready to replace the A1.4s upfront. Despite their smaller footprint, they have served me well for around a year in my smallish room, but now I'm looking for something acoustically larger that'll be a good match with my 3-way Infinity center.

post #4154 of 4706 Old 04-10-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Another informative Chane A5.4 review by a fellow AVS member:

Chane A5.4 review
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #4155 of 4706 Old 04-11-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In the L series there's going to be a large tower, but is there also going to be a larger bookshelf and a smaller tower? Can you fill in any more of the details such as the drivers, crossover points, design goals, etc...
There are two large 2-way stand-mount and LCR speakers in the mix, plus the L6 center. Smaller models and a smaller tower should follow later.

Quote:
I'm looking for something acoustically larger that'll be a good match with my 3-way Infinity center.
There'll be at least five, possibly eight other new models announced before long.

Design-wise, advances over the last few years are enabling the most transparent sound we've made so far - maybe your OP could be persuaded to eventually report on an example...
Vergiliusm and BufordTJustice like this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4156 of 4706 Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
There are two large 2-way stand-mount and LCR speakers in the mix, plus the L6 center. Smaller models and a smaller tower should follow later.

There'll be at least five, possibly eight other new models announced before long.

Design-wise, advances over the last few years are enabling the most transparent sound we've made so far - maybe your OP could be persuaded to eventually report on an example...

I could.

Maybe.

drh3b likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #4157 of 4706 Old 04-11-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
It's acoustically bigger above 80Hz: Twin 6.5" flank a single 5.25" mid and the planar tweeter above it. As a dedicated center it's much taller but is being kept compact in the other two dimensions. High-pass it at 80Hz or so.
Upgrade-itis is about to hit - as soon as the new batch of speakers arrives... I currently use the A2.4 as my center, and it is highly respected as a center. How does/will the A6.5 compare/compete with the A2.4 as a center (multichannel HT use)?
Because... I'm thinking about upgrading my A1.4s LR to A2.4s with the A6.5 as center (I'll buy one A2.4 and one A6.5). I'd expect the new mix to play nice together - any input? Would that mix be significantly better than 3 A2.4s? My listening is about 50:50 "Home Theater" (TV broadcasts and movies) and Classical music (2.1), primarily streaming Internet radio stations.
Now I'm waiting for the announcements of the new Spring arrivals...
post #4158 of 4706 Old 04-12-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you have that "a-ha" moment, that epiphany with the new L series? The correlations from the T&S parameters give a good glimpse into the behavior, but of course, they are a snapshot in time under a specific set of conditions, which I assume is what you were referring to. I've heard it said it illuminates a great deal, like it gets you 90% of the way there, but that other 10% is where the "magic" happens. A good designer/engineer has to translate the theoretical perfection of the math into the approximations of the real world.
I'm sorry I missed this, V, - too much rushing around lately. Your question is well put and it infers important things.

I like to think that every system worth its salt has or can have an X factor - that "thresholding" beyond which it makes real images and suspends disbelief. From there, you can find the critical point where all the factors involved become balanced as well as possible. The further this phenomenon extends - whatever it may be - the more lost in the sound the listener becomes. Identify terms, find and construct a valid center, and tune to the Nth degree within those limits.

For this reason we've never put all stock into a chart or into special hardware. The more important aspect of the X factor, if a design allows it, is the structural tune. You'll see this confirmed in any body of good subjective review too, especially where data is present; there are things that obviously and consistently manifest in the sound that aren't touched on in the texts but that move sensitive listeners almost involuntarily. This implies that threshold, an intangible something that doesn't reflect in the simpler data or assumptions. In fact if it's there you leave the data to find it.

Chane makes no claims on ability and our stuff has certainly been relatively modest, but I do generally know when I hear something. As with so many things, once you know where to look - a damper's exact rebound curve or the precise suspension geometry or the seat-of-the-pants combination of torque curve and gear ratio - you can slowly take even a common design to interesting places. You can also miss the boat in the most externally promising of systems.

(Recently I nearly abandoned a design on theoretical terms before taking a good long go at it to discover that I just wasn't looking at it correctly. Once we put the conventional wisdom aside this system went on to make exceptionally nice sounds to become one of the more engaging setups so far. It's not the only time when the conventional wisdom was challenged either, or just set aside entirely.)

Excellent questions, Vergiliusm. Science needs more extrapolation of such things...

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4159 of 4706 Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane

Originally Posted by BufordTJustice

I could.

Maybe.
OK, you two. Just get a room!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 04-12-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #4160 of 4706 Old 04-12-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
OK, you two. Just get a room!

Rooms are expensive!

In seriousness, I have had access to some prototypes using the latest in Jon's design school. Very similar in design to the L Series, but not necessarily in execution (different driver layout and cabinet). However, for the first time publicly, I'm here to tell you that it's something truly special.

I'm getting an incredible, reality-defying presentation of acoustical sources within the source material that is more 3D than virtually anything I've heard. Ever. The tone textures and colors are fully present. The instruments and vocalists separated, stratified, and succinct. The sense that one can get up and walk around inside of the image is strong and distinct.

While the std measurements are top-shelf (on and off axis amplitude response, sound power/listening window, impulse response, phase, spectral decay, etc), there's just more to it than that. I spend precious little of my valuable time listening to loudspeakers that aren't designed properly; and this presentation is uncommon.

There's very much a synergy; that these designs amount to more than the sum of their parts.

The L Series is going to be, shall we say, disruptive. And so is the series I'm listening to now.

post #4161 of 4706 Old 04-13-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Rooms are expensive!

In seriousness, I have had access to some prototypes using the latest in Jon's design school. Very similar in design to the L Series, but not necessarily in execution (different driver layout and cabinet). However, for the first time publicly, I'm here to tell you that it's something truly special.

I'm getting an incredible, reality-defying presentation of acoustical sources within the source material that is more 3D than virtually anything I've heard. Ever. The tone textures and colors are fully present. The instruments and vocalists separated, stratified, and succinct. The sense that one can get up and walk around inside of the image is strong and distinct.

While the std measurements are top-shelf (on and off axis amplitude response, sound power/listening window, impulse response, phase, spectral decay, etc), there's just more to it than that. I spend precious little of my valuable time listening to loudspeakers that aren't designed properly; and this presentation is uncommon.

There's very much a synergy; that these designs amount to more than the sum of their parts.

The L Series is going to be, shall we say, disruptive. And so is the series I'm listening to now.
So which letter of the alphabet is it going to be, this new series? Is it passive or powered (I'm thinking that is coming at some point in the near future)?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #4162 of 4706 Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
So which letter of the alphabet is it going to be, this new series? Is it passive or powered (I'm thinking that is coming at some point in the near future)?
We're going through the last pre-production stages after which we'll be happy to delve into the details - those new web channels will post following photography. This line will also be passive.
RayGuy and BufordTJustice like this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4163 of 4706 Old 04-14-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
6.5 dimensions?

I just wanted to say hello. I’m assuming you are a fellow WNY’er or are originally from the area?

Go Bills!
post #4164 of 4706 Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnydel2 View Post
I just wanted to say hello. I’m assuming you are a fellow WNY’er or are originally from the area?

Go Bills!
Yup!
dasx86, BufordTJustice and wnydel2 like this.

Vizio PQ 65
Vizio '14 70 P Series, Calibration settings
Samsung 55ES8000
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup. Monolith 12 Sub
post #4165 of 4706 Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello,

Im sorry if I missed any of the information I'm about to ask. I read through most of the thread, but there is a lot. Haha.

1. I am wondering about the estimated release date for the A1.5?

2. Is there a way to reserve a pair so I can get them on release?

3. Since the are meant to be more of a main speaker. How much "air" around them do you think is neccessary for best sound. I know the A2.4 is about 3ft from any boundary surface. Im kind of hoping they wont require as much as the A2.4 but either way im trying to plan my room set up for when they arrive.

I am planning to purchase those for my rear surrounds as well as using them for 4 channel music. L/L R/R.

Thanks for the info. This forum is very helpful and I appreciate everyone here.
post #4166 of 4706 Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrott View Post
1. I am wondering about the estimated release date for the A1.5?
The first 500 are in production now with packaging next month.

Quote:
2. Is there a way to reserve a pair so I can get them on release?
Sure - Our newsletter subscription form is on the homepage.

Quote:
3. Since the are meant to be more of a main speaker. How much "air" around them do you think is neccessary for best sound. I know the A2.4 is about 3ft from any boundary surface. Im kind of hoping they wont require as much as the A2.4 but either way im trying to plan my room set up for when they arrive.
Three feet is plenty - in final tuning we had them 24" from the back wall.

Quote:
I am planning to purchase those for my rear surrounds as well as using them for 4 channel music. L/L R/R.
You may be interested in a smaller model A4.5, coming later. It's a onwall, unported version of the A1.5 that includes two mounting options.
RayGuy and BufordTJustice like this.

Chane Music & Cinema
post #4167 of 4706 Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM

I'm interested in the A5.4, but surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any more recent "shootout" or comparison since the 2013 A5Arx HomeTheaterShack article. Is there a more recent comparison? What improvements were incorporated into the A5.4?
It seems to me that there are a lot of A2.4 comments in this forum, not so many A5.4. I currently have the A1.4s as my LR, and a 2.4 as my center. My room is fairly large, and extremely difficult acoustically - "open floor plan" with 13' cathedral ceiling that peaks directly above the main listening area, over a hall that runs behind the listening area, with the open dining area behind that. With the help of two subs, the 2 1.4s are easily loud enough and sound wonderful, but I think I'm missing a little midrange and depth, especially in complicated orchestral recordings.. Replacing the 1.4s with either 2.4s or 5.4s should fill the mid, but I don't know which to splurge for. I'd predict the 5.4... My listening is 50:50 music and TV/HT. I'd guess I'd run the 5.4s as full range + sub for 2 channel music and see how that setup works for movies.
Any input on choice of speakers for LR (I'll keep the 2.4 as my center), and speaker setup?

Denon AVR-X3400H, Chane A5.4 LR, Chane A2.4 center, Polk RC85i in-wall side-surround, NHT Super One rear surround, SVS PB-12 NSD, HSU-VFT-1, LG OLED 55B6A
post #4168 of 4706 Old 04-26-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
I'm interested in the A5.4, but surprisingly there doesn't seem to be any more recent "shootout" or comparison since the 2013 A5Arx HomeTheaterShack article. Is there a more recent comparison? What improvements were incorporated into the A5.4?

It seems to me that there are a lot of A2.4 comments in this forum, not so many A5.4. I currently have the A1.4s as my LR, and a 2.4 as my center. My room is fairly large, and extremely difficult acoustically - "open floor plan" with 13' cathedral ceiling that peaks directly above the main listening area, over a hall that runs behind the listening area, with the open dining area behind that. With the help of two subs, the 2 1.4s are easily loud enough and sound wonderful, but I think I'm missing a little midrange and depth, especially in complicated orchestral recordings.. Replacing the 1.4s with either 2.4s or 5.4s should fill the mid, but I don't know which to splurge for. I'd predict the 5.4... My listening is 50:50 music and TV/HT. I'd guess I'd run the 5.4s as full range + sub for 2 channel music and see how that setup works for movies.

Any input on choice of speakers for LR (I'll keep the 2.4 as my center), and speaker setup?

There are several user reviews in this thread of the A5.4. There was also another recent thread where another user reviewed the A5.4.

I think you'll see a healthy acoustical improvement, even when using subs, by moving to the A5.4 for your LR.

As for running them full range plus subs, that usually doesn't work as well due to poor phase integration between the two. Easier to pick a lower crossover point between the two like 55-60hz.

post #4169 of 4706 Old 04-27-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
There are several user reviews in this thread of the A5.4. There was also another recent thread where another user reviewed the A5.4.

I think you'll see a healthy acoustical improvement, even when using subs, by moving to the A5.4 for your LR.

As for running them full range plus subs, that usually doesn't work as well due to poor phase integration between the two. Easier to pick a lower crossover point between the two like 55-60hz.

Thanks for the comments! I placed my order for 2 A5.4s...

For me, user reviews are useful but carry less weight than side-by-side comparisons or "shootouts" where multiple listeners can comment about what they do and don't hear. It's inconvenient to "audition" the Chanes (but not impossible), and more difficult to audition them against multiple speakers. The 2013 HTS comparison got my attention, and your comments in the Chane User forums comparing aspects of the 5.4s against the Martin Logan Motion 60XTs were instrumental in my final decision.

Just as an aside : I really appreciate the time and effort you (and Jon Lane) make to give careful, insightful, and expert feedback on the wide variety of questions you get on this forum. I'm not an expert,and I appreciate the effort it takes for an expert to be patient and considerate with the education of a novice. Kudos and thanks!
post #4170 of 4706 Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post
Thanks for the comments! I placed my order for 2 A5.4s...

For me, user reviews are useful but carry less weight than side-by-side comparisons or "shootouts" where multiple listeners can comment about what they do and don't hear. It's inconvenient to "audition" the Chanes (but not impossible), and more difficult to audition them against multiple speakers. The 2013 HTS comparison got my attention, and your comments in the Chane User forums comparing aspects of the 5.4s against the Martin Logan Motion 60XTs were instrumental in my final decision.

Just as an aside : I really appreciate the time and effort you (and Jon Lane) make to give careful, insightful, and expert feedback on the wide variety of questions you get on this forum. I'm not an expert,and I appreciate the effort it takes for an expert to be patient and considerate with the education of a novice. Kudos and thanks!

Well, Chane has been and continues to be an underdog. Even among internet direct brands.

Most of the time, our products are not let in the door to comparisons like you mentioned. And I agree that is a shame. But Chane speakers have been directly compared to vastly more expensive loudspeakers (like Revel) with surprising results, on more than one occasion.

As a concrete example; about ten years ago, on axis linearity for the amplitude/frequency response was a hugely touted aspect of performance here on AVS and over on Audioholics. It was perceived and stated by many to essentially govern how a loudspeaker would sound to a user. Some companies (ID and B&M) published this data. Chane didn't, at first, because Jon knew that this single data point (of the many tens of dozens used to craft a loudspeaker) was far more insular, microscopic, and nearsighted than, say, sound power response or a full Spinorama done at Harman labs. And, rather than throw pearls to many people who were never going to buy his products anyway (they said as much), and who really lacked the experience/knowledge or apparent desire to properly contextualize this kind of data, the decision was made back then to not publish Chane's internal, copious measurements of each model. This resulted in Chane getting absolutely lambasted for making shoddy product. For being charlatans. For being snake oil salesmen. Taken out to the woodshed, as it were. Accused of not being a real company. Over and over. And always by people who had never heard or measured a Chane product in their life. Ironic because Chane has designed and engineered every aspect of every speaker they have released, like several other reputable ID brands. Every component value of every crossover, every CAD drawing of every cabinet. Every spec of every driver. Designed and customized by Chane and NOT outsourced to outside companies like Bennic (who does full design for loudspeakers and crossovers on top of production of designs others submit to them). No third party designers were engaged to design on Chane's behalf. Ever.

Fast forward to about three years ago, and Jon released batteries of measurements (comprehensive though they were, they were only a small snapshot of all the data he collects on every design; including those that don't make it to production). Jon did this quietly in his forum for most past models and all current models via the retail website. And, magically, the same people who used to claim that Chane speakers were garbage (all of whom were very active forum members with high post counts) became silent on that front. Because, ironically, every loudspeaker Jon has made actually measures VERY respectably. His designs are nearly nothing if not consistent.

But, fast forward a few years to, well, NOW.... and there are several VERY popular loudspeakers that are touted highly here on this forum that couldn't be construed as anything but colored by the same yardstick that was used to chastise Chane, ironically. And they sell well, sound decent (some of them), and "win" comparisons against much better designed and executed product. So, for the nearly half decade that Chane was a bullet sponge for detractors, no apologies have been distributed, no mea culpas sung, and no explanation tendered for the narrative change that now (correctly) greatly relaxes the std for on axis frequency response linearity in favor of sound power/off axis averages and other things like time and phase behavior.

So, Chane isn't exactly in a rush to have their designs evaluated in that same manner. Maybe to a reputable publication that does comprehensive measurements like Stereophile? But, I don't think it's difficult to see why Jon doesn't get the traction that others might. He doesn't send out free product as others have done. All his reviews are organic and very real, limited in number though they are.

I'm very confident that you'll greatly enjoy your A5.4's.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 04-27-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page