**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread** - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7245Likes

post #4501 of 4687 Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskud View Post
How capable is a miniDSP 2x4 HD at closing the gap on ideal vs. less-than-ideal sub placement?
It's a powerful tool but best used sparingly filter wise. A good EQ using DSP is setting only 3 or 4 filters with moderate cuts and almost no boosts. Trying to actively EQ yourself out of a less than ideal physical location is a dicey proposition. Good thing about the sub crawl however is you are supposed to find and "dot" more than just that one ideal acoustical location then pick the next best one based on room size and WAF . Then the Mini can come in and save the day as it were.
BufordTJustice and jwskud like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 4687 Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Us got slammed by some critics, but I thought it was different and fun. The "explanation" was a bit...lame(?), and I think Peele should have left it to the imagination...but the movie was entertaining and well-directed, IMHO. I think I liked it even more than Get Out.

I just watched Kong: Skull Island with my (still new, still being tweaked) Chane 5.0 system and...it is just great. A major, major upgrade over my HTiB system. I'm still messing daily with sub integration (experimenting with the LPF and trim, as well as some EQ, which is helping), but the Chanes are (mostly) locked in and broken in and sound great.

I have Xfinity, which has a long list of Music Choice channels (separated by musical genres), most of which I've never listened to...but in 2.0 with the A5.4s, everything sounds so good, I'm listening to genres I have little interest in (New Age/Soundscapes, Singers, Stage and Screen, Jazz, Smooth Jazz, etc.), just to hear the speakers work. And, as I've EQ'd them better and when I do a slight bass boost, on bass-heavy tracks I still get fooled into thinking the sub is on when it is not - I'm amazed at what these 3 "small" 5.25" woofers can accomplish - I will confirm that the XBL2 tech is for real! I'm starting to like sub-less 2.0 music a lot with these A5.4s, something I never thought I would say.

Now, if I could just upgrade my sub...I need a promotion at work!
I preferred Get Out, but I certainly didn't dislike either movie.

I tried to use these things AMAP this weekend. Binge watched about 4 season of Ray Donovan, replayed some Bosch and Jack Ryan episodes in 4k on Amazon Prime.

Played about 4 hours worth of 2ch music as well (some old jazz, metal, classic rock, and some classical.

They seem sharper and crisper than my older Paradigms, but just for music, not having the sub is way more noticeable
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #4503 of 4687 Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
Quote:
Every day I get a bigger and bigger grin on my face listening to my system. I'm finally getting everything tweaked and tuned in, and I'm just beginning to fully appreciate what Chane has provided - the wall of sound with this system, and the clarity of that sound, are phenomenal. I cannot believe how clear voices/lyrics are... I am a very happy customer.
It's great to hear that, jwskud, and it's why we do this, plain and simple. It started modestly in the late 70's and I'm happy to be doing what we're doing still today - exciting times. Love to hear that you're enjoying it, my friend.

Quote:
I have tried crossing the A5.4s over at 50 Hz, which Jon recommends in the setup guide, and it definitely helps. I'm still tweaking and once I feel I have achieved full break-in, will probably settle there. The bass from the A5.4s is very clean and tight, and as I mentioned yesterday, at one point during testing yesterday I swore the sub was on...but it wasn't! Which indicates the A5.4s are capable of extending down well to a 50 Hz crossover.
50Hz is one option, and it reflects the speaker in its as-delivered, open-port mode. However for systems where the active bass system is always on, stopping the port and then selecting a 2nd order 80Hz highpass function in the AVR or processor is no less viable. It can deliver a more ripple-free response.

Always try for a symmetrical transfer function between the mains and bass system: Since the sub is generally suitable for a 80Hz lowpass function and since it's generally a 24dB rate, adding the stopped-port speaker's natural 12dB highpass at around 80Hz to a complimenting 80Hz 2nd order electrical highpass function sums well. The resulting function is a symmetrical 24dB @ 80Hz that, if the damping is good, delivers a number of advantages.

It's just another option and if the active bass system is present, a good one. The trick is to avoid asymmetrical and/or overlapping functions. I believe a number of Chane users - and many others - have left their thoughts here too. (Incidentally the 80Hz option will also give the sub the breathing room to reach its full level - you may find yourself trimming it back down - because a 50Hz point may overlap the sub's natural lower limit to prevent it from full level in that lowest octave. That's not to say full output, just level, which is governed by the various gain settings in the system such as the level setting on the sub and the AVR's LFE channel gain...)

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 4687 Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
It's great to hear that, jwskud, and it's why we do this, plain and simple. It started modestly in the late 70's and I'm happy to be doing what we're doing still today - exciting times. Love to hear that you're enjoying it, my friend.

50Hz is one option, and it reflects the speaker in its as-delivered, open-port mode. However for systems where the active bass system is always on, stopping the port and then selecting a 2nd order 80Hz highpass function in the AVR or processor is no less viable. It can deliver a more ripple-free response.
Thanks, as always, for feedback. I must say, with my current sub, I feel like your recommended 50 Hz (open-port) crossover for the L/R A5.4s is ideal, simply because they:
A. deliver wonderful and full bass response
B. that bass response is tight and clean, whereas my sub in not always tight/clean
C. have so much headroom/ability to play at volume and fill a big room(s) (2300-4600+ cubic feet) that bogging them down with a slower sub is not ideal or necessary

Until the day I upgrade my sub (1-2 years from now, at best), I'll probably stick to this setting, and as I mentioned, if I run my bass a bit hot (+3-5 dB), I often remove the sub altogether for 2.0 music listening. I think it's important for others to know how good these A5.4s are, that they practically demand to be paired with a high-grade sub, or (if one cannot afford a high-grade sub, like me) getting the sub out of the way altogether!

I do still prefer to use 80 Hz crossover for the A2.4 center, open-port, although I may play around with closed port, simply to keep lower-pitched dialogue cleanest.

Regardless, as you said, this is all fun. I haven't enjoyed listening to music this much...perhaps ever? That's a testament to your products. And I hope, from my amateur experience (and the massive amount of online research that went into my purchase), others can realize that they will experience a pronounced improvement if they go with Chanes, relative to some other options out there.
BufordTJustice and Roctopuss like this.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Subs: Klipsch R-120SW and Kenwood SW-35HT (8"); HiVi Swan X3 monitors (laptop)
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 Ultra; VCE SP250-2P
And don't forget - JVC HR-S3900U Super VHS - the last working VCR in America??
post #4505 of 4687 Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Thanks, as always, for feedback. I must say, with my current sub, I feel like your recommended 50 Hz (open-port) crossover for the L/R A5.4s is ideal, simply because they:

B. that bass response is tight and clean, whereas my sub in not always tight/clean

C. have so much headroom/ability to play at volume and fill a big room(s) (2300-4600+ cubic feet) that bogging them down with a slower sub is not ideal or necessary

Until the day I upgrade my sub (1-2 years from now, at best), I'll probably stick to this setting, and as I mentioned, if I run my bass a bit hot (+3-5 dB), I often remove the sub altogether for 2.0 music listening. I think it's important for others to know how good these A5.4s are, that they practically demand to be paired with a high-grade sub, or (if one cannot afford a high-grade sub, like me) getting the sub out of the way altogether!

I do still prefer to use 80 Hz crossover for the A2.4 center, open-port, although I may play around with closed port, simply to keep lower-pitched dialogue cleanest.

Regardless, as you said, this is all fun. I haven't enjoyed listening to music this much...perhaps ever? That's a testament to your products. And I hope, from my amateur experience (and the massive amount of online research that went into my purchase), others can realize that they will experience a pronounced improvement if they go with Chanes, relative to some other options out there.

I prefer running my A2.4 center at a 55-60Hz crossover with the port plugged. But this is all very situationally dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #4506 of 4687 Old 07-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I prefer running my A2.4 center at a 55-60Hz crossover with the port plugged. But this is all very situationally dependent.
See, now I have to try it! Will give it a go and see which I prefer. I must say, I've always been biased against plugging ports (although I have the A1.5 surrounds plugged due to wall/bookshelf proximity). I feel like I'm cutting a speaker off at the knees. Of course, with all the reading I've done, I realize that's not the case...but the bias remains. Thanks for the input.

7.2 system: Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3, Nintendo Switch, Sennheiser HDR130 headphones
post #4507 of 4687 Old 07-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:

When I ran the MCACC on my Pioneer, it selected 100 hz for the crossover on my A2.4's

FWIW it also selected 100 hz when I previously ran it on my Paradigm towers
post #4508 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Feet View Post
When I ran the MCACC on my Pioneer, it selected 100 hz for the crossover on my A2.4's

Yeah, 100hz is a garbage setting unless there are some SERIOUS physical anomalies going on.

I would start at 80Hz and play around from there. Disregard that 100Hz figure.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #4509 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1622
Quote:

It all depends on the room. Measuring is very helpful to determine the proper crossover point.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
post #4510 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
It all depends on the room. Measuring is very helpful to determine the proper crossover point.

If that ain't the truth. Every room is different.

post #4511 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, 100hz is a garbage setting unless there are some SERIOUS physical anomalies going on.

What's even stranger is that all my speakers go down to around 40hz.

I don't notice much of a difference between 80 and 100 in listening
post #4512 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

**The Official Chane Music and Cinema owner's thread**

Quote:
What's even stranger is that all my speakers go down to around 40hz.

I don't notice much of a difference between 80 and 100 in listening

Well the algorithms used by these programs are factoring in phase as much as amplitude before they spit out their recommended settings.

In a very large room in my old house (24'x24' with 11' ceilings), i got useable, tactile bass into the high 20's with the original A5's when run full range. Probably 12dB down or more from the reference signal level, but you could absolutely hear it and feel it.

However, they still couldn't hold a candle to my HSU VTF-15H that i had at that same frequency. Obviously. Room correction, i have found, is more predisposed to offload bass into the Sub/LFE to be conservative rather than burden the mains with it. Folks who run enormously capable JTR dual 15" mains still occasionally see done ridiculously high crossover settings even though they dig into the TEENS without a sub.

But, as SB said above, every room is different.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-16-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #4513 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

process and review posted: Chane 5.0 system

Hi all,
If anyone is interested in reading my excessively long, just-posted, multi-part thread on how I committed to a Chane 5.0 system (amidst a few other upgrades), here is the link. I'd appreciate your feedback and please let me know if I've made any erroneous statements!

post #4514 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Hi all,

If anyone is interested in reading my excessively long, just-posted, multi-part thread on how I committed to a Chane 5.0 system (amidst a few other upgrades), here is the link. I'd appreciate your feedback and please let me know if I've made any erroneous statements!

Wow. A fantastically thorough treatise! It really gives insight, and a roadmap, for others who are getting in the game again (or for the first time).

I really enjoyed reading your musical impressions.

I have also recently gotten into New Wave stuff. Wolfclub. The Midnight. Deadlife. FM-84. Gunship. Miami Nights 1984.

mpk1970 likes this.

post #4515 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Wow. A fantastically thorough treatise! It really gives insight, and a roadmap, for others who are getting in the game again (or for the first time).
That is great to hear, and exactly my intention. Please feel free to share the link with anyone who might be in a situation similar to myself - the amateur without a ton of cash who really, really wants great return on investment and really, really wants to get to the audiophile-level of immersive sound. I feel that's where I am now!
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

post #4516 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I’m strongly considering a Chane A2.4, as a center channel speaker. My CC is my weak link, and after recently watching “Blade Runner 2049”, and not being able to discern much of the dialogue, (there is a lot of almost whispering dialogue), many of it within a quiet scene, didn’t matter, I’ve had enough. Also doing any 5.1/7.1 music playback, my old “Mirage” CC didn’t blend in at all, and stood out in an over bright way.

Because of tight space requirements, my search for a new CC, had me looking at size as main consideration (low height needed). The two CC’s with the lowest height measurements were, DefTech ProCenter 2000 (6.5” H), and the Klipsch RP400C (5.6” H). But many owners/reviewers mentioned both had “bright” sound signatures, something I dislike.

Came to AVS and I read all the posts and reviews here (the speaker shoot out article, etc.), the Chane A2.4, was mentioned as a very neutral sound, which could help blend in with my non directional Ohm brand main speakers better, but most importantly, the A2.4 was noted as one of the best for CLEAR dialogue. So I realized that while the speaker has to fit my space, I should try to get the best speaker for the job, not just one that fits, but doesn’t sound proper. I’ll just have to figure a solution to fit it in.

I use the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 that’s included on my Denon 3500, I usually ignore the crossovers it shows after a run and set them according to my gear and preferences. With a A2.4 as my CC, port hole blocked, I would probably start with a crossover of 100hz, and let my Rythmik sub F12G handle the lower frequencies, hoping to keep the dialogue as clean and clear as possible, also playing with cascading crossovers, supposed to help with dialogue clarity (thread of this, here on AVS), LFE on Denon AVR = 80hz, LPF of LFE on subwoofer amp plate set to 80hz.
BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

HDTV: Panasonic P55VT50 Plasma
AVR: Denon X3500H
SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
MEDIA PLAYER: Oppo BD83
post #4517 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
I’m strongly considering a Chane A2.4, as a center channel speaker. My CC is my weak link, and after recently watching “Blade Runner 2049”, and not being able to discern much of the dialogue, (there is a lot of almost whispering dialogue), many of it within a quiet scene, didn’t matter, I’ve had enough. Also doing any 5.1/7.1 music playback, my old “Mirage” CC didn’t blend in at all, and stood out in an over bright way.

Because of tight space requirements, my search for a new CC, had me looking at size as main consideration (low height needed). The two CC’s with the lowest height measurements were, DefTech ProCenter 2000 (6.5” H), and the Klipsch RP400C (5.6” H). But many owners/reviewers mentioned both had “bright” sound signatures, something I dislike.

Came to AVS and I read all the posts and reviews here (the speaker shoot out article, etc.), the Chane A2.4, was mentioned as a very neutral sound, which could help blend in with my non directional Ohm brand main speakers better, but most importantly, the A2.4 was noted as one of the best for CLEAR dialogue. So I realized that while the speaker has to fit my space, I should try to get the best speaker for the job, not just one that fits, but doesn’t sound proper. I’ll just have to figure a solution to fit it in.

I use the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 that’s included on my Denon 3500, I usually ignore the crossovers it shows after a run and set them according to my gear and preferences. With a A2.4 as my CC, port hole blocked, I would probably start with a crossover of 100hz, and let my Rythmik sub F12G handle the lower frequencies, hoping to keep the dialogue as clean and clear as possible, also playing with cascading crossovers, supposed to help with dialogue clarity (thread of this, here on AVS), LFE on Denon AVR = 80hz, LPF of LFE on subwoofer amp plate set to 80hz.

Well, I'm using an A2.4 as a center with two large MTM Left and Right speakers. They use high-grade Danish 8" woofers and Italian compression drivers with a really good crossover. Really high grade stuff. And the A2.4 has no issue disappearing into the seamless front stage.

If you want vocal clarity, without bite, the A2.4 is it.

Mactavish likes this.

post #4518 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Much of my exhaustively long review (here) of my new 5.0 Chane setup focused on vocal/dialogue clarity, specifically from the A2.4 CC - check out the later posts (post 5 specifically) in the thread for my impressions (in a word, dazzzzzling!). I couldn't be happier with it, and it's only 7.1 " tall when laying horizontally, so maybe you could work out a solution.

post #4519 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi all,
Indeed, a very well written and informative post. It basically surmises exactly what I just went through when deciding to replace my center speaker. I never heard of Chane before, but then again, 10 years ago I never heard of Rythmik, and my F12G is still great and the companies doing well. Nice job, including links etc.

SPEAKERS: Ohm (mains), Chane 2.4 (center), Rythmik F12G (sub), DefTech ProMonitor 80 (sats)
post #4520 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Indeed, a very well written and informative post. It basically surmises exactly what I just went through when deciding to replace my center speaker. I never heard of Chane before, but then again, 10 years ago I never heard of Rythmik, and my F12G is still great and the companies doing well. Nice job, including links etc.
That was a primary motivator for writing my process/review thread - simply to list out possible ID options and to highlight the one I went with, Chane. Great sound, great clarity, great value. I feel like it needs to be shouted from the mountain tops. As a budget buyer, I want others to know about this option!

post #4521 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Much of my exhaustively long review (here) of my new 5.0 Chane setup focused on vocal/dialogue clarity, specifically from the A2.4 CC - check out the later posts (post 5 specifically) in the thread for my impressions (in a word, dazzzzzling!). I couldn't be happier with it, and it's only 7.1 " tall when laying horizontally, so maybe you could work out a solution.
Great thread, I believe many on a lower budget will benefit greatly learning of your journey. While my overall budget may have been larger 10 years ago then yours, I am a frugal buyer, want the most bang for my buck. When I learned of Rythmik and ID = Internet Direct, this opened up some more options. Your new system will benefit greatly once you get a Rythmik sub. Mine is only a 12” F12G, due to living in an apartment with neighbors, otherwise I’d have a larger version.

One note, regarding:
In your post #4 : “This is also why I’ve set my LFE low-pass filter (LPF) to 100 Hz instead of the default 120 Hz. Mark Seaton and others experienced in the realm of LFE recommend this setting for cleaner bass response.”

I’m assuming you have probably read the thread about cascading crossovers, if not let me know I’ll find the link. I came away from all I read that depending on your AVR one might try setting the LPF of LFE on the AVR to 80hz, and matching that on the subs amp LFE crossover to 80hz, to improve dialogue clarity a bit. This is done after running room correction like Audyssey, and doesn’t effect its filters, and can quickly be auditioned by user.

Thanks for taking the time to document and share your experiences!

post #4522 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I’m assuming you have probably read the thread about cascading crossovers, if not let me know I’ll find the link. I came away from all I read that depending on your AVR one might try setting the LPF of LFE on the AVR to 80hz, and matching that on the subs amp LFE crossover to 80hz, to improve dialogue clarity a bit. This is done after running room correction like Audyssey, and doesn’t effect its filters, and can quickly be auditioned by user.

Thanks for the kind feedback!

Yeah, I've been reading about cascading crossovers and LPF for LFE, and trying to experiment with my settings. Lots of people said to leave it (LPF) at 120 Hz, but Seaton and another LFE expert (whose name escapes my memory right now) were addressing LPF specifically in regards to generating tighter bass responses for improved clarity. That being said, I'm still experimenting and will definitely try 80 Hz, as well. I'm finding that, in order to optimize for different content, I do have to tweak some AVR settings on the fly instead of a single setting for everything. Thanks for the input!

I also need to try a 50 Hz A2.4 CC crossover, with the port plugged, as per @BufordTJustice 's advice.

All, or at least a lot, of my tweaking will likely go away once I upgrade the sub, but that's a long ways off.

post #4523 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the kind feedback!

Yeah, I've been reading about cascading crossovers and LPF for LFE, and trying to experiment with my settings. Lots of people said to leave it (LPF) at 120 Hz, but Seaton and another LFE expert (whose name escapes my memory right now) were addressing LPF specifically in regards to generating tighter bass responses for improved clarity. That being said, I'm still experimenting and will definitely try 80 Hz, as well. I'm finding that, in order to optimize for different content, I do have to tweak some AVR settings on the fly instead of a single setting for everything. Thanks for the input!

I also need to try a 50 Hz A2.4 CC crossover, with the port plugged, as per @BufordTJustice 's advice.

All, or at least a lot, of my tweaking will likely go away once I upgrade the sub, but that's a long ways off.
As “Buford” mentioned crossover settings can be system as well as room sensitive. I’m not familiar with his gear, but from reading his many contributions, he certainly knows his stuff! You guys might be taking more about using the A2.4’s as main speakers, and allowing them to carry more LF signals. For my mains I stick to 80hz crossovers, but I’m interested in this speaker for a center channel only, and in that case I’d start with a crossover of 100hz, and let the Rythmik sub handle the lower end, again my main goal is movie voice clarity, and if I get better music playback integration, I’d be thrilled. If the LF base response of the A2.4’s beats your current sub, then as you know, saving up for that will top off your system. After my main speaker decision, I spent the next amount of my budget on a subwoofer, 2.1, so that was obvious to me.

My mistake was not understanding the importance of the center channel for movies, and I bought an inexpensive center mostly because it fit a space. And it’s horrible when I play any high quality 5.1/7.1 music sources, I just experimented by turning down the CC by -8db’s and it still stood out over my mains.

post #4524 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great thread, I believe many on a lower budget will benefit greatly learning of your journey. While my overall budget may have been larger 10 years ago then yours, I am a frugal buyer, want the most bang for my buck. When I learned of Rythmik and ID = Internet Direct, this opened up some more options. Your new system will benefit greatly once you get a Rythmik sub. Mine is only a 12” F12G, due to living in an apartment with neighbors, otherwise I’d have a larger version.

One note, regarding:

In your post #4 : “This is also why I’ve set my LFE low-pass filter (LPF) to 100 Hz instead of the default 120 Hz. Mark Seaton and others experienced in the realm of LFE recommend this setting for cleaner bass response.”

Just FYI on Rythmik plate amp's it's low pass and 12/24dB slope settings only work when the dedicated line inputs are used not the LFE.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #4525 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Just FYI on Rythmik plate amp's it's low pass and 12/24dB slope settings only work when the dedicated line inputs are used not the LFE.
Be cautious when making general statements. Rythmik sells a bunch of different model plate amps. The A370PEQ on my F12G has no LFE input, I can use all the settings. Input choices on this model are only “Line Level/High Level inputs”. I have a knob that goes from 25-150hz, called crossover. Some of Rythmik’s other products do have an additional LFE input. The Rythmik site has good photos of the speakers and amps, as well as what the settings mean, along with explanations and articles. Some lower end amps may only have a single LFE input, not sure if Rythmik sells those, most now have one of each type. If you get stuck with one, then you have to manage those settings via your AVR if possible.

post #4526 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Update on the A1.5 L&R and The A2.4 Center. I decided to turn off my PSA V1510 and run my front stage at full range.... HOLY **** the bass is crazy! I can only imagine how the towers sound! I currently have the port plugs in... ill remove them and run room correction again and just enjoy them at full range. I'm enjoying Netflix's "Dark" TV show...it has very good surround & LFE.
BufordTJustice and jwskud like this.
post #4527 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I set it at 50hz.... Didn't sound that much different. I'm enjoying the lcr setup. The nht superones are a great pair of surrounds, and the Hsu VT2 MK5 is plenty low and musical, but I should've ponied up and gotten the 15" VT3 MK5. I think that would be a game changer on DVD night.
post #4528 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Be cautious when making general statements. Rythmik sells a bunch of different model plate amps. The A370PEQ on my F12G has no LFE input, I can use all the settings. Input choices on this model are only “Line Level/High Level inputs”. I have a knob that goes from 25-150hz, called crossover. Some of Rythmik’s other products do have an additional LFE input. The Rythmik site has good photos of the speakers and amps, as well as what the settings mean, along with explanations and articles. Some lower end amps may only have a single LFE input, not sure if Rythmik sells those, most now have one of each type. If you get stuck with one, then you have to manage those settings via your AVR if possible.
So sorry. For the standard amp available on the F12 or F12G only in lieu of an LFE input there are stereo RCA high pass outs instead. For all the other Rythmik plate amp's without stereo HPF outs the LFE input disables the low pass settings. I'm familiar with Rythmiks website and what the settings mean. Here's a list of their plate amp's both with and without LFE inputs. The one without is yours. Point being generally most buying a Rythmik sub won't lack an LFE input (present company excluded) so it's a good thing to know so they don't look stupid saying how their golden ears can hear a difference with cascading crossovers and 12 or 24dB slopes all the while they are connected through the LFE input. This one's for the team not just one player. Glad yours is getting fixed soon.
Mactavish likes this.

post #4529 of 4687 Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelliott2 View Post
Update on the A1.5 L&R and The A2.4 Center. I decided to turn off my PSA V1510 and run my front stage at full range.... HOLY **** the bass is crazy! I can only imagine how the towers sound! I currently have the port plugs in... ill remove them and run room correction again and just enjoy them at full range. I'm enjoying Netflix's "Dark" TV show...it has very good surround & LFE.
Seriously?

post #4530 of 4687 Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Seriously?
My experience is similar (click on the link for the Chane system in my signature for my full evaluation) with the A5.4s. A bass boost on my AVR (+3-8 dB, paired with parabolic EQ) gives a really nice, room-filling, clean bass response even in 2.0. As I stated in the review, it's not room-shaking bass like I get with my sub, and it isn't as deep as my sub (which only extends to 29 Hz at -3 dB), but it's pretty amazing to get it out of 3x 5.25" woofers!
Roctopuss likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
a1.4 , a2.4 , a5.4 , chane , l-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page